Richmond Signing

1 view

Kate Nepveu

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
"John Nowacki" <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote:

No spoilers for WH.

> He said "Sammael is dead" and "Sammael is toast."

Wow. Now _that's_ news...

Kate
--
http://lynx.neu.edu/k/knepveu/ -- The Paired Reading Page; Reviews
"Well there's only two things in life but I forget what they are

Christopher Tong

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

John Nowacki wrote:

> He said "Sammael is dead" and "Sammael is toast."

_Sammael_? Not _Asmodean_?

Interesting to say the least.

Chris

John Johnson

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00

"John Nowacki" <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:QjFU5.10271

> He said "Sammael is dead" and "Sammael is toast."

Sammael, and not Asmo? That puts a new spin on things.

>He explained the Far Madding channelling
> detector (I think that's already been discussed here),

How did he explain the Far Madding ter'angeal?

--
John Johnson

Matthew Hackell

Nov 27, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/27/00
From the book of John Nowacki:
> Kate Nepveu <kate....@yale.edu> wrote in message

> > "John Nowacki" <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > No spoilers for WH.
> >
> > > He said "Sammael is dead" and "Sammael is toast."
> >
> > Wow. Now _that's_ news...
>
> I wasn't sure I'd heard it right--he was talking to someone a bit ahead of
> me--but another person I spoke with heard the same thing.
>
> That sure messes up a few theories. . . .

Can anyone confirm this? No offense, John, but I'd like to hear this
from a few sources before I buy it, because it seems very unlikely that
Sammael is both dead and not-coming-back (as toast implies).

--
Matt

Somehow, I don't think we've seen the last of Slobodan and his unholy
legion of the undead

John Nowacki

Nov 27, 2000, 10:07:28 PM11/27/00
Regarding this evening's signing at Tower Books in Richmond:

The crowd was not very large, perhaps 50-75 people. RJ showed up right at
seven, and tried to head off some of the more common questions--he
pronounced several names, made the usual remarks about knowing the last
scene for the past fifteen years, said that even the most cursory reading
ought to indicate who killed Asmodean (and that he enjoys people trying to
figure it out), and that there will be at least three more books. He also
said it would be fine for people to take pictures, but that "no male nudity"
would be permitted. He said something to that effect at the DC signing two
years ago, as well . . . a matter of great concern, apparently.

I haven't had a chance to review other posts--especially relating to other
signings--over the past few days, so some of this may be old news already.
He said "Sammael is dead" and "Sammael is toast." He confirmed that the
Crystal Throne is a ter'angreal (as the Big Book of Bad Art says), but that
it does not require channelling. He explained the Far Madding channelling
detector (I think that's already been discussed here), and gave an RAFO when
asked whether the DO reincarnated people in the War of Power.

He was in a pretty good mood, and joked a bit about the rumors of health
problems--he told a story about a couple of Hell's Angels at a signing who
said they'd desecrate his grave if he died before finishing the series.

Since I had to drive back to Fairfax, I left at 7:30 and didn't catch any
more answers. I did talk to a few people there, but only one of them was
familiar with this group.

That's it.

--
John A. Nowacki
jano...@earthlink.net

Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV

Nov 27, 2000, 10:12:31 PM11/27/00

> Regarding this evening's signing at Tower Books in Richmond:

-snippo-

> Since I had to drive back to Fairfax, I left at 7:30 and didn't catch any
> more answers. I did talk to a few people there, but only one of them was
> familiar with this group.
>
> That's it.

I didn't really talk to the people there, as I've no idea what any of
you look like. I was the 8th or 9th person in line, and I stood around until
about 7:15 (at which point I had to leave), listening to the answers he was
giving.

That's interesting that Sammael is dead. Then who is giving Slayer
commands?

John Nowacki

Nov 27, 2000, 10:16:02 PM11/27/00
Kate Nepveu <kate....@yale.edu> wrote in message
> "John Nowacki" <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> No spoilers for WH.
>
> > He said "Sammael is dead" and "Sammael is toast."
>
> Wow. Now _that's_ news...

I wasn't sure I'd heard it right--he was talking to someone a bit ahead of
me--but another person I spoke with heard the same thing.

That sure messes up a few theories. . . .

