Books I bought in 2007

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 6, 2008, 7:24:52 PM1/6/08
Only a few days late...

There's an obvious ramp here, as I struggle to dredge up details from
last January and then write long essays about the books I read in
December. No surprise there.

---- january 2007

Wolfe, Gene -- Soldier of Sidon [left over from 2006]

More of la-belle-dude-sans-memoire, in Egypt. This seemed shallow, but
Wolfe always convinces me that it's my own fault for not getting it.

Green, Simon R. -- Hell To Pay

Newest Nightside novel? I don't remember anything about the story,
which is fine. You don't read these in order to have your literary
outlook changed forever.

Richardson, Kat -- Greywalker

Private detective learns to see ghosts. Good idea for a series (I
mean, if you've already decided to cash in on the supernatural-romance
sweatshop) but the writing failed to carry it. The pacing seemed all
wrong; I had no sense of what the protagonist cared about or worried
about. Also, her helpful magic buddy and convenient boyfriend were
both too convenient and helpful for any tension. Will not read sequel.

Reynolds, Alastair -- Zima Blue and Other Stories

Some of Reynolds's best stuff. These stories are not set in his
"Revelation Space" universe. This makes them less depressing.

Briggs, Patricia -- Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, book 2)

More shapechanging mechanic. This swerves sharply towards the median:
our heroine is torn between her werewolf boyfriend and her human
boyfriend, or was it vampire boyfriend? Or a second werewolf? I now
have the plot confused with, oh, about three other series, and whose
fault is that? Still readable.

Lukyanenko, Sergei -- Night Watch

Urban fantasy from Moscow, where the natural evolution of
light-vs-dark is the business-as-usual milieu of
barely-distinguishable corrupt government and crime mob. Light
magicians and sorcerers are bogged down in a permanent
standoff-and-treaty with Dark vampires and witches -- with countless
deals, alliances, rivalries, and friendships running across the line,
at every level from the petty to the top. Charming and tricksy. Also
made a great movie.

Kay, Guy Gavriel -- Ysabel

Kid meets intense mythic avatars from the dawn of et cetera.
Present-day setting, and brings in some characters from Kay's early
Fionavar trilogy. This bothered some people who remembered anything
about Fionavar. It didn't bother me, but in retrospect those
characters were a distraction from the plot. But then maybe the plot
needed distraction. Without Kay's usual layerings of historic detail,
the intense mythic avatars kind of came off as twits.

Scalzi, John -- Old Man's War

I read this on Scalzi's web site Way Back When. Old guy signs up on a
one-way trip to Explore the Off-World Colonies! Up side: restored
youth; down side: it's a military ticket. Most of Earth's old folks go
for the deal. We thus get a war story which *isn't* the growing-up of
a naive teenager, which is worth the price by itself. Enthusiatically
told and funny, too. The plot of the last section goes off in a
somewhat unrelated direction; you could look at this as a set of
closely-linked novellas, or as the beginning of a trilogy with
long-term plot threads.

Butcher, Jim -- Proven Guilty

I think this series needs momentum on its side. I had to wait a long
time for the paperback of this (and the sequel *still* isn't out in
paperback). When I'm not chewing the series down like candy, it isn't
that memorable. Anyhow, our hero attempts to cope with the tidal wave
of crap that the past several books of bumbling have brought down on
him. (PS: I liked the TV series, so there. Different story, different
characters, but nicely done.)

---- february 2007

Dowling, Terry -- Blue Tyson
Dowling, Terry -- Twilight Beach
Dowling, Terry -- Rynosseros

Series of short stories in an Australian future -- meaning the mix of
aboriginal and colonial, nation and tribal confederacy, mythic and
scientific. Also a lot of alien and slightly posthuman. (I already had
some of these volumes, but now I have matched editions.)

Nix, Garth -- Lady Friday

Continuation of steam-pulpy kids' series about a boy chasing around
the House of the Architect after God's Will. (Still in probate.) Has a
nice percentage of creepy. I wish these were coming out faster, though --
they can't take that long to write.

Friedman, Daniel P.; Felleisen, Matthias -- The Seasoned Schemer
Friedman, Daniel P.; Byrd, William E.; Kiselyov, Oleg -- The Reasoned Schemer

I never got *good* at functional or logical programming. I went
through these as a refresher. They're followups to the original
_Little Lisper_ (later rewritten for Scheme); tutorials and exercise
books written in Socratic form.

Harrigan, Pat; Wardrip-Fruin, Noah -- Second Person: Role-Playing and Story in Games and Playable Media

Collection of academic articles on RPGs and computer games. Ego
purchase: one of the articles is about my game _Shade_. Many of the
other articles are excellent, and I only stop at "many" because I
skipped around a lot. Eventually I need to read the rest. Contributors
include Costikyan, GRRMartin, Borgstrom, Czege, Kevin Wilson, Mechner,
Meretzky, Crawford, Ken Hite, Emily Short, ...

Gentle, Mary -- Ilario: The Lion's Eye

Standalone novel set in Gentle's "Ash" alternate history. I say this
is her best novel; the plot is coherent (not *tight*, but plenty of
momentum). It rebounds between political intrigue (petty and dirty,
not world-spanning) and the wonders of Gentle's mad setting, while
remaining tightly focussed on themes of family and gender. In every
combination -- the protagonist is a (true) hermaphrodite, and the
story only more complicated from there. And unlike Gentle's usual take
on family, it's not *unremittingly* bitter. (Note: currently in print
in the US, but divided into two volumes confusingly titled "The Lion's
Eye" and "The Stone Golem". I read the UK edition.)

Rowling, J. K. -- Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Sixth you-know-what.

Hite, Ken; Woodward, Jonathan -- Underground Boston

A pamphlet essay on inventing a secret history for Boston.

Brinley, Bertrand R. -- The Big Chunk of Ice

A novel of the Mad Scientists' Club, long unpublished. Boys'
adventures involving the Alps, diamonds, haunted castles, and even
girls. Amusing.

---- march 2007

Duncan, Hal -- Ink

Followup to the deeply confusing, vivid, and authorially gymnastic
_Vellum_, about which I was ambivalent. I'm afraid I fell off the
wrong side of ambivalent with this one. Duncan is juggling a whole
nest of analogous characters in different settings, trying to spread a
gestalt story across their fragments, but I couldn't get a hold on it.
So I read a bunch of fragments about characters with similar names.
Some of them were really well-written fragments; I hope Duncan writes
a novel next.

Duncan, Dave -- The Alchemist's Apprentice

(Not the same Duncan!) Smartass kid in Renaissance Venice runs errands
for his grumpy master Nostradamus. (Not the same Nostradamus!) Because
it is Venice, politics occurs, thence rooftop chases, duels,
poisonings, amorous assignations, demons, and more politics.
Thoroughly fun.

Vaughn, Carrie -- Kitty and the Midnight Hour

Look! More urban werewolves! This is actually an early entry in the
genre, which I didn't pick up until now. Small-time radio talk show
host decides what the hell, let's talk about all that preternatural
stuff that we're not supposed to admit exists. (She is a recent
werewolf victim/convert.) The show strikes a nerve, furries and vamps
start calling in, and it catalyzes the Big Paranormal Coming-Out Month
that's either backstory or futurestory in most of these series. Has a
certain amount of familiar tropage (look! the badass bounty hunter!)
but a good read.

Doyle, Debra; MacDonald, James D. -- Land of Mist and Snow

A slightly Lovecraftian Civil War yarn. The Union is building an
extremely peculiar warship, far in the Artic, no cold iron allowed
anywhere and the work crew aren't exactly human... Creepy, though
rather thin.

Campbell, Alan -- Scar Night

Someone really enjoyed his Mieville. This has a crumbling city
suspended on enormous chains over a pit with a carnivorous god at the
bottom. Unfortunately you now know all the good parts of the book.
Everyone in it is nasty or annoying or both.

---- april 2007

McGarry, Terry -- Triad

Conclusion of a trilogy which started with a familiar "young
misunderstood wizard runs away from home" plot, and got progressively
more peculiar. I don't think this one is very successful, but at least
it fails at something distinctive. The various narrators (at least one
of whom is insane) try to deal with all the magical catastrophes that
have befallen their wonderful magical homeland. Including the
catastrophes from ancient history that led to (what we thought was)
the original status quo. The result is a bit too tidy, considering its
magnitude, but you can't fault its ambition.

Shinn, Sharon -- The Dream-Maker's Magic

Third in a kids' series about a world with homey forms of magic. The
dream-maker (there's just one at a time) is a good-luck charm for
everyone he or she meets, while never being happy him/herself. This
fits into a comfortable adolescent hard-luck growing-up story, with
enough friendship and cheer to avoid pure tragedy.

Moriarty, Chris -- Spin Control

Sequel to that coal-mines-in-space novel from a few years ago. This
thankfully drops focus from the gimmicky unobtanium, and sticks to
politics. All right, Israeli politics. But it feels a lot more
relevant than downtrodden blackleg miners. It's got AI politics too,
and spy politics, involving our friends the spy and the AI from the
first book. Also ants (literal and metaphorical). Moriarty is shaping
up.

Lukyanenko, Sergei -- Day Watch

More Russian fantasy. This series is organized as groups of connected
novellas, and I didn't like all the sections in this book. But,
overall, still good. (I liked the movie _Day Watch_ too, but the movie
is a conclusion -- the book _Day Watch_ is not -- and the movie goes
off in a completely different direction than the novels.)

---- may 2007

Scalzi, John -- The Ghost Brigades

Sequel to _Old Man's War_, this time focussing on the more alien parts
of the Colonial Defense Force. The characters from the first book do
show up, but we have a different point of view. Still entertaining,
and I want to know where the third book goes -- we get a broader
perspective on what's going on each book -- but I will (again) wait
for the paperback.

Brennan, Herbie -- Faerie Wars

Boy falls into elf war. Lame. Might have had redeeming -- no. Might
have had non-lame qualities, but I can't remember them, nor how it
ended.

Marks, Laurie J. -- Water Logic

Third book about a wonderful magical homeland that got invaded by
militaristic assholes. The first two books kicked that cliche into a
puddle, along with any other cliches in earshot, and this one jumps up
and down in the puddle wearing pink polka-dotted galoshes. The
question was not how to repel the invaders -- they're *here*, they've
been living here for decades. Nor was it how to kill them; the war is
over. It's how to rebuild a country out of whatever it is that war
leaves behind. The series is relentlessly personal, familial, and full
of love. I bet you think that sounds *sappy*.

In fact _Water Logic_ is not my favorite of the series so far; it's
a time-travel plot, which is not handled particularly deeply. But
it's got plenty of what I like about the books.

Duncan, Dave -- Mother of Lies

Conclusion to war story on fantasy dodecahedral world. Competent but
not engaging; I read it mostly to see if the dodecahdron had an
interesting explanation. (It doesn't.) I would have thought Duncan was
on a downslide if he hadn't also come out with _The Alchemist's
Apprentice_ this year.

Reynolds, Alastair -- Galactic North

Collection of stories in the "Revelation Space" universe. Considerably
more bitter and depressing than the _Zima Blue_ collection. I guess
it's just a downer of a universe.

Berg, Carol -- Flesh and Spirit

I ought to remember more about this than I do, because I liked it a
lot. Plus I just bought the sequel (but haven't read it yet). Oh,
right: self-centered drug addict attempts to stay the hell away from
his family and, preferably, the entire world. His family and the world
do not cooperate. Despite my description, the guy is quite a
sympathetic character (it helps that his family is not). He stumbles
across a plot to save the world -- via librarians, always a win for me
-- and everything gets more complicated from there. Magic, scary
elf/nature-spirits, mysterious Dark Lord, and I've just talked myself
into reading the sequel next.

Vaughn, Carrie -- Kitty Goes to Washington

Sequel to werewolf talk-show book. This one is exactly what the title
says: werewolf testifies before Congress. It's nice to see the
politics playing out, but the plot goes in a TV-thriller direction,
with TV-thriller levels of plausibility. (Evil politician tortures
hero in front of live cameras!) I am unenthused about continuing to
read these.

Williams, Liz -- The Demon and the City

More Chinese demon-police noir. The demon partner gets center stage
here, with Detective Inspector Chen not even showing up until halfway
through the book. Still more fun than anything.

---- june 2007

Lukyanenko, Sergei -- Twilight Watch

Third in series. Possibly intended as the final volume, but then the
movies started appearing and Lukyanenko realized he could keep writing
sequels. (This is speculation; what I know is that he wrote _Final
Watch_ in 2006. It hasn't come out in English yet.)

Anyway, this one amps the scope up in an end-of-trilogy sort of way,
as yet another conspiracy threatens to do serious damage to everyone's
favorite status quo. I like my idea for the closing plot gimmick
better than Lukyanenko's.

Baker, Kage -- Mother Aegypt and Other Stories

A variety, of which only some are bitter and depressing. Every time I
consider reading Baker's big Company series, I think "But it's ten
books and what if even a quarter of it is this bitter? That's like two
and a half books that I don't want to read."

Morgan, Richard K. -- Woken Furies

Third Takeshi Kovacs novel. This is startlingly well-written for a
book that passes itself off as gritty techy-action thriller. Kovacs
tries to deal with his recent past, and then more and more of his
distant past runs into him. Plotty as heck. More and more story
threads work into the knot, and every single one is set up, chapters
and chapters before you realize where it's going. If Morgan can keep
writing like this, he's going to be famous or something.

Mieville, China -- Un Lun Dun

The last author I'd ever think of allowing in front of children pulls
off a fine childrens' story. Much creepy scenery and verbal
cleverness; also a deft and deftly-used awareness of the tropes of
kids' fantasy. Easy to compare to Gaiman's _Neverwhere,_ but I'll
happily throw Roald Dahl into the matchup.

Pratchett, Terry; Stewart, Ian; Cohen, Jack -- The Science of Discworld 2: The Globe

Sequel to the only "The Science of..." book I've ever read (or wanted
to read). Pratchett is cheerfully willing to put his characters
through (the usual) absurd escapades in order to demonstrate points
about science, evolution, history, and consciousness. And he can pull
the gimmick off without it even seeming contrived, dammit. Not written
on a level where I learned anything new (or expected to), but I'm
pleased I read it.

Ford, John M. -- The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History

Fantasy Masterworks edition, which I picked up to compare to my old
paperback. (Some typos were corrected; others not.) Resource for the
_Dragon Waiting_ concordance that I put online in September. You read
my concordance, right?

Lake, Jay -- Mainspring

Excellent romp across a clockwork Earth that runs on giant brass rails
through the heavens. (Don't think too hard about the mechanics of it.)
Standalone novel, although I believe Lake is writing more in this
universe.

---- july 2007

Wiesner, David; Leiber, Fritz -- Gonna Roll the Bones

One of my favorite illustrators (you've seen _Tuesday_, right?)
illustrates one of my favorite short stories. He goes dark and rough,
appropriately for the story. The text is unfortunately compressed,
losing some of its rhythm and charm. But this is still a nice
ghost-story picture book; if you know young kids who read, consider
it.

Hodgson, William Hope -- The Dream of X

A condensed, novella-sized version of _The Night Land_. (The
condensation was done by Hodgson for obscure copyright reasons,
according to an intro by Sam Moskowitz.) I have not read _The Night
Land_, and I have not yet gotten to this.

Lake, Jay -- Trial of Flowers

More Mieville adulation. I started this, hated everybody in it, threw
it aside after a couple of chapters. Entirely lacks _Mainspring_'s
charm.

Bear, Elizabeth -- Whiskey and Water

Sequel to mythology-bouillabaise fantasy free-for-all. This one has,
among everything else that goes on, Kit Marlowe squaring off against
the Devil. (A Devil. Didn't you hear, they come in six-packs?) _Blood
and Iron_ was a roller-coaster ride but this one seems more of a
meander -- less momentum and less direction.

Williams, Liz -- Precious Dragon

Series continues strong. Inspector Detective Chen is back in the
driver's seat.

Jablokov, Alexander -- The Breath of Suspension

Collection of short stories which I haven't read yet.

Kenyon, Kay -- Bright of the Sky

Beginning of a series set alternately in a future Galactic
civilization and an artificial universe/habitat -- the Biggest of all
Dumb Objects. Random human fell into the Bright during a wee
hyperdrive accident, spent years there, and then somehow returned. His
convenient amnesia gives the author a book's worth a plot which is
completely unengaging; rather than an introduction to the Bright, it
feels like reading the Cliff's Notes(*) stretched out over hundreds of
pages. Also, everyone there is culturally required to be a jerk.

(* Note for modern reader: Wikipedia entry.)

Effinger, George Alec -- A Thousand Deaths

_The Wolves of Memory_ plus a handful of other Sandor Courane stories.
I haven't gotten to this either. Yes, there's a whole stack of books
that I bought in July and then let rot. Sorry, ReaderCon.

Donoghue, Robert; Hicks, Fred; Balsera, Leonard -- Spirit of the Century
Hicks, Fred -- Don't Rest Your Head

Two small role-playing games. Well, _Spirit of the Century_ is
medium-sized; I relaxed my rule and bought it even though it contains
skill lists. Designed for fast-setup one-shot games; you create your
character by writing down the titles of his back-story ("Captain
Nemosis and the Radioactive Ruby of the Klondike!") and then yanking
in the other characters as sidekicks or rivals. ("I'll save you,
Captain Nemosis!") The game then rewards all references to the stuff
you've invented. Presto, instant pulp drama, finishable in an
afternoon.

_Don't Rest Your Head_ is a simple game-mechanic set in a city of
madness and sleep-deprived hallucinations. There's just nothing wrong
with any of that.

Bull, Emma -- Territory

A retelling of the Matter of Tombstone (the author's term, not mine).
The primary viewpoints are original characters -- a widowed newspaper
reporter and a wanderer with a knack for magic -- but nearly equal
weight is given to Doc Holliday and his girlfriend Kate Elder. ("Mrs
Holliday by courtesy", one narrator acerbically or thoughtlessly
comments.) Bull is telling the story of the women of Tombstone as much
as that of the men: Kate, the wives of the three Earp brothers, the
writer Mildred Benjamin. She also ties in a glimpse of the town's
Chinese community.

This volume does not reach the infamous gunfight (a sequel is
forthcoming) but it sets up the situation, with twisty chains of
magical influence creeping up and over the historical facts. It's not
quite the mode of Tim Powers: we learn the underpinnings of magic
early on. But it does the same job in the end, revealing truths about
Tombstone through explanations that could have been true.

Rowling, J. K. -- Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows [borrowed]

Concludes the story of Severus Snape and Albus Dumbledore, and the
kids they met.

My judgement is that Rowling carries off her series successfully but
imperfectly. She's built up many characters, plot threads, and themes
across ten years, and a significant fraction of them are shorted or
dropped in the end. Ironically, _Deathly Hallows_ might have been a
much better book if Rowling had been able to pass drafts around. The
fan community (even the tiny slice of it I have contact with) very
quickly came up with comments -- suggestions, connections the author
failed to make -- which should have been beta feedback rather than
book reviews.

As for the oft-vilified epilogue -- I entirely understand why Rowling
wrote it, and once it was written it wouldn't have any value kept in
her sock-drawer. (The value, obviously, was to comprehensively break
the knees of any requests to write the Harry Potter Age 20 novel, or
30, or any such.) (Rowling is perhaps taking for granted that nobody
wants to read Harry Potter Age 50.) It still needed a lot more sense
of time passing and life changing.

---- august 2007

Sagara, Michelle -- Cast in Shadow
Sagara, Michelle -- Cast in Courtlight

Someone commented that this series (by established fantasy author
Michelle Sagara-and/or-West) was the least romance-ish of the Luna
fantastic-romance publication line. I haven't read enough Luna stuff
to agree with that (I mean, I'd have to read all of them, right?) but
these are straight-up fantasy to my eye. Girl is a rookie cop in a
multi-species city -- elves, cat-people, hawk-people, others -- with
plenty of mysterious wizard lords and such to spice up the mix. Plus
she's a healer. Many a fantasy series has collapsed into sappy woo-woo
with such a premise, but this one is pleasantly hard-headed: magical
healing powers mean nobody *ever* lets you get a decent *night's
sleep*.

Anyway, there's politics and ancient magic and an angry teenager
banging the boundaries of her life into an acceptable shape, and it's
all solidly written. It doesn't dig deeply into the *meaning* of law
enforcement in fantasyland -- that's pretty much as written in our
world, gruff sargeants and all. (Re-read _Point of Hopes_ and
_Point of Dreams_ if you want deconstruction of the cliches.) But I'll
keep reading these as long as the politics and ancient magic are
interesting.

