TAN: Generic Inflammatory Statement

Christopher Tong

Mar 16, 2001, 4:21:24 PM3/16/01

Jay Wiggins wrote:

> On 16 Mar 2001 18:36:47 GMT, mh...@prince.carleton.ca (Michael Hoye)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <tfj4btktqb3sng871...@4ax.com>,
> >Jay Wiggins <jaywi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>

> >>Question about being the only one who thinks this? Expression of
> >>anger!
> >
> >Sarcastic comment; referral to FAQ.
> >
> >>Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion
> >>and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!
> >
> >Evidence to the contrary, disparaging comment.
> >

> .aol.com>
>
> <<Quote from previous post taken out of context>>
>
> Accusation of personal attack! Oft-bandied about phrases including
> "ad hominem" and "vituperative". Whiny defensive plea not to attack
> person who posted.

[ ] Reference to later statements in post as evidence of hypocrisy.
[ ] Snide, remark about original poster and speed at which this poster
has leapt to his defense
[ ] implication of relationship between original poster and current
poster.
[ ] lamentation about parallels between this post and solidarity
between thieves
[ ] Advisory not to post if one is so thin skinned.

> Suggestion that poster misread earlier statement. Restatement of
> earlier premise, with subtle changes that may actually change entire
> argument.

[ ] Statement that one is perfectly capable of reading.

[ ] Arguments presented in a most condescending tone.

[ ] Further tiresome restatement of the TRVE original argument
[ ] Optional battering down of strawmen in vicinity

[ ] Getting down to the real ad homineum attacks like:
[ ] parentage
[ ] arguments held years before
[ ] shady business dealings involving on-line auction houses.
[ ] past encouragement of net.kooks
[ ] past support of paedophilia
[ ] accompanied evidence of ongoing activities.
[ ] command of army of EVIL TEENAGE TROLLS

> Description of hands thrown up, as it is futile to deal with people
> who "just don't get it."

[ ] Terse one-line comment about self-reference.

<snip comments unworthy of comment>

--
"Short .sig" referencing no-one in particular

jamie

Mar 16, 2001, 3:32:09 PM3/16/01
Jay Wiggins <jaywi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

><<Quote from previous post taken out of context>>
>
>Accusation of personal attack! Oft-bandied about phrases including
>"ad hominem" and "vituperative". Whiny defensive plea not to attack
>person who posted.
>
>Suggestion that poster misread earlier statement. Restatement of
>earlier premise, with subtle changes that may actually change entire
>argument.
>
>Description of hands thrown up, as it is futile to deal with people
>who "just don't get it."
>
>Statement demonstrating facile grasp of the obvious.
>
>Mild taunt.

Expressions of mild shock and hypersensitivity regarding rudeness
of group.

Noisy faux plonking of participants.

--
jamie (mj...@austin.rr.com)

"There's a seeker born every minute."

Jay Wiggins

Mar 16, 2001, 12:31:20 PM3/16/01

Question about being the only one who thinks this? Expression of
anger!

Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion
and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!

Manipulative plea for rabble to be roused.

List of evidence:

1) Emotional judgement call.
2) Imaginary pattern perceived in the chaos.
3) Completely fallacious conclusion.

Expression of sickness and tiredness. Declaration that any reader who
debates this subject is an enemy.

Sarcastic, mocking term invented for the enemy. Suggestion that there
are no exceptions to the rule, all enemies are "this term". Further
suggestion that this subject is debatable only because the enemies are
in the majority, and the majority does not understand the Real Truth.

Request for rational discussion to follow.

Signature
"Witty Quote by Someone You Should Know" -- Someone You Don't Know

Michael Hoye

Mar 16, 2001, 1:36:47 PM3/16/01
In article <tfj4btktqb3sng871...@4ax.com>,
Jay Wiggins <jaywi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Question about being the only one who thinks this? Expression of
>anger!

Sarcastic comment; referral to FAQ.

>Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion

>and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!

Evidence to the contrary, disparaging comment.

Further evidence to the contrary, referral to FAQ, further disparaging
comments.

Further comment about post formatting, sarcasm painted with a thin veneer
of helpful advice, disparaging comment.

Brief paragraph pining for better days when newbies new their place /
lurked / read FAQ without prompting.

>Expression of sickness and tiredness. Declaration that any reader who
>debates this subject is an enemy.

Paragraph essentially volonteering for that position, further disparaging
comment. Disparaging comments referring to texture of the author's brain
material, origin / breeding habits of ancestors, ability to comprehend
basic ideas and employ basic tools.

Further comments along these lines if the post is from Australia, pointed
comments about grammar and spelling if not.

>Sarcastic, mocking term invented for the enemy. Suggestion that there
>are no exceptions to the rule, all enemies are "this term". Further
>suggestion that this subject is debatable only because the enemies are
>in the majority, and the majority does not understand the Real Truth.
>
>Request for rational discussion to follow.

Referral to alt.fan.robert-jordan. Suggestion that author's post and/or
demeanor would be a better fit in that newsgroup, disparagement of said
newsgroup.

Traditional last paragraph about a door hitting the author's ass on the
way out.

--
Mike Hoye

Mike Kozlowski

Mar 16, 2001, 2:02:19 PM3/16/01
In article <98tmfv$6b5$1...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>,
Michael Hoye <mh...@prince.carleton.ca> wrote:

>Brief paragraph pining for better days when newbies new their place /
>lurked / read FAQ without prompting.

Mildly sarcastic, yet somehow incredibly hilarious, comment pointing out
obvious typo.

>Paragraph essentially volonteering for that position, further disparaging
>comment.

Increasingly sarcastic, yet even more hilarious, comment mocking spelling
difficulties.

