The Melbourne Book Signing EXTRA INFO!

Jerry McLaughlin

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99

Nathan Lundblad <lund...@ugastro.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
news:7q7f86$qqp$1...@agate-ether.berkeley.edu...
> In article <37c74691@nap-ns1>, Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com>
wrote:

> >The other _really_ interesting thing he said was that ABC have bought the
> >rights to make a WOT mini-series. It doesn't mean they will, but they've
> >got the guy who wrote 'Merlin' working on a script.
>
> Oh. My. God.
>
> This could be truly frightening...

Don't worry about it. They can't film it 'til he finishes it.

Jerry McLaughlin

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99

Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com> wrote in message

> Jerry McLaughlin <jer...@cloud9.net> wrote in message
> Damn, that's another thing I should have asked. 'How much of the story
will
> it cover?'
> Remember, he did say he didn't know whether they would do it, just that
they
> had bought the rights to do it. It probably depends what the script turns
> out like.

Unless they wanted to only do EoTW, they would have to wait for the finished
product, I would think. It's not something I would look forward to, having
seen a bunch ABC's Steven King adaptations.

John S. Novak, III

Aug 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/27/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:26:24 +1000, Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com> wrote:

>The other _really_ interesting thing he said was that ABC have bought the
>rights to make a WOT mini-series. It doesn't mean they will, but they've
>got the guy who wrote 'Merlin' working on a script.

It's been done before.
Much more skillfully than this.

Back when you were still in diapers.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net
The Humblest Man on the Net

Mark Erikson

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

Jerry McLaughlin <jer...@cloud9.net> wrote in message

> Nathan Lundblad <lund...@ugastro.berkeley.edu> wrote in message
> > In article <37c74691@nap-ns1>, Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com>

> wrote:
> >
> > >The other _really_ interesting thing he said was that ABC have bought
the
> > >rights to make a WOT mini-series. It doesn't mean they will, but
they've
> > >got the guy who wrote 'Merlin' working on a script.
> >
> > Oh. My. God.
> >
> > This could be truly frightening...
> >

> Don't worry about it. They can't film it 'til he finishes it.

Damn, that's another thing I should have asked. 'How much of the story will
it cover?'
Remember, he did say he didn't know whether they would do it, just that they
had bought the rights to do it. It probably depends what the script turns
out like.

--
-Mark Erikson, 17 year old virgin
asha...@geocities.com

Mark Erikson

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

wrote:

> >The other _really_ interesting thing he said was that ABC have bought the
> >rights to make a WOT mini-series. It doesn't mean they will, but they've
> >got the guy who wrote 'Merlin' working on a script.
>
> It's been done before.
> Much more skillfully than this.
>
> Back when you were still in diapers.

Are you acusing me of trolling? I wouldn't use something so mundane as a
troll. He actually said this. Ask him next time you see him, or someone
who is going to see him in Sydney, New Zealand or Brisbane, ask him there
and see what he says. This is the truth.
You could even contact ABC and ask them I suppose.

John S. Novak, III

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:23:50 +1000, Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com> wrote:

>Are you acusing me of trolling? I wouldn't use something so mundane as a
>troll. He actually said this. Ask him next time you see him, or someone
>who is going to see him in Sydney, New Zealand or Brisbane, ask him there
>and see what he says. This is the truth.
>You could even contact ABC and ask them I suppose.

It would be a lot simpler for someone who:

A) Believes you and,
B) Has some spare time on his hands,

to just go ask Patrick or Teresa Nielsen Hayden.
I may ask one of them later.

Let's just say I find this extraordinarily difficult to believe on
only your say-so, especially given exactly zero word from Tor on the
issue.

--

John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net

Kevin Bangerter

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99

Mark Erikson wrote in message <37ca083f@nap-ns1>...

>John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message

>> It would be a lot simpler for someone who:
>>
>> A) Believes you and,
>> B) Has some spare time on his hands,
>>
>> to just go ask Patrick or Teresa Nielsen Hayden.
>> I may ask one of them later.

>I suppose you could ask Tor as well.

umm... You know who PNH is, right?

-kgb

Mark Erikson

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99

> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:23:50 +1000, Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com>
wrote:

> >Are you acusing me of trolling? I wouldn't use something so mundane as a
> >troll. He actually said this. Ask him next time you see him, or someone
> >who is going to see him in Sydney, New Zealand or Brisbane, ask him there
> >and see what he says. This is the truth.
> >You could even contact ABC and ask them I suppose.
>
> It would be a lot simpler for someone who:
>
> A) Believes you and,
> B) Has some spare time on his hands,
>
> to just go ask Patrick or Teresa Nielsen Hayden.
> I may ask one of them later.
>
> Let's just say I find this extraordinarily difficult to believe on
> only your say-so, especially given exactly zero word from Tor on the
> issue.

I suppose you could ask Tor as well.

Paul Colquhoun

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:23:50 +1000, Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com> wrote:

|John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message
|> On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 11:26:24 +1000, Mark Erikson <asha...@geocities.com>
|wrote:
|>

|> >The other _really_ interesting thing he said was that ABC have bought the
|> >rights to make a WOT mini-series. It doesn't mean they will, but they've
|> >got the guy who wrote 'Merlin' working on a script.
|>
|> It's been done before.
|> Much more skillfully than this.
|>
|> Back when you were still in diapers.
|
|Are you acusing me of trolling? I wouldn't use something so mundane as a
|troll. He actually said this. Ask him next time you see him, or someone
|who is going to see him in Sydney, New Zealand or Brisbane, ask him there
|and see what he says. This is the truth.
|You could even contact ABC and ask them I suppose.

