Dayton Books & Co. quick summary

Matthew Julius

Jan 17, 2003, 3:27:09 AM1/17/03
This event was pretty much the same as the Kroger's signing I went to
yesterday, just with almost 10 times as many people -- at least 280 at
this one. And that with the most horrible weather we've had all
winter.

Robert Jordan arrived after a very flowery introduction by some Books
& Co. dude ("The check's in the mail."). Started off by pronouncing
names again ... with several "I told you so's" from folks in the
crowd. Odd that, considering all of the pronunciations are in the
back of the freakin' books.

Same pronunciations as in the signing yesterday, except I managed to
listen a little closer...

Egwene was definitely E-gwain
Aiel - Aye-eel
Seanchan - Shawn-chan
tel'aron'rhiod was, I think, tell-erin-ree-ode or tell-erin-ray-ode,
although he said it very softly and I don't think I'd get it right
hearing it three times.

Asmodean's killer was solved by somebody some time ago. I guess the
guy sent RJ a letter or something with clues he used to solve it. RJ
said that all of the clues were there before he died, and he thought
about this, and then said that he believed all of the clues used were
from before he died. He did not tell the person he was right and he
will not tell anyone who it was that figured it out.

He mentioned again that there's "at least two more books" and
apologized for it yet again. There was no "if" clause as there was
yesterday, though. Although, he did mention that he's trying to get
the series done as quickly as possible, and that not one extra word
would appear if it's not necessary, or something very close to that.
*sigh* He talked about the three prequels that he will write, but
didn't mention when he was writing them which I guess was fortunate
after mentioning "no extra words". He also mentioned that the next
stuff he writes will be something that's been brewing in his head for
eight years now and will be completely independent of WOT.

I had ticket number #121 so it was about an hour before I got my books
signed. I was ten feet from RJ but there was no way I could've heard
a word spoken from there, so I chatted with my friends for an hour.

Right before I get my book signed, a group of people clustered near
the table asked if they can ask a question ...

"How long was Danelle a novice before becoming Aes Sedai?" Or
something. Obviously a RAFO, which it was. Those folks seemed to be
taking notes, so maybe they'll post something here also. Dunno, maybe
that was Michael's group.

Which led to my question ...

"It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred.
There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."

"Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."

"So, he's being set up as a new Demandred then?"

"RAFO."

--
Matthew Julius

juli...@wright.edu

Thom Jeffries

Jan 17, 2003, 10:04:46 AM1/17/03
Matthew Julius wrote ...

*snip signing mumbo-jumbo that I'm never near enough to go to...grumble*

> Which led to my question ...
>
> "It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred.
> There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
>
> "Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."
>
> "So, he's being set up as a new Demandred then?"
>
> "RAFO."

You have got to be shitting us. I mean, you MUST be shitting us.

If I had the balls to present him a red pen at a signing, I would
ask my questions first. Upon hearing that answer, he would have lost
half the light of the world. Of all the frickin' things to just
straight out tell someone, after the seas of RAFO answers he's
given over the years. IIRC, he's said it's not really important
who killed Asmodean now that it's done, yet still won't tell us
that.

But Taim != Demandred? How much circumstantial evidence did we
have dumped on us prior to WH's Flinn flub and Kisman's POV? And
we had ways of half-explaining those as well. And now the argument
is over, after all the posts and all the debating and all the
uncertainty over the last six or eight years.

Ugh. I just can't believe it.

Anyhow, the question remains why he wouldn't answer the second
portion of you question. I wonder if it's meant as a generic RAFO,
or there's something specific that he doesn't want known. In my
looney feverdreams since trying to parse the Elayne chapters in CoT,
I wondered: Have we seen any indication that people can be possessed
by the One Power. I think the closest we've seen in Compulsion, but
I really just don't want to believe that _every_ single tidbit in LoC
and CoS about Taim that screamed Demandred were all red herrings.
Dem possessing Taim would allow for such a plethora of quirks from
the man, yet allow for him not to be Demandred.

Sigh. I've been back and forth too many times over the last four
books on this issue that it boggles my mind. And makes me a little
angry, especially if it turns out RJ changed his mind sometime
between CoS and PoD, saying something along the lines of "Shit,
those blasted kids figured out the Taimandred thing Harriet! You
told me the hint were subtle and here they are, all smug and pleased
with themselves and their _FAQ_. I'll show 'em. I'll show them ALL!"

Like I said, feverdreams. I hope.

--
Thom Jeffries

Colin Andrew Percival

Jan 17, 2003, 11:51:28 AM1/17/03
Matthew Julius <mae...@woh.rr.com> wrote:
> "It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred.
> There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
>
> "Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."

Am I the only person hearing "... but Demandred is pretending to be Mazrim
Taim" here?

