SFBC 1971

James Nicoll

Mar 19, 2003, 11:13:08 PM3/19/03
List courtesy of Andrew Wheeler

Warning: this is one of those years I apparently spent asleep.

1971
January FIVE FATES by Anderson, Herbert, Dickson, Ellison & Laumer

Contents:

The Fatal Fulfilment (Poul Anderson)
Murder Will In (Frank Herbet)
Maverick (Gordon R. Dickson)
The Region Between (Harlan Ellison)
Of Death What Dreams (Keith Laumer)

This is a collection of five stories connected by sharing
the same opening scene. It was memorable enough to have come up on
this newsgroup multiple times in YASID threads but not memorable to
me: all I recall of this is the cover art and what I read on the
threads.

INTER ICE AGE 4 by Kobo Abe

I saw this but never bought it. Abe (1924-1993) was a Japanese
author who seems to have had a remarkable rate of translation into
English but I seem to have missed them all.

Winter THE GODS OF MARS & THE WARLORD OF MARS by Edgar Rice Burroughs

The last two books of the initial Mars trilogy by Burroughs.
I don't think they are very good, even taking into account when they
were written and for who.

THE YEAR OF THE CLOUD by Kate Wilhelm and Ted Thomas

Never even saw this one. Wilhelm is a talented author lost
to mystery. Thomas I don't know from Adam.

February BEST SCIENCE FICTION STORIES OF CLIFFORD D. SIMAK by Clifford D.
Simak

Contains:

Founding Father
Immigrant
New Folk's Home
Crying Jag
All the Traps of Earth
Lulu
Neighbor

No doubt I read some of these but I don't own this and the titles
are not triggering memories.

OUR FRIENDS FROM FROLIX 8 by Philip K. Dick

I missed this as part of my comprehensive miss almost everything
by PKD program.

March RED MOON AND BLACK MOUNTAIN by Joy Chant

And I missed this.

DIMENSION X compiled by Damon Knight

Contents:

The Man Who Sold the Moon (Robert A. Heinlein)
The Marching Morons (C.M. Kornbluth)
Fiddler's Green (Richard M. McKenna)
The Saliva Tree (Brian W. Aldiss)
The Ugly Little Boy (Isaac Asimov)

This looks like a pretty good collection, although anyone who
had been an SFBC member for a while would likely already have all of
these except for the Asimov and the McKenna.

I wonder on average how long the SFBC keeps stuff in print?

April THE HOUSE IN NOVEMBER by Keith Laumer

On the other hand, this is much more frustrating: I know I read
this because I can google up me recommending a decade ago but exactly
which novel about superhuman protagonists this is escapes me.

FUN WITH YOUR NEW HEAD by Thomas M. Disch

Good SF writer, dodgy critic. In keeping with much of the rest
of 1971, I missed this.

May THE ROBOT NOVELS (omnibus of THE CAVES OF STEEL and THE NAKED SUN) by
Isaac Asimov

This is an onmibus of the two Lije Baley/R Daneel, previously
reviewed.

STURGEON IS ALIVE AND WELL by Theodore Sturgeon

Foreword
To Here and the Easel
Slow Sculpture
It's You!
Take Care of Joey
Crate
The Girl Who Knew What They Meant
Jorry's Gap
It Was Nothing--Really!
Brownshoes
Uncle Fremmis
The Patterns of Dorne
Suicide

I remember what must have been a Ballantine MMPK reprint of this
but I never read it. Better than having forgotten it, I suppose.

Spring DOWN IN THE BLACK GANG by Philip Jose Farmer

I missed this.

THE ICE PEOPLE by Rene Barjavel

But not this tale of mysterious people retreived from the ice. It's
not actually very good, though.

June ALONE AGAINST TOMORROW by Harlan Ellison

Contents:

The Song of the Soul
I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream
The Discarded
Deeper Than the Darkness
Blind Lightning
All the Sounds of Fear
The Silver Corridor
"Repent, Harlequin!" Said the Ticktockman
Bright Eyes
Are You Listening?
Try a Dull Knife
In Lonely Hands
Eyes of Dust
Nothing for My Noon Meal
O Ye of Little Faith
The Time of the Eye
Life Hutch
The Very Last Day of a Good Woman
Night Vigil
Lonelyache
Pennies off a Dead Man's Eyes

A fair number of these ended up in _The Essential Harlan Ellison_.
I can't say I really *enjoyed* most of them but they were well written.

A TIME OF CHANGES by Robert Silverberg

One of the few classic Mid-Period Silverberg novels I missed.

July DRIFTGLASS by Samuel R. Delany

On the other hand, my lack of knowledge about Delany is almost
all encompassing.

FREEZING DOWN by Anders Bodelson

And I have not even heard of this author.

August WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? Edited by Isaac Asimov

Contents:

Introduction (Isaac Asimov)
A Martian Odyssey (Stanley G. Weinbaum)
Night (John W. Campbell)
The Day is Done (Lester del Rey)
Heavy Planet (Milton Rothman)
"--And He Built a Crooked House" (Robert A. Heinlein)
Proof (Hal Clement)
A Subway Named Mobius (A.J. Deutsch)
Surface Tension (James Blish)
Country Doctor (William Morrison)
The Holes Around Mars (Jerome Bixby)
The Deep Range (Arthur C. Clarke)
The Cave of Night (James E. Gunn)
Dust Rag (Hal Clement)
Pate de Foie Gras (Isaac Asimov)
Omnilingual (H. Beam Piper)
The Big Bounce (Walter Tevis)
Neutron Star (Larry Niven)

This looks like a fairly good introduction to SF stories of
a certain type from a certain period. I have forgotten Bixby inflicted
that particular shaggy dog story on SF but the others, or at least the
others I recall, are pretty good and don't end with stupid stupid punch
lines. That said, I miss Bixby.

It seems to me that there's a connection between Deutsch and
that guy whose wife could bring him lunch but not a nickel but I am
blanking on its exact nature. This is Deutsch's only published SF
story (He and Asimov were at Boston together, and Asimov was the one
who urged him to submit it) but it was a memorable story.

THE DANCER FROM ATLANTIS by Poul Anderson

This is a moody tale of a modern man cast back in time with
a number of people from other eras. Complicating matters is when and
where they end up: near the volanic island that will soon give rise
to the legend of Atlantis by erupting and flatlining Cretan and Greek
civilization.

