An Excellent Way to Get My Attention

James Nicoll

Nov 19, 2006, 8:12:26 PM11/19/06

English is like that, I'm afraid," Jim said, "It doesn't so much borrow
words and idioms from other languages and cultures as chase them down
dark alleys, bludgeon them into submission, and go through their pockets."

- James T. Kirk, chapter 11 of The Empty Chair, by Diane Duane

(This is a 2006 book)

The close observer may note a passing similarity to this:

The problem with defending the purity of the English language is that
English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just borrow words;
on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways to beat
them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.

* Usenet article <1990May15....@watdragon.waterloo.edu>

The book is reportedly unmarred by any mention of _my_
name.

I suppose I could use this to start a thread about SF stories
that borrowed ideas from me but as far as I know, aside from the above,
the list is fairly short (although non-zero).

--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

David Tate

Nov 19, 2006, 10:29:05 PM11/19/06
James Nicoll wrote:
> English is like that, I'm afraid," Jim said, "It doesn't so much borrow
> words and idioms from other languages and cultures as chase them down
> dark alleys, bludgeon them into submission, and go through their pockets."
>
> - James T. Kirk, chapter 11 of The Empty Chair, by Diane Duane
>
> (This is a 2006 book)

James, as much as I sympathize with you for having been flagrantly
plagiarized like that, I'm afraid my primary reaction was deep
annoyance that Diane Duane feels the need to emply her talents writing
Star Trek books these days.

David Tate

James Nicoll

Nov 19, 2006, 10:41:16 PM11/19/06
In article <1163993345....@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
For some peculiar reason, my capacity for sympathy for her is
at an ebb just now but my understanding (because she dabbled in Trek in
olden days) is that it is something she enjoys.

It's a dying franchise, so I imagine the total money in it
is shrinking with time. You want someone with a big old bucket of
squid-fried moolah, go talk to the Star Wars franchisers.

Robert Hutchinson

Nov 19, 2006, 10:44:36 PM11/19/06

Whereas my primary reaction is "how the hell does that fit into a Star
Trek novel non-gratuitously?" James, at the risk of straining fair use
(cough cough), could you provide the lead-in to that bit?

My secondary reaction is to hope that Duane, who seems like a nice
enough sort (certainly when she's posted here in the past), somehow
managed to completely forget that the quoted bit had a particular source.

--
Robert Hutchinson

Robert Hutchinson

Nov 19, 2006, 10:46:52 PM11/19/06
Robert Hutchinson wrote:

> My secondary reaction is to hope that Duane, who seems like a nice
> enough sort (certainly when she's posted here in the past), somehow
> managed to completely forget that the quoted bit had a particular source.

Unrelated, and it's possible it's not causing a problem for anyone, but
I'd like to apologize for Thunderbird's ... unique approach to line
wrapping. There must be a setting to insert returns automatically in
here somewhere...

--
Robert Hutchinson

James Nicoll

Nov 19, 2006, 10:59:08 PM11/19/06
In article <My98h.152476$aJ.96419@attbi_s21>,
I avoided problems with Thunderbird by failing to master installing
it properly. Huzzah! To make up for that, my Logitech mouse, now rather old,
is demonstrating increasingly eccentric behaviors such as teleporting the
pointer to a different part of the screen just as you are double-clicking,
spontaneously opening a zillion windows or (and this is more annoying)
closing programs like, oh, a word document, all on its own.

For news, though, don't you really want something like trn?

David Tate

Nov 19, 2006, 11:46:11 PM11/19/06
James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <1163993345....@f16g2000cwb.googlegroups.com>,
> David Tate <dt...@ida.org> wrote:
> >
> >James, as much as I sympathize with you for having been flagrantly
> >plagiarized like that, I'm afraid my primary reaction was deep
> >annoyance that Diane Duane feels the need to emply her talents writing
> >Star Trek books these days.
> >
> For some peculiar reason, my capacity for sympathy for her is
> at an ebb just now

Who said anything about sympathy? My annoyance is primarily with
*her*, assuming she doesn't desperately need the money. I'd assumed
that the Young Wizards franchise had taken care of that.

David Tate

Robert Hutchinson

Nov 20, 2006, 12:12:57 AM11/20/06
James Nicoll wrote:

> I avoided problems with Thunderbird by failing to master installing
> it properly. Huzzah! To make up for that, my Logitech mouse, now rather old,
> is demonstrating increasingly eccentric behaviors such as teleporting the
> pointer to a different part of the screen just as you are double-clicking,
> spontaneously opening a zillion windows or (and this is more annoying)
> closing programs like, oh, a word document, all on its own.
>
> For news, though, don't you really want something like trn?

My mouse is working properly, thank you. =P

I keep switching newsreaders every couple of years, and each successive
choice is not great, but okay enough that I don't feel like trying to
dig up a better one. Thunderbird, in addition to wrapping lines when I'm
composing but not when I'm reading, puts useless colored bars in place
of >'s. Gravity was *almost* what I wanted, but crashed just often
enough to irk me.

--
Robert Hutchinson

Mike Schilling

Nov 20, 2006, 12:49:05 AM11/20/06

"Robert Hutchinson" <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

OE must have a complementary set of bugs, because it read fine to me.

netcat

Nov 20, 2006, 7:15:23 AM11/20/06
In article <llb8h.17087$B31...@newssvr27.news.prodigy.net>,
mscotts...@hotmail.com says...