Colin Percival

Chris Carton

Jan 17, 2003, 12:49:08 PM1/17/03

Whew. Relief. Thanks for pointing that out. I'm a little ashamed that I
didn't notice.

The evidence in favor of the Taimandred theory is so compelling that if it
turns out not to be true then I'd be very suspicious of RJ having changed
his mind.

Chris

Michelle J. Haines

Jan 17, 2003, 1:41:44 PM1/17/03
In article <lraf2vg0rh5kbkmli...@4ax.com>,
mae...@woh.rr.com says...

> Although, he did mention that he's trying to get
> the series done as quickly as possible, and that not one extra word
> would appear if it's not necessary, or something very close to that.

At which point to fell down, laughing hysterically, right?

Michelle
Flutist
--
"Daddy, sometimes schoolwork is better than eating!"
-- Katrina M. Haines, 01-09-03

J.Hamby

Jan 17, 2003, 1:47:17 PM1/17/03
Matthew Julius <mae...@woh.rr.com> wrote in message news:<lraf2vg0rh5kbkmli...@4ax.com>...

[snip]

> Asmodean's killer was solved by somebody some time ago. I guess the
> guy sent RJ a letter or something with clues he used to solve it. RJ
> said that all of the clues were there before he died, and he thought
> about this, and then said that he believed all of the clues used were
> from before he died. He did not tell the person he was right and he
> will not tell anyone who it was that figured it out.

[snip yet more]

> Which led to my question ...
>
> "It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred.
> There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
>
> "Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."

[snip]

Okay forget the damn red pens. What i really would love
to see at this point is someone who forget to take
their medication walk into the signing, slap some superglue
on each palm and press hard against the fat bastard's
cheeks and threaten to pull every damn hair off his
chinny chin chin.

He can throw away Sammael as being dead in a CNN chat?!?
He can tell us Demandred is not Taim?
And I have just received an email from a friend at the
signing that says reports are that Jordan confirmed
Olver is not Gaidal Cain.

And yet the bastard keeps wiggling his eyesbrows
and tells us that the murder of Asmodean has been solved
but then won't give details?

Don't get me wrong. I don't care at this point
who killed aSmodean since it was clearly a dead-end
street and too many other issues are more interesting.
But Jordan takes this matter a bit far.

I think a very good question to the man would be to ask him
why he is so determined not to give out the details
if the murder has been solved and has all the necessary
info several books back? Tell him right off that you
could not care less who killed him but want to know
why Jordan so obviously does care to keep playing these
reindeer fucking games.

At this point I just wish he would keep his trap
shut or spout the RAFO.

I never liked the Demandred theory. Not on its
merits but that I wanted to see some real villains
come from the present timeline. The Forsaken had
all ended up as old movie serial villains; twirling
moustache and shouting 'curses' with fist raised to
sky.

No red pens, super glue.
And I bear no responsibility should some nut
case actually do the deed. Free will and
all that crap.

---
JSH

Leigh Butler

Jan 17, 2003, 2:15:59 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:27:09 GMT, Matthew Julius <mae...@woh.rr.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>"It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred.
>There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
>
>"Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."
>
>"So, he's being set up as a new Demandred then?"
>
>"RAFO."

I have zero fucking response to this.

Someone, ask him this again. If he's said it once, he'll say it again.

I want corroboration, goddammit.

Jesus, what a shitty thing to do.

--
Leigh Butler leigh_...@paramount.com
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those

Indigo Wombat

Jan 17, 2003, 3:18:06 PM1/17/03
Thom Jeffries wrote:
> Matthew Julius wrote ...
>
> *snip signing mumbo-jumbo that I'm never near enough to go
> to...grumble*
>
>> Which led to my question ...
>>
>> "It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred.
>> There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
>>
>> "Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."
>>
>> "So, he's being set up as a new Demandred then?"
>>
>> "RAFO."

[snip]

> Taim != Demandred? How much circumstantial evidence did we
> have dumped on us prior to WH's Flinn flub and Kisman's POV? And
> we had ways of half-explaining those as well. And now the argument
> is over, after all the posts and all the debating and all the
> uncertainty over the last six or eight years.
>
> Ugh. I just can't believe it.

My guess as to RJ's rationale on the timing of revealing this now:

I think in WH, he gave what he felt were sufficient clues for anyone who
cared, to indicate that they were not one and the same. He didn't reveal
this in the WH round of signings because he didn't want to spoil it for
people who hadn't read it, but now that it's been out there for a while,
he's willing to confirm that, seeing as how that was so "obvious" in the
text of WH (for RJ-defined values of "obvious").

Could be wrong, but that thinking fits my internal model of RJ-behavior.

