2007: the Year of van Vogt

James Nicoll

Dec 19, 2006, 12:21:17 PM12/19/06
Or rather, it's the year that living authors will be collaborating
with A.E. van Vogt, who died in 2000.

(from on-line sources, like LOCUS)

A NULL-A sequel, NULL-A CONTINUUM, is in the works (actually,
probably finished and in the publishing machinery) from John C. Wright.
I suspect that it will be beaten into print by the other van Vogt
collaboration, SLAN HUNTERS by Kevin J. Anderson.

--
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Dec 19, 2006, 12:29:10 PM12/19/06
In article <em972d$3gt$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

> Or rather, it's the year that living authors will be collaborating
>with A.E. van Vogt, who died in 2000.
>
> (from on-line sources, like LOCUS)
>
> A NULL-A sequel, NULL-A CONTINUUM, is in the works (actually,
>probably finished and in the publishing machinery) from John C. Wright.
>I suspect that it will be beaten into print by the other van Vogt
>collaboration, SLAN HUNTERS by Kevin J. Anderson.

I remember reading that VV had at least started the Null-A book.
Did he leave anything for the Slan one?

Ted

Tim McDaniel

Dec 19, 2006, 12:32:31 PM12/19/06
In article <em972d$3gt$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>I suspect that it will be beaten into print by the other van Vogt
>collaboration, SLAN HUNTERS by Kevin J. Anderson.

That's your famous tongue-in-cheek sarcastic humour, right? Right?
Please tell me you're joking.

... Google Google ...

Aw, hell, you're not joking. There's even part on-line in Baen's
Universe. At least van Vogt left some 125 pages of the draft.

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com

Anthony Nance

Dec 19, 2006, 3:58:12 PM12/19/06
In article <em972d$3gt$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> Or rather, it's the year that living authors will be collaborating
>with A.E. van Vogt, who died in 2000.
>
> (from on-line sources, like LOCUS)
>
> A NULL-A sequel, NULL-A CONTINUUM, is in the works (actually,
>probably finished and in the publishing machinery) from John C. Wright.
>I suspect that it will be beaten into print by the other van Vogt
>collaboration, SLAN HUNTERS by Kevin J. Anderson.

Wow - here I was expecting a tongue-in-cheek take-off of Time
magazine's recent (and rather lame) "Person of the Year" choice,
and instead I become newly cognizant of a van Vogt fix-up/extension
by Kevin J. Anderson.

It's like I got brain freeze without eating the ice cream.
Tony

jpe...@qwest.net

Dec 19, 2006, 4:19:10 PM12/19/06

James Nicoll wrote:
> Or rather, it's the year that living authors will be collaborating
> with A.E. van Vogt, who died in 2000.
>
> (from on-line sources, like LOCUS)
>
> A NULL-A sequel, NULL-A CONTINUUM, is in the works (actually,
> probably finished and in the publishing machinery) from John C. Wright.
> I suspect that it will be beaten into print by the other van Vogt
> collaboration, SLAN HUNTERS by Kevin J. Anderson.

Oh dear, I don't see this ending well...

Cheers,

John

Mike Schilling

Dec 19, 2006, 5:42:42 PM12/19/06

<jpe...@qwest.net> wrote in message

I was about to react emotionally, but fortunately thought to take time for a
cortico-thalamic pause...

htn963

Dec 20, 2006, 1:05:39 AM12/20/06

Just get Bujold to contribute and you'll be fine. A lightweight
writer like Van Vogt is just right up her alley. Miles can be a
half-(pint)-slan.

--
Ht

John Schilling

Dec 20, 2006, 8:36:49 AM12/20/06
On Tue, 19 Dec 2006 17:21:17 +0000 (UTC), jdni...@panix.com (James
Nicoll) wrote:

> Or rather, it's the year that living authors will be collaborating
>with A.E. van Vogt, who died in 2000.

On the one hand, this does raise hope for a Jack Williamson collaboration
in 2013 or so, which would give him a clean sweep - published SF in every
calendar decade. Please, let there be at least a worthwhile outline for
someone to work from, because that would be just plain cool.

On the other hand...

> (from on-line sources, like LOCUS)

> A NULL-A sequel, NULL-A CONTINUUM, is in the works (actually,
>probably finished and in the publishing machinery) from John C. Wright.
>I suspect that it will be beaten into print by the other van Vogt
>collaboration, SLAN HUNTERS by Kevin J. Anderson.

...Oh dear God. I just finished writing Christmas cards, and I *still*
had to check the calender and make sure it wasn't April Fool's Day.

SLAN HUNTERS, by A.E. van Voght and Kevin J. Anderson. That's just so
perfect. Perfectly awful, but still. And the worst thing is, there's
a part of my brain that's going to keep insisting that I have to read
it, just to see for myself.

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *

Just.A...@gmail.com

Dec 20, 2006, 5:04:37 PM12/20/06

Ending? Pshaw... I smell "Slan Trilogy" in the works....

