[NEWS] DeCandido makes several convention appearances

1 view

Keith R.A. DeCandido

Dec 13, 2001, 4:29:02 PM12/13/01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Keith R.A. DeCandido, ke...@decandido.net

DeCANDIDO TO APPEAR AT SEVERAL NORTHEAST CONVENTIONS IN EARLY 2002

Best-selling STAR TREK and FARSCAPE novelist at Slanted Fedora,
Arisia, Boskone, & Lunacon

New York, 15 December 2001--Internationally best-selling author Keith
R.A. DeCandido will be appearing at several northeast corridor
conventions in the early part of 2002 to promote his assorted pieces
of fiction in the universes of STAR TREK and FARSCAPE.

Appearances include the Slanted Fedora STAR TREK 35th Anniversary show
at the Sheraton Meadowlands Plaza in East Rutherford, New Jersey on
4-6 January (www.sfedora.com), Arisia 2002 at the Boston Park Plaza in
Boston on 18-20 January (www.arisia.org), Boskone 39 at the Sheraton
Framingham in Framingham, Massachusetts on 15-17 February
(www.boskone.org), and Lunacon 2002 at the Hilton Rye Town in Rye
Brook, New York on 15-17 March (www.lunacon.org).

The Slanted Fedora show will be a huge event, with each of the first
four TREK captains--William Shatner, Patrick Stewart, Avery Brooks,
and Kate Mulgrew--as well as actors from each of the first four TV
shows (with the possibility of an ENTERPRISE guest or two TBA).
DeCandido will be in the dealers room signing autographs on all three
days. There is also the dim possibility he will do a brief Q&A, but
that possibility is exceedingly dim given the sheer volume of actor
guests. For full details on this show, go to
www.sfedora.com/newyork.htm.

In addition, on Friday 4 January at 7pm, Keith will be performing at
the Baggot Inn in Greenwich Village, backing up singer/songwriter
Steve Rosenhaus for an evening of rock, folk, and blues. Go to
www.baggotinn.com for details.

Arisia, Boskone, and Lunacon are mostly literary science fiction
conventions that DeCandido has been a regular panelist at for many
years. He'll be doing panel discussions, performances, readings,
autographings, kaffeeklatsches, jam sessions, etc., over the course of
each of those weekends.

DeCandido has written the STAR TREK: THE NEXT GENERATION novel
DIPLOMATIC IMPLAUSIBILITY, the STAR TREK: DEEP SPACE NINE novel DEMONS
OF AIR AND DARKNESS, the DS9 story "Horn and Ivory" in WHAT LAY
BEYOND, the four-issue TNG comic book PERCHANCE TO DREAM (recently
reprinted in ENEMY UNSEEN), and several eBooks in the STAR TREK:
STARFLEET CORPS OF ENGINEERS series that he co-developed (most of
those eBooks are being made available in print in early 2002 in the
collections HAVE TECH, WILL TRAVEL and MIRACLE WORKERS). He also wrote
the FARSCAPE novel HOUSE OF CARDS (the first novel based on the hit
Sci-Fi channel TV show) and has written short stories for both
FARSCAPE: THE OFFICIAL MAGAZINE and the FARSCAPE role-playing game
from AEG. He's also written novels, short stories, and nonfiction
books in the universes of BUFFY THE VAMPIRE SLAYER, DOCTOR WHO, Marvel
Comics, and XENA, among others. His second FARSCAPE novel and a STAR
TREK cross-series duology called THE BRAVE & THE BOLD will be
published in 2002.

For specific details of DeCandido's schedule, go to his official web
site at DeCandido.net.

Keith Aiken

Dec 13, 2001, 10:48:08 PM12/13/01
ke...@decandido.net (Keith R.A. DeCandido) wrote in message news:<cd4beab1.01121...@posting.google.com>...

Keith,
Glad to see you're doing well!

Happy holidays,
Keith Aiken

Keith R.A. DeCandido

Dec 14, 2001, 10:20:43 AM12/14/01
> Glad to see you're doing well!

Good lord! <choke> It's -- the other Keith! <chuckle>

Glad to =be= doing well, honestly. <grin>

Keith R.A. DeCandido
ke...@decandido.net
www.decandido.net

Joe Slater

Dec 19, 2001, 7:54:37 PM12/19/01
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Joe Slater

JOE SLATER HAS NEVER HEARD OF KEITH DECANDIDO.