Hofstadter, Douglas -- I Am A Strange Loop

Hofstadter writes more Hofstadter. I'm okay with that; it's been a
while. He gets back to the ideas about consciousness that were
presented in _GEB_, without all the mathematical and artistic
digression along the way. (If you *liked* the digressions, well,
that's what _GEB_ was for.) Like _Le Ton beau..._, this book is about
his personal life -- in particular the loss of his wife -- as much as
about philosophy. This may seem strange, but all the way back to
_GEB_, Hofstadter has been the most personal of theorists. I don't
agree with everything in _Strange Loop_, but whatever it is, I am
interested that Hofstadter thinks so.

Wilce, Ysabeau S. -- Flora Segunda

"Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing
Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand
Rooms, and a Red Dog." That's the subtitle, and now you know whether
you need to read it.

Rowse, A. L. -- Bosworth Field & The Wars of the Roses

Resource for the _Dragon Waiting_ concordance that I put online in
September. You read my concordance, right?

Schroeder, Karl -- Queen of Candesce

Second book about a ginormous habitat filled with mobile nations and
jet pirates. This one focusses on the evil overlady from _Sun of
Suns_, last seen falling across the sky. She plots, she schemes,
she bullies, she makes julienne fries of anyone who gets in her way.
Satisfying, but I want more about the big picture.

Lynch, Scott -- Red Seas Under Red Skies

Con men masquerading as pirates! *Could not be better.* Well, actually
it could, a bit; this was about one-and-a-half plots worth of book,
and the con got short-changed. Nonetheless, pure entertainment. Begins
with a bald-faced cliff-hanger of a flash-forward, and finishes with a
bald-faced cliff-hanger of an ending -- I can't remember the last
author I found who was so *gleeful* about his storytelling. (Mind you,
when we got to the flash-forward point for the second time and Lynch
*repeated the cliffhanger gimmick*, he tripped over his clown shoes.
No doughnut for that page.)

Abraham, Daniel -- A Betrayal in Winter

Sequel to fantasy epic about civilization based on, and undermined by,
extraordinarily untrustworthy demons. I loved the first book but found
this one merely acceptable. Not sure why. Two more are coming, and I
guess I'll read them.

---- september 2007

Smith, Sherwood -- The Fox

More pirates! Yes, *pirates!* are the theme of 2007. Although this
series is really all politics -- four or five different threads
developing across the continent, all in more or less complete
ignorance of each other, as the reader covers his eyes and waits for
the oncoming landslide. (Hopefully next book -- if the series goes on
any longer I won't be able to keep track of it all.) Good stuff.

Monette, Sarah -- The Mirador

Third in four-book sequence with the best narrator voices in current
fantasy. This one adds the acerbic actress to the aw-shucks thief and
arrogant prick wizard. Like book one, book three sets up much but
resolves little; I presume I'm reading a duology in four volumes.

Rawn, Melanie -- Spellbinder

You were wondering what I have against romance novels? Books like
this, that's what I have against romance novels. (Mind you, this one
is from Tor, not Luna.) Fabulously beautiful, successful, and wealthy
authoress meets honest, humble Irish cop. But wait! She is also a
member of the circle of white witches who guard the world from evil
with their crystals and herbal candles! (Pause for careful detailing
of which minerals and which aromatic oils go into each spell.) But
wait! The nearly-as-successful but jealous evil authoress tries to
break them up, in between her S&M sex rituals and stomping
kittens! If only they could see the truth! Every single person and
plot element is festooned with these authorial sticky notes so that
you know what to think. Unreadable. PS: I made up the kittens, though.

Sagara, Michelle -- Cast in Secret

Third in rookie cop fantasy series. Elf politics always have
complications.

Caine, Rachel -- Thin Air (Weather Warden, book 6)

Sixth (cripes) book about weather wizards and djinn. Our hero
continues to gain elemental power, and she also has amnesia now. Both
of which are really strong hints that the author needs to wrap the
series up.

Mind you, I've never classed these books as *real* Mary-Sue-ism --
mostly because they make clear that the most powerful human wizard
alive rates like an irate cricket when compared to some of the
elemental powers that are currently pissed with humanity. On the other
hand, I can't understand why she hasn't turned her creepy
sociopath human stalker into meat paste. Twice.

Pratchett, Terry -- Making Money

Satisfying but not electrifying sequel to _Going Postal_. Further
adventures of Moist von Lipwig, petty criminal whose notion of
self-interest keeps being enlightened by the Patrician. We gain more
hints of Vetinari's plan for Ankh-Morpork (which has been in play
since at least _Thud_) and which I really hope gets completed, given
the recent rotten no-good very bad news about Pratchett's health.

---- october 2007

Novik, Naomi -- Empire of Ivory

Dragons-and-Napoleon book four: boy and dragon visit Africa. I'd say
this is a pedal-churning series extension, except that it ends with an
even bigger cliffhanger than it begins with. Overall plot arc *is*
happening. Needs more Iskierka, though.

Bear, Elizabeth -- Undertow

Bear continues to write books faster than I can read *half of them*.
This one has a human colony on an aquatic world, with some odd
professions (quantum luck wrangler) and some odd indigenes (the
Froggies, used as cheap labor, who are -- wait for it -- More Than
They Appear...) The story unabashedly takes fantasy tropes (curses,
geases, magical natives, the finitely-delayed wrath of the gods) into
a science-fictional setting. It's the Corporation, not the Dark Lord,
whom you have to watch out for -- and yes, that's a real distinction;
it behaves like big corporations everywhere. Including wanting to own
your soul. And when the metaphysical shit, or quantum caca if you
like, hits the fan, it's appropriately kaleidoscopic.

Pratt, T. A. -- Blood Engines

Urban fantasy which fails in ways that are more interesting to me than
the book itself. The protagonist would be the Evil Overlady in any
other book. She is power-hungry, selfish, vengeful; she secretly rules
Nameless East-Coast City(*) with an iron claw; she mind-rapes mundanes
without a hint of restraint (she's proud to have the entire Nameless
City police force as her puppets); she never lifts a finger for anyone
(including her allies and servants) unless she's bored or feels like
convincing herself that she's the good guy. This would be a fantastic
setup, except that I don't think Pratt *knows* his character is a
monster. I think she's supposed to come off as bitchy-but-charming.
Certainly the book doesn't hint that she's got any justice coming to
her.

Anyhow, someone is challenging Miss Tyrant for control of Nameless
City. She cannot allow this ("You don't *care* about my city the way I
do," she tells her challenger, in the most unintentionally hilarious
line of the month) and so she stomps into San Francisco looking for
power-ups. This brings us to the second failure, which is that she has
years and years of backstory, all of which we have to be told about,
none of which is relevant to the book. We get not one page set in
Nameless City (the ostensible driving force of the plot). We meet the
protagonist's servant and get the paragraph precis of all the crap
he's been through because of her. We learn about her Cursed Cloak of
Ass-kicking (the Curse of which is, in practice, a mild headache for a
few minutes after she uses it). We don't care about any of it. I
imagine that Pratt has *written* all of these stories, and maybe
they're even published somewhere, but in this novel they're concrete
galoshes.

All that said, there is a lot of running around mystical underground
San Francisco and kicking mystical ass. These scenes are not badly
written. There are funny bits (intentional ones). It's possible to
enjoy this book; it's just not possible to do it without wanting to
yell at the author.

(* Actually, it has a name, but it's fictional and I can't remember it
now.)

Eggers, Dave -- What is the What

Did not read is the read.

Elliott, Kate -- Spirit Gate

I seem to have read only the earliest Kate Elliott and the latest --
_Jaran_ and _Spirit Gate_.(*) I really liked both of them, which
leaves me wondering why I haven't filled in the middle. Maybe in 2008.
Anyhow, here is the start of a big fat fantasy series with politics,
various civilizations invading each other, nations slowly slipping
into chaos, hints of lost gods... Just what I like, as long as it's
narrated by a bunch of vivid and memorable voices, and by damn this
is. Will read sequel.

(* As a matter of fact, I *did* read _The Labyrinth Gate_, but I
didn't like it much, so it doesn't fit into my little narrative here.
Cope.)

Buckell, Tobias S. -- Crystal Rain

I kept hearing that Buckell was the new awesome. Turns out he is. A
human colony is beset by war, an Aztec-model blood-hungry religion
coming over the Wicked High Mountains. (That's what they're really
called, and I pretty much bought the book right there.) We quickly run
into hints of an alien invasion, centuries ago, which was blocked when
the human starship captains intentionally fried most of the tech in
the system, including the wormhole gate. The surviving
Caribbean-paradise civilization is warped around the remaining aliens
(playing gods) and the few old-timer humans whose nanotech is still
ticking. The aliens are winning, but there might be a surviving
starship... Good old-fashioned lost-starship chase plus land war with
alien demon-gods. Read it.

Davidson, Avram -- Adventures in Unhistory

Collection of essays on the possible factual origins of myths: the
phoenix, Hyperborea, mermaids, Prester John... All fished out of
Davidson's flabbergasting storehouse of historical erudition, and told
in an indescribably *vocal* voice; it's impossible to read without
hearing the guy harrumphing and waggling his eyebrows and littering
the room with quotations. Reading this book is like meeting the man,
and I can only imagine that meeting him was like meeting three of
anyone else.

Note: reading this explained a joke in _The Dragon Waiting_. Must
update concordance.

Stross, Charles -- Halting State

Stross thumps out books nearly as fast as Bear; unlike Bear, most of
Stross's are in hardback, and I finally said "Dude, gotta start
waiting for the paperbacks here." (Except for Bob Howard stories, of
course.) Then I learned that _Halting State_ was written in second
person, and I caved. It's my turf, man, I have to keep an eye on.

This is a fast-running novel of gamers gone bad in near-future
Glasgow. As usual, Stross can write technobabble for the techies --
his picture of distributed virtual worlds, used for everything from
RPGs and LARPs to police work, is entirely convincing -- even when an
odd sort of crime sets both the gamers and the cops digging into the
programmers, development houses, and venture capital firms that make
it all go. Where it all goes, unsurprisingly, is to hell in a
handbasket.

