AOL Transcript

Aaron Bergman

Oct 19, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/19/96

Well, this one looks quite boring--I didn't attend, but here it is. Only
info is an October release date for the Guide. However, as PNH said, one
shouldn't trust authors on this sort of thing. As usual, it'll be on my
webpage any second now.

-----
JordanRobt: Hi guys!! Thanks for having me
AOLiveMC1: Robert, are you ready for some questions from the audience?
JordanRobt: Yes I am!
AOLiveMC1: Here we go...

Question: I heard the name of book 8 in the WOT series is "The Tower of
Ravens." Is there any truth to that?

JordanRobt: There is no title for Book 8. Not yet. My working title is
"Book 8" and will probably remain that until I am, oh, 2/3 of the way
through the book.

Question: I heard that some of your stuff is being republished. Fallon
books, right?

JordanRobt: That's correct. They are historical novels and I think they
will appeal both to buffs of history novels, "The American Revolution,"
"The War Against the Tripoli Pirates," and also readers of what I have
heard called "sober romances". The people are certainly full-blooded,
shall we say, and there are a number of romances in there.

AOLiveMC1: About those historical novels, where do you get the
information for those? Personal research?

JordanRobt: Yes, and a personal interest in history.

Question: You are truly the master of fantasy Master Jordan. Tolkein is
wonderful, but I'm afraid you eclipse him. Although, you do have fifty
years of experience on him.

JordanRobt: That sounds like the finest kind of butter to me and if you
don't mind, I'll keep one hand on my wallet.

Question: When is Book 8 going to come out?

JordanRobt: Probably in January or February of 1998. I am scheduled to
hand it to the publisher in November of 1997. I have slowed down a little
bit in order to stay alive to the end of the series. My wife, my publisher
and some other people convinced me that I was killing myself maintaining
my old work schedule.

Question: How do you feel about women being admitted to the Citadel?

(Erica? Iddat you?)

JordanRobt: In the first place, I do wish that the school had been able
to remain all male, but the fact is, women are in the Citadel, and as far
as I'm concerned, it's time to get on with the business at hand and stop
grousing about what's past.

Question: In your future WOT books will we start to see things from the
Seanchan perspective?

JordanRobt: It's quite possible, but the only real answer I can give is RAFO.

Question: Any suggestions for authors/books to keep us busy while we wait
for Book 8?

JordanRobt: Yes. Terry Pratchett, Ray Feist, C.S. Freidman, Barry
Hughart, Robert Holdstock, Guy Gabriel Kay, and of course there's George
R. R. Martin's new book. You ought to go back and read anything by John M.
Ford that you can get your hands on.

(John M. Ford? Who he?)

AOLiveMC1: To clarify a point made earlier, what is the RAFO reference to?

JordanRobt: It's an acronym that some people who have been on the net
have tossed at me in face to face meetings and I have tossed back at
others and RAFO means READ AND FIND OUT.

Question: How do you come up with all the details in your stories,
Tel'aran'rhiod, the details of the kingdoms, and the personal histories
and all that?

JordanRobt: A lot of hard work.

Question: How long did it take you to plan the Wheel of Time world?

JordanRobt: A very long time. Almost ten years of thinking about it
before I began writing. And then four years to write "The Eye of the
World." Then roughly 14 months each for the next five books, and about 20
or 21 months for "A Crown of Swords." You see, I have the world planned
out, but quite often details are a work in progress.

AOLiveMC1: Considering that schedule, do you spend every waking minute on
your books or do you do other things in between that prepare you to write?

JordanRobt: I do other things. I fish, although not nearly as often as I
should, just for relaxation purposes, and of course I read. Actually, I
have to read. If I don't read someone else before going to bed, I will lie
there awake all night thinking about my own work and what I want to do
next.

Question: Any chance of seeing the "Wheel of Time" in other media
(television, CD-ROM's, etc.)?

JordanRobt: I don't know about TV certainly, but a company called Legend
Entertainment is working on a "Wheel of Time" role playing game that will
have both strategic and tactical levels and be able to be played against
your own computer or on the Web against other players. I think it should
be interesting. I gave them a number of requirements which all boil down
in a way to ... it should be impossible to play the same game twice.

Question: Any plans for a book of artwork that depicts your vision of the
world in your books?

JordanRobt: Yes, in a way. Next October, there will be "An Illustrated
Guide to the World of The Wheel of Time". Released by Tor Books. It will
have a great deal of information about the back history of the stories and
the world. And also, some 80 or 90 full color illustrations including maps
of the entire world of the Seanchan Empire, maps of the nations of the
Compact of the Ten Nations, and the nations as they existed at the time.
As well as pictures of a number of the individuals from the books. In some
cases those pictures look exactly as I envision the person. In other
cases, the artist and I just couldn't come to a full agreement on what I
was trying to describe. All in all, I am very satisfied with the pictures,
though.

JordanRobt: There will also be about 120-130,000 words of text telling
about things like how the White Tower was founded and why the White Tower
looks monolithic from the outside and so very fractured from the inside.
There will be a good deal of the history of people like Arthur Hawkwing
and the Amerlins for the last thousand years or so.

AOLiveMC1: That's way cool information there... Here's our question...

Question: Is Book 8 the end? If not, is there a plan for when the end will be?

JordanRobt: Book 8 is not the end. There will be at least 3 more books
and I am sorry for that. I have known what the last scene of the last book
would be for quite a long time, 10 or 12 years at least. I just want to
get to it without speeding up my pace.

Question: How much did your military experience influence your writing?

JordanRobt: Some, I suppose, but I don't know that it had any great influence.

Question: Did you base any of the WOT characters on real life friends, or
acquaintances?

JordanRobt: No, with one exception. All of the major female characters
have some part of my wife in them.

Question: How much did Tolkein, or even Edding's Belgariad chronicles
influence the WOT series?

JordanRobt: Edding certainly not at all, and as for Tolkein, only to the
degree that (1) he showed that it was possible to write a very large
series of books, a very large story, and (2) the fact that I purposely did
the first, oh, perhaps 80 pages of "The Eye of the World" as an homage to
Tolkein in a way, that it was set in the same sort of pastoral country
that Tolkein wrote about.

Question: Which of the first seven books is your favorite?

JordanRobt: My favorite book is always the book I'm working on at the moment.

(Gak)

Question: Just curious, but what culture(s) were the Seanchan based on?

JordanRobt: A good deal of Japan, of the Shogunites, Imperial China, and
in general a good many rigid hierarchal stratified societies. Too many to
list really, I suppose.

AOLiveMC1: Speaking of favorites, do you have a favorite character perhaps?

(Double Gak)

JordanRobt: I'm afraid that my favorite character also happens to be
whoever I'm writing at the moment

Question: Does RAFO mean you don't know how it will turn out, or do you
want to keep us in suspense?

JordanRobt: I want to keep you in suspense. If I give away all of the
secrets, sooner or later you guys are going to start saying "Well I know
all of this stuff. He's really gotten boring!"

Question: Did you get any inspiration from Arthurian Legend?

JordanRobt: Quite a bit, along with other Celtic myths and Norse myths
and African and Middle- Eastern, and Hindu and Chinese and Japanese and
Native American and even Australian Aboriginal. Plus some others here and
there to tell you the truth.

Question: Did your purposefully use Neo-Pagan and New Age influences to
develop the WOT series?

JordanRobt: Not knowingly no. I don't think so.

Question: Would you ever consent to a movie?

JordanRobt: Sure! But who's going to make a movie at 16 or 18 hours per
book? If anybody out there actually thinks he can cut one of these books
down to a two hour movie, I suspect he's been drinking something funny !

AOLiveMC1: Well, there's always the option of a mini-series.

Question: Why is there such a long delay before characters return to the
main story? ie: lan.

JordanRobt: Not everybody can be center stage front at the same time.

Question: Are you saying all the characters are based on various cultures
around the world?

JordanRobt: Bits and pieces sometimes. Not the characters, but the
nations are sometimes based on bits and pieces of actual cultures and
quite often it has nothing to do with any culture that I am aware of
consciously.

Question: Robert, do you see yourself as any of the characters?

JordanRobt: I see myself as whoever I happen to be writing at the moment.
Other people have notions... they think I'm this character or that. I'm
everybody.

Question: Do you completely control what the characters do, or do they
occasionally surprise you with their actions ?

JordanRobt: The characters never surprise me. In terms of the book I am
God. A writer who says that the characters take control is doing one of
two things... either he or she is telling people what they want to hear
because a lot of people seem to want to hear that the characters have
taken over... or else, that writer is being exceedingly lazy and not
paying attention. The characters NEVER really take over.

Question: Will there be one artist on the book or a multitude?

JordanRobt: If you mean The Guide, it will be one artist all the way
through, a man named Todd Hamilton.

(Anyone know anything about him?)

Question: Do you ever get tired of people turning every typo in your
books into another plot line?

JordanRobt: No, I just wish I could stop there from being any typos.

AOLiveMC1: Robert, thank you so very much for taking your time to appear
on AOL tonight. Any final comments for your audience?

JordanRobt: Yes guys. Sorry if I was illiterate anywhere. I think I was
in a few places. I am tired tonight. Good night everybody.

AOLiveMC1: And a special thanks to the audience for joining us. Have a
good evening, folks. Until next time, AOL!
-----
Aaron
--
Aaron Bergman -- aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
<http://pantheon.yale.edu/~abergman/>

John S. Novak, III

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

>Question: I heard the name of book 8 in the WOT series is "The Tower of
>Ravens." Is there any truth to that?

I am _so_ disappointed.
Had he said "Pawn of Prophecy" I would have laughed my ass off.

>Question: I heard that some of your stuff is being republished. Fallon
>books, right?

"...And thank you for wasting time with a question that could be
answered with a trip to the bookstore."

>JordanRobt: Yes. Terry Pratchett, Ray Feist, C.S. Freidman, Barry
>Hughart, Robert Holdstock, Guy Gabriel Kay, and of course there's George
>R. R. Martin's new book. You ought to go back and read anything by John M.
>Ford that you can get your hands on.

>(John M. Ford? Who he?)

The only book that comes to mind is _How Much for Just the Planet_
which is a Star Trek book, but a screamingly funny one. It's...
It's... you just have to read it.

And Megan Lindholm seems to think George R. R. Martin is hot stuf,
too. In a Usenet post quite some time ago, she claimed it has
"beautiful writing." Ack.

_The Golden Key_ has beautiful writing (but not much of a strong
plot.) _A Game of Thrones_ does not.

>JordanRobt: Edding certainly not at all, and as for Tolkein, only to the
>degree that (1) he showed that it was possible to write a very large
>series of books, a very large story, and

The Lord of the Rings is a very large series of books?
He should be referencing L-Ron, here, not Tolkien.

> (2) the fact that I purposely did
>the first, oh, perhaps 80 pages of "The Eye of the World" as an homage to
>Tolkein in a way, that it was set in the same sort of pastoral country
>that Tolkein wrote about.

Uh, sorry Bob, try again. Whether he admits it or recognizes it or
not, most of the first book was very similar to the Lord of the Rings.
"Oh, and here's where the extra hobbits come along. And here's where
they're all scattered, and Aragorn and company chase after the
hobbits. And here's where they enter the Dark Caverns and stir up the
Ancient Evil... And look, he even has Nazgul and Orcs chasing them."

There are, obviously, major differences too, but the similarites go
way beyond 80 pages.

>Question: Did you get any inspiration from Arthurian Legend?

Duh, no.
That Sword in the Stone (of Tear) was just a coincidence.

>Question: Do you completely control what the characters do, or do they
>occasionally surprise you with their actions ?

>JordanRobt: The characters never surprise me. In terms of the book I am
>God. A writer who says that the characters take control is doing one of
>two things...

Heh. Sit this man down with JMS of Babylon 5 fame.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@cris.com
http://cegt201.bradley.edu/~jsn/index.html

Jacob Sewell

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

Captain, a sensor scan reveals that aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
(Aaron Bergman) wrote:

>Well, this one looks quite boring--I didn't attend, but here it is. Only
>info is an October release date for the Guide. However, as PNH said, one
>shouldn't trust authors on this sort of thing. As usual, it'll be on my
>webpage any second now.

>-----
>JordanRobt: Hi guys!! Thanks for having me
>AOLiveMC1: Robert, are you ready for some questions from the audience?
>JordanRobt: Yes I am!
>AOLiveMC1: Here we go...

God, this MC is cheesy. I hate him already.

>Question: How do you come up with all the details in your stories,
>Tel'aran'rhiod, the details of the kingdoms, and the personal histories
>and all that?

JordanRobt: The voices, of course. The voices tell me
everything. No, Lews Therin! You're dead! I am Robert Jordan!
Wait, actually, I'm James Oliver Rigney, Jr. Oh, blood and
bloody ashes!

>JordanRobt: A lot of hard work.

>Question: Did you base any of the WOT characters on real life friends, or
>acquaintances?

>JordanRobt: No, with one exception. All of the major female characters
>have some part of my wife in them.

Yowch! I hope she doesn't read that! <Sizzle>

>Question: How much did Tolkein, or even Edding's Belgariad chronicles
>influence the WOT series?

>JordanRobt: Edding certainly not at all, and as for Tolkein, only to the

Fwam! Twice in a row! _That's_ gonna leave a mark...

>Question: Which of the first seven books is your favorite?

>JordanRobt: My favorite book is always the book I'm working on at the moment.

>(Gak)

and Gak again.

>Question: Did you get any inspiration from Arthurian Legend?

No, but the voices sure must have.

>JordanRobt: Quite a bit, along with other Celtic myths and Norse myths
>and African and Middle- Eastern, and Hindu and Chinese and Japanese and
>Native American and even Australian Aboriginal. Plus some others here and
>there to tell you the truth.

>Question: Did your purposefully use Neo-Pagan and New Age influences to
>develop the WOT series?

>JordanRobt: Not knowingly no. I don't think so.

...except for the whole necro-bestiality thing. :P

>Question: Will there be one artist on the book or a multitude?

>JordanRobt: If you mean The Guide, it will be one artist all the way
>through, a man named Todd Hamilton.

Ding, dong, the Sweet is gone... (well, sort of)

>(Anyone know anything about him?)

>Question: Do you ever get tired of people turning every typo in your
>books into another plot line?

You heard it here first, folks. Asmo's death was a typo!

>JordanRobt: No, I just wish I could stop there from being any typos.

Oh, and many thanks to Aaron.

>Aaron
>--
>Aaron Bergman -- aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
><http://pantheon.yale.edu/~abergman/>
>Smoke a cigarette. Slit your throat. Same concept.

Jacob Sewell -- Chancellor of the Exchequer for Palmer House
jase...@midway.uchicago.edu cse...@nckcn.com (summer)
http://student-www.uchicago.edu/users/jasewell/
"Palmer: the House of World Domination. Resistance is feudal."

Dave Ricketts

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

In article <abergman-191...@net176-174.student.yale.edu>, aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu (Aaron Bergman) says:

[Robert Jordan sez]

>in a way to ... it should be impossible to play the same game twice.

Heh, that sounds about right.

>Question: Will there be one artist on the book or a multitude?
>
>JordanRobt: If you mean The Guide, it will be one artist all the way
>through, a man named Todd Hamilton.
>
>(Anyone know anything about him?)

Oooh, please say yes, somebody... inquiring minds want to know.

>Question: Do you ever get tired of people turning every typo in your
>books into another plot line?

Hey! Is that a shot!?

Dave

Don HARLOW

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu (Aaron Bergman) lastatempe skribis:

>Well, this one looks quite boring--I didn't attend, but here it is. Only
>info is an October release date for the Guide. However, as PNH said, one
>shouldn't trust authors on this sort of thing. As usual, it'll be on my
>webpage any second now.

>-----
>JordanRobt: Hi guys!! Thanks for having me

Just a question. Is "JordanRobt" Jordan Robert or Jordan Robot?

>Question: How much did Tolkein, or even Edding's Belgariad chronicles
>influence the WOT series?

>JordanRobt: Edding certainly not at all, and as for Tolkein, only to the
>degree that (1) he showed that it was possible to write a very large
>series of books, a very large story, and (2) the fact that I purposely did
>the first, oh, perhaps 80 pages of "The Eye of the World" as an homage to
>Tolkein in a way, that it was set in the same sort of pastoral country
>that Tolkein wrote about.

(a) Tolkien.

(b) While Jordan may have intended the Two Rivers to be an homage to
the Shire, the two are -- literarily speaking -- quite different. The
Shire is typical rural English countryside (as it used to be, anyway),
and our entire view of it comes through the gentry -- we see nothing
of the human (well, Hobbit) relationships and interactions of the
ordinary inhabitants. From the moment Rand and Tam enter Emond's Field
in chapter one of _The Eye of the World_, the Two Rivers is a human
environment, not just a series of grassy hills broken by occasional
woodlots and hedgerows. Also, the Shire is well-tamed, again like the
English countryside -- the Two Rivers consists in some great measure
of the wild Westwood. Nobody could mistake the environment in which
Rand and Tam live and work for Bilbo Baggins's "hole in the ground" at
Bag End.

The differences aren't too surprising. Tolkien was describing rural
Oxfordshire, as seen by an Oxford resident; Jordan is describing parts
of rural South Carolina, as seen by a Charleston resident. The
differences are fairly obvious to someone who has lived in both
places.

Of course, the case could be made that "broadleaf" and "tabak" are the
same foul weed (sorry, Mr. Jordan!).

Don HARLOW
http://www.webcom.com/~donh/
(English version available at http://www.webcom.com/~donh/dona.html)

Ty Margheim

Oct 20, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/20/96

In article <abergman-191...@net176-174.student.yale.edu>, Aaron
Bergman says something funny...

>Question: Any suggestions for authors/books to keep us busy while we wait
>for Book 8?
>
>JordanRobt: Yes. Terry Pratchett, Ray Feist, C.S. Freidman, Barry
>Hughart, Robert Holdstock,

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Seconded. He's written _Mythago Wood_, _Lavondyss_, and
another that I can never remember the name of. The first
two are excellent and I've never read the third. They are
definitly worth the time.

Ty

Rick Moen

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

John S. Novak, III (J...@cris.com) wrote:
: In <abergman-191...@net176-174.student.yale.edu> aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu (Aaron Bergman) writes:

: >(John M. Ford? Who he?)

: The only book that comes to mind is _How Much for Just the Planet_

: which is a Star Trek book, but a screamingly funny one. It's...
: It's... you just have to read it.

Highest possible recommendation -- especially if you've ever seen
Feydeau farces, enjoyed lousy sci-fi B movies, followed Hitchcock
suspense plots, hummed through Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, or
preferably all of the above.

Also check out another Star Trek novel of his, "The Last Reflection"
(from the Klingon Empire perspective) and a novel wonderfully depicting
space-based culture, "Growing Up Weightless". At this point, I'll
try anything of his, since everything's been good -- and quite
original -- so far.

: >JordanRobt: The characters never surprise me. In terms of the book I am

: >God. A writer who says that the characters take control is doing one of
: >two things...

: Heh. Sit this man down with JMS of Babylon 5 fame.

Hoo-hah. Reserve me a ring-side seat and a flak-jacket, for that one.

--
Cheers, Long ago, there lived a creature with a
Rick Moen voice like a vacuum cleaner. We know little

Ian Ring

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

John S. Novak, III wrote:

> The only book that comes to mind is _How Much for Just the Planet_
> which is a Star Trek book, but a screamingly funny one. It's...
> It's... you just have to read it.

One of the very few ST books worth reading, IMHO. The other one is also
by John Ford, _The Final Reflection_. And damn if it isn't a goddamned
good book. I really recomend it, even if you don't like ST--it barely
has anything to do with ST (an obligatory nod is given to the
traditional main characters in the prologue, after which it's entirely
original). It's especially good if you love chess.

--
Ian Ring

Ian Ring

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Aaron Bergman wrote:

> Question: Did you base any of the WOT characters on real life friends, or
> acquaintances?
>
> JordanRobt: No, with one exception. All of the major female characters
> have some part of my wife in them.

The poor, poor man.

--
Ian Ring

Chad R Orzel

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Rick Moen <ri...@hugin.imat.com> wrote:
>John S. Novak, III (J...@cris.com) wrote:
{Quoting Aaron "Monosyllabic Answer" Bergman:}
>: >(John M. Ford? Who he?)
>
>: The only book that comes to mind is _How Much for Just the Planet_

>: which is a Star Trek book, but a screamingly funny one. It's...
>: It's... you just have to read it.
>
>Highest possible recommendation -- especially if you've ever seen
>Feydeau farces, enjoyed lousy sci-fi B movies, followed Hitchcock
>suspense plots, hummed through Gilbert & Sullivan operettas, or
>preferably all of the above.

One of these days, I really am going to need to buy this...

>Also check out another Star Trek novel of his, "The Last Reflection"
>(from the Klingon Empire perspective) and a novel wonderfully depicting
>space-based culture, "Growing Up Weightless".

Specifically Moon-based, actually. (Well, you could argue for
"space-based," given the FTL drive and trading ships mentioned, but all
the action takes place on the Moon...)

It's an excellent book, whatever you want to call the setting. One of the
best "coming of age" stories I've read in a long, long time.

At this point, I'll
>try anything of his, since everything's been good -- and quite
>original -- so far.

He's also got:

_The Dragon Waiting_ a good alternate history/ historical novel/
whatever, set in the time of Richard III of England. It was an enjoyable
read, but I think I would've appreciated it more if I knew more about the
setting...

_Web of Angels_ which reads sort of like a cross between _Neuromancer_
and Vinge's "True Names"... It tends to be a bit hard to find, but it's
worth looking for.

_Fugue State_ which is very, very odd, and packaged as a Tor (I think)
double with _The Death of Doctor Island_ by Gene Wolfe. A very twisted
combination- made for a weird afternoon's reading...

I've also seen _Casting Fortune_ (years ago, but I've never read it. It
may or may not be a story collection) and, um, _The Princes of the Air_
(or somethign like that) which looks trashy enough (and is in every used
book store in DC) that I haven't felt compelled to buy it.

For the final OBPlug:, Ford has an excellent story/ play in the
_Starlight 1_ anthology edited by everyone's favorite newsposting editor
from Tor. (Source of the .sig quote below, in fact...)

Everything of Ford's that I've read is well worth looking for, and also
fairly hard to find... You can also toss him in with Peter S. Beagle and
John Crowley in the "Authors Who Should Write _Faster,_ Damnit" file...

Note followups and crosspost.

Later,
OilCan

("The truth won't always out, the wages of sin are bankable, and those
who live by the sword perish mostly of syphilis.")

Andrea Lynn Leistra

Oct 21, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/21/96

Aaron Bergman <aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:

>Question: Any suggestions for authors/books to keep us busy while we wait
>for Book 8?
>
>JordanRobt: Yes. Terry Pratchett, Ray Feist, C.S. Freidman, Barry
>Hughart, Robert Holdstock, Guy Gabriel Kay, and of course there's George
>R. R. Martin's new book. You ought to go back and read anything by John M.
>Ford that you can get your hands on.

Second the Hughart recommendation. He wrote _Bridge of Birds_, _The Story
of the Stone_, and _Eight Skilled Gentlemen_; the only one still in print
is _Bridge of Birds_. They're all standalone but with the same
characters, and BoB at least is very, very good - they're fantasies set in
'an ancient China that never was'.

!Peeve: Finding a copy of _The Story of the Stone_ *and* one of _The Long
Run_ at the local used bookstore.

--
Andrea Leistra http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~aleistra
-----

John S. Novak, III

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

In <54giue$9...@elaine22.Stanford.EDU> alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Andrea Lynn Leistra) writes:

>Second the Hughart recommendation. He wrote _Bridge of Birds_, _The Story
>of the Stone_, and _Eight Skilled Gentlemen_; the only one still in print
>is _Bridge of Birds_. They're all standalone but with the same
>characters, and BoB at least is very, very good - they're fantasies set in
>'an ancient China that never was'.

So is _The Story of the Stone_.

>!Peeve: Finding a copy of _The Story of the Stone_ *and* one of _The Long
>Run_ at the local used bookstore.

Peeve: Where the fuck is my copy of _The Story of the Stone_!??!?

Peeve^2: Terry Goodkind wrote another one. Saw it in hardback today.
Looks wretched.

!Peeve: _The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell_. I should have picked
that up. I thought Harry Harrison was dead, or somethin'.

St Erroneous

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

John S. Novak, III <J...@cris.com> wrote:
>Peeve^2: Terry Goodkind wrote another one. Saw it in hardback today.
>Looks wretched.

ObComfortTheNovak: *patpatpat*

Don't worry. I'm sure one of us will read it for you and tell you just
how bad it is. (Kahlan and Richard, special people... *blurgh*) Another
step forward on the road towards experimental sadism. Must take some
pointers on furniture polishing from Chad.

>!Peeve: _The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell_. I should have picked
>that up. I thought Harry Harrison was dead, or somethin'.

There's a new Rat novel? Any hint whether it's better than the imo bad
TSSR Sings the Blues?

#include <PrepreparedApologyForFallingForBlatantTroll.h>

I've loved (despite their failings) the Stainless Steel Rat books since
I was, oh, about 13. For some reason they still manage to tickle my
sense of humour/sarcasm almost 10 years later.

Those and the Silly Dinosaur books probably make up for all of the
Bill The Galactic Hero drek that Harrison will ever produce.

!Peeve: I now possess all three of Harrison's West of Eden books...

-michael (mainly) E
"Right, this is it, I'm turning the computer off now..."
--
- http://goliath.mersinet.co.uk/~ishamael/ - isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk
The Most Homophobic Man on the Net

Kurt Montandon

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) wrote:

<munch a bunch of relevant stuff>

>!Peeve: I now possess all three of Harrison's West of Eden books...

Just curious, are they any good? I've read the first, it was great,
but am hesitant to pick up the others for fear they suck (as in the
Orson Scott Card "Ender's Game" sequel folly, or other less than
wonderful follow-ups to great books).

--
Kurt "I finally finished _Tigana_, hurrah!" Montandon
kmmon...@ucdavis.edu

St Erroneous

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Kurt Montandon <kmmon...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) wrote:
>>!Peeve: I now possess all three of Harrison's West of Eden books...

>Just curious, are they any good? I've read the first, it was great,
>but am hesitant to pick up the others for fear they suck (as in the
>Orson Scott Card "Ender's Game" sequel folly, or other less than
>wonderful follow-ups to great books).

They continue in pretty much the same style. Or rather book two
does. I've only just got book 3, and havn't read it yet.

They deal with a pretty much continuous span of time, iirc, unlike
Speaker for the Dead etc which had little connection by style to
Ender's Game.

Roll on the author-supervised Ender's movie.

>Kurt "I finally finished _Tigana_, hurrah!" Montandon

Congrats.

Dave Hemming

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

On 21 Oct 1996 12:29:18 -0700, alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Andrea Lynn
Leistra) wrote:

~In article <abergman-191...@net176-174.student.yale.edu>,
~Aaron Bergman <aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:
~
[snip RJ's book recommendations]
~
~Second the Hughart recommendation. He wrote _Bridge of Birds_, _The Story
~of the Stone_, and _Eight Skilled Gentlemen_; the only one still in print
~is _Bridge of Birds_. They're all standalone but with the same
~characters, and BoB at least is very, very good - they're fantasies set in
~'an ancient China that never was'.
~
I third it. I've read them, and I have _Eight Skilled Gentlemen_.

(leave a gap so that gratuitous double entendre can be inserted by the TAN
Cabal (TINTC)).

A mystery, extremely funny in places, with ghosts and spirits, likable
characters and a great climax.

Dave
--
A venerable sage with a slight flaw in his character.

Kate Nepveu

Oct 22, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/22/96

Rumor has it that alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU (Andrea Lynn Leistra)
wrote:

>!Peeve: Finding a copy of _The Story of the Stone_ *and* one of _The Long

>Run_ at the local used bookstore.

Peeve: Discovering new authors whose books are almost all out of
print. Here's hoping Moran's "fairly soon" re: reprints really is
soon...

Kate
--
Sometimes, she reflected, she dressed for courage, sometimes for
success, and sometimes for the consolation of knowing that whatever

John S. Novak, III

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

>>!Peeve: _The Stainless Steel Rat Goes to Hell_. I should have picked
>>that up. I thought Harry Harrison was dead, or somethin'.

>There's a new Rat novel? Any hint whether it's better than the imo bad
>TSSR Sings the Blues?

I must have missed that one.
Apparently this one takes a good strong whack at modern religion, as
the Rat's Lovely Roundlimbed Wife gets taken in (I gather, literally
kidnapped, or something) by a cult or something.

I'm not doing justice, go to a bookstore and read the dust-jacket. I
thought it looked screamingly funny, myself, but it wouldn't be the
first time ol' Harry suckered me. (Is there anyone alive who liked _A

>#include <PrepreparedApologyForFallingForBlatantTroll.h>

> The Most Homophobic Man on the Net

I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.

Brian Engler

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

Ty Margheim <tlm...@tam2000.tamu.edu> wrote in article
<54dqpl$b...@news.tamu.edu>...

> Bergman says something funny...

> >Hughart, Robert Holdstock,
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>
> Seconded. He's written _Mythago Wood_, _Lavondyss_, and
> another that I can never remember the name of. The first
> two are excellent and I've never read the third. They are
> definitly worth the time.

Agreed. Holdstock is the only other modern fantasy author that I've
enjoyed reading. _The Hollowing_ is the name you're searching for. It's a
very good book, but it isn't for all Jordan fans. I've loaned my copy out
several times, but only one person finished it. It isn't as action
oriented as tWOT series.

--
Brian Engler ben...@bestnet.com
"The grave is no call to my bar!"--The Horn of Valcheers

Paul Raj Khangure

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

In an Age long past, an Age yet to come, John S. Novak, III wrote:
: In <54hg2s$6...@server3.mersinet.co.uk> isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) writes:

: > The Most Homophobic Man on the Net

:
: I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.

I thought it belonged to K K Ken...

Paul "Moridin" Khangure

--

If you aren't living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.
It is unsporting to engage in a battle of wits against an unarmed opponent.

Andrea Lynn Leistra

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

In article <54ldhb$6...@opera.iinet.net.au>,

Paul Raj Khangure <p...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>In an Age long past, an Age yet to come, John S. Novak, III wrote:
>: In <54hg2s$6...@server3.mersinet.co.uk> isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) writes:
>
>: > The Most Homophobic Man on the Net
>:
>: I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.
>
>I thought it belonged to K K Ken...

Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.

St Erroneous

Oct 23, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/23/96

John S. Novak, III <J...@cris.com> wrote:
>(St Erroneous) writes:

>>There's a new Rat novel? Any hint whether it's better than the imo bad
>>TSSR Sings the Blues?
>I must have missed that one.

I read it in UK hardback, so it had a huge font size. That's the one
thing after being badly written that can guarantee I don't enjoy a
book. Given a choice I get UK paperbacks (generally better covers,
smaller internal fonts, better paper) or US hardbacks (repeat the last
two points).

Compare and contrast US&UK Hyperion covers. At least we didn't give
the Shrike two arms...

I'll have to pick SSRSingsTheBlues up in paperback and see whether it
comes across any better.

Call me shallow. I enjoy Keanu Movies too.

>I'm not doing justice, go to a bookstore and read the dust-jacket. I
>thought it looked screamingly funny, myself, but it wouldn't be the
>first time ol' Harry suckered me. (Is there anyone alive who liked _A

"_A"?

Did my newserver drop a line, or did you hit ctrl-K one too many times?

>> The Most Homophobic Man on the Net
>I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.

Oh, I just borrowed it from him for a while. Fortunately my irony-
detector started overloading and I was forced to fall back on something
less labouriously funny.

-michael (mainly) E

"Was there a category of insurance for having your boat stolen by an undead
sorceror while the owner was away attending a demon-inspired posse? If so,
the rate schedule must be interesting." - CoS, CSFriedman

John S. Novak, III

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

>>I'm not doing justice, go to a bookstore and read the dust-jacket. I
>>thought it looked screamingly funny, myself, but it wouldn't be the
>>first time ol' Harry suckered me. (Is there anyone alive who liked _A

...Trans-Atlantic Tunnel! Hurrah!_ Or a title to that effect.)

>"_A"?
>Did my newserver drop a line, or did you hit ctrl-K one too many times?

Not sure what happened there.

Laura K. Kanemori

Oct 24, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/24/96

It has been said that John S. Novak, III wrote:
> Peeve^2: Terry Goodkind wrote another one. Saw it in hardback today.
> Looks wretched.

The Stone of Tears.
And it is. Wretched that is. But strangely amusing at the same time.
It would have been tolerable if it weren't so horribly similar to the
WoT.

It's really too bad because hidden under all those nails-on-chalkboard
similarities there are actually a few genuinely good and interesting
ideas. Unfortunately, those few gems don't quite save the series. I
bought them used... thank goodness.. and that's about what they are
worth.

Just another (TAN),
Laura Kanemori
kane...@interpath.com

What happens if you're scared half to death... twice?

Kurt Montandon

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

J...@cris.com (John S. Novak, III) wrote:

>In <326FD8...@interpath.com> "Laura K. Kanemori" <kane...@interpath.com> writes:

>>> Peeve^2: Terry Goodkind wrote another one. Saw it in hardback today.
>>> Looks wretched.

>>The Stone of Tears.

>No.
>_Another_ one.
>Really.
>Boggles da mind, dudnit?

Guess what? There's gonna be yet _another one_.
Supposed to have a title with "Fold" and "Blood" in it, IIRC.

Just went browsing for T. Goodkind fansites on the web today,
for the hell of it. Read some reviews, etc. Kind of like looking at
Eddings stuff on the web. It varies between the fans "Terrie Godkinde
is coool" and the critics "a little contrived, and various elements
all too similar to those in other well-known fantasy novels/series."
(paraphrased, at least).

What amazes me is that so many people swallow this drivel as some sort
of standard for fantasy, never imagining that something better is
really out there. (Example- one guy said that Brooks, Tolkien, and
Goodkind, and Eddings were the best fantasy writers ever. I moved
on).

ObSheesh: Sheesh.

Kurt "disgusted with the masses" Montandon

----

"There's a little black spot on the sun today -"
. . . oh wait, that's just the _saa_ in my eyes. . .

ric...@warwick.net

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

: In <54lv35$5...@server3.mersinet.co.uk> isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) writes:

: >>I'm not doing justice, go to a bookstore and read the dust-jacket. I
: >>thought it looked screamingly funny, myself, but it wouldn't be the
: >>first time ol' Harry suckered me. (Is there anyone alive who liked _A

: ...Trans-Atlantic Tunnel! Hurrah!_ Or a title to that effect.)

Well, _I_ liked _A Trans-Atlantic Tunnel, Hurrah!_, but then I also
liked _The Great Time Machine Hoax_, so maybe it's just me. _Bill,
the Galactic Hero_, on the other hand, I didn't enjoy so much. This
may have to do with the fact that I was a teen when I read the first
two, but in my twenties.

Richard Campbell

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

In article <54p6v1$p...@mark.ucdavis.edu>,
Kurt Montandon <kmmon...@ucdavis.edu> wrote:

>What amazes me is that so many people swallow this drivel as some sort
>of standard for fantasy, never imagining that something better is
>really out there. (Example- one guy said that Brooks, Tolkien, and
>Goodkind, and Eddings were the best fantasy writers ever. I moved
>on).

<raises asbestos shield>
Wait...I dunno. I personally like Terry Goodkind...on the other hand,
finding out that the "Wizard's first rule" boiled down to "People are
stupid" hooked me.

I realize Eddings couldn't come up with a different story to save his
life (fantasy that is, "The Losers" I thought was good)...I mean,
he doesn't even change the color of the damn rock from series to series.

I also realize that Piers Anthony has real problems knowing when to stop
writing a series (after book 1, possibly 2).

I loved Dune, I love tWoT, and I enjoy a lot of other sci-fi/fantasy.

However (returning to the original point), I still like Terry Goodkind,
and, if his name must live in infamy, could I please see a little
more "This is poor writing because of: " and a little less "drivel,"
and "my god he wrote another one!"

(I mean, hell, I might agree with you, and just wasn't paying enough
attention the first time through...I buy most of the theories about
tWoT)

--
Richard Campbell "The ants will get him, sure. But not THIS one...
gt3...@prism.gatech.edu And not the one behind him either, goddammit! Don't

Richard Campbell

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

In article <abergman-251...@net166-175.student.yale.edu>,
Aaron Bergman <aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu> wrote:

>Oh, the former has been done. John might even be happy to do it again, but
>the only reason you see "my god he wrote another one" is because the
>various Goodkind peeves have been discussed before.

Ok, suits...although, I'm pretty sure I've seen the Eddings/Anthony
peeves discussed several times...in the time I've been reading raswrj.

John? email or posting ok, and I'm nowhere near as thin-skinned as
RockGoddess.

Richard Campbell gt3...@prism.gatech.edu
--
Dilbert: "I'm tempted to try this chain letter."
Dogbert: "Maybe for your first crime you shouldn't put your name and address

John S. Novak, III

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96

In <326FD8...@interpath.com> "Laura K. Kanemori" <kane...@interpath.com> writes:

>> Peeve^2: Terry Goodkind wrote another one. Saw it in hardback today.
>> Looks wretched.

>The Stone of Tears.

No.
_Another_ one.
Really.
Boggles da mind, dudnit?

>It's really too bad because hidden under all those nails-on-chalkboard

>similarities there are actually a few genuinely good and interesting
>ideas.

Yeah, but it's like bobbing for chocolate kisses in a septic tank.
Pass, thanks all the same.

peter gawdunyk

Oct 25, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/25/96
to Laura K. Kanemori

Laura K. Kanemori wrote:

> > Peeve^2: Terry Goodkind wrote another one. Saw it in hardback today.
> > Looks wretched.
>
> The Stone of Tears.

> And it is. Wretched that is. But strangely amusing at the same time.
> It would have been tolerable if it weren't so horribly similar to the
> WoT.

> Unfortunately, those few gems don't quite save the series. I
> bought them used... thank goodness.. and that's about what they are
> worth.