Brief paragraph that concisely and lucidly expostulates an idea in
hitherto unthought-of ways, with typical dazzling brilliance and limber
wordplay, and with light touches of humor that nevertheless put to shame
attempts at same by lesser mortals. A single sentence of such
transcendent genius that the entire future course of the world is
irrevocably altered upon its writing.

(A parenthetical recognition that posting becomes much easier when
implementation is left as an exercise for the reader.)

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/

Jay Wiggins

Mar 16, 2001, 2:08:53 PM3/16/01
wrote:

>In article <tfj4btktqb3sng871...@4ax.com>,

>Jay Wiggins <jaywi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>

>>Question about being the only one who thinks this? Expression of
>>anger!
>
>Sarcastic comment; referral to FAQ.
>
>>Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion
>>and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!
>
>Evidence to the contrary, disparaging comment.

.aol.com>

Kenneth G. Cavness

Mar 16, 2001, 2:17:03 PM3/16/01
Foolishly giving up the right to remain silent,
Mike Kozlowski <m...@klio.org>wrote:

> In article <98tmfv$6b5$1...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>,
> Michael Hoye <mh...@prince.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
> >Brief paragraph pining for better days when newbies new their place /
> >lurked / read FAQ without prompting.
>
> Mildly sarcastic, yet somehow incredibly hilarious, comment pointing out
> obvious typo.
>
> >Paragraph essentially volonteering for that position, further disparaging
> >comment.
>
> Increasingly sarcastic, yet even more hilarious, comment mocking spelling
> difficulties.
>
> Brief paragraph that concisely and lucidly expostulates an idea in
> hitherto unthought-of ways, with typical dazzling brilliance and limber
> wordplay, and with light touches of humor that nevertheless put to shame
> attempts at same by lesser mortals. A single sentence of such
> transcendent genius that the entire future course of the world is
> irrevocably altered upon its writing.

One-line comment disparaging rodentia.

OR:

Long expository piece (likely incorrect) explaining in excruciating
detail how extremely wrong you are, and how silly you should feel in
having posted at all. A few comments on how you aren't staying on the
topic of discussion.

--
Kenneth G. Cavness
http://stargoat.dynip.com/ (Actual site coming soon!)

Darrell

Mar 16, 2001, 2:43:35 PM3/16/01

Dear:

[ ] Anonymous remailer
[ ] AOLer/Web TVer/Deja.com user
[X] Braindead
[ ] Clown
[ ] Clueless Newbie
[X] Cretin
[ ] Evolutionary Dead End
[ ] "Expert"
[ ] Fiend
[ ] Fundamentalist
[ ] Idiot
[ ] Kook
[ ] Lamer
[ ] "Me too"-er
[ ] Misguided twit
[ ] Nazi
[ ] Net.cop
[ ] "Objectivist"
[ ] Pervert
[ ] Racist
[ ] Scientologist
[ ] Satanist
[ ] Spammer
[ ] (political spammer)
[ ] (racist spammer)
[ ] (religious spammer)
[ ] Tool
[ ] Troller
[ ] Unbearably self-righteous person
[ ] WaReZdOOd
[ ] Waster of bandwidth
[ ] Miscellaneous loser

You are being flamed because:

[X] I just don't like you
[ ] any more
[ ] and never did
[X] and no one else does either
[ ] You are a filthy Ferengi
[ ] You are a pathetic loser
[ ] You are a spammer
[ ] FREE MONEY! spammer
[ ] political spammer
[ ] porn-site spammer
[ ] religious spammer
[ ] anti-religious spammer
- but still a spammer!
[ ] You are a troller
[ ] You posted a "YOU ALL SUCK" message
[ ] You said "X rules, Y sucks" and gave no support for your lame
statement
[ ] You posted a blatantly obvious troll
[ ] again
[ ] You are desperate for attention
[ ] You are not funny OR clever
[ ] You asked for replies via email because you "don't read this echo"
[ ] You cannot recognize sarcasm
[ ] You crossposted
[ ] to far too many groups
[ ] to the wrong groups
[ ] You defended a WaReZdOOd
[ ] You don't know which group to post in
[ ] You flamed someone
[ ] who has been around far longer than you
[ ] who is far more intelligent and witty than you
[ ] for a spelling error
[ ] and you misspelled something in the process
[ ] and considering who you flamed, that's sad
[ ] You followed up to a blatantly obvious troll
[ ] and you took them seriously
[ ] You go through ISPs like most people go through underwear
[ ] You have failed to understand
[ ] the subject of discussion
[ ] the purpose of the group(s)
[ ] the purpose of the Usenet
[ ] the purpose of normal human communication
[ ] the difference between the WWW and the Usenet.
[ ] You have, quite simply, failed to understand.
[ ] and your lack of understanding is really disgusting!
[X] You have no grasp of the intricate nature of the English language
[X] You have posted absolute garbage and I can tell you that I don't
say that just because I don't like you.
[ ] You made a post yet failed to say anything
[ ] after quoting an entire post and adding a reply of 0 LINES
[ ] even remotely relevant to the current topic or thread
[ ] You make no sense
[ ] You make questionable postings to this NG using
[ ] a puppet alias after being net-copped under the last one
[ ] AOL
[ ] Web TV
[ ] deja.com
[ ] not even your brain...
[ ] You must have spent your entire life in a box to be this clueless
[ ] You obviously don't know anything about the topic at hand but
pretend to be an encyclopedia and to know more than Newton,
Ohm, Voltaire et al.
[ ] You offered WAREZ
[ ] You posted a binary in a non-binaries group
[ ] You posted a followup to crossposted robot-generated spam
[ ] You posted a "test" in a discussion group rather than in alt.test
[ ] You posted in
[ ] ALL CAPS
[ ] eLiTe CaPs
[ ] HTML
[ ] a language inappropriate to this newsgroup
[ ] You post messages like this far too often to this newsgroup
[ ] You predicted the "Imminent Death of the Net(tm)"
[ ] You requested WAREZ
[X] Your argument is invalid because it relies upon
[X] emotional reactions elicited by
[X] cynical exploitation of a tragedy
[X] envy and greed
[X] fear-mongering
[X] hatred
[X] erroneous factual claims
[ ] supported by misleading statistics
[X] which you obviously pulled out of thin air
[X] logical fallacies, including
[X] ad hominem attacks
[X] circular reasoning
[X] equating correlation with causation (post hoc fallacy)
[ ] non sequiturs
[X] manipulating the definitions of words
[ ] including the word "is"
[ ] violations of scientific principles known since the time of
[ ] Einstein
[ ] Newton
[ ] Aristotle
[ ] Neanderthal Man
[ ] Your margin settings (or lack thereof) make your post unreadable
[ ] Your message contained obvious off-topic material
[ ] a chain letter
[ ] ... and you cheated by moving your name up the list
[ ] the tired old urban legend about
[ ] setting a world record for get-well cards
[ ] the FCC modem tax proposal
[ ] the earth being hollow
[ ] the Holocaust / moon landing never happening
[ ] the Roswell landing / engineering of AIDS that did happen
[ ] spammed advertising
[ ] for an obvious scam
[ ] for a porno web site
[ ] soliciting the recipient to break the law
[ ] by building a gadget to steal cable TV
[ ] by participating in a pyramid scam
[X] Your post was
[ ] an obvious forgery
[ ] and was a particularly clumsy attempt
[X] lame
[ ] stupid
[ ] grossly offensive
[ ] obscene
[ ] and revealed more than we wanted to know about you
[ ] an obvious troll
[ ] was an obvious imitation of others of this type
[ ] and it was done much better the first time
[ ] Your sig
[ ] is longer than your response
[ ] and it makes no sense whatsoever
[ ] and it contains the same kind of garbage as your post!
[ ] is more than four lines long
[ ] and is larger than the main body of your post
[ ] lists snail mail address(es)
[ ] lists phone numbers for people to use in prank calls
[X] includes (mark all that apply)
[ ] a stupid disclaimer
[ ] your attempt to be witty in the disclaimer failed
[ ] miserably
[ ] a stupid self-quote
[X] a stupid quote from a net.nobody
[ ] a binary attachment in a text-only newsgroup
[ ] You said "me too" to something
[ ] You started a flamewar
[ ] by flaming someone in a stupid way
[ ] by trolling
[ ] by kooking
[ ] You started a long, stupid thread
[ ] and you continued to feed it
[ ] and you keep starting more of them!
[ ] You suck!
[ ] Any of these things has surely been pointed out to you before
[ ] ad nauseam
[ ] and you don't bother to listen

To repent, you must:

[ ] Beg for forgiveness
[ ] Be the guest of honor for a month in
[ ] ... alt.flame
[ ] ... alt.newbies
[ ] ... alt.test
[ ] Buy a legitimate copy of all your pirated junk
[ ] Don't bother getting a new account when this one is pulled
[ ] Eat your modem
[ ] Give up your AOL account / Web TV / Browser / Newsreader
[ ] Go find a hose
[ ] Go hide under a Bridge. If you do not have a bridge, we can
sell you one named Brooklyn
[ ] Go to the top of the Empire State Building / CN Tower and attempt
to defy gravity
[ ] Hit your head hard against the nearest wall
[ ] Lace your aftershave / makeup / deodorant with mace for a week
[ ] Learn how to spell and use English properly
[ ] ... and as you can't even use
[ ] English
[ ] your mother language
properly, don't dare trying to use other languages!
[ ] Learn to turn off the CAPS LOCK before you type and how to use
the Shift key the right way
[ ] Live what you preach
[X] Play Russian Roulette with a semiautomatic pistol
[ ] Post only to alt.test for a month
[ ] Promise that you won't post such garbage anymore
[ ] Read all newbie FAQs that you can find
[ ] and read them again
[ ] and pay attention this time
[ ] and memorize them all
[ ] and when you've finished that, read the FAQ of *this* NG!
[ ] Read every newsgroup you posted to for a week
[ ] Refrain from posting until you have a vague idea what you're doing
[ ] Remove yourself from the gene pool
[ ] in a manner that qualifies you for next year's Darwin Award
[ ] Return to your home planet
[ ] and destroy it
[ ] See how far your tongue will fit into the electric outlet
[ ] See how long it takes to fall down the Grand Canyon
[ ] Shove a Cinnabon into your computer. Without replacing the case,
ground yourself to the Power Supply and turn computer on
[ ] Take some time off the net. You may return after you:
[ ] evolve into an intelligent life form
[ ] get a clue (If necessary, buy one!)
[ ] get a life
[ ] grow up
[ ] place yourself under the supervision of a
[ ] mental health professional
[ ] parole officer
[ ] responsible adult
[ ] start taking your medication again
[ ] write 500 times "I will not expose my ignorance in public"
[X] Tell your Mommy to up your medication
[ ] Type format c: /u at your nearest DOS prompt
[ ] Wear a T-shirt with the words
[ ] "I am an idiot" (front)
[ ] "kick me" (back)
[ ] "Learn what you know. Share what you don't."
for the next two months.

In closing, I would like to say

[ ] AOL/Web TV/deja.com sucks!
[ ] Buy your own software!
[ ] CAPS LOCK! It's on the left!
[ ] Die, spammer!
[ ] Go away!
[ ] ... again!
[ ] HTML belongs on the WWW, not on Usenet
[ ] I pity your dog / sheep / gerbil / whatever
[ ] Learn to read headers!
[ ] Never post again!
[ ] ... especially not such crap!
[X] Thank you for your sterling illustration of the wonders of
inbreeding.
[ ] The number of lines to your actual response is equivalent to the
square of your IQ.
[X] You suck!

This has probably been around for a while, but I just saw it recently and
it seemed to fit the thread's theme.

Darrell

The Jimster

Mar 16, 2001, 2:48:33 PM3/16/01

Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe server.

Jim

--

"You're looking at a meltdown from the Colbster." -- Survivor Colby

Kate Nepveu

Mar 16, 2001, 3:36:01 PM3/16/01
The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:
> Michael Hoye wrote:

> >Traditional last paragraph about a door hitting the author's ass on the
> >way out.

> Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe server.

Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
talking past each other.

Kate
--
http://www.steelypips.org/elsewhere.html -- Paired Reading Page; Reviews
"I wouldn't be satisfied with a life lived solely on the barricades. I

Kenneth G. Cavness

Mar 16, 2001, 5:19:57 PM3/16/01
Kate Nepveu <kh...@pantheon.yale.edu>wrote:

> The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:
> > Michael Hoye wrote:
>
> > >Traditional last paragraph about a door hitting the author's ass on the
> > >way out.
>
> > Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe server.
>
> Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
> brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
> talking past each other.

Traditional debate about being Mean to Newbies; banal claims that the
group is not a clique and does not have a Hive Mind; expected claim
of hoards of email supporters.

John Johnson

Mar 16, 2001, 5:46:47 PM3/16/01

"Mike Kozlowski" <m...@klio.org> wrote in message

> In article <98tmfv$6b5$1...@bertrand.ccs.carleton.ca>,
> Michael Hoye <mh...@prince.carleton.ca> wrote:
>
> >Brief paragraph pining for better days when newbies new their place /
> >lurked / read FAQ without prompting.
>
> Mildly sarcastic, yet somehow incredibly hilarious, comment pointing out
> obvious typo.

Increasingly sarcastic comments about the difference between a simple typo
and an inability to spell

> >Paragraph essentially volonteering for that position, further disparaging
> >comment.
>
> Increasingly sarcastic, yet even more hilarious, comment mocking spelling
> difficulties.

Biting comment referring to previous statements and the poster's inability
to read/comprehend/think.

> Brief paragraph that concisely and lucidly expostulates an idea in
> hitherto unthought-of ways, with typical dazzling brilliance and limber
> wordplay, and with light touches of humor that nevertheless put to shame
> attempts at same by lesser mortals. A single sentence of such
> transcendent genius that the entire future course of the world is
> irrevocably altered upon its writing.

Paragraph explaining how the previous comments were completely unrelated to
the current argument, and a sentence or two expressing a deep contempt for
the individual who didn't realize that.

--

John Johnson

"A cry in the dark . . ." http://johnajohnson.diaryland.com

Trent Goulding

Mar 16, 2001, 5:42:52 PM3/16/01
kh...@pantheon.yale.edu (Kate Nepveu) wrote:
>The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:
>> Michael Hoye wrote:
>
>> >Traditional last paragraph about a door hitting the author's ass on the
>> >way out.
>
>> Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe server.
>
>Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
>brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
>talking past each other.

Expressions of amusement that minor contretemps always manage to get
participants so exercised; agreement that indeed nothing will be
settled because no one is listening to anyone else.

Nascent and inevitable divergence from putative thread topic
signalled by deftly taking previous poster's sentence completely out
of context and using it as foundation for New Topic.

Implicit invitation for reasonable people to abandon increasingly
boring flammage du jour and join discussion of New Topic in
interesting and witty ways.

--
Trent Goulding goul...@2001.law.ucla.edu

The Jimster

Mar 16, 2001, 5:19:58 PM3/16/01
Kate Nepveu wrote:
>The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:
>> Michael Hoye wrote:
>
>> >Traditional last paragraph about a door hitting the author's ass on the
>> >way out.
>
>> Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe server.
>
>Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
>brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
>talking past each other.

Expletive-laced diatribe invoking First Amendment right to post whatever
because it's a free country. Vehement refusal to read FAQ because by
Jordan's own words FAQ is only 1/3 correct.

John Johnson

Mar 16, 2001, 5:56:52 PM3/16/01

"Jay Wiggins" <jaywi...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> On 16 Mar 2001 18:36:47 GMT, mh...@prince.carleton.ca (Michael Hoye)
> wrote:
>
> >In article <tfj4btktqb3sng871...@4ax.com>,
> >Jay Wiggins <jaywi...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >>

> >>Question about being the only one who thinks this? Expression of
> >>anger!
> >
> >Sarcastic comment; referral to FAQ.
> >
> >>Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion
> >>and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!
> >
> >Evidence to the contrary, disparaging comment.
> >

> .aol.com>

<web.tv>

> <<Quote from previous post taken out of context>>
>
> Accusation of personal attack! Oft-bandied about phrases including
> "ad hominem" and "vituperative". Whiny defensive plea not to attack
> person who posted.

Comments about the "meeness" of the oldbies.

> Suggestion that poster misread earlier statement. Restatement of
> earlier premise, with subtle changes that may actually change entire
> argument.
>
> Description of hands thrown up, as it is futile to deal with people
> who "just don't get it."

More hands being thrown up, with comments about pots, kettles, and the color
black.

> Statement demonstrating facile grasp of the obvious.
>
> Mild taunt.