--
John A. Nowacki
jano...@earthlink.net

John Nowacki

Nov 27, 2000, 10:29:16 PM11/27/00
Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV <argo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

> John Nowacki <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > Regarding this evening's signing at Tower Books in Richmond:
>
> -snippo-
>
> > Since I had to drive back to Fairfax, I left at 7:30 and didn't catch
any
> > more answers. I did talk to a few people there, but only one of them
was
> > familiar with this group.
> >
> > That's it.
> I didn't really talk to the people there, as I've no idea what any of
> you look like. I was the 8th or 9th person in line, and I stood around
until
> about 7:15 (at which point I had to leave), listening to the answers he
was
> giving.

I was first in line, if that helps.

> That's interesting that Sammael is dead. Then who is giving Slayer
> commands?

Gut reaction: Demandred. Likes using proxies, wouldn't care much about
orders not to kill Rand, and could order Slayer.

Need to re-read that scene now. . . .

John S. Novak, III

Nov 27, 2000, 10:40:19 PM11/27/00
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:12:31 GMT, Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV
<argo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> That's interesting that Sammael is dead.

Feh.
Sammael was much cooler than most of the other Forsaken.
Why does he keep killing off the intereting ones?

> Then who is giving Slayer
>commands?

Taim, of course.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net
The Humblest Man on the Net

John Nowacki

Nov 27, 2000, 10:49:55 PM11/27/00
John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:12:31 GMT, Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV
> <argo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Then who is giving Slayer
> >commands?
>
> Taim, of course.

We know how fallible a character's POV can be, but Slayer seems to think
that among those men who can channel, only the Forsaken know how to contact
him.

I know. That doesn't prove anything.

Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV

Nov 27, 2000, 10:59:44 PM11/27/00

> Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV <argo...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> > John Nowacki <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> > > Regarding this evening's signing at Tower Books in Richmond:
> >
> > -snippo-
> >
> > > Since I had to drive back to Fairfax, I left at 7:30 and didn't catch
> any
> > > more answers. I did talk to a few people there, but only one of them
> was
> > > familiar with this group.
> > >
> > > That's it.
> > I didn't really talk to the people there, as I've no idea what any
of
> > you look like. I was the 8th or 9th person in line, and I stood around
> until
> > about 7:15 (at which point I had to leave), listening to the answers he
> was
> > giving.
>
> I was first in line, if that helps.

Yeah I would probably recognize you now. You walked back out past the
line, rather than through the exit (to stick around awhile, apparently). I
wish I had recorded the pronounciations. Did he say "ice seh die" or "ice
seh day"?

> > That's interesting that Sammael is dead. Then who is giving Slayer
> > commands?
>
> Gut reaction: Demandred. Likes using proxies, wouldn't care much about
> orders not to kill Rand, and could order Slayer.
>
> Need to re-read that scene now. . . .

Quite possible, given that he clearly wants Moridin out of the way (and
"shortly"), which would explain why he doesn't want to risk giving away his
identity when he subverts Moridin's commands for Slayer.

John Nowacki

Nov 27, 2000, 11:02:09 PM11/27/00
John Johnson <jo...@idf.centerpartners.com> wrote in message

> "John Nowacki" <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:QjFU5.10271

> >He explained the Far Madding channelling
> > detector (I think that's already been discussed here),
>
> How did he explain the Far Madding ter'angeal?

[spoilers]

I don't think he said anything that hasn't been posted here already. Two
overlapping zones that prevent channelling, one each for saidin and saidar,
one larger than the other. The device in the Counsels' place indicates
whether a man or woman channelled, and so on. It was pretty much what you
get from the book; I don't recall him saying anything that was new.

Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV

Nov 27, 2000, 11:06:46 PM11/27/00

John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message
> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:12:31 GMT, Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV
> <argo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > That's interesting that Sammael is dead.
>
> Feh.
> Sammael was much cooler than most of the other Forsaken.
> Why does he keep killing off the intereting ones?

The interaction between Sammael and Graendal was interesting, at the
least. A better question would be "why are less interesting Forsaken reborn
while Sammael isn't?".

> > Then who is giving Slayer
> >commands?
>
> Taim, of course.

Why would the shadow give Taim access to Slayer? Might as well make him
a chosen and give him a pair of keys to the Shayol Ghul holodeck while
they're at it. Speaking of which, it should be obvious at this point that
the prologue to TGH actually DID take place at Shayol Ghul, in one of these
make-believe constructs.

John Nowacki

Nov 27, 2000, 11:14:48 PM11/27/00

> Yeah I would probably recognize you now. You walked back out past the
> line, rather than through the exit (to stick around awhile, apparently).

