More on the Latinization of North America

Eric D. Berge

May 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/9/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 04:27:59 GMT, rit...@cruzio.com (Lucy Kemnitzer)
wrote:

>On Wed, 10 May 2000 02:50:23 GMT, Imperialist
><feud...@my-deja.com> wrote:
>
>> On 2025, California, New Mexico, and Texas will have a Hispanic
>>majority. (That will actually come earlier, since poorer Caucasians
>>tend to flee before the Latins come, selling their properties to people
>>like Peninsularese, Vietnamese, or Middle Easterners. Most of their
>>destination is Cascadia.)
>
>Who are the Peninsularese?

Spaniards and Portuguese?

Eric Berge
(remove _ for address)

Therefore since the world has still
Much good, but much less good than ill,
I'd face it as a wise man would,
o_ \ > And train for ill and not for good.
<| ' ,_|
___/_>____o)____ - A.E. Housman, "A Shropshire Lad"

Imperialist

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On 2025, California, New Mexico, and Texas will have a Hispanic
majority. (That will actually come earlier, since poorer Caucasians
tend to flee before the Latins come, selling their properties to people
like Peninsularese, Vietnamese, or Middle Easterners. Most of their
destination is Cascadia.)

People laugh at me because I speak the truth, and the truth is always
hard to swallow. But, before you argue against me, just click the link
below:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-
srv/national/longterm/meltingpot/maps.htm

--
Descartes never had to watch televison.
Euler never had to watch a movie.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JoatSimeon

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
> Imperialist feud...@my-deja.com

>But, before you argue against me, just click the link below:

"We're sorry, but the link you have followed
is either incorrect or goes to a page that is
temporarily unavailable or no longer exists"

-- sort of fitting.

-- S.M. Stirling

JoatSimeon

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
> Imperialist feud...@my-deja.com

>People laugh at me because I speak the truth

-- they laugh at you because you're a pathetic geek, an unemployed alcoholic
reject who couldn't get laid in a whorehouse.
-- S.M. Stirling

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
<feud...@my-deja.com> wrote:

> On 2025, California, New Mexico, and Texas will have a Hispanic
>majority. (That will actually come earlier, since poorer Caucasians
>tend to flee before the Latins come, selling their properties to people
>like Peninsularese, Vietnamese, or Middle Easterners. Most of their
>destination is Cascadia.)

Who are the Peninsularese? Where is Cascadia?

Is there something wrong with a Hispanic majority?

Remember: all of these places had a Hispanic majority a hundred
and fifty years ago, and not long before that had a Native
American majority. There are lots of things to regret in history,
but the last name and home language of the population is just not
one of them, all by itself.

Where I live it's 30-40% Hispanic and rising already. I fail to
see what's so scary about it.

>Descartes never had to watch televison.
>Euler never had to watch a movie.
>Kant never had to surf the Internet.
>Yet they are greater men than anyone living today.

This, excuse me, is crap. Smart guys, yeah, but not smarter than
our smart guys today.

Oog, did I just reply to a feudalist post?

Must be past my bedtime.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Imperialist

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
In article <20000509230344...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,

joats...@aol.com (JoatSimeon) wrote:
> > Imperialist feud...@my-deja.com
>
> >But, before you argue against me, just click the link below:
>
> "We're sorry, but the link you have followed
> is either incorrect or goes to a page that is
> temporarily unavailable or no longer exists"

If that didn't work, try cut and paste the two lines.

--

Descartes never had to watch televison.
Euler never had to watch a movie.
Kant never had to surf the Internet.
Yet they are greater men than anyone living today.

Imperialist

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
In article <20000509230429...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,

joats...@aol.com (JoatSimeon) wrote:
> > Imperialist feud...@my-deja.com
>
> >People laugh at me because I speak the truth
>
> -- they laugh at you because you're a pathetic geek

I am not. I don't have much knowledge on computers.

>, an unemployed

Which is untrue.

>alcoholic

I don't drink.

> reject who couldn't get laid in a whorehouse.

Except I don't visit whorehouses. I value myself high enough not to
expose myself to VDs.