Taunt taken out of context and blown up. Many comments about how rude the
current poster is going to keep above the fray.

John Johnson

Mar 16, 2001, 6:25:04 PM3/16/01

"The Jimster" <jim...@swcp.com> wrote in message

> Kate Nepveu wrote:
> >The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:

> >> Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe
server.

> >Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
> >brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
> >talking past each other.
>
> Expletive-laced diatribe invoking First Amendment right to post whatever
> because it's a free country. Vehement refusal to read FAQ because by
> Jordan's own words FAQ is only 1/3 correct.

Loud and public *plonks* by various members of the group; explanation by
others of how we already know that the FAQ isn't gospel, but that it's a
good idea to read it anyway; interjection by Maggie telling both sides to
calm down before tearing each other's throats out.

John S. Novak, III

Mar 16, 2001, 6:25:35 PM3/16/01
On Fri, 16 Mar 2001 17:31:20 GMT, Jay Wiggins <jaywi...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Question about being the only one who thinks this? Expression of
>anger!
>Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion
>and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!
>Manipulative plea for rabble to be roused.

Response in the negative about being the only person who thinks about
this. Demonstration that others have thought about this in far
greater detail. Implication that original poster is dim. Implication
that original poster is dim. Outright accusation of original poster's
daftness and dimness.

Citation.
Citation.
Citation.

>List of evidence:

>1) Emotional judgement call.

Disparagement of cheap emotional tactics.
Bloodless dissection of emotional judgement call.
More disparagement of cheap emotional tactics.

>2) Imaginary pattern perceived in the chaos.

Quick, snide comment about the difference between correlation and
causality. Better explanation left as exercise for the teeming
hordes.

>3) Completely fallacious conclusion.

Acidic rebuttal.

>Expression of sickness and tiredness. Declaration that any reader who
>debates this subject is an enemy.

Questions raised: If original poster is so sick, and desires no
debate, why bother to post?

>Sarcastic, mocking term invented for the enemy. Suggestion that there
>are no exceptions to the rule, all enemies are "this term". Further
>suggestion that this subject is debatable only because the enemies are
>in the majority, and the majority does not understand the Real Truth.

Complete snippage of tawdry bait.

Signature:
Bait

John S. Novak, III

Mar 16, 2001, 6:27:47 PM3/16/01
On 16 Mar 2001 23:25:35 GMT, John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote:

>>Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion
>>and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!
>>Manipulative plea for rabble to be roused.

>Response in the negative about being the only person who thinks about
>this. Demonstration that others have thought about this in far
>greater detail. Implication that original poster is dim. Implication
>that original poster is dim. Outright accusation of original poster's
>daftness and dimness.

Realization of much more devastating way to phrase the above.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net
The Humblest Man on the Net

John Johnson

Mar 16, 2001, 6:36:11 PM3/16/01

"Trent Goulding" <goul...@2001.law.ucla.edu> wrote in message

> kh...@pantheon.yale.edu (Kate Nepveu) wrote:
> >The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:

> >> Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe
server.

> >Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
> >brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
> >talking past each other.
>
> Expressions of amusement that minor contretemps always manage to get
> participants so exercised; agreement that indeed nothing will be
> settled because no one is listening to anyone else.
>
> Nascent and inevitable divergence from putative thread topic
> signalled by deftly taking previous poster's sentence completely out
> of context and using it as foundation for New Topic.

Invariable rant about changing title of thread to match current topic;
explanation that such is not necessary or expected in this group.

> Implicit invitation for reasonable people to abandon increasingly
> boring flammage du jour and join discussion of New Topic in
> interesting and witty ways.

Comments about Trent's verbal skills; post by Mark having nothing to do with
current topic, but that is still funny, followed by various statements
involving food/beverage, keyboards, and co-workers/computer lab.

Ken Gerrard

Mar 16, 2001, 7:09:52 PM3/16/01
kh...@pantheon.yale.edu (Kate Nepveu) writes:

>The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:
>> Michael Hoye wrote:

>> >Traditional last paragraph about a door hitting the author's ass on the
>> >way out.

>> Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe server.

>Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
>brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
>talking past each other.

Insinuation that poster suggesting reasonability is 'nice.'

--
Ken Gerrard
umge...@cc.umanitoba.ca

Bryan Ecker

Mar 16, 2001, 11:35:27 PM3/16/01
Kenneth G. Cavness <kcav...@proxicom.com> wrote in
<MPG.151c4d8be...@News.CIS.DFN.DE>:

>Foolishly giving up the right to remain silent,
>Kate Nepveu <kh...@pantheon.yale.edu>wrote:
>> The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:

>> > Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe
>> > server.
>>
>> Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
>> brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
>> talking past each other.
>
>Traditional debate about being Mean to Newbies; banal claims that the
>group is not a clique and does not have a Hive Mind; expected claim
>of hoards of email supporters.

Unwelcome troll sticks nose in where it doesn't belong and calls everyone
in here a bunch of baby-killing Nazis.

Godwin Invoked. Thread Terminated.

--
Bryan Ecker | I would burn for you.
ec...@us.hsanet.net | Feel pain for you.

Ray Chason

Mar 16, 2001, 11:36:04 PM3/16/01
"John Johnson" <jo...@idf.centerpartners.com> wrote:

>Taunt taken out of context and blown up. Many comments about how rude the
>current poster is going to keep above the fray.

Comparison of so-and-so to N*z*s. Inevitable mention of G*dw*n's L*w.
Claim that the thread is dead. Meanwhile, the thread continues.

