Chicago signing report

Roxanne

Oct 23, 1994, 7:16:46 AM10/23/94
The signing at The Stars Our Destination was an overwhelming success by
any measure you want to use.

We had about a hundred people show up (this was hard to determine, really
since many people went through the line multiple times in order to get all
of their books/maps/paraphernalia signed). We sold about 75 copies of LoC
during the day. Everyone who wanted a book signed was able to get it
signed.

We found a couple of the maps in our basement, and the representative
from Tor had about 15 that had been rattling around in her trunk, which
we gave out as door prizes. We used 10-sided dice as random number
generators, and your line number as your lottery ticket. It was a lot
of fun and broke the tension of standing in line, not to mention
equitably distributing the maps, of which there obviously were not
enough to go around.

I was busy (obviously!), but did overhear a couple of things:

At one point, RJ raised his voice to scold his wife, "No! No hints! They
can figure it out!" She was grinning, apparently not chagrined at all.
But she did stop saying any more at that point. This leads me to believe
that Mr. Jordan enjoys *immensely* weaving the puzzle, as much as writing
the book.

He repeatedly reassured us that we have all the clues we need to figure
out who killed Asmodean.

Now for the major announcement (and they specifically said we could blab):

Jody Lynn Nye, Todd Cameron Hamilton, et. al., are hard at work on a
compendium, "Guide to the Wheel of Time." They have already produced the
well-regarded books, "Guide to Pern" and "Guide to Xanth." Todd was at
the signing but left early; Jody's husband (Bill Fawcett) arrived quite
late and stayed after (which is where we learned this little tidbit).

_The Guide to the Wheel of Time_ is scheduled to be released with the
paperback of _Lord of Chaos_ sometime next fall. We will of course have it!

Robert Jordan does not plan to do a signing tour next fall. He has been
invited to be GOH at the Swedish National Convention next year, and will
accept as soon as he gets home and can write a letter (i.e. in a couple
of weeks).

He is a *big* person, probably about 6'4" and broad. He smokes a *huge*
pipe and carries a cane (I did not see him walk enough to be able to tell
if he uses it or not, as the limo was able to pull up just outside the
store). He looks pretty much like his pictures, but he's bigger. I
suspect he would empathize a lot with the Ogier, with finding everything
everywhere not quite big enough. We gave him a store sweatshirt, size XXL,
which he greatly appreciated..

- Roxanne e

Alice Bentley

Oct 23, 1994, 9:10:09 AM10/23/94
In article <38em38$t...@mozo.cc.purdue.edu>, may...@gn.ecn.purdue.edu
(Scot T. May) wrote:

> Does that particular Tor representative go to every signing,
> or is he local? He must have been from out of town, I think,
> as he wasn't in black leather.

The Tor rep was Anne Hellman, the good looking young woman in the pant
suit and vest. The tall man who was also hanging around was the limo
driver.
Anne's the person to thank for recommending our store for the signing
(THANKS ANNE!) and was also the one who provided the extra WoT posters!
--
Alice Bentley -|- The Stars Our Destination Bookstore

Pam Korda

Oct 23, 1994, 5:04:24 PM10/23/94
In article <38dgmu$6...@Mars.mcs.com> rox...@MCS.COM (Roxanne) writes:
>We found a couple of the maps in our basement, and the representative
>from Tor had about 15 that had been rattling around in her trunk, which
>we gave out as door prizes. We used 10-sided dice as random number

Thank you for the map.

>He repeatedly reassured us that we have all the clues we need to figure
>out who killed Asmodean.

Interesting. Do we believe him? The evidence seems very sparse to me.

A few more tidbits:

David Wren Hardin asked 1) did the ajahs exist in the AOL? Answer: No,
they were created a few hundred years in the aftermath of the
Breaking. 2) Was Tam involved in the Whitecloak/Illian war mentioned
by Pedronn Niall in LOC? Answer: That isn't something I'd given much
consideration to (i.e. it is background, not significant). He probably
was, since he was in the Illian army then. (i.e. Tam is NOT jain
farstrider).

