Girl Genius (GG) 7 March 2008

William F. Adams

Mar 7, 2008, 7:17:21 AM3/7/08
ROFLMAOWTFFME!

I've really enjoyed this bit w/ Gil,

and all I want to add is that if _anyone_ has a copy of Baron
Wulfenbach's monograph on ``how to communicate in the workplace'' I'd
like to borrow it.

William

jonme...@gmail.com

Mar 7, 2008, 7:58:34 AM3/7/08
On Mar 7, 7:17 am, "William F. Adams" <willad...@aol.com> wrote:
> ROFLMAOWTFFME!

> and all I want to add is that if _anyone_ has a copy of Baron
> Wulfenbach's monograph on ``how to communicate in the workplace'' I'd
> like to borrow it.

Get in line.

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 7, 2008, 9:36:13 AM3/7/08
In article <9797afb9-d2d7-46d4...@60g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,

No clue, but here's something on workplace management after
Genghis Khan.

http://www.workerscompinsider.com/archives/000541.html

Dorothy J. Heydt
Albany, California
djh...@kithrup.com

Sean O'Hara

Mar 7, 2008, 12:00:16 PM3/7/08
In the Year of the Earth Rat, the Great and Powerful William F.
Adams declared:

For me the interesting bit is the order Gil gives about the clank
commander's head.

--
Sean O'Hara <http://diogenes-sinope.blogspot.com>
I got news for you, baby -- nobody's civilized. You peel off a

William F. Adams

Mar 7, 2008, 12:55:03 PM3/7/08
On Mar 7, 12:00 pm, Sean O'Hara <seanoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> For me the interesting bit is the order Gil gives about the clank
> commander's head.

Yeah, running operational security in this world would add a whole
'nother dimension to ``leave no man behind''. Shades of whats-his-name
from _Wild Cards_ who could access memories of animals / people which
he ate.

William

Konrad Gaertner

Mar 7, 2008, 4:07:51 PM3/7/08

Don't forget the orders Gil gave Bang; I've already heard speculation
that Gil isn't forgetting them himself.

--
Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - - email: kgae...@tx.rr.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/

David McMillan

Mar 13, 2008, 1:43:23 PM3/13/08

I noted the bit all "All seven Popes." I guess Sparkiness made the
breakup of the Roman Empire a bit more, er, *fragemented* in the GG 'verse.

William F. Adams

Mar 14, 2008, 7:16:22 AM3/14/08
On Mar 13, 1:43 pm, David McMillan <spamt...@skyefire.org> wrote:
>         I noted the bit all "All seven Popes."  I guess Sparkiness made the
> breakup of the Roman Empire a bit more, er, *fragemented* in the GG 'verse.

Yeah, it was an interesting historical tidbit.

Almost makes one wonder if they've done a list of saints as well ---
who'd be the patron saint of sparks?

William

Sea Wasp

Mar 14, 2008, 8:00:20 AM3/14/08

St. Fraunkunshteen?

--
Sea Wasp
/^\

rmoldsk...@online.no

Mar 14, 2008, 8:37:09 AM3/14/08
William F. Adams <will...@aol.com> wrote:

> Yeah, it was an interesting historical tidbit.
>
> Almost makes one wonder if they've done a list of saints as well ---
> who'd be the patron saint of sparks?

Saint Judah Loew?

--
Leif Roar Moldskred

Sean O'Hara

Mar 14, 2008, 11:14:47 AM3/14/08
In the Year of the Earth Rat, the Great and Powerful David McMillan
declared:

> I noted the bit all "All seven Popes." I guess Sparkiness made the
> breakup of the Roman Empire a bit more, er, *fragemented* in the GG 'verse.

I didn't interpret it that way at all. Multiple Popes weren't at all
uncommon in history, though the most was three during the Great
Schism. I take the "seven Popes" line to indicate that the Spark
Wars have created an even bigger schism, with seven rival claimants
to the papacy, not that there was some early POD WRT the Catholic
Church.