--
--------------===============<[ Ray Chason ]>===============--------------
PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc

Oleg Ozerov

Mar 16, 2001, 11:46:24 PM3/16/01

"Trent Goulding" <goul...@2001.law.ucla.edu> wrote in message

Loud outrage about having off-topic discussion in a non-TAN thread.

--
O.

Oleg Ozerov

Mar 16, 2001, 11:49:49 PM3/16/01

> Kate Nepveu wrote:
> >The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:

> >> Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe
server.

> >Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
> >brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
> >talking past each other.
>
> Expletive-laced diatribe invoking First Amendment right to post whatever
> because it's a free country. Vehement refusal to read FAQ because by
> Jordan's own words FAQ is only 1/3 correct.

Intervention from concentric.net. Public flogging bordering on annihilation.

--
O.

Brian Trosko

Mar 17, 2001, 12:13:45 AM3/17/01
John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote:
> On 16 Mar 2001 23:25:35 GMT, John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote:

>>>Anecdote that proves the exception is the rule. Chilling conclusion
>>>and setup for conspiracy theory and/or proof the sky is falling!
>>>Manipulative plea for rabble to be roused.

>>Response in the negative about being the only person who thinks about
>>this. Demonstration that others have thought about this in far
>>greater detail. Implication that original poster is dim. Implication
>>that original poster is dim. Outright accusation of original poster's
>>daftness and dimness.

> Realization of much more devastating way to phrase the above.

I hate you, Milkman Dan.

Scott Hall

Mar 17, 2001, 12:30:49 AM3/17/01

Question with varying degrees of sarcasm about why, if reader is so
concerned about the off-topic thread, didn't he add the damn TAN tag
himself.

--
-Scott

Oleg Ozerov

Mar 17, 2001, 1:12:38 AM3/17/01

"Scott Hall" <srh...@calpoly.edu> wrote in message

> Oleg Ozerov wrote:
> > "Trent Goulding" <goul...@2001.law.ucla.edu> wrote in message

> > > Nascent and inevitable divergence from putative thread topic

> > > signalled by deftly taking previous poster's sentence completely out
> > > of context and using it as foundation for New Topic.
> > >
> > > Implicit invitation for reasonable people to abandon increasingly
> > > boring flammage du jour and join discussion of New Topic in
> > > interesting and witty ways.
> >
> > Loud outrage about having off-topic discussion in a non-TAN thread.
> >

> Question with varying degrees of sarcasm about why, if reader is so
> concerned about the off-topic thread, didn't he add the damn TAN tag
> himself.

Newbie rant about why there's non-WOT discussion on a Jordan group in the
first place. Calls the ng a "mesage board".

--
O.

Blaise D West

Mar 17, 2001, 1:43:59 AM3/17/01

"Oleg Ozerov" <Ozzypti...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
Which makes this the place for "What's TAN mean"
Blaise D West

Oleg Ozerov

Mar 17, 2001, 2:41:42 AM3/17/01

"Blaise D West" <BW...@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> "Oleg Ozerov" <Ozzypti...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message
> > Loud outrage about having off-topic discussion in a non-TAN thread.

> Which makes this the place for "What's TAN mean"

Referral to the rasfrj FAQ from a few people. Some posts actually contain
the URL reference, others say, 'I'm sure somebody else will give you a
pointer'. One post stating that putting "rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan"
in any standard search engine will return the rasfwrj FAQ and the WOTFAQ
along with other stuff. Some posts contain specific instructions to snip
signatures when replying.

--
O.

Richard VanHouten

Mar 17, 2001, 9:52:05 AM3/17/01
"John S. Novak, III" wrote:

> Realization of much more devastating way to phrase the above.

Take one line totally out of context and make humorous remark.

Kate Nepveu

Mar 17, 2001, 11:38:43 AM3/17/01

Invitation for insinuator to bite poster suggesting reasonability.

ObSheesh.

Random innuendo tossed in to preserve poster's reputation.

Frank van Schie

Mar 17, 2001, 12:43:30 PM3/17/01

Reply, without attribution or quote, "i AGREE!!!!1"

Pat O'Connell

Mar 17, 2001, 4:44:57 PM3/17/01
Kate Nepveu wrote:

> Ken Gerrard (umge...@cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:
> > kh...@pantheon.yale.edu (Kate Nepveu) writes:

> > >Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
> > >brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
> > >talking past each other.
>
> > Insinuation that poster suggesting reasonability is 'nice.'
>
> Invitation for insinuator to bite poster suggesting reasonability.
>
> ObSheesh.

Sheesh.

> Random innuendo tossed in to preserve poster's reputation.

OBWyrick reference, completely out of context (Wyrick hasn't posted in
years).

--
Pat O'Connell
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,

Alistair J. R. Young

Mar 17, 2001, 1:08:16 PM3/17/01
On Sat, 17 Mar 2001 04:36:04 -0000, in message <tb5qdkd...@corp.supernews.com>,
Ray Chason <johnn...@southland.smart.net.SPAMMEN.VERBOTEN> praised Shub-Internet thus:

> "John Johnson" <jo...@idf.centerpartners.com> wrote:
>> Taunt taken out of context and blown up. Many comments about how rude the
>> current poster is going to keep above the fray.

> Comparison of so-and-so to N*z*s. Inevitable mention of G*dw*n's L*w.
> Claim that the thread is dead. Meanwhile, the thread continues.

Ranting. Threats of retromoderation.

Deployment of gigadeathcrimefile.

Ray Chason

Mar 17, 2001, 5:13:45 PM3/17/01
Scott Hall <srh...@calpoly.edu> wrote:

>Question with varying degrees of sarcasm about why, if reader is so
>concerned about the off-topic thread, didn't he add the damn TAN tag
>himself.

The TAN tag, of course, was lost because some idjit replied with
Microsoft Lookout.

