Robert Jordan visiting the Netherlands: links to reports.

Aan`allein

Apr 23, 2001, 5:15:57 AM4/23/01
WH spoilers in here. Don't know if warning is still necessary, but just in
case.

A while ago Jordan visited the Netherlands and I was there almost every
appearance he made. Here are the links to the reports I made about that.
There
will probably be quite some things you won't get when you're not present on
the book forum at www.wheeloftime.com (does anyone here even know about the
female dragon debate?) but generally speaking it should be quite interesting
reading. Enjoy.

Day 1, Leiden (the end of the female dragon debate, how Jordan envisions the
cleansing of the Taint, ...)
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97565

Day 2, Amsterdam (he did 97 major revisions for the WH prologue, language
skills are a property of the soul [minor point in the Olver-Cain debate],
...)
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97752

Day 3, Rotterdam (together with Pratchett [awesome to behold], historical vs
fantasy novels, ...)
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97945

Day 4, Fantasy Fair (1) (another female dragon question, his explanation
about
the artwork in the Guide, the computer game, threads and souls, ...)
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98102

Day 5, Fantasy Fair (2) + a chat transcript (lots and lots of small
questions,
plus Asmodean, Taimandred etc, mat's memories, ...)
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98327

One of my friends also had an interview with Jordan (purpose of his writing,
the glossaries, ...)
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98417

I wonder, are any of you using web-based services to post here? If so can
anyone recommend anything? University doesn't allow usenet posting :( and
the
services I find are aweful. Why oh why did Google not leave Deja up and
running until they could offer comparable service?? *sobs*

Brent Hollett

Apr 23, 2001, 6:48:48 AM4/23/01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:15:57 -0400, "Aan`allein"
<aana...@MailAndNews.com> wrote:

>WH spoilers in here. Don't know if warning is still necessary, but just in
>case.
>

>A while ago Jordan visited the Netherlands and I was there almost every
>appearance he made. Here are the links to the reports I made about that.
>There
>will probably be quite some things you won't get when you're not present on
>the book forum at www.wheeloftime.com (does anyone here even know about the
>female dragon debate?) but generally speaking it should be quite interesting
>reading. Enjoy.
>
>Day 1, Leiden (the end of the female dragon debate, how Jordan envisions the
>cleansing of the Taint, ...)
>http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=97565

Interesting quote in here from Jordan, that should clear up the Sammel
question

Quote:
Yes, Sammael is really dead [, and so is Asmodean. Asmodean's killer
should be] intuitively obvious to the most casual observer. [He won't
answer who it was, but he has] been trying to sprinkle around a few
more clues, but I refuse to put up big neon signs saying 'here!'
[sprinkling clues could point to Slayer, although the WH evidence (if
that would be that) would be more like a neon sign, so I think this
actually points to Graendal or another similar candidate. Have there
been minor points pointing towards anyone in WH?]
EndQuote:

I'm not sure if it's been confirmed before but since I hadn't seen it,
I thought I'd post it here.

Brent Hollett
E-mail: per...@techie.com
ICQ: 4736279

Andreas Larsson

Apr 23, 2001, 7:05:28 AM4/23/01

Aan`allein wrote in message <3B09...@MailAndNews.com>...

>WH spoilers in here. Don't know if warning is still necessary, but just in
>case.
>

>A while ago Jordan visited the Netherlands and I was there almost every
>appearance he made. Here are the links to the reports I made about that.
>There
>will probably be quite some things you won't get when you're not present on
>the book forum at www.wheeloftime.com (does anyone here even know about the
>female dragon debate?) but generally speaking it should be quite
interesting
>reading. Enjoy.

I did enjoy it Avi! Nice work... I don't know If I'd have taken the time to
write it all down and it's impressive.