John Novak asked what the Nine Horse Hitch was. Answer: You're too
young for that. He then said something about whipped cream,
butterflies, and ribbons, but I'm _definitely_ too young for that.

David's wife took a picture of David, John, me, and RJ. I suppose
he'll upload it sometime.

John, Scot May, me, and my minions went for pizza afterwards.

Mrs. Robert Jordan liked my T-shirt.

Pam "not dead yet" Korda | To get the WOTFAQ between
ko...@kimbark.uchicago.edu | postings, E-mail me, or ftp
ko...@rainbow.uchicago.edu | it from faser.cs.olemiss.edu.

Scot T. May

Oct 23, 1994, 5:54:48 PM10/23/94
In article ko...@midway.uchicago.edu writes:
>John Novak asked what the Nine Horse Hitch was. Answer: You're too
>young for that. He then said something about whipped cream,
>butterflies, and ribbons, but I'm _definitely_ too young for that.
>
>David's wife took a picture of David, John, me, and RJ. I suppose
>he'll upload it sometime.
>
>John, Scot May, me, and my minions went for pizza afterwards.
>
>Mrs. Robert Jordan liked my T-shirt.

I didn't get a chance to see Pam's T-shirt. :( I did
see John's marching circuits shirt.

And, Pam did kinda blend in, dressed in black, although
there was more black leather than anything else in that
neighborhood. I felt out of place in my Snoopy t-shirt
and IBM haircut.

Parking wasn't too bad. I parked a couple of blocks west
of the book shop and it wasn't even metered. I suppose it
must be worse on weekdays.

It was good pizza at Giordano's ( sp? jordano's? ). Much better
than the around here at Purdue.

Interesting enough, Jordan had 3 bottles of Perrier and
some cheese to munch on for the time he was there. And
Jordan was pretty nice, though he had an intense stare. I
was surprised that he wasn't cranky after all these trips.
I've only gone to one other book signing, and the author
there was cranky. He didn't have any cheese, tho.

I only got a chance to ask one question. Jordan was in
Vietnam from '68-'70, apparently.

Does that particular Tor representative go to every signing,
or is he local? He must have been from out of town, I think,
as he wasn't in black leather.

Later,

Scot

Tom

Oct 23, 1994, 5:54:43 PM10/23/94
Pam Korda (ko...@kimbark.uchicago.edu) wrote:
: David Wren Hardin asked 1) did the ajahs exist in the AOL? Answer: No,

: they were created a few hundred years in the aftermath of the
: Breaking.

This probably means that there are no more than 7 ajahs. Some Amrylian
Seat must of thought it best if they specialize.

- Tom Burke

Pam Korda

Oct 23, 1994, 7:46:08 PM10/23/94
In article <38er1d$4...@ashe.cs.unc.edu> gar...@cs.unc.edu (Bill Garrett) writes:
>What was on it? Was it like one of my "Yes, I _am_ a Joel Furr lackey!"
>tshirts? :)

No. It is a promotional T-shirt for a computer game my flatmate is
helping to write. It has a neat little design on the front, which is
what Mrs. Robert Jordan (Harriet, I guess) commented on.

Pam Korda
ko...@kimbark.uchicago.edu

Robyn Goldstein

Oct 24, 1994, 8:12:09 AM10/24/94
In article <38fh5q$7...@cegt201.bradley.edu>,
John Novak <j...@cegt201.bradley.edu> wrote:
>In <38er1d$4...@ashe.cs.unc.edu> gar...@cs.unc.edu (Bill Garrett) writes:

>>: John Novak asked what the Nine Horse Hitch was. Answer: You're too

>>: young for that. He then said something about whipped cream,
>>: butterflies, and ribbons, but I'm _definitely_ too young for that.

>>Kudos for asking, John.

>His answer confirmed my initial suspicion-- its a complete
>nothing. Its three mice and a basket of figs, done to us. It
>doesn't _mean_ a frigging thing, except to those with twisted and
>demented imaginations.

I'm pretty sure (though not 100%) that I've heard this before b/c I
remember trying to puzzle it out before. However, I can't remember where
else I heard it.

Hawk

* Reality is the only obstacle to happiness. *

John Novak

Oct 24, 1994, 3:06:44 PM10/24/94
In <38g8ap$b...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> ha...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Robyn Goldstein) writes:

>I'm pretty sure (though not 100%) that I've heard this before b/c I
>remember trying to puzzle it out before. However, I can't remember where
>else I heard it.

What, three figs and a basket of mice?
That's how Juilin broke a strong man-- the threat of three figs
and a basket of mice. Juilin didn't mean anything by it, but the
guy's imagination kept dreaming things worse and worse that he
actually broke.
--
John S. Novak, III Minions wanted
j...@cegt201.bradley.edu See .plan for details

Bill Garrett

Oct 24, 1994, 7:05:49 PM10/24/94
ot...@quads.uchicago.edu (jen ottesen) writes:
: j...@cegt201.bradley.edu (John Novak) writes:
: >gar...@cs.unc.edu (Bill Garrett) writes:
: >[From the Chicago signing:]
: >>: John Novak asked what the Nine Horse Hitch was. Answer: You're too

: >>: young for that. He then said something about whipped cream,
: >>: butterflies, and ribbons, but I'm _definitely_ too young for that.
: >
: >His answer confirmed my initial suspicion-- its a complete

: >nothing. Its three mice and a basket of figs, done to us. It
: >doesn't _mean_ a frigging thing, except to those with twisted and
: >demented imaginations.

That's what I meant when I said that he's just making the stuff up.

: On the other hand, his wife did then ask you if you'd ever seen a
: hitch with an odd number of horses...
: (I agree though, about the figs and mice)

I don't think it'd be too practical, but I imagine one could be constructed
and it would something like this:

_|_
_|_
_|_
_|_

The only times I've seen a hitch like that have been in books and movies
that feature a certain diminutive, nasally bioluminescent reindeer at the
front...

--
Bill Garrett "What sane person could live in this world
gar...@cs.unc.edu and not be crazy?" -- Ursula K. LeGuin

John Novak

Oct 24, 1994, 10:47:43 PM10/24/94

>On the other hand, his wife did then ask you if you'd ever seen a
>hitch with an odd number of horses...
>(I agree though, about the figs and mice)

To which my response (if the peeves had not been held in
abeyance) is, "I'm a city boy. Do the one-horse coaches down
town count, or is that not a 'hitch' as we define it?"

Benjamin J. Vincent

Oct 24, 1994, 7:29:41 PM10/24/94
Bill Garrett (gar...@cs.unc.edu) wrote:
: I don't think it'd be too practical, but I imagine one could be constructed

: and it would something like this:
:
: U
: _|_
: _|_
: _|_
: _|_
: |
:
: The only times I've seen a hitch like that have been in books and movies
: that feature a certain diminutive, nasally bioluminescent reindeer at the
: front...
:

Aren't sled dogs hooked up like that?

Of course, dogs aren't horses...

ben

Owen Salava

Oct 24, 1994, 11:59:05 PM10/24/94

In a previous article, j...@cegt201.bradley.edu (John Novak) says:

>What, three figs and a basket of mice?
>That's how Juilin broke a strong man-- the threat of three figs
>and a basket of mice. Juilin didn't mean anything by it, but the
>guy's imagination kept dreaming things worse and worse that he
>actually broke.

It was figs and salt. And it was the Yellow's eyes and ears agent, a
female, who was broken just inside the border of Amadacia in FoH (page
unknown). I just read this yesturday on my re-reading before getting my
copy of LoC.

"Not the salt! Anything but the salt!" <--- paraphrased not exact

Owen
--
|Owen Salava \\ ad...@freenet.unbc.edu // Prince George, B.C.|
|If the good lord had wanted man to stay on the ground, he would have |

Robyn Goldstein

Oct 24, 1994, 7:44:54 PM10/24/94
In article <38h0k4$g...@cegt201.bradley.edu>,

John Novak <j...@cegt201.bradley.edu> wrote:
>ha...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Robyn Goldstein) writes:

>>I'm pretty sure (though not 100%) that I've heard this before b/c I
>>remember trying to puzzle it out before. However, I can't remember where
>>else I heard it.

>What, three figs and a basket of mice?

>That's how Juilin broke a strong man-- the threat of three figs
>and a basket of mice. Juilin didn't mean anything by it, but the
>guy's imagination kept dreaming things worse and worse that he
>actually broke.

*sniff* Three figs and a basket of mice don't frighten me. Make it
goldfish, however, and I run away screaming. But that's a story for
another time.

John, Lini, Cenn Buie, Bayle Domon, whoever you are, I am _not_ imagining
things. I have heard this before. I'm not sure where, but I have. If
the Faire wasn't over for the year, I'd talk with some of my friends
there b/c I'm _sure_ that somebody at Faire would have heard about this,
if it's true and not just a figment of Jordan's imagination. And I don't
think it's a figment of Jordan's imagination. Maybe if I can cut class
and get to a signing I'll try asking him about this myself...

>John S. Novak, III Minions wanted
>j...@cegt201.bradley.edu See .plan for details

Need to offer more incentives, John. I've read your .plan, and frankly
I'm not impressed. If you make a more worthwhile offer, perhaps, but not
with the current offer.

Michael Major

Oct 25, 1994, 2:18:03 AM10/25/94
In article <38hekd$t...@ashe.cs.unc.edu>,

Bill Garrett <gar...@cs.unc.edu> wrote:

>I don't think it'd be too practical, but I imagine one could be constructed
>and it would something like this:

> _|_
> _|_
> _|_
> _|_
> |

>The only times I've seen a hitch like that have been in books and movies
>that feature a certain diminutive, nasally bioluminescent reindeer at the
>front...

Frankly, I don't believe that the ninth horse offers any advantage
over an eight horse pull. I've never seen anything for N horses
where N is odd and >2. (Where I grew up, the predominant hitch
is the single Deere hitch.)

The ninth horse isn't going to add
significantly to the power provided by the other eight horses.
The only other use would be for steering, but the rigid hitch
makes this also impractical (the lead horse would have to force
the other horses to turn. At 8 against 1, it doesn't stand
much chance at that.) Furthermore, for the cost of building
a nine horse hitch, you might as well make it a ten horse and
buy an extra horse. Jordan pulled this thing from thin air.

(BTW, Rudolf can be seen every night except Christmas at Joe's Bar,
"maintaining his distinctive feature".)

Has anybody asked Jordan if Rand (/Mat/Perrin) are attached to
the horn? I wouldn't think it would be a spoiler since the
answering event isn't likely to occur in the series.

Major

p.s. Has anybody caught the inconsistency between the LOC
glossary entry on linking and a certain discussion in TFOH?

Robyn Goldstein

Oct 25, 1994, 8:00:03 AM10/25/94
In article <38hqlc$a...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
Joe "Uno" Shaw <joe...@csgrad.cs.vt.edu> wrote:
>> John Novak <j...@cegt201.bradley.edu> wrote:

>> >John S. Novak, III Minions wanted
>> >j...@cegt201.bradley.edu See .plan for details

>You're in no position to try to bargain, Hawk.
>You don't even meet the minimum qualifications, yet.

True. I'd forgotten about that part until I reread the .plan last
night. <shrug> Figured I should since I was commenting on it.

>Now, if John had been willing to pay my price, I might have sold
>him 'Padan Gaidin' and transfered Fain's bond to him. Bill would
>have made a fine minion, I'm sure.

He does. *wide grin*

Robyn Goldstein

Oct 25, 1994, 8:02:01 AM10/25/94
In article <38hs5u$j...@cegt201.bradley.edu>,

>Do you meet the requirements, my pretty?

No. I'd fogotten about the one requirement. Doesn't change anything
though. Still not enough incentive.

>I thought you were a sophomore.

*sniff* Junior.

>I _do_ have a position as the little person who hides in the
>fridge and turns the light on and off when I open and close the
>door, though...

Sounds interesting. We'll talk.

Scot T. May

Oct 25, 1994, 9:02:53 AM10/25/94
In article j...@cegt201.bradley.edu (John Novak) writes:
>ot...@quads.uchicago.edu (jen ottesen) writes:
>
>>On the other hand, his wife did then ask you if you'd ever seen a
>>hitch with an odd number of horses...
>>(I agree though, about the figs and mice)
>
>To which my response (if the peeves had not been held in
>abeyance) is, "I'm a city boy. Do the one-horse coaches down
>town count, or is that not a 'hitch' as we define it?"