Looks fine in Gravity, as well.

rgds,
netcat

Sea Wasp

Nov 20, 2006, 7:29:00 AM11/20/06

Harry Potter aside, it's quite possible to have a reasonably
successful series and still need more money.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

James Nicoll

Nov 20, 2006, 9:18:34 AM11/20/06
In article <45619F8D...@sgeobviousinc.com>,
It's also possible to like a TV series and want to write in that
universe regardless of the money. Fanfic would be one existance proof.

Also, the Rihannsu books started with MY ENEMY, MY ALLY in 1984.
This is part of a long running series of hers, not a late entry into the
field like, oh, James White's final book (which was as far as I can recall
his only media tie-in novel).

I am not a Trek fan but if you look over the list of people who
dabbled in Trek, even if you put aside Old Trek, you see names like Ford,
Bear and Kagan.

James Nicoll

Nov 20, 2006, 9:31:02 AM11/20/06
As soon as the matter was drawn to her attention, Duane took
steps to rectify it.

My experience in IP conflict resolution is from the gaming
industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.
Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
better).

Taki Kogoma

Nov 20, 2006, 11:41:11 AM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:18:34 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
allegedly declared to rec.arts.sf.written...

>In article <45619F8D...@sgeobviousinc.com>,
>Sea Wasp <seawasp...@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:
>>David Tate wrote:
>>> Who said anything about sympathy? My annoyance is primarily with
>>> *her*, assuming she doesn't desperately need the money. I'd assumed
>>> that the Young Wizards franchise had taken care of that.
>>
>> Harry Potter aside, it's quite possible to have a reasonably
>>successful series and still need more money.
>
> It's also possible to like a TV series and want to write in that
>universe regardless of the money. Fanfic would be one existance proof.

And I have no reason to doubt that she still enjoys playing in her
particular version of the Trek-verse. That this also helps her to
feed the cats is gravy.

> Also, the Rihannsu books started with MY ENEMY, MY ALLY in 1984.
>This is part of a long running series of hers, not a late entry into the
>field like, oh, James White's final book (which was as far as I can recall
>his only media tie-in novel).

More specifically, she more or less said that she'd be writing this
book (and finishing the story arc) after Rihannsu books 3 and 4 were
published in 2000.

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk (Known to some as Taki Kogoma) quirk @ swcp.com
Just an article detector on the Information Supercollider.

Garrett Wollman

Nov 20, 2006, 11:57:22 AM11/20/06
In article <Ew98h.152473$aJ.34011@attbi_s21>,
Robert Hutchinson <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>My secondary reaction is to hope that Duane, who seems like a nice
>enough sort (certainly when she's posted here in the past), somehow
>managed to completely forget that the quoted bit had a particular source.

The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
aphorism about probably doesn't help matters. Hopefully this has now
been put right.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman | The real tragedy of human existence is not that we are
wol...@csail.mit.edu| nasty by nature, but that a cruel structural asymmetry

James Nicoll

Nov 20, 2006, 12:09:40 PM11/20/06
In article <ejsmpi$2rtb$1...@grapevine.csail.mit.edu>,

Garrett Wollman <wol...@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>In article <Ew98h.152473$aJ.34011@attbi_s21>,
>Robert Hutchinson <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
>>My secondary reaction is to hope that Duane, who seems like a nice
>>enough sort (certainly when she's posted here in the past), somehow
>>managed to completely forget that the quoted bit had a particular source.
>
>The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
>aphorism about probably doesn't help matters. Hopefully this has now
>been put right.

Yes, apparently the way to go was to email her directly.

Brigid Nelson

Nov 20, 2006, 12:56:15 PM11/20/06
Garrett Wollman wrote:

> In article <Ew98h.152473$aJ.34011@attbi_s21>,
> Robert Hutchinson <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>

>>My secondary reaction is to hope that Duane, who seems like a nice
>>enough sort (certainly when she's posted here in the past), somehow
>>managed to completely forget that the quoted bit had a particular source.
>

> The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
> aphorism about probably doesn't help matters. Hopefully this has now
> been put right.
>
> -GAWollman

I wrote it down the first time I saw it, somehow the version I saw was
the original and so now I am sure of the attribution.
Thanks,
brigid

James Nicoll

Nov 20, 2006, 2:00:37 PM11/20/06
In article <ejsngk$fih$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <ejsmpi$2rtb$1...@grapevine.csail.mit.edu>,
>Garrett Wollman <wol...@csail.mit.edu> wrote:
>>In article <Ew98h.152473$aJ.34011@attbi_s21>,
>>Robert Hutchinson <ser...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>My secondary reaction is to hope that Duane, who seems like a nice
>>>enough sort (certainly when she's posted here in the past), somehow
>>>managed to completely forget that the quoted bit had a particular source.
>>
>>The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
>>aphorism about probably doesn't help matters. Hopefully this has now
>>been put right.
>>
> Yes, apparently the way to go was to email her directly.

And for all you aspiring writers out there, 18 hours seems to
be a reasonable response time from a major publisher.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Nov 20, 2006, 2:20:20 PM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:31:02 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

>Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
>attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
>while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
>better).