He would likely not care even if he had. Lots of authors post to the
newsgroups Keith spammed. If they all acted the same way, the
newsgroups would become unreadable. If Keith DeCandido wants to build
up his profile he might try to write something other than media
tie-ins.

>DeCANDIDO TO APPEAR AT SEVERAL NORTHEAST CONVENTIONS IN EARLY 2002

Ooh.

>DeCandido will be in the dealers room signing autographs on all three
>days. There is also the dim possibility he will do a brief Q&A, but
>that possibility is exceedingly dim given the sheer volume of actor
>guests.

Ah.

>In addition, on Friday 4 January at 7pm, Keith will be performing at
>the Baggot Inn in Greenwich Village, backing up singer/songwriter
>Steve Rosenhaus for an evening of rock, folk, and blues. Go to
>www.baggotinn.com for details.

Um.

>For specific details of DeCandido's schedule, go to his official web
>site at DeCandido.net.

And don't forget to buy little figurines of DeCandido in a variety of
interesting poses, as well as T-shirts which say "I MET KEITH
DECANDIDO AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY T-SHIRT".

jds
--
Joe Slater was but a low-grade paranoiac, whose fantastic notions must
have come from the crude hereditary folk-tales which circulated in even

Craig J. Ries

Dec 19, 2001, 7:58:38 PM12/19/01
Joe Slater wrote:

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> Contact: Joe Slater
>
> JOE SLATER HAS NEVER HEARD OF KEITH DECANDIDO.

Ya know, being a jackass doesn't help your plight either.

And although Keith isn't currently slated to appear at a convention
nearby here anytime soon (so far), it's nice to know sometimes what the
authors are up to.

Considering it's Star Trek related, your definition of spam would apply
more for our posts than his.

Craig J. Ries

John Iwaniszek

Dec 19, 2001, 8:02:35 PM12/19/01
Craig J. Ries wrote in news:3C2137BE...@yifan.net:

I thought Slater's post was very amusing. You have mojo, joe-joe!

Nick

Dec 19, 2001, 8:17:38 PM12/19/01
John Iwaniszek wrote:

I agree. Does anyone know where and for how much I could attain some of
Keith's DNA?

Mr. Personality

Dec 19, 2001, 11:21:55 PM12/19/01
In article <6dd22u41k4sb5vtiv...@4ax.com>, Joe Slater
<joeDEL...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote:

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> Contact: Joe Slater
>

> JOE SLATER HAS NEVER HEARD OF KEITH DECANDIDO.
>
> He would likely not care even if he had. Lots of authors post to the
> newsgroups Keith spammed. If they all acted the same way, the
> newsgroups would become unreadable. If Keith DeCandido wants to build
> up his profile he might try to write something other than media
> tie-ins.

<snip>

I've never heard of you, either, for that matter. Why do you have a
hard-on for DeCandido?

Nick

Dec 19, 2001, 11:48:04 PM12/19/01
Mr. Personality wrote:

I see where you got your name.

Jens Kilian

Dec 20, 2001, 2:39:42 AM12/20/01
ke...@decandido.net (Keith R.A. DeCandido) writes:

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> Contact: Keith R.A. DeCandido, ke...@decandido.net
>
> DeCANDIDO TO APPEAR AT SEVERAL NORTHEAST CONVENTIONS IN EARLY 2002
>
> Best-selling STAR TREK and FARSCAPE novelist at Slanted Fedora,
> Arisia, Boskone, & Lunacon

Bring the mallets.

(Arisia *and* Boskone? Ooh.)
--
mailto:j...@acm.org phone:+49-7031-464-7698 (TELNET 778-7698)
http://www.bawue.de/~jjk/ fax:+49-7031-464-7351

Timo S Saloniemi

Dec 20, 2001, 3:48:56 AM12/20/01
In article <6dd22u41k4sb5vtiv...@4ax.com> Joe Slater <joeDEL...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> writes:
>FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
>Contact: Joe Slater

>JOE SLATER HAS NEVER HEARD OF KEITH DECANDIDO.
>
>He would likely not care even if he had. Lots of authors post to the
>newsgroups Keith spammed. If they all acted the same way, the
>newsgroups would become unreadable. If Keith DeCandido wants to build
>up his profile he might try to write something other than media
>tie-ins.

