BEER IN SF

veritas

Dec 21, 2009, 10:42:07 PM12/21/09

Any good stories that feature beer?

Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...

Kurt Busiek

Dec 21, 2009, 10:50:59 PM12/21/09
On 2009-12-21 19:42:07 -0800, veritas <verit...@gmail.com> said:

> Any good stories that feature beer?

As always, THE DRAWING OF THE DARK by Tim Powers.

kdb
--
Visit http://www.busiek.com -- for all your Busiek needs!

Kurt Busiek

Dec 21, 2009, 10:56:56 PM12/21/09
On 2009-12-21 19:50:59 -0800, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> said:

> On 2009-12-21 19:42:07 -0800, veritas <verit...@gmail.com> said:
>
>> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> As always, THE DRAWING OF THE DARK by Tim Powers.

And "The Proud Robot" by Henry Kuttner

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 21, 2009, 10:49:31 PM12/21/09
In article <bc706058-93d2-4b70...@a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Any good stories that feature beer?
>
>Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...

Poul Anderson, _The Makeshift Spacecraft_ (originally
serialized in Astounding as "A Bicycle Built for Brew").

There's Powers's _The Drawing of the Dark_, but I don't consider
that a good story. YMMV.

--
Dorothy J. Heydt
Vallejo, California

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dec 22, 2009, 1:29:49 AM12/22/09
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:56:56 -0800, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
wrote:

>On 2009-12-21 19:50:59 -0800, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com> said:
>
>> On 2009-12-21 19:42:07 -0800, veritas <verit...@gmail.com> said:
>>
>>> Any good stories that feature beer?
>>
>> As always, THE DRAWING OF THE DARK by Tim Powers.
>
>And "The Proud Robot" by Henry Kuttner

"That Doggone Vnorpt," by Nathan Archer.

I'm selling my comic collection -- see http://www.watt-evans.com/comics.html
I'm serializing a novel at http://www.watt-evans.com/realmsoflight0.html

Ryan McCoskrie

Dec 22, 2009, 2:16:54 AM12/22/09
veritas wrote:

> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...

One of my friends just said that the Paladin of Shadows
series has "Tiger Beer".

--
Quote of the login:
Either I'm dead or my watch has stopped. -- Groucho Marx's last words

David DeLaney

Dec 21, 2009, 11:31:26 PM12/21/09
veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>Any good stories that feature beer?

The Drawing of the Dark, by Powers?

(And you're a different veritas, right?)

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Sea Wasp (Ryk E. Spoor)

Dec 22, 2009, 6:20:16 AM12/22/09
David DeLaney wrote:
> veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> The Drawing of the Dark, by Powers?
>
> (And you're a different veritas, right?)
>
> Dave

Yes, he is. The other one could only be posting if someone's invented
an Ouija board interface.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Jack Bohn

Dec 22, 2009, 6:26:41 PM12/22/09
veritas wrote:

>Any good stories that feature beer?

Spider Robinson's Calahan's, Clarke's White Hart, and de Camp and
Pratt's Gavagan's feature your choice of poisons. I can't think
that any had beer fueling the stories, rather than merely
greasing the wheels.

--
-Jack

Anthony Nance

Dec 22, 2009, 7:57:47 AM12/22/09
veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...

How about a brewery and a tavern?:

Beer is prominent in all of Glen Cook's Garrett books - basically,
Garrett loves his beer. At least one of the books features Garrett
working a case for the patriarch of a big brewery, with several
scenes in the brewery itself. He's generally on retainer there,
but the brewery is far in the background in most of the books.

Zelazny's "Unicorn Variation" is a story about playing chess
against a unicorn in a tavern. Beer is the beverage of choice
there, and a number of characters drink it in the story.

Tony

BillGill

Dec 22, 2009, 9:13:33 AM12/22/09
veritas wrote:

> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...
Ok, this one is one I don't even remember who or where. I read them in
the pulps way back when. It was series of stories about a man who was
a genius when he was drunk. He could always figure out how to take care
of any problem. He had a robot that thought it was the greatest thing
around. He built it while he was drunk, and couldn't remember what it
was for. He had one problem, and that was the way beer always sprayed
when you punctured the top. The final story it turned out that the
robot was a beer can opener. It could open the can without the spray.
And then they announced they weren't going to put beer in cans any more.