A hitch with an odd number of horses is called a
unicorn hitch, if I am not mistaken. ( greater than
or equal to 3; 3, 5, 7, etc. ).

Maybe it has something to do with unicorns being sexual
creatures. (The unicorn's horn being a phallic symbol.)

Later,

Scot

Phetsy Calderon

Oct 25, 1994, 3:44:29 PM10/25/94
In article <38i7ur$i...@news.CCIT.Arizona.EDU>
mma...@bigdog.engr.arizona.edu (Michael Major) writes:

> Frankly, I don't believe that the ninth horse offers any advantage
> over an eight horse pull.

> The ninth horse isn't going to add
> significantly to the power provided by the other eight horses.

It adds one horsepower, or the ability to move 1 ton one foot in one
minute, which is a *significant* advantage when you're hauling.
Practically speaking, it works out to another few hundred pounds of
hauling capacity. And yes, big drafters really can shift that much.
Shoot, a 900+lb riding horse can shift a whole bloody horse trailer if
he's good & spooked.

I've never seen anything for N horses
> where N is odd and >2.

In fine driving classes at horseshows, one sometimes sees something
called a "unicorn" hitch, which is two wheelers and one leader, or

_|_

reading top to bottom.

> The only other use would be for steering, but the rigid hitch
> makes this also impractical (the lead horse would have to force
> the other horses to turn.

OK, I'm about to pick nits, but I've had fun learning about archery on
the group lately, so I'll assume this will be fun for other readers.

A. The horses turn *on the teamster's signal,* which is given in
sequence from the leaders back to the wheelers, so that the horses stay
in their collars and maintain the rig's forward momentum. B. Who says
the hitch is rigid? Some large rigs use a center pole, some don't.
Horses have been known to jump traces.

> Jordan pulled this thing from thin air.

If we speak of hauling hitches, well, there've been everything from
Russian troikas (3-horse side by side hitch) to 20-mule teams. Besides,
teamsters tend to hitch up what they've got (like an ox and a horse).

If we speak of what Jordan was inimating with the name of the
inn...children, children, has none of you ever heard the term
"Mongolian clusterf*ck"?

Phetsy
cald...@llnl.gov
Sorry, the cat got my .sig

gree...@news.delphi.com

Oct 25, 1994, 7:53:02 PM10/25/94
I felt that the 9-horse hitch was a reference to the number of
extremeties used in sexual intercourse. Four arms, four legs, one
penis. It is consistant with the names of the other inns.

Gary Greenbaum

Pam Korda

Oct 25, 1994, 10:51:30 PM10/25/94
In article <38hgtm$2...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> ha...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Robyn Goldstein) writes:

>*sniff* Three figs and a basket of mice don't frighten me. Make it
>goldfish, however, and I run away screaming. But that's a story for
>another time.

Last year, somebody gave a real-life answer to "What _can_ you do with
a basket of figs and 3 mice?" It was a really pretty gruesome method
of torture used by the Mongols, if I recall correctly. If you really
want to know, send me mail. But believe me, it is gross.

Erica Sadun

Oct 25, 1994, 11:06:03 PM10/25/94
In article <1994Oct26.0...@midway.uchicago.edu>,

Pam Korda <ko...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:
>Last year, somebody gave a real-life answer to "What _can_ you do with
>a basket of figs and 3 mice?" It was a really pretty gruesome method
>of torture used by the Mongols, if I recall correctly. If you really
>want to know, send me mail. But believe me, it is gross.

My brother-in-law has lots of tales of when he was a resident doing
ER duty about anally-inserted mice, coke-bottles and other misc
items. I'm not really sure where the figs fit in, although they tend
to be really sticky when eaten, especially the fresh ones. (The
fresh ones, though, are pretty hard to find, even in farmers markets)

Erica

--
===========================ERICA SADUN================================
Grep foo whilst ye may, oh daemons of the Spring...