Mayor: Mr. Garrison, every Christmas you suggest we get rid of all
the Mexicans, and every Christmas we tell you "NO!"
-South Park

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 14, 2008, 11:35:22 AM3/14/08
In article <4I-dnfviS9oKxkfa...@giganews.com>,

Either that, or he means the seven Popes who've held the See of
Rome since he wrote the monograph. John Paul II reigned for so
long -- twenty-six years --that he may have skewed the perceptions
of those who are young enough that they can't remember any other
Pope. But his predecessor, JP I, reigned only thirty-three days.
Popes, being generally already old men when elected, don't
generally last long (particularly in the absence of modern
medicine).

So Klaus has been de facto Emperor of Europe for most of Gil's
lifetime; let's guesstimate twenty years. Considering not only
the state of medicine (abysmal with flashes of brilliance if you
happen to get a Sparky doctor), and the generally unsettled
state of life in Europe -- and Italy, as we can see from the
Europa Wulfenbach map available from Cafe Press, is NOT part
of the Wulfenbach empire -- I can easily see seven Popes in
twenty years.

James Nicoll

Mar 14, 2008, 12:05:15 PM3/14/08
In article <Jxq8M...@kithrup.com>,

Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:

>Either that, or he means the seven Popes who've held the See of
>Rome since he wrote the monograph. John Paul II reigned for so
>long -- twenty-six years --that he may have skewed the perceptions
>of those who are young enough that they can't remember any other
>Pope. But his predecessor, JP I, reigned only thirty-three days.
>Popes, being generally already old men when elected, don't
>generally last long (particularly in the absence of modern
>medicine).

Now, what was the name of the elderly Pope who was put in
as a care-taker for the presumably short time that he had left, who
then lived for years and years and years after his selection?
--
http://www.livejournal.com/users/james_nicoll
http://www.cafepress.com/jdnicoll (For all your "The problem with

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 14, 2008, 12:22:23 PM3/14/08
In article <fre7nq$af0$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

James Nicoll <jdni...@panix.com> wrote:
>In article <Jxq8M...@kithrup.com>,
>Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>>
>>Either that, or he means the seven Popes who've held the See of
>>Rome since he wrote the monograph. John Paul II reigned for so
>>long -- twenty-six years --that he may have skewed the perceptions
>>of those who are young enough that they can't remember any other
>>Pope. But his predecessor, JP I, reigned only thirty-three days.
>>Popes, being generally already old men when elected, don't
>>generally last long (particularly in the absence of modern
>>medicine).
>
> Now, what was the name of the elderly Pope who was put in
>as a care-taker for the presumably short time that he had left, who
>then lived for years and years and years after his selection?

Well, they thought John XXIII would be an interim Pope, one who
wouldn't rock the boat during his short term in office. But he
hung on for nine years and turned the Church upside down, shook
it out like a rug, and tacked it back in place considerably
refreshed.

But that's probably not the one you had in mind, and there have
probably been several that fit your criteria.

Sean Eric Fagan

Mar 14, 2008, 12:26:58 PM3/14/08
In article <Jxq8M...@kithrup.com>,
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>In article <4I-dnfviS9oKxkfa...@giganews.com>,
>David McMillan <spam...@skyefire.org> wrote:
>>William F. Adams wrote:
>>> ROFLMAOWTFFME!
>>>
>>> I've really enjoyed this bit w/ Gil,

>> I noted the bit all "All seven Popes." I guess Sparkiness made the
>>breakup of the Roman Empire a bit more, er, *fragemented* in the GG 'verse.
>Either that, or he means the seven Popes who've held the See of
>Rome since he wrote the monograph.

Yeah, but... sequential denouncement doesn't have as strong an impact as
parallel.

From context, I can't really get any interpretation other than there are seven
popes simultaneously. (After all, if there are so many, that means there's
some pretty significant disagreements going on. But if all of them agree
about the monograph, that's surprising.)

Wayne Throop

Mar 14, 2008, 12:41:43 PM3/14/08
: s...@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
: From context, I can't really get any interpretation other than there
: are seven popes simultaneously.

I tend to agree, but the real questions are 1) is one of them
the Space Pope, and 2) is that pope reptilian?