Hail the ,

and so on

/Ogma

T Sean Connolly

Apr 23, 2001, 6:01:11 PM4/23/01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:15:57 -0400, "Aan`allein"
<aana...@MailAndNews.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Day 4, Fantasy Fair (1) (another female dragon question, his explanation
>about
>the artwork in the Guide, the computer game, threads and souls, ...)
>http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98102

<snip>

Jordan's quote:

"The artist was then asked to do five times as many drawings, in
color, instead of in black and white for the same amount of money"

At last we find out why the drawing in the Guide are so completely
pants.
--
T Sean Connolly tsean.connolly @ btinternet.com

T Sean Connolly

Apr 23, 2001, 6:21:14 PM4/23/01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 05:15:57 -0400, "Aan`allein"
<aana...@MailAndNews.com> wrote:

<snip>

>Day 5, Fantasy Fair (2) + a chat transcript (lots and lots of small

>questions,
>plus Asmodean, Taimandred etc, mat's memories, ...)
>http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98327

<snip>

I just wish I had been there to witness this:

===
Then he looked very closely at the card I had him sign...
me: It's supposed to be Graendal.
J: Yeah, well, it is.. I just never knew that Graendal had
nipple-rings, that's all. Now for once, it's just a thing I hadn't
realized about a character in my book, that's all.
===

Absolutely priceless. It's a good job I wasn't drinking my coffee
when I read this.

Dave Rothgery

Apr 23, 2001, 5:57:44 PM4/23/01
T Sean Connolly <tsean.c...@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote:
> Jordan's quote:
>
> "The artist was then asked to do five times as many drawings, in
> color, instead of in black and white for the same amount of money"
>
> At last we find out why the drawing in the Guide are so completely
> pants.

Exactly when did they start using pants as an adjective on the wrong
side of the pond, and is it too late to shoot whoever started it?

--
Dave Rothgery
Picking nits since 1976

Clive

Apr 24, 2001, 6:54:27 AM4/24/01
On Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:57:44 GMT, Dave Rothgery
<drot...@myrealbox.com> wrote:

>T Sean Connolly <tsean.c...@nospam.btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Jordan's quote:
>>
>> "The artist was then asked to do five times as many drawings, in
>> color, instead of in black and white for the same amount of money"
>>
>> At last we find out why the drawing in the Guide are so completely
>> pants.
>
>Exactly when did they start using pants as an adjective on the wrong
>side of the pond, and is it too late to shoot whoever started it?

Roughly a decade ago. It was Dominic Diamond who made it popular, and
please, feel free to shoot him. Or club him to death. Or just take him
away. (Not that I've seen or heard of him for a couple of years, but
better safe than sorry).

Clive
--
Clive
"Black holes are where god divides by zero." -- Unknown

Aan`allein

Apr 24, 2001, 3:10:58 PM4/24/01
Andreas Larsson wrote:

> Aan`allein wrote in message <3B09...@MailAndNews.com>...
> >WH spoilers in here. Don't know if warning is still necessary, but just in
> >case.
<snip>

> but generally speaking it should be quite
> interesting
> >reading. Enjoy.
>
> I did enjoy it Avi! Nice work... I don't know If I'd have taken the time to
> write it all down and it's impressive.
>
> Hail the ,
>
> and so on
>
> /Ogma

Ogma, man, long time no see! Whatcha doing here?

Glad you liked it, I can tell you, it was one hell of a job writing it.
But it was definitely worth writing and all good. :)

*bows down in worship of the Great Comma who is also the Divine Bela*

May you always find shade and water,
Aan`allein

now let's see how this comes out.

Aan`allein

Apr 24, 2001, 3:24:24 PM4/24/01
T Sean Connolly wrote:

<snip>

> J: Yeah, well, it is.. I just never knew that Graendal had
> nipple-rings, that's all. Now for once, it's just a thing I hadn't
> realized about a character in my book, that's all.
> ===
>
> Absolutely priceless. It's a good job I wasn't drinking my coffee
> when I read this.

Oh yes, that was so marvelous. Remarkable what things he notices,
though. I'd never seen that before about that card. :)

'course, now Jordan really _has_ to write the nipple-rings into the
series. Maybe a scene where we see something abotu a Forsaken without
ever learning which Forsaken that is, and then a mention of nipple-rings
as our only clue...

Okay, so maybe not, but it would be great to read and know where it came
from. :)

May you always find shade and water,
Aan`allein

P.S. before anyone remarks, I am fully aware of the fact that the
regular Aiel greeting is water and shade.