Jared S. Samet

Oct 26, 1994, 2:14:41 AM10/26/94
GREEN...@DELPHI.COM (gree...@news.delphi.com) wrote:
: I felt that the 9-horse hitch was a reference to the number of
: extremeties used in sexual intercourse. Four arms, four legs, one
: penis. It is consistant with the names of the other inns.

: Gary Greenbaum

Come on, enough. If the Women's Circle found out we were discussing
things like this...

I thought "The 9-Horse Hitch" wasn't an obscene reference in itself.
Notice that sometime in tFoH Elayne says "after she had said it out loud
a couple times she realized how filthy it was." I thought it should be
[mis]pronounced The 9-whores Itch.

--Jared "Osan'gar" Samet

Gregory Deych

Oct 26, 1994, 1:07:40 AM10/26/94
Michael Major (mma...@bigdog.engr.arizona.edu) wrote:
: In article <38hekd$t...@ashe.cs.unc.edu>,

: Bill Garrett <gar...@cs.unc.edu> wrote:
: >
: >
: >I don't think it'd be too practical, but I imagine one could be constructed
: >and it would something like this:
: >
: > U
: > _|_
: > _|_
: > _|_
: > _|_
: > |
: >
: >The only times I've seen a hitch like that have been in books and movies
: >that feature a certain diminutive, nasally bioluminescent reindeer at the
: >front...

: Frankly, I don't believe that the ninth horse offers any advantage
: over an eight horse pull. I've never seen anything for N horses
: where N is odd and >2. (Where I grew up, the predominant hitch
: is the single Deere hitch.

The only N is odd and >2 case I know is a Russia troika (which, just as
it sounds, has 3 horses). They are hooked up in ||| pattern, i.e
parallel to each other. I suppose you could set up 3 threes of them
that way, but why? This is definitely a euphimism of some kind... could
somebody give me a page and book reference? I want to look up who said
it (if it is Domani, it could be an orgy-type deal...Menage-a-neuf?).
--
Gregory Deych

*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*
Fast. Good. Cheap. Pick any two - Solomon Short
*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*

gde...@netcom.com

Aaron Bergman

Oct 26, 1994, 4:07:32 PM10/26/94
In article <gdeychCy...@netcom.com>, gde...@netcom.com (Gregory
Deych) wrote:

:Michael Major (mma...@bigdog.engr.arizona.edu) wrote:
:: In article <38hekd$t...@ashe.cs.unc.edu>,
:: Bill Garrett <gar...@cs.unc.edu> wrote:
:: >
:: >
:: >I don't think it'd be too practical, but I imagine one could be constructed
:: >and it would something like this:
:: >
:: > U
:: > _|_
:: > _|_
:: > _|_
:: > _|_
:: > |
:: >
[...]

It's in TFOH, I think. It is mentioned as making Siuan blush.

The best explanation I've heard is "count the limbs."

Aaron

:--

Lews Therin

Oct 27, 1994, 12:28:55 AM10/27/94
Owen Salava (ad...@freenet.unbc.edu) wrote:

: In a previous article, j...@cegt201.bradley.edu (John Novak) says:

: >What, three figs and a basket of mice?
: >That's how Juilin broke a strong man-- the threat of three figs
: >and a basket of mice. Juilin didn't mean anything by it, but the
: >guy's imagination kept dreaming things worse and worse that he
: >actually broke.

: It was figs and salt. And it was the Yellow's eyes and ears agent, a
: female, who was broken just inside the border of Amadacia in FoH (page
: unknown). I just read this yesturday on my re-reading before getting my
: copy of LoC.

Then you didn't read very closely; it's salt and cooking oil that Juilan
uses to break Ronde Macura. He tells Elayne and Nynaeve about an
incident where he broke a strong man with the threat of figs and mice.

John, as usual, was right.

-- Lews

Bill Garrett

Oct 27, 1994, 12:05:50 AM10/27/94
: joe...@info1.cc.vt.edu (Joe "Uno" Shaw) writes:
:
: >Now, if John had been willing to pay my price, I might have sold

: >him 'Padan Gaidin' and transfered Fain's bond to him. Bill would
: >have made a fine minion, I'm sure.
:
: <Shrug>
: Well, first you have to demonstrate that Bill _is_ indeed your
: minion. Then, you can refresh my memory on your price.