The second-person storytelling did not bother me. (Mind you, as I said,
I'm used to that sort of thing; it may bother you more.) There are
several narrators, but they're distinct enough that the trick rapidly
became transparent. Stross uses it essentially the same as
first-person prose. I don't think it would be a very different novel
if it *were* in first person. In other words, it's just a style thing,
and it works for me.

Spencer, Wen -- Wolf Who Rules

I did wait for the paperback on this one, but not because Spencer has
become prolific; it's because I thought _Tinker_ sucked. This one
kinda sucks too. It's elf politics done big and sloppy. The plot
steers like a barge; the Pittsburgh landmarks are not interesting. The
protagonist continues to go through crap that would give any real
person screaming shell-shock, but she doesn't show any other qualities
of being a person either, so it's okay.

I *liked* Spencer's first two books; what happened? Maybe it's the
editing. One more thing to blame Baen for.

---- november 2007

Scalzi, John -- The Android's Dream

Funny science fiction. Why is that such a jolting combination these
days? People used to do it all the time. This one starts with a man
doing his best to fart up an interstellar war, and rapidly moves on to
electric-blue sheep, the most ridiculous religion since Douglas Adams
got out of the game, and the kind of book-long chase scene that can
only end by facing down an entire planetary government. Sheckley and
Laumer would have been proud.

Monette, Sarah -- The Bone Key

Set of short stories about a socially short-circuited nerd working in
a museum. Ghosts, demons, and the rest of the pulp-horror panoply
occur. This is Lovecraft pastiche (and pastiche of the rest of that
period); it works because it digs into the neurosis/trauma/sexual
wellspring that the original pulp writers couldn't name out loud.

MacLeod, Ken -- Newton's Wake

Accidental re-read -- I forgot I owned the hardcover. (Sorry, Ken.)
Amusing, though not world-changing, first-contact story in a galaxy
littered with posthuman remnant tech, being scavenged and used by
everyone in sight. Including the contactors and the contactees, in
non-identical ways. Details of politics, fashion, and culture
(folk-singers! *Bad* folk-singers!) ring true in the presence of life
extension and mind-storage. Also, not part of a series, which I
appreciate.

Moore, Alan; O'Neill, Kevin -- The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen: Black Dossier

Graphic novel follows the conceit of the first two -- pulling together
zillions of old story premises into a patchwork history -- but drawing
from the early to mid-20th century. Orwell, Wolfe, pulp adventure,
James Bond, and a vast array of others. Most of it was lost on me; I
was a lot better at the original League books (Stoker, Stevenson,
Verne) than on pre-war British comic strips. You may wish to seek out
a hint book. The strikes that I did register were clever.

---- december 2007

Valente, Catherynne M. -- In the Night Garden

Dizzying -- well, it's not a novel, it's a collection of -- no, it's
not a collection of stories; it's not even a cycle of stories. (It's a
tree of stories, says the inner geek.) A young outcast girl lives in
the palace garden; she was born with stories tattooed across her face.
A boy creeps outside to listen to her. She tells a story about a
prince, who meets a witch, who tells the story of her grandmother, who
once learned a story... and so on. It's nested, not an infinite
regress; we jump up and down, over and over again. Some stories span
many pages, wrapped around the stories inside them; some are only a
page or a paragraph. None are related, until the connections start to
appear -- a familiar name here, a returning character there -- not
always consistently.

Maybe this is what Hal Duncan was aiming at. If so, Valente gets it
right. These are not fragments, but stories, each one sparkling, each
with a teller and a beginning and an end (or as much of an end as some
stories get). As with _Ink_, I had trouble keeping track of the
overall structure. (In fact, I found it hard to read the volume in
long takes; I broke it up with other books.) Unlike with _Ink_, this
didn't hurt the reading a bit. Nothing is incomplete if you forget a
name or a role. The inner geek wants to diagram and hyperlink the lot,
and I imagine somebody's inner geek already has. But it's not
necessary.

Imaginative; colorful; dense with unexpected words; full of tales from
all over the map, fairy tales to Scheherazade to fanciful Roman
zoology, all twisted into spirals and set loose on each other. A
second volume has been published, which I will devour after another
break.

Wilson, F. Paul -- The Tomb

First of the Repairman Jack series about which I've been hearing for
years. Man attempts to live outside society in New York, fixing
injustices for cash (or exacting revenge for hire, depending on which
side of the transaction you're on). He runs into other things that
live outside society, namely a nest of millenia-old demons. This book
predates the modern urban-fantasy-horror genre, and feels it -- Jack
is not caught between the mundane world and the magical, but between
his weird quasi-Batman world and the magical. (Or, to put the
distinction more directly: he has exactly one friend -- his weapons
dealer -- and not a network of cops and coroners and allied vampires.
Mind you, Wilson restarted the series in the mid-90s, so maybe that
changes.) Anyhow, it's a good read, and now I have to find more Wilson
in original publication order.

Whittemore, Edward -- Quin's Shanghai Circus

The only Whittemore novel I didn't already have. This meanders across
pre-and-post-war Japan in the same way that the Sinai Quartet does the
Middle East. I've already described Whittemore as "there is nothing
else like him", and this remains true.

This was Whittemore's first novel, and it has a perceptibly different
tone than the Quartet: darker, proffering human love and cruelty and
compassion and madness in equal measure. (Not that the later books are
free of cruelty and madness -- the atrocities at Smyrna are one pole
of that narrative, as Nanjing is of this one -- but the Quartet is
much more about love and compassion in the face of a world which
includes cruelty and madness.)

_Quin's Shanghai Circus_ is, nonetheless, full of wonderful things,
wonderful people, drunks, pornography, saints, buddhas, a man with a
wasabi habit, spies, circuses, mothers, and things shoved up people's
butts, all in a wild tangle of storylines that cross decades. Nothing
else is like this.

Francis, Diana Pharaoh -- Path of Fate

Young healer is drawn into a war, gets magical telepathic bird
companion. I was prepared to approve of this book for showing a
society with healing as a *non*-mystical profession -- no magical
healing, but a tradition of herb knowledge and antisepsis, with
apprenticeships and social support for people with this valuable
training. The magical animal companions are a separate thing. They
come to people meant to handle law and justice, but it's still up to
the humans to *decide* justice; they get no magical support other than
a link to a potentially useful scout animal.

Anyway, I was all pleased about solidly human-centered magic-animal
fantasy, and half a chapter later the protagonist gets magical healing
abilities. At this point the floor drops out of the narrative. Her
biggest problem turns out to be whether the Goddess will give her
superpowers fast enough to deal with the ostensible crisis (a
political kidnapping). Feh.

Reaves, Michael; Bohnhoff, Maya Kaathryn -- Mr. Twilight

Oddly contrastable to _Blood Engines_. A dude with serious magical
mojo and a closet full of backstory: years of training at a magical
academy (Hogwarts it ain't), a sweetheart lost escaping the place, a
mansion with secrets, powerful artifacts, an angel and a demon who
drop by to offer inscrutable aid. But this time it all works, because
all these elements fall into the plot, one at a time. Again, there may
be a bunch of stories written about this stuff, but *this* one can be
read as the start of a series.

Plus, it's in the fandom of pulp horror fandom; the story concerns the
legacy of a writer, a (fictional) member of the Lovecraft/Derleth/Lin
Carter/etc circle. The writers are clearly fond of All That Stuff, and it
comes across.

Morningstar, Jason -- The Shab-al-Hiri Roach

Small RPG: players are faculty in a Miskatonic-oid college, and half
of them are infested by a mind-controlling cockroach from the depths
of time. Everyone is tussling for status points, but you have to *not*
be a roach slave at the end of the game. The catch is that the
cockroach gives you a fat bonus on your status rolls.

The game is structured by a deck of cards, which everyone gets to draw
from periodically. The free-willed draw opportunities to forward their
schemes for tenure or revenge or whatever; the roach-ridden draw
random maniacal commands. You can draw the roach, or the opportunity
to free your mind (this costs, of course). The setup ensures that you
don't have any real hope of long-term planning -- if you avoid the
other schemers and the chaotic fallout of the roach commands, you're
just as likely to be roached yourself. So, enjoy the free-for-all.
Should be good for a session or two of evil hilarity.

Berg, Carol -- Breath and Bone
Bear, Elizabeth -- Dust
Mieville, China -- Looking for Jake
Williams, Sean -- Saturn Returns

Currently in my to-read pile. See? I meant it about the Berg.

--Z

*
9/11 did change everything. Since 9/12, the biggest threat to American
society has been the American president. I'd call that a change.

William December Starr

Jan 6, 2008, 11:53:36 PM1/6/08
In article <flrrgk$lre$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> said:

> Kay, Guy Gavriel -- Ysabel
>
> Kid meets intense mythic avatars from the dawn of et cetera.
> Present-day setting, and brings in some characters from Kay's
> early Fionavar trilogy. This bothered some people who remembered
> anything about Fionavar. It didn't bother me, but in retrospect
> those characters were a distraction from the plot. But then maybe
> the plot needed distraction. Without Kay's usual layerings of
> historic detail, the intense mythic avatars kind of came off as
> twits.

Are you certain that that was unintentional? Maybe they really
were twits.

[ *snip* ]

> Reynolds, Alastair -- Galactic North
>
> Collection of stories in the "Revelation Space" universe.
> Considerably more bitter and depressing than the _Zima Blue_
> collection. I guess it's just a downer of a universe.

Glad I'm not the only one who felt that way. (I wonder if
Reynolds does?)

[ *snip* ]

> Ford, John M. -- The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History
>
> Fantasy Masterworks edition, which I picked up to compare to my
> old paperback. (Some typos were corrected; others not.) Resource
> for the _Dragon Waiting_ concordance that I put online in
> September. You read my concordance, right?

Don't take this the wrong way, but no. I figure it's some other
country's history and lore and therefore their problem and not mine.
(I approach most Arthurian stuff the same way: wasn't one of the
terms of the Treaty of Paris that no citizen of the former colonies
shall be obliged to care about any of that gunk?)

--
William December Starr <wds...@panix.com>

DouhetSukd

Jan 7, 2008, 12:32:14 AM1/7/08
On Jan 6, 4:24 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> Reynolds, Alastair -- Zima Blue and Other Stories
>
> Some of Reynolds's best stuff. These stories are not set in his
> "Revelation Space" universe. This makes them less depressing.