RevCan?

The second issue of Helix is at http://www.helixsf.com
A new Ethshar novel is being serialized at http://www.ethshar.com/thevondishambassador1.html

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Nov 20, 2006, 2:21:05 PM11/20/06
Nicoll) wrote:

> I am not a Trek fan but if you look over the list of people who
>dabbled in Trek, even if you put aside Old Trek, you see names like Ford,
>Bear and Kagan.

Trek is fun to write, and pays well enough that it's easy to justify
it to one's dependents.

David Johnston

Nov 20, 2006, 2:24:06 PM11/20/06
On 19 Nov 2006 20:12:26 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
wrote:

> The book is reportedly unmarred by any mention of _my_
>name.

Don't get all Colbert on us.

James Nicoll

Nov 20, 2006, 3:12:23 PM11/20/06
In article <3vv3m2l2d7dbr6d17...@news.rcn.com>,

Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:31:02 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
>Nicoll) wrote:
>
>>Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
>>attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
>>while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
>>better).
>
>RevCan?

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

David Tate

Nov 20, 2006, 3:21:49 PM11/20/06
James Nicoll wrote:

> I am not a Trek fan but if you look over the list of people who
> dabbled in Trek, even if you put aside Old Trek, you see names like Ford,
> Bear and Kagan.

In Kagan's case, the publisher holding the manuscript of _Hellspark_ in
his hand said to her "I adore this. I am not allowed to purchase first
novels, except for Star Trek novels. HINT! HINT!".

David Tate

Konrad Gaertner

Nov 20, 2006, 3:27:59 PM11/20/06
Robert Hutchinson wrote:

> I keep switching newsreaders every couple of years, and each successive
> choice is not great, but okay enough that I don't feel like trying to
> dig up a better one. Thunderbird, in addition to wrapping lines when I'm
> composing but not when I'm reading, puts useless colored bars in place
> of >'s. Gravity was *almost* what I wanted, but crashed just often
> enough to irk me.

I'm still using Netscape 4.8 for usenet. Old as hell, but it does
everything I really need. Thunderbird *should* be what I want to
use, but I couldn't get it to save customizations (like column widths
and a Next Unread button) and it somehow managed to completely screw
up message threading. Here's my attempt to get help from the forums:

Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - - - email: gae...@aol.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/
"I don't mind hidden depths but I insist that there be a surface."
-- James Nicoll

Gary Thompson

Nov 20, 2006, 3:54:59 PM11/20/06

James Nicoll wrote:
> In article <3vv3m2l2d7dbr6d17...@news.rcn.com>,
> Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
> >On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:31:02 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
> >Nicoll) wrote:
> >
> >>Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
> >>attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
> >>while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
> >>better).
> >
> >RevCan?
> >
> http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/menu-e.html

I took this instead as meaning Revisions to Canon (i.e.,
Retconning)--probably a much more fun way to screw with gaming
companies.

Damien Sullivan

Nov 20, 2006, 4:05:53 PM11/20/06
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>In article <ejsngk$fih$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

>> Yes, apparently the way to go was to email her directly.
>
> And for all you aspiring writers out there, 18 hours seems to
>be a reasonable response time from a major publisher.

I don't think they'll thank you for that...

I'd imagined "we'll put an attribution into the next printing" would be
a reasonable response. Also that a major publisher might show some
alacrity in response to the words "copyright violation".

-xx- Damien X-)

James Nicoll

Nov 20, 2006, 4:12:23 PM11/20/06
In article <1164056098.9...@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
Alas, I seem farther from a working time machine than I
am from aggressive cyborgification (and OHIP is surprisingly
hostile to the idea of outfitting me with a weaponized Therac
25 or servos capable of tearing a car door off). I like the
idea a lot, though. A lot of history is badly constructed and
implausible.

James Nicoll

Nov 20, 2006, 4:21:11 PM11/20/06
In article <ejt5bh$bsd$3...@naig.caltech.edu>,
Bureaucracies have minimum reflex times, which I imagine can
vary from "wow" to "We got the letter when this sedimentary layer
was laid down and up here, at this layer of tuff, is when we sent
the reply." Publishers are almost by definition bureaucracies,
except for the little ones, who are overworked.

I would guess it helps a lot if the company's attitude towards
email isn't "We poked it with a stick and it moved, so now we're behind
the couch, staring at it with big eyes." It seems to me that at least
one publisher (not of books) dumped email all together, which would
force communication to rely on snail mail or the phone.

Robert Hutchinson

Nov 20, 2006, 6:07:57 PM11/20/06
Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> Robert Hutchinson wrote:
>> I keep switching newsreaders every couple of years, and each successive
>> choice is not great, but okay enough that I don't feel like trying to
>> dig up a better one. Thunderbird, in addition to wrapping lines when I'm
>> composing but not when I'm reading, puts useless colored bars in place
>> of >'s. Gravity was *almost* what I wanted, but crashed just often
>> enough to irk me.
>
> I'm still using Netscape 4.8 for usenet. Old as hell, but it does
> everything I really need.

That was actually the last reader I really *enjoyed* using. I used it
for a couple of years after finally giving up on Navigator.

