Jordan Answers Part 1 (atlanta signings)

er...@cc.gatech.edu

Oct 17, 1994, 11:00:09 PM10/17/94
No spoilers.

Heights:
Rand 6'6". Perrin 6'2". Mat 5'11.5". Aviendha 5'8-5'9.
Elayne 5'6". Nynaeve 5'4". Egwene 5'2". Moiraine 5'0-5'2.
Easing the Badger: An in joke between RJ and Wife. "A ceremony"
Chicago: "In Chicago, the bookstores were recommending Hotels. They doubled
their book order."
Covers: Rand originally had DKS's build. Finally he's tall enough. The
monkey girl is Egwene. "They're fine." (the covers)
World Design: about 10 years before writing commenced. Stopped being
a nuclear engineer to write.
Tam and Rand: Originally same character--the soldier comes home to a small
town. He is *not* Farstrider. He is a blademaster and second captain
in Illyan.
Red Ajah: not all lesbians--just manhaters. RJ knows non-manhating
lesbians. Not based at all on Agnes Scott girls. Based on some
girls he knew as a child.
All women in Randland--based on his wife. "Does she tug her hair?"
"No. Mine."

Verin: "I don't know what she'd drink but I drink very strong coffee
in the morning and tea in the afternoon and evenings." (A description
of exactly how strong the coffee is followed.
Girl at Citadel: "She is a liar. She & the guidance counseler deliberately
whited out all references to her gender." (Followed by about 10 minutes
of impassioned talk about how running in combat boots saved his life
in vietnam--facinating, touching and irreproducible.)
Sniffs and Snorts--you have to decide which sounds sound like what. "Suian
snorts". (why do women sniff and men snort)
How many books--"I don't know. 2 maybe 3 maybe 4. I know the last scene.
But after I write the last scene that is all there is for these
characters." (No Eddings sequels) "Maybe a series in another age."
What other books--"More books planned than I have years to write them."
Language--It is planned. Based on Russian, Chinese and a bit of spanish
with a lot of Gaelic thrown in.
Cultures of influence--he's real big on chinese history right now.
Why the swords--As in japan, gunpowder is supressed so martial arts are
developed and are based on the sword and on agricultural implements.
When did you start reading--4. Started with Letters of Thomas Jefferson
and Forever Amber. After, when he got a library card, he found the
children's section extremely limiting.
Will we see Jain Farstrider? -- read the books. If he's not seen by the
last page, he's not in there.
The dagger--could mat have chosen any thing else? Yes, but he wouldn't
be mat then, would he? A dagger would attract him more than a
chalice or whatever. Its easy to stick it in the belt.
Is Bela Ta'veren?--he quoted John Novak's darkfriend social scene. (He
called it the "darkfriend social". He got the name from judy)
Do you get to keep your frequent flier miles on this tour? Yes. & he's
going to sweden next year for the swedish sci fi convention.
Are the sword forms based on reality? -- sort of based on Tai Kwon do and
Karate--but from books, not experience.
Isn't LoC half of a book--yes. He wanted to experiment. There's something
else which is experimental, but he won't say what.
What is the world called? Earth.
What about RandLand? Chuckle.
Why did Mat's battle happen off screen--that's the way battles really
happen. You don't actually see anything happen from the point of
view its all a matter of waiting and trying not to die.
What's the title of the next book--haven't decided.
Is the "Binding like criminals" meant to be using the oath rod?--no
comment.

Unasked but may be answerable by his rules:

1. When Morgase thought "two beautiful children", was
she thinking of Gawyn and Elayne or Gawyn and Galad?
2. Was the Verin "Moiraine sent me"/"I did not send her"
incident a mistake or plot device?
3. Why did Ishmael split in two at the end of TDR?
4. Who was Kari Al'thor? And what did it mean to be second
captain in Illian?
5. Is Egwene the reincarnation of Eldrene of Manatherin? And
is Eldrene's veil significant?
6. Is Lews Therin Beidomon?
7. Is there organized religion in Randland?
8. What did your readers guess that you thought they'd never
pick up on because you thought it was too subtle?
--
===========================ERICA SADUN================================
Grep foo whilst ye may, oh daemons of the Spring...

Piglet

Oct 18, 1994, 10:49:03 PM10/18/94
In article <37vdnp$b...@terminus.cc.gatech.edu>, <er...@cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
>No spoilers.

>Easing the Badger: An in joke between RJ and Wife. "A ceremony"

Oh, someone PLEASE ask what The Nine Horse Hitch is. I'm not asking.
It made Min or Siuan blush when then found out, so I'm not asking,
but I'm really curious.

Judy G.
--
Judy Ghirardelli || Love is Always , Me is Life
ju...@ren.psy.jhu.edu || Forever is just another Smile