September WORLD'S BEST SF: 1971 edited by Donald Wollheim & Terry Carr

Introduction (Wollheim & Carr)
Slow Sculpture (Theodore Sturgeon)
Bird in the Hand (Larry Niven)
Ishmael in Love (Robert Silverberg)
Invasion of Privacy (Bob Shaw)
Waterclap (Isaac Asimov)
Continued on Next Rock (R.A. Lafferty)
The Thing in the Stone (Clifford D. Simak)
Nobody Lives in Burton Street (Gregory Benford)
Whatever Happened to the McGowans (Michael G. Coney)
The Last Time Around (Arthur Sellings)
Greyspun's Gift (Neal Barrett, Jr.)
The Shaker Revival (Gerald Jonas)
Dear Aunt Annie (Gordon Eklund)
Confessions (Ron Goulart)
Gone are the Lupo (H.B. Hickey)

At the risk of cementing my repution for forgetting, even the
ones in here I know I read (The Niven) don't seem to have left much
impression.

JACK OF SHADOWS by Roger Zelazny

I really have to sit down and read all of the RZ I missed. Oh
well, at least it isn't that damn Rose story.

Fall THE BEST FROM FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION, 19TH SERIES edited by Edward
L. Ferman

Contents:

Gone Fishin' (Robin Scott Wilson)
Selectra Six-Ten (Avram Davidson)
Longtooth (Edgar Pangborn)
Sundance (Robert Silverberg)
The Brief, Swinging Career of Dan and Judy Smythe (Carter Wilson)
Dream Patrol (Charles W. Runyon)
Calliope and Gherkin and the Yankee Doodle Thing (Evelyn E. Smith)
Notes Just Prior to the Fall (Barry N. Malzberg)
Confessions (Ron Goulart)
Get a Horse! (Larry Niven)
The Man Who LEarned Loving (Theodore Sturgeon)
Litterbug (Tony Morphett)
An Adventure in the Yolla Bolly Middle Eel Wilderness (Vance Aandahl)
Starting From Scratch (Robert Sheckley)
Benji's Pencil (Bruce McAllister)
Six Cartoons (Gaham Wilson)

The Niven is a Svetz story about a hapless time traveller whose
expeditions never lead him back to true history and always entangle
him with thing he likely would have chose to avoid (In this case, an
ornry unicorn). I am failignto come up with interesting commentary on
the rest, though.

ORN by Piers Anthony

This I missed but don't feel so bad about missing.

October THE TIME MASTERS by Wilson Tucker

I think I missed this one as well.

THE EDICT by Max Ehrlich

I missed this.

November THE LATHE OF HEAVEN by Ursula K. Le Guin

This is a shart novel about a man whose dreams can shape the world.
OK story but avoid the recent adaptation of it.

CHRONOPOLIS AND OTHER STORIES by J.G. Ballard

Contents:

The Voices of Time
The Drowned Giant
The Terminal Beach
Manhole 69
Storm-Bird, Storm-Dreamer
The Sound-Sweep
Billenium
Chronopolis
Build-Up
The Garden of Time
End-Game
The Watch-Towers
Now Wakes the Sea
Zone of Terror
The Cage of Sand
Deep End

Someone familiar with Ballard will have to handle this one.

December DUNE by Frank Herbert

Take some Lawrence of Arabia, mix in ASF Psi Powers and what do
you get? _Dune_, a story about a boy and his jihad. I suspect that this is
one of those books that seems much more impressive if you've never heard
of the Seven Pillars of Wisdom and if you are a teen when you encounter it.
And if you don't think about the energy it takes to plow through sand.

I think it's still an ok read but avoid the sequels starting with
_God (Does Nothing Happen in this Book) Emperor of Dune_ and be warned that
both movie versions are seriously flawed, although in different ways.

THE RUINS OF EARTH edited by Thomas M. Disch

Contents:

On Saving the World (Thomas Disch)
Deer in the Works (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)
Three Million Square Miles (Gene Wolfe)
Closing with Nature (Norman Rush)
The Plot to Save the World (Michael Brownstein)
Autofac (Philip K. Dick)
Roommates (Harry Harrison)
Groaning Hinges of the World (R.A. Lafferty)
Gas Mask (James D. Houston)
Wednesday, November 15, 1967 (George Alec Effinger)
The Cage of Sand (J.G. Ballard)
Accident Vertigo (Kenward Elmslie)
The Birds (Daphne DeMaurier)
Do It For Mama! (Jerrold J. Mundis)
The Dreadful Has Already Happened (Norman Kagan)
The Shaker Revival (Gerald Jonas)
America the Beautiful (Fritz Leiber)

Well, I know -of- "The Birds". Otherwise it seems to be a
clean sweep, although I suspect these are not happy stories.
--
"About this time, I started getting depressed. Probably the late
hour and the silence. I decided to put on some music.

rmtodd

Mar 20, 2003, 12:18:09 AM3/20/03
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:

> August WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? Edited by Isaac Asimov

> Contents:

> Introduction (Isaac Asimov)
> A Martian Odyssey (Stanley G. Weinbaum)
> Night (John W. Campbell)
> The Day is Done (Lester del Rey)
> Heavy Planet (Milton Rothman)
> "--And He Built a Crooked House" (Robert A. Heinlein)
> Proof (Hal Clement)
> A Subway Named Mobius (A.J. Deutsch)
> Surface Tension (James Blish)
> Country Doctor (William Morrison)
> The Holes Around Mars (Jerome Bixby)
> The Deep Range (Arthur C. Clarke)
> The Cave of Night (James E. Gunn)
> Dust Rag (Hal Clement)
> Pate de Foie Gras (Isaac Asimov)
> Omnilingual (H. Beam Piper)
> The Big Bounce (Walter Tevis)
> Neutron Star (Larry Niven)

I remember this collection fondly; it was the first SF anthology I ever read.
My favorite stories were "A Martian Odyssey", "Night", the Heinlein one,
"Proof", "A Subway Named Mobius", "Surface Tension", "Country Doctor",
"Dust Rag", "Omnilingual", and "Neutron Star". (And I realize, reading this,
that I have completely forgotten what "The Cave of Night" was about; better
go dig up my copy and reread it.)