In a word: <snort>

--
Bill Garrett I am a firm believer in optimism because
gar...@cs.unc.edu without optimism, what is there?

Jacob C Kesinger

Oct 27, 1994, 4:45:04 PM10/27/94
aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu (Aaron Bergman) writes:

>In article <gdeychCy...@netcom.com>, gde...@netcom.com (Gregory
>Deych) wrote:

>:Michael Major (mma...@bigdog.engr.arizona.edu) wrote:
>:: In article <38hekd$t...@ashe.cs.unc.edu>,

[munch]

>:somebody give me a page and book reference? I want to look up who said
>:it (if it is Domani, it could be an orgy-type deal...Menage-a-neuf?).

>It's in TFOH, I think. It is mentioned as making Siuan blush.

>The best explanation I've heard is "count the limbs."

I did. 9 horses * 4 limbs per = 36. Now what? :-)
Am I too young for this?

--Jake "I knew being a math major was good for something" K.

>Aaron

>:--
>:Gregory Deych
[munch]
--
Jake Kesinger n914...@henson.cc.wwu.edu
Home page: http://www.wwu.edu/~n9146070/ SF, Pratchett, Deverry pages

Chad R Orzel

Oct 27, 1994, 5:36:12 PM10/27/94
In article <n9146070.783290704@beaker>,
Jacob C Kesinger <n914...@beaker.cc.wwu.edu> wrote:
>aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu (Aaron Bergman) writes:

{Nine Horse Hitch}

>>The best explanation I've heard is "count the limbs."
>
>I did. 9 horses * 4 limbs per = 36. Now what? :-)
^^^^^^^^
No, no, no, no.
All horses have an infinite number of legs. You're a _math major_ and
you haven't seen this proof?

What do they teach them in those schools?

Later,
OilCan

Andrea Lynn Leistra

Oct 28, 1994, 1:46:17 AM10/28/94
In article <38hvqq$1...@freenet.unbc.edu>,

Owen Salava <ad...@freenet.unbc.edu> wrote:

>In a previous article, j...@cegt201.bradley.edu (John Novak) says:
>
>>What, three figs and a basket of mice?
>>That's how Juilin broke a strong man-- the threat of three figs
>>and a basket of mice. Juilin didn't mean anything by it, but the
>>guy's imagination kept dreaming things worse and worse that he
>>actually broke.
>
>It was figs and salt. And it was the Yellow's eyes and ears agent, a
>female, who was broken just inside the border of Amadacia in FoH (page
>unknown). I just read this yesturday on my re-reading before getting my
>copy of LoC.
>
>"Not the salt! Anything but the salt!" <--- paraphrased not exact

You're mixing the stories. The Yellow's agent who tried to capture El &
Ny was broken with salt and something I forget at the moment. One of the
women asked Julian what he intended to do and he said "nothing", and told
the story about breaking a strong man with three mice and a basket of
figs.

Aviendha
Visualize Whirled Peas

Jacob C Kesinger

Oct 28, 1994, 3:44:45 PM10/28/94

Well, since I'm a joint Math-CS major I didn't want to bother
with floating-point multiplication. So I cast it as an integer.

Theorem: Everybody from the Two Rivers can Channel.

Basis: Nynaeve can channel.

Induction: Assume n people from the Two Rivers can Channel. Find
another. Therefore, everybody can channel.

--Jake "didn't want to take lim{Horses->9}" K.

--
Jake Kesinger n914...@henson.cc.wwu.edu
"Hey, we didn't claw our way to the top of the food chain to eat daisies."

Owen Salava

Oct 29, 1994, 3:24:30 PM10/29/94

In a previous article, le...@teleport.com (Lews Therin) says:

>incident where he broke a strong man with the threat of figs and mice.
>John, as usual, was right.

Uncle.... :)

Lews Therin

Oct 31, 1994, 1:56:57 AM10/31/94
Owen Salava (ad...@freenet.unbc.edu) wrote:

: In a previous article, le...@teleport.com (Lews Therin) says:

: >incident where he broke a strong man with the threat of figs and mice.
: >John, as usual, was right.

