Dayton, Ohio Signing 10/21/05

1 view

Michael Martin

Oct 21, 2005, 8:42:21 AM10/21/05
Just a quick note that I'll be there tonight, and will do my best to
remember what's said for a signing report. I will confess I have yet to
read books 10 and 11, though I have been following all the spoiler
posts (sue me. It's my way of figuring out if I wanna bother reading
them before he finally finishes the series).

Anyway, after last time (pretty sure I annoyed RJ with a steady barrage
of questions, despite the fact that no one else was asking anything),
I'm going to be a stealth reporter this time. Can't imagine anything
new being asked or answered at this point, but I'll endeavor to post on
Monday about the signing (no net access over the weekend).

MM

Scott Carlson

Oct 21, 2005, 11:19:26 PM10/21/05

Was good to see you again this time around.

I was too busy trying to rush my way through KoD (and failing) (and
avoiding the spoilers I knew I'd find here till I finished) to remember
to fish for questions, so I only had a couple hastily prepared ones on
my mind. Being so hastily prepared, I was sure at least one of them
would get RAFO'd. To my surprise, neither did.

The first was: "Lately LTT has been in Rand's head increasingly, and
increasingly, LTT has been bemoaning that he's got voices in his head.
Is LTT merely a disembodied voice in Rand's head in Rand's time, or is
there some kind of time-spanning link between them, and Rand is
concurrently a disembodied voice in LTT's head in the Age of Legends?"

RJ replied that it is the former; that LTT is a disembodied voice that
refuses to believe he is a disembodied voice.

On my second trip up, I went for what I figured was the longer-shot. I
asked "Rand has been having the dizzy spells and sick sensations when
channelling, despite having cleansed saidin. Is this an lasting effect
of the taint, like having built up some taint in male channellers that
won't go away?"

And the answer was "No, it's completely unrelated to the taint."

In retrospect, I should have gone for an either/or on the second
question, posing LTT trying to sieze control of saidin as a second
option, and maybe gotten a positive confirmation on my top 2 contenders,
instead of just a negative confirmation on one.

Since I snagged a seat fairly close to the desk he was signing at, I got
to listen in on the snippets that seemed story related rather than
personal or involving his writing process, and gleaned in addition that
there's a 50/50 chance that the next book will be based off the working
title "A Memory of Light," and that book 12 (which he declared in his
opening schpiel will absolutely positively be the last book if it ends
up 3000 pages long and they have to sell it with a bookstand and luggage
carrier -- not an exact quote but close) will definitely "cover Tarmon
Gaidon and a little beyond."

Anyhow, that's my meager, notes-scrawled-on-the-back-of-my-line-number
report.

--
--Scott--