Pat O'Connell

Apr 24, 2001, 11:00:55 PM4/24/01
Aan`allein wrote:

> T Sean Connolly wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > J: Yeah, well, it is.. I just never knew that Graendal had
> > nipple-rings, that's all. Now for once, it's just a thing I hadn't
> > realized about a character in my book, that's all.
> > ===
> >
> > Absolutely priceless. It's a good job I wasn't drinking my coffee
> > when I read this.
>
> Oh yes, that was so marvelous. Remarkable what things he notices,
> though. I'd never seen that before about that card. :)
>
> 'course, now Jordan really _has_ to write the nipple-rings into the
> series. Maybe a scene where we see something abotu a Forsaken without
> ever learning which Forsaken that is, and then a mention of nipple-rings
> as our only clue...
>
> Okay, so maybe not, but it would be great to read and know where it came
> from. :)

You can hope.

BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings? We
met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.

--
Pat O'Connell
Take nothing but pictures, Leave nothing but footprints,

Oleg Ozerov

Apr 25, 2001, 3:29:00 AM4/25/01

"Aan`allein" <aana...@MailAndNews.com> transcribed RJ chat in:
> http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98327

>[Malivar> If a Fades blade will not produce lighting except against other
Thakandar wrought blades, and >power-wrought blades, Why do Thom's daggers
produce it when he attacks the Fade at Whitebridge?
>[@R-JORDAN> thoms daggers did not produce the effect. It was produced
before thom reached the fade.

Am I missing something here? Who or what was there to produce the effect?
Either this is huge or I've lost my mind.

--
O.

Stijn Ver Eecke

Apr 25, 2001, 7:52:28 AM4/25/01

finally some clue : Amsodeans murderer is a he :
http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98327

Q: *finally managing to get the entire question asked* Just using the
first five books, is the answer also intuitively obvious?
A: I
<snip>
do? Caper around with a sign saying 'Here! Here! There he is, see?'

<snip>

Dylan Verheul

Apr 25, 2001, 9:38:44 AM4/25/01
On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 13:52:28 +0200, Stijn Ver Eecke <st...@cac.be>
wrote:

>finally some clue : Amsodeans murderer is a he :
> http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98327

8< RJ, speaking about revealing Asm's murderer >8

> Caper around with a sign saying 'Here! Here! There he is, see?'

Not as powerful as when he would have said "There she is", but it's
something. Almost as interesting as the sparks from the Myrddraal's
sword that were caused by something other than Thom Merrilin.

Interesting times. He should visit Holland more often.

Life would be much easier if I had the source code.

Aurelien

Apr 25, 2001, 9:40:28 AM4/25/01
Wonderful report.

Well, I have been really disappointed about the WotC RPG topic. RJ said
that he just received a table of contents. Ouch.

_ Either the WotC guys are really *late*

_ Or they want to produce something, send a copy to RJ and ask for his
signature. That would NOT do!! In this case, I hope that RJ's contract
is of the same sort than for the video game, that is, that he has the
possibility to say, "I don't like this stuff. Here's your money, and
forget it".

I hoped that he was involved in some way, or rather that the game
designers had asked him lot of questions. In this RPG, there will
necessarily be a lot of details about how things works in Randland, and
the OP, Fades, Warders, and so on, in order to desccribe all of this in
terms of game mechanics. If it's just some bad adaptation of D&D...
sigh...

Cheers

Sydo Zandstra

Apr 25, 2001, 2:25:59 PM4/25/01

Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote in message

> Aan`allein wrote:
> >
> > T Sean Connolly wrote:

<snip nipplerings>

> BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings? We
> met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.

How nice to be remembered... *grin*, hi Pat!

Yes, I managed to be present at one of the sessions at the Fantasy Fair
(on Saturday), although I must say I actually went there to see and hear
Terry Pratchett. RJ's presence being a welcome bonus to me, I let him
sign four of my hardcovers and asked him a couple of questions. Most of
those have already been covered by the original poster, but one of them
might be of some interest to some people here, so I might as well throw
it in right now. (I wanted to post this earlier, but somehow it has
slipped my mind)

In one or two threads I have been wondering for a while why Erian
Boroleos (Green) wasn't assigned to one of the circles that were
defending Rand while he and Nynaeve were cleansing saidin. (See Pam's WH
notes for the details; IIRC it has been placed under the header
'possible screw-ups') So I asked RJ when I had the chance:

Me: "Could you tell me if Erian was present in the battle near Shadar
Logoth, when Rand was cleansing saidin?"
RJ, looking up: "Who?"
Me: "Erian, one of the captured Green sisters who swore fealty to Rand.
Did she take part in the battle, or was she somewhere else?"
RJ: "Oh. Yes, she was there. RAFO".