Txs. Will have to read it then. Reynolds is very very good, but
unfortunately couldn't trim his novels' page count if his life
depended on it. Short stories kinda force him to stick to the point -
Diamond Dogs was great.

> Lukyanenko, Sergei -- Night Watch
>
> Urban fantasy from Moscow, where the natural evolution of
> light-vs-dark is the business-as-usual milieu of
> barely-distinguishable corrupt government and crime mob. Light
> magicians and sorcerers are bogged down in a permanent
> standoff-and-treaty with Dark vampires and witches -- with countless
> deals, alliances, rivalries, and friendships running across the line,
> at every level from the petty to the top. Charming and tricksy. Also
> made a great movie.

I absolutely loved the movies and am now just about finishing up Night
Watch, the book. They are very different beasts, the books and the
movies, but they both work well. Will post a review. Will probably
buy the movies (after renting) and book (after library), that's how
much I liked them.

> Kay, Guy Gavriel -- Ysabel
>
> Kid meets intense mythic avatars from the dawn of et cetera.
> Present-day setting, and brings in some characters from Kay's early
> Fionavar trilogy. This bothered some people who remembered anything
> about Fionavar. It didn't bother me, but in retrospect those
> characters were a distraction from the plot. But then maybe the plot
> needed distraction. Without Kay's usual layerings of historic detail,
> the intense mythic avatars kind of came off as twits.

If they came from Fionavar, they have to be twits. That series must
be some of the worst fantasy I have ever read and I have generally low
expectations for that genre. Odd that it came from Kay, who is one of
the best fantasy writers around. I guess it took time for him to
build up his writing skills. What makes Fionavar bad is exactly the
flip side of what makes Lions of Al-Rassan, Last Light of the Sun and
the Sarantium books great. As good as the world building,
characterization and decisional plots twists can get in his later
books, they are sublimely lacking in Fionavar (which were among his
first books).

Maybe what Kay really needed was the scaffolding of the quasi-European
early middle ages that he uses in those later books. The quasi-
Tolkien in Fionavar was fetid quicksand instead (and cliche to boot).
Ugh.

Douhet-did-suck

Aaron Bergman

Jan 7, 2008, 2:33:15 AM1/7/08
In article <flrrgk$lre$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

> Richardson, Kat -- Greywalker
>
> Private detective learns to see ghosts. Good idea for a series (I
> mean, if you've already decided to cash in on the supernatural-romance
> sweatshop) but the writing failed to carry it. The pacing seemed all
> wrong; I had no sense of what the protagonist cared about or worried
> about. Also, her helpful magic buddy and convenient boyfriend were
> both too convenient and helpful for any tension. Will not read sequel.

I had a similar reaction to you for this one, but the second is better.
I'm not sure exactly why it works, but it does. I'll try to collect my
thoughts a bit better when I do my one of these things.

> McGarry, Terry -- Triad
>
> Conclusion of a trilogy which started with a familiar "young
> misunderstood wizard runs away from home" plot, and got progressively
> more peculiar. I don't think this one is very successful, but at least
> it fails at something distinctive. The various narrators (at least one
> of whom is insane) try to deal with all the magical catastrophes that
> have befallen their wonderful magical homeland. Including the
> catastrophes from ancient history that led to (what we thought was)
> the original status quo. The result is a bit too tidy, considering its
> magnitude, but you can't fault its ambition.

I bounced off this in a big way. Perhaps I just wasn't putting any
effort into it, but I wasn't getting any feel for what was going on.
Maybe I'll give it another shot some time.

> Moriarty, Chris -- Spin Control
>
> Sequel to that coal-mines-in-space novel from a few years ago.

There was a sequel? Completely missed that.

> Rawn, Melanie -- Spellbinder
>
> You were wondering what I have against romance novels? Books like
> this, that's what I have against romance novels.

I liked this book even less than you did. Bad enough that it made me
wonder if my good memories of Rawn's old stuff were horribly misguided
reflections of my own immaturity or some such.

[...]

> Pratt, T. A. -- Blood Engines
>
> Urban fantasy which fails in ways that are more interesting to me than
> the book itself. The protagonist would be the Evil Overlady in any
> other book. She is power-hungry, selfish, vengeful; she secretly rules
> Nameless East-Coast City(*) with an iron claw; she mind-rapes mundanes
> without a hint of restraint (she's proud to have the entire Nameless
> City police force as her puppets); she never lifts a finger for anyone
> (including her allies and servants) unless she's bored or feels like
> convincing herself that she's the good guy. This would be a fantastic
> setup, except that I don't think Pratt *knows* his character is a
> monster. I think she's supposed to come off as bitchy-but-charming.
> Certainly the book doesn't hint that she's got any justice coming to
> her.

I tend to think that meeting the nice sorcerer was supposed to show that
Pratt understood the assholery of his (?) protagonist, but it was really
hard to get around that assholery and the fawningness of her
servant/companion/whatever.

> Buckell, Tobias S. -- Crystal Rain
>
> I kept hearing that Buckell was the new awesome. Turns out he is.

The sequel is better.

Aaron

David Goldfarb

Jan 7, 2008, 7:18:04 AM1/7/08
In article <flrrgk$lre$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
>Only a few days late...

Wow, there was very little overlap between our reading last year.

>Duncan, Dave -- The Alchemist's Apprentice
>
>(Not the same Duncan!) Smartass kid in Renaissance Venice runs errands
>for his grumpy master Nostradamus. (Not the same Nostradamus!) Because
>it is Venice, politics occurs, thence rooftop chases, duels,
>poisonings, amorous assignations, demons, and more politics.
>Thoroughly fun.

I read this while in the middle of reading Euripides' _The Bacchae_,
so I found the bit of plot revolving around the last surviving manuscript
of one of his plays to have extra resonance.

I seem to recall there's a sequel coming out soon.

>Ford, John M. -- The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History

>You read my concordance, right?

Well, no, but I really strongly hope to get to it this year.

>Bear, Elizabeth -- Whiskey and Water
>
>Sequel to mythology-bouillabaise fantasy free-for-all. This one has,
>among everything else that goes on, Kit Marlowe squaring off against
>the Devil. (A Devil. Didn't you hear, they come in six-packs?) _Blood
>and Iron_ was a roller-coaster ride but this one seems more of a
>meander -- less momentum and less direction.

_Blood and Iron_ was weird for me, because I kept looking at it and
going "Why aren't I more involved in this?" It had all kinds of tropes
that I really like but it just somehow didn't engage me. I haven't
read this sequel and, honestly, probably won't.

>Bull, Emma -- Territory
>
>A retelling of the Matter of Tombstone (the author's term, not mine).
>The primary viewpoints are original characters -- a widowed newspaper
>reporter and a wanderer with a knack for magic -- but nearly equal
>weight is given to Doc Holliday and his girlfriend Kate Elder.

Bull is just a little too free with the assumption that people know
about the Gunfight and its participants. In particular, in an early
chapter a character is introduced simply as "Morgan", and to make sense of
what's going on you *need* to know that he is Morgan *Earp*, Wyatt's
brother. Never having been a fan of Westerns, I had to resort to
Wikipedia.

>Monette, Sarah -- The Mirador
>
>Third in four-book sequence with the best narrator voices in current
>fantasy.

Hmm, you may have just moved _Melusine_ up in my "to-read" queue.
(Of course, I recall you highly praising _Blood and Iron_, too,
so clearly our taste varies.)

--
David Goldfarb |"We were walking backwards because if we walked
gold...@ocf.berkeley.edu | forwards our eyeballs would freeze."

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 7, 2008, 9:08:42 AM1/7/08
Here, William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
> In article <flrrgk$lre$1...@reader2.panix.com>,
> Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> said:
>
> > Kay, Guy Gavriel -- Ysabel
> >
> > Kid meets intense mythic avatars from the dawn of et cetera.
> > Present-day setting, and brings in some characters from Kay's
> > early Fionavar trilogy. This bothered some people who remembered
> > anything about Fionavar. It didn't bother me, but in retrospect
> > those characters were a distraction from the plot. But then maybe
> > the plot needed distraction. Without Kay's usual layerings of
> > historic detail, the intense mythic avatars kind of came off as
> > twits.
>
> Are you certain that that was unintentional? Maybe they really
> were twits.

I'm pretty sure he wanted them to be sympathetic twits, if so. He
didn't completely fail, but the balance seemed wrong.

> > Ford, John M. -- The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History
> >
> > Fantasy Masterworks edition, which I picked up to compare to my
> > old paperback. (Some typos were corrected; others not.) Resource
> > for the _Dragon Waiting_ concordance that I put online in
> > September. You read my concordance, right?
>
> Don't take this the wrong way, but no. I figure it's some other
> country's history and lore and therefore their problem and not mine.

Other country? Oh, England. (I assume, as opposed to Scotland, Wales,
Florence, Milan, France (take your pick), Byzantium, Greece, Egypt, or
any of the other historic threads in the book.)

I didn't do the work to learn history -- although that was an outcome;
I did it in order to learn more about Ford's novel.

--Z

*

Bush's biggest lie is his claim that it's okay to disagree with him. As soon as
you *actually* disagree with him, he sadly explains that you're undermining
America, that you're giving comfort to the enemy. That you need to be silent.

Howard

Jan 7, 2008, 9:26:35 AM1/7/08
On Jan 7, 1:33 am, Aaron Bergman <aberg...@physics.utexas.edu> wrote:

> > Buckell, Tobias S. -- Crystal Rain
>
> > I kept hearing that Buckell was the new awesome. Turns out he is.
>
> The sequel is better.

Agreed, which is something since I really loved Crystal Rain. Buckell
is the findof the year for my reading. The third book is already in
the pipeline.

Howard

Jan 7, 2008, 9:29:35 AM1/7/08
On Jan 6, 6:24 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> Gentle, Mary -- Ilario: The Lion's Eye
>
> Standalone novel set in Gentle's "Ash" alternate history. I say this
> is her best novel; the plot is coherent (not *tight*, but plenty of
> momentum). It rebounds between political intrigue (petty and dirty,
> not world-spanning) and the wonders of Gentle's mad setting, while
> remaining tightly focussed on themes of family and gender. In every
> combination -- the protagonist is a (true) hermaphrodite, and the
> story only more complicated from there. And unlike Gentle's usual take
> on family, it's not *unremittingly* bitter. (Note: currently in print
> in the US, but divided into two volumes confusingly titled "The Lion's
> Eye" and "The Stone Golem". I read the UK edition.)

