source of gibson quote?

1 view

Molly Moloney

Feb 16, 2004, 3:38:45 PM2/16/04
Does anyone know the source of the William Gibson quote: "The future
is always here, it's just unevenly distributed." It doesn't appear to
be from _Neuromancer_ and some quick googling finds lots of references
to it but none actually citing its source.

Thanks!

--
Molly Moloney
http://moloney.blogspot.com

bigboard

Feb 17, 2004, 5:01:35 AM2/17/04
Molly Moloney wrote:
> Does anyone know the source of the William Gibson quote: "The future
> is always here, it's just unevenly distributed." It doesn't appear to
> be from _Neuromancer_ and some quick googling finds lots of references
> to it but none actually citing its source.
>
> Thanks!

I think it's rather more modern than the sprawl series. I would guess
during the past five years. I'm also fairly sure he said it in an
interview rather than in his written work. Sorry I can't be any more help.

Ron Henry

Feb 17, 2004, 9:03:21 AM2/17/04
"Molly Moloney" <moll...@cox.net> wrote in message

> Does anyone know the source of the William Gibson quote: "The future
> is always here, it's just unevenly distributed." It doesn't appear to
> be from _Neuromancer_ and some quick googling finds lots of references
> to it but none actually citing its source.

Googling reveals that this blog http://www.mind-breeze.com/weblog/ (19
Jan 04 entry) gives the cite as:

"The future is already here --
it’s just unevenly distributed.". William Gibson, Economist, June 23,
2000

Ron Henry

Molly Moloney

Feb 17, 2004, 4:08:43 PM2/17/04

"Ron Henry" <ronh...@blahblahblah.clarityconnectcom> wrote in message

Thanks. Unfortunately, it appears that there is no June 23 2000 issue
of the Economist and doing a search of the Economist's archives turned
up to references to the quote in other issues, but both were of the
second-hand variety ("as science fiction writer William Gibson has
been quoted as saying . . .")

David Silberstein

Feb 18, 2004, 2:30:19 AM2/18/04
In article <ApvYb.1250$7k3.858@fed1read01>,

Molly Moloney <moll...@cox.net> wrote:

>> "The future is already here -- it's just unevenly distributed.".
>> -- William Gibson, Economist, June 23, 2000

>Thanks. Unfortunately, it appears that there is no June 23 2000 issue
>of the Economist and doing a search of the Economist's archives turned
>up to references to the quote in other issues, but both were of the
>second-hand variety ("as science fiction writer William Gibson has
>been quoted as saying . . .")

Ah, but I note that the earliest issue that has it is June 23, 2001.

Is it possible that the first person citing the Economist quote
got the last digit of the year wrong, and the error just spread
as the quote+cite was copied?

Of course, that doesn't answer the question of when he actually
said the words...

David Silberstein

Feb 18, 2004, 3:09:10 AM2/18/04
In article <tT9Yb.62$o52.31@fed1read02>,
Molly Moloney <moll...@cox.net> wrote:

>Does anyone know the source of the William Gibson quote: "The future
>is always here, it's just unevenly distributed." It doesn't appear to
>be from _Neuromancer_ and some quick googling finds lots of references
>to it but none actually citing its source.

I just searched Infotrac, and it has earlier cites than the
Economist. But they appears to be quoting something else, which
Infotrac may not have in its holdings:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tooling & Production, April 1999 v65 i1 p64

Science fiction writer William Gibson says the future
has already arrived, just in an unevenly distributed
fashion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Forbes, March 8, 1999 v163 i5 p98(1)

The future is already here. It's just unevenly distributed."

This sentiment, cribbed from science fiction writer William Gibson,
is both dogma and sales slogan at Andersen Consulting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Digital Media, April 1997 v6 n9 p3(7)

But what we hope you take from this article is
that the future is arriving all the time and,
as author William Gibson likes to say, these
products of the future simply are not widely
distributed. That's how life has always been--
the future is never evenly distributed, but
you can count on more of it all the time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Computer Dealer News, Jan 27, 1997 v13 n2 p38(2)

The overall theme of the address was perhaps best
summarized by Gerrard's quotation of Canadian
science fiction writer William Gibson: "The future
is already here. It just hasn't been evenly
distributed yet."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Newsbytes, Jan 9, 1997 pNEW01090005

However, one of the key issues that Jon Gerrard, secretary
of state for science, research, and development, raised in
his afternoon keynote speech was access. He quoted William
Gibson, the Canadian science fiction author credited with
coining the term "cyberspace," who said that "the future is
already here. It just hasn't been evenly distributed yet."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

U.S. News & World Report, May 27, 1996 v120 n21 p62(4)

Or, as cyberpunk novelist William Gibson is often quoted as
saying, "The future has arrived; it's just not evenly
distributed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Corporate Cashflow Magazine, April 1996 v17 n5 p30(2)

As novelist William Gibson has remarked,
"The future has already arrived--it's
just not evenly distributed yet."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm too tired to keep searching through the rest of the 84
citations that my search brought up on
'"william gibson" AND future AND distributed'

Zzz. Must sleep. That's MY future.