> Why didn't you post this last week, before I bought Stone of Tears in
hardback?? Though I suppose that Goodkind's first sad attempt, should
have warned me. I guess I'll have to throw Stone in my Eddings pile, for
books that should be incinerated immediatedly. (though if you think about
it, if I had a pile of books, then I'm not really incinerating them
immediatedly am I?)
Remember Kay and Donaldson, Kay and Donaldson and you can't go wrong.
Peter

Aaron Bergman

John S. Novak, III

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

In <54r5b8$d...@acmey.gatech.edu> gt3...@prism.gatech.edu (Richard Campbell) writes:

>John? email or posting ok, and I'm nowhere near as thin-skinned as
>RockGoddess.

I don't know if I have the kind of energy necessary for a rant of
that magnitude. Maybe I'll see if I can find one of my old postings
through Deja News tomorrow.

Richard Campbell

Oct 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/26/96

In article <54scj3$4...@herald.concentric.net>,

John S. Novak, III <J...@cris.com> wrote:

>I don't know if I have the kind of energy necessary for a rant of
>that magnitude. Maybe I'll see if I can find one of my old postings
>through Deja News tomorrow.

Point. I'll take a look myself, and see what I can find.

Magnus Itland

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

kmmon...@ucdavis.edu (Kurt Montandon) wrote:

>isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) wrote:

><munch a bunch of relevant stuff>

>>!Peeve: I now possess all three of Harrison's West of Eden books...

>Just curious, are they any good? I've read the first, it was great,
>but am hesitant to pick up the others for fear they suck (as in the
>Orson Scott Card "Ender's Game" sequel folly, or other less than
>wonderful follow-ups to great books).

They are all of the same quality and style, as far as I can see.
Actually, it is very similar to one triple sized book.
Of course this means that the sense of novelty slowly wears off,
but not totally as some new concepts are thrown in, especially in
book two.
Could be Harry's best work, though I am also partial of Viking-related

"the Hammer and the Cross" and "One King's Way" (but this could be due
to my heritage).

--
itl...@sn.no The one and only Magnus Itland
No, you're wealthy, not rich.

ric...@warwick.net

Oct 29, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/29/96

Magnus Itland (itl...@sn.no) wrote:
: Could be Harry's best work, though I am also partial of Viking-related

: "the Hammer and the Cross" and "One King's Way" (but this could be due
: to my heritage).

"King and Emperor", the concluding volume, is out in hardcover in the
US. Speaking of Viking related stuff by Harrison, he also wrote "The
Technicolor Time Machine", which deals with the Viking discovery of
America in a humorous way.

Kenneth Cavness

Oct 30, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/30/96

Andrea Lynn Leistra (alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: In article <54ldhb$6...@opera.iinet.net.au>,

: Paul Raj Khangure <p...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
: >In an Age long past, an Age yet to come, John S. Novak, III wrote:
: >

: >:
: >: I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.
: >
: >I thought it belonged to K K Ken...

: Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.

"I'm not dead yet!"

--
Kenneth G. Cavness
http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~cavness

Michael Steeves

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

star...@zilker.net (Kenneth Cavness) wrote:
> Andrea Lynn Leistra (alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
> : Paul Raj Khangure <p...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
> : >I thought it belonged to K K Ken...
> : Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.
> "I'm not dead yet!"

There are so many straight lines (Oh! The humanity!) that can
be said here, I will immediately lie down and not think of
Jooodie.

-darkelf
--
Mike Steeves mste...@tiac.net
Death before dishonor / Drugs before lunch

Paul Raj Khangure

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

In an Age long past, an Age yet to come, Kenneth Cavness wrote:
: Andrea Lynn Leistra (alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: : Paul Raj Khangure <p...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
: : >In an Age long past, an Age yet to come, John S. Novak, III wrote:
: : >: In <54hg2s$6...@server3.mersinet.co.uk> isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) writes:
: : >: > The Most Homophobic Man on the Net
: : >: I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.
: : >I thought it belonged to K K Ken...

: : Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.
: "I'm not dead yet!"

Famous last words.

But seriously, it's good you're alive, we don't need to hear all about
necrophilia.

John W. Schwegler

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Here's one example repost from DejaNews:

------------------------ Repost: ---------------------------------

Subject: Re: Goodkind copies Jordan BigTime!
From: j...@cegt201.bradley.edu (John Novak)
Date: 1996/02/03
Newsgroups: rec.arts.sf.written.robert-Jordan

In <19960203.7...@shadow.res.cmu.edu> mhu...@shadow.res.cmu.edu (Matthew Hunter) writes:

> That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with genre fantasy, just
>not horribly original in thought.

Or expression.
Good grief, I forgot all about some things, on which I had ranted
before. (There's a thread going on in rasfw, right now, with even
more comments to ward off the unwary).

Richard has a brother, named Michael.

On the VERY FIRST PAGE of the book, we can all tell that Michael is
going to be an asshole, if not a villain. In the first freakin'
paragraph of the book, he's already set up as the antithesis of
Richard, Our Hero. See, Michael doesn't like the outdoors and woods,
but spends his time with "people of means".

It's so utterly transparent, even on the first page, that Michael is a
Bad Dude, it's almost funny.

By fifteen pages in, we have confirmation that Michael is a paranoid
asshole, or that he's an actively plotting scuzz-bucket, because he's
pulled the _border guards_ away from their posts to be his personal
fucking body guards. This would b the magical border that everyone in
the Westlands is terrified of seeing fall, but which, if memory serves
is in the process of falling even now.

And he pulls the guards away.

And by twenty five pages in, we know that everyone except Our Heroes
are complete morons. You see, not only does Michael talk like the
worst caricatures of American modern politicians, but the crowd
doesn't boo him off his podium when he makes his speech. Michael, it
turns out, wants to set up a commission to investigate the evils and
dangers of fire (fire! Like, cook fires and lantern fires!) because
too many people are getting hurt by it! "We've got to save the
chilllllldrun! Save the chilllllldrun from the eeeeevils of fire!
Our chillllldrun should not have to live in fear of fire!"

Jesus Christ.

And from this, of course, we infer that whoever is behind Michael has
a fire fetish. And you know what? We're _right_. All of this in the
first 25 pages of the book. Rabid supporters of Goodkind might call
this good characterization, efficient use of language, and
foreshadowing.

One of the rasfw'ers claimed that the "efficient use of language" may
have been just that, but only slightly less efficient than hanging a
sign above Michael that says "I am a Bad Guy!" Annoyingly enough, he
thought of it before I did. The good characterization, I would claim
is not good characterization but merely the sketching out of one
dimensional archetypes with all the skill fo a five year old with a
crayon. And the foreshadowing may be foreshadowing, but it's done
with a fucking sledgehammer. It made my brain hurt.