> Thunderbird *should* be what I want to
> use, but I couldn't get it to save customizations (like column widths
> and a Next Unread button) and it somehow managed to completely screw
> up message threading. Here's my attempt to get help from the forums:

They might have improved it a bit in the last year. I've had no problems
with column widths. I do have a gripe with the "View:" dropdown--I set
my default view for all groups to "Threads with unread", and the default
works ... but it's not listed in that dropdown.

> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=374938

Wow. How do they react to a BSoD? "I see words and colors--everything's
fine!"

--
Robert Hutchinson

Robert Hutchinson

Nov 20, 2006, 6:12:19 PM11/20/06
Mike Schilling wrote:
> Robert Hutchinson wrote ...

>> Robert Hutchinson wrote:
>>
>>> My secondary reaction is to hope that Duane, who seems like a nice enough
>>> sort (certainly when she's posted here in the past), somehow managed to
>>> completely forget that the quoted bit had a particular source.
>> Unrelated, and it's possible it's not causing a problem for anyone, but
>> I'd like to apologize for Thunderbird's ... unique approach to line
>> wrapping. There must be a setting to insert returns automatically in
>> here somewhere...
>
> OE must have a complementary set of bugs, because it read fine to me.

It seems to be doing what it's doing only to my posts, *and* only on my
end. It wraps while I'm composing, but viewed in a thread, my lines go
all the way to the end of the screen. It's ugly and irritating enough
that I've been putting in returns manually before sending, while I try
to find a better solution.

--
Robert Hutchinson

Howard Brazee

Nov 20, 2006, 7:19:56 PM11/20/06
On Mon, 20 Nov 2006 14:21:05 -0500, Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net>
wrote:

>Trek is fun to write, and pays well enough that it's easy to justify
>it to one's dependents.

It's interesting to watch signings at conventions when authors have
significant movie & TV related books.

When I bring my books around - those are missing. But others bring
predominately the genre stuff.

Sea Wasp

Nov 20, 2006, 7:24:16 PM11/20/06
James Nicoll wrote:
> As soon as the matter was drawn to her attention, Duane took
> steps to rectify it.
>
> My experience in IP conflict resolution is from the gaming
> industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
> Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.

My only paid experiences with the gaming industry were with WotC,
which were not merely acceptable, but kind and generous as working
partners. Apparently I was badly spoiled.

R/T

Nov 20, 2006, 10:57:32 PM11/20/06
James Nicoll wrote:

> For news, though, don't you really want something like trn?

Too bad trn is no longer being supported. I love the 'wumpus'
display, but am sticking to slrn (which I strongly suggest you
check out since you're a fellow console junkie).

There's one macro in slrn that I cannot live without, particularly
in busy newsgroups such as this one. It's called onekey-score.

Basically, when I see a thread I like, I hit 'W' to watch it,
which scores the thread to an arbitrary high value (in my case
8888). When I see a thread I don't care for, I hit the 'Del' key,
which gives it a kill score of -9999. Tomorrow, when I check out
the same newsgroup, I will no longer see the threads I don't care
for, and will see the interesting ones up top. I only need to
ignore a thread once and never see it again, rather than see it
day after day in the subject view.

--
CANADA: 139 years in the same location! Open to serve you 24 hours
per day, 7 days per week. Now with 3 Territories!

John Bauman

Nov 20, 2006, 10:58:15 PM11/20/06
Robert Hutchinson wrote:
> James Nicoll wrote:
>
>> I avoided problems with Thunderbird by failing to master installing
>> it properly. Huzzah! To make up for that, my Logitech mouse, now rather old,
>> is demonstrating increasingly eccentric behaviors such as teleporting the
>> pointer to a different part of the screen just as you are double-clicking,
>> spontaneously opening a zillion windows or (and this is more annoying)
>> closing programs like, oh, a word document, all on its own.
>>
>> For news, though, don't you really want something like trn?
>
> My mouse is working properly, thank you. =P

> I keep switching newsreaders every couple of years, and each successive
> choice is not great, but okay enough that I don't feel like trying to
> dig up a better one. Thunderbird, in addition to wrapping lines when I'm
> composing but not when I'm reading, puts useless colored bars in place
> of >'s. Gravity was *almost* what I wanted, but crashed just often
> enough to irk me.

If you install the Quote Colors extension you can turn those colored
bars off. That was the first thing I did when I installed Thunderbird.

Robert Hutchinson

Nov 21, 2006, 1:18:51 AM11/21/06
John Bauman wrote:

> If you install the Quote Colors extension you can turn those colored
> bars off. That was the first thing I did when I installed Thunderbird.

And again, it is proven that the best way to find out something on the
Internet is to profess ignorance as to its location, existence, etc.

Thanks! It turns off that automatic *bolding* and _underlining_, too.

--
Robert Hutchinson

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Nov 21, 2006, 1:51:58 AM11/21/06
In article <slrnem4u1...@news.readfreenews.net>,

R/T <ru...@this.address.is.invalid> wrote:

>James Nicoll wrote:
>
>> For news, though, don't you really want something like trn?
>
>Too bad trn is no longer being supported. I love the 'wumpus'
>display, but am sticking to slrn (which I strongly suggest you
>check out since you're a fellow console junkie).

That's only a problem if you want to change something. Works fine
for me..