This could either mean that Erian did something special that we don't
know about, or that RJ forgot about her while writing the last chapters.
OTOH, possibly RJ thought I meant Elsa (who was definitely there).
Perhaps Erian wasn't there but went to Tear with Alanna instead. I guess
we'll find out in a year or so...

--
Sydo Zandstra

Aan`allein

Apr 25, 2001, 2:33:44 PM4/25/01
Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote in article
<3AE63DE7...@nmia.com> :
<snip>

>BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings? We
>met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.

Hmm, I recognize Darfriend Social in there, but LV?? *ponders*

anyway, although I know quite some dutch WoT fans, his name doesn't sound familiar. sowwy.

May you always find shade and water,
Aan`allein

Submitted via WebNewsReader of http://www.interbulletin.com

Dave Rothgery

Apr 25, 2001, 4:03:33 PM4/25/01
Aan`allein <donot...@interbulletin.bogus> wrote:
> Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote in article
> <3AE63DE7...@nmia.com> :
> <snip>
> >BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings? We
> >met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.
> >

> Hmm, I recognize Darfriend Social in there, but LV?? *ponders*

Las Vegas.
The first (inter)national DFS, back in 1999.
The second (inter)national DFS was the MilLoynium, in Inianapolis,
12/30/2000 - 1/2/2001.

Maggie

Apr 25, 2001, 3:40:06 PM4/25/01
Aan`allein <donot...@interbulletin.bogus> quietly murmured:

> Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote in article
> <3AE63DE7...@nmia.com> :
> <snip>
> >BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings? We
> >met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.
> >

> Hmm, I recognize Darfriend Social in there, but LV?? *ponders*

Las Vegas.

You can find pics and reports from this Social, including a pic of Sydo,
here:

http://www.chocolatefiends.com/princessmoo/NDFS/ndfs.html

--
Maggie UIN 10248195 http://www.chocolatefiends.com
"Shadow found himself thinking about a garage in San Clemente with box

Pat O'Connell

Apr 25, 2001, 8:56:09 PM4/25/01
Sydo Zandstra wrote:

> Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote in message
> > Aan`allein wrote:
> > >
> > > T Sean Connolly wrote:
> > > >

> <snip nipplerings>
>

> > BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings? We
> > met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.
> >

> How nice to be remembered... *grin*, hi Pat!

Hey, Sydo! Out of lurk mode again, I see!

> Yes, I managed to be present at one of the sessions at the Fantasy Fair
> (on Saturday), although I must say I actually went there to see and hear
> Terry Pratchett. RJ's presence being a welcome bonus to me, I let him
> sign four of my hardcovers and asked him a couple of questions. Most of
> those have already been covered by the original poster, but one of them
> might be of some interest to some people here, so I might as well throw
> it in right now. (I wanted to post this earlier, but somehow it has
> slipped my mind)

Speaking of having things slip your mind, wait till you're older!

> In one or two threads I have been wondering for a while why Erian
> Boroleos (Green) wasn't assigned to one of the circles that were
> defending Rand while he and Nynaeve were cleansing saidin. (See Pam's WH
> notes for the details; IIRC it has been placed under the header
> 'possible screw-ups') So I asked RJ when I had the chance:
>
> Me: "Could you tell me if Erian was present in the battle near Shadar
> Logoth, when Rand was cleansing saidin?"
> RJ, looking up: "Who?"
> Me: "Erian, one of the captured Green sisters who swore fealty to Rand.
> Did she take part in the battle, or was she somewhere else?"
> RJ: "Oh. Yes, she was there. RAFO".
>
> This could either mean that Erian did something special that we don't
> know about, or that RJ forgot about her while writing the last chapters.
> OTOH, possibly RJ thought I meant Elsa (who was definitely there).
> Perhaps Erian wasn't there but went to Tear with Alanna instead. I guess
> we'll find out in a year or so...

