How to find a short story?

Peter Knutsen

Apr 8, 2010, 5:09:19 PM4/8/10
This is not about YASID. If I know the title of a short story, what
options do I have for finding out which anthologies or single-author
collections it appears in?

I asked a librarian at the library school where I'm studying, and he was
able to use the Danbib database to find only one anthology in which
"Sail On! Sail On!" by Farmer appears, but as the name suggests Danbib
is largely a Danish database, and it would greatly surprise me if that
story isn't collected elsewhere as well. Is there an international
database for short stories? Or just one covering the English langauge?

--
Peter Knutsen
sagatafl.org

Ted Nolan <tednolan>

Apr 8, 2010, 5:18:59 PM4/8/10
In article <4bbe45fe$0$283$1472...@news.sunsite.dk>,

I think isfdb.org can help you there.

Ted
--
------
columbiaclosings.com

William December Starr

Apr 8, 2010, 6:45:37 PM4/8/10
In article <826vi3...@mid.individual.net>,
t...@loft.tnolan.com (Ted Nolan <tednolan>) said:

> Peter Knutsen <pe...@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:
>
>> I asked a librarian at the library school where I'm studying, and
>> he was able to use the Danbib database to find only one anthology
>> in which "Sail On! Sail On!" by Farmer appears, but as the name
>> suggests Danbib is largely a Danish database, and it would
>> greatly surprise me if that story isn't collected elsewhere as
>> well. Is there an international database for short stories? Or
>> just one covering the English langauge?
>

> I think isfdb.org can help you there.

Specifically,

Linkname: Bibliography: Sail On! Sail On!

-- wds

Christian Weisgerber

Apr 8, 2010, 6:58:19 PM4/8/10
Peter Knutsen <pe...@sagatafl.invalid> wrote:

> This is not about YASID. If I know the title of a short story, what
> options do I have for finding out which anthologies or single-author
> collections it appears in?

ISFDB.org for starters.

For German-language publications, there's Christian Pree's list:
http://www.chpr.at/sfstory.html

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber na...@mips.inka.de

Rich Horton

Apr 8, 2010, 8:41:00 PM4/8/10
On 8 Apr 2010 18:45:37 -0400, wds...@panix.com (William December
Starr) wrote:

ISFDB is good, but William Conento's lists, collected in pieces at
Locus (www.locusmag.com) are better -- more complete, and more
accurate. But harder to search!

Peter Knutsen

Apr 9, 2010, 6:05:38 AM4/9/10
On 08/04/2010 23:18, Ted Nolan <tednolan> wrote:
> I think isfdb.org can help you there.

Thanks.

--
Peter Knutsen