Bill

Bill Snyder

Dec 22, 2009, 9:19:47 AM12/22/09
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 08:13:33 -0600, BillGill <bill...@cox.net>
wrote:

Henry Kuttner's tales of Galloway Gallagher (published originally
under the pen name of Lewis Padgett), collected in _Robots Have No
Tails_.

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank]

Chris

Dec 22, 2009, 9:37:07 AM12/22/09
On Dec 21, 10:42 pm, veritas <veritas....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...

Beer made an appearance in..._Memory_ I think it was, by Bujold. Miles
and Illyan go fishing and bring a few bottles of local, home brewed
beer with them. Miles gets a little tipsy and almost falls overboard.

Chris

James Nicoll

Dec 22, 2009, 9:51:07 AM12/22/09
In article <slrnhj120...@gatekeeper.vic.com>,

David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Any good stories that feature beer?
>
>The Drawing of the Dark, by Powers?
>
>(And you're a different veritas, right?)

The other veritas is dead.
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

Jim Smith

Dec 22, 2009, 9:49:18 AM12/22/09
In message
<bc706058-93d2-4b70...@a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
veritas <verit...@gmail.com> writes

>Any good stories that feature beer?

Robert Rankin, especially the Brentford trilogy.
--
Jim Smith

Szymon Sokół

Dec 22, 2009, 11:17:49 AM12/22/09

And in LOTR as well (the hobbits drinking at Green Dragon or Prancing Pony),
but if we want to mention *every* story in which beer is mentioned, this
thread will not end sooner than in a year. Even without drifting.

It would be more interesting if there were specific types or brands of beer
mentioned. Off hand, I can only recall the red Yarran beer that people in
"Killashandra" series were so fond of.
--
Szymon Sokół (SS316-RIPE) -- Network Manager B
Computer Center, AGH - University of Science and Technology, Cracow, Poland O

Kurt Busiek

Dec 22, 2009, 11:39:57 AM12/22/09

That's the already-mentioned "The Proud Robot" by Henry Kuttner, part
of the Galloway Gallagher series.

Well worth rereading.

Chris

Dec 22, 2009, 12:38:24 PM12/22/09
On Dec 22, 11:17 am, Szymon Sokół

<szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 06:37:07 -0800 (PST), Chris wrote:
> > On Dec 21, 10:42 pm, veritas <veritas....@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> >> Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...
>
> > Beer made an appearance in..._Memory_ I think it was, by Bujold. Miles
> > and Illyan go fishing and bring a few bottles of local, home brewed
> > beer with them. Miles gets a little tipsy and almost falls overboard.
>
> And in LOTR as well (the hobbits drinking at Green Dragon or Prancing Pony),
> but if we want to mention *every* story in which beer is mentioned, this
> thread will not end sooner than in a year. Even without drifting.
>
> It would be more interesting if there were specific types or brands of beer
> mentioned. Off hand, I can only recall the red Yarran beer that people in
> "Killashandra" series were so fond of.

Well, in one sense it works: Miles' discussion does touch on the
excellent nature of the home brew. Also, don't the Hobbits compare the
quality of beer at different pubs in the Shire? That's probably as
close as you'd get to types in that story.

Chris

> --
> Szymon Sokół (SS316-RIPE) -- Network Manager                                 B

> Computer Center, AGH - University of Science and Technology, Cracow, Poland  Ohttp://home.agh.edu.pl/szymon/PGP key id: RSA: 0x2ABE016B, DSS: 0xF9289982  F

BillGill

Dec 22, 2009, 12:48:31 PM12/22/09
Found it and dug it out. It is lying on my next pile.