Or maybe we won't. Keep in mind that RAFOs are sometimes minor plot
threads left to twist slowly in the wind...

Kate Nepveu

Apr 25, 2001, 9:02:43 PM4/25/01
Aan`allein (aana...@MailAndNews.com) wrote:

> I wonder, are any of you using web-based services to post here? If so can
> anyone recommend anything? University doesn't allow usenet posting :( and
> the
> services I find are aweful. Why oh why did Google not leave Deja up and
> running until they could offer comparable service?? *sobs*

I'm not, but it's not Google's fault--Deja was going down, and it wasn't
their hardware or service they bought, just the archives.

(Be nice to Google! They do good work, and I'm sure their interface is
going to kick ass over Deja's.)

Kate
--
http://www.steelypips.org/elsewhere.html -- Paired Reading Page; Reviews
"I wouldn't be satisfied with a life lived solely on the barricades. I

Sydo Zandstra

Apr 26, 2001, 11:35:36 AM4/26/01

Aan`allein <donot...@interbulletin.bogus> wrote in message

> Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote in article
> <3AE63DE7...@nmia.com> :
> <snip>
> >BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings? We
> >met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.
> >

> Hmm, I recognize Darfriend Social in there, but LV?? *ponders*
>
> anyway, although I know quite some dutch WoT fans, his name doesn't
sound familiar. sowwy.

FWIW, I was sitting in the front row, about two chairs to your right.
(Fantasy Fair, Saturday)
--
Sydo Zandstra

Sydo Zandstra

Apr 26, 2001, 12:20:52 PM4/26/01

> Sydo Zandstra wrote:
> >
> > Pat O'Connell <pa...@nmia.com> wrote in message

> > <snip nipplerings>
> >

> > > BTW, did Sydo Zandstra (spelling?) show up at any of the signings?
We
> > > met him at the LVDFS a couple of years ago.
> > >

> > How nice to be remembered... *grin*, hi Pat!
>
> Hey, Sydo! Out of lurk mode again, I see!

Yes. I haven't been really gone, but I don't post that often anymore; I
still read rawsf-r-j at least once a week. (When you have to look at a
computer screen most of the day, you're less enthousiastic about
continuing to do so in your own time.)

> > Yes, I managed to be present at one of the sessions at the Fantasy
Fair
> > (on Saturday), although I must say I actually went there to see and
hear
> > Terry Pratchett. RJ's presence being a welcome bonus to me, I let
him
> > sign four of my hardcovers and asked him a couple of questions. Most
of
> > those have already been covered by the original poster, but one of
them
> > might be of some interest to some people here, so I might as well
throw
> > it in right now. (I wanted to post this earlier, but somehow it has
> > slipped my mind)
>
> Speaking of having things slip your mind, wait till you're older!

You mean it'll get worse? Thanks, Pat, for reassuring me. *g*

<snip RJ saying Erian was at Shadar Logoth>

> > This could either mean that Erian did something special that we
don't
> > know about, or that RJ forgot about her while writing the last
chapters.
> > OTOH, possibly RJ thought I meant Elsa (who was definitely there).
> > Perhaps Erian wasn't there but went to Tear with Alanna instead. I
guess
> > we'll find out in a year or so...
>
> Or maybe we won't. Keep in mind that RAFOs are sometimes minor plot
> threads left to twist slowly in the wind...

Good point, but if he wants to use this character in one of the next
books, he'd better give a good reason for her being around SL and not
assisting in any kind.
--
Sydo Zandstra
P.S. Say hi to Karen..

Anne Willick

Apr 26, 2001, 9:33:59 PM4/26/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 16:20:52 GMT, Sydo Zandstra said...

> I don't post that often anymore; I
> still read rawsf-r-j at least once a week. (When you have to look at a
> computer screen most of the day, you're less enthousiastic about
> continuing to do so in your own time.)

Hm. Either MV, or I really do need to get a life, as has been suggested.
Anyone know where I can find one of those things?

Aaack.