Not being in a position to go to conventions, or having interest in
attending them even if that were possible, I have no idea what the
correct forum is for ads and commercials on them. But I'm pretty sure that
there IS such a forum, and that it's one of the big newsgroups here.
Perhaps r.a.st.misc might be it. And the readers of r.a.sf.written
and alt.startrek.books certainly would be interested in DeCandido's ad.
Neither of those groups is in danger of being "run over" by spam, since
traffic there is low anyway and this sort of spam is what the readers
*want* with their bread and butter anyway.

But *all* the groups on the crossposting field can't be correct.
Somebody here ought to know the netiquette on the subject. Con spam
is a service that many people reading this probably want provided.
It's just the details of the execution that need fine-tuning.

Timo Saloniemi

Joe Slater

Dec 20, 2001, 5:54:44 AM12/20/01
tsal...@alpha.hut.fi (Timo S Saloniemi) wrote:
>Not being in a position to go to conventions, or having interest in
>attending them even if that were possible, I have no idea what the
>correct forum is for ads and commercials on them. But I'm pretty sure that
>there IS such a forum, and that it's one of the big newsgroups here.
>Perhaps r.a.st.misc might be it. And the readers of r.a.sf.written
>and alt.startrek.books certainly would be interested in DeCandido's ad.

No. I'm a regular reader of rasfw and I can assure you that his
heavy-handed attempt at self-promotion is an unusual and unwelcome
intrusion.

>Neither of those groups is in danger of being "run over" by spam, since
>traffic there is low anyway

Only about 500 messages a day or so. And the thing about spam is, is
kills newsgroups - and it kills low-traffic groups faster than any
others. That's because the spam in those groups very quickly overruns
the genuine messages.

>Somebody here ought to know the netiquette on the subject. Con spam
>is a service that many people reading this probably want provided.
>It's just the details of the execution that need fine-tuning.

I would volunteer to help tune his execution, certainly.

Crossposting is very rarely a good idea. When you *do* crosspost, you
should redirect followups to one group only. I think this will be my
last word on this subject since, as you can see, this is a crossposted
thread. Incidentally, get a clue.

Mr. Personality

Dec 20, 2001, 6:21:47 AM12/20/01
In article <9vrqi4$h4urh$3...@ID-19674.news.dfncis.de>, Nick
<nickn...@snurcher.com> wrote:

That's right, snookums, but the question remains: Why? DeCandido is a
Trek/Farscape writer who crossposted a related press release to
r.a.sf.w, which seems to be the problem here, given Joe's stated
disdain for media tie-ins. Joe has posted twice to the same newsgroups
about this, prompting even more replies. It would have all gone away
by now if he hadn't.

Could it be love?

Tom Francis

Dec 20, 2001, 7:05:22 AM12/20/01

"Joe Slater" <joeDEL...@yoyo.cc.monash.edu.au> wrote in message

> FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> Contact: Joe Slater
>

> JOE SLATER HAS NEVER HEARD OF KEITH DECANDIDO.

Unfortunate for you.

John Iwaniszek

Dec 20, 2001, 7:10:11 AM12/20/01
Mr. Personality wrote in news:201220010621470068%aff...@will.com.invalid:

> In article <9vrqi4$h4urh$3...@ID-19674.news.dfncis.de>, Nick
> <nickn...@snurcher.com> wrote:
>
>> Mr. Personality wrote:

>> > <snip>
>> >
>> > I've never heard of you, either, for that matter. Why do you have a

>> > hard-on for XXXXXXXXX?

>> I see where you got your name.
>

> That's right, snookums, but the question remains: Why? XXXXXXXXX is a
> XXXXXXXXXXXX writer who crossposted a related press release to

> r.a.sf.w, which seems to be the problem here, given Joe's stated
> disdain for media tie-ins. Joe has posted twice to the same newsgroups
> about this, prompting even more replies. It would have all gone away
> by now if he hadn't.
>
> Could it be love?

So I'm guessing your job is to sit on the sidelines and snipe when someone
registers a legitimate complaint? (And yes, that is my job too) So, Percy,
welcome to the union. I hope you will enjoy the comraderie of your fellow
scolds, humbugs, blatherskites, and termagants.

