Call For Questions For RJ - Dayton Signing

Michael Martin

Jan 13, 2003, 9:14:47 AM1/13/03
RJ will be signing books here (Dayton) Thursday night.  I'm going.  I'm willing, to the best of my ability and as opportunities allow, to fire off questions to RJ for the group.  I'll be checking this thread through Thursday afternoon.

However.

This is a great bookstore, one I go to regularly, so anyone hoping I'll make a strident/creative requests to Rigney to stop with the logorrhea and get on with the story will be disappointed - I'm not willing to get banned from the store.  If you can think of diplomatic ways of addressing the issue, I'll be glad to throw them at him.  Don't get me wrong - I fully agree the series has run amok and seems to be careening (perhaps that's energetic a word - lumbering? staggering?) out of control.  I'm just not willing to be rude enough to get kicked out of the best bookstore in town [1].

So let's start compiling queries for Mr Rigney.

--
 Michael Martin
http://www.stormraven.com

[1] I realize this gives a huge opening for Dayton- and/or Ohio-bashing jokes, but oh well.

David Chapman

Jan 13, 2003, 10:21:08 AM1/13/03
The Department of Pre-Crime reports that Michael Martin will say:

> So let's start compiling queries for Mr Rigney.

I have one for Mr Martin: are you going to turn off your HTML
or are you going to be killfiled a lot?

--
Dark don't lie, dreams come true
Could be a few will see you through

Michael Martin

Neil Anderson

Jan 14, 2003, 7:58:36 AM1/14/03
"Michael Martin" <baltez...@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<avuhkn$jt3$1...@mailgate2.lexis-nexis.com>...

> RJ will be signing books here (Dayton) Thursday night. I'm going. I'm
> willing, to the best of my ability and as opportunities allow, to fire
> off questions to RJ for the group. I'll be checking this thread through
> Thursday afternoon.
>
> However.
>
> This is a great bookstore, one I go to regularly, so anyone hoping I'll
> make a strident/creative requests to Rigney to stop with the logorrhea
> and get on with the story will be disappointed - I'm not willing to get
> banned from the store. If you can think of diplomatic ways of
> addressing the issue, I'll be glad to throw them at him. Don't get me
> wrong - I fully agree the series has run amok and seems to be careening
> (perhaps that's energetic a word - lumbering? staggering?) out of
> control. I'm just not willing to be rude enough to get kicked out of
> the best bookstore in town [1].
>
> So let's start compiling queries for Mr Rigney.
>
> --

Some of these are old queries, but, hey, you never know some of them
might get answered if we ask often enough.

What is the deal with the sisters who escort the Two Rivers girls
towards Salidar? Four leave Caemlyn (Denira Eriff, Kairen Stang,
Valinde Nathenos and Berenicia Morsad), but only two are mentioned as
appearing at the Salidar army. One of these we assume is Kairen
Stang, owing to events in CoT. Who was the other one to make it to
Egwene and what happened to the other two?

What is the deal with the sisters at the Silver Swan in Caemlyn - who
are they, what Ajah are they, are they Salidar-aligned, Tower-aligned
or neutral. Who are the ones that come and go from the inn during the
last three books (I think). We get some indication of Ajahs for some
of them in CoT, but nothing else. Are they somehow connected to the
remnants of Liandrian thirteen that we know from WH are in Caemlyn?

Ajah and orientation of the sisters with the armies of the Borderland
Army in Andor. Illeisien and Coladara are two of them, who are the
other eleven.

Breakdown of the sisters from the Tower who got bitch-slapped at
Dumai's Wells. Which two were killed along side Laigain Arnault?
Whose were the six Warders who were buried at the Wells? Of the dozen
or so sisters who escaped with Covarla and Lusonia Cole, what were
their Ajahs?

Ajah breakdown of the fifty-one sisters who were bonded by Logain et
al. What happens if some of them have Warders ie an Ashaman has
bonded a sister who has previously bonded her own Warder (note that in
Toveine's PoVs there is no mention of any Warders connected to the
expedition).

Amongst the AS with Elayne in Camelyn, who has warders and who
doesn't? When the Wonder Twins are leaving Ebou Dar, there are seven
(IIRC) Warders mentioned (four go through the gateway first, then
three more at the end of the troop). Of these we know of Lan
(Nynaeve's), Birgitte (Elayne's) and Jaem (Vandene/Adeleas). In WH I
think we hear of Careane's two warders and Sareitha's one. So that
leaves one other Warder. Is it Merilille's or does Careane a thrid
(there is no mention of a Warder when we hear of Merilille;s doings in
CoT).