Bill

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 22, 2009, 12:59:25 PM12/22/09
In article <6789c894-b4b8-4983...@u37g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>,

Chris <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Dec 22, 11:17 am, Szymon Sokół
><szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl> wrote:
>>
>> And in LOTR as well (the hobbits drinking at Green Dragon or Prancing Pony),
>> but if we want to mention *every* story in which beer is mentioned, this
>> thread will not end sooner than in a year. Even without drifting.
>>
>...Also, don't the Hobbits compare the

>quality of beer at different pubs in the Shire? That's probably as
>close as you'd get to types in that story.

Since each pub would brew its own beer, yes. The Golden Perch in
Stock, according to Pippin, has the best beer in the
Eastfarthing. But Farmer Maggott's homebrew (and he is also in
the Eastfarthing) is apparently just as good. There's also a
comment that the beer in the Prancing Pony was always good even
before Gandalf blessed it.

William George Ferguson

Dec 22, 2009, 1:49:19 PM12/22/09
On Mon, 21 Dec 2009 19:42:07 -0800 (PST), veritas <verit...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>Any good stories that feature beer?
>
>Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...

Beer figures on and off through most of the Riddlemaster trilogy (the first
chapter of the first book has Morgon and Elieu both very grumpy after
making sure that the beer was up to snuff for the trade ship's arrival
(grain, both in solid and concentrated liquid form, is Hed's primary cash
crop/export). Morgon likes beer and Readerle, well, doesn't.

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Robbie

Dec 22, 2009, 2:14:28 PM12/22/09

> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...

It's a YASID, but I remember a short story about a guy that pissed off a
leprechaun who lived in the water. The leprechaun cursed the guy, so
that he could not touch water. The guy had to buy an electric razor,
because he could not shave with water.

He also drank a lot of beer, because that was the only thing he could
drink under the curse. The guy ended up apologizing to the leprechaun by
wrapping sugar cubes in cellophane, so they wouldn't dissolve in the
lake where the leprechaun lived. This pleased the leprechaun, so he
lifted the curse.

Joseph Nebus

Dec 22, 2009, 2:47:26 PM12/22/09
Robbie <nob...@example.invalid> writes:

I *think* that Horace L Gold's ``Trouble With Water'', 1939.

--
Joseph Nebus

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 22, 2009, 2:45:09 PM12/22/09
In article <nobody-35A64C....@news.speakeasy.net>,

I don't know that one, but when I saw the subject line I was
reminded of the sequence in de Camp and Pratt's _Incomplete
Enchanter_ in which Harold Shea (stuck in one of those magic-
works universes), lacking sugar cubes, uses lumps of crystallized
honey. He uses charcoal or something to inscribe the runes C, H,
and O on the lumps, and sets them out in a pattern representing a
sugar molecule in the presence of (IIRC) some ripe peaches and
some water. He then recites (extempore!) a Spencerian stanza
ending, "Change then! for being water, ye cannot be worse," and
rapidly changes the sugar lumps around to represent CH3CH2OH.
Poof, alakazam, he generates a large amount of peach brandy.

Kurt Busiek

Dec 22, 2009, 3:11:15 PM12/22/09

That's it.

It can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/troublewithwater

William December Starr

Dec 22, 2009, 3:49:00 PM12/22/09
In article <9qp0j591plqm01lob...@news.eternal-september.org>,
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> said:

> "That Doggone Vnorpt," by Nathan Archer.

Oh, *that* hack. You should be ashamed to even admit that you
read him.

(Joke! It's a joke, okay?)

-- wds

William December Starr

Dec 22, 2009, 3:51:12 PM12/22/09
In article <hgqmcr$oej$1...@reader1.panix.com>,
jdni...@panix.com (James Nicoll) said:

> David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>
>> veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Any good stories that feature beer?
>>

>> [...]

>> (And you're a different veritas, right?)
>
> The other veritas is dead.

Yes: there was a war declared and he was the first casualty.

(because hey if you can't make dumb jokes about death, what _can_
you make them about?)

-- wds

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dec 22, 2009, 4:48:20 PM12/22/09
On 22 Dec 2009 15:49:00 -0500, wds...@panix.com (William December
Starr) wrote:

Hey, Nathan and I went to college together.