We do, by the way, later learn that Rahl hates fire (I think he lost
his mother or father or someone to a fire) and has made it law that no
one can light a fire in his lands unless they have a permit, or
something.

"Characterization!"
"Bullshit."

We're not even going to go into how the book was a painfully
transparent anti-Communism screed, either. It's been done much better
over in rasfw. But here's a hint-- look at the map. In D'Harra? See
that dot? The Peoples' Palace? You do the math. It's not even a
_good_ anti-Communism screed, it's flat, boring and unimaginative.

It's maybe a step up above Ayn Rand's _Atlas Shrugged_.

And that's perhaps the best thing I can say for it-- "It's not as bad
as _Atlas Shrugged_." But it's close. And don't get me started on
Ayn Rand.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@cegt201.bradley.edu

http://cegt201.bradley.edu/~jsn/index.html
The Humblest Man on the Net

St Erroneous

Oct 31, 1996, 3:00:00 AM10/31/96

Kenneth Cavness <star...@zilker.net> wrote:
>Andrea Lynn Leistra (alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
>: In article <54ldhb$6...@opera.iinet.net.au>,

>: Paul Raj Khangure <p...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>: >In an Age long past, an Age yet to come, John S. Novak, III wrote:
>: >: isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) writes:
>: >: > The Most Homophobic Man on the Net [sigfile]

>: >: I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.
>: >I thought it belonged to K K Ken...
>: Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.
>"I'm not dead yet!"

<poke, prod>

Well hurry up and get on with it. There's a queue of people
waiting for that sig and the rain's making their
mascara run.

>Kenneth G. Cavness

-michael (when I were a lad people knew how to die _properly_)
--
St michael (mainly) Erroneous http://goliath.mersinet.co.uk/~ishamael/
email: isha...@mersinet.co.uk goth.codev2.5a GoPS3??10 TJtIn cDBRs3 PLENi

Kenneth Cavness

Nov 1, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/1/96

St Erroneous (isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk) wrote:
> Kenneth Cavness <star...@zilker.net> wrote:
>> Andrea Lynn Leistra (alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:

>>> Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.

>> "I'm not dead yet!"

> <poke, prod>

> Well hurry up and get on with it. There's a queue of people
> waiting for that sig and the rain's making their
> mascara run.

I had no idea that Tammy Faye Baker was a WOT fan.

: -michael (when I were a lad people knew how to die _properly_)

"The rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated." [-1 pt]

John W. Schwegler

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

St Erroneous (isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk) wrote:
: Kenneth Cavness <star...@zilker.net> wrote:
: >Andrea Lynn Leistra (alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
: >: In article <54ldhb$6...@opera.iinet.net.au>,

: >: Paul Raj Khangure <p...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
: >: >In an Age long past, an Age yet to come, John S. Novak, III wrote:
: >: >: isha...@goliath.mersinet.co.uk (St Erroneous) writes:
: >: >: > The Most Homophobic Man on the Net [sigfile]

: >: >: I thought that one belonged to Wyrick.
: >: >I thought it belonged to K K Ken...

: >: Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.

: >"I'm not dead yet!"

: <poke, prod>

: Well hurry up and get on with it. There's a queue of people
: waiting for that sig and the rain's making their
: mascara run.

For some reason, I read this as "the rain's making their massacre run".
I think I like it better that way. A definitive interpretation is left
as an exercise for the reader.

-john
"Genius may have its limitations, | John Schwegler
but stupidity is not thus | Temple U. Auditory Research Dept.
handicapped." | jo...@flower.aud.temple.edu
- Elbert Hubbard | (215) 707-3687 FAX 707-3650

Judy E Ghirardelli

Nov 4, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/4/96

In article <559bic$9...@news-central.tiac.net>,
Michael Steeves <mste...@tiac.net> wrote:

>star...@zilker.net (Kenneth Cavness) wrote:
>> Andrea Lynn Leistra (alei...@leland.Stanford.EDU) wrote:
>> : Paul Raj Khangure <p...@opera.iinet.net.au> wrote:
>> : >I thought it belonged to K K Ken...
>> : Nah, he was 'The Straightest Man on the Net'.
>> "I'm not dead yet!"
>
>There are so many straight lines (Oh! The humanity!) that can
>be said here, I will immediately lie down and not think of
>Jooodie.
>
>-darkelf

In this group, there once was a poster named Piglet,
Who one day grepped on "I'm not dead yet!".
When she saw it was Steeves,
She swore to never again leave,
and remains the Smallest Animal on the Net.

:)

Piglet
--
Judy Ghirardelli || Love is Always , Me is Life
ju...@charm.net || Forever is just another Smile

Michael Steeves

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

ju...@fellspt.charm.net (Judy E Ghirardelli) wrote:

> Michael Steeves <mste...@tiac.net> wrote:
> >There are so many straight lines (Oh! The humanity!) that can
> >be said here, I will immediately lie down and not think of
> >Jooodie.
> In this group, there once was a poster named Piglet,
> Who one day grepped on "I'm not dead yet!".
> When she saw it was Steeves,
> She swore to never again leave,
> and remains the Smallest Animal on the Net.

Is this a Love Poeme, and if so will Warder be mad at me...?

-darkelf
Who already knows that his Aes Sedai will be having
words with him due to his recent outbreak of skirt
chasing.

Judy E Ghirardelli

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

In article <55m97h$k...@news-central.tiac.net>,

Michael Steeves <mste...@tiac.net> wrote:
>ju...@fellspt.charm.net (Judy E Ghirardelli) wrote:
>> Michael Steeves <mste...@tiac.net> wrote:
>> >There are so many straight lines (Oh! The humanity!) that can
>> >be said here, I will immediately lie down and not think of
>> >Jooodie.
>> In this group, there once was a poster named Piglet,
>> Who one day grepped on "I'm not dead yet!".
>> When she saw it was Steeves,
>> She swore to never again leave,
>> and remains the Smallest Animal on the Net.
>
>Is this a Love Poeme, and if so will Warder be mad at me...?

Dear Darkelf with the Pointy Ears,

My dear, you would know it by now if Warder were mad at you.

Right Dylan?

Bonehead

Nov 5, 1996, 3:00:00 AM11/5/96

}
}Dear Darkelf with the Pointy Ears,
}
}My dear, you would know it by now if Warder were mad at you.
}
}Right Dylan?

Warder's a wimp[1].

--