What was Erian doing during the climax of WH? She is with Rand in
CoT, but she is notoriously absent from the Shadar Logoth
get-together.

Those are the few points I can think of off the top of my ehad.

Neil Anderson

John S. Novak, III

Jan 15, 2003, 6:37:25 PM1/15/03
In article <avuhkn$jt3$1...@mailgate2.lexis-nexis.com>, Michael Martin wrote:

> RJ will be signing books here (Dayton) Thursday night. I'm going. I'm =
> willing, to the best of my ability and as opportunities allow, to fire =
> off questions to RJ for the group. I'll be checking this thread through =
> Thursday afternoon.=20

> This is a great bookstore, one I go to regularly, so anyone hoping I'll =
> make a strident/creative requests to Rigney to stop with the logorrhea =
> and get on with the story will be disappointed - I'm not willing to get =
> banned from the store. If you can think of diplomatic ways of =

> addressing the issue, I'll be glad to throw them at him.

"Please describe the process of having a book like this professionally
editted."

--
John S. Novak, III j...@cegt201.bradley.edu
The Humblest Man on the Net

Tessy

Jan 15, 2003, 7:22:02 PM1/15/03

How on earth would RJ know about this? Oh, I see, that's your point.
--
Tessy @ nospam.com

James Mattravers

Jan 15, 2003, 11:16:44 PM1/15/03
j...@concentric.net (John S. Novak, III) wrote in message news:<b04rbk$lo03f$1...@ID-100778.news.dfncis.de>...

"Who killed Asmodean? Really, us readers are awfully distracted by
this, and it inhibits our overall enjoyment of your books. Okay, you
know what, I'll make it easy. Nod once if it was Bashere; Nod twice if
it was a Forsaken; Nod thrice if it was a member of the Black Ajah;
Nod twice and wink once if it was a female Forsaken. Nod twice and
wink twice if it was a male Forsaken. Wink three times if it was The
Hand of the Dark; Clap your hands if it was Moiraine returned from
Finnland..........."

Just keep going with that one until you've covered all the major
characters, and most of the minor ones.

Ross Bertram

Jan 15, 2003, 11:59:46 PM1/15/03

James Mattravers wrote:

> "Who killed Asmodean? Really, us readers are awfully distracted by
> this, and it inhibits our overall enjoyment of your books. Okay, you
> know what, I'll make it easy. Nod once if it was Bashere; Nod twice if
> it was a Forsaken; Nod thrice if it was a member of the Black Ajah;
> Nod twice and wink once if it was a female Forsaken. Nod twice and
> wink twice if it was a male Forsaken. Wink three times if it was The
> Hand of the Dark; Clap your hands if it was Moiraine returned from
> Finnland..........."
>
> Just keep going with that one until you've covered all the major
> characters, and most of the minor ones.

Aparently this has been asked at recent signings and he has responded
that someone had figured it out before Winter's Heart and will not be
giving any more clues. Personally, I never thought RAFO was a very
helpful clue.

Ross

cyberwollf

Jan 16, 2003, 12:35:17 AM1/16/03

"James Mattravers" <j_matt...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

sniff once if it was bela. tug a braid if it was a heart attack.

cyberwollf

David Chapman

Jan 16, 2003, 5:14:48 AM1/16/03
The Department of Pre-Crime reports that Ross Bertram will say:

In that case, here's a question:

"What conclusion did the person who figured it out draw?"

Or, failing that, "Who are they and where do they live?"

Ross Bertram

Jan 16, 2003, 8:32:32 AM1/16/03

David Chapman wrote:
> The Department of Pre-Crime reports that Ross Bertram will say:

<snippage of who killed the big A>

>>>Just keep going with that one until you've covered all the major
>>>characters, and most of the minor ones.
>>
>>Aparently this has been asked at recent signings and he has responded
>>that someone had figured it out before Winter's Heart and will not be
>>giving any more clues. Personally, I never thought RAFO was a very
>>helpful clue.
>

> In that case, here's a question:
>
> "What conclusion did the person who figured it out draw?"
>
> Or, failing that, "Who are they and where do they live?"

No idea. The link to the signing questions was buried on WOTmania
somewhere. I guess that RJ said that someone had figured it out and
posted it. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he doesn't
know that everyone has been implicated in this thing, from Bela to the
Creator himself.

Ross

Leigh Butler

Jan 16, 2003, 3:05:02 PM1/16/03
On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:59:46 GMT, Ross Bertram
<cy...@rogersTAKEMEOUT.com> wrote:
>James Mattravers wrote:
>
>> "Who killed Asmodean? Really, us readers are awfully distracted by
>> this, and it inhibits our overall enjoyment of your books.

