YASID: Travel agency, one-way ticket to beautiful planet, barn

Richard Horton

Jun 13, 2003, 9:50:41 PM6/13/03
A correspondent sent me this question, and I can't recall the story,
though it does ring a faint bell. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard...@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

Scott Beeler

Jun 14, 2003, 1:59:55 PM6/14/03
Richard Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> A correspondent sent me this question, and I can't recall the story,
> though it does ring a faint bell. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.
>
> >Can you help me recall a short story I read? It involved a man, tired of his
> >life, who learns about an extraordinary travel agency. He goes into the shop
> >to book a vacation, and the strange clerk ends up selling him a one-way pass
> >to a planet where everything is beautiful, in return for all the money he
> >has on him right then. He is then taken to a barn in the country with others
> >who have done the same thing, and as they wait there he begins to feel silly
> >and think he has "been had", and runs out of the barn only to see a flash of
> >light behind him, taking all the others on to the beautiful planet while he
> >is left behind.
> >
> >Who is the author? What is the name of the story? Any help would be
> >appreciated.

I remember this one being asked not too long ago.
<googles>
Jack Finney, "Of Missing Persons".

--
Scott C. Beeler scott...@home.com

Richard Horton

Jun 14, 2003, 2:27:02 PM6/14/03
On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:59:55 GMT, scott...@cox.net (Scott Beeler)
wrote:

Thanks! I'll bet the previous YASID is what rang the bell for me,
too.