Tom Francis

Dec 20, 2001, 7:21:19 AM12/20/01

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

Not to mention Raconteur, Adventurer and Defiler of Virgins - Third Class.

John Iwaniszek

Dec 20, 2001, 7:27:41 AM12/20/01
Tom Francis wrote in news:9vsl78$h98je$1...@ID-36512.news.dfncis.de:

I'm thinking Percy is not much interested in that third occupational
category.

Tom Francis

Dec 20, 2001, 7:35:08 AM12/20/01

"John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

You are not suggesting?

James C. Ellis

Dec 20, 2001, 12:29:28 PM12/20/01
Craig J. Ries wrote:

> Joe Slater wrote:
> >
> > FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
> > Contact: Joe Slater
> >
> > JOE SLATER HAS NEVER HEARD OF KEITH DECANDIDO.
>
> Considering it's Star Trek related, your definition of spam would
> apply more for our posts than his.

Check the newsgroup line, bub. KEITH R.A. DECANDIDO's commercial
self-aggrandization was off-topic in most of the groups listed (and was
crass in the rest).

Conversely, posts about what is and is not on-topic in a group are by
definition on-topic.

Cheers,
Biff

"Me? Lady, I'm your worst nightmare - a pumpkin with a gun.
[...] Euminides this! " - Mervyn, the Sandman #66

Nick

Dec 20, 2001, 11:43:20 AM12/20/01
James C. Ellis wrote:

<snip>

Gharlane? Is that you?

Brian Love

Dec 20, 2001, 11:32:53 AM12/20/01
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 2:54:44 -0800, Joe Slater wrote
(in message <nkg32ugd7u5rofd5r...@4ax.com>):

> tsal...@alpha.hut.fi (Timo S Saloniemi) wrote:
>> Not being in a position to go to conventions, or having interest in
>> attending them even if that were possible, I have no idea what the
>> correct forum is for ads and commercials on them. But I'm pretty sure that
>> there IS such a forum, and that it's one of the big newsgroups here.
>> Perhaps r.a.st.misc might be it. And the readers of r.a.sf.written
>> and alt.startrek.books certainly would be interested in DeCandido's ad.
>
> No. I'm a regular reader of rasfw and I can assure you that his
> heavy-handed attempt at self-promotion is an unusual and unwelcome
> intrusion.

AObloodyL

I don't read a.st.books, but here in rasfw, if an author wants to tell say
somthing, he can say something, not post a freakin' drive-by spam.

And I close with Yeechang Lee's Two Rules of USENET Posting.

(1) Read a newsgroup for two weeks before posting to it.
(2) If you do not understand the reason for rule (1), make it a month.

--
Brian Love
Freelance Otaku

James C. Ellis

Dec 20, 2001, 3:11:18 PM12/20/01

Gharlane's dead, dude. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news and all...

J.B. Moreno

Dec 20, 2001, 2:24:11 PM12/20/01
Tom Francis <to...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> "John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

> > Tom Francis wrote in news:9vsl78$h98je$1...@ID-36512.news.dfncis.de:

-snip 65 lines of quoted material and a one line reply-

I don't know what groups you guys are posting from, but here in rasfw we
have this little custom called "snipping out irrelevant text" and
"limiting the followups to relevant groups". You might give them a try.

We also have another custom called "discouraging spammers" which Joe
Slater was engaged in before your little digression.

This isn't the group for posting ads (i.e. spam), whether the post is
disguised as a press announcement or not, which is what the original
poster was doing.

--
JBM
"Your depression will be added to my own" -- Marvin of Borg

John Iwaniszek

Dec 20, 2001, 2:25:28 PM12/20/01
J.B. Moreno wrote in news:1f4pwnp.g3b2la1dsbzftN%pl...@newsreaders.com:

Tell it to the spammer.

Tom Francis

Dec 20, 2001, 2:47:42 PM12/20/01

"J.B. Moreno" <pl...@newsreaders.com> wrote in message

> Tom Francis <to...@mindspring.com> wrote:
>
> > "John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message
> > > Tom Francis wrote in news:9vsl78$h98je$1...@ID-36512.news.dfncis.de:
> -snip 65 lines of quoted material and a one line reply-
>
> I don't know what groups you guys are posting from, but here in rasfw we
> have this little custom called "snipping out irrelevant text" and
> "limiting the followups to relevant groups". You might give them a try.