Taki Kogoma

Dec 22, 2009, 6:57:56 PM12/22/09
On 2009-12-22, Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com>
allegedly proclaimed to rec.arts.sf.written:>>On Dec 22, 11:17??am, Szymon Sok????

>><szy...@bastard.operator.from.hell.pl> wrote:
>>> And in LOTR as well (the hobbits drinking at Green Dragon or Prancing Pony),
>>> but if we want to mention *every* story in which beer is mentioned, this
>>> thread will not end sooner than in a year. Even without drifting.
>>
>>...Also, don't the Hobbits compare the
>>quality of beer at different pubs in the Shire? That's probably as
>>close as you'd get to types in that story.
>
> Since each pub would brew its own beer, yes. The Golden Perch in
> Stock, according to Pippin, has the best beer in the
> Eastfarthing. But Farmer Maggott's homebrew (and he is also in
> the Eastfarthing) is apparently just as good. There's also a
> comment that the beer in the Prancing Pony was always good even
> before Gandalf blessed it.

And the Barley crop of SR 1420 (after Sam's landscape reclaimation
project) is considered to have produced the finest beer in Shire
history.

--
Capt. Gym Z. Quirk (Known to some as Taki Kogoma) quirk @ swcp.com
Just an article detector on the Information Supercollider.

David DeLaney

Dec 22, 2009, 3:53:25 PM12/22/09
James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>David DeLaney <d...@vic.com> wrote:
>>veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>Any good stories that feature beer?
>>
>>The Drawing of the Dark, by Powers?
>>
>>(And you're a different veritas, right?)
>
> The other veritas is dead.

Just making _sure_.

Dave "a brand-new ser-vice / that lets you talk with the dead..." DeLaney

David DeLaney

Dec 22, 2009, 3:55:24 PM12/22/09
BillGill <bill...@cox.net> wrote:
>Kurt Busiek wrote:

>> BillGill <bill...@cox.net> said:
>>> Ok, this one is one I don't even remember who or where. I read them in
>>> the pulps way back when. It was series of stories about a man who was
>>> a genius when he was drunk. He could always figure out how to take care
>>> of any problem. He had a robot that thought it was the greatest thing
>>> around. He built it while he was drunk, and couldn't remember what it
>>> was for. He had one problem, and that was the way beer always sprayed
>>> when you punctured the top. The final story it turned out that the
>>> robot was a beer can opener. It could open the can without the spray.
>>> And then they announced they weren't going to put beer in cans any more.
>>
>> That's the already-mentioned "The Proud Robot" by Henry Kuttner, part of
>> the Galloway Gallagher series.
>>
>> Well worth rereading.

>Found it and dug it out. It is lying on my next pile.

Heh. We should have a subsidiary metric for the YASIDs, along with "time to
be answered correctly": "person with the book closest to hand in a to-be-read
pile".

Dave

David DeLaney

Dec 22, 2009, 3:57:06 PM12/22/09
Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
>>Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> said:
>>> "That Doggone Vnorpt," by Nathan Archer.
>>
>>Oh, *that* hack. You should be ashamed to even admit that you read him.
>>
>>(Joke! It's a joke, okay?)
>
>Hey, Nathan and I went to college together.

Wait, lemme guess - you roomed together too?

Juho Julkunen

Dec 22, 2009, 7:19:41 PM12/22/09
In article <gkf2j5928dmhnb06m...@news.eternal-
september.org>, Lawrence Watt-Evans (l...@sff.net) says...

> On 22 Dec 2009 15:49:00 -0500, wds...@panix.com (William December
> Starr) wrote:
>
> >In article <9qp0j591plqm01lob...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> >Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> said:
> >
> >> "That Doggone Vnorpt," by Nathan Archer.
> >
> >Oh, *that* hack. You should be ashamed to even admit that you
> >read him.
> >
> >(Joke! It's a joke, okay?)
>
> Hey, Nathan and I went to college together.

Were you close?

--
Juho Julkunen

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 22, 2009, 7:17:23 PM12/22/09
In article <slrnhj2n83...@chishio.swcp.com>,

Taki Kogoma <qu...@swcp.com> wrote:
>On 2009-12-22, Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com>
>allegedly proclaimed to rec.arts.sf.written:
>> In article
><6789c894-b4b8-4983...@u37g2000vbc.googlegroups.com>,
>> Chris <chris.li...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>...Also, don't the Hobbits compare the
>>>quality of beer at different pubs in the Shire? That's probably as
>>>close as you'd get to types in that story.
>>
>> Since each pub would brew its own beer, yes. The Golden Perch in
>> Stock, according to Pippin, has the best beer in the
>> Eastfarthing. But Farmer Maggott's homebrew (and he is also in
>> the Eastfarthing) is apparently just as good. There's also a
>> comment that the beer in the Prancing Pony was always good even
>> before Gandalf blessed it.
>
>And the Barley crop of SR 1420 (after Sam's landscape reclaimation
>project) is considered to have produced the finest beer in Shire
>history.

"Ah! That was proper fourteen-twenty, that was!"

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Dec 22, 2009, 11:24:17 PM12/22/09
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:57:06 -0500, d...@gatekeeper.vic.com (David
DeLaney) wrote:

>Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> wrote:
>>wds...@panix.com (William December Starr) wrote:
>>>
>>>Oh, *that* hack. You should be ashamed to even admit that you read him.
>>>
>>>(Joke! It's a joke, okay?)
>>
>>Hey, Nathan and I went to college together.
>
>Wait, lemme guess - you roomed together too?

Not officially.

Kay Shapero

Dec 23, 2009, 12:07:46 AM12/23/09

Just noticed this discussion. Anybody brought up Poul Anderson's "A
Bicycle Built for Brew" yet?
--
Kay Shapero
address munged, email kay at following domain

Dorothy J Heydt

Dec 23, 2009, 12:53:13 AM12/23/09
In article <MPG.259b455cd...@news.west.earthlink.net>,

Kay Shapero <k...@invalid.net> wrote:

>Just noticed this discussion. Anybody brought up Poul Anderson's "A
>Bicycle Built for Brew" yet?

I did, early on. A.k.a. "The Makeshift Spacecraft."

tkma...@yahoo.co.uk

Dec 23, 2009, 6:59:31 AM12/23/09

At least 4 Gallagher stories are online:

"The Proud Robot"
<http://henrykuttner.bravehost.com/Kuttner,%20Henry%20-%20The%20Proud%20Robot.html>

"Gallegher Plus"
<http://henrykuttner.bravehost.com/Kuttner,%20Henry%20-%20Gallegher%20Plus.html>

"Ex Machina"
<http://henrykuttner.bravehost.com/Kuttner,%20Henry%20-%20Ex%20Machina.html>

"The Ego Machine"
<http://henrykuttner.bravehost.com/Kuttner,%20Henry%20-%20The%20Ego%20Machine.html>

I've not read these online versions - so not sure if they're complete
(but they appear to be).

--
"McNear had responded to the inexplicable as people often do: he had
ignored its existence. An excellent way to maintain sanity."

Matt Hughes

Dec 23, 2009, 7:55:29 AM12/23/09
On 22 Dec, 03:42, veritas <veritas....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any good stories that feature beer?

Most Jack Vance picaresque tales feature inns where good ales are
served. And, usually, sausages.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com

Mike Schilling

Dec 23, 2009, 10:19:21 AM12/23/09
Lawrence Watt-Evans wrote:
> On 22 Dec 2009 15:49:00 -0500, wds...@panix.com (William December
> Starr) wrote:
>
>> In article
>> <9qp0j591plqm01lob...@news.eternal-september.org>,
>> Lawrence Watt-Evans <l...@sff.net> said:
>>
>>> "That Doggone Vnorpt," by Nathan Archer.
>>
>> Oh, *that* hack. You should be ashamed to even admit that you
>> read him.
>>
>> (Joke! It's a joke, okay?)
>
> Hey, Nathan and I went to college together.

And he used to copy off your homework.

Mike Schilling

Dec 23, 2009, 10:21:19 AM12/23/09
Matt Hughes wrote:
> On 22 Dec, 03:42, veritas <veritas....@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> Most Jack Vance picaresque tales feature inns where good ales are
> served. And, usually, sausages.