"Country Doctor" was a really neat story; did Morrison ever do anything else
of interest?

> It seems to me that there's a connection between Deutsch and
> that guy whose wife could bring him lunch but not a nickel but I am
> blanking on its exact nature. This is Deutsch's only published SF

Charlie, of "Charlie and the MTA" by the Kingston Trio fame, and yes,
apparently the song was inspired by "A Subway Named Mobius". Fumbling
about in my archives, I find a copy of an old post by Dorothy Heydt
explaining this; you should be able to read it in the Google archives at
http://www.google.com/groups?selm=FKoyFn.GsJ%40kithrup.com .

Richard Horton

Mar 20, 2003, 12:23:02 AM3/20/03
On 19 Mar 2003 23:13:08 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
wrote:

> STURGEON IS ALIVE AND WELL by Theodore Sturgeon
>
> Foreword
> To Here and the Easel
> Slow Sculpture
> It's You!
> Take Care of Joey
> Crate
> The Girl Who Knew What They Meant
> Jorry's Gap
> It Was Nothing--Really!
> Brownshoes
> Uncle Fremmis
> The Patterns of Dorne
> Suicide
>

> I remember what must have been a Ballantine MMPK reprint of this
>but I never read it. Better than having forgotten it, I suppose.

This is really minor Sturgeon. "Slow Sculpture" won a Nebula, but
though it's OK I don't think it's great, and the rest are fairly
forgettable. I mean, I've forgotten them, so they must be
forgettable!

This might have been the first Ellison collection I read. I think
it's pretty good, over all.

> A TIME OF CHANGES by Robert Silverberg
>
> One of the few classic Mid-Period Silverberg novels I missed.

This was one of the earlier books I bought from SFBC, not in my first
shipment but not long after. Must have been in 1975 or so. I really
liked it a whole lot when I first read it. I should mention that it
seems potentially influenced by Ayn Rand's _Anthem_.

>July DRIFTGLASS by Samuel R. Delany
>
> On the other hand, my lack of knowledge about Delany is almost
>all encompassing.

This is Delany's first story collection and it's one of the great SF
story collections ever. "The Star Pit". "Time Considered as a Helix
of Semi-Precious Stones". "Aye, and Gomorrah". "High Weir". "We, in
Some Strange Power's Emply, Move on a Rigorous Line". (This last
Delany doing Zelazny, complete with a villain obviously modelled on
RZ.)

> FREEZING DOWN by Anders Bodelson
>
> And I have not even heard of this author.

My local library must have had a copy because I remember it but I
never read it.

>August WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? Edited by Isaac Asimov

Bixby was a pretty good editor at Planet Stories, besides doing this
silly story and "It's a Good Life!".

> It seems to me that there's a connection between Deutsch and
>that guy whose wife could bring him lunch but not a nickel but I am
>blanking on its exact nature. This is Deutsch's only published SF
>story (He and Asimov were at Boston together, and Asimov was the one
>who urged him to submit it) but it was a memorable story.

That's the song "Charley and the MTA", right? The connection is a guy
stuck on the subway system.

That's certainly the most famous Gerald Jonas story (just think of all
those years of NYTBR reviewing on the strength of how many stories?
OK, he didn't get the job because of his stories, but because of his
reviewing ability.)

An odd collection. Benford, Barrett, and Coney show up with stories I
sure don't recall, but they all wrote pretty good stuff eventually, so
you have to give the editors SOME credit. "Bird in the Hand" is one
of Niven's Svetz stories, about the time traveller who brings back
fantasy creatures. Pretty fun. The Asimov is decent Asimov from a
period in which he wrote damn little SF.

> CHRONOPOLIS AND OTHER STORIES by J.G. Ballard
>
> Contents:
>
> The Voices of Time
> The Drowned Giant
> The Terminal Beach
> Manhole 69
> Storm-Bird, Storm-Dreamer
> The Sound-Sweep
> Billenium
> Chronopolis
> Build-Up
> The Garden of Time
> End-Game
> The Watch-Towers
> Now Wakes the Sea
> Zone of Terror
> The Cage of Sand
> Deep End
>

> Someone familiar with Ballard will have to handle this one.

You have to be in the mood for Ballard, but if you are, this is really
great stuff. Abandoned spaceships on empty sand, abandoned cities,
people going insane quietly, -- lots of weirdness. I really liked
this book.

--
Rich Horton | Stable Email: mailto://richard...@sff.net
Home Page: http://www.sff.net/people/richard.horton

Richard Horton

Mar 20, 2003, 12:28:39 AM3/20/03
On 19 Mar 2003 23:18:09 -0600, rmtodd <rmt...@amonduul.ecn.ou.edu>
wrote:

>I remember this collection fondly; it was the first SF anthology I ever read.
>My favorite stories were "A Martian Odyssey", "Night", the Heinlein one,
>"Proof", "A Subway Named Mobius", "Surface Tension", "Country Doctor",
>"Dust Rag", "Omnilingual", and "Neutron Star". (And I realize, reading this,
>that I have completely forgotten what "The Cave of Night" was about; better
>go dig up my copy and reread it.)

A guy stuck in a spaceship, dying. With a twist ending, of course.

>"Country Doctor" was a really neat story; did Morrison ever do anything else
>of interest?

He published fairly regularly in the early 50s, often in Astounding.
Some good stuff. "The Sack" is another story you may have heard of.

Richard Horton

Mar 20, 2003, 12:32:36 AM3/20/03
wrote:

>Charlie, of "Charlie and the MTA" by the Kingston Trio fame, and yes,

>apparently the song was inspired by "A Subway Named Mobius". Fumbling
>about in my archives, I find a copy of an old post by Dorothy Heydt
>explaining this; you should be able to read it in the Google archives at
>http://www.google.com/groups?selm=FKoyFn.GsJ%40kithrup.com .

The problem is, the person who claims to have concocted the song (and
who credits Deutche's story with providing the inspiration) says she
did so for a Progressive campaign in the Winter of 1947/1948. But the
story wasn't published until the December 1950 issue of Astounding.

RRO

Mar 20, 2003, 1:06:54 AM3/20/03
On 19 Mar 2003 23:13:08 -0500, in rec.arts.sf.written, in article
<b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
wrote:

> OUR FRIENDS FROM FROLIX 8 by Philip K. Dick
>
> I missed this as part of my comprehensive miss almost everything
>by PKD program.