I have just returned home from a talk/booksigning here in Sydney.

RJ did say that the rights to a mini-series of the tEotW has been
sold, and that the scriptwriter from Merlin was involved. He also
said there was no guarantee that anything would come of this.

Other observations/comments.

He does not plan to write any further books set in Randland after
this series finishes, unless he has a flash of inspiration. RJ strongly
implied that he didn't think this was likely, as it would need to
be something very special/compelling.

He has extensive notes on all the people/places on computer, but
keeps all the plot lines in his head. He commented that he didn't
think he could add any more plot threads without loosing track!
(Personally I find it hard enough to keep track while reading, let
alone writing!). I asked him if he had concidered publishing the
notes after the series had finished. He said it would amount to
something like an encyclopaedia, and that he didn't think there
would be much interest... I tried to let him know that there
were many fans who would lap it up. We may need to bring this
up again later, if it hasn't already been done. Can we get his
publishers to suggest it to him?

RJ was obviously being carefull to limit his answers to material
in the already published books. He paused several times before
answering, and was very non-commital in places ( RAFO ).

In answer to a question about the absence of Mat from the last
book, RJ pointed out that Mat had just had a wall dropped on him
and deserved some time off to rest and reccover.

At least 1 person in the front row was taping the Q & A session
on a dictaphone, so there may be a transcript somewhere. I lost
track of them during the signing afterwards, so I couldn't ask
them if they were planning to put it on the net.

--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, postm...@andor.dropbear.id.au
Universal Life Church http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol

Bill McCarthy

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99
Paul Colquhoun shouted unto the masses...

<snip>

> Other observations/comments.
>
> He does not plan to write any further books set in Randland after
> this series finishes, unless he has a flash of inspiration. RJ strongly
> implied that he didn't think this was likely, as it would need to
> be something very special/compelling.

^^^^^^^^^^
Sounds like the cue for a particularly rabid WoT fan to pull him out
of his car in a snowstorm and coach him through his "convalescence".
Although, I don't think they get many snowstorms down in
Charleston...

<snip rest>
--
Bill McCarthy

Never test the depth
of the water with both feet.

Kevin Bangerter

Aug 30, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/30/99

Bill McCarthy wrote in message ...

>Paul Colquhoun shouted unto the masses...
>
><snip>
>
>> Other observations/comments.
>>
>> He does not plan to write any further books set in Randland after
>> this series finishes, unless he has a flash of inspiration. RJ strongly
>> implied that he didn't think this was likely, as it would need to
>> be something very special/compelling.
> ^^^^^^^^^^
>Sounds like the cue for a particularly rabid WoT fan to pull him out
>of his car in a snowstorm and coach him through his "convalescence".
>Although, I don't think they get many snowstorms down in
>Charleston...

Are you suggesting a dance in The Far Snows?

-kgb

Bill McCarthy

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99
Kevin Bangerter shouted unto the masses...

Actually, I was implying something more fiendish, ala _Misery_ by
Stephen King.

Mark Erikson

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

Kevin Bangerter <the...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> Mark Erikson wrote in message <37ca083f@nap-ns1>...
> >
> >John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message
>
> >> It would be a lot simpler for someone who:
> >>
> >> A) Believes you and,
> >> B) Has some spare time on his hands,
> >>
> >> to just go ask Patrick or Teresa Nielsen Hayden.
> >> I may ask one of them later.
>
> >I suppose you could ask Tor as well.
>

> umm... You know who PNH is, right?

I didn't recognise the names, but I could guess that they're the TOR people
who post here now and then? I seem to remember a post from one of them a
while back saying the tPoD had been turned in to Tor.

Mark Erikson

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

> John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message

> > On Sat, 28 Aug 1999 14:23:50 +1000, Mark Erikson
<asha...@geocities.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > >Are you acusing me of trolling? I wouldn't use something so mundane as
> > >troll. He actually said this. Ask him next time you see him, or
someone
> > >who is going to see him in Sydney, New Zealand or Brisbane, ask him
there
> > >and see what he says. This is the truth.
> > >You could even contact ABC and ask them I suppose.
> >
> > It would be a lot simpler for someone who:
> >
> > A) Believes you and,
> > B) Has some spare time on his hands,
> >
> > to just go ask Patrick or Teresa Nielsen Hayden.
> > I may ask one of them later.
> >
> > Let's just say I find this extraordinarily difficult to believe on
> > only your say-so, especially given exactly zero word from Tor on the
> > issue.
>
> I suppose you could ask Tor as well.

Well, now we have a second opinion, mini-serries stuff is true.
Now, let's play charades, sounds like anthology?

Kevin Bangerter

Aug 31, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/31/99

Mark Erikson wrote in message <37cb906b@nap-ns1>...

>Kevin Bangerter <the...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

>> umm... You know who PNH is, right?

>I didn't recognise the names, but I could guess that they're the TOR people
>who post here now and then? I seem to remember a post from one of them a
>while back saying the tPoD had been turned in to Tor.

Yup.

-kgb