Well, we have this little custom that says when we get pasted with a
broad brush, we kind of paint back. Like by not cutting out irrelevant
text or limiting followups at all because that's not our problem.

In short, we ship it out as it comes in. [1]

> We also have another custom called "discouraging spammers" which Joe
> Slater was engaged in before your little digression.

Wow!!! I'm impressed.

> This isn't the group for posting ads (i.e. spam), whether the post is
> disguised as a press announcement or not, which is what the original
> poster was doing.

Hey - it's a wild wild world out there. And you could certainly do
worse than read a DeCandido genre' book. They ain't half bad.

[1] By the way, you do a lousy Gharlane impersonation.

Craig J. Ries

Dec 20, 2001, 3:44:31 PM12/20/01
"J.B. Moreno" wrote:

> This isn't the group for posting ads (i.e. spam), whether the post is
> disguised as a press announcement or not, which is what the original
> poster was doing.

My, you people have such a love for your fellow Star Trek fans, whether
they be authors or book readers.

Nice to know you all care.

Craig J. Ries

Craig J. Ries

Dec 20, 2001, 3:47:23 PM12/20/01
Brian Love wrote:

> I don't read a.st.books, but here in rasfw, if an author wants to tell say
> somthing, he can say something, not post a freakin' drive-by spam.

*rofl* drive-by spam *rofl*

You people don't seem to know much about newsgroups yourself, otherwise
you would've just ignored this thread by now and been done with it.

This thread has caused more posts (and spam) to alt.startrek.books than
anything else I've seen on it in the last few months.

Some of you folks just need to get over yourselves and your "this is OUR
newsgroup, we can piss of whoever we like" attitudes.

Craig J. Ries

Craig J. Ries

Dec 20, 2001, 4:47:50 PM12/20/01
r...@sff.net wrote:

> *plonk* LOL

*shrug* I've been unfortunate enough to see much more stupidity than
this thread has exposed, but that's ok, cause I can ignore the thread
from now on.

Enjoy your pointless bickering. You make all Star Trek fans proud.

Craig J. Ries

J.B. Moreno

Dec 20, 2001, 5:11:44 PM12/20/01
<r...@sff.net> wrote:

> "James C. Ellis"
-snip-
> >--
-snip-

> Pardon me, James, but the delimiter for sig files is two hyphens
> followed by a blank space, like the one you see below...

That's what he had/has: "-- " on an otherwise blank line (without the
quotes of course).

Bill Snyder

Dec 20, 2001, 6:23:14 PM12/20/01
On Thu, 20 Dec 2001 13:44:31 -0700, "Craig J. Ries" <cr...@yifan.net>
wrote:

Actually, a fair-sized minority of "us people" would argue that most
Star Dreck fans are clueless fuckwits. Thanks for your support.

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank.]

Mr. Personality

Dec 20, 2001, 7:08:30 PM12/20/01
In article <3C22741B...@ozemail.com.au>, Steve Taylor
<teapot7s...@ozemail.com.au> wrote:

> "Mr. Personality" wrote:
>
> > That's right, snookums, but the question remains: Why? DeCandido is a
> > Trek/Farscape writer who crossposted a related press release to
> > r.a.sf.w, which seems to be the problem here
>

> Incredible though it may seem, most people in rasfw don't get excited by
> spammed press releases. Funny that.

And most people on Usenet are smart enough to ignore spam. Instead,
this bit got reposted by the person who said he never wanted to see it
in the first place. I wouldn't have seen the DeCandido thing at all if
Joe hadn't reposted it.

Next time, pals, email the perp if you like, flood him, but leave the
rest of us out of it.

Mr. Personality

Dec 20, 2001, 7:15:15 PM12/20/01
In article <9vsm12$hi9fh$1...@ID-36512.news.dfncis.de>, Tom Francis
<to...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> "John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

> > > Not to mention Raconteur, Adventurer and Defiler of Virgins -
> > > Third Class.
> >
> > I'm thinking Percy is not much interested in that third occupational
> > category.
>
> You are not suggesting?

