YASID

Nicholas Whyte

Jan 4, 2006, 4:58:40 AM1/4/06
Query from a colleague:

Can anyone identify an sf book, published before around 1990, in which
the protagonist is put into a simulation game setting where he becomes
a medieval character, and ends up conquering most of the known world a
la Genghis Khan? (My colleague has a vague memory that Fred Hoyle was
the author, but this seems unlikely.)

Thanks in advance.

Nicholas

Steve Mowbray

Jan 4, 2006, 6:48:51 AM1/4/06

"Nicholas Whyte" <nichola...@gmail.com> writes:
> Query from a colleague:
>
> Can anyone identify an sf book, published before around 1990, in which
> the protagonist is put into a simulation game setting where he becomes
> a medieval character, and ends up conquering most of the known world a
> la Genghis Khan?

_Steppe_ by Piers Anthony would fit.

Steve

Humble Reader

Jan 4, 2006, 10:27:17 AM1/4/06
Definitely, Steppe. A good book - pleasant yarn.

Jim

Mike Schilling

Jan 4, 2006, 12:27:43 PM1/4/06

"Humble Reader" <James.S...@futurelabusa.com> wrote in message

> Definitely, Steppe. A good book - pleasant yarn.

The history it contains (including the mistakes) comes from Rene Grousset's
_Empire of the Steppes_, which is a bit dated, but still well worth reading.

Nicholas Whyte

Jan 4, 2006, 12:47:22 PM1/4/06

Thanks, everyone!

Nicholas

Kai Henningsen

Jan 4, 2006, 12:46:00 PM1/4/06

Piers Anthony, _Steppe_, 1976?
Except the book is about the history _before_ Ghengis Khan. It's a history
lesson thinly disguised as a SF story.

Kai
--
http://www.westfalen.de/private/khms/
"... by God I *KNOW* what this network is for, and you can't have it."

kuang...@gmail.com

Jan 7, 2006, 10:34:39 AM1/7/06
Want to make USD6600 & USD7500 in one month ?

Email me for more info.

Jerry Brown

Jan 8, 2006, 7:54:52 AM1/8/06
On 7 Jan 2006 07:34:39 -0800, kuang...@gmail.com wrote:

>Want to make USD6600 & USD7500 in one month ?
>
>Email me for more info.

Not much to go on there, although Harrison's Stainless Steel Rat books
come to mind. Can you give us a bit more background, like when you
first read it (as opposed to how old you were at the time) or whether
there were any distinguishing features about any of the characters.

Jerry Brown
--
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)