I loved both 1610 and Ash, but did think that this was even better.

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 7, 2008, 2:49:22 PM1/7/08
Here, DouhetSukd <Douhe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 6, 4:24 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
>
> > Kay, Guy Gavriel -- Ysabel
> >
> > Kid meets intense mythic avatars from the dawn of et cetera.
> > Present-day setting, and brings in some characters from Kay's early
> > Fionavar trilogy. This bothered some people who remembered anything
> > about Fionavar. It didn't bother me, but in retrospect those
> > characters were a distraction from the plot. But then maybe the plot
> > needed distraction. Without Kay's usual layerings of historic detail,
> > the intense mythic avatars kind of came off as twits.
> >

> If they came from Fionavar, they have to be twits.

They actually didn't -- I phrased that badly. The story is focussed on
three characters from our own history, who keep reincarnating. The
book is set in the present, so we don't see any of their history
first-person.

The Fionavar characters who show up are different -- it's Kim and, um,
now I forget. They're adults now, they've had some life go past. Quite
possibly Kay felt that he wanted to show them that way; I think
everybody agrees that the Fionavar trilogy is "early work".

--Z

*

Just because you vote for the Republicans, doesn't mean they let you be one.

DouhetSukd

Jan 7, 2008, 4:09:12 PM1/7/08
On Jan 7, 11:49 am, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> Here, DouhetSukd <DouhetS...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 6, 4:24 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
>
> > > Kay, Guy Gavriel -- Ysabel
>
> > > Kid meets intense mythic avatars from the dawn of et cetera.
> > > Present-day setting, and brings in some characters from Kay's early
> > > Fionavar trilogy. This bothered some people who remembered anything
> > > about Fionavar. It didn't bother me, but in retrospect those
> > > characters were a distraction from the plot. But then maybe the plot
> > > needed distraction. Without Kay's usual layerings of historic detail,
> > > the intense mythic avatars kind of came off as twits.
>
> > If they came from Fionavar, they have to be twits.
>
> They actually didn't -- I phrased that badly. The story is focussed on
> three characters from our own history, who keep reincarnating. The
> book is set in the present, so we don't see any of their history
> first-person.
>
> The Fionavar characters who show up are different -- it's Kim and, um,
> now I forget. They're adults now, they've had some life go past. Quite
> possibly Kay felt that he wanted to show them that way; I think
> everybody agrees that the Fionavar trilogy is "early work".

Maybe you did phrase badly, but I had somehow (correctly) assumed that
you meant one of the 5 "moderns" in Fionavar.

The majority on rasw might agree that Fionavar is early work. But not
on Amazon where it gets lots of 5 star reviews, averaging to 4.

Out of 144:

72 *****
25 ****
20 ***
13 **
14 *

I feel that this does Kay a great disservice, especially as I usually
trust Amazon reviews. There is no shame in him having written a
shabby set of books when he first started out. Though you seem to
have mixed feelings about Ysabel, which I haven't read.

There is a problem if people read Fionavar, hate it, and then assume
that his later books are just as bad. He is one of the few fantasy
authors I really like, precisely because he can write non-formulaic
stuff.

In fact, I would pretty much disregard anyone's recommendations about
any books if they gave Fionavar a really good rating. I like the idea
of _good_ fantasy, but there is a huge amount of dreck out there.
Clearly, many people like it, because fantasy sells well. As Fionavar
is filled with some of the worst elves-fighting-dark-lord cliches I
have ever read, anyone really liking it has very questionable
mainstream fantasy taste and their reviews > /dev/null , IMHO.

So, clarification requested: did you generally like Ysabel or not?
Because of the twits or because Kay just doesn't do a novel set in
modern times very well?

Cheers

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 7, 2008, 4:22:41 PM1/7/08
Here, DouhetSukd <Douhe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> So, clarification requested: did you generally like Ysabel or not?
> Because of the twits or because Kay just doesn't do a novel set in
> modern times very well?

I generally liked it, but I liked any of his historic-period novels
much more.

I read Fionavar so long ago that I don't have a real opinion of them,
in comparison to his other books. I didn't react strongly to them.
(Whereas when I first read _Tigana_, I was awestruck the whole way
through.)

When I said Fionavar was "early work", that wasn't a euphemism for
"terrible". More a matter of, for example, I'll forgive an author for
using Tolkien's elves and dwarves and wizards in his first novel...
well, in the mid-80s, anyhow. (Today, less forgiveable.)

--Z

*

If the Bush administration hasn't shipped you to Syria for interrogation, it's
for one reason: they don't feel like it. Not because you're innocent.

Gene Ward Smith

Jan 7, 2008, 4:32:18 PM1/7/08
On Jan 7, 1:22 pm, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:

> More a matter of, for example, I'll forgive an author for
> using Tolkien's elves and dwarves and wizards in his first novel...
> well, in the mid-80s, anyhow. (Today, less forgiveable.)

Good point; these days, you should use D&D elves and dwarves in your
first novel.

Thomas Lindgren

Jan 7, 2008, 4:59:23 PM1/7/08

DouhetSukd <Douhe...@gmail.com> writes:

> In fact, I would pretty much disregard anyone's recommendations about
> any books if they gave Fionavar a really good rating. I like the idea
> of _good_ fantasy, but there is a huge amount of dreck out there.
> Clearly, many people like it, because fantasy sells well. As Fionavar
> is filled with some of the worst elves-fighting-dark-lord cliches I
> have ever read, anyone really liking it has very questionable
> mainstream fantasy taste and their reviews > /dev/null , IMHO.

I have to confess I thought Fionavar was a great version of the
classic old done-to-death epic fantasy. Granted, it has been a while
since I read it, the flames of my ardour may have cooled on
reexamination, and it might really fit better as YA ... but even in my
then jaded ennui it took hold of me in a way that most epic fantasy or
Kay's subsequent work -- excluding TIGANA -- has not.

Best,
Thomas

Rich Horton

Jan 7, 2008, 9:02:54 PM1/7/08
On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 00:24:52 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Plotkin
<erky...@eblong.com> wrote:

>Duncan, Hal -- Ink
>
>Followup to the deeply confusing, vivid, and authorially gymnastic
>_Vellum_, about which I was ambivalent. I'm afraid I fell off the
>wrong side of ambivalent with this one. Duncan is juggling a whole
>nest of analogous characters in different settings, trying to spread a
>gestalt story across their fragments, but I couldn't get a hold on it.
>So I read a bunch of fragments about characters with similar names.
>Some of them were really well-written fragments; I hope Duncan writes
>a novel next.

Perhaps oddly, Abigail Nussbaum came to the exact opposite conclusion
-- she was ambivalent about Vellum, but felt Ink redeemed it.

I haven't read them, and likely won't. (SMBSLT) But every Duncan story
I have read has been gorgeously written -- well, gorgeously
OVER-written -- and made no goddamn sense at all.

>Kenyon, Kay -- Bright of the Sky
>
>Beginning of a series set alternately in a future Galactic
>civilization and an artificial universe/habitat -- the Biggest of all
>Dumb Objects. Random human fell into the Bright during a wee
>hyperdrive accident, spent years there, and then somehow returned. His
>convenient amnesia gives the author a book's worth a plot which is
>completely unengaging; rather than an introduction to the Bright, it
>feels like reading the Cliff's Notes(*) stretched out over hundreds of
>pages. Also, everyone there is culturally required to be a jerk.
>
>(* Note for modern reader: Wikipedia entry.)

I agree completely, and I note that there is something more satisfying
about reading negative reviews with which you agree than praise with
which you agree. I suppose it has something to do with confirming that
I wasn't wrong when I read the book and said "there's no there there".

>Lynch, Scott -- Red Seas Under Red Skies
>
>Con men masquerading as pirates! *Could not be better.* Well, actually
>it could, a bit; this was about one-and-a-half plots worth of book,
>and the con got short-changed. Nonetheless, pure entertainment. Begins
>with a bald-faced cliff-hanger of a flash-forward, and finishes with a
>bald-faced cliff-hanger of an ending -- I can't remember the last
>author I found who was so *gleeful* about his storytelling. (Mind you,
>when we got to the flash-forward point for the second time and Lynch
>*repeated the cliffhanger gimmick*, he tripped over his clown shoes.
>No doughnut for that page.)

Now here I disagree -- the book just seemed a bit flat to me. Nothing
was NEW enough. In particular, the con was a great disappointment. The
pirate stuff was fun though.

>Smith, Sherwood -- The Fox
>
>More pirates! Yes, *pirates!* are the theme of 2007. Although this
>series is really all politics -- four or five different threads
>developing across the continent, all in more or less complete
>ignorance of each other, as the reader covers his eyes and waits for
>the oncoming landslide. (Hopefully next book -- if the series goes on
>any longer I won't be able to keep track of it all.) Good stuff.

I'm glad someone else is noticing these! They are great fun, and they
just seem to be going under the radar, a terrible injustice.

Felport.

I asked Tim why (spoiler) he didn't end the book in reverse, sort of,
so that ... well, spoiler -- but I thought maybe Marla would end up in
a different place, if you see what I mean.

I think Tim knows Marla is flawed, mind you, but not so flawed as you
describe.

One story that tells a bit of backstory, maybe, appears in the SOLARIS
BOOK OF NEW FANTASY. I haven't seen any other Marla Maples stories.

>Buckell, Tobias S. -- Crystal Rain
>
>I kept hearing that Buckell was the new awesome. Turns out he is. A
>human colony is beset by war, an Aztec-model blood-hungry religion
>coming over the Wicked High Mountains. (That's what they're really
>called, and I pretty much bought the book right there.) We quickly run
>into hints of an alien invasion, centuries ago, which was blocked when
>the human starship captains intentionally fried most of the tech in
>the system, including the wormhole gate. The surviving
>Caribbean-paradise civilization is warped around the remaining aliens
>(playing gods) and the few old-timer humans whose nanotech is still
>ticking. The aliens are winning, but there might be a surviving
>starship... Good old-fashioned lost-starship chase plus land war with
>alien demon-gods. Read it.

Ragamuffin, the sequel, is better still.

