ISFDB unwell

Chris Thompson

Mar 10, 2008, 12:55:59 PM3/10/08
For the last 24 hours or more, http://www.isfdb.org/ has been
giving me a page saying "Cannot connect to the MySQL database",
and nothing more. Does anyone know what is going on there?

--
Chris Thompson
Email: cet1 [at] cam.ac.uk

Mike Schilling

Mar 10, 2008, 1:11:13 PM3/10/08

As Ahasuerus wrote yesterday:

> One of the ISFDB servers went off-line some time after 9pm EST on
> Saturday. We are working on it.

Ahasuerus

Mar 10, 2008, 1:27:04 PM3/10/08
On Mar 10, 11:11 am, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
wrote:
> Chris Thompson wrote:
> > For the last 24 hours or more,http://www.isfdb.org/has been

> > giving me a page saying "Cannot connect to the MySQL database",
> > and nothing more. Does anyone know what is going on there?
>
> As Ahasuerus wrote yesterday:
>
> > One of the ISFDB servers went off-line some time after 9pm EST on
> > Saturday. We are working on it.

Yup. Hopefully, we will have an update shortly, but nothing definite
yet...

Ahasuerus

Mar 10, 2008, 10:01:48 PM3/10/08

I am afraid we still don't have an ETA :( Where is that scroll of
Resurrect Server when you need it?..

Ahasuerus

Mar 11, 2008, 1:11:01 AM3/11/08

All servers seem to be back up and running. Fingers crossed.

tkma...@yahoo.co.uk

Mar 11, 2008, 2:11:07 AM3/11/08
Ahasuerus wrote:
> All servers seem to be back up and running. Fingers crossed.

Thanks - seems ok now. I hadn't realized I used it almost daily till it
went down 2 days back.

--
"life. It was, she decided, much too complicated. Strange things were
continually happening. Much better to remain a bystander and simply let

Christopher Henrich

Mar 11, 2008, 5:07:46 PM3/11/08
In article
<8b09d32a-373c-400c...@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote:

As of Tuesday 3/11, 5 PM EDT, it still seems to be down.

--
Christopher J. Henrich
chen...@monmouth.com

Ahasuerus

Mar 11, 2008, 5:24:01 PM3/11/08
On Mar 11, 3:07 pm, Christopher Henrich <chenr...@monmouth.com> wrote:
> In article
> <8b09d32a-373c-400c-8d2f-6ef5c141e...@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,

> Ahasuerus <ahasue...@email.com> wrote:

> > > I am afraid we still don't have an ETA :( Where is that scroll of
> > > Resurrect Server when you need it?..
> >
> > All servers seem to be back up and running. Fingers crossed.
>
> As of Tuesday 3/11, 5 PM EDT, it still seems to be down.

It stayed up for over 16 hours and went down again around 4:26 EDT.
Sorry, folks, we'll try to get TAMU (our host) to bring it back up
ASAP.

William December Starr

Mar 12, 2008, 12:52:19 AM3/12/08
Is the Contento Index still located at
<http://contento.best.vwh.net/0start.htm>?

If so, it too seems to have a problem:

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

Ahasuerus

Mar 12, 2008, 12:57:34 AM3/12/08
On Mar 12, 12:52 am, wdst...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
> Is the Contento Index still located at
> <http://contento.best.vwh.net/0start.htm>?
>
> If so, it too seems to have a problem:
>
> | Looking up contento.best.vwh.net
> | Unable to locate remote host contento.best.vwh.net.
> | Alert!: Unable to connect to remote host.
> |
> | lynx: Can't access startfilehttp://contento.best.vwh.net/0start.htm

Contento had to move to http://www.philsp.com/homeville/ISFAC/0start.htm
on a short notice, but is doing fine otherwise. The ISFDB is still
down with no ETA :(

William December Starr

Mar 12, 2008, 1:59:13 AM3/12/08
In article <0d168a16-e418-459f...@u72g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> said:

>> | lynx: Can't access startfilehttp://contento.best.vwh.net/0start.htm
>
> Contento had to move to http://www.philsp.com/homeville/ISFAC/0start.htm
> on a short notice, but is doing fine otherwise.

Thanks. I'm glad somebody knows about it -- whoever maintains Locus'
<http://www.locusmag.com/index> page hasn't made the change yet.

Ahasuerus

Mar 12, 2008, 2:10:19 AM3/12/08
On Mar 12, 1:59 am, wdst...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:

> > Contento had to move tohttp://www.philsp.com/homeville/ISFAC/0start.htm

> > on a short notice, but is doing fine otherwise.
>
> Thanks. I'm glad somebody knows about it -- whoever maintains Locus'
> <http://www.locusmag.com/index> page hasn't made the change yet.

I think the record for broken links on the Locus links page(s) is, um,
3 years or so :)

Joseph Nebus

Mar 12, 2008, 2:19:56 PM3/12/08
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> writes:

Perhaps, but I'm sure they'll someday repair a link faster
than that.

In the meanwhile I'm relieved to learn that apparently something
*can* stop Contento.

--
Joseph Nebus

Ahasuerus

Mar 12, 2008, 2:53:39 PM3/12/08
On Mar 12, 12:19 pm, nebu...@-rpi-.edu (Joseph Nebus) wrote: [snip]

> In the meanwhile I'm relieved to learn that apparently something
> *can* stop Contento.

Contento has been forced to change hosts a few times in the last 10+
years, so I am sure he will survive this move with little to no
downtime as well. The ISFDB hasn't been as lucky and experienced a
number of serious outages when forced to change hosts, but then our
system requirements are considerably higher. (Still no ETA at the
moment, but our host, TAMU, is working on it).

Ahasuerus

Mar 15, 2008, 4:47:46 PM3/15/08
On Mar 11, 5:24 pm, Ahasuerus <ahasue...@email.com> wrote:
> On Mar 11, 3:07 pm, Christopher Henrich <chenr...@monmouth.com> wrote:
> > In article
> > <8b09d32a-373c-400c-8d2f-6ef5c141e...@n77g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
> > Ahasuerus <ahasue...@email.com> wrote:

> > > All servers seem to be back up and running. Fingers crossed.
>
> > As of Tuesday 3/11, 5 PM EDT, it still seems to be down.
>
> It stayed up for over 16 hours and went down again around 4:26 EDT.
> Sorry, folks, we'll try to get TAMU (our host) to bring it back up
> ASAP.

The ISFDB is still down and likely to remain down until Monday at the
earliest. We have created an ISFDB blog (you knew it had to happen at
some point!) at http://isfdb.blogspot.com/ , which we will use as an
announcement board.

Ahasuerus

Mar 17, 2008, 1:03:54 AM3/17/08
> TheISFDBis still down and likely to remain down until Monday at the
> earliest. We have created anISFDBblog (you knew it had to happen at
> some point!) athttp://isfdb.blogspot.com/, which we will use as an
> announcement board.

The ISFDB has been up for the last hour and half and the response
times have been decent. However, we may still have outstanding
technical issues to address, so no searches on "42", please!

Ahasuerus

Apr 12, 2008, 5:49:47 PM4/12/08
ISFDB (www.isfdb.org) update:

The ISFDB Wiki is currently down and the ISFDB database is in read-
only mode. We are in the middle of migrating to a new hosting company
and hope to be editable by the end of the day, although it may take
some time for the new site to be fully visible by everybody on the
internet (aka DNS changes).

Christopher Henrich

Apr 12, 2008, 9:13:50 PM4/12/08
In article
<05d8f78a-6b02-4ad4...@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,
Ahasuerus <ahas...@email.com> wrote:

You, and your colleagues, deserve the gratitude of us all for dealing
with what must have been a stressful, not to say maddening, situation.

Ahasuerus

Apr 12, 2008, 10:57:04 PM4/12/08
On Apr 12, 9:13 pm, Christopher Henrich <chenr...@monmouth.com> wrote:
> In article
> <05d8f78a-6b02-4ad4-80bc-5f997ac01...@x41g2000hsb.googlegroups.com>,

> Ahasuerus <ahasue...@email.com> wrote:
> > ISFDB (www.isfdb.org) update:
>
> > The ISFDB Wiki is currently down and the ISFDB database is in read-
> > only mode. We are in the middle of migrating to a new hosting company
> > and hope to be editable by the end of the day, although it may take
> > some time for the new site to be fully visible by everybody on the
> > internet (aka DNS changes).
>
> You, and your colleagues, deserve the gratitude of us all for dealing
> with what must have been a stressful, not to say maddening, situation.

Thanks for the kind words! The ISFDB has been now migrated to (and is
editable at) http://208.100.59.10/ . If you go to www.isfdb.org
tonight, you will see a read-only version of the database as of
earlier today. Hopefully, the address www.isfdb.org will be re-pointed
to the new location in the next day or two.

As our main page used to say, we were previously hosted by the Cushing
Library Science Fiction and Fantasy Research Collection and Institute
for Scientific Computation at Texas A&M University. Over the last 5
years, their people did what they could given what is best described
as often complicated circumstances and we are grateful for their help.

Hopefully, our uptime and performance will improve at the new
location, although there may be short term issues due to the software
upgrades that we had to implement as part of the migration.

pan

Apr 13, 2008, 12:43:59 AM4/13/08

"Ahasuerus" <ahas...@email.com> wrote in message

For the purposes of meeting some people's random data absorption:

In some dns propagation vectors the updates can occur quickly:
i.e.,
As of 2008_04_12 21:30 ODT

; <<>> DiG 8.3 <<>> isfdb.org
;; got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 5,
ADDITIONAL: 5
;; QUERY SECTION:
;; isfdb.org, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWER SECTION:
isfdb.org. 10M IN A 208.100.59.10

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
isfdb.org. 10M IN NS ns4.fhdomains.com.
isfdb.org. 10M IN NS ns5.fhdomains.com.
isfdb.org. 10M IN NS ns1.fhdomains.com.
isfdb.org. 10M IN NS ns2.fhdomains.com.
isfdb.org. 10M IN NS ns3.fhdomains.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns4.fhdomains.com. 1d23h59m55s IN A 67.228.109.254
ns5.fhdomains.com. 1d23h59m55s IN A 78.129.177.253
ns1.fhdomains.com. 1d23h59m55s IN A 208.101.29.30
ns2.fhdomains.com. 1d23h59m55s IN A 75.126.25.168
ns3.fhdomains.com. 1d23h59m55s IN A 208.100.59.254

Mike Schilling

Apr 13, 2008, 12:52:40 PM4/13/08
One more Van Vogt quibble:

_Quest for the Future_ is a fixup novel, not a collectiom. It
combines three unrelated stories, giving them all the same protagonist
and adding linking material.

Ahasuerus

Apr 13, 2008, 2:18:23 PM4/13/08
On Apr 13, 12:52 pm, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Thanks for the heads up! Fixups are a major pain in the pseudopod
since you can't always easily determine the scope of the changes in
the rewritten version. We have to rely on our editors' recollections
of what was changed and on secondary sources like Tuck, Clute and
Contento, whose "fixup-vs-collection" standards can vary
significantly. Occasionally we would trace our miscategorized entries
back to Contento, who would then trace them back to Tuck, who isn't
around to ask anymore, but probably got his data from a magazine
review or from fan correspondence.

One of the things we would like to do at some point is to add a "one-
to-many" "based on" relationship field to the database. That way all
abridgments, expansions, revisions, fixups, etc could be neatly linked
without misrepresenting their nature. One of these days...