Science Fiction: the Best of the Year 2008 ?

robo

Jun 14, 2008, 6:57:32 AM6/14/08
Does anyone know what stories will be included in this forthcoming
anthology?

Thanks in Advance,

Robo

Dan Goodman

Jun 14, 2008, 9:59:51 AM6/14/08
robo wrote:

There are two or three such books -- which one are you talking about?

--
Dan Goodman
"I have always depended on the kindness of stranglers."

W. Citoan

Jun 14, 2008, 11:27:52 AM6/14/08
Dan Goodman wrote:

> robo wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what stories will be included in this forthcoming
> > anthology?
>
> There are two or three such books -- which one are you talking about?

I'd wager he means the one with the title he gave (see subject line)...

Rich Horton's webpage for the series doesn't list the contents yet:
http://www.sff.net/people/richard.Horton/mybooks.htm

Amazon has a picture of the cover which lists Egan, MacLeod, and Landis.
However, the 2007 cover lists Haldeman, Reynolds, and Swanwick and there
was not a single story by any of them in it. I was rather irritated by
that...

- W. Citoan
--
One makes discoveries if he can and not merely through the wish to make
them.

tkma...@yahoo.co.uk

Jun 14, 2008, 3:39:23 PM6/14/08
W. Citoan wrote:
> Dan Goodman wrote:
>> robo wrote:
>>
>>> Does anyone know what stories will be included in this forthcoming
>>> anthology?
>> There are two or three such books -- which one are you talking about?
>
> I'd wager he means the one with the title he gave (see subject line)...
>
> Rich Horton's webpage for the series doesn't list the contents yet:
> http://www.sff.net/people/richard.Horton/mybooks.htm
>
> Amazon has a picture of the cover which lists Egan, MacLeod, and Landis.
> However, the 2007 cover lists Haldeman, Reynolds, and Swanwick and there
> was not a single story by any of them in it. I was rather irritated by
> that...
>
> - W. Citoan

ToCs of 3 well known Best of Year (2008) anthologies - stories published
in 2007:

a. Dozois' #25:
He originally posted ToC at:
<http://www.asimovs.com/discus/messages/2/8855.html?1200182079>
But this page no longer loads. At least not right now. An alternate
copy, with very brief commentary on about half the stories, plus
download links for stories that are online:
<http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2008/03/gardner-dozois-ed-years-best-science.html>

b. Hartwell/Cramer #13:
<http://www.kathryncramer.com/kathryn_cramer/2008/02/years-best-sf-1.html>

Annotated with very brief commentary on about a quarter of stories, plus
download links for some of the stories that are online:
<http://variety-sf.blogspot.com/2008/05/david-hartwell-kathryn-cramer-ed-years.html>

c. Horton's two volumes - Sci fi & fantasy: His original post was at
Asimov's Board, but I don't have URL. Here is the URL I saved (someone's
copy):
<http://www.johnjosephadams.com/?p=1414>

--
"Few people ... realise the huge isolation of the solar system. The sun
with its specks of planets, its dust of planetoids, and its impalpable

W. Citoan

Jun 14, 2008, 4:10:17 PM6/14/08
tkma...@yahoo.co.uk wrote:

> ToCs of 3 well known Best of Year (2008) anthologies - stories published
> in 2007:

Yes, but only Horton's is actually titled "Science Fiction: the Best of
the Year"...

Rich Horton

Jun 14, 2008, 5:13:38 PM6/14/08
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:57:32 -0400, "robo" <digit...@prodigy.net>
wrote:

I really should have posted this here before. Here's the planned TOCs
for all three of the books I had originally intended to do this year.
Alas, the SPACE OPERA book has been cancelled. The other two should be
out in a month or two.

Any comments on the stories (and the ones I SHOULD have included!) are
very welcome of course!

SCIENCE FICTION: THE BEST OF THE YEAR 2008

Greg Egan, "Dark Integers" (Asimov's, 10-11/07)
Bruce Sterling, "A Plain Tale From Our Hills" (Subterranean, Spring)
Charles Coleman Finlay, "An Eye for an Eye" (F&SF,June)
Karen Joy Fowler, "Always" (Asimov's, April-May)
John Barnes, "An Ocean is a Snowflake, Four Billion Miles Away"
(Baen's Universe, 8/07)
Ekaterina Sedia, "Virus Changes Skin" (Analog, October)
Paul Di Filippo, "Wikiworld" (Fast Forward 1)
Tim Pratt, "Artifice and Intelligence" (Strange Horizons, 8/6/07)
Ken MacLeod, "Jesus Christ, Reanimator" (Fast Forward 1)
Robert Reed, "Night Calls" (Asimov's, 10-11/07)
Jack Skillingstead, "Everyone Bleeds Through"(Realms of Fantasy,
October)
Nancy Kress, "Art of War" (The New Space Opera)
Holly Phillips, "Three Days of Rain" (Asimov's,June)
Alexander Jablokov, "Brain Raid" (F&SF, February)
Mary Robinette Kowal, "For Solo Cello, Op. 12" (Cosmos, Feb/Mar)
Will McIntosh, "Perfect Violet" (On Spec, Summer)
Geoffrey Landis, "Vectoring" (Analog, 6/07)
Michael Swanwick, "The Skysailor's Tale" (The Dog Said Bow-Wow)

FANTASY: THE BEST OF THE YEAR 2008

Daryl Gregory, "Unpossible" (F&SF, October/November)
Kelly Link, "Light" (Tin House, Fall)
Zoran Zivkovic, "The Teashop", (12 Collections and the Teashop)
Noreen Doyle, "The Rope" (Realms of Fantasy, April)
William Alexander, "Buttons", (Zahir, Summer/07)
Holly Phillips, "Brother of the Moon", (Fantasy)
Andy Duncan, "A Diorama of the Infernal Regions", (Wizards)
Rachel Swirsky, "Heartstrung", (Interzone, 6/07)
Daniel Abraham, "The Cambist and Lord Iron" (Logorrhea)
Carrie Laben, "Something in the Mermaid Way" (Clarkesworld, March)
Matthew Johnson, "Public Safety" (Asimov's, 3/07)
Benjamin Rosenbaum and David Ackert, "Stray" (F&SF, December)
Marly Youmans, "The Comb" (Fantasy, December)
Garth Nix, "Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz Go to War Again" (Baen's
Universe, 4/07)
Karen Joy Fowler, "The Last Worders", (Lady Churchill's Rosebud
Wristlet, 6/07)
Theodora Goss, "Singing of Mount Abora" (Logorrhea)
David Barr Kirtley, "Save Me Plz" (Realms of Fantasy, October)
Erik Amundsen, "Bufo Rex" (Weird Tales)
Ian R. MacLeod, "The Master Miller's Tale" (F&SF, May)

Space Opera: 2008 Edition [CANCELLED]

David Moles, "Finisterra" (F&SF, December) 12900
John Scalzi, "Pluto Tells All" (Subterranean, Spring) 1500
Richard A. Lovett, "The Sands of Titan", (Analog, 6/07) 17500
Ken MacLeod, "Who's Afraid of Wolf 359" (The New Space Opera) 5200
Charles Stross, "Trunk and Disorderly" (Asimov's, January) 16200
Gareth Powell, "Six Lights Off Green Scar" (Infinity Plus) 7100
Jayme Lynn Blaschke, "The Final Voyage of La Riaza" (Interzone, June)
8500
C. W. Johnson, "Icarus Beach" (Analog, December) 13700
Robert Reed, "The Caldera of Good Fortune" (Asimov's, Oct/Nov) 11000
Jay Lake, "The Fly and Die Ticket", (Subterranean, Fall) 3700
Dan Simmons, "Muse of Fire" (The New Space Opera) 28500

Sea Wasp

Jun 14, 2008, 6:29:59 PM6/14/08
Rich Horton wrote:
> On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 06:57:32 -0400, "robo" <digit...@prodigy.net>
> wrote:
>

>>Does anyone know what stories will be included in this forthcoming
>>anthology?
>>
>>Thanks in Advance,
>>
>>Robo
>>

> I really should have posted this here before. Here's the planned TOCs
> for all three of the books I had originally intended to do this year.
> Alas, the SPACE OPERA book has been cancelled.

I hope this does not reflect no market for space opera, as the book I
have just sold to Baen is space opera.

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

Rich Horton

Jun 14, 2008, 10:46:25 PM6/14/08
On Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:29:59 -0400, Sea Wasp
<seawasp...@sgeObviousinc.com> wrote:

> I hope this does not reflect no market for space opera, as the book I
>have just sold to Baen is space opera.

I don't think so, really. It was more a case of the publisher getting
a bit overextended, perhaps. I think the book was a real strong book.

It may be, as well, that Space Opera, being naturally an expansive
genre, does better at longer lengths.