I sense a pattern here.

Robert A. Woodward

Mar 20, 2003, 1:44:32 AM3/20/03
In article <b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> List courtesy of Andrew Wheeler
>
> Warning: this is one of those years I apparently spent asleep.

<SNIP>

> A TIME OF CHANGES by Robert Silverberg
>
> One of the few classic Mid-Period Silverberg novels I missed.

Is this one set on a planet which has both intelligent elephants and
intelligent tigers? (OK, they weren't really elephants or tigers).

<SNIP>

> ORN by Piers Anthony
>
> This I missed but don't feel so bad about missing.

Sequel to _Omnivore_

<SNIP>

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw

Niall McAuley

Mar 20, 2003, 5:14:58 AM3/20/03
"James Nicoll" <jdni...@panix.com> wrote in message news:b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com...

> Winter THE GODS OF MARS & THE WARLORD OF MARS by Edgar Rice Burroughs

> The last two books of the initial Mars trilogy by Burroughs.
> I don't think they are very good, even taking into account when they
> were written and for who.

I think they are the best of the Mars series, since he's hit his stride
and going full-on, so if you like that sort of thing...

Available from Gutenberg free.

> Slow Sculpture

Good, not brilliant.

> It Was Nothing--Really!

This is the one about why perforated paper never tears along the perforations.

> Waterclap (Isaac Asimov)

Asimov attempts to write a thriller. Fails. A result of a tangle with
Hollywood, I think.
--
Niall [real address ends in se, not es.invalid]

Chuck Bridgeland

Mar 20, 2003, 8:33:45 AM3/20/03
On 19 Mar 2003 23:13:08 -0500, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:

> April THE HOUSE IN NOVEMBER by Keith Laumer
>
> On the other hand, this is much more frustrating: I know I read
> this because I can google up me recommending a decade ago but exactly
> which novel about superhuman protagonists this is escapes me.

Starts with some guy who's been in prison since the US Civil War. Wanders
on kind of incomprensibly into world catastrophy.

> Spring DOWN IN THE BLACK GANG by Philip Jose Farmer
>
> I missed this.

Short story collection. The title story is about using religious enthusiasm
to power moving the universe. AT least that's the way I read it.

> September WORLD'S BEST SF: 1971 edited by Donald Wollheim & Terry Carr
>

> Introduction (Wollheim & Carr)
> Slow Sculpture (Theodore Sturgeon)
> Bird in the Hand (Larry Niven)
> Ishmael in Love (Robert Silverberg)

(Ishmael is a dolphin. With the hots for a human lady, IIRC.)

> Gone are the Lupo (H.B. Hickey)

"Gone are the Lupo, come are the men." is all I remember of this.

> JACK OF SHADOWS by Roger Zelazny
>
> I really have to sit down and read all of the RZ I missed. Oh
> well, at least it isn't that damn Rose story.

Serialized in F&SF. The day world is science, might world is magic. Night
world people can reincarnate, but not indefinatly.

--
War. Win, loose or draw, we get a depression afterwards. 2004 or
2008, we get President Hillary and her Homeland Security brownshirts.

Chuck Bridgeland

Mar 20, 2003, 8:37:35 AM3/20/03
On Wed, 19 Mar 2003 22:44:32 -0800, Robert A. Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com> wrote:

> In article <b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
>> List courtesy of Andrew Wheeler
>>
>> Warning: this is one of those years I apparently spent asleep.
>>
><SNIP>
>>
>> A TIME OF CHANGES by Robert Silverberg
>>
>> One of the few classic Mid-Period Silverberg novels I missed.
>>

> Is this one set on a planet which has both intelligent elephants and
> intelligent tigers? (OK, they weren't really elephants or tigers).

No, that was _Downward to the Earth_. _Time of Changes_ took place on a
world where there was a cultural taboo against using the pronoun "I". The
protagonist takes drugs and decides "I" is OK. Kind of a 1970s thing, I
guess.

Chris Puzak

Mar 20, 2003, 9:16:30 AM3/20/03
"Robert A. Woodward" <robe...@drizzle.com> wrote in message news:<robertaw-589BF4...@news.fu-berlin.de>...

> In article <b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>,
> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
> > List courtesy of Andrew Wheeler
> >
> > Warning: this is one of those years I apparently spent asleep.
> >
> <SNIP>
> >
> > A TIME OF CHANGES by Robert Silverberg
> >
> > One of the few classic Mid-Period Silverberg novels I missed.
> >

> Is this one set on a planet which has both intelligent elephants and
> intelligent tigers? (OK, they weren't really elephants or tigers).
>
> <SNIP>

If I remember correctly, that's DOWNWARD TO THE EARTH. TIME OF CHANGES
is one set on the planet where everyone is psychic and there's no
concept of individuality. In the copy I have Silverberg remarked on
the similarity between his book and ANTHEM, although he didn't seem to
care for ANTHEM too much.

D. Barrington

Mar 20, 2003, 9:47:49 AM3/20/03
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
: August WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? Edited by Isaac Asimov

: Contents:

[...]
: A Subway Named Mobius (A.J. Deutsch)
[...]:

: It seems to me that there's a connection between Deutsch and

: that guy whose wife could bring him lunch but not a nickel but I am
: blanking on its exact nature. This is Deutsch's only published SF
: story (He and Asimov were at Boston together, and Asimov was the one
: who urged him to submit it) but it was a memorable story.

I read a letter in the _Boston Globe_ from a woman involved in
the campaign of a socialist candidate for mayor of Boston in 1950,
who claimed that the song _MTA_ (later recorded by the Kingston
trio) was (a) written for this campaign and (b) directly inspired
by a science fiction story, almost certainly the Deutsch story.

Google says that I mentioned this on rasfw in August 1996 and said
that I'd read this letter "a few years ago".

Dave MB

Daphne Brinkerhoff

Mar 20, 2003, 9:48:14 AM3/20/03
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in message news:<b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>...

(snip)

> March RED MOON AND BLACK MOUNTAIN by Joy Chant
>
> And I missed this.

People who like The Fionavar Tapestry (I'm one) should also read
this--people from our world drawn into a fantasy world. Of course, it
reads like the author took _The Tough Guide to Fantasyland_ seriously:
the horse people, the mysterious elves, the magic fog, etc. But it's
done well.