Wayne Throop thr...@sheol.org http://sheol.org/throopw

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Mar 14, 2008, 1:38:50 PM3/14/08
In message <Jxq8M...@kithrup.com>, Dorothy J Heydt
<djh...@kithrup.com> writes

If that was the case I think he would more likely have phrased it as
"the last seven popes", but it's possible that it's an abbreviated form
of "all seven popes since it was written".

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
http://lavateraguy.blogspot.com http://www.malvaceae.info

William George Ferguson

Mar 14, 2008, 2:37:09 PM3/14/08

St. Vidicon of Cathode would be a good one.

--
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

Liz Broadwell

Mar 14, 2008, 2:46:34 PM3/14/08
William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>"William F. Adams"wrote:
>>David McMillan <spamt...@skyefire.org> wrote:
>>> I noted the bit all "All seven Popes."  I guess Sparkiness made the
>>> breakup of the Roman Empire a bit more, er, *fragemented* in the GG 'verse.
>>
>>Yeah, it was an interesting historical tidbit.
>>
>>Almost makes one wonder if they've done a list of saints as well ---
>>who'd be the patron saint of sparks?
>
>St. Vidicon of Cathode would be a good one.

Heh. I'd take Saint Barbara, invoked against things that go boom. And,
naturally, patron of all those who make, fire or work around things that
go boom.

Not to mention that the people who martyred her were struck by lightning
afterward, the kind of timing error a spark would understand.

Peace,
Liz

--
Liz Broadwell (username-in-header at orphco dot org), Charter Orphan
-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 14, 2008, 2:45:12 PM3/14/08
In article <qchlt3hb3j9a0dal6...@4ax.com>,

William George Ferguson <wmgf...@newsguy.com> wrote:
>On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 04:16:22 -0700 (PDT), "William F. Adams"
><will...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>On Mar 13, 1:43 pm, David McMillan <spamt...@skyefire.org> wrote:
>>>         I noted the bit all "All seven Popes."  I guess Sparkiness made the
>>> breakup of the Roman Empire a bit more, er, *fragemented* in the GG 'verse.
>>
>>Yeah, it was an interesting historical tidbit.
>>
>>Almost makes one wonder if they've done a list of saints as well ---
>>who'd be the patron saint of sparks?
>>
>>William
>
>St. Vidicon of Cathode would be a good one.

Wrong universe. Hmmm. Roger Bacon isn't a saint in our
universe, but he might be in theirs. He built a clank that
talked....

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Mar 14, 2008, 3:58:56 PM3/14/08
In message <JxqHF...@kithrup.com>, Dorothy J Heydt
<djh...@kithrup.com> writes

That's the name that was crossing my mind. Another possibility - St.
Frederick of Palermo (aka Frederick II Hohenstaufen) (not recognised by
six of the seven popes).

[He's the sort of person who might have been a spark in the
Sparkiverse.]

Now, what other historical characters would have been sparks.

* Leonardo da Vinci
* Évariste Galois
* Richard Feynmann

Brett Paul Dunbar

Mar 14, 2008, 5:05:39 PM3/14/08
In message <63vj3pF...@mid.individual.net>, Sean O'Hara
<sean...@gmail.com> writes

>In the Year of the Earth Rat, the Great and Powerful David McMillan
>declared:
>> >
>> I noted the bit all "All seven Popes." I guess Sparkiness made
>>the breakup of the Roman Empire a bit more, er, *fragemented* in the
>>GG 'verse.
>>

>I didn't interpret it that way at all. Multiple Popes weren't at all
>uncommon in history, though the most was three during the Great Schism.
>I take the "seven Popes" line to indicate that the Spark Wars have
>created an even bigger schism, with seven rival claimants to the
>papacy, not that there was some early POD WRT the Catholic Church.

There have been three claimants on three separate occasions:

687 In opposition to St Sergius I (687-701) two antipopes
were also elected, Theodore II and Paschal I both were
deposed the same year.

1409-1411 The Council of Pisa deposed roman pope Gregory XII
(Angelo Corrari)(1406-1411 d.1415) and Avignon antipope
Benedict XIII (Pedro Martínez de Luna) (1394-1423) and
elected Pisan antipope Alexander V (Pietro di Candia)
(1409-1410) when he died a conclave elected John XXIII
(Baldassare Cossa) (1410-1415 d.1419). Neither existing
pope accepted deposition and the Roman pope retained
widespread support, while most of the Avignon supporters
defected to Pisa leaving Avignon with only Aragon.
Benedict was expelled from Avignon in 1403 following a
five year siege and relocated to Spain.

1425-1429 The Council of Constance deposed John XXIII and Gregory
XII abdicated, after Gregory had died, Martin V (Odo
Colonna) (1417-1431) was elected pope. The rather more
marginal Benedict XIII rejected his deposition. And when
he died, while his cardinals had accepted Martin as pope
he appointed four more just before he died, three of
them held a conclave and elected Clement VIII (Gil
Sanchez Muñoz y Carbón) (1423-1429 d.1446) Jean Carrier,
the fourth, who had not been present, held a one man
conclave and elected Benedict XIV (Bernard Garnier)
(1425-c.1429). Benedict had appointed four cardinals who
when he died then elected Jean Carrier who also adopted
the name Benedict XIV (1430-c.1437 d.?), he had by this
point been imprisoned by Clement (who had resigned and
recognised Martin as pope) and reigned in captivity.

I am going by which of the claimants are now regarded as having been
valid by the Roman Catholic Church.
--
Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search http://www.mersenne.org/prime.htm
Livejournal http://brett-dunbar.livejournal.com/

Brett Paul Dunbar

Mar 14, 2008, 5:54:11 PM3/14/08
In message <fre7nq$af0$1...@reader2.panix.com>, James Nicoll
<jdni...@panix.com> writes

>In article <Jxq8M...@kithrup.com>,
>Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>>
>>Either that, or he means the seven Popes who've held the See of
>>Rome since he wrote the monograph. John Paul II reigned for so
>>long -- twenty-six years --that he may have skewed the perceptions
>>of those who are young enough that they can't remember any other
>>Pope. But his predecessor, JP I, reigned only thirty-three days.
>>Popes, being generally already old men when elected, don't
>>generally last long (particularly in the absence of modern
>>medicine).
>
> Now, what was the name of the elderly Pope who was put in
>as a care-taker for the presumably short time that he had left, who
>then lived for years and years and years after his selection?

Could be Clement XII (Lorenzo Corsini) when elected on 12 July 1730 he
was 78 years old blind and bedridden [1], he reigned for nearly ten
years, dying on 6 February 1740 after a surprisingly energetic papacy.
Or possibly Adrian I; elected 9 February 773 at reputedly 80 years of
age then reigned for 23 years dying on 25 December 795 possibly aged
103.

[1] Bemedict XVI is the oldest man elected pope since Clement, who
was a few months older.

John Schilling

Mar 14, 2008, 9:34:21 PM3/14/08

Let's not forget the heads of the two great competing Houses of the
true Steampunk era; Edison and Tesla.

--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *

Cosmin Corbea

Mar 15, 2008, 12:05:08 AM3/15/08
James Nicoll wrote:
> Now, what was the name of the elderly Pope who was put in
> as a care-taker for the presumably short time that he had left, who
> then lived for years and years and years after his selection?

Could be Jacques Duèze; the story (as told by Maurice Druon in "Les Rois
Maudits") is that in 1316 the Count of Poitiers's soldiers had surrounded
the Lyon monastery where the conclave was gathered, holding it captive until
a pope was elected. Duèze faked illness, and the cardinals, believing him on
his deathbed chose him. He lived 18 more years, and was pope until 1334
under the name of Jean XXII.
--
Regards,

Cosmin Corbea

David DeLaney

Mar 15, 2008, 1:19:49 AM3/15/08
John Schilling <schi...@spock.usc.edu> wrote:
>Stewart Robert Hinsley <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>Now, what other historical characters would have been sparks.
>
>>* Leonardo da Vinci
>>* Évariste Galois
>>* Richard Feynmann
>
>Let's not forget the heads of the two great competing Houses of the
>true Steampunk era; Edison and Tesla.