<snip>

>Aparently this has been asked at recent signings and he has responded
>that someone had figured it out before Winter's Heart and will not be
>giving any more clues. Personally, I never thought RAFO was a very
>helpful clue.

Someone actually sent me email about this, but without mentioning the
"before Winter's Heart" part of it.

(I initially thought it was yet another reference to that goddamned
CNN chat where no, people, RJ did NOT admit that Graendal killed
Asmodean, much as you may wish it so, and I'm going to devote a good
couple of paragraphs of the Asmo section to explaining why, so really,
you can stop bringing it up now...)

In any case, if you ask me it's spectacularly non-useful information,
since from TFOH to WH just about every suspect imaginable has been
posted on this group.

Is there anyone out there who was actually at a signing where he said
this? Who maybe can remember specifically what was said?

--
Leigh Butler leigh_...@paramount.com
The opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those

Dave Rothgery

Jan 16, 2003, 8:22:09 PM1/16/03
Leigh Butler <leigh_...@paramount.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003 04:59:46 GMT, Ross Bertram
> <cy...@rogersTAKEMEOUT.com> wrote:
> >James Mattravers wrote:
> >
> >> "Who killed Asmodean? Really, us readers are awfully distracted by
> >> this, and it inhibits our overall enjoyment of your books.
>
> <snip>
> >Aparently this has been asked at recent signings and he has responded
> >that someone had figured it out before Winter's Heart and will not be
> >giving any more clues. Personally, I never thought RAFO was a very
> >helpful clue.
>
> Someone actually sent me email about this, but without mentioning the
> "before Winter's Heart" part of it.
>
> (I initially thought it was yet another reference to that goddamned
> CNN chat where no, people, RJ did NOT admit that Graendal killed
> Asmodean, much as you may wish it so, and I'm going to devote a good
> couple of paragraphs of the Asmo section to explaining why, so really,
> you can stop bringing it up now...)
>
> In any case, if you ask me it's spectacularly non-useful information,
> since from TFOH to WH just about every suspect imaginable has been
> posted on this group.
>
> Is there anyone out there who was actually at a signing where he said
> this? Who maybe can remember specifically what was said?

I think that's dropped into his stock answers; he certainly said
something similar at the San Diego signing last week[1]. When a non-
rasfwrj-ian friend who I ran into at the signing asked me about that, my
response was that since every character who could plausibly have done it
(and some who are quite implausible) has been proposed by hundreds of
different people, of course someone's figured it out correctly by now.

[1] If I go to another signing, I'm showing up early, with a hundred
copies of transcripts from the most recent online chat, and handing them
out. There were all of two questions asked that weren't reruns, and one
was basically a RAFO, while the other was mine. My looney theory on the
Ways was wrong -- despite a 2500 year lag before anything noticeable
happened, the darkening was really a Taint side effect.

--
Dave Rothgery
Picking nits since 1976

James Mattravers

Jan 16, 2003, 8:41:21 PM1/16/03
"cyberwollf" <yau...@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:<v2ch4p8...@corp.supernews.com>...

Oooh!! Oooooh!! Maybe it was the Toadies from dreamland when Rand was
using the Stones. Or maybe Lenn discovered how to Time Travel, and
went to present time, killed Asmodean, then ran off laughing
maniacally. Honestly, If someone has figured it out, and is actually
correct, my hat's off to them. I think we've probably figured it out
somewhere within that monster of a 300+ reply Thread, but we still
don't have confirmation. Which makes me sad.

cyberwollf

Jan 16, 2003, 9:33:52 PM1/16/03

> Oooh!! Oooooh!! Maybe it was the Toadies from dreamland when Rand was
> using the Stones. Or maybe Lenn discovered how to Time Travel, and
> went to present time, killed Asmodean, then ran off laughing
> maniacally. Honestly, If someone has figured it out, and is actually
> correct, my hat's off to them. I think we've probably figured it out
> somewhere within that monster of a 300+ reply Thread, but we still
> don't have confirmation. Which makes me sad.

We shall be in the retirement home, rocking away muttering to ourselves
about Asmo. I know it.

cyberwollf

Dee Kay

Jan 18, 2003, 2:00:05 AM1/18/03
So that's what your question was - I didn't hear it clearly.

What Jordan said, specifically, btw, was this:
Someone figured out who killed Asmodean. Thus, it is possible to do so with
the clues provided, and he doesn't feel the need to provide more.
Further, he refused to in any way indicate who the person with the correct
answer is or how to get in touch with said person.

And I agree, Dave, the questions were pretty useless.

Kean

"Dave Rothgery" <drot...@alum.wpi.edu> wrote in message