Alien civilization novels?

Nyrath the nearly wise

Aug 31, 2009, 7:33:57 AM8/31/09
I'm trying to make a list of novels that trace the
historical epochs of an alien civilization as it develops.

So far I have:

First Cycle by H. Beam Piper and Michael Kurland
The Crucible of Time by John Brunner
Dragon's Egg and Starquake by Robert L. Forward
Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon

Any others?

Anthony Nance

Aug 31, 2009, 11:05:18 AM8/31/09

Two questions:
- This specifically excludes humans, correct?
- Where does Tolkien's history of Middle Earth fit in your thinking?

Tony

Richard Todd

Aug 31, 2009, 2:36:32 PM8/31/09

Spock's World by Diane Duane. (The civilization in question was, of course,
Vulcan.)

Quite a few stories in the Perry Rhodan series have had this sort of structure,
giving the backstory of an alien race; the examples I can think of offhand
are #1801 "The Herreach" and #2000 "ES" by the (recently deceased) Robert
Feldhoff. Not much help if you don't read German though. :-)

Ahasuerus

Aug 31, 2009, 3:15:07 PM8/31/09
On Aug 31, 7:33 am, Nyrath the nearly wise

Well, there is _The Sun Destroyers_ (http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/
pl.cgi?YNKVLSNDS1973), a collection of 4 linked stories by Ross
Rocklynne. His aliens are as alien as they get and their civilization
has "historical epochs" (of sorts) although they are described from
the POV of individual aliens.

Kosmos

Aug 31, 2009, 4:59:13 PM8/31/09

"Nyrath the nearly wise" <nyr...@project.rho.invalid> wrote in message

The Hellaconia Series perhaps by Brian Aldiss though I never finished it as
it bored me to tears.

Nyrath the nearly wise

Aug 31, 2009, 7:47:04 PM8/31/09
Anthony Nance wrote:
> Two questions:
> - This specifically excludes humans, correct?
> - Where does Tolkien's history of Middle Earth fit in your thinking?

Yes, I'd like to exclude humans.

I suppose Tolkien's elves would fit, but I was hoping more
for SF instead of fantasy, and more the history of the
alien's science and technology as opposed to culture.

Greg Goss

Aug 31, 2009, 10:40:44 PM8/31/09

That Greg Bear thing where he injected learning bacteria into his own
bloodstream. Blood Music? (googles) yup.

There's also some kind of insects in a tabletop empire. I know that
it was familiar when Bart Simpson did it for a science project, so
there must be an original one out there.
--
Tomorrow is today already.
Greg Goss, 1989-01-27

Mike Dworetsky

Sep 1, 2009, 3:58:51 AM9/1/09
"Nyrath the nearly wise" <nyr...@project.rho.invalid> wrote in message

The Primes in Pandora's Star and Judas Unchained by Peter F. Hamilton.
Substantial parts of the two novels outline how they came to be so
thoroughly unpleasant.

--
Mike Dworetsky

(Remove pants sp*mbl*ck to reply)

David DeLaney

Sep 1, 2009, 2:01:15 AM9/1/09
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>There's also some kind of insects in a tabletop empire. I know that
>it was familiar when Bart Simpson did it for a science project, so
>there must be an original one out there.

Martin's _Starkings_? ... No no, _Sandkings_, my mistake.

Dave
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Quadibloc

Sep 1, 2009, 8:50:31 AM9/1/09
On Aug 31, 8:40 pm, Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

> There's also some kind of insects in a tabletop empire.  I know that
> it was familiar when Bart Simpson did it for a science project, so
> there must be an original one out there.

I remember advertisements for glass-encased ant farms which were
actually available for purchase in the real world...

John Savard

Arthur

Sep 1, 2009, 9:18:36 AM9/1/09

Well there is "The Hacker and the Ants' by Rudy Rucker, but they are
not real "ants".

cryptoguy

Sep 1, 2009, 10:11:48 AM9/1/09

A familiar childhood item, and still available. Uncle Milton's been
selling them for 50 years:
http://www.unclemilton.com/products/AntFarm/

More modern versions at
http://www.antstuff.net

pt

Anthony Nance

Sep 1, 2009, 10:57:41 AM9/1/09
Nyrath the nearly wise <nyr...@project.rho.invalid> wrote:

Sounds good, thanks. I am inundated with real life stuff,
but if anything comes to mind, I'll pop back.

Tony

Christopher Henrich

Sep 1, 2009, 12:24:23 PM9/1/09
In article <7g3fu4F...@mid.individual.net>,
Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:

This could be "Microcosmic God," by Theodore Sturgeon.

--
Christopher J. Henrich
chen...@monmouth.com

Greg Goss

Sep 1, 2009, 3:16:25 PM9/1/09
Christopher Henrich <chen...@monmouth.com> wrote:

>In article <7g3fu4F...@mid.individual.net>,
> Greg Goss <go...@gossg.org> wrote:
>
>> Nyrath the nearly wise <nyr...@project.rho.invalid> wrote:
>>
>> >I'm trying to make a list of novels that trace the
>> >historical epochs of an alien civilization as it develops.
>> >
>> >So far I have:
>> >
>> >First Cycle by H. Beam Piper and Michael Kurland
>> >The Crucible of Time by John Brunner
>> >Dragon's Egg and Starquake by Robert L. Forward
>> >Star Maker by Olaf Stapledon
>> >
>> >Any others?
>>
>> That Greg Bear thing where he injected learning bacteria into his own
>> bloodstream. Blood Music? (googles) yup.
>>
>> There's also some kind of insects in a tabletop empire. I know that
>> it was familiar when Bart Simpson did it for a science project, so
>> there must be an original one out there.
>
>This could be "Microcosmic God," by Theodore Sturgeon.

The title sounds right. Is our YASID tracker in this thead?

Stewart Robert Hinsley

Sep 2, 2009, 6:55:58 AM9/2/09
In message <7g3fu4F...@mid.individual.net>, Greg Goss
<go...@gossg.org> writes

The original might be Sturgeon's "Microcosmic God" (a short story)
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley