1986 authors - letter 'A'

1 view

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Oct 21, 2001, 10:18:17 AM10/21/01
I hate shift key work because I am a one finger typist. So that
explains the lack of capitals. Where a title includes a comma, the
title is enclosed by asterisks, so that explains that. To aid marginal
notetaking on printouts, a ---- line seperates authors. The question
to answer when making the list was "would you trade it if that meant
that you would never see it again?" Of 4335 titles, 904 authors the
list below had the answer "no". As in the previous list, the book must
have been read before Sept. 1986 to make the list. Books which were
only speed read scanned are not included. Formula books such as the
"Perry Rhodan", "Dumarest of Terra", and "Tarnsman of Gor" series are
also not included.

1986 list selected from 26 authors, 264 titles :

Douglas Adams - The hitchhikers guide to the galaxy, The restaurant at
the end of the universe, *Life, the universe, and everything*
----
Robert Adams - Castaways in time
----
Terry A. Adams - Sentience
----
Brian W. Aldiss - Greybeard, Starship, Helliconia Spring, Helliconia
Summer, Helliconia Winter
----
Roger MacBride Allen - The torch of honor
----
Chester Anderson (with Michael Kurland) Ten years to doomsday
----
Poul Anderson - Vault of the Ages, Three hearts and three lions, The
peregrine, Question and answer, The eneny stars, The long way home,
The man who counts, Virgin planet, The high crusade, Orbit unlimited,
Twilight world, The makeshift rocket, The trouble twisters, Shield,
The night face, Time and stars, Trader to the stars, The corridors of
time, The star fox, Flandry of terra, Agent of the terran empire,
Ensign Flandry, World without stars, Satan's world, The horn of time,
Beyond the beyond, A circus of hells, Tau Zero, Tales of the Flying
mountains, Operation Chaos, The byworlder, The dancer from atlantis,
The day of their return, There will be time, The people of the wind,
The queen of air and darkness and other stories, The worlds of Poul
Anderson, Fire time, A knight of ghosts and shadows, Homeward and
beyond, The rebel worlds, The winter of the world, The best of Poul
Anderson, Mirkheim, The Earth book of stormgate, The Avatar, A stone
in heaven, The merman's children, The dark between the stars, The
psycho-technic league, Winners, The guardians of time, Explorations,
Cold victory, Starship, Maurai & kith, The Gods laughed, Orion shall
rise, New America, The long night, Conflict, Time Patrolman, Annals of
the time patrol, Past times, Seven conquests, The game of empire,
Dialogue with darkness
----
Poul Anderson (with Gordon R. Dickson ) - Earthman's burden, Star
Prince Charlie, Hoka
----
Piers Anthony (omits fantasy) - Macroscope, Prostho plus, Triple
detente, Battle Circle (Sos the rope, Var the stick, Neq the sword)
----
Piers Anthony (with Robert Coulson) - But What of Earth ?
----
Christopher Anvil - Pandora's planet, Warlord's world, *The steel, the
mist, and the blazing sun*
----
Isaac Asimov - Pebble in the sky, *I, robot*, Foundation, Foundation
and empire, Second foundation, The caves of steel, The end of
eternity, The naked sun
----
Robert Lynn Asprin - Tambu
----
Robert Lynn Asprin (with George Takei) Mirror Friend, mirror foe
----
Richard Avery - The deathworms of kratos, The rings of tantalus, The
war games of Zelos, The venom of Argus
----
Please feel free to add recommended books by author (last) name of
this (first) letter to this thread to bring it up to date. If you
happen to know the copyright date then that would also be useful
information.

LCC

Bruce Baugh

Oct 21, 2001, 11:17:01 AM10/21/01
In article <7edd270a.01102...@posting.google.com>,

LCC...@aol.com (Lonnie Courtney Clay) wrote:

> notetaking on printouts, a ---- line seperates authors. The question
> to answer when making the list was "would you trade it if that meant
> that you would never see it again?"

Please see my previous comments about the value of active voice and
identification of actors. I can read this at least a couple of ways that
make sense and don't feel tortuous or silly to me, and which lead to
very different conclusions.

> have been read before Sept. 1986 to make the list. Books which were
> only speed read scanned are not included. Formula books such as the
> "Perry Rhodan", "Dumarest of Terra", and "Tarnsman of Gor" series
> are also not included.

You could have saved a few words by saying "I didn't include books I
skimmed or speed-read", if that's your intent above. And I'm curious
about the exclusion of "formula" books. There are some mighty fine
"formula" series in sf, and I don't quite see the grounds for excluding
them automatically. (Excluding ones you disliked makes perfect sense,
but that's a judgment on individual cases.)

It feels like there could be something useful here, but your
presentation makes it hard to tell. I am _not_ being facetious in
wondering if you could get someone to read your posts before they go out
and check for the sorts of things I've pointed at above.

--
Bruce Baugh <*> Writer of Fortune <*> bruce...@sff.net
I am what I know / A glacier made from layers of history's snow / And