Right, I had another book I wanted signed.

> I wish I had recorded the pronounciations. Did he say "ice seh die" or
"ice
> seh day"?

Die would fit with the glossary entry.

John S. Novak, III

Nov 27, 2000, 11:18:34 PM11/27/00
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:06:46 GMT, Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV
<argo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Taim, of course.

> Why would the shadow give Taim access to Slayer? Might as well make him
>a chosen and give him a pair of keys to the Shayol Ghul holodeck while
>they're at it. Speaking of which, it should be obvious at this point that
>the prologue to TGH actually DID take place at Shayol Ghul, in one of these
>make-believe constructs.

Who said the Shadow "gave" him anything?
It's clear that Slayer is known among more than just the Forsaken.
Taim is resourceful and powerful, and extremely ambitious.
Fooling Slayer into thinking he was taking orders from a Forsaken
would be perfectly in character.

--

John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net

John S. Novak, III

Nov 27, 2000, 11:32:32 PM11/27/00
On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:12:51 -0500, Matthew Hackell
<mhac...@princeton.edu> wrote:

>> That sure messes up a few theories. . . .

>Can anyone confirm this? No offense, John, but I'd like to hear this

>from a few sources before I buy it, because it seems very unlikely that
>Sammael is both dead and not-coming-back (as toast implies).

I'm more surprised by the lack of an RAFO.

John Nowacki

Nov 27, 2000, 11:51:25 PM11/27/00

> On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:12:51 -0500, Matthew Hackell
> <mhac...@princeton.edu> wrote:
>
> >> That sure messes up a few theories. . . .
>
> >Can anyone confirm this? No offense, John, but I'd like to hear this
> >from a few sources before I buy it, because it seems very unlikely that
> >Sammael is both dead and not-coming-back (as toast implies).
>
> I'm more surprised by the lack of an RAFO.

I don't know what the question was (I only caught the answer, and he made
the comment about Sammael twice--"dead" and "toast"), but you're right--it's
not like him to say anything significant outright . . . unless he thinks
it's obvious. I didn't think it was obvious, here.

In fact, I thought the Sammael-commanding-Slayer theory was plausible.

Anyway, perhaps someone at tomorrow's signing would ask him to confirm this?

Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV

Nov 27, 2000, 11:52:45 PM11/27/00

John Nowacki <jano...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
What he did add (which you can get out of the text anyway) is that the
area of detection is the largest circle of all.

Check out http://avatar.telefragged.com/jordan.mpg

Also, he mentioned that Flinn was doing the channelling (when they
detected a male). This may've been obvious, I haven't reread that section
yet.

Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV

Nov 27, 2000, 11:58:13 PM11/27/00

John S. Novak, III <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message

Somebody would have to let Taim know Slayer existed in the first place,
as well as the protocal for contacting him. If they trust him far enough to
refer him to Slayer, then it implies that he's close to being a Chosen
himself, but apparently not so much for Demandred to waste a moment of
thought on him (though he thinks of all the other surviving Forsaken in
Wonderful News).

If you think he managed to figure out about Slayer all on his own, then
you're giving him quite a bit of credit. That or the Forsaken have
remarkably loose lips.

Billy Todd

Nov 27, 2000, 11:46:08 PM11/27/00
On 28 Nov 2000 04:32:32 GMT, j...@concentric.net (John S. Novak, III)
wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:12:51 -0500, Matthew Hackell
><mhac...@princeton.edu> wrote:
>
>>> That sure messes up a few theories. . . .
>
>>Can anyone confirm this? No offense, John, but I'd like to hear this
>>from a few sources before I buy it, because it seems very unlikely that
>>Sammael is both dead and not-coming-back (as toast implies).
>
>I'm more surprised by the lack of an RAFO.

ObAolie: Me too.

It's extremely un-RJ to let something he _obviously_ kept
ambiguous like Sammy's death be settled just like that.

We all know Moiraine is coming back, but doesn't he still
give a RAFO about her?

Until I read Moridin saying "Oh by the way, Sammy's dead- I cut out
his heart with a balefire spoon." or someone can confirm without doubt
that Jordan said this, I'd have to respectfully put this in the
"rumor" column.

Though I do give it more credence than the article I read in the paper
this morning about RJ's near-fatal rollerblading accident.

<G,D,&R>

----------------------
Billy Todd WT...@Clemson.edu
"But with help from the 'people' in rasfwr-j, I'm sure
we can sink lower than whale shit."-Reverend Sean O'Hara

John S. Novak, III

Nov 28, 2000, 12:40:31 AM11/28/00
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:58:13 GMT, Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV
<argo...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Somebody would have to let Taim know Slayer existed in the first place,
>as well as the protocal for contacting him. If they trust him far enough to
>refer him to Slayer, then it implies that he's close to being a Chosen
>himself, but apparently not so much for Demandred to waste a moment of
>thought on him (though he thinks of all the other surviving Forsaken in
>Wonderful News).

It is clear from Slayer's thoughts that people other than the Forsaken
know of his existence. The first step in gaining access and control
over someone or something is to ascertain existence. Slayer doesn't
_think_ any men other than the Forsaken know of him, and he doesn't
_think_ any would have the balls to command him.

But who would have a better reason for disguise than a non-Forsaken,
who wants to keep Slayer secure in his little world? And how many
other prominent non-Forsaken are there who are men and would be trying
to kill Rand?

Other top candidates would be Sammael, disguising himself to keep his
existence secret from the other Forsaken, and perhaps Dashiva. But I
think Taim makes a great deal of sense.

--

John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net

Pekka Savola

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
j...@concentric.net (John S. Novak, III) wrote:

>On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 23:12:51 -0500, Matthew Hackell
><mhac...@princeton.edu> wrote:
>
>>> That sure messes up a few theories. . . .
>
>>Can anyone confirm this? No offense, John, but I'd like to hear this
>>from a few sources before I buy it, because it seems very unlikely that
>>Sammael is both dead and not-coming-back (as toast implies).
>
>I'm more surprised by the lack of an RAFO.

Yeah, I'd have expected RAFO too.

However, this might be explainable: I don't think there were any
Forsaken spying on Rand/Sammel when they fought (disregarding
Wanderer, who left before the outcome was clear).

How on earth could there be any RAFO to this _if_ Sammael was toasted.
Mashadar was the only witness and it's gone now, too ;-)

Only if Sammael survived and someone knew, the other Forsaken might
have something to say about that. And all POV's we've met have been
like "Sam disappeared suddenly", IIRC.

Pekka Savola pekkas at netcore dot fi
---
Across the nations the stories spread like spiderweb laid upon spiderweb,
and men and women planned the future, believing they knew truth. They
planned, and the Pattern absorbed their plans, weaving toward the future
foretold. -- Robert Jordan: The Path of Daggers

Billy Todd

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:19:03 +0200, Pekka Savola <pek...@netcore.fi>
wrote:

>j...@concentric.net (John S. Novak, III) wrote:

>>>Can anyone confirm this? No offense, John, but I'd like to hear this
>>>from a few sources before I buy it, because it seems very unlikely that
>>>Sammael is both dead and not-coming-back (as toast implies).
>>
>>I'm more surprised by the lack of an RAFO.
>

>Yeah, I'd have expected RAFO too.
>
>However, this might be explainable: I don't think there were any
>Forsaken spying on Rand/Sammel when they fought (disregarding
>Wanderer, who left before the outcome was clear).
>
>How on earth could there be any RAFO to this _if_ Sammael was toasted.
>Mashadar was the only witness and it's gone now, too ;-)

The Dark One would know.

I would expect the Dark One to either make an example of Sammy
(like Rhavin and Asmo) or recycle him.

Either way, the Dark One knows if Sammy's dead. Who he's divulged
that information to is something else entirely.

If we ever get another Moridin POV he, as Nae'Blis, should be privy to
the status of Sammy's soul.

-------------
Billy Todd Wt...@clemson.edu
"All that can accurately be said about a man who thinks he
is a poached egg is that he is in the minority." -- James Burke

Joseph

Nov 28, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/28/00

"John S. Novak, III" <j...@concentric.net> wrote in message

> On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:12:31 GMT, Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV
> <argo...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > That's interesting that Sammael is dead.
>
> Feh.
> Sammael was much cooler than most of the other Forsaken.
> Why does he keep killing off the intereting ones?
>
> > Then who is giving Slayer
> >commands?
>
> Taim, of course.

Taim as in Demandred. From Demandreds pov he seems unusually desperate to
see Rand dead.

-krax

Anne Willick

Nov 28, 2000, 8:18:41 PM11/28/00
On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 03:07:28 GMT, John Nowacki said...

