Free sf/fsntasy Books, Sliver Four

Otzchiim

Jul 8, 2009, 3:22:34 PM7/8/09
Below is the fourth installment of a listing of books available
for free download from Gutenberg or Archive.com which are also listed
in the 1978 Bleiler Checklist. Content codes there are omitted (great
system, but hard to explain in less than a page) but collections are
marked with a C unless obvious. I hope to do this once a week; my list
is finished.
I hope you feel adventurous and read some of these.

Breton, Frederic – The Black Mass (1897)
Brooks, Byron A. – Earth Revisited (1893)
Broughton, Rhoda – Tales for Christmas Eve/Twilight Stories (1873)
Brown, Alice – The Flying Teuton & Other Stories (1918)
Fools of Nature (1887)
The Wind between the Worlds (1920)
Brown, Brian, ed. – Chinese Nights Entertainments (1922)
Brown, Charles Brockden – Wieland (1798)
Brown, Ritter – When Dreams Come True (1912)
Brunt, Samuel – A Voyage to Cacklogallinina (1727)
Bryce, Lloyd S. – A Dream of Conquest (1890)
Buchan, John – Grey Weather (1899) C
The Moon Endureth (1912) C
The Watcher by the Threshold & Other Tales (1902)
Buckrose, J.E. (Annie E. Jameson) – Young Hearts (1920)
Bullett, Gerald W. – The Street of the Eye (1923) C
Bullock, Shan F. – The Red Leaguers (1904)
Bulwer-Lytton, Edward-- The Coming Race (1871)
Godolphin (1833)
The Haunted & the Haunters (1860)
A Strange Story (1861)
Zanoni (1842)
Burgess, Gelett – Lady Mechante (1909)
The White Cat (1907)
Burnett, Frances Hodgson – The Land of the Blue Flower (1909)
The White People (1917)
Burr, Amelia J. – The Three Fires (1922)
Burroughs, Edgar R ice – At the Earth's Core (1922)
The Beasts of Tarzan (1916)
The Chessmen of Mars (1922)
The Gods of Mars (1918)
Jungle Tales of Tarzan (1919)
The Land That Time Forgot (1924)
The Monster Men (1929)
The Mucker (1921)
Pellucidar (1923)
A Princess of Mars (1917)
The Return of Tarzan (1915)
The Son of Tarzan (1917)
Tarzan and the Jewels of Opar (1918)
Tarzan of the Apes (1914)
Tarzan the Terrible (1921)
Tarzan the Untamed (1920)
Thuvia, Maid of Mars (1920)
The Warlord of Mars (1919)
Burton, Richard, tr. – Vikram and the Vampire (1870)
Butler, Samuel – Erewhon (1872)
Erewhon Revisited (1901)
Bynner, Edwin L. – The Chase of the Meteor & Other Stories (1891)
Byron, Lord George Gordon – Mazeppa (1819)
Cabell, James Branch – The Cream of the Jest (1917)
Figures of Earth (1921)
Jurgen (1919)
Cable, George W. – Strange True Stories of Louisiana (1889)
Caine, Hall – The Eternal City (1901)
Cannan, Gilbert – Windmills (1915) C
Canton, William – The Invisible Playmate (1894)
Capek, Karel – The Absolute at Large (1927)
Capes, Bernard – At a Winter's Fire (1899) C
Bag and Baggage (1913) C
Carleton, William – The Evil Eye (1860)
Carling, John – The Viking's Skull (1903)
Carlyle, Thomas, ed. – German Romance (1827)
Caryl, Charles W. – The New Era (1896)

tkma...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 11, 2009, 7:59:10 AM7/11/09
Otzchiim wrote:
> Below is the fourth installment of a listing of books available
> for free download from Gutenberg or Archive.com which are also listed
> in the 1978 Bleiler Checklist. Content codes there are omitted (great
> system, but hard to explain in less than a page) but collections are
> marked with a C unless obvious. I hope to do this once a week; my list
> is finished.
> I hope you feel adventurous and read some of these.

> Capek, Karel � The Absolute at Large (1927)
This doesn't appear to be at either PG or IA. Google search leads to a
Google Books preview but that is limited access - to only some pages.
Can you post its link, if you have one.

A decorated version of your list, with download links except for above
story, is here:
<http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-fiction-from-bleiler-checklist_10.html>

--
"George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little
mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at

Otzchiim

Jul 11, 2009, 3:34:50 PM7/11/09
On Jul 11, 7:59 am, tkmail...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Otzchiim wrote:
> >     Below is the fourth installment of a listing of books available
> > for free download from Gutenberg or Archive.com which are also listed
> > in the 1978 Bleiler Checklist.  Content codes there are omitted (great
> > system, but hard to explain in less than a page) but collections are
> > marked with a C unless obvious. I hope to do this once a week; my list
> > is finished.
> >      I hope you feel adventurous and read some of these.
> > Capek, Karel – The Absolute at Large (1927)

> This doesn't appear to be at either PG or IA. Google search leads to a
> Google Books preview but that is limited access - to only some pages.
> Can you post its link, if you have one.
>
> A decorated version of your list, with download links except for above
> story, is here:
> <http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2009/07/free-fiction-from-bleiler-chec...>

> --
> "George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little
> mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at
> all times. It was tuned to a government transmitter. Every twenty
> seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep
> people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains."
> - "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut
> <http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2009/06/kurt-vonnegut-harrison-bergero...>

The link on archive.org is www.archive.org/details.TheAbsoluteatLarge.
Unfortunately, it all seems to be HTML pages -- I did not investigate
that one or I might have left it off.

You mention in your amplification that the Bleiler is not online. No,
and it probably will never be. I asked him once about reissuing it,
and he said that he is planning to update it and print a new edition
one of these days -- he is in his 80s, or maybe 90s by now.
Mark
Owings

tkma...@yahoo.co.uk

Jul 11, 2009, 3:57:40 PM7/11/09
Otzchiim wrote:
> The link on archive.org is
> www.archive.org/details.TheAbsoluteatLarge.
> Unfortunately, it all seems to be HTML pages -- I did not investigate
> that one or I might have left it off.

I wonder if access to this page is country restricted, like some Google
Book scans are. All I get is "We�re sorry, the page you have requested
is not available."

--
"George, while his intelligence was way above normal, had a little
mental handicap radio in his ear. He was required by law to wear it at
all times. It was tuned to a government transmitter. Every twenty
seconds or so, the transmitter would send out some sharp noise to keep
people like George from taking unfair advantage of their brains."
- "Harrison Bergeron" by Kurt Vonnegut

<http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2009/06/kurt-vonnegut-harrison-bergeron-short.html>

garabik-ne...@kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk

Jul 12, 2009, 5:35:11 AM7/12/09
In rec.arts.sf.written tkma...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Otzchiim wrote:
>
>> Capek, Karel – The Absolute at Large (1927)

> This doesn't appear to be at either PG or IA. Google search leads to a
> Google Books preview but that is limited access - to only some pages.
> Can you post its link, if you have one.

FWIW, since it entered public domain the last year, the original version
(along with all the published Karel Čapek's works) is available at
http://www.mlp.cz/capek_bibliografie.htm

| Radovan Garabík http://kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk/~garabik/ |
| __..--^^^--..__ garabik @ kassiopeia.juls.savba.sk |