ISFDB error

philos...@yahoo.com

Nov 26, 2007, 8:35:36 PM11/26/07
Heya!

I was looking at the Cherryh page, trying to jog my memory on a story
title. And I see that you have a section for her called "Poems", and
listing several songs from the Merovingen books. Looking at my
copies, it lists those as Lyrics Mercedes Lackey/Music CJ Cherryh.
Which implies (to me, at least), that CJ didn't have anything to do
with the lyrics, but wrote the music. Which isn't actually written in
the books (except for the chords). So I'm not sure that I would
credit her with "Poems", although I am not sure what I would credit
those as.

You also left out A Song for Marina. And Partners is found in both
Troubled Waters and Fever Season. (Both also Mercedes Lackey/Cherryh
joint ventures.)

And (last two, I promise!) you have Mercedes Lackey credited two ways
in the Poem section on that page, and Short Stories should definitely
be two words. Don't know if that's specific to this page or generic
header issue.

Rebecca

Ahasuerus

Nov 28, 2007, 2:11:29 AM11/28/07

Thanks muchly! A platoon of crack bibliographers will be dispatched
immediately! :)

Steve Coltrin

Nov 28, 2007, 2:23:10 PM11/28/07
begin fnord
philos...@yahoo.com writes:

> I was looking at the Cherryh page, trying to jog my memory on a story
> title. And I see that you have a section for her called "Poems", and
> listing several songs from the Merovingen books. Looking at my
> copies, it lists those as Lyrics Mercedes Lackey/Music CJ Cherryh.
> Which implies (to me, at least), that CJ didn't have anything to do
> with the lyrics, but wrote the music. Which isn't actually written in
> the books (except for the chords).

I don't have evidence in hand, but I would not be surprised at all
if the music was written by Leslie Fish.

--
Steve Coltrin spco...@omcl.org Google Groups killfiled here
"A group known as the League of Human Dignity helped arrange for Deuel

Dorothy J Heydt

Nov 28, 2007, 2:28:04 PM11/28/07
In article <86ir3mc...@signy.omcl.org>,

Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org> wrote:
>begin fnord
>philos...@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> I was looking at the Cherryh page, trying to jog my memory on a story
>> title. And I see that you have a section for her called "Poems", and
>> listing several songs from the Merovingen books. Looking at my
>> copies, it lists those as Lyrics Mercedes Lackey/Music CJ Cherryh.
>> Which implies (to me, at least), that CJ didn't have anything to do
>> with the lyrics, but wrote the music. Which isn't actually written in
>> the books (except for the chords).
>
>I don't have evidence in hand, but I would not be surprised at all
>if the music was written by Leslie Fish.

Some of the music and lyrics are by Fish. Others are by Lackey.
Once long ago in the dim past, when Off-Centaur/Firebird was
still being managed by my sister-in-law, Hal and I and the kids
were all called in one evening to provide "audience" and backup
chorus for a tape they were recording of Misty Lackey singing
Merovingen songs.

"I want a blonde,
Maybe green eyes, maybe blue;
I want a blonde!
I could even go for two ---
Dozen!"

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com

Steve Coltrin

Nov 28, 2007, 2:50:20 PM11/28/07
begin fnord

djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:

> In article <86ir3mc...@signy.omcl.org>,
> Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org> wrote:
>>
>>I don't have evidence in hand, but I would not be surprised at all
>>if the music was written by Leslie Fish.
>
> Some of the music and lyrics are by Fish. Others are by Lackey.

Lackey notes on the J-card of a cassette how she would deluge Fish
with lyrics needing music, so I suspect she wrote little if any
tunes. If I were at home I'd check the card for _Fever Season_;
it may break the credits down to that granularity.

philos...@yahoo.com

Nov 28, 2007, 9:24:18 PM11/28/07
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:50:20 -0700, Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org>
wrote:

>begin fnord
>djh...@kithrup.com (Dorothy J Heydt) writes:
>
>> In article <86ir3mc...@signy.omcl.org>,
>> Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org> wrote:
>>>
>>>I don't have evidence in hand, but I would not be surprised at all
>>>if the music was written by Leslie Fish.
>>
>> Some of the music and lyrics are by Fish. Others are by Lackey.
>
>Lackey notes on the J-card of a cassette how she would deluge Fish
>with lyrics needing music, so I suspect she wrote little if any
>tunes. If I were at home I'd check the card for _Fever Season_;
>it may break the credits down to that granularity.

Having the books still sitting by the computer, all I will say is that
they are listed as:

"Guardian" Lyrics & Music: Leslie Fish (c) 9/22/83
"Black Water (Suicide)" Lyrics copyright 1986 by Mercedes R. Lackey,
Music copyright 1986 by C.J. Cherryh
"Private Conversation" Lyrics copyright 1986 by Mercedes R. Lackey,
Music copyright 1986 by C.J. Cherryh

"Fever Season" Lyrics by Mercedes Lackey, Music by CJ Cherryh
"Mist Thoughts (A Waltz with a Limp)" Lyrics by Mercedes Lackey,
Music by CJ Cherryh
"Partners" Lyrics by Mercedes Lackey, Music by CJ Cherryh

"Partners" Lyrics copyright 1987 by Mercedes R. Lackey, Music
copyright 1987 by C.J. Cherryh
"A Song for Marina" Lyrics copyright 1987 by Mercedes R. Lackey,
Music copyright 1987 by C.J. Cherryh

The last set have tab notation (I think that's what it's called), the
first two don't.

Rebecca

Steve Coltrin

Nov 29, 2007, 12:10:18 AM11/29/07
begin fnord
philos...@yahoo.com writes:

> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:50:20 -0700, Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org>
> wrote:
>
>>Lackey notes on the J-card of a cassette how she would deluge Fish
>>with lyrics needing music, so I suspect she wrote little if any
>>tunes. If I were at home I'd check the card for _Fever Season_;
>>it may break the credits down to that granularity.

They don't explicitly, but on checking five J-cards, I found one song
credited "Lackey" rather than "Lackey/Fish" (or /Cherryh, etc), which
I take to mean she did write the tune for that one.

> "Partners" Lyrics copyright 1987 by Mercedes R. Lackey, Music
> copyright 1987 by C.J. Cherryh
> "A Song for Marina" Lyrics copyright 1987 by Mercedes R. Lackey,
> Music copyright 1987 by C.J. Cherryh
>
> The last set have tab notation (I think that's what it's called), the
> first two don't.

Letters over the lyrics, such as
Am G D E
"What are the bugles blowin' for?" said Files-on-Parade.
? That's just chords. Guitar tablature is like staff notation, except
with six lines rather than five and numbers rather than notes.

philos...@yahoo.com

Nov 29, 2007, 11:01:21 PM11/29/07
On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 22:10:18 -0700, Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org>
wrote:

>begin fnord
>philos...@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 12:50:20 -0700, Steve Coltrin <spco...@omcl.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Lackey notes on the J-card of a cassette how she would deluge Fish
>>>with lyrics needing music, so I suspect she wrote little if any
>>>tunes. If I were at home I'd check the card for _Fever Season_;
>>>it may break the credits down to that granularity.
>
>They don't explicitly, but on checking five J-cards, I found one song
>credited "Lackey" rather than "Lackey/Fish" (or /Cherryh, etc), which
>I take to mean she did write the tune for that one.
>
>> "Partners" Lyrics copyright 1987 by Mercedes R. Lackey, Music
>> copyright 1987 by C.J. Cherryh
>> "A Song for Marina" Lyrics copyright 1987 by Mercedes R. Lackey,
>> Music copyright 1987 by C.J. Cherryh
>>
>> The last set have tab notation (I think that's what it's called), the
>> first two don't.
>
>Letters over the lyrics, such as
> Am G D E
> "What are the bugles blowin' for?" said Files-on-Parade.
>? That's just chords. Guitar tablature is like staff notation, except
>with six lines rather than five and numbers rather than notes.

Ah, then it's just the chords. And what does Am stand for? I'm
assuming A, but it could be major or minor.

Rebecca

Mike Schilling

Nov 29, 2007, 11:49:18 PM11/29/07

"m" is minor. "maj" (or "Maj") is major, as in Gmaj7 (which is a different
chord from G7; Gmaj7 has an F# where G7 has an F natural).

Steve Coltrin

Nov 30, 2007, 1:18:01 AM11/30/07
begin fnord
philos...@yahoo.com writes:

A minor, yes; an unadorned letter is the major. A7 is dominant seventh,
then there's suspended notes, plus a galaxy of others unlikely to come
up in f[io]lk.