Ted

pan

Nov 21, 2006, 2:35:19 AM11/21/06

"James Nicoll" <jdni...@panix.com> wrote in message

> English is like that, I'm afraid," Jim said, "It doesn't so much
> borrow
> words and idioms from other languages and cultures as chase them
> down
> dark alleys, bludgeon them into submission, and go through their
> pockets."
>
> - James T. Kirk, chapter 11 of The Empty Chair, by Diane Duane
>
> (This is a 2006 book)
>
> The close observer may note a passing similarity to this:
>
> The problem with defending the purity of the English language is
> that
> English is about as pure as a cribhouse whore. We don't just
> borrow words;
> on occasion, English has pursued other languages down alleyways
> to beat
> them unconscious and rifle their pockets for new vocabulary.
>
> * Usenet article
> <1990May15....@watdragon.waterloo.edu>

> The book is reportedly unmarred by any mention of _my_
> name.
>
> I suppose I could use this to start a thread about SF stories
> that borrowed ideas from me but as far as I know, aside from the
> above,
> the list is fairly short (although non-zero).

> --
> http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
> http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
> http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with
> defending the English language [...]" T-shirt, cup and tote-bag
> needs)

Is this new?

http://paizo.com/store/apparel/tShirts/pegasusPublishing/v5748btpy7roh

Derek Lyons

Nov 21, 2006, 4:41:35 AM11/21/06
Konrad Gaertner <kgae...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>Robert Hutchinson wrote:
>>
>> I keep switching newsreaders every couple of years, and each successive
>> choice is not great, but okay enough that I don't feel like trying to
>> dig up a better one. Thunderbird, in addition to wrapping lines when I'm
>> composing but not when I'm reading, puts useless colored bars in place
>> of >'s. Gravity was *almost* what I wanted, but crashed just often
>> enough to irk me.
>
>I'm still using Netscape 4.8 for usenet. Old as hell, but it does
>everything I really need.

Indeed. I'm still using Agent 1.5

D.
--
Touch-twice life. Eat. Drink. Laugh.

Oct 5th, 2004 JDL

Petri Kokko

Nov 21, 2006, 10:20:07 AM11/21/06
pan:

>> http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with
>> defending the English language [...]" T-shirt, cup and tote-bag needs)
>
> Is this new?
> http://paizo.com/store/apparel/tShirts/pegasusPublishing/v5748btpy7roh

And just to make the quoting-a-quote circle complete so
it loops back to sf writers:

Hell's Gate by David Weber & Linda Evans (Chapter 26):

"One of her friends at the Academy had a T-shirt which
proclaimed that 'Ransaran doesn't borrow from other
languages. It follows other languages down dark alleys,
knocks them on the head, and goes through their pockets
for loose grammar.'"

But fear not, I'm confident that Mr Nicoll will return
fire by including a reference to female captains with
eye patches in his next novel or something like that. :-)

Petri...@junkmail.here

Harry Erwin

Nov 22, 2006, 10:44:14 AM11/22/06
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

> As soon as the matter was drawn to her attention, Duane took
> steps to rectify it.
>
> My experience in IP conflict resolution is from the gaming
> industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
> Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.

> Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
> attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
> while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
> better).

After a certain gaming company took over the assets of another, two of
my articles appeared (in one of the magazines taken over) under the new
editor's by-line. I think he found them in the files...

--
Harry Erwin <http://www.theworld.com/~herwin>
My neuroscience wikiwiki is at

James Nicoll

Nov 22, 2006, 10:47:06 AM11/22/06
In article <1hp7n63.rcbbq517w5eheN%her...@theworld.com>,

Harry Erwin <her...@theworld.com> wrote:
>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> As soon as the matter was drawn to her attention, Duane took
>> steps to rectify it.
>>
>> My experience in IP conflict resolution is from the gaming
>> industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
>> Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.
>> Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
>> attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
>> while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
>> better).
>
>After a certain gaming company took over the assets of another, two of
>my articles appeared (in one of the magazines taken over) under the new
>editor's by-line. I think he found them in the files...

Would this be the same company who gleefully announced that
they'd figured out how to avoid paying people for reprinting their
material, who were surprised when the writers involved reacted
poorly to this?

James Nicoll

Nov 22, 2006, 10:49:07 AM11/22/06
In article <ek1rdq$kbe$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <1hp7n63.rcbbq517w5eheN%her...@theworld.com>,
>Harry Erwin <her...@theworld.com> wrote:
>>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As soon as the matter was drawn to her attention, Duane took
>>> steps to rectify it.
>>>
>>> My experience in IP conflict resolution is from the gaming
>>> industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
>>> Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.
>>> Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
>>> attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
>>> while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
>>> better).
>>
>>After a certain gaming company took over the assets of another, two of
>>my articles appeared (in one of the magazines taken over) under the new
>>editor's by-line. I think he found them in the files...
>>
> Would this be the same company who gleefully announced that
>they'd figured out how to avoid paying people for reprinting their
>material, who were surprised when the writers involved reacted
>poorly to this?

A quick word to the people who usually pop up at this point
with "But it's an honor just to get published!" So is having your
organs harvested so that I can tamper with God's domain and if you
are willing to put up with one, it implies you are ok with the other.