GeekGirl

Anthony Cerrato

Dec 21, 2006, 6:49:54 AM12/21/06

<Just.A...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Oh dear! My heart! Horrors, I think it's time for me to
activate a new body--and add a new extra brain or two!
...tonyC

David McMillan

Dec 21, 2006, 1:03:08 PM12/21/06
John Schilling wrote:

> SLAN HUNTERS, by A.E. van Voght and Kevin J. Anderson. That's just so
> perfect. Perfectly awful, but still. And the worst thing is, there's
> a part of my brain that's going to keep insisting that I have to read
> it, just to see for myself.

Or the anime adaptation: THOSE WHO HUNT SLANS.

Anthony Cerrato

Dec 24, 2006, 4:45:24 AM12/24/06

"David McMillan" <spam...@skyefire.org> wrote in message

Oh, the horrors to come!!! Oh, my....
...tonyC

Robert Sneddon

Dec 24, 2006, 2:50:59 PM12/24/06
In message <O_2dnYHhq7Q-dxDY...@giganews.com>, David
McMillan <spam...@skyefire.org> writes

>John Schilling wrote:
>
>> SLAN HUNTERS, by A.E. van Voght and Kevin J. Anderson.
>
> Or the anime adaptation: THOSE WHO HUNT SLANS.

Or the TV anime series released in half-hour-long episodes to test the
market: SERIAL EXPERIMENTS SLAN.
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Sea Wasp

Dec 24, 2006, 8:49:42 PM12/24/06
Robert Sneddon wrote:
> In message <O_2dnYHhq7Q-dxDY...@giganews.com>, David
> McMillan <spam...@skyefire.org> writes
>
>>John Schilling wrote:
>>

>>>SLAN HUNTERS, by A.E. van Voght and Kevin J. Anderson.
>>
>> Or the anime adaptation: THOSE WHO HUNT SLANS.
>

> Or the TV anime series released in half-hour-long episodes to test the
> market: SERIAL EXPERIMENTS SLAN.

No one expects the SLANNISH INQUISITION!

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

John Schilling

Dec 26, 2006, 5:37:45 PM12/26/06
On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 20:49:42 -0500, Sea Wasp
<seawasp...@sgeobviousinc.com> wrote:

>Robert Sneddon wrote:
>> In message <O_2dnYHhq7Q-dxDY...@giganews.com>, David
>> McMillan <spam...@skyefire.org> writes

>>> Or the anime adaptation: THOSE WHO HUNT SLANS.

>> Or the TV anime series released in half-hour-long episodes to test the
>> market: SERIAL EXPERIMENTS SLAN.

> No one expects the SLANNISH INQUISITION!

You're forgetting the tale where the Slans, in order to make the world a
more understanding and accepting place for their kind, introduce a new
sort of literature devoted to positive futurological speculation. At
first, of course, they are the only ones who appreciate the new stuff,
leading to the inevitable title: SLANS ARE FANS!

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *
*Chief Scientist & General Partner * -13th Rule of Acquisition *
*White Elephant Research, LLC * "There is no substitute *
*schi...@spock.usc.edu * for success" *

*661-951-9107 or 661-275-6795 * -58th Rule of Acquisition *

Mike Schilling

Dec 26, 2006, 7:24:07 PM12/26/06

"John Schilling" <schi...@spock.usc.edu> wrote in message

> You're forgetting the tale where the Slans, in order to make the world a
> more understanding and accepting place for their kind, introduce a new
> sort of literature devoted to positive futurological speculation. At
> first, of course, they are the only ones who appreciate the new stuff,
> leading to the inevitable title: SLANS ARE FANS!

You're forgetting the Van Vogt-Lewis crossover, in which ASLAN IS A SLAN!

Keith Morrison

Dec 27, 2006, 6:49:34 PM12/27/06
On Tue, 26 Dec 2006 16:24:07 -0800, "Mike Schilling" <mscotts...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>> You're forgetting the tale where the Slans, in order to make the world a
>> more understanding and accepting place for their kind, introduce a new
>> sort of literature devoted to positive futurological speculation. At
>> first, of course, they are the only ones who appreciate the new stuff,
>> leading to the inevitable title: SLANS ARE FANS!
>
>You're forgetting the Van Vogt-Lewis crossover, in which ASLAN IS A SLAN!

Or whaddabout the novel where a woman, in order to save her husband, a Spanish-American
Slan, volunteers to be uploaded so that she can donate her organs to save his life after a
near-fatal accident? The story, from her point of view, concerns how their relationship
falls apart as he loathes himself for not loving her digital self even though she
sacrificed her physical life to save his. In the end, they part, and thus is the tale
called "I left My Heart in Slan Francisco".

chuck c.

Dec 28, 2006, 3:46:30 PM12/28/06
Keith Morrison wrote:

> Or whaddabout the novel where a woman, in order to save her husband, a Spanish-American
> Slan, volunteers to be uploaded so that she can donate her organs to save his life after a
> near-fatal accident? The story, from her point of view, concerns how their relationship
> falls apart as he loathes himself for not loving her digital self even though she
> sacrificed her physical life to save his. In the end, they part, and thus is the tale
> called "I left My Heart in Slan Francisco".

Now THAT'S a bad pun! Excellent, Keith!
Cheers,
CC