> Regarding this evening's signing at Tower Books in Richmond:

<snip>

> [RJ] also

> said it would be fine for people to take pictures, but that "no male nudity"
> would be permitted. He said something to that effect at the DC signing two
> years ago, as well . . . a matter of great concern, apparently.

Damn. There goes my Reason #7 for attending a signing.

--
Anne

Just. Kidding.

Laura M. Parkinson

Nov 28, 2000, 8:38:45 PM11/28/00
"Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV" <argo...@earthlink.net> rhapsodized
in blue:

Er, no, I distinctly remember Narishma being the one to slip away.
(Believe me, I would.) I think Jordan was smoking something that
morning, or some such...

--
-'-,-'-<<0 Trickster 0>>-'-,-'- lpark...@mindspring.com
http://lparkinson.home.mindspring.com

"Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be
destroyed." -Richard Adams, Watership Down

Fairfax Sheild McCandlish IV

Nov 28, 2000, 9:14:09 PM11/28/00

Laura M. Parkinson <lpark...@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Narishma did slip away, according to Jordan that was to fool "them" into
thinking it was Narishma channelling, when it was actually Flinn. Creator's
words!

Laura M. Parkinson

Nov 29, 2000, 12:48:54 AM11/29/00

*blink blink blink*

*scratches head in puzzlement*

Kenneth G. Cavness

Dec 1, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/1/00
Foolishly giving up the right to remain silent,
Anne Willick <bwil...@NOmediaSPAMone.net> wrote...

So. What's reason number three?

--
Kenneth G. Cavness
http://stargoat.dynip.com/ (usually)

Anne Willick

Dec 2, 2000, 8:00:30 PM12/2/00
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000 09:13:02 -0600, Kenneth G. Cavness said...

> Foolishly giving up the right to remain silent,
> Anne Willick <bwil...@NOmediaSPAMone.net> wrote...
> So. What's reason number three?

To ask how many more books there will be, of course!

--
Anne

Katherine Inskip

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00

Flinn channelled inside the detection zone, but outside the
region where Saidin is inaccessible. Narishma slipped away,
so that when Flinn's channelling from outside was detected,
the Ter'Angreal watchers of Far Madding thought that Narishma
was channelling _inside_ the town. Which was "impossible".

--
Katherine

Adam Benedict Canning

Dec 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM12/4/00

Katherine Inskip wrote:

> !! "Laura" == Laura M Parkinson <lpark...@mindspring.com> writes:
>

> Flinn channelled inside the detection zone, but outside the
> region where Saidin is inaccessible. Narishma slipped away,
> so that when Flinn's channelling from outside was detected,
> the Ter'Angreal watchers of Far Madding thought that Narishma
> was channelling _inside_ the town. Which was "impossible".

Doesn't Work. The Guardian Enables the watchers to triangulate the
position of the channeller.

Thus they know the range.

Besides their first assumption is that one cant channel inside the town
and so will discard any part of thier cocked hat that is inside teh
protected zone.

Given the distance betweent the trianglation points we ought to be able
to calculate thier probable scan resolution quite well.

Adam

h craig c kuettner

Dec 9, 2000, 4:07:35 PM12/9/00

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000, John Nowacki wrote:

> Regarding this evening's signing at Tower Books in Richmond:
>

> The crowd was not very large, perhaps 50-75 people. RJ showed up right at
> seven, and tried to head off some of the more common questions--he
> pronounced several names, made the usual remarks about knowing the last
> scene for the past fifteen years, said that even the most cursory reading
> ought to indicate who killed Asmodean (and that he enjoys people trying to
> figure it out), and that there will be at least three more books. He also

> said it would be fine for people to take pictures, but that "no male nudity"
> would be permitted. He said something to that effect at the DC signing two
> years ago, as well . . . a matter of great concern, apparently.

This is funny. I suppose he goes to so many signings that it is almost
like he has a script. I went to a signing here in Champaign-Urbana,
Illinois and he said almost exactly the same things you listed here down
to the "no male nudity" comment. At the signing I attended, this comment
was followed by someone asking if female nudity was acceptable, to which
RJ replied, "Well, I don't want to be a prude!" While he was signing my
book, I asked him, since he keeps saying that the murder of Asmodean is
"perfectly obvious," if he intended to actually tell us in one of the
books. He replied by saying, "I don't know. It's so much fun watching
you all squirm."

ck