Oleg Ozerov

Mar 17, 2001, 8:23:06 PM3/17/01

"Ray Chason" <johnn...@southland.smart.net.SPAMMEN.VERBOTEN> wrote in
message news:tb7ocp8...@corp.supernews.com...

> Scott Hall <srh...@calpoly.edu> wrote:
>
> >Question with varying degrees of sarcasm about why, if reader is so
> >concerned about the off-topic thread, didn't he add the damn TAN tag
> >himself.
>
> The TAN tag, of course, was lost because some idjit replied with
> Microsoft Lookout.

A polite question about how to fix that in a given newsreader. A question of
how to get a good free newsreader.

Random self-mutilation in the genre of 'I don't really care enough to go
through trouble of getting a good newsreader, but I'd really like a free one
anyways'

--
O.

Maggie

Mar 18, 2001, 12:38:02 AM3/18/01
Oleg Ozerov <Ozzypti...@worldnet.att.net> quietly murmured:

Indignant response that poster has been "on the Net" since X year and
has never ever been admonished to snip sigs or anything else. Further
indignation regarding being told to use a search engine.

Cantankerous sniping about being asked to follow group standards, along
with declarations of no one being able to force poster to format posts
or snip anything if they don't want to.

Longwinded complaint about "this board" being too picky.

--
Maggie UIN 10248195 http://www.chocolatefiends.com
"Shadow found himself thinking about a garage in San Clemente with box

Oleg Ozerov

Mar 18, 2001, 2:12:44 AM3/18/01

"Maggie" <princ...@accesstoledo.com> wrote in message

> Oleg Ozerov <Ozzypti...@worldnet.att.net> quietly murmured:
> >
> > "Blaise D West" <BW...@si.rr.com> wrote in message

> > > Which makes this the place for "What's TAN mean"
> >
> > Referral to the rasfrj FAQ from a few people. Some posts actually
contain
> > the URL reference, others say, 'I'm sure somebody else will give you a
> > pointer'. One post stating that putting
"rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan"
> > in any standard search engine will return the rasfwrj FAQ and the WOTFAQ
> > along with other stuff. Some posts contain specific instructions to snip
> > signatures when replying.
>
> Indignant response that poster has been "on the Net" since X year and
> has never ever been admonished to snip sigs or anything else. Further
> indignation regarding being told to use a search engine.

Referral of the poster to his or her parents, with the purpose of obtaining
permission for Usenet discussions prior to posting.

Multiple reiteration of that "Usenet is not Internet".

> Cantankerous sniping about being asked to follow group standards, along
> with declarations of no one being able to force poster to format posts
> or snip anything if they don't want to.

Cliche explanation about the compliance to accepted standards being
instrumental to pursuing the audience to pay attention to the poster's
contributions.

> Longwinded complaint about "this board" being too picky.

A threat of possible physical intervention in case of repeated
misclassification of the type of this forum.

ObSomeMildlyIrrelevantEvent: A reference to something that happened 10 years
ago.

(Not an entirely serious suggestion: Maybe this thread should be in the
faq?)

--
O.

Richard VanHouten

Mar 18, 2001, 11:17:19 PM3/18/01
Frank van Schie wrote:

> Reply, without attribution or quote, "i AGREE!!!!1"

Reply quoting extremely long post to add Me Too! If posted by regular,
it is preceded by ObAOL:; if posted by newbie, it is followed by
numerous replies giving FAQ pointers.

Ken Schmidt

Mar 19, 2001, 9:59:12 AM3/19/01
Kenneth G. Cavness wrote:
>Foolishly giving up the right to remain silent,
>Kate Nepveu <kh...@pantheon.yale.edu>wrote:

>> The Jimster (jim...@swcp.com) wrote:

>> > Hit and run one-liner without editing; blank lines added to dupe server.
>>
>> Explanation of readability guidelines for Usenet; pointer to the FAQ;
>> brief comment on substance of discussion, suggesting that people are
>> talking past each other.
>
>Traditional debate about being Mean to Newbies; banal claims that the
>group is not a clique and does not have a Hive Mind; expected claim
>of hoards of email supporters.

Barely contained excitement by lurker/infrequent poster as this thread
will be 'the one' to get push to well-known and respected status.

Begin thought out post, lacing logic and wit with never-before-seen style of
debate sure to impress all but the mouth breathing AOL and WebTV types
(noting that not all from those domains are, of course) that lack the
refinement necessary to get it.

Get distracted by shiny object at home or work. Return some time later
and re-read post. Frown over wording as it suddenly seems less witty and
filled with holes in reasoning. Attempt to rework into something that fits
initial vision of post. Get frustrated and try to kill article, return to
lurking status.

Nagging worries that killing article instead sent it, but confident in
posting ability. Confirm desire to prove self to posters in group, just in
another thread.

---Add name here

Janet Quick

Mar 19, 2001, 1:43:37 PM3/19/01
Request (without attribution or quote) to include attribution or quote.

Leigh Butler

Mar 20, 2001, 3:28:47 AM3/20/01
Pat O'Connell wrote:

> Kate Nepveu wrote:
> >
> > Ken Gerrard (umge...@cc.umanitoba.ca) wrote:

> > > Insinuation that poster suggesting reasonability is 'nice.'
> >
> > Invitation for insinuator to bite poster suggesting reasonability.
> >
> > ObSheesh.
>
> Sheesh.
>
> > Random innuendo tossed in to preserve poster's reputation.
>
> OBWyrick reference, completely out of context (Wyrick hasn't posted in
> years).

Random ex-regular chooses this moment to suddenly pop up after long
absence and wave merrily, prompting flurries of "Who are you again?"

