DC Book Signing

Piglet

Nov 1, 1994, 10:39:51 PM11/1/94
Well, we met the Creator tonight. Very nice, etc etc etc. What
everyone else said.

I did not have to say where I got the books. Whew.

Being in a New Place, Warder was worried about me, and suggested
I hire a temp Warder fill in. He said "like that Chad fellow".
So I temporarily bonded Chad, who kept me safe throughout the
signing. I severed his bond as soon as I got home. Being AS
of the Teal Ajah (half blue, half green) I am permitted to
occassionally bond other warders temporarily for safety's sake.

Mike - your book is signed. Chad did it, since he
was getting just one book signed, and I was getting 6 signed.
We had to write on a stickum what we wanted it addressed to - a
book helper wrote it down on the stickum. I said "To Sir" - "sir?
like, ... sir?" "Yes, sir... MPS Mike". She looked at me like
I was a loon, but Chad rescued me and said "You kinda had to
be there". I think Jordan signed it no questions asked.
I have it now, and if you'll just pay me $1453, I'll give
it back to you . :)

I got there about 20 mins early, perused their SF selections (got
Briar Rose by Jane Yolen and Snow White and Rose Red by Patricia
Wrede), bought tEotW and tGH in hardback, and got in line. I also
saw in line Chad, Corwin (Jim Folsom) and lurker name Russ (friends
with Bob Gibson). I had a list of questions to ask, most from
Erica, Twin of my Heart. I got up there and asked:

Question: "Would you speculate about how old Verin in, other
than very old?"

Reply : "No"

Question: "Theoretically, if you, well not *you*, if someone, well,
err, ummm, ... *blushing furiously*... had sex in T'A'R, could they
be pregnant in the real world?"

Reply: He just stared at me for what seemed an eternity. Eventually,
and it most have been *days* later, I was *so* embarassed, he smiled
and said "Read and find out. I *like* the dirty
questions! You notice it's always the women who ask the dirty
questions, never the men". I sputtered and babbled a bit, saying
"It was not really dirty, and it was my husband's question, not
mine at all, not dirty, no.. " after which I was reduced to a
blathering idiot. How embarassing! On the way out of line, Chad
teased me about asking dirty questions...

After this, I was just like a deer frozen in the headlights. I could
not think of anyother thing to say (even though I had the list
in front of me).

Next time through (for my next 3 books):

Question: "Is the Tower of Ghenji based on the dark tower from the story
of Childe Roland?"

Answer: "no". (sorry Emma - it sounded like a good idea to me...)

I think I then asked how long of time elapsed in LOC. Chad - did I ask
that? My brain is fried a bit I fear. I *thought* I asked it, but I can't
recall the answer. Chad? Can you help me out?

Oh, I gave him the list of questions that I had made up - most were
Erica's. I figured I did not need them, and he might get a kick out of
them. I can post the list here, in case you all want to get a kick
out of it. I won't do so now though because the questions came from
Erica's personal email to me, and while I don't think she'll give two
hoots if I post it, I wanna be sure. We all know how rude it is
to post email without permission... but if she gives it, and if
anyone wants to see the list (it really is funny) I'll post it.

It was fun! Wanna add anything Chad? Or Jim or Russ?

Oh, I got him to sign the books to Judy, excpet for LOC which
he signed to "Judy Sedai, the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills -
Robert Jordan". Cool, huh?

Judy G.

--
Judy Ghirardelli || Love is Always , Me is Life
ju...@ren.psy.jhu.edu || Forever is just another Smile

Clay Blankenship

Nov 3, 1994, 5:40:42 PM11/3/94
In article <399dtu$7...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>,
Piglet <ghir...@wam.umd.edu> wrote a list of questions for RJ:

>7. Who are the Algohl named after? The programming Language? The star?

Doesn't the star name come from Arabic for "demon" or something similar?
I seem to recall that. (Is this one not in the FAQ?) Perhaps it is
related etymologically to "ghoul". Maybe he thought the programming
language was evil, but I can't imagine why RJ would be programming in
Algol.

>If you have sex in T'A'R, can you be pregnant in the real world?
>What if you had sex when pulled into someone's dream?

Intriguing.

Clay

It's hard to do math when you're a very small animal.

Piglet

Nov 2, 1994, 8:21:02 PM11/2/94
I say:

>Oh, I gave him the list of questions that I had made up - most were
>Erica's. I figured I did not need them, and he might get a kick out of
>them. I can post the list here, in case you all want to get a kick
>out of it. I won't do so now though because the questions came from
>Erica's personal email to me, and while I don't think she'll give two
>hoots if I post it, I wanna be sure. We all know how rude it is
>to post email without permission... but if she gives it, and if
>anyone wants to see the list (it really is funny) I'll post it.

She gave permission, and here is da list:

Q: Are the watchdogs of the Tinkers vegetarians too?

1. What exactly is the taint?

2. Is that three-pointed thing in Tanchico a Mercedes Benz symbol or
a Startrek symbol?

3. Who was Anla? Ann Landers?

4. Who was Susa?

5. Who was Beidomon <!!!!

6. Why does Tear have so many Ter'angreal? How did they get there?

7. Who are the Algohl named after? The programming Language? The star?

8. What are the other ages (the ones we'll never see-- #1, #5, #6, #7)

9. What do the colors around the portal stones mean if ajahs were only
invented about 3000 years ago?

10. Say exactly: "It was really great when Mat was dancing with Balthamel.
I nearly died laughing. Were you influenced by the movie 'Switch'?"

11. How tall is Verin? And where does she come from? How old is she?

12. Did Demandred kill Taim or has he been impersonating him since book 1?
<like "Have you stopped beating your wife?" - JG>

13. Why did Perrin's horse turn from Stayer to Slayer? Are you trying to
tell us something?

14. What exactly is Ji?

15. How can you become a Gaishan without being taken captive? Could Egwene
have become Gaishan and reduced her toh to every Aiel?

16. What's the difference between Mashadar and Mordeth?

17. What is Eldrene's Veil?

18. When Min was a tavern wench, did she ever, well, you know...

19. Why was loial reading "to sail beyond the sunset"...couldn't you
have picked a *good* heinlein book?

20. Will Bela get pregnant?

21. Why did you kill off the scientist? He was such a great character...

22. Why doesn't Birgitte ask to be released from her bond?

23. What happens when the wheel breaks? <just look for the reaction,
not necessarily a straight answer>

24. Is Padan Fain the Coyote?

25. How much fun is it to watch your main character go boffo?

26. How long is LoC? (How many months--it can tell us if Aviendha
should be showing if she were preggers)

(emma's question)
Is the Tower of Ghenji based on the dark tower in the Childe
Roland story?

(my questions)

If you have sex in T'A'R, can you be pregnant in the real world?
What if you had sex when pulled into someone's dream?

<erica's>
What can you say about the background of the Aelfs and the eelfs that
won't ruin the story.

<mine>
Will it ever be explained where Moiraine went off
to in the beginning of tGH during tge time of the Darkfriend Social?

What would happen if your balefire the seals?

Joe Morris

Nov 7, 1994, 9:45:08 AM11/7/94
cl...@tamsun.tamu.edu (Clay Blankenship) writes:

>In a recent article Piglet wrote a list of questions for RJ:

>>7. Who are the Algohl named after? The programming Language? The star?

>Doesn't the star name come from Arabic for "demon" or something similar?

The star's name is Arabic: al-ghul (so named because of its red color) and
does translate to "the ghoul".

Joe Morris / MITRE / this will be on the final exam