YASID: "Magellium"

Nyrath the nearly wise

Jul 10, 2002, 9:02:36 PM7/10/02
Book probably dates to the mid-1950's
Might be by David Duncan, or may not.

A nuclear reactor produces a new element, dubbed "Magellium".
Every atom of magellium in the universe attracts every other.
A blob of magellium in a box moves the box slowely in
a figure 8 pattern (an "analemma") since it is being
attracted to the magellium in Sirius B.

The scientists make a spacecraft with a frame holding
lots of blobs of magellium in its nose. When the blobs
are released, they are attracted together into a large
blob, increasing its power. The ship then
shoots skyward.

The crew release some atomic flares to signal Earth,
but their dimness indicates that the ship is
travelling *really* far.

Does this ring any bells?

mike stone

Jul 11, 2002, 3:58:02 AM7/11/02
>rom: Nyrath the nearly wise nyra...@comcast.net.INVALID

It _was_ David Duncan

It was called "Dark Dominion" and I think the magic metal was actually called
"Magellanium". It is powwerfully attracted roward White Dwarf Stars.

The Space vehicle was called the "Black Planet", and was a US military one.
Iirc the hero loses his wife and kid, who are on the BP when it is prematurely
released

--
Mike Stone - Peterborough England

Last words of King Edward II.

"I always said that Roger Mortimer was a pain in the - - - AAARGHH!!!"