--
Leigh Butler lei...@pacbell.net
Who really will start posting again as soon as Pacific Bell is forced to

Steven M. Ginter

Mar 20, 2001, 7:20:39 AM3/20/01
On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 00:28:47 -0800, lei...@pacbell.net (Leigh Butler)
spake thus:

>Random ex-regular chooses this moment to suddenly pop up after long
>absence and wave merrily, prompting flurries of "Who are you again?"

*pounce*
<roll><roll><ro---

Oh. Wait. Wrong poster. Never mind. Carry on.

--
Steve G.

Or, if you prefer:
Semi-regular merrily welcomes back random ex-regular, realizes a case
of mistaken identity, and promptly stands up and walks briskly away,
whistling innocently.

"...I thought she was Lara Beaton..."

Pat O'Connell

Mar 20, 2001, 11:39:34 PM3/20/01
Leigh Butler wrote:

> Pat O'Connell wrote:
> >
> > Kate Nepveu wrote:

> > > Invitation for insinuator to bite poster suggesting reasonability.
> > >
> > > ObSheesh.
> >
> > Sheesh.
> >
> > > Random innuendo tossed in to preserve poster's reputation.
> >
> > OBWyrick reference, completely out of context (Wyrick hasn't posted in
> > years).
>
> Random ex-regular chooses this moment to suddenly pop up after long
> absence and wave merrily, prompting flurries of "Who are you again?"

So--who are you again???

[random ex-regular gets really indignant about not being recognized
after n or n+1 years]

--
Pat O'Connell
And, why don't you have a real ISP that uses a standard TCP/IP

bruntilda

Mar 22, 2001, 11:28:13 PM3/22/01
[snip excruciatingly generalized argument]

PLEASE! stop this before I [statement about the previous poster's body
parts being placed into a humerously awkward and exceedingly painful
situation]

Now look. You've started me doing it.

Leigh Butler

Mar 29, 2001, 6:23:52 PM3/29/01
Now posting from work thanks to the lovely and talented Mags...now
we'll see if it all works kee-rectly.

<hugs to The Moo!>

On Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:39:34 -0700, Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com>
wrote:

>Leigh Butler wrote:

>> Random ex-regular chooses this moment to suddenly pop up after long
>> absence and wave merrily, prompting flurries of "Who are you again?"
>
>So--who are you again???
>
>[random ex-regular gets really indignant about not being recognized
>after n or n+1 years]

Random ex-regular expresses sentiment that considering how long she's
been gone, not so much.

<re: my ISP refuses to let me use Gravity>

>And, why don't you have a real ISP that uses a standard TCP/IP
>interface, so you can use whatever newsreader you want?

I do. Pacbell is, at least, as real as most... It's a total mystery
at the moment why Gravity refuses to download groups or indeed do
anything but give me authentication error messages. Pacbell tech
support has, of course, zero clue, and thus far my queries to the
Gravity tech support people have gone unanswered.

(It's not the Pacbell server, though, I'm pretty sure, since I can
download groups and posts with no problem in Netscape's newsreader.
Too bad I hatehatehate Netscape's newsreader...)

Whatever. In any case, I guess here is as good a place as any to
mention that Concentric shall be spamming me no longer, and that
therefore my concentric email address is, obviously, defunct.

Those of you who have been waiting with bated breath to email me can
do so at my new address - lei...@pacbell.net.

Or, of course, at my Paramount addy, shown here life-size and tooled
in genuine imitation leather, in the headers. Yours for only
$39,999.95!

Let's see if Free Agent does .sigs right!

John Rowat

Mar 29, 2001, 11:35:48 PM3/29/01
As roses wither, so does Leigh Butler:

> It's a total mystery
> at the moment why Gravity refuses to download groups or indeed do
> anything but give me authentication error messages.

Not a total mystery. It probably has to do with your username or password
in some way.

> Pacbell tech
> support has, of course, zero clue, and thus far my queries to the
> Gravity tech support people have gone unanswered.

> (It's not the Pacbell server, though, I'm pretty sure, since I can
> download groups and posts with no problem in Netscape's newsreader.
> Too bad I hatehatehate Netscape's newsreader...)

I believe their response runs much along the lines of "If the supported
client works and the unsupported one doesn't, the problem lies in the
unsupported client, which is, well, not to put too fine a point on it,
UNSUPPORTED."

-John
--
[The right to own a gun is...] The right to free expression. I can
articulate my disagreement with you by shooting you -- thus, a gun is

Leigh Butler

Mar 30, 2001, 2:02:25 AM3/30/01
John Rowat wrote:

> As roses wither, so does Leigh Butler:
>
> > It's a total mystery
> > at the moment why Gravity refuses to download groups or indeed do
> > anything but give me authentication error messages.
>
> Not a total mystery. It probably has to do with your username or password
> in some way.

Yeah, but in what way is the question, since it's exactly the same as
it's always been - just on a different computer. Ugh.

> > Pacbell tech
> > support has, of course, zero clue, and thus far my queries to the
> > Gravity tech support people have gone unanswered.
>
> > (It's not the Pacbell server, though, I'm pretty sure, since I can
> > download groups and posts with no problem in Netscape's newsreader.
> > Too bad I hatehatehate Netscape's newsreader...)
>
> I believe their response runs much along the lines of "If the supported
> client works and the unsupported one doesn't, the problem lies in the
> unsupported client, which is, well, not to put too fine a point on it,
> UNSUPPORTED."

Of course. *sigh* Well, the upside is that life as we know it will
probably continue, since if switching to a new computer _didn't_ involve
at least one major SNAFU I'd suspect the approach of the Apocalypse...