NoVA signing

Robert Mee

Jan 24, 2003, 12:47:03 AM1/24/03
Hey all,

The signing at Bailey's Crossroads in Northern Virgina was awesome. Well
over 200 people came out to meet the man whose series we all very much enjoy
debating/arguing/considering/contemplating. Again, RJ did the whole thing
about pronunciation and told us all that someone somewhere had puzzled out
the Asmodean mystery... but wouldn't tell us the sleuth or the solution.
Most people seemed to be uninterested in asking questions about WoT while he
signed... though there were some interesting discussions in line. I did
manage to get one question in toward the end. I asked if we had actually
seen Mesaana's alter in the White Tower and he answered "Yes." I think he
was waiting for me to say "Who?" so he could respond "RAFO"..... but I
didn't. Granted, it's not much, but it's a bit of evidence that Mesaana is
not some random AS in the Tower... we have seen her. It was my first
signing... so I was a bit awed. Hope the report suffices!

Rob

David Chapman

Jan 24, 2003, 5:12:59 AM1/24/03
Robert Mee wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> [...] I asked if we had actually seen

> Mesaana's alter in the White Tower and he answered "Yes." I think he
> was waiting for me to say "Who?" so he could respond "RAFO"..... but
> I didn't. Granted, it's not much, but it's a bit of evidence that
> Mesaana is not some random AS in the Tower... we have seen her. It
> was my first signing... so I was a bit awed. Hope the report
> suffices!

That's fairly major news, Robert, so yes.

--
Dark don't lie, dreams come true
Could be a few will see you through

Jim Mansfield

Jan 24, 2003, 7:01:00 AM1/24/03
"David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in

> Robert Mee wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> [...] I asked if we had actually seen
>> Mesaana's alter in the White Tower and he answered "Yes." I
>> think he was waiting for me to say "Who?" so he could respond
>> "RAFO"..... but I didn't. Granted, it's not much, but it's a bit
>> of evidence that Mesaana is not some random AS in the Tower... we
>> have seen her. It was my first signing... so I was a bit awed.
>> Hope the report suffices!
>
> That's fairly major news, Robert, so yes.

Agreed!

IIRC, there has been no proof (ie, word from RJ) that we have seen
Mesaana's alter ego before, even if we are still debating about who she
is [1].

RJ seems to be giving out lots of "alter ego" informative answers this
signing round. First Demandred's Sir Not Yet Appearing alter ego and
conclusive evidence that we have seen Mesaana.

Quite a coup, Robert :-)

-Jim

Jim Mansfield

Jan 24, 2003, 7:24:57 AM1/24/03
Jim Mansfield <j...@jmansfield.DELETEME.com> wrote in

I hate to followup my own post ... but I also hate to leave a hanging
footnote ;-)

[1] I am in the Mesaana = Danelle camp.

ra...@yahoo.com

Jan 24, 2003, 9:55:55 AM1/24/03
I was at the Bailey's Crossroads signing, too. I am convinced that
two books is not enough to finish the series, and his answer to my
question confirmed my belief. I asked him what the order of books nad
novellas would be. He said that his next project is to flesh out New
Spring, then do a novel, and alternate from there. I have a hard time
believing he would finish the series with a prequel novella, so it
seems that the likely pattern is as follows:

CoT --> New Spring 2 --> Book The Next --> Novella -->
Book The Next Next --> Novella --> Book The Last

Robert Mee

Jan 24, 2003, 11:35:02 AM1/24/03

"Jim Mansfield" <j...@jmansfield.DELETEME.com> wrote in message

> Jim Mansfield <j...@jmansfield.DELETEME.com> wrote in
>
> > "David Chapman" <evil...@madasafish.com> wrote in

[snip]

Pleased to be of service to y'all!

J.Hamby

Jan 24, 2003, 5:50:38 PM1/24/03
"Robert Mee" <rm...@gmu.edu> wrote in message news:<b0qjcb$i...@portal.gmu.edu>...

> Hey all,
>
> The signing at Bailey's Crossroads in Northern Virgina was awesome.
>... though there were some interesting discussions in line. I did
> manage to get one question in toward the end. I asked if we had actually
> seen Mesaana's alter in the White Tower and he answered "Yes." I think he
> was waiting for me to say "Who?" so he could respond "RAFO"..... but I
> didn't. Granted, it's not much, but it's a bit of evidence that Mesaana is
> not some random AS in the Tower... we have seen her. It was my first
> signing... so I was a bit awed. Hope the report suffices!

Thanks Rob.

This matches the Mesaana reports out of the Philly
area. So that leaves Danelle, Tarna Laras as the
only _possible_ culprits. Danelle being way
ahead.

---
JSH

John Nowacki

Jan 24, 2003, 6:03:18 PM1/24/03
On 24 Jan 2003 06:55:55 -0800, ra...@yahoo.com (ra...@yahoo.com)
wrote:

I dropped by there and -- like the D.C. signing -- didn't hear many
questions about the books.

I forgot to include it in the report on the lunch hour signing, but
when he gave the usual spiel about two more books, he was a lot more
cautious. A couple of years ago he was fairly unequivocal about it
being three more, but this time he said the appropriate number and
added several more bits than usual about if he can make it, if it
works out, &c.

Almost sounded as if he doubted he could do it. Which wouldn't
surprise a lot of people here, I think.

On the plan for the short stories: If he wants the last volume to be
the final word, that's certainly understandable, but I would rather
get on with the story than read a rehash of NS or The Adventures Of
Tam al'Thor. Or whatever.

So how much time will a novella add to the wait? Six months? Another
year?

---
John Nowacki
jano...@hotmail.com

Edwin Fell

Jan 28, 2003, 7:21:02 AM1/28/03
In news:fdb3b15f.03012...@posting.google.com,
ra...@yahoo.com typed:

Hmm. This could be a good thing. I always thought the books'
pacing was due to "ah, got lots of time so lets concentrate on the
details that everyone loves", then suddenly "holy crap! I'm at the end
of the book! Gotta finish it!" and "Wow, Jordan's done! Don't bother
editing it, Harriet's his wife!".

Doing novellas requires a certain compactness of prose that we
could hope carries over to the main series.

Yeah, yeah, I know. What was I thinking.