I've read only the second volume, and it utterly awesome -- as good as
you have described the first book.

Konrad Gaertner

Jan 7, 2008, 9:09:56 PM1/7/08
Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> Richardson, Kat -- Greywalker
>
> Also, her helpful magic buddy and convenient boyfriend were
> both too convenient and helpful for any tension. Will not read sequel.

Both of these are less of an issue in the sequel.

> Briggs, Patricia -- Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson, book 2)
>
> More shapechanging mechanic. This swerves sharply towards the median:
> our heroine is torn between her werewolf boyfriend and her human
> boyfriend, or was it vampire boyfriend? Or a second werewolf? I now
> have the plot confused with, oh, about three other series, and whose
> fault is that? Still readable.

According to her FAQ, her contract requires her heoine to have a
"complicated love life". However, she does make a decision on that
issue in book three.

> Marks, Laurie J. -- Water Logic
>

> In fact _Water Logic_ is not my favorite of the series so far; it's
> a time-travel plot, which is not handled particularly deeply.

But it's also not handled as badly as time travel plots usually are.
Another author I wish could write faster.

> Berg, Carol -- Flesh and Spirit
>

> Despite my description, the guy is quite a
> sympathetic character (it helps that his family is not). He stumbles
> across a plot to save the world -- via librarians, always a win for me
> -- and everything gets more complicated from there. Magic, scary
> elf/nature-spirits, mysterious Dark Lord, and I've just talked myself
> into reading the sequel next.

And talked me into getting this from the library, even though I
wasn't impressed by the start of her fantasy trilogy (Bridge to
something).

> Vaughn, Carrie -- Kitty Goes to Washington
>
> Sequel to werewolf talk-show book. This one is exactly what the title
> says: werewolf testifies before Congress. It's nice to see the
> politics playing out, but the plot goes in a TV-thriller direction,
> with TV-thriller levels of plausibility. (Evil politician tortures
> hero in front of live cameras!) I am unenthused about continuing to
> read these.

The good news is that the third book doesn't have any politics; the
bad news is that she doesn't do any radio shows either, which is the
best part of the series. The fourth book is closer to the first.

> Williams, Liz -- Precious Dragon
>
> Series continues strong. Inspector Detective Chen is back in the
> driver's seat.

I want to read this, but the libraries don't have it and I don't
quite like them enough to pay... Oh! there are massmarket editions
now. Maybe I will buy it after all.

> Sagara, Michelle -- Cast in Shadow
> Sagara, Michelle -- Cast in Courtlight
>

> Girl is a rookie cop in a
> multi-species city -- elves, cat-people, hawk-people, others -- with
> plenty of mysterious wizard lords and such to spice up the mix. Plus
> she's a healer. Many a fantasy series has collapsed into sappy woo-woo
> with such a premise, but this one is pleasantly hard-headed: magical
> healing powers mean nobody *ever* lets you get a decent *night's
> sleep*.

I like to call these inverted Mary Sue: this universe does revolve
around her, but in really unpleasant ways.

> Wilce, Ysabeau S. -- Flora Segunda
>
> "Being the Magickal Mishaps of a Girl of Spirit, Her Glass-Gazing
> Sidekick, Two Ominous Butlers (One Blue), a House with Eleven Thousand
> Rooms, and a Red Dog." That's the subtitle, and now you know whether
> you need to read it.

Actually, no I don't. I may try an excerpt.

> Wilson, F. Paul -- The Tomb
>

> (Or, to put the
> distinction more directly: he has exactly one friend -- his weapons
> dealer -- and not a network of cops and coroners and allied vampires.
> Mind you, Wilson restarted the series in the mid-90s, so maybe that
> changes.)

Not really; he now has Gia and Vicky for moral support, but otherwise
he's still alone (except for Abe). We do meet the rest of his family,
but only briefly.

> Anyhow, it's a good read, and now I have to find more Wilson
> in original publication order.

That may not be wise; Wilson is planning on (or maybe already has)
rewriting _Nightworld_ to reflect the fact that there are more than
one Repairman Jack books.

--
Konrad Gaertner - - - - - - - - - - - - - email: kgae...@tx.rr.com
http://kgbooklog.livejournal.com/

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 7, 2008, 10:57:02 PM1/7/08
Here, Rich Horton <rrho...@prodigy.net> wrote:

> [...] and I note that there is something more satisfying

> about reading negative reviews with which you agree than praise with
> which you agree. I suppose it has something to do with confirming that
> I wasn't wrong when I read the book and said "there's no there there".

I think it's just the limbic pleasure of ganging up with another
monkey to throw crap at a third monkey -- preferably, a small weak
one. I'm not proud of enjoying it, but it doesn't stop me.

> >Valente, Catherynne M. -- In the Night Garden
>

> I've read only the second volume, and it utterly awesome -- as good as
> you have described the first book.

I should note that Valente did some reading tours (for the first book,
and again for the second). They were really fantastic. She
collaborated with musician S.J. Tucker, so each one was a full evening
of stories and songs from the story-universe. Plus belly-dancing. By
the second tour, they also had a large display of art inspired by the
books -- quilts, sculptures. It all kicked ass.

You missed them. I am telling you this out of cruelty.

But you can buy CDs. <http://www.skinnywhitechick.com/merch.php>

> >Pratt, T. A. -- Blood Engines
>

> I asked Tim why (spoiler) he didn't end the book in reverse, sort of,
> so that ... well, spoiler -- but I thought maybe Marla would end up in
> a different place, if you see what I mean.

I do. That ending would have worked. I think the author's ending
worked reasonably well, mind you.

The ending I predicted (before I got there) was completely different:

REAL SPOILER

Challenger completes her "you don't exist" spell during the hours that
Marla *doesn't* exist -- she's out-of-ambit in the alternate San
Francisco. Rebound! (Maybe Challenger specified that her target was
the top sorcerer of Felport, which by default was *her*...) Marla
returns and finds herself forgetting Challenger ever existed.

It would have been funny. It wouldn't have been a *good* ending, by
itself.

--Z

*

Making a saint out of Reagan is sad. Making an idol out of Nixon ("If the
President does it then it's legal") is contemptible.

Howard

Jan 8, 2008, 9:20:08 AM1/8/08
On Jan 7, 8:09 pm, Konrad Gaertner <kgaert...@tx.rr.com> wrote:

> That may not be wise; Wilson is planning on (or maybe already has)
> rewriting _Nightworld_ to reflect the fact that there are more than
> one Repairman Jack books.

I've not heard this...I still haven't read the original version of
Nightworld.

Paul Clarke

Jan 8, 2008, 2:50:44 PM1/8/08
On 7 Jan, 19:49, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> The Fionavar characters who show up are different -- it's Kim and, um,
> now I forget.

Paul? (Hey, a character name I can remember! I wonder why ...) I think
there's only one other possibility: the law student/basketball player
whose name I can't remember.

Paul Clarke

Jan 8, 2008, 2:53:43 PM1/8/08
On 7 Jan, 21:22, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> When I said Fionavar was "early work", that wasn't a euphemism for
> "terrible". More a matter of, for example, I'll forgive an author for
> using Tolkien's elves and dwarves and wizards in his first novel...
> well, in the mid-80s, anyhow. (Today, less forgiveable.)

ISTR Kay saying he wrote Fionavar as an attempt to take a Tolkienesque
fantasy and add the things that Tolkien left out: sex, strong women,
death of characters who still had much to live for.

Dan Blum

Jan 8, 2008, 8:24:27 PM1/8/08

It's Dave.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

William December Starr

Jan 9, 2008, 3:47:55 PM1/9/08
In article <65496907-7a21-4cbc...@i3g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
DouhetSukd <Douhe...@gmail.com> said:

> In fact, I would pretty much disregard anyone's recommendations
> about any books if they gave Fionavar a really good rating.

[ Insert sound of very loud raspberry here. ]

David DeLaney

Jan 9, 2008, 5:13:05 PM1/9/08
On 9 Jan 2008 15:47:55 -0500, William December Starr <wds...@panix.com> wrote:
>DouhetSukd <Douhe...@gmail.com> said:
>> In fact, I would pretty much disregard anyone's recommendations
>> about any books if they gave Fionavar a really good rating.
>
>[ Insert sound of very loud raspberry here. ]

I _liked_ Fionavar. A lot. It may have technical writing issues, or motivation
issues, but it is chock-full, for me, of sensawunda.

Dave "I have not yet found a Kay that I dislike, though many of the rest are
rather lower-key and the effect takes some time to build" DeLaney
--
\/David DeLaney posting from d...@vic.com "It's not the pot that grows the flower

Paul Clarke

Jan 10, 2008, 7:46:45 AM1/10/08
On 9 Jan, 01:24, t...@panix.com (Dan Blum) wrote:

> Paul Clarke <paul.cla...@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
> > On 7 Jan, 19:49, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> > > The Fionavar characters who show up are different -- it's Kim and, um,
> > > now I forget.
> > Paul? (Hey, a character name I can remember! I wonder why ...) I think
> > there's only one other possibility: the law student/basketball player
> > whose name I can't remember.
>
> It's Dave.

Thanks. I did eventually remember it myself by working backwards from
"Davor".

Paul Clarke

Jan 11, 2008, 2:46:46 PM1/11/08
On 7 Jan, 00:24, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
> Richardson, Kat -- Greywalker
>
> Private detective learns to see ghosts. Good idea for a series (I
> mean, if you've already decided to cash in on the supernatural-romance
> sweatshop) but the writing failed to carry it. The pacing seemed all
> wrong; I had no sense of what the protagonist cared about or worried
> about. Also, her helpful magic buddy and convenient boyfriend were
> both too convenient and helpful for any tension. Will not read sequel.

I felt this would have benefited from starting later, skipping the
initial assault, the helpful doctor, and the helpful infodumps from
the helpful professor and helpful witch. Still, I'll probably pick up
the sequel at some point.

> Reynolds, Alastair -- Zima Blue and Other Stories
>
> Some of Reynolds's best stuff. These stories are not set in his
> "Revelation Space" universe. This makes them less depressing.

The title story is certainly one of the more original ones I've read
recently.

> Gentle, Mary -- Ilario: The Lion's Eye
>
> Standalone novel set in Gentle's "Ash" alternate history. I say this
> is her best novel; the plot is coherent (not *tight*, but plenty of
> momentum).