David Silberstein

Feb 18, 2004, 3:11:10 AM2/18/04
In article <tT9Yb.62$o52.31@fed1read02>,
Molly Moloney <moll...@cox.net> wrote:
>Does anyone know the source of the William Gibson quote: "The future
>is always here, it's just unevenly distributed." It doesn't appear to
>be from _Neuromancer_ and some quick googling finds lots of references
>to it but none actually citing its source.

You know, you could always just *ask* him, directly.

http://www.williamgibsonbooks.com/

Dave Goldman

Feb 19, 2004, 3:09:36 AM2/19/04
In article <Ht9tB...@kithrup.com>, David Silberstein
<davids_aat_k...@foilspam.invalid> wrote:

> In article <tT9Yb.62$o52.31@fed1read02>,
> Molly Moloney <moll...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> >Does anyone know the source of the William Gibson quote: "The future
> >is always here, it's just unevenly distributed." It doesn't appear to
> >be from _Neuromancer_ and some quick googling finds lots of references
> >to it but none actually citing its source.

A possible lead (or equally possibly a mislead):

"The future is already here; it's just unevenly distributed."
William Gibson, National Public Radio interview.  In the same
broadcast (paraphrased from memory): "The science fiction
genre is like a pair of oven mitts we use to examine truths
about our culture that are otherwise too hot for us to handle."

-- <http://www.greenshade.com/psairships.html> Copyright 2000

A search for "William Gibson" on NPR's site:

<http://search1.npr.org/search97cgi/s97_cgi?CleanQuery=william+gibson&ResultTemplate=allow_re_sort.hts&SortSpec=Date+Desc+Score+Desc&ViewTemplate=docview.hts&collection=ALL02&Action=FilterSearch&filter=topic_filter.NEW.hts&QueryText=&x=0&y=0>

returns a 1993 interview on "Fresh Air" and a "Talk of the Nation" session
from 1999.

It looks like somebody who's really curious about this could download the
respective transcripts for $4.95 each.

- Dave Goldman
Portland, OR

David Silberstein

Feb 19, 2004, 7:06:46 PM2/19/04
In article <dave-19020...@67.136.137.83>,

Dave Goldman <da...@remove-this-bit-ResearchSoftwareDesign.com> wrote:
>In article <Ht9tB...@kithrup.com>, David Silberstein
><davids_aat_k...@foilspam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> In article <tT9Yb.62$o52.31@fed1read02>,
>> Molly Moloney <moll...@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> >Does anyone know the source of the William Gibson quote: "The future
>> >is always here, it's just unevenly distributed." It doesn't appear to
>> >be from _Neuromancer_ and some quick googling finds lots of references
>> >to it but none actually citing its source.
>
>A possible lead (or equally possibly a mislead):
>
>"The future is already here; it's just unevenly distributed."
>William Gibson, National Public Radio interview.  In the same
>broadcast (paraphrased from memory): "The science fiction
>genre is like a pair of oven mitts we use to examine truths
>about our culture that are otherwise too hot for us to handle."
>
> -- <http://www.greenshade.com/psairships.html> Copyright 2000
>

>A search for "William Gibson" on NPR's site:

[snip long URL]

>returns a 1993 interview on "Fresh Air" and a "Talk of the Nation" session
>from 1999.

Since the quote was being used before 1999, I'd bet on the 1993
interview. Fresh Air has its own website; searching for Gibson
gives:

http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=08/31/1993

But as it turns out, I (might) be wrong:

William Gibson:
"As I've said many times: the future is already here;
it's just not very evenly distributed."

NPR
Talk of the Nation
Time code: 11 min 55 seconds
Link: http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1067220

( found on:
<http://aoir.org/pipermail/air-l/2004-February/005385.html> )

Obviously, he is repeating himself.

>It looks like somebody who's really curious about this could download the
>respective transcripts for $4.95 each.

The following might work if pasted into Realplayer, but Realplayer
is currently playing silly buggers on my machine, so I can't be sure:

pnm://audio.npr.org/totn/19991130.totn.ra

David Silberstein

Feb 19, 2004, 8:42:59 PM2/19/04
In article <HtCwB...@kithrup.com>,
David Silberstein <davids_aat_k...@foilspam.invalid> wrote:

> William Gibson:
> "As I've said many times: the future is already here;
> it's just not very evenly distributed."
>
> NPR
> Talk of the Nation
> Time code: 11 min 55 seconds
> Link: http://discover.npr.org/features/feature.jhtml?wfId=1067220

>The following might work if pasted into Realplayer, but Realplayer
>is currently playing silly buggers on my machine, so I can't be sure:
>
> pnm://audio.npr.org/totn/19991130.totn.ra

I have finally convinced Realplayer to behave, and the above link
does indeed work when pasted in. The following also works, but
is designed to only play the minute and a half where he says the
words in the surrounding context (that is, it includes the question
asked, and goes until the intreviewer asks someone else a question):

pnm://audio.npr.org/totn/19991130.totn.ra?start=11:11&end=12:51