--
The Indigo Wombat
Marsupial of Might

Michael Hoye

Jan 17, 2003, 4:29:36 PM1/17/03
In article <MPG.1891fc4e2...@news.Qwest.net>,

Michelle J. Haines <mha...@io.nanc.com> wrote:
>In article <lraf2vg0rh5kbkmli...@4ax.com>,
>mae...@woh.rr.com says...
>> Although, he did mention that he's trying to get
>> the series done as quickly as possible, and that not one extra word
>> would appear if it's not necessary, or something very close to that.
>
>At which point to fell down, laughing hysterically, right?

You know, the entirety of "The Sun Also Rises" feels like a complete
waste of time until it crystallizes perfectly on the last page.

Here's hoping.

--
Mike Hoye

Ilya Popov

Jan 17, 2003, 5:24:30 PM1/17/03

"Leigh Butler" <leigh_...@paramount.com> wrote in message

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:27:09 GMT, Matthew Julius <mae...@woh.rr.com>
> wrote:
>
> <snip>
>
> >"It's been said that you mentioned that Mazrim Taim is not Demandred.
> >There seems to be some confusion on whether or not you said that."
> >
> >"Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."
> >
> >"So, he's being set up as a new Demandred then?"
> >
> >"RAFO."
>

> I have zero fucking response to this.
>

> Someone, ask him this again. If he's said it once, he'll say it again.
>

> I want corroboration, goddammit.
>

> Jesus, what a shitty thing to do.
>
> --
> Leigh Butler leigh_...@paramount.com

He's coming here tomorrow. I'll get a confirmation, just for you Leigh.
Hell, I'll even bring my pocket record to get it on tape, if you want. And
witnesses. The only thing I do not have is a pocket video-recorder. Anyone
else coming to Cambridge tomorrow? Or am the sole Boston-based poster?

Ilya Popov
The Nazi Critic

Sandy Pratt

Jan 17, 2003, 5:30:27 PM1/17/03

"Indigo Wombat" <indigo...@indigowombat.com> wrote in message

I think it's because he changed his mind. It's so out of character
for him to state right out something like this. In essence, I think
the turn around is so marked because he's overcompensating for all
those clues he dropped before he changed his mind.

Sandy

Leigh Butler

Jan 17, 2003, 5:38:28 PM1/17/03
On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:24:30 GMT, "Ilya Popov" <il...@metalinker.com>
wrote:

>"Leigh Butler" <leigh_...@paramount.com> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:27:09 GMT, Matthew Julius <mae...@woh.rr.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>> >"Mazrim Taim is not Demandred."

>> I have zero fucking response to this.

>> Someone, ask him this again. If he's said it once, he'll say it again.

>He's coming here tomorrow. I'll get a confirmation, just for you Leigh.

>Hell, I'll even bring my pocket record to get it on tape, if you want. And
>witnesses. The only thing I do not have is a pocket video-recorder. Anyone
>else coming to Cambridge tomorrow? Or am the sole Boston-based poster?

Tape-recording really isn't necessary.

But if you ask and get another confirmation, that would be much
appreciated.

The more the merrier.

Aaron Bergman

Jan 17, 2003, 5:49:55 PM1/17/03
In article <omXV9.1000$df6....@ursa-nb00s0.nbnet.nb.ca>,
"Chris Carton" <car...@canada.com> wrote:

> The evidence in favor of the Taimandred theory is so compelling that if it
> turns out not to be true then I'd be very suspicious of RJ having changed
> his mind.

It always seemed a bit too obvious, really.

Aaron
--
Aaron Bergman
<http://www.princeton.edu/~abergman/>

Ilya Popov

Jan 17, 2003, 6:06:04 PM1/17/03

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 22:24:30 GMT, "Ilya Popov" <il...@metalinker.com>
> wrote:
> >"Leigh Butler" <leigh_...@paramount.com> wrote in message
> >> On Fri, 17 Jan 2003 08:27:09 GMT, Matthew Julius <mae...@woh.rr.com>
> >> wrote:
> >>
> >> <snip>

> >> I have zero fucking response to this.
> >>

> >> Someone, ask him this again. If he's said it once, he'll say it again.
>
> >He's coming here tomorrow. I'll get a confirmation, just for you Leigh.
> >Hell, I'll even bring my pocket record to get it on tape, if you want.
And
> >witnesses. The only thing I do not have is a pocket video-recorder.
Anyone
> >else coming to Cambridge tomorrow? Or am the sole Boston-based poster?
>
> Tape-recording really isn't necessary.

> But if you ask and get another confirmation, that would be much
> appreciated.
>
> The more the merrier.
>
> --
> Leigh Butler

Arace should be there tomorrow, and I'll to bring a mate along, if he's
willing to stick it out.

Michael Rollins

Jan 17, 2003, 6:41:02 PM1/17/03

What someone should ask him is if he twists the truth of his answers like
an Aes Sedai twists the truth when it suits her purpose.

