Sunday Afternoon in Victoria

1 view

Wilson Christopher H C

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

Well...Sunday afternoon in Victoria saw RJ risking life and
wallet speeding past the photo radar on the Pat. Bay Highway.
That's right...not even the Creator himself can catch the 10
o'clock ferry from Vancouver. Lara never showed up(she must
have overslept).

ObTrix: Silly Lara...hibernation is for bears!

So all alone (Rob didn't show up either), I stood in the huge
line(Way huger than in Vancouver). The line conversation sucked
and the wait grew longer as we were told that RJ would be late.
Finally at 1:20 I saw a familliar face walk throught the door
and head straight for the back room. RJ emerged some minutes
later sans hat and stick and took his place at the signing table.

Soon ('cause I got there so early) it was my turn to confront
the Great L^H^H^H^H^H^H^H Creator and attemp to wrest answers from
him:

Greebs: Hi...umm...could you sign this one to Greebs?

RJ: How do you sp...Do you have a brother in Vancouver?

Greebs: Ahh...Umm...no, that was me [tries to explain]

RJ: [Look of disgust evident on his face] I see.

Greebs: [Thinking he better get to the questions fast]
Umm, we were wondering if you had to take someone
down into the PoD to make them into a Grey Man,
you know, 'cause it seems so similar to mind
trapping someone.

RJ: Yes...at least that's the way I've always thought of
it. It's not easy to remove someone's soul.

Greebs: Cool. We [Notice that I'm trying to create the
impression that there is more than just me there
...saftey in nubers etc.] were also wondering
about the size of the cities...how big is Caemlyn
for instance?

RJ: [Thinking] Let's see...Well Tar Valon is 500,000
people and cities like Caemlyn and Tear are around
300,000 or so. I've envisioned a seventeenth century
society and you've got to remeber that for those times
300,000 would be huge. [I'm noddin and trying to look
intelligent] Some Asian cities of that period had
populations near one million but nothing in Europe
was even close.

Greebs: Yeah...What about the linguistic similarity of
the Old Tongue and the New Tongue? It seems
there is remarkably little drift in the Seanchan
dialect.

RJ: [Either on purpose or by accident misunderstands my
question and gives the standard "Well you must understand
that I've translated the New Tongue into English"
answer.]

At this point the Bolen guy shoos me away. I lurk for a while
but peopple are asking spedly questions [should have printed the
FAQ]. I did learn that in addition to the Card game and computer
game and clothing line there will be a line of museum quality
replica weapons. Someone asked excitedly about the SCA and
RJ said that these would be real weapons since he didn't like
play war [which is understandable]. Then I left.

-Greebs

Lara Beaton

Aug 26, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/26/96

so sayeth 3c...@qlink.queensu.ca (Wilson Christopher H C) :

> Well...Sunday afternoon in Victoria saw RJ risking life and
> wallet speeding past the photo radar on the Pat. Bay Highway.
> That's right...not even the Creator himself can catch the 10
> o'clock ferry from Vancouver. Lara never showed up(she must
> have overslept).

Well, since _someone_ woke me up at the ungodly hour of 10 on
saturday, I needed to get some sleep.

>ObTrix: Silly Lara...hibernation is for bears!

Sorry, dude, but not getting home until 5 a.m. made getting my ass
down to Tsawassen by ten pretty much an impossibility. (besides,
between a three hour round trip to talk to anybody (even RJ) for five
minutes versus riding the rollercoaster at the PNE isn't much of a
choice.)

Lara Beaton
The opinions expressed are not those of Hughes Aircraft or General
Motors, nor are they probably opinions at all.

"Out of Cheese Error. Redo From Start."