Dan Goodman

Nov 22, 2006, 11:24:04 AM11/22/06
James Nicoll wrote:

> A quick word to the people who usually pop up at this point
> with "But it's an honor just to get published!" So is having your
> organs harvested so that I can tamper with God's domain and if you
> are willing to put up with one, it implies you are ok with the other.

Let me note that I've been published in the same venue as Larry Niven,
for exactly the same rate of pay.

--
Dan Goodman
All political parties die at last of swallowing their own lies.

Sean O'Hara

Nov 22, 2006, 12:50:52 PM11/22/06
In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Robert Hutchinson
declared:

> Mike Schilling wrote:
>
>> Robert Hutchinson wrote ...
>>
>>> Unrelated, and it's possible it's not causing a problem for anyone, but
>>> I'd like to apologize for Thunderbird's ... unique approach to line
>>> wrapping. There must be a setting to insert returns automatically in
>>> here somewhere...
>>
>> OE must have a complementary set of bugs, because it read fine to me.
>
> It seems to be doing what it's doing only to my posts, *and* only on my
> end. It wraps while I'm composing, but viewed in a thread, my lines go
> all the way to the end of the screen.

I have a similar problem with TB. The composition window wraps lines
at 72 characters, as specified in my preferences, but when I view
the posted message, the program rewraps it to the width of the
window. It doesn't do this to anyone else's messages, no one's
complained about it, and looking my posts up on Google doesn't show
any formatting problems, so I assume TB has some quirk for
displaying messages it originates.

--
Sean O'Hara | http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com
Zapp Brannigan: When I'm in command, every mission is a suicide mission.

Sean O'Hara

Nov 22, 2006, 12:55:26 PM11/22/06
In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Garrett Wollman declared:

> The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
> aphorism about probably doesn't help matters.

That's the First Law of Epigrams -- any pithy quote not in verse
form will eventually be attributed to Ben Frankly, Mark Twain, Oscar
Wilde, or Winston Churchill.

Leela: It's not his fault that he's an unstoppable killing machine.
Is it snuggums?
-Futurama

Mike Schilling

Nov 22, 2006, 4:04:20 PM11/22/06

"Sean O'Hara" <sean...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Garrett Wollman declared:
>>
>> The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
>> aphorism about probably doesn't help matters.
>
> That's the First Law of Epigrams -- any pithy quote not in verse
> form will eventually be attributed to Ben Frankly, Mark Twain, Oscar
> Wilde, or Winston Churchill.

Didn't George Bernard Shaw say that?

David McMillan

Nov 22, 2006, 12:50:37 PM11/22/06
Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> Robert Hutchinson wrote:
>> I keep switching newsreaders every couple of years, and each successive
>> choice is not great, but okay enough that I don't feel like trying to
>> dig up a better one. Thunderbird, in addition to wrapping lines when I'm
>> composing but not when I'm reading, puts useless colored bars in place
>> of >'s. Gravity was *almost* what I wanted, but crashed just often
>> enough to irk me.
>
> I'm still using Netscape 4.8 for usenet. Old as hell, but it does
> everything I really need. Thunderbird *should* be what I want to
> use, but I couldn't get it to save customizations (like column widths
> and a Next Unread button) and it somehow managed to completely screw
> up message threading. Here's my attempt to get help from the forums:

Eh? "Next Unread" is N, or the spacebar. I've been cruising this very
thread that way. F takes you to the next message, regardless of whether
it's read or unread. Been that way for the last 3-4 versions I've used,
at least. When did you have this problem?

> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=374938

I'd go there, but I'm reading/replying offline. One thing Thunderbird
is tolerably good for.

Dan Goodman

Nov 22, 2006, 8:00:44 PM11/22/06
Sean O'Hara wrote:

> In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Garrett Wollman
> declared:
> >
> > The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
> > aphorism about probably doesn't help matters.
>
> That's the First Law of Epigrams -- any pithy quote not in verse
> form will eventually be attributed to Ben Frankly, Mark Twain, Oscar
> Wilde, or Winston Churchill.

Not always. For example, the one under discussion here gets attributed
to Booker T. Washington. Which is something I don't understand.

Konrad Gaertner

Nov 22, 2006, 11:31:51 PM11/22/06
David McMillan wrote:

> Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> >
> > I'm still using Netscape 4.8 for usenet. Old as hell, but it does
> > everything I really need. Thunderbird *should* be what I want to
> > use, but I couldn't get it to save customizations (like column widths
> > and a Next Unread button) and it somehow managed to completely screw
> > up message threading. Here's my attempt to get help from the forums:
>
> Eh? "Next Unread" is N, or the spacebar. I've been cruising this very
> thread that way. F takes you to the next message, regardless of whether
> it's read or unread. Been that way for the last 3-4 versions I've used,
> at least. When did you have this problem?

I usually use the mouse not keyboard when reading.

Paul Harman

Nov 23, 2006, 5:54:21 AM11/23/06
"James Nicoll" <jdni...@panix.com> wrote in message
> English is like that, I'm afraid," Jim said, "It doesn't so much borrow
> words and idioms from other languages and cultures as chase them down
> dark alleys, bludgeon them into submission, and go through their pockets."
>
> - James T. Kirk, chapter 11 of The Empty Chair, by Diane Duane

Now that's just rude. Not even a mention on the acknowledgements page?