Any "legitimate complaint" about spam should go to the spammer's ISP.
Reposting it in its entirety for the sake of adding idiotic comments
like Aw and Oh is a waste of everyone's time.

But I'm glad to see you two are bonding. Let me know when you open the
antiques shop.

John Iwaniszek

Dec 20, 2001, 8:04:28 PM12/20/01

Percy! We already have! Come on down! You can help decorate! I'll bet you
are a wiz with the hot glue gun!

Nick

Dec 20, 2001, 9:12:08 PM12/20/01
Del Cotter wrote:

> The readers of rec.arts.sf.written certainly would *not* be interested
> in advertising. It's tacky, unwanted, and in violation of the
> charter.

I don't know about everyone else but I am about ready for the readers of
rec.arts.sf.written to shut the hell up.

Captain Nerd

Dec 20, 2001, 9:20:02 PM12/20/01
In article <YTwU7.91491$Sx.24...@news1.elcjn1.sdca.home.com>,
Nick <nickn...@snurcher.com> wrote:

And with so many of them kvetching about cross-posting, it seems to be
quite acceptable to them to cross-post into other groups themselves.

Cap.

--
"I am a citizen of the moment, I've built my white picket fence around
'the now', with a commanding view of 'the soon to be.' Does it really

John Iwaniszek

Dec 20, 2001, 9:24:39 PM12/20/01
Captain Nerd wrote in news:cptnerd-
9D5316.212...@news1.rdc1.md.home.com:

> In article <YTwU7.91491$Sx.24...@news1.elcjn1.sdca.home.com>,
> Nick <nickn...@snurcher.com> wrote:
>
>> Del Cotter wrote:
>>
>> > The readers of rec.arts.sf.written certainly would *not* be interested
>> > in advertising. It's tacky, unwanted, and in violation of the charter.
>> >

>> I don't know about everyone else but I am about ready for the readers of
>> rec.arts.sf.written to shut the hell up.
>
> And with so many of them kvetching about cross-posting, it seems to be
> quite acceptable to them to cross-post into other groups themselves.
>
> Cap.

Percy has been quite salty.

Tom Francis

Dec 20, 2001, 10:22:36 PM12/20/01

> Percy has been quite salty.

They are all lost without Gharlane to keep them in check.

Tim Weaver

Dec 20, 2001, 11:09:03 PM12/20/01
Tom Francis wrote:

> They are all lost without Gharlane to keep them in check.

A quote by Gharlane on 4.23.00

> It only takes a person with an open mind to realize this.

And obviously, your mental attic is so open and airy that small birds
are nesting amid the cobwebs in the less drafty corners, huge flocks
of happy bats are roosting contentedly in the rafters, and chorus
lines of cockroaches are tap-dancing around the ancient dusty trunks
in serpentine conga lines, leaving hypnotically convoluted trails in
the dust and the desiccated bat droppings, while red-eyed drooling
rats with snaggled, yellowed teeth look on and chitter frenetically.

Better luck in your next life; try to get re-incarnated as a
sapient life form next time around....

[I would have liked this guy!]

--
Tim Weaver
Watch your money.

Mr. Personality

Dec 20, 2001, 11:28:59 PM12/20/01
In article <9vua13$i2vuv$1...@ID-36512.news.dfncis.de>, Tom Francis
<to...@mindspring.com> wrote:

> "John Iwaniszek" <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com> wrote in message

> > Percy has been quite salty.
>
> They are all lost without Gharlane to keep them in check.

"Salty"? Things a little slow at the convent, Sisters?

Mr. Personality

Dec 20, 2001, 11:21:08 PM12/20/01
In article <YTwU7.91491$Sx.24...@news1.elcjn1.sdca.home.com>, Nick
<nickn...@snurcher.com> wrote:

Aces. Happy Holidays, Nick.

John Iwaniszek

Dec 20, 2001, 11:34:43 PM12/20/01

No.

DavidR

Dec 21, 2001, 4:24:46 AM12/21/01

"Mr. Personality" <aff...@will.com.invalid> wrote in message
Aw...

> But I'm glad to see you two are bonding. Let me know when you open the
> antiques shop.