--
Daphne

David Tate

Mar 20, 2003, 10:40:33 AM3/20/03
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in message news:<b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>...

> STURGEON IS ALIVE AND WELL by Theodore Sturgeon

This was the post-block collection that was supposed to show that
Sturgeon had recovered his powers. Unfortunately, as Rich Horton
notes, it's mostly minor stuff. The two exceptions are:

> Slow Sculpture

Nebula winner about a typical Sturgeon obsessed superscientist hermit,
and the girl who makes him human again. Not the very best Sturgeon,
but darn good.

> It's You!

Excellent mainstream story about a romantic relationship. I know at
least one author (Glen Engel-Cox) who considers this Sturgeon's best
story ever. Come to think of it, it's kind of the flip side of "Slow
Sculpture", in a way.

> September WORLD'S BEST SF: 1971 edited by Donald Wollheim & Terry Carr

> Continued on Next Rock (R.A. Lafferty)

Hugo, Locus, Nebula, and Ditmar nominee. Not Lafferty's
most-anthologized story, but one of his most famous.

> The Thing in the Stone (Clifford D. Simak)

Absolutely far and away my favorite Simak story. A man who lives near
a mountain comes to realize that there is Something alive inside it.

> Fall THE BEST FROM FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION, 19TH SERIES edited by Edward
> L. Ferman

> Selectra Six-Ten (Avram Davidson)

Davidson in 'frivolous' mode, having trouble with his typewriter.

> Longtooth (Edgar Pangborn)

One of the better sasquatch stories ever written.

All in all, though, I'm about as familiar with these as you are,
James.

David Tate

James Nicoll

Mar 20, 2003, 12:55:03 PM3/20/03
In article <slrnb7jgqa....@lennier.chuckbri.org>,

Chuck Bridgeland <chuckbri at computerdyn dot com> wrote:
>On 19 Mar 2003 23:13:08 -0500, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>
>> April THE HOUSE IN NOVEMBER by Keith Laumer
>>
>> On the other hand, this is much more frustrating: I know I read
>> this because I can google up me recommending a decade ago but exactly
>> which novel about superhuman protagonists this is escapes me.
>
>Starts with some guy who's been in prison since the US Civil War. Wanders
>on kind of incomprensibly into world catastrophy.

I thought that was _The Long Twilight_?

Luna

Mar 20, 2003, 1:33:03 PM3/20/03
In article <me1k7v0t8u3bddv97...@4ax.com>,
Jon Meltzer <jonmeltzer.at.mindspring.com> wrote:

> On 19 Mar 2003 23:13:08 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll)

> wrote:
>
> > OUR FRIENDS FROM FROLIX 8 by Philip K. Dick
> >
> > I missed this as part of my comprehensive miss almost everything
> >by PKD program.
>

> I haven't read it either, but Dick's biographers say this one was a
> potboiler written because he needed the money. I'd guess you can wait
> on this one.

Oooh, I liked that one. Just reread it the other day. I never would have
guessed that PKD looked down on it. I thought it was a very rich and
moving story.

--
-Michelle Levin (Luna)
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

In the beginning, there was nothing. Then it exploded.

Mike Schilling

Mar 20, 2003, 2:26:01 PM3/20/03

"Jon Meltzer" <jonmeltzer.at.mindspring.com> wrote in message >
> > Sundance (Robert Silverberg)
>
> Silverberg considers this one of his best.
I agree. One of the best depictions of insanity I've read.

Randy Money

Mar 20, 2003, 4:17:08 PM3/20/03
Jon Meltzer wrote:
> On 19 Mar 2003 23:13:08 -0500, jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll)
> wrote:

[...]

>>Fall THE BEST FROM FANTASY & SCIENCE FICTION, 19TH SERIES edited by Edward
>>L. Ferman
>>

>> Longtooth (Edgar Pangborn)
>

> "Davy" universe.

I don't think so. At least, Spider Robinson didn't include it in, _Still
I Persist in Wondering_. It was in _Good Neighbors and Other Strangers_.

Randy M.

John M. Gamble

Mar 20, 2003, 6:16:47 PM3/20/03
In article <b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>,

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> List courtesy of Andrew Wheeler
>
> Warning: this is one of those years I apparently spent asleep.

[*nudge* Hey, wake up, you're missing the good part.]

>1971
>January FIVE FATES by Anderson, Herbert, Dickson, Ellison & Laumer
>
> Contents:
>
> The Fatal Fulfilment (Poul Anderson)
> Murder Will In (Frank Herbet)
> Maverick (Gordon R. Dickson)
> The Region Between (Harlan Ellison)
> Of Death What Dreams (Keith Laumer)
>
> This is a collection of five stories connected by sharing
>the same opening scene. It was memorable enough to have come up on
>this newsgroup multiple times in YASID threads but not memorable to
>me: all I recall of this is the cover art and what I read on the
>threads.

Although i'm sure the concept had been done before in individual
stories, is this the first book to explicitly use the shared scene
gimmick?

> THE YEAR OF THE CLOUD by Kate Wilhelm and Ted Thomas
>
> Never even saw this one. Wilhelm is a talented author lost
>to mystery. Thomas I don't know from Adam.

Ted Thomas is one of those writers that i only see in co-authored
stories. He's collaborated with Theodore Cogswell, for instance.
I suspect he was more active in fandom than in the writing side of
the game.

>Spring DOWN IN THE BLACK GANG by Philip Jose Farmer
>
> I missed this.

I'm confident that it must be an anthology, as "Down In The Black Gang"
is a creepy short story. In the metaphorical ship, there are the
officers and down below is the Black Gang. The ship runs on, hmm,
probably spiritual energy (it's metaphorical), and guess where that
places us?

> A TIME OF CHANGES by Robert Silverberg
>
> One of the few classic Mid-Period Silverberg novels I missed.

This is the only Silverberg that i have ever actively disliked. The
whole premise was so.... argh, the idiocy of it still boggles my
mind. I find it hard to believe that Silverberg, whose stories and
novels i greatly admire, ever wrote this.

Of course, it won a Nebula.