--
Anne

Mike Kozlowski

Apr 26, 2001, 10:54:43 PM4/26/01
In article <MPG.155296435...@news.mw.mediaone.net>,

My working theory has been that if you stare at a monitor for upwards of
16 hours a day, the CRT will eventually emit enough radiation that you'll
go insane -- thus enabling you have to have an active social life without
needing the participation of anyone else.

So far, I've got a mild weasel fixation and a tendency to mutter
irritably. I'm pretty pleased with my progress.

--
Mike Kozlowski
http://www.klio.org/mlk/

John S. Novak, III

Apr 26, 2001, 11:03:25 PM4/26/01
On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:54:43 -0500, Mike Kozlowski <m...@klio.org> wrote:

>My working theory has been that if you stare at a monitor for upwards of
>16 hours a day, the CRT will eventually emit enough radiation that you'll
>go insane -- thus enabling you have to have an active social life without
>needing the participation of anyone else.

Rubbish.
I've been doing that for upwards of ten years, and I'm just fine.

--
John S. Novak, III j...@concentric.net
The Humblest Man on the Net

Anne Willick

Apr 29, 2001, 6:25:33 PM4/29/01
On 27 Apr 2001 03:03:25 GMT, John S. Novak, III said...

> On Thu, 26 Apr 2001 21:54:43 -0500, Mike Kozlowski <m...@klio.org> wrote:
>
> >My working theory has been that if you stare at a monitor for upwards of
> >16 hours a day, the CRT will eventually emit enough radiation that you'll
> >go insane -- thus enabling you have to have an active social life without
> >needing the participation of anyone else.
>
> Rubbish.
> I've been doing that for upwards of ten years, and I'm just fine.

Look at that, Mike! It works!

--
Anne

John S. Novak, III

Apr 29, 2001, 6:35:55 PM4/29/01
On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:25:33 GMT, Anne Willick
<bwil...@NOmediaSPAMone.net> wrote:
>On 27 Apr 2001 03:03:25 GMT, John S. Novak, III said...

>> Rubbish.

>> I've been doing that for upwards of ten years, and I'm just fine.

>Look at that, Mike! It works!

I cannot express the disappointment I feel with the group, that it
took this long tog et a response of that nature.

Anne Willick

Apr 29, 2001, 6:43:04 PM4/29/01
On 29 Apr 2001 22:35:55 GMT, John S. Novak, III said...

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:25:33 GMT, Anne Willick
> <bwil...@NOmediaSPAMone.net> wrote:
> >On 27 Apr 2001 03:03:25 GMT, John S. Novak, III said...
>
> >> Rubbish.
> >> I've been doing that for upwards of ten years, and I'm just fine.
>
> >Look at that, Mike! It works!
>
> I cannot express the disappointment I feel with the group, that it
> took this long tog et a response of that nature.

I plead being gone for the weekend. But you're right, there's no excuse
to let a line like that go unused. Shame on you all.

--
Anne

Mark Loy

Apr 30, 2001, 12:20:25 PM4/30/01
In article <slrn9ep64...@ts030d23.chi-il.concentric.net>,
j...@concentric.net wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 22:25:33 GMT, Anne Willick
> <bwil...@NOmediaSPAMone.net> wrote:
> >On 27 Apr 2001 03:03:25 GMT, John S. Novak, III said...
>
> >> Rubbish.
> >> I've been doing that for upwards of ten years, and I'm just fine.
>
> >Look at that, Mike! It works!
>
> I cannot express the disappointment I feel with the group, that it
> took this long tog et a response of that nature.

Shit.

I'm just gonna go home and crawl up into the Novak Recliner and whimper
myself into a stupor of self-loathing and remorse.

ML

--
"There should be some sort of '12 strikes,
you're out' law put in to trap that

Adam Benedict Canning

May 1, 2001, 7:27:44 PM5/1/01

Rand instinctively channeling indirect fire Lightning bolts is a
possibility which accounts for the fires reported latter.

Or there is another power wrought sword present...

Adam

Adam Benedict Canning

May 1, 2001, 7:30:49 PM5/1/01
On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:40:28 +0200, Aurelien <th...@iap.fr> wrote:

>Wonderful report.
>
>Well, I have been really disappointed about the WotC RPG topic. RJ said
>that he just received a table of contents. Ouch.
>
>_ Either the WotC guys are really *late*

Late they are it got put back to november from april, and there have
been conflicting stories about when the playtest Starts/finishes.

