DeathGate Diaries

Thorsten Scholz

Nov 25, 1993, 9:10:09 AM11/25/93
: Hi there! Does anybody know something about part six of th Deathgate
: Diaries by Margret Weis and Tracy Hickman?? BTW are there any other
: MW&TH fans out there??

Christopher Wayne Hammock

Nov 29, 1993, 1:41:59 PM11/29/93
In article <2d2ec1$o...@ina.zfn.uni-bremen.de>,

Part 6 of the DeathGate Cycle, Into the Labyrinth, is indeed out, and it's
pretty darn good, too. Anyone have any ideas for what they'll do with the last
book? No spoilers here, yet, but, I'm willing if anyone follows up on me. :)
'Til then, keep reading 'em. Oh, and yes, I'm a fan of theirs, although Tracy
doesn't appear to be quite as good as Margaret is at authoring.

Chris "DungeonKender" Hammock | "Life sucks, then you marry one" --Anonymous
cwh...@rigel.tamu.edu | "R2-D2! You know better than to
zal...@eskimo.com | trust a strange computer!" --C-3PO
The views expressed by The DungeonKender do not necessarily reflect the views
of Texas A&M University, or in fact of any rational, sane person. So there.
"You'll bonk anything, won't you?" --A. J. Rimmer

John Palmer

Nov 29, 1993, 5:26:23 PM11/29/93
In article <2d2ec1$o...@ina.zfn.uni-bremen.de>, f0...@zfn.uni-bremen.de

Its called Into the Labyrithe, and it just came out last month in
hardcover, have not got it yet. waiting for SFBC.

John Palmer - MDA-SSD M&P palmer#d#jo...@ssdgwy.mdc.com
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all Men* are created equal,
that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights,
that among these are Home Brewing, Women**, and the Pursuit of Science."
* intended at this time to be nonspecific; ** personal preference.

B10...@anlvm.ctd.anl.gov

Nov 29, 1993, 4:49:52 PM11/29/93
In article <2ddfpn$8...@tamsun.tamu.edu>
-------------------------
Count me in as an ardent Deathgate Cycle fan too! I haven't read
"Into the Labyrinth" yet, as the waiting list at my library is very
long. But, we are here...

The WatchWher

Nov 29, 1993, 11:46:45 PM11/29/93

At first I was very disappointed with the series. I had loved the
Darksword trilogy, and the Rose of the Prophet was okay, but the first two
Deathgate novels really sucked, IMHO.
However, then came Fire Sea.
They made up for EVRYTHING with this book.
The following book was pretty good, too.
I just got The Hand of Chaos in paperback, but I haven't had the
chance to read it yet (too much to read, too little time... Maybe if I weren't
logged on all of the time...)

Kalaria

--
Bethany Ramirez "Bitty" | "There's nothing so bad for a woman
bkra...@unix.amherst.edu | as a man who thinks he's bad OR good!"

Hank Lee

Nov 30, 1993, 8:24:00 PM11/30/93
CC> Part 6 of the DeathGate Cycle, Into the Labyrinth, is indeed out, and it's
CC> pretty darn good, too. Anyone have any ideas for what they'll do with the

It's out!? Well, I'll have to read carefully the catalog of SFBC. I wonder if
they still are in the business of selling Death Gate books. I bought the
first 5 from SFBC and I wish to buy the next two from them, for consistency's
sake. :)

Hank CH Lee Rime ->1379 Fido 1:125/27
Internet: hank...@toadhall.com

* RM 1.2 00299 * ( ( ((((((((This tagline supports SoundBlaster))))))) ) )

Kent Sandvik

Dec 1, 1993, 10:37:06 PM12/1/93
In article <73.3608.31...@toadhall.com>, hank...@toadhall.com
(Hank Lee) wrote:

> CC> Part 6 of the DeathGate Cycle, Into the Labyrinth, is indeed out, and it's
> CC> pretty darn good, too. Anyone have any ideas for what they'll do with the
>
> It's out!? Well, I'll have to read carefully the catalog of SFBC. I wonder if
> they still are in the business of selling Death Gate books. I bought the
> first 5 from SFBC and I wish to buy the next two from them, for consistency's
> sake. :)

I'm sure they will publish no 6 later, so far they have published each
part, and it would be silly to zap the selling so near the final one.