Oh

(had to do it ;)

DavidR

John Ordover

Dec 21, 2001, 7:20:11 AM12/21/01
There's no offense here at all. Whether something is spam or not is
determined by whether it is on-topic information to the group in
question. Keith R.A. DeCandido, being a Star Trek novelist and a
Farscape novelist was on-topic and providing fan-oriented info on all
the groups he posted to, to wit:

alt.startrek.books, alt.tv.farscape, rec.arts.sf.written,
rec.arts.startrek.current, rec.arts.startrek.misc

Those are all groups where convention guest info is on-topic.

That you didn't know who Keith was doesn't have any impact on whether
or not this was spam. It's not. The posts were appropriate in all
the groups Keith posted them to.

Mark Morrison

Dec 21, 2001, 8:07:56 AM12/21/01
On 21 Dec 2001 02:24:39 GMT, John Iwaniszek <Jo...@Iwaniszek.com>
wrote:

I didn't realise you and he were that close.

--

Bunnies aren't cute like everybody supposes !
And what's with all the carrots ?

J.B. Moreno

Dec 21, 2001, 12:11:53 PM12/21/01
John Ordover <ord...@aol.com> wrote:

> There's no offense here at all. Whether something is spam or not is
> determined by whether it is on-topic information to the group in
> question.

Close enough, but...

> Keith R.A. DeCandido, being a Star Trek novelist and a Farscape novelist
> was on-topic and providing fan-oriented info on all the groups he posted
> to, to wit:
>
> alt.startrek.books, alt.tv.farscape, rec.arts.sf.written,
> rec.arts.startrek.current, rec.arts.startrek.misc

No. Being a Star Trek novelist and a Farscape novelist does NOT make
one on topic for all of those groups -- for instance, if he was to write
a post describing his experience in house-breaking the puppy he got for
Xmas last year, that would not be on topic for rasfw and probably
wouldn't be on topic for any of the other groups as well.

Post about his date last night, his problem with hemorrhoids, how much
he hates having his car towed when he illegally parks in a handicap
spot, and what he had for breakfast are all off topic to rafsw.

As are ads for any and everything, no matter who the author is, and that
is what his "fan-oriented info" was -- he boldly states this with
"promote his assorted pieces of fiction in the universes of STAR TREK
and FARSCAPE".

This is not a group where you "promote" your work. Discuss it, yes
absolutely, promote it, absolutely not.

(Also, as an aside, even if it was a sincere desire to "share" fan info,
rasfw would not be the place, it's for the discussion of written works
not upcoming fan events [quite a few of us have absolutely no
interaction with "fandom" outside of this group], a better place for
sharing info about his attending cons would be one of: alt.fandom.cons,
rec.arts.sf.fandom, rec.arts.startrek.fandom [not sure which would be
best as I don't read any of them, just found them with a quick search]).

ORDOVER

Dec 23, 2001, 12:58:04 AM12/23/01

>As are ads for any and everything, no matter who the author is, and that
>is what his "fan-oriented info" was -- he boldly states this with
>"promote his assorted pieces of fiction in the universes of STAR TREK
>and FARSCAPE".

>This is not a group where you "promote" your work. Discuss it, yes
>absolutely, promote it, absolutely not.

Says who?

John Ordover
Executive Editor
Star Trek Fiction
Pocket Books

For more Trek Book Info:
www.startrekbooks.com

J.B. Moreno

Dec 23, 2001, 3:43:49 PM12/23/01
John Ordover <ord...@aol.com> wrote:

> J.B. Moreno <pl...@newsreaders.com> wrote:

> >As are ads for any and everything, no matter who the author is, and that
> >is what his "fan-oriented info" was -- he boldly states this with
> >"promote his assorted pieces of fiction in the universes of STAR TREK
> >and FARSCAPE".
>
> >This is not a group where you "promote" your work. Discuss it, yes
> >absolutely, promote it, absolutely not.
>
> Says who?

The group charter, usenet convention (ads only in groups where they are
specifically welcomed). Basically the only people saying "let's have
ads" are those that want to post their own ads.

-snip sig-

Sigs should be preceded by a sigdash, a line which consists of two
dashes followed by a single space -- mentioning promotional material in
the sig is one way of getting around the no "ads" rule, but use a
sigdash so that others don't have to snip it out manually when replying.