>_ Or they want to produce something, send a copy to RJ and ask for his
>signature. That would NOT do!! In this case, I hope that RJ's contract
>is of the same sort than for the video game, that is, that he has the
>possibility to say, "I don't like this stuff. Here's your money, and
>forget it".

It would be interesting to see that happen.

>I hoped that he was involved in some way, or rather that the game
>designers had asked him lot of questions. In this RPG, there will
>necessarily be a lot of details about how things works in Randland, and
>the OP, Fades, Warders, and so on, in order to desccribe all of this in
>terms of game mechanics. If it's just some bad adaptation of D&D...
>sigh...

Its a d20 system game and Aes Sedai and Ashaman are character classes
[Wilder and Aiel wise One are supposed to be the other channeling
classes]

But thats all I know at the moment.

Adam

Aaron F. Bourque

May 1, 2001, 7:39:36 PM5/1/01
From: da...@compuserve.com (Adam Benedict Canning)

>On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:40:28 +0200, Aurelien <th...@iap.fr> wrote:
>
>>Wonderful report.
>>
>>Well, I have been really disappointed about the WotC RPG topic. RJ
>>said that he just received a table of contents. Ouch.
>>
>>_ Either the WotC guys are really *late*
>
>Late they are it got put back to november from april, and there have
>been conflicting stories about when the playtest Starts/finishes.

A similar complaint about the Star Wars D20 game recently got posted on
the official SWD20 list. The gist of the Star Wars problem was that just
about every release this year was delayed; the gist of the reply is that what
with the lay-offs earlier this year (or late last year; whatever) and the small
size of their development team means that, yes, there were delays.

There are similar difficulties with the WoT team, most likely.

Aaron "The Mad Whitaker" Bourque

--
"If you don't know concentration, which gives you peculiar pleasure, your life
looks like hell."--Hiroyuki Nishigaki

Oleg Ozerov

May 2, 2001, 1:51:50 AM5/2/01

"Adam Benedict Canning" <da...@compuserve.com> wrote

I think all of Rand's channelling in TEOTW is accounted for via his
post-channelling syndrom occurrences. This is not one of those cases.
Besides, Rand's subconscious channelling was always effective against
whatever the target was. Not so in this case. Most terrifyingly, it can
reinvigorate the 'Can Thom channel?' debate.

> Or there is another power wrought sword present...

This implies a sword-bearer. Who?

BTW, can this have something to do with Fain? It seems possible that this
was a now Fain-controlled Myrdraal - this was after Shadar Logoth.

--
O.

Brent Hollett

May 2, 2001, 8:13:05 AM5/2/01
On Wed, 02 May 2001 05:51:50 GMT, "Oleg Ozerov"
<Ozzypti...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>"Adam Benedict Canning" <da...@compuserve.com> wrote
>
>> On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:29:00 GMT, "Oleg Ozerov"
>> <Ozzypti...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> >"Aan`allein" <aana...@MailAndNews.com> transcribed RJ chat in:

<snip>

>> Or there is another power wrought sword present...
>
>This implies a sword-bearer. Who?

<snip>

Er... um didn't RAND have one. His father gave it to him.....

Brent Hollett
E-mail: per...@techie.com
ICQ: 4736279

John S. Novak, III

May 2, 2001, 7:44:13 PM5/2/01
On Wed, 02 May 2001 12:13:05 GMT, Brent Hollett <per...@techie.com> wrote:

>>> Or there is another power wrought sword present...
>>This implies a sword-bearer. Who?

>Er... um didn't RAND have one. His father gave it to him.....

Er, um, it obviously wasn't Rand who caused that blue flash.

Brent Hollett

May 3, 2001, 5:04:16 AM5/3/01
On 2 May 2001 23:44:13 GMT, j...@concentric.net (John S. Novak, III)
wrote:

But it was present. Who says what the proximity is, whether it's
actually contact or not. (BTW I don't think it caused but I'm simply
responding to the "wrought sword present" statement as there was a
power wrought sword *present*)

John S. Novak, III

May 3, 2001, 9:04:06 AM5/3/01
On Thu, 03 May 2001 09:04:16 GMT, Brent Hollett <per...@techie.com> wrote:

>>>Er... um didn't RAND have one. His father gave it to him.....
>>Er, um, it obviously wasn't Rand who caused that blue flash.