I don't know, the series is both good and awful, a lot of interesting
ideas and plots, and both writers seem to be in a hurry to finish the
series and start something new. The Labyrinth sequence was about 100 pages
or so, don't expect any huge new changes to the carefully planned
plot.

--Kent
--
Kent Sandvik
san...@apple.com. ALink: KSAND -- Private activities on the net.

kenneth harold luther

Dec 2, 1993, 12:48:43 PM12/2/93
In article <sandvik-01...@17.205.4.47>,

Kent Sandvik <san...@newton.apple.com> wrote:

>I don't know, the series is both good and awful, a lot of interesting
>ideas and plots, and both writers seem to be in a hurry to finish the
>series and start something new. The Labyrinth sequence was about 100 pages
>or so, don't expect any huge new changes to the carefully planned
>plot.

I've only read up through the 5th book (I'm doing the paperbacks :),
but after the third and fourth books, I was ready for the last three
to be a really fast-paced, wild, whirlwind tour which would go back
and forth through the four sundered worlds. But then came book 5.
WHAM! Dead stop. It took four books just to set the whole situation
up. In the fifth book, they don't move beyond Arianus. That leaves
only two books now to go revisit the other three worlds, as well
as do the labyrynth bit and resolve everything. Grrrrrr.

|Ken Luther School of Public & Environmental Affairs |
|klu...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu Indiana University |
|Tape in car: SPACE IN YOUR FACE, by The Galactic Cowboys |
|Book at bedside: THE DRAWING OF THE THREE, by Stephen King |

Hank Lee

Dec 2, 1993, 6:49:00 PM12/2/93
Psss...wanna know what SAN...@NEWTON.APPLE.COM said to ALL? Things
about DeathGate Diaries is worth...say, $100?

SS> I'm sure they will publish no 6 later, so far they have published each
SS> part, and it would be silly to zap the selling so near the final one.

I sure hope so. I wonder what's SFBC's deal with Tor books. They should be
publishing the next Robert Jordan book...

SS> I don't know, the series is both good and awful, a lot of interesting
SS> ideas and plots, and both writers seem to be in a hurry to finish the
SS> series and start something new. The Labyrinth sequence was about 100 pages
SS> or so, don't expect any huge new changes to the carefully planned
SS> plot.

As far as I know, both authors are currently on other projects as well. They
have been working on their own books as well as join efforts with other
authors. I don't have the details though.

Hank CH Lee Rime ->1379 Fido 1:125/27
Internet: hank...@toadhall.com

* RM 1.2 00299 * Self-Control - the ability to eat only one peanut.

Mutant for Hire

Dec 9, 1993, 3:34:57 PM12/9/93
In article <CHF5H...@usenet.ucs.indiana.edu>, klu...@nickel.ucs.indiana.edu (kenneth harold luther) writes:
>I've only read up through the 5th book (I'm doing the paperbacks :),
>but after the third and fourth books, I was ready for the last three
>to be a really fast-paced, wild, whirlwind tour which would go back
>and forth through the four sundered worlds. But then came book 5.
>WHAM! Dead stop. It took four books just to set the whole situation
>up. In the fifth book, they don't move beyond Arianus. That leaves
>only two books now to go revisit the other three worlds, as well
>as do the labyrynth bit and resolve everything. Grrrrrr.

Bear in mind, of the four terrestrial realms, one of them is effectively
dead, and its contribution to the plot is the Chamber of the Damned and
the lazar that wander around restricting access to it. Book 6 split time
between the realm of fire and the labrynth, though granted there weren't
all that many characters to work with in the realm of fire, so you needed
less pages.

As for the short length of the labrynth material, bear in mind (only
semi-spoiler) a good chunk of the characters are still in there, so we
haven't seen the last of that yet. Also, there's only so much you can
write about people struggling against random monster attacks before it gets
a little dull.

Its a little on the bland side, but has some interesting parts to it. The
appendicies make for interesting reading, occasionally better than a lot
of the books.

--
Martin Terman, Mutant for Hire, Synchronicity Daemon, Priest of Shub-Internet
Disclaimer: Sticks and stones may break my bones, but flames are just ignored