>August WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? Edited by Isaac Asimov
>
> Contents:
>
> Introduction (Isaac Asimov)
> A Martian Odyssey (Stanley G. Weinbaum)
> Night (John W. Campbell)
> The Day is Done (Lester del Rey)
> Heavy Planet (Milton Rothman)
> "--And He Built a Crooked House" (Robert A. Heinlein)
> Proof (Hal Clement)
> A Subway Named Mobius (A.J. Deutsch)
> Surface Tension (James Blish)
> Country Doctor (William Morrison)
> The Holes Around Mars (Jerome Bixby)
> The Deep Range (Arthur C. Clarke)
> The Cave of Night (James E. Gunn)
> Dust Rag (Hal Clement)
> Pate de Foie Gras (Isaac Asimov)
> Omnilingual (H. Beam Piper)
> The Big Bounce (Walter Tevis)
> Neutron Star (Larry Niven)
>

> This looks like a fairly good introduction to SF stories of
>a certain type from a certain period. I have forgotten Bixby inflicted

If i recall correctly, the purpose was to collect stories that were
science-oriented (even the whoppers make good discussion points, like
the Bixby). At the time the Niven story was written, i believe Asimov
pointed out, there was no evidence that there was such an animal as a
neutron star.

>that particular shaggy dog story on SF but the others, or at least the
>others I recall, are pretty good and don't end with stupid stupid punch
>lines. That said, I miss Bixby.
>
> It seems to me that there's a connection between Deutsch and
>that guy whose wife could bring him lunch but not a nickel but I am
>blanking on its exact nature. This is Deutsch's only published SF
>story (He and Asimov were at Boston together, and Asimov was the one
>who urged him to submit it) but it was a memorable story.

Others have pointed out the folk song connection. I'll make another:
it may have been made into a movie. Maybe. I saw a listing (too late
for a movie whose title was "A Subway Called Moebius" in a South American
Films festival. I don't know when it was made, nor who made it, or in
what country. Glad to be of help.

> THE DANCER FROM ATLANTIS by Poul Anderson
>
> This is a moody tale of a modern man cast back in time with
>a number of people from other eras. Complicating matters is when and
>where they end up: near the volanic island that will soon give rise
>to the legend of Atlantis by erupting and flatlining Cretan and Greek
>civilization.

A good one from Anderson.

>September WORLD'S BEST SF: 1971 edited by Donald Wollheim & Terry Carr
>

> Introduction (Wollheim & Carr)
> Slow Sculpture (Theodore Sturgeon)
> Bird in the Hand (Larry Niven)
> Ishmael in Love (Robert Silverberg)
> Invasion of Privacy (Bob Shaw)
> Waterclap (Isaac Asimov)
> Continued on Next Rock (R.A. Lafferty)
> The Thing in the Stone (Clifford D. Simak)
> Nobody Lives in Burton Street (Gregory Benford)
> Whatever Happened to the McGowans (Michael G. Coney)
> The Last Time Around (Arthur Sellings)
> Greyspun's Gift (Neal Barrett, Jr.)
> The Shaker Revival (Gerald Jonas)
> Dear Aunt Annie (Gordon Eklund)
> Confessions (Ron Goulart)
> Gone are the Lupo (H.B. Hickey)

"The Thing in the Stone" must have been really good (i confess
that i can't remember it either), as it came in second place in
both the Nebula and Hugo Awards, both times behind "Ill Met in
Lankhmar".

> At the risk of cementing my repution for forgetting, even the
>ones in here I know I read (The Niven) don't seem to have left much
>impression.
>

> JACK OF SHADOWS by Roger Zelazny
>
> I really have to sit down and read all of the RZ I missed. Oh
>well, at least it isn't that damn Rose story.

Heh. Earth keeps one face towards the sun, where science rules.
The dark side is where magic rules. The "Jack of Shadows" is unusual
in that he is comfortable in either side, although he is a native
dark-sider.

> THE RUINS OF EARTH edited by Thomas M. Disch
>
> Contents:
>
> On Saving the World (Thomas Disch)
> Deer in the Works (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)
> Three Million Square Miles (Gene Wolfe)
> Closing with Nature (Norman Rush)
> The Plot to Save the World (Michael Brownstein)
> Autofac (Philip K. Dick)
> Roommates (Harry Harrison)
> Groaning Hinges of the World (R.A. Lafferty)
> Gas Mask (James D. Houston)
> Wednesday, November 15, 1967 (George Alec Effinger)
> The Cage of Sand (J.G. Ballard)
> Accident Vertigo (Kenward Elmslie)
> The Birds (Daphne DeMaurier)
> Do It For Mama! (Jerrold J. Mundis)
> The Dreadful Has Already Happened (Norman Kagan)
> The Shaker Revival (Gerald Jonas)
> America the Beautiful (Fritz Leiber)
>

> Well, I know -of- "The Birds". Otherwise it seems to be a
>clean sweep, although I suspect these are not happy stories.

Back when my "bookstore" was my neighborhood pharmacy, i picked up
this book. Considering that i was not at an age where depressing
stories appealed to me, this is a book that i hung onto for a
long while. "Roommates" is acquainted with, if not set it, the
world of *Soylent Green* (a.k.a. *Make Room, Make Room*). The
Lafferty is another secret of the world explained, i *think*
"America the Beautiful" is like his "Coming Attraction" - visitor
comes to America, and we see through his eyes just how bad things
have gotten.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.

Paul Vader

Mar 20, 2003, 7:29:41 PM3/20/03
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:
>Spring DOWN IN THE BLACK GANG by Philip Jose Farmer
>
> I missed this.

It's a story collection, containing:
Down in the Black Gang
The Shadow of Space
A Bowl Bigger than Earth
Riverworld
A Few Miles
Prometheus
The Blasphemers
How Deep the Grooves

This is one of the books I inherited from my mom's membership in the SFBC,
but I don't remember ever reading it. The cover art is rather ... odd.

> THE DANCER FROM ATLANTIS by Poul Anderson
>
> This is a moody tale of a modern man cast back in time with
>a number of people from other eras. Complicating matters is when and
>where they end up: near the volanic island that will soon give rise
>to the legend of Atlantis by erupting and flatlining Cretan and Greek
>civilization.

A damn fun book. The group of people convince the Cretans to build a
ridicuously anachronistic ship to attract the attention of other time
travelers.

> ORN by Piers Anthony
>
> This I missed but don't feel so bad about missing.

