Brisbane signing (quick summary!)

Jeff Haas

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
In article <37E63EEE...@mail.flashmail.com>, Joel Gilmore
<drago...@mail.flashmail.com> wrote:

<signing report>

Is this going to be posted on the Web somewhere (hopefully in a somewhat
more polished form :) )?

> We found out his favourite authors.

Now I'm curious. Who are they? Eddings? Goodkind? Terry Brooks? Dr. Suess?

--
Jeff Haas ICQ: 7401612 Go Big Red!
"If you hear any strange sounds, you might want to jump out a window."

Pointer

Sep 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/20/99
Joel Gilmore wrote:
[snip RJ interview]

Any chance you could convert your recording into wav. or MP3 format
and post it? If it's too big, how about just his pronunciations?
Assuming
of course that that's legal and all

Pointer.

Joel Gilmore

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
Ok, it's almost midnight, and I've got to get up in about 6 hours, so
I'll keep this really short. Skip the next two paragraphs if you just
want the questions.
Only one other person from the newsgroup was there, namely Willum, which
I managed to recognise, and we got together with one of my other friends
for a small dfs afterwards. Anyway...
I did take a tape recorder, and taped the talk, though I didn't ask
permission. And contrary to what I thought listening to it after we
left (what you heard Willum) the tape is pretty good quality. He read
the first bit of Book 8 (about the Ages come to pass and the wind etc)
and that came out very well.
Ok, now the really important bit: the questions!!!
Ok, first and foremost we have an answer to the balefire-balefire
paradox. If A bfs B, then C bfs A, B WILL come back alive again. I
explored this quite thoroughly with him, getting him to repeat himself
more than once. It is definite. It is over.
The shimmering thing with Ishy in the EotW prologue was because of a
True Power gateway!
The