But once, shockingly, only barley water.

Robbie

Dec 23, 2009, 1:44:16 PM12/23/09
In article <hgr953$68g$1...@solani.org>, Kurt Busiek <ku...@busiek.com>
wrote:

Seconded (or thirded I guess). Thanks!

William Hyde

Dec 23, 2009, 5:30:13 PM12/23/09
On Dec 23, 10:21 am, "Mike Schilling" <mscottschill...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Occasionally there's an in where only something like a puree of locust
is served.

"Then this must be our fare".

William Hyde

Linda Taber

Dec 23, 2009, 11:33:11 PM12/23/09
On Dec 22, 8:37 am, Chris <chris.linthomp...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 21, 10:42 pm, veritas <veritas....@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Any good stories that feature beer?
>
> > Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...
>
> Beer made an appearance in..._Memory_ I think it was, by Bujold. Miles
> and Illyan go fishing and bring a few bottles of local, home brewed
> beer with them. Miles gets a little tipsy and almost falls overboard.
>
> Chris

Does Maple Mead count?

Doug

Matt Hughes

Dec 24, 2009, 12:47:11 PM12/24/09
On 23 Dec, 22:30, William Hyde <wthyde1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Occasionally there's an in where only something like a puree of locust
> is served.

I understand locusts taste rather like shrimp, so a locust puree would
be something like a prawn chowder. Not completely unappetizing.

I think I'll make it a practice to eat more unconventional foods. I
used to, when I was young. Beaver tail was quite nice. Bear was like
gamey beef. Got fed up with moose twice a day, though.

Matt Hughes
http://www.archonate.com

John Pelan

Dec 24, 2009, 2:41:32 PM12/24/09
I am amazed that no one has made mention of Neil Gaiman's "Shoggoth's
Old Peculiar"...

Hmmm... Locust puree... Would be awfully easy to capture the
ingredients here in NM, might just have to give it a try. ;-)

Bill Snyder

Jan 2, 2010, 11:34:25 AM1/2/10

Having belatedly checked those out, I can report that "The Ego
Machine" is *not* a Gallagher story.

--
Bill Snyder [This space unintentionally left blank]

netcat

Jan 4, 2010, 8:56:32 AM1/4/10
In article <Kv1By...@kithrup.com>, djh...@kithrup.com says...
> In article <bc706058-93d2-4b70...@a32g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

> veritas <verit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> >Any good stories that feature beer?
> >
> >Big fire at the Guinness Brewery in Dublin today...
>
> Poul Anderson, _The Makeshift Spacecraft_ (originally
> serialized in Astounding as "A Bicycle Built for Brew").
>
> There's Powers's _The Drawing of the Dark_, but I don't consider
> that a good story. YMMV.

Simak's _The Goblin Reservation_.

rgds,
netcat

Mike Stone

Jan 4, 2010, 5:28:23 PM1/4/10
Poul Anderson's _A Bicycle Built For Brew_ which came out in book form under
the frightfully unimaginative title _The Makeshift Rocket_

--

Mike Stone - Peterborough, England

"Freddie experienced the sort of abysmal soul-sadness which afflicts one of
Tolstoy's Russian peasants when, after putting in a heavy day's work
strangling his father, beating his wife, and dropping the baby in the
reservoir, he turns to the cupboard only to find the vodka bottle empty".

P G Wodehouse - Jill the Reckless

"netcat" <net...@devnull.eridani.eol.ee> wrote in message

Tim McDaniel

Jan 6, 2010, 7:05:58 PM1/6/10
In article <Kv2K7...@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>I don't know that one, but when I saw the subject line I was
>reminded of the sequence in de Camp and Pratt's _Incomplete
>Enchanter_ ...
>He then recites (extempore!) a Spencerian stanza
>ending, "Change then! for being water, ye cannot be worse," and
>rapidly changes the sugar lumps around to represent CH3CH2OH.
>Poof, alakazam, he generates a large amount of peach brandy.
^r XXXXXXXX^ alakohol

--
Tim McDaniel, tm...@panix.com