: Uncle.... :)

<evil, crazy grin>

Wise, my son...you saved yourself the ordeal of the six feet of rubber
hose, an orthodontic rubber band, a glass thermometer, and a rubber
mallet. :)

<wince>

Urgh...that makes even ME cringe...

-- LTT

Owen Salava

Oct 31, 1994, 3:24:10 AM10/31/94

In a previous article, le...@teleport.com (Lews Therin) says:

>Owen Salava (ad...@freenet.unbc.edu) wrote:
>: Uncle.... :)
><evil, crazy grin>
>Wise, my son...you saved yourself the ordeal of the six feet of rubber
>hose, an orthodontic rubber band, a glass thermometer, and a rubber
>mallet. :)
><wince>
>Urgh...that makes even ME cringe...

Someone has to have _some_ sense in this wild and crazy group! From your
description, which has me alternately ROTFLMAO and deeply puzzling your
fascination with rubber.... I have one word:

Double-Plus-Ungood-Urgh!

Owen

Don HARLOW

Nov 1, 1994, 11:21:44 AM11/1/94
n914...@scooter.cc.wwu.edu (Jacob C Kesinger) skribis en lastatempa afisxo <n9146070.783373485@scooter>:

>Theorem: Everybody from the Two Rivers can Channel.
>
>Basis: Nynaeve can channel.
>
>Induction: Assume n people from the Two Rivers can Channel. Find
>another. Therefore, everybody can channel.

Doesn't this make the assumption that the people of the Two Rivers are in
some kind of order? I thought that Perrin had discovered differently.

--
Don HARLOW do...@netcom.com
Esperanto League for N.A. el...@netcom.com (800) 828-5944

John Novak

Nov 1, 1994, 1:53:41 PM11/1/94
In <donhCyL...@netcom.com> do...@netcom.com (Don HARLOW) writes:

>>Theorem: Everybody from the Two Rivers can Channel.
>>Basis: Nynaeve can channel.
>>Induction: Assume n people from the Two Rivers can Channel. Find
>>another. Therefore, everybody can channel.

>Doesn't this make the assumption that the people of the Two Rivers are in
>some kind of order? I thought that Perrin had discovered differently.

This is one of those gag proofs that people in math departments
like so much. Personally, I find this one to be perfectly silly,
because it doesn't even _look_ like it follows proper induction.
It misses by miles.

I mean, proofs that 1=2 can be subtle.
Proofs that Alexander the Great had an infinite number of arms
can be amusing.
But proofs that all cars are red just boggle me.

Lars Kremers

Nov 5, 1994, 2:51:24 AM11/5/94
: description, which has me alternately ROTFLMAO and deeply puzzling your

I thought i was getting the hang of all the acronyms .... please do tell?

Lars

Osan'gar

Nov 5, 1994, 1:57:28 PM11/5/94
Lars Kremers (la...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au) wrote:
: : description, which has me alternately ROTFLMAO and deeply puzzling your

: I thought i was getting the hang of all the acronyms .... please do tell?

Rolling On The Floor Laughing My *** Off.

--Jared "Osan'gar" Samet

: Lars

Rogelio Antonio Padilla

Nov 5, 1994, 2:08:16 PM11/5/94
In article <39fdhs$n...@styx.uwa.edu.au>,
I'm pretty sure this one is Rolling On The Floor, Laughing My Ass Off.

Anthony
rpad...@princeton.edu

Robyn Goldstein

Nov 5, 1994, 5:25:48 PM11/5/94
In article <39fdhs$n...@styx.uwa.edu.au>,
Lars Kremers <la...@tartarus.uwa.edu.au> wrote:

>: description, which has me alternately ROTFLMAO and deeply puzzling your

>I thought i was getting the hang of all the acronyms .... please do tell?

Rolling on the Floor Laughing my ass off.

Hawk

* Abuse Silly Putty at your own risk. *

Andrea Lynn Leistra

Nov 5, 1994, 8:56:59 PM11/5/94