I have a very high respect on Stirling's work; my respect to his work
is same as my respect of Ayn Rand's work. I don't really care about
their personal lives; that's their business.

mike stone

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
>From: Eric D. Berge e_db...@ibm.net

>>Who are the Peninsularese?
>
>Spaniards and Portuguese?

Not sure but I *think* he meant Koreans.

Istr a rather daft thread recently where they were always referred to as such
--
Mike Stone - Peterborough England

"The English people are like the English beer.

Froth on top, dregs at the bottom, the middle excellent" - Voltaire

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On 10 May 2000 06:55:33 GMT, mws...@aol.com (mike stone) wrote:

>>From: Eric D. Berge e_db...@ibm.net
>
>>>Who are the Peninsularese?
>>
>>Spaniards and Portuguese?
>>

>Not sure but I *think* he meant Koreans.
>
>Istr a rather daft thread recently where they were always referred to as such

Either way, I can't figure out why it's a big deal for
"Caucasians" to sell their property to them. The only immigration
that bothers me is all these yuppies and Silicon Valley
nearly-millionaire dot-com manager types moving into my town and
driving the housing prices up and degrading the quality of life
for the rest of us, and all they care about the place is can they
build an addition the size of a small mansion on their property.
They don't care and don't contribute to the community, politically
or economically or socially: they shop and work fifty miles away,
send their kids to private school, only come home to sleep, and
don't know anything about the community they park their SUVs and
BMWs in.

I got my prejudices, but they're not based on color or language:
they're based on experience.

Lucy Kemnitzer

J. B. Moreno

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Eric D. Berge <e_db...@ibm.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 10 May 2000 04:27:59 GMT, rit...@cruzio.com (Lucy Kemnitzer)
> wrote:
>

> >On Wed, 10 May 2000 02:50:23 GMT, Imperialist
> ><feud...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> >
> >> On 2025, California, New Mexico, and Texas will have a Hispanic
> >>majority. (That will actually come earlier, since poorer Caucasians
> >>tend to flee before the Latins come, selling their properties to people
> >>like Peninsularese, Vietnamese, or Middle Easterners. Most of their
> >>destination is Cascadia.)
> >

> >Who are the Peninsularese?
>
> Spaniards and Portuguese?

A google search shows that Cascadia means Pacific Northwest (i.e.
California and Oregon), but doesn't find anything for "Peninsularese"
(i'm surprised that Cascadia means anything, expecting Peninsularese to
also have meaning is stretching things a bit).

> Eric Berge
> (remove _ for address)
>
> Therefore since the world has still
> Much good, but much less good than ill,
> I'd face it as a wise man would,
> o_ \ > And train for ill and not for good.
> <| ' ,_|
> ___/_>____o)____ - A.E. Housman, "A Shropshire Lad"

Two things -- you have apparently munged your address, making the one
you are posting with undeliverable; when you do that you should ALSO
append ".invalid" to the end of the address so that it is unmistakably
invalid (the tld ".invalid" has been reserved and guaranteed never to be
issued). And you need to put a sigdash before your sig (that is two
dashes and a single space, "-- " without the quotes on an otherwise
blank line), so that it doesn't get quoted in followups.

--
John B. Moreno

Eric D. Berge

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 10:56:41 -0400, pl...@newsreaders.com (J. B.
Moreno) wrote:

>Eric D. Berge <e_db...@ibm.net> wrote:

>> Eric Berge
>> (remove _ for address)
>>
>> Therefore since the world has still
>> Much good, but much less good than ill,
>> I'd face it as a wise man would,
>> o_ \ > And train for ill and not for good.
>> <| ' ,_|
>> ___/_>____o)____ - A.E. Housman, "A Shropshire Lad"
>
>Two things -- you have apparently munged your address, making the one
>you are posting with undeliverable; when you do that you should ALSO
>append ".invalid" to the end of the address so that it is unmistakably
>invalid (the tld ".invalid" has been reserved and guaranteed never to be
>issued).

Not going to change it. Instructions for unmungeing are sufficiently
clear.

> And you need to put a sigdash before your sig (that is two
>dashes and a single space, "-- " without the quotes on an otherwise
>blank line), so that it doesn't get quoted in followups.