The followup to 'omnivore'. One more book before the brain eater attacked.

>October THE TIME MASTERS by Wilson Tucker
>
> I think I missed this one as well.

As someone who only knows Mr. Tucker as the toastmaster for Windycons, I am
constantly surprised by how many books the guy wrote, none of which I have
ever actually seen. Smooth!

>November THE LATHE OF HEAVEN by Ursula K. Le Guin
>
> This is a shart novel about a man whose dreams can shape the world.
>OK story but avoid the recent adaptation of it.

And how! On the other hand, the first TV adaptation is not bad at all. For some
reason though, neither adaptation did the ending like the author quite
intended (and the newest one falls into the 'nowhere near' category). *
like corkscrews.

Bill & Sue Miller

Mar 20, 2003, 7:36:10 PM3/20/03
Richard Horton wrote:

> (re: )July DRIFTGLASS by Samuel R. Delany

> This is Delany's first story collection and it's one of the great SF
> story collections ever. "The Star Pit". "Time Considered as a Helix
> of Semi-Precious Stones". "Aye, and Gomorrah". "High Weir". "We, in
> Some Strange Power's Emply, Move on a Rigorous Line". (This last
> Delany doing Zelazny, complete with a villain obviously modelled on
> RZ.)

Agree on this being a great collection. I'm going to have to reread this; I missed the Zelazny
connection you mention!

Bill
--
Home: wbmi...@houston.rr.com
Work: william....@jsc.nasa.gov

Chuck Bridgeland

Mar 20, 2003, 9:26:43 PM3/20/03
On 20 Mar 2003 12:55:03 -0500, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <slrnb7jgqa....@lennier.chuckbri.org>,
> Chuck Bridgeland <chuckbri at computerdyn dot com> wrote:
>>On 19 Mar 2003 23:13:08 -0500, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>>
>>> April THE HOUSE IN NOVEMBER by Keith Laumer
>>>
>>> On the other hand, this is much more frustrating: I know I read
>>> this because I can google up me recommending a decade ago but exactly
>>> which novel about superhuman protagonists this is escapes me.
>>
>>Starts with some guy who's been in prison since the US Civil War. Wanders
>>on kind of incomprensibly into world catastrophy.
>
> I thought that was _The Long Twilight_?

Maybe I misremember. It's been something like 25 years since I read it,
once.

Wasn't _House in November_ serialized in _IF_?

--
War. Win, loose or draw, we get a depression afterwards. 2004 or
2008, we get President Hillary and her Homeland Security brownshirts.

chuck bridgeland, chuckbri at computerdyn dot com
http://www.essex1.com/people/chuckbri

Andrew Wheeler

Mar 20, 2003, 9:45:42 PM3/20/03
James Nicoll wrote:

> DIMENSION X compiled by Damon Knight
>
> Contents:
>
> The Man Who Sold the Moon (Robert A. Heinlein)
> The Marching Morons (C.M. Kornbluth)
> Fiddler's Green (Richard M. McKenna)
> The Saliva Tree (Brian W. Aldiss)
> The Ugly Little Boy (Isaac Asimov)
>

> This looks like a pretty good collection, although anyone who
> had been an SFBC member for a while would likely already have all of
> these except for the Asimov and the McKenna.
>
> I wonder on average how long the SFBC keeps stuff in print?

In those days, several years at least (books were actually only listed
twice a year in the catalog). Ellen Asher, my semi-boss and fellow
editor, used to keep up a box of file cards, listing various stories and
what anthologies they had appeared in. The reader's reports of that era
also have a fair deal of agonizing about the subject, i.e. "this is a
great book, but we have 2 of the ten stories in _Hugo Winners_ and one
more in _Nebula Stories # whatever_ -- can we do this one or will the
members get angry?"

--
Andrew Wheeler

James Nicoll

Mar 21, 2003, 2:56:49 PM3/21/03
In article <slrnb7ku3k....@lennier.chuckbri.org>,

Chuck Bridgeland <chuckbri at computerdyn dot com> wrote:
>On 20 Mar 2003 12:55:03 -0500, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <slrnb7jgqa....@lennier.chuckbri.org>,
>> Chuck Bridgeland <chuckbri at computerdyn dot com> wrote:

>>>Starts with some guy who's been in prison since the US Civil War. Wanders
>>>on kind of incomprensibly into world catastrophy.
> >
>> I thought that was _The Long Twilight_?
>

>Maybe I misremember. It's been something like 25 years since I read it,
>once.
>
>Wasn't _House in November_ serialized in _IF_?

I am not sure.

David Goldfarb

Mar 22, 2003, 9:08:48 AM3/22/03
In article <9d67e55e.03032...@posting.google.com>,

David Tate <dt...@ida.org> wrote:
>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in message news:<b5bf4k$ltc$1...@panix3.panix.com>...
>> Slow Sculpture
>
>Nebula winner about a typical Sturgeon obsessed superscientist hermit,
>and the girl who makes him human again. Not the very best Sturgeon,
>but darn good.

Hugo winner as well.

--
David Goldfarb <*>|
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | "Justice or immortality. An intriguing choice."

Luna

Mar 22, 2003, 11:28:44 AM3/22/03
In article <b5hqpg$sfs$1...@agate.berkeley.edu>,
gold...@OCF.Berkeley.EDU (David Goldfarb) wrote:

> In article <9d67e55e.03032...@posting.google.com>,
> David Tate <dt...@ida.org> wrote:
> >jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote in message
> >> Slow Sculpture
> >
> >Nebula winner about a typical Sturgeon obsessed superscientist hermit,
> >and the girl who makes him human again. Not the very best Sturgeon,
> >but darn good.
>
> Hugo winner as well.

That is one of my 10 favorite sf short stories, or it would be if I ever
made a list.