I actually followed the plot on this one, which I can't entirely claim
for _Ash_. On the whole I enjoyed _Ash_ more - it had the advantage of
the setting being fresh, though Alexandria was certainly a worthwhile
addition.

> It rebounds between political intrigue (petty and dirty,
> not world-spanning) and the wonders of Gentle's mad setting, while
> remaining tightly focussed on themes of family and gender. In every
> combination -- the protagonist is a (true) hermaphrodite, and the
> story only more complicated from there. And unlike Gentle's usual take
> on family, it's not *unremittingly* bitter.

"He's a eunuch book-buyer from the court of Alexandria, he/she's an
hermaphrodite artist and former court jester. Together they fight:
assassins sent by his/her family, local Venetian thugs, killer golems,
the political influence of Carthage, ..." I found Ilario's father's
easy acceptance of his hermaphrodite child a little surprising,
though probably necessary to make the plot work.

> Duncan, Hal -- Ink
>
> Followup to the deeply confusing, vivid, and authorially gymnastic
> _Vellum_, about which I was ambivalent. I'm afraid I fell off the
> wrong side of ambivalent with this one. Duncan is juggling a whole
> nest of analogous characters in different settings, trying to spread a
> gestalt story across their fragments, but I couldn't get a hold on it.
> So I read a bunch of fragments about characters with similar names.
> Some of them were really well-written fragments; I hope Duncan writes
> a novel next.

I'm waiting for the paperback of this one, and I'll probably need to
re-read _Vellum_ first to try to get some grasp of what was going on.

> Reynolds, Alastair -- Galactic North
>
> Collection of stories in the "Revelation Space" universe. Considerably
> more bitter and depressing than the _Zima Blue_ collection. I guess
> it's just a downer of a universe.

Between the Inhibitors and the greenfly it's not a terribly cheerful
place, no.

> Morgan, Richard K. -- Woken Furies
>
> Third Takeshi Kovacs novel. This is startlingly well-written for a
> book that passes itself off as gritty techy-action thriller. Kovacs
> tries to deal with his recent past, and then more and more of his
> distant past runs into him. Plotty as heck. More and more story
> threads work into the knot, and every single one is set up, chapters
> and chapters before you realize where it's going. If Morgan can keep
> writing like this, he's going to be famous or something.

Andrew Wheeler once said that he saw Morgan and Neal Asher as almost
indistinguishable, other than politically, but it's always seemed to
that one significant difference is that Morgan is a much better writer
at both the sentence and plot level. (I may be doing Asher an
injustice here as I've only read his first novel.)

_Black Man_ (aka _Thirteen_) keeps up the intricate plotting, but it
doesn't work as well as it did in _Woken Furies_: the main plot twist,
while clever, derailed some of the emotional impact, and Morgan had to
resort to a cliche to get things back on track.

> Ford, John M. -- The Dragon Waiting: A Masque of History
>
> Fantasy Masterworks edition, which I picked up to compare to my old
> paperback. (Some typos were corrected; others not.) Resource for the
> _Dragon Waiting_ concordance that I put online in September. You read
> my concordance, right?

I picked up the same edition. After hearing various people rave about
it for years I'm a little disappointed that I found it more clever
than engaging. And yes, I read your concordance (or parts thereof, at
least).

> Lynch, Scott -- Red Seas Under Red Skies
>
> Con men masquerading as pirates! *Could not be better.* Well, actually
> it could, a bit; this was about one-and-a-half plots worth of book,
> and the con got short-changed. Nonetheless, pure entertainment. Begins
> with a bald-faced cliff-hanger of a flash-forward, and finishes with a
> bald-faced cliff-hanger of an ending -- I can't remember the last
> author I found who was so *gleeful* about his storytelling. (Mind you,
> when we got to the flash-forward point for the second time and Lynch
> *repeated the cliffhanger gimmick*, he tripped over his clown shoes.
> No doughnut for that page.)

I found the flash-forward a bit pointless - I was pretty confident of
how the cliff-hanger would play out, and even more confident on its
second appearance (or third, actually, since it was included as a
taster in _The Lies of Locke Lamora_). And the character with "I'm
going to die" tattooed on their forehead was a bit annoying too.
Still, lots of fun in between.

> Pratchett, Terry -- Making Money
>
> Satisfying but not electrifying sequel to _Going Postal_. Further
> adventures of Moist von Lipwig, petty criminal whose notion of
> self-interest keeps being enlightened by the Patrician. We gain more
> hints of Vetinari's plan for Ankh-Morpork (which has been in play
> since at least _Thud_) and which I really hope gets completed, given
> the recent rotten no-good very bad news about Pratchett's health.

My impression of the von Lipwig books is that the Patrician is
engaging in a bit of succession planning. _Making Money_ didn't grab
me the way _Going Postal_ did - the opposition to Moist and Vetinari
was just too weak to generate much tension.

> MacLeod, Ken -- Newton's Wake
>
> Accidental re-read -- I forgot I owned the hardcover. (Sorry, Ken.)
> Amusing, though not world-changing, first-contact story in a galaxy
> littered with posthuman remnant tech, being scavenged and used by
> everyone in sight. Including the contactors and the contactees, in
> non-identical ways. Details of politics, fashion, and culture
> (folk-singers! *Bad* folk-singers!) ring true in the presence of life
> extension and mind-storage. Also, not part of a series, which I
> appreciate.

"Combat archaeologist" may be my favourite SF job title :-).

Andrew Plotkin

Jan 11, 2008, 5:05:56 PM1/11/08

Particularly since they drive "search engines" -- this being an
enormous tank-like vehicle armored for bear, tiger, and any kind of
post-human tech the builder is worried about.

Some author must have done "combat librarian", though.

Garth Nix had some scenes with combat librarians, but I can't remember
if he used that phrase.

--Z

*

Konrad Gaertner

Jan 11, 2008, 6:32:47 PM1/11/08
Andrew Plotkin wrote:

> Some author must have done "combat librarian", though.
>
> Garth Nix had some scenes with combat librarians, but I can't remember
> if he used that phrase.

No, but one memorable sentence equated "elite mage" with "second
assistant librarian".

John M. Gamble

Jan 11, 2008, 6:40:20 PM1/11/08
In article <fm8p84$2h9$1...@reader2.panix.com>,

>Here, Paul Clarke <paul....@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>> On 7 Jan, 00:24, Andrew Plotkin <erkyr...@eblong.com> wrote:
>>
>> > MacLeod, Ken -- Newton's Wake
>> >
>> > Accidental re-read -- I forgot I owned the hardcover. (Sorry, Ken.)
>> > Amusing, though not world-changing, first-contact story in a galaxy
>> > littered with posthuman remnant tech, being scavenged and used by
>> > everyone in sight. Including the contactors and the contactees, in
>> > non-identical ways. Details of politics, fashion, and culture
>> > (folk-singers! *Bad* folk-singers!) ring true in the presence of life
>> > extension and mind-storage. Also, not part of a series, which I
>> > appreciate.
>>
>> "Combat archaeologist" may be my favourite SF job title :-).
>
>Particularly since they drive "search engines" -- this being an
>enormous tank-like vehicle armored for bear, tiger, and any kind of
>post-human tech the builder is worried about.
>
>Some author must have done "combat librarian", though.

For what it's worth, I find myself consistenly amused by "Rex Libris",
an indy comic book featuring a hard-boiled librarian.

--
-john

February 28 1997: Last day libraries could order catalogue cards
from the Library of Congress.

Mike Schilling

Jan 11, 2008, 7:52:25 PM1/11/08
Konrad Gaertner wrote:
> Andrew Plotkin wrote:
>>
>> Some author must have done "combat librarian", though.
>>
>> Garth Nix had some scenes with combat librarians, but I can't
>> remember if he used that phrase.
>
> No, but one memorable sentence equated "elite mage" with "second
> assistant librarian

Ooook!

David DeLaney

Jan 11, 2008, 8:16:04 PM1/11/08
>Here, Paul Clarke <paul....@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>> "Combat archaeologist" may be my favourite SF job title :-).
>
>Particularly since they drive "search engines" -- this being an
>enormous tank-like vehicle armored for bear, tiger, and any kind of
>post-human tech the builder is worried about.
>
>Some author must have done "combat librarian", though.

That would probably be in McMullen's Greatwinter trilogy? Not sure if that
-exact- wording was used...

Dave "and the Librarian in Pratchett is several times described with an eye to
his advantages in combat over ordinary folks, and enters the fray with a will
when needed" DeLaney

Daniel Silevitch

Jan 11, 2008, 9:11:34 PM1/11/08
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 20:16:04 -0500, David DeLaney <d...@gatekeeper.vic.com> wrote:
> Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> wrote:
>>Here, Paul Clarke <paul....@eu.citrix.com> wrote:
>>> "Combat archaeologist" may be my favourite SF job title :-).
>>
>>Particularly since they drive "search engines" -- this being an
>>enormous tank-like vehicle armored for bear, tiger, and any kind of
>>post-human tech the builder is worried about.
>>
>>Some author must have done "combat librarian", though.
>
> That would probably be in McMullen's Greatwinter trilogy? Not sure if that
> -exact- wording was used...
>
> Dave "and the Librarian in Pratchett is several times described with an eye to
> his advantages in combat over ordinary folks, and enters the fray with a will
> when needed" DeLaney

Paraphrased from memory:
Dean: "Am I the only one who thinks it's inappropriate to have an ape as
a librarian?"
Archchanchellor: "Yes, you are. We've got the only librarian who can rip
someone's arm off with his leg. People respect that."

-dms

Richard Todd

Jan 11, 2008, 11:37:42 PM1/11/08
Andrew Plotkin <erky...@eblong.com> writes:

> Some author must have done "combat librarian", though.

David Drake did, in the Leary/Mundy novels.

Lawrence Watt-Evans

Jan 12, 2008, 12:33:59 AM1/12/08
On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 23:40:20 +0000 (UTC), jga...@ripco.com (John M.
Gamble) wrote:

>For what it's worth, I find myself consistenly amused by "Rex Libris",
>an indy comic book featuring a hard-boiled librarian.

Though perhaps the best part of that series is the silly introductions
by the publisher explaining how the comic book works, and what makes
it different from ordinary comics.

The SEVENTH issue of Helix is now at http://www.helixsf.com