Charles Babbage & Augusta Ada King. (Yes, you -do- know who the second one is.)
Also Ehrich Weiss.

Quite most definitely one: Benjamin Franklin.

Dave "the only thing he ever truly made" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 15, 2008, 1:54:50 AM3/15/08
In article <mo9mt394nlpfh44ms...@4ax.com>,

But it's the eighteenth century; neither of them, have been born
yet. Nor Feynman. I don't recognize Galois.

Dorothy J Heydt

Mar 15, 2008, 2:03:18 AM3/15/08
In article <slrnftmkk...@gatekeeper.vic.com>,

David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
>John Schilling <schi...@spock.usc.edu> wrote:
>>Stewart Robert Hinsley <{$news$}@meden.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>>>Now, what other historical characters would have been sparks.
>>
>>>* Leonardo da Vinci

He would do, yes.

>>>* Évariste Galois

Born 1831.

>>>* Richard Feynmann

Born 1918.

>>Let's not forget the heads of the two great competing Houses of the
>>true Steampunk era; Edison and Tesla.

Born 1847 and 1846 respectively.

>Charles Babbage & Augusta Ada King.

Born 1791, which means he might have been born at the time of GG,
but not old enough to make a mark for himself yet, and 1815,
which is way too late even if she were as precocious as Agatha.

>(Yes, you -do- know who the second one is.)

Better known as Countess Lovelace.

David DeLaney

Mar 15, 2008, 6:13:10 AM3/15/08
Dorothy J Heydt <djh...@kithrup.com> wrote:
>John Schilling <schi...@spock.usc.edu> wrote:

>>>Now, what other historical characters would have been sparks.

>But it's the eighteenth century; neither of them, have been born

>yet. Nor Feynman. I don't recognize Galois.

Mathematician. But I didn't see any restriction to "what other ones would have
been sparks contemporaneously with Agatha's story"? The patron saint of them
certainly wouldn't have been - with sparkiness that prevalent they'd've
designated one long since, who of course would have had to be dead for a while
already (or at least Mysteriously Vanished In Suspicious Circumstances, sparks
being what they are).

Dave

rmoldsk...@online.no

Mar 15, 2008, 5:58:28 AM3/15/08
David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:

> with sparkiness that prevalent they'd've
> designated one long since, who of course would have had to be dead for a while
> already (or at least Mysteriously Vanished In Suspicious Circumstances, sparks
> being what they are).

William of Ockham, perhaps? Killed in a violent shaving accident?

--
Leif Roar Moldskred
Got Sfik?

Robert A. Woodward

Mar 15, 2008, 12:38:07 PM3/15/08
In article <JxrCF...@kithrup.com>,

18th century? Where did you get that from?

Evaste Galois was an early 19th century French mathematician who
died of a duel at age 20, see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Évariste_Galois>

--
Robert Woodward <robe...@drizzle.com>
<http://www.drizzle.com/~robertaw>

Robert Sneddon

Mar 16, 2008, 11:56:55 AM3/16/08
In message <12055...@sheol.org>, Wayne Throop <thr...@sheol.org>
writes

>: s...@kithrup.com (Sean Eric Fagan)
>: From context, I can't really get any interpretation other than there
>: are seven popes simultaneously.
>
>I tend to agree, but the real questions are 1) is one of them
>the Space Pope, and 2) is that pope reptilian?

Is one of them a clank? ("Good News from the Vatican" by Silverberg)
--
To reply, my gmail address is nojay1 Robert Sneddon

Wim Lewis

Mar 18, 2008, 10:33:07 PM3/18/08
>> with sparkiness that prevalent they'd've designated [a patron
>> saint] long since, who of course would have had to be dead for a

>> while already (or at least Mysteriously Vanished In Suspicious
>> Circumstances, sparks being what they are).
>
>William of Ockham, perhaps? Killed in a violent shaving accident?

Oh, I think that sparks probably *like* to multiply entities beyond
necessity. Perhaps even beyond reason (muahaha, etc.).

--
Wim Lewis <wi...@hhhh.org>, Seattle, WA, USA. PGP keyID 27F772C1