Thought it was in there; changed.

John Lorentz

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
J. B. Moreno wrote in message
<1eaewe7.h8xpu51ta4l5uN%pl...@newsreaders.com>...

>A google search shows that Cascadia means Pacific Northwest (i.e.
>California and Oregon), but doesn't find anything for "Peninsularese"
>(i'm surprised that Cascadia means anything, expecting Peninsularese
>also have meaning is stretching things a bit).

Mostly comes from the old book, "Ecotopia", wherein the US fragments
into smaller countries--"Cascadia" was the Pacific Northwest, with a
bit of Northern California. Named after the Cascade Mountains (Mt.
Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, etc.), which forms the spine (so to
speak) of the region.

--John

Mark Landin

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
wrote:

>Oog, did I just reply to a feudalist post?
>
>Must be past my bedtime.

Heh. If you can't resist the temptation, you'd better start using your
Killfile. :)

Eric D. Berge

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 16:06:57 -0400, pl...@newsreaders.com (J. B.
Moreno) wrote:

>Eric D. Berge <e_db...@attglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> >Two things -- you have apparently munged your address, making the one
>> >you are posting with undeliverable; when you do that you should ALSO
>> >append ".invalid" to the end of the address so that it is unmistakably
>> >invalid (the tld ".invalid" has been reserved and guaranteed never to be
>> >issued).
>>
>> Not going to change it. Instructions for unmungeing are sufficiently
>> clear.
>

>It's not a matter of how clear it is the person reading, but how clear
>is it to the various bits of software involved

...which is precisely why I have it arranged the way I do, so that
emailing me takes conscious action on the part of a human being, and
is not easily done on the part of a spambot.

> -- some mail/news clients
>will warn before attempting to send, and the dns server will report that
>the domain doesn't exist (possibly without attempting to find it) and
>you don't have to worry about someone else legitimately having the same
>address.

That's a legitimate concern; I'll think about it.

> All of this means that if you add ".invalid" you cause less
>troubles for others.

It's intended to cause trouble.

Catwoman

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
In article <391960d0...@enews.newsguy.com>,

rit...@cruzio.com (Lucy Kemnitzer) wrote:

>Either way, I can't figure out why it's a big deal for
>"Caucasians" to sell their property to them. The only
immigration
>that bothers me is all these yuppies and Silicon Valley
>nearly-millionaire dot-com manager types moving into my town...
(snip)

OK, it's off topic, but Hear, Hear! I recently moved to the
Silicon Valley after growing up in Santa Cruz (which remains my
real hometown) and then living in L.A. (*yuk*, sorry if anyone's
offended) for a Tam Lin-like seven years. The greed, lack of
social and environmental responsibility, and overpopulation are
appalling. I don't give a damn what someone's ethnic background
or skin color is, but I wish people would behave responsibly and
take some thought for the future. To me, that includes limiting
immigration --from ANYWHERE -- as part of a responsible policy
toward controlling population pressures.

--Kyri, stuck in traffic in Sunnyvale

J. B. Moreno

May 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/10/00
Eric D. Berge <e_db...@attglobal.net> wrote:

> pl...@newsreaders.com (J. B. Moreno) wrote:

> >> Not going to change it. Instructions for unmungeing are sufficiently
> >> clear.
> >
> >It's not a matter of how clear it is the person reading, but how clear
> >is it to the various bits of software involved
>
> ...which is precisely why I have it arranged the way I do, so that
> emailing me takes conscious action on the part of a human being, and
> is not easily done on the part of a spambot.

it doesn't take any less conscious action to reply if the address ends
in ".invalid", what it does (or can do, not all newsreaders support it)
is bring it to the attention of the person trying to email you that the
address /needs/ further attention (while at the same time reducing the
problems associated with people whose software doesn't know about rfc
2606 [the standard that spells this out]).

The tld ".invalid" means that the address is undeliverable, it doesn't
mean that it will be valid if you remove it.

--
John B. Moreno

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 20:19:12 GMT, m5...@earthlink.net (Mark Landin)
wrote:

I don't use a killfile. I generally have no trouble not dealing
with gun control, and some bad experiences have taught me not to
respond to stupid calumnies that used to seem to cry out for
response.

I think the thing that suckered me was "Latinization," which I
thought could be any of a number of delightful subjects, and then
appeared to be most likely somebody raving about how the Terrible
Mexicans Are Coming.

Like I said, they're already here, where I am, with the awful
terrible consequence of a different grocery store on the corner
than there used to be, and five radio stations and two television
channels in Spanish.

I'm _sooooo scared_ . . . . not.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Tony Quirke

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
Imperialist <feud...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> joats...@aol.com (JoatSimeon) wrote:

> > -- they laugh at you because you're a pathetic geek

> I am not. I don't have much knowledge on computers.

Oh dear, the person who preaches a return to the old wisdoms appears to
be unaware of the original meaning of "geek".

- Tony Q.
exclusive property, it is the action of the thinking power called an idea
[...] No one possesses the less, because every other possesses the whole
of it." - TJ

Tony Quirke

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
John Lorentz <jlor...@spiritone.com> wrote:

> Mostly comes from the old book, "Ecotopia", wherein the US fragments
> into smaller countries--"Cascadia" was the Pacific Northwest, with a
> bit of Northern California. Named after the Cascade Mountains (Mt.
> Hood, Mt. St. Helens, Mt. Rainier, etc.), which forms the spine (so to
> speak) of the region.

Also might be worth checking out an older book, _The Nine Nations of
North America_ by Joel Garreau. Done in 1981, so it may be waaaay out of
date, but I think it might have been updated in 1996.

Stuart Facherty

May 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/11/00
Eric D. Berge <e_db...@ibm.net> writes:

>>Who are the Peninsularese?
>
>Spaniards and Portuguese?

When the Quonster/Imperialist/Feudalist vomits his bile on Usenet it appears to
mean Korean.

Stuart

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00
On 11 May 2000 19:37:49 GMT, stuar...@aol.com.invalid (Stuart
Facherty) wrote:

I just quake in my boots at the thought of another Korean Barbecue
opening up in my vicinity. Even more scary than having to eat
tapas.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Shaad Mohiuddin Ahmad

May 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/12/00
In article <391a1226...@enews.newsguy.com>,
Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:

>I think the thing that suckered me was "Latinization," which I
>thought could be any of a number of delightful subjects, and then
>appeared to be most likely somebody raving about how the Terrible
>Mexicans Are Coming.
>
>Like I said, they're already here, where I am, with the awful
>terrible consequence of a different grocery store on the corner
>than there used to be, and five radio stations and two television
>channels in Spanish.

And chipotle sauce being available in grocery chains like
Safeway. I'm not complaining.

- Shaad

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/13/00
On 12 May 2000 19:08:08 -0700, sh...@Stanford.EDU (Shaad Mohiuddin
Ahmad) wrote:

Yeah. Whenever anybody gets all het up about the rising tide of
whatever immigration, I think about the grocery stores and the
national festivals which will follow.

Bring 'em on.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Martin

May 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/13/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 07:16:55 GMT, in rec.arts.sf.written Imperialist
<feud...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In article <20000509230429...@ng-fp1.aol.com>,
> joats...@aol.com (JoatSimeon) wrote:
>> > Imperialist feud...@my-deja.com
>>
>> >People laugh at me because I speak the truth
>>

>> -- they laugh at you because you're a pathetic geek
>
>I am not. I don't have much knowledge on computers.
>

>>, an unemployed
>
>Which is untrue.
>
>>alcoholic
>
>I don't drink.
>
>> reject who couldn't get laid in a whorehouse.
>
>Except I don't visit whorehouses. I value myself high enough not to
>expose myself to VDs.
>
>I have a very high respect on Stirling's work; my respect to his work
>is same as my respect of Ayn Rand's work.

This is no surprise - we all know that Atlas Shrugged, the finest work of
feudalist philosophy, proves again that there are only two classes of beings
- the Uebermenschen and the Untermenschen.

And the Untermenschen have only one choice: to submit to their rightful
masters, the feudal elite, or return to chaos, cannibalism and absolute
barbarism.

Martin

May 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/13/00
On Wed, 10 May 2000 13:20:24 GMT, in rec.arts.sf.written rit...@cruzio.com
(Lucy Kemnitzer) wrote:

>On 10 May 2000 06:55:33 GMT, mws...@aol.com (mike stone) wrote:
>
>>>From: Eric D. Berge e_db...@ibm.net

>>>Spaniards and Portuguese?
>>>

>>Not sure but I *think* he meant Koreans.
>>
>>Istr a rather daft thread recently where they were always referred to as such
>

>Either way, I can't figure out why it's a big deal for
>"Caucasians" to sell their property to them. The only immigration
>that bothers me is all these yuppies and Silicon Valley
>nearly-millionaire dot-com manager types

Do not worry! The Great Reckoning will come soon and they will return to back
to their rightful place - mud huts instead of mansions, wooden plows instead
of SUVs, whips and chains instead of stock options and an * eternal serfdom *
insterad of dot-coms...

Vive la feudalisme!

moving into my town and
>driving the housing prices up and degrading the quality of life
>for the rest of us, and all they care about the place is can they
>build an addition the size of a small mansion on their property.
>They don't care and don't contribute to the community, politically
>or economically or socially: they shop and work fifty miles away,
>send their kids to private school, only come home to sleep, and
>don't know anything about the community they park their SUVs and
>BMWs in.
>
>I got my prejudices, but they're not based on color or language:
>they're based on experience.
>
>Lucy Kemnitzer

Shaad Mohiuddin Ahmad

May 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/13/00
In article <391cc7aa...@enews.newsguy.com>,
Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:

>Yeah. Whenever anybody gets all het up about the rising tide of
>whatever immigration, I think about the grocery stores and the
>national festivals which will follow.
>
>Bring 'em on.

You would have liked my neck of the woods -- Bangladesh. Muslims,
Hindus, Jains, Buddhists, Zoroastrians, Jews, Christians, and indigenous
animists, all with their own unique festivals, almost all of which
involved considerable feasting. Might also explain why I'm one of
those atheists who likes having a plethora of religions around. Yum!

- Shaad

Lucy Kemnitzer

May 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/14/00
On 13 May 2000 19:26:50 -0700, sh...@Stanford.EDU (Shaad Mohiuddin
Ahmad) wrote:

Yeah.

But see, when you're an atheist, you don't have to stop
celebrating those festivals. You get to say "Oh yes, there's this
lovely tradition associated with the festival, but what I'm really
celebrating is tradition itself, or spring, or the continuity of
generations, or something . . ."

I'd hate to live somewhere that all the people are the same and
eat the same food and listen to the same music and everybody has
the same lineage.

Then I'd be the only outlier. Ick.

Lucy Kemnitzer

Shaad Mohiuddin Ahmad

May 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/14/00
In article <391e369c...@enews.newsguy.com>,
Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:

>But see, when you're an atheist, you don't have to stop
>celebrating those festivals. You get to say "Oh yes, there's this
>lovely tradition associated with the festival, but what I'm really
>celebrating is tradition itself, or spring, or the continuity of
>generations, or something . . ."

Actually, my reasoning is even cruder: Fun crowd? Yes. Good food?
Yes. Ok, I'm in.

- Shaad

Christopher K Davis

May 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/14/00
Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> writes:

> Yeah. Whenever anybody gets all het up about the rising tide of
> whatever immigration, I think about the grocery stores and the
> national festivals which will follow.

> Bring 'em on.

Oh yeah! Walking down my street (just under a couple miles from the
river to Harvard Square, where I go shopping for my ObSF at the local
specialty SF bookstore), I go past Caribbean food stores, a Taiwanese
Chinese restaurant, a great Portuguese restaurant, a wonderful Korean
restaurant, and the city's main library.

Oh, and a Dunkin Donuts, but nothing's perfect. (Though it *is* nice
having a "neighborhood police station" that is actually a tax payer.)

A few blocks over, in Central Square, we have the Indian grocery store,
the Japanese grocery store, the Chinese and Indian and Mexican and
Eritrean and Caribbean restaurants....

--
Christopher Davis * <ckd...@ckdhr.com> * <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/ckd/>
Put location information in your DNS! <URL:http://www.ckdhr.com/dns-loc/>

John F. Eldredge

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
wrote:

> On 2025, California, New Mexico, and Texas will have a Hispanic
>majority. (That will actually come earlier, since poorer Caucasians
>tend to flee before the Latins come, selling their properties to people
>like Peninsularese, Vietnamese, or Middle Easterners. Most of their
>destination is Cascadia.)

The problem with predicting the future ethnic makeup of the USA is
that immigration trends change from one year to the next, and more so
from one decade to the next. If anyone at the time of the Irish
Potato Famine had predicted the ethnic makeup of the USA a century
later, on the basis of the then-current immigration patterns, they
would probably have foreseen a 90%-Irish America.
--
John F. Eldredge -- eldr...@poboxes.com
PGP key available from http://www.netforward.com/poboxes/?eldredge/

Gareth Wilson

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
Lucy Kemnitzer wrote:

> Either way, I can't figure out why it's a big deal for
> "Caucasians" to sell their property to them. The only immigration
> that bothers me is all these yuppies and Silicon Valley

> nearly-millionaire dot-com manager types moving into my town and

> driving the housing prices up and degrading the quality of life
> for the rest of us, and all they care about the place is can they
> build an addition the size of a small mansion on their property.
> They don't care and don't contribute to the community, politically
> or economically or socially: they shop and work fifty miles away,
> send their kids to private school, only come home to sleep, and
> don't know anything about the community they park their SUVs and
> BMWs in.

Zap! I've just waved my magic wand and made you Mayor of Kemnitzerville. Now, tell
us what you're going to do about these awful, awful people who have the temerity
to send their children to private schools (and they probably buy food from the
private sector too, the freaks). I don't really expect you to set up a Community
Responsibility And Participation Police to smash down the doors of their mansions
and drag them off to coach soccer teams, but I'm sure you'll come up with
something interesting...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Gareth Wilson
Christchurch
New Zealand
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ted Samsel

May 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/15/00
: Ahmad) wrote:

: >In article <391a1226...@enews.newsguy.com>,
: >Lucy Kemnitzer <rit...@cruzio.com> wrote:
: >
: >>I think the thing that suckered me was "Latinization," which I

: >>thought could be any of a number of delightful subjects, and then
: >>appeared to be most likely somebody raving about how the Terrible
: >>Mexicans Are Coming.
: >>
: >>Like I said, they're already here, where I am, with the awful
: >>terrible consequence of a different grocery store on the corner
: >>than there used to be, and five radio stations and two television
: >>channels in Spanish.
: >
: > And chipotle sauce being available in grocery chains like
: >Safeway. I'm not complaining.

: Yeah. Whenever anybody gets all het up about the rising tide of

: whatever immigration, I think about the grocery stores and the
: national festivals which will follow.

And the corner panaderias (bakeries) with marranitos (ginger pigs)
and campechanas.

con/safos

--
Ted Samsel....tejas@infi.net (or tbsa...@richmond.infi.net)
"do the boogie woogie in the South American way"

William December Starr

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
In article <w4bt28s...@kline-station.ckdhr.com>,

Christopher K Davis <ckd-...@ckdhr.com> said:

> Oh yeah! Walking down my street (just under a couple miles from the
> river to Harvard Square, where I go shopping for my ObSF at the local
> specialty SF bookstore),

Pandemonium? Or is there one in the Square that I don't know about?

-- William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

Christopher K Davis

May 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM5/16/00
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> writes:

> In article <w4bt28s...@kline-station.ckdhr.com>,
> Christopher K Davis <ckd-...@ckdhr.com> said:

>> Oh yeah! Walking down my street (just under a couple miles from the
>> river to Harvard Square, where I go shopping for my ObSF at the local
>> specialty SF bookstore),

> Pandemonium? Or is there one in the Square that I don't know about?

Pandemonium, which is "in the Square" by my definition (heck, anything
you can get to from the main T entrance without crossing a street HAS to
be :-). Wordsworth, for all its glories, isn't a specialty bookstore.