>But it was present. Who says what the proximity is, whether it's
>actually contact or not.

It's obviously contact, if you read the fight appraoching Shadar
Logoth early in tEotW. Sheesh.

> (BTW I don't think it caused but I'm simply
>responding to the "wrought sword present" statement as there was a
>power wrought sword *present*)

There's nitpicking, and there's idiocy through failure to recognize
context and the obvious. This is the latter.

Adam Benedict Canning

May 4, 2001, 2:04:02 PM5/4/01
On 01 May 2001 23:39:36 GMT, aaronb...@aol.comstat (Aaron F.
Bourque) wrote:

>From: da...@compuserve.com (Adam Benedict Canning)
>
>>On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 15:40:28 +0200, Aurelien <th...@iap.fr> wrote:
>>
>>>Wonderful report.
>>>
>>>Well, I have been really disappointed about the WotC RPG topic. RJ
>>>said that he just received a table of contents. Ouch.
>>>
>>>_ Either the WotC guys are really *late*
>>
>>Late they are it got put back to november from april, and there have
>>been conflicting stories about when the playtest Starts/finishes.
>
>A similar complaint about the Star Wars D20 game recently got posted on
>the official SWD20 list. The gist of the Star Wars problem was that just
>about every release this year was delayed; the gist of the reply is that what
>with the lay-offs earlier this year (or late last year; whatever) and the small
>size of their development team means that, yes, there were delays.
>
>There are similar difficulties with the WoT team, most likely.

The problem with WoT has been going on for longer. Back at Winter
Fantasy last november one of the UK RPGA people was told that the
playtest was over by the playtest organiser and that it hadn't started
by one of the development team [unless it was the other way round]

That was before the layoffs.

Suffice to say the UK RPGA Secretary [who should know what playtests
are going on] can't find out its status

Adam

Aaron F. Bourque

May 4, 2001, 3:41:14 PM5/4/01
From: da...@compuserve.com (Adam Benedict Canning)

>The problem with WoT has been going on for longer.

It has?

>Back at Winter Fantasy last november one of the UK RPGA people
>was told that the playtest was over by the playtest organiser and that
>it hadn't started by one of the development team [unless it was the
>other way round]

Heh; that sounds about right.

>That was before the layoffs.

The layoffs are only part of it. The size of the development team is
another important factor. There were three writers for the Star Wars
core rulebook, and four others aided in its design (some of whom
were probably freelancers). That's seven people for a property
that--let's face it, could concievably be huge, and definitely has
greater market penetration than WoT. By contrast, the core D&D
books had at least ten guys behind 'em. All before the layoffs.

I have no idea what their sizes are now, but D&D, WotC's cash cow,
is still probably the largest.

Oleg Ozerov

May 7, 2001, 7:30:36 PM5/7/01

"Oleg Ozerov" <Ozzypti...@worldnet.att.net> wrote

> "Aan`allein" <aana...@MailAndNews.com> transcribed RJ chat in:
> > http://ina-community.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=98327
>
> >[Malivar> If a Fades blade will not produce lighting except against other
> Thakandar wrought blades, and >power-wrought blades, Why do Thom's daggers
> produce it when he attacks the Fade at Whitebridge?
> >[@R-JORDAN> thoms daggers did not produce the effect. It was produced
> before thom reached the fade.
>
> Am I missing something here? Who or what was there to produce the effect?
> Either this is huge or I've lost my mind.

Or RJ did. The flash occurs _after_ Thom reaches the Fade. TEOTW, ch. 26,
p/b p.398-9 (couple of pages from the end of chapter):

[...Thom crashed into the Myrdraal before the black blade was half drawn,
and both went down in a thrashing heap. The few people still in the square
fled.
"RUN!" The air in the square flashed an eye-searing blue, and Thom began
to scream, but even in the middle of the scream he managed a word. "RUN!"]

And, of course, the black blade was only half-drawn. Puzzling.

--
O.