Paul

frisbie...@yahoo.com

Nov 23, 2006, 10:17:43 AM11/23/06

James Nicoll wrote:
> As soon as the matter was drawn to her attention, Duane took
> steps to rectify it.
>
> My experience in IP conflict resolution is from the gaming
> industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
> Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.
> Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
> attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
> while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
> better).

Revolution in a Can? Gotta get me some of that.

Harry Erwin

Nov 24, 2006, 4:07:52 AM11/24/06
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

> In article <1hp7n63.rcbbq517w5eheN%her...@theworld.com>,
> Harry Erwin <her...@theworld.com> wrote:
> >James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> >
> >> As soon as the matter was drawn to her attention, Duane took
> >> steps to rectify it.
> >>
> >> My experience in IP conflict resolution is from the gaming
> >> industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
> >> Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.
> >> Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
> >> attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
> >> while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
> >> better).
> >
> >After a certain gaming company took over the assets of another, two of
> >my articles appeared (in one of the magazines taken over) under the new
> >editor's by-line. I think he found them in the files...
> >
> Would this be the same company who gleefully announced that
> they'd figured out how to avoid paying people for reprinting their
> material, who were surprised when the writers involved reacted
> poorly to this?

I don't know. Did the company you're referring to have a 3-letter
abbreviation as its name?

James Nicoll

Nov 24, 2006, 9:35:30 AM11/24/06
In article <1hpatqe.ntkvucbguj0cN%her...@theworld.com>,

Harry Erwin <her...@theworld.com> wrote:
>James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> In article <1hp7n63.rcbbq517w5eheN%her...@theworld.com>,
>> Harry Erwin <her...@theworld.com> wrote:

>> >After a certain gaming company took over the assets of another, two of
>> >my articles appeared (in one of the magazines taken over) under the new
>> >editor's by-line. I think he found them in the files...
>> >
>> Would this be the same company who gleefully announced that
>> they'd figured out how to avoid paying people for reprinting their
>> material, who were surprised when the writers involved reacted
>> poorly to this?
>
>I don't know. Did the company you're referring to have a 3-letter
>abbreviation as its name?

It _bought_ a company with three letters in its name and the IP
in question was originally published by that company.

David McMillan

Nov 24, 2006, 10:11:39 AM11/24/06
Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> David McMillan wrote:
>> Konrad Gaertner wrote:
>>> I'm still using Netscape 4.8 for usenet. Old as hell, but it does
>>> everything I really need. Thunderbird *should* be what I want to
>>> use, but I couldn't get it to save customizations (like column widths
>>> and a Next Unread button) and it somehow managed to completely screw
>>> up message threading. Here's my attempt to get help from the forums:
>> Eh? "Next Unread" is N, or the spacebar. I've been cruising this very
>> thread that way. F takes you to the next message, regardless of whether
>> it's read or unread. Been that way for the last 3-4 versions I've used,
>> at least. When did you have this problem?
>
> I usually use the mouse not keyboard when reading.

Ah! Well, there *is* a toolbar button available for the mouse that
duplicates N, but it's not present by default. If you right-click in
some blank space in the button toolbar and then click "Customize,"
there's a small list of extra buttons and dividers that you can add to
the toolbar by drag&drop. Not sure when that showed up, as I only
recently found it myself (being a keyboard browser by default).
There's also a Previous button that works like B.

David McMillan

Nov 24, 2006, 10:13:23 AM11/24/06

At the risk of sounding pedantic, I suspect James meant Revenue Canada,
the IRS of Canuckistan. Though it did take me a while to figure it out.

Harry Erwin

Nov 25, 2006, 2:12:41 PM11/25/06
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

For me, it was a three-letter company buying the assets (but not the
liabilities) of another three-letter company.

James Nicoll

Nov 25, 2006, 2:21:18 PM11/25/06
In article <1hpd05f.1tkz7at1tuopwiN%her...@theworld.com>,
Your acquiring TLA company is my acquired TLA company, bought by
a FLA with supertankers worth of $$.

Apparenly the capo de capo of the FLA happily announced "Forced
Sodomy! Without Lube! Using a sandpaper condom!" on a sekrit professionals
mailing list [1] and was astounded when he wasn't greeted with peals of
glee. After all, it was going to be fun for him.

1: Which I'm bitter about being banned from, btw.

Will in New Haven

Nov 25, 2006, 2:50:44 PM11/25/06
Sean O'Hara wrote:
> In the Year of the Dog, the Great and Powerful Garrett Wollman declared:
> >
> > The fact that there are all sorts of false attributions for James's
> > aphorism about probably doesn't help matters.
>
> That's the First Law of Epigrams -- any pithy quote not in verse
> form will eventually be attributed to Ben Frankly, Mark Twain, Oscar
> Wilde, or Winston Churchill.

First Law of UseNet Quoting: Any quote from a film that is attributed
will be attibuted to the actor, who recited it.

Second law of UseNet Quoting: Any song lyric that is attributed will be
attributed to the singer. At least this will be correct SOME of the
time.

Will in New Haven

--

"They took my saddle in Houston, broke my leg in Santa Fe.
Lost my wife and a girlfriend somewhere along the way.

:

Konrad Gaertner

Nov 25, 2006, 3:24:03 PM11/25/06
David McMillan wrote:

> Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> >
> > I usually use the mouse not keyboard when reading.
>
> Ah! Well, there *is* a toolbar button available for the mouse that
> duplicates N, but it's not present by default. If you right-click in
> some blank space in the button toolbar and then click "Customize,"
> there's a small list of extra buttons and dividers that you can add to
> the toolbar by drag&drop.

Right, and I did that many, many times. Because it *wouldn't* *save*.
See my original complaint above.

Chuk Goodin

Nov 28, 2006, 1:49:56 PM11/28/06
On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:13:23 -0500, David McMillan <spam...@skyefire.org> wrote:
>>> industry, who are, how to put this nicely? Somewhat less ethical than
>>> Hugo Gernsbeck, did not lead me to expect this particular outcome.
>>> Gaming has so many willing victims that to get a gaming company's
>>> attention, one has to resort to extreme measures (Interestingly,
>>> while suing them is effective, bringing RevCan in works even
>>> better).
>>>
>> Revolution in a Can? Gotta get me some of that.
>
> At the risk of sounding pedantic, I suspect James meant Revenue Canada,
>the IRS of Canuckistan. Though it did take me a while to figure it out.

They like to be called the CCRA now.

--
chuk

David McMillan

Nov 28, 2006, 10:19:22 AM11/28/06
Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> David McMillan wrote:
>>> I usually use the mouse not keyboard when reading.
>> Ah! Well, there *is* a toolbar button available for the mouse that
>> duplicates N, but it's not present by default. If you right-click in
>> some blank space in the button toolbar and then click "Customize,"
>> there's a small list of extra buttons and dividers that you can add to
>> the toolbar by drag&drop.
>
> Right, and I did that many, many times. Because it *wouldn't* *save*.
> See my original complaint above.

Whoops. Sorry. Overlooked that minor (but critical) little detail.
Hm. I never had to save my customizations -- they just stayed where I
put them, automagically. Either I lucked out, or didn't try it until
after the bug was corrected.
Now, *my* TBird gripe is that, on my primary machine (Windows XP,
though not by my choice), I can't use the search box or search folders
on my Inbox -- the whole program freezes up and requires the Task
Manager to kill it. On my other XP machine, or my Linux machines, it
never happens. I suppose one of these days I should get around to
filing a bug report....

Damien Sullivan

Nov 29, 2006, 2:00:20 AM11/29/06
"Will in New Haven" <bill....@taylorandfrancis.com> wrote:

>First Law of UseNet Quoting: Any quote from a film that is attributed
>will be attibuted to the actor, who recited it.

I break First Law!

-xx- Damien X-)

"If nothing we do means anything, the only thing that means anything is
what we do." -- Joss Whedon (Angel)

Robert Carnegie

Dec 8, 2006, 7:20:41 AM12/8/06

Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> David McMillan wrote:
> >
> > Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> > >
> > > I'm still using Netscape 4.8 for usenet. Old as hell, but it does
> > > everything I really need. Thunderbird *should* be what I want to
> > > use, but I couldn't get it to save customizations (like column widths
> > > and a Next Unread button) and it somehow managed to completely screw
> > > up message threading. Here's my attempt to get help from the forums:
> >
> > Eh? "Next Unread" is N, or the spacebar. I've been cruising this very
> > thread that way. F takes you to the next message, regardless of whether
> > it's read or unread. Been that way for the last 3-4 versions I've used,
> > at least. When did you have this problem?
>
> I usually use the mouse not keyboard when reading.

I wonder if you could market a mouse with some kind of prong at the
front, so you can lift it up bodily and peck at the keyboard with it.

Or a Wii controller would do for both, I guess.

Robert Carnegie

Dec 8, 2006, 7:30:29 AM12/8/06

What's the status of copyright in the 23rd century? And the length of
it? I know I've read about Enterprise crew, one in particular,
converting video recordings for their own use. DRM not applicable.
But then I guess they're usually in international space, law is what
the captain says is okay.

Robert Carnegie

Dec 8, 2006, 7:32:58 AM12/8/06

Dorothy Parker. In verse. Authentically, I believe. But I don't know
if there's, say, an ancient Greek version, or something in
Ecclesiastes. "Nothing new under the sun", etc.

Robert Hutchinson

Dec 10, 2006, 10:30:28 AM12/10/06
Robert Carnegie wrote:
> Paul Harman wrote:
>> James Nicoll wrote ...

>>> English is like that, I'm afraid," Jim said, "It doesn't so much borrow
>>> words and idioms from other languages and cultures as chase them down
>>> dark alleys, bludgeon them into submission, and go through their pockets."
>>>
>>> - James T. Kirk, chapter 11 of The Empty Chair, by Diane Duane
>>
>> Now that's just rude. Not even a mention on the acknowledgements page?
>
> What's the status of copyright in the 23rd century? And the length of
> it? I know I've read about Enterprise crew, one in particular,
> converting video recordings for their own use. DRM not applicable.
> But then I guess they're usually in international space, law is what
> the captain says is okay.

This would actually explain why everyone in the 24th century is so
interested in things from the 20th century--all of the copyright on it
*just* expired.

--
Robert Hutchinson