--
Michael Rollins

John S. Novak, III

Jan 17, 2003, 8:43:16 PM1/17/03
In article <615991f1.0301...@posting.google.com>, Thom Jeffries wrote:

> But Taim != Demandred? How much circumstantial evidence did we
> have dumped on us prior to WH's Flinn flub and Kisman's POV? And
> we had ways of half-explaining those as well.

Not any that weren't unbelievably stupid.
I thought it was supposed to be blindingly clear after WH that they
were not the same.

> And now the argument
> is over, after all the posts and all the debating and all the
> uncertainty over the last six or eight years.

Thank.
God.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@cegt201.bradley.edu
The Humblest Man on the Net

Chucky & Janica

Jan 18, 2003, 4:19:31 AM1/18/03
Way back on Fri, 17 Jan 2003 23:06:04 GMT, this dweeb called "Ilya
Popov" <il...@metalinker.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> >He's coming here tomorrow. I'll get a confirmation, just for you Leigh.
>> >Hell, I'll even bring my pocket record to get it on tape, if you want.
>> >And witnesses. The only thing I do not have is a pocket
>> >video-recorder. Anyone else coming to Cambridge tomorrow? Or
>> >am the sole Boston-based poster?
>>
>> Tape-recording really isn't necessary.
>
>> But if you ask and get another confirmation, that would be much
>> appreciated.
>>
>> The more the merrier.
>

>Arace should be there tomorrow, and I'll to bring a mate along, if he's
>willing to stick it out.

Hasn't Jordan been saying Mazrim Taim is not Demandred for some years
already? I'm never one to listen to what the author apparently says at
book signings, because he's welcome to change his mind in the
meantime, but I'd have thought that the people who *are* inclined to
listen to RJSS reports[1] would have heard this enough times to be
convinced already.

I never saw the big deal with Taimandred anyway. It was never meant to
be, it was never really possible, and if Jordan's been saying so for
this long, maybe he's not going to change his mind in the near future.

C&J

[1] Robert Jordan Said So. Of course.

--
13 & 13b of the CMM Collective
"OK, Angels. Let's show this man what

Ilya Popov

Jan 18, 2003, 4:22:36 AM1/18/03
"Chucky & Janica" <janica....@pp.inet.fi> wrote in message

Who knows, and who gives a fig. I've never cared to begin with. I read the
books for pleasure - Asmodean, Taimandred, etc, never interested me. I never
did understand what people found so captivating about the mysteries behind
such things; I was simply into the books because I wanted Rhuidean-like ass
kicking scenes.

Ilya Popov
The Nazi Critic

> C&J

Frank van Schie

Jan 18, 2003, 12:49:46 PM1/18/03

"J.Hamby" wrote:
> [snipalot]

> And I bear no responsibility should some nut
> case actually do the deed. Free will and
> all that crap.

*quietly presses a red button on a discrete black box engraved 'property
of JSN'*
--
Frank

Chucky & Janica

Jan 19, 2003, 1:08:37 PM1/19/03
Way back on Sat, 18 Jan 2003 09:22:36 GMT, this dweeb called "Ilya
Popov" <il...@metalinker.com> kirjoitti viestissä:

>> I never saw the big deal with Taimandred anyway. It was never meant to

>> be, it was never really possible, and if Jordan's been saying so for
>> this long, maybe he's not going to change his mind in the near future.
>
>Who knows, and who gives a fig. I've never cared to begin with. I read the
>books for pleasure - Asmodean, Taimandred, etc, never interested me. I never
>did understand what people found so captivating about the mysteries behind
>such things; I was simply into the books because I wanted Rhuidean-like ass
>kicking scenes.

You know, you're right. That's the way I think of it too. So Asmodean
died. Nobody in the books seems to care about it - did Rand ever even
say "Where's my bard?"? I don't think we should give a shit if they
don't. Taim is Taim until it's important to note that he's somebody
else. The only one that annoys me is Moridin, but we won't bother
carping on about that.

C&J

jamie

May 16, 2003, 12:32:49 PM5/16/03
Some time ago,

Thom Jeffries <thom...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> But Taim != Demandred? How much circumstantial evidence did we
> have dumped on us prior to WH's Flinn flub and Kisman's POV? And
> we had ways of half-explaining those as well. And now the argument
> is over, after all the posts and all the debating and all the
> uncertainty over the last six or eight years.

IMO, the only circumstantial evidence there ever was, was that Taim was
tall, hook-nosed (not unusual for a Saldean), and knew a little Old Tongue
(not unusual for Borderlanders). All the other so-called evidence was
begging the question, and I never found it to be the least convincing.

I went through the FAQ's alleged evidence, point by point, a couple of
years ago.

http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=slrn9ivphf.jlh.jamie%40bozo2.local.net

(Personally, I have always thought Einor Saren the most likely suspect.)

--
jamie (jami...@newsguy.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."