Mike Van Pelt

Mar 23, 2003, 4:53:14 AM3/23/03
In article <86isuek...@amonduul.ecn.ou.edu>,

rmtodd <rmt...@amonduul.ecn.ou.edu> wrote:
>jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) writes:
>
>> August WHERE DO WE GO FROM HERE? Edited by Isaac Asimov
>
>> Contents:
>
>> Introduction (Isaac Asimov)
>> A Martian Odyssey (Stanley G. Weinbaum)
>> Night (John W. Campbell)
>> The Day is Done (Lester del Rey)
>> Heavy Planet (Milton Rothman)
>> "--And He Built a Crooked House" (Robert A. Heinlein)
>> Proof (Hal Clement)
>> A Subway Named Mobius (A.J. Deutsch)
>> Surface Tension (James Blish)
>> Country Doctor (William Morrison)
>> The Holes Around Mars (Jerome Bixby)
>> The Deep Range (Arthur C. Clarke)
>> The Cave of Night (James E. Gunn)
>> Dust Rag (Hal Clement)
>> Pate de Foie Gras (Isaac Asimov)
>> Omnilingual (H. Beam Piper)
>> The Big Bounce (Walter Tevis)
>> Neutron Star (Larry Niven)
>
>I remember this collection fondly; it was the first SF anthology I ever read.

The interesting thing about this collection is every story was a
jumping off point for Asimov to talk about the science in the
story, and how well the story matched the reality.

(Or not, as the case may be...)

--
The only meaningful memorial, the only one that will really count, will be when there are streets, tunnels, living and working quarters named after each of those astronauts--and those who will yet die in this effort--in permanently occupied stations on the moon, on Mars, in the asteroid belt, and beyond.
-- Bruce F. Webster

Martin Wisse

Mar 24, 2003, 3:39:15 PM3/24/03
On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 20:26:43 -0600, Chuck Bridgeland
<chuc...@computerdyn.com> wrote:

>On 20 Mar 2003 12:55:03 -0500, James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>> In article <slrnb7jgqa....@lennier.chuckbri.org>,
>> Chuck Bridgeland <chuckbri at computerdyn dot com> wrote:

>>>Starts with some guy who's been in prison since the US Civil War. Wanders
>>>on kind of incomprensibly into world catastrophy.
> >
>> I thought that was _The Long Twilight_?
>

>Maybe I misremember. It's been something like 25 years since I read it,
>once.

It is _The Long Twilight_. IIRC _The House in November_ is about an
alien invasion of some sort.

Martin Wisse
--
Space Opera. It's not over until the fat lady explosively
decompresses...

Rus Wornom

Aug 25, 2022, 9:07:49 PM8/25/22
On Wednesday, March 19, 2003 at 11:13:08 PM UTC-5, James Nicoll wrote:
> [...]
>
> THE RUINS OF EARTH edited by Thomas M. Disch
> Contents:
> On Saving the World (Thomas Disch)
> Deer in the Works (Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.)
> Three Million Square Miles (Gene Wolfe)
> Closing with Nature (Norman Rush)
> The Plot to Save the World (Michael Brownstein)
> Autofac (Philip K. Dick)
> Roommates (Harry Harrison)
> Groaning Hinges of the World (R.A. Lafferty)
> Gas Mask (James D. Houston)
> Wednesday, November 15, 1967 (George Alec Effinger)
> The Cage of Sand (J.G. Ballard)
> Accident Vertigo (Kenward Elmslie)
> The Birds (Daphne DeMaurier)
> Do It For Mama! (Jerrold J. Mundis)
> The Dreadful Has Already Happened (Norman Kagan)
> The Shaker Revival (Gerald Jonas)
> America the Beautiful (Fritz Leiber)
>
> Well, I know -of- "The Birds". Otherwise it seems to be a
> clean sweep, although I suspect these are not happy stories.

Rus Wornom

Aug 25, 2022, 9:10:35 PM8/25/22
Do you are anyone in this group know where (or if) I could find copies of the mailings that went out in the early '70s detailing the month's SFBC offerings? Pdfs would be great.

Thanks,
Rus

James Nicoll

Aug 25, 2022, 9:11:39 PM8/25/22

Was there any new material in this post?
In article <38f76b66-23fb-4500...@googlegroups.com>,

Moriarty

Aug 25, 2022, 9:27:07 PM8/25/22
On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 11:11:39 AM UTC+10, James Nicoll wrote:
> Was there any new material in this post?

No, but there was in a following one which I'll reproduce below:

"Do you are anyone in this group know where (or if) I could find copies of the mailings that went out in the early '70s detailing the month's SFBC offerings? Pdfs would be great.

Thanks,
Rus"

-Moriarty

James Nicoll

Aug 26, 2022, 9:39:29 AM8/26/22
In article <ed66a52f-8eee-4d24...@googlegroups.com>,
I looked in various archives and came up short. The inserts
can be found in old books but you'd need a packrat or achivist
for the mailouts.

Robert Woodward

Aug 26, 2022, 1:08:51 PM8/26/22
In article <teaiec$aq7$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:

> In article <ed66a52f-8eee-4d24...@googlegroups.com>,
> Moriarty <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:
> >On Friday, August 26, 2022 at 11:11:39 AM UTC+10, James Nicoll wrote:
> >> Was there any new material in this post?
> >
> >No, but there was in a following one which I'll reproduce below:
> >
> >"Do you are anyone in this group know where (or if) I could find
> >copies of the mailings that went out in the early '70s detailing
> >the month's SFBC offerings? Pdfs would be great.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Rus"
>
> I looked in various archives and came up short. The inserts
> can be found in old books but you'd need a packrat or achivist
> for the mailouts.

I happen to be a packrat, but I only go back to July 1975 (and I don't
have a scanner anyway)

ã-----------------------------------------------------
Robert Woodward robe...@drizzle.com

Robert Carnegie

Aug 26, 2022, 3:39:02 PM8/26/22
On Friday, 26 August 2022 at 18:08:51 UTC+1, Robert Woodward wrote:
> In article <teaiec$aq7$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
> jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) wrote:
>
> > In article <ed66a52f-8eee-4d24...@googlegroups.com>,
> > Moriarty <blu...@ivillage.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >No, but there was in a following one which I'll reproduce below:
> > >
> > >"Do you are anyone in this group know where (or if) I could find
> > >copies of the mailings that went out in the early '70s detailing
> > >the month's SFBC offerings? Pdfs would be great.
> > >
> > >Thanks,
> > >Rus"
> >
> > I looked in various archives and came up short. The inserts
> > can be found in old books but you'd need a packrat or achivist
> > for the mailouts.
> I happen to be a packrat, but I only go back to July 1975 (and I don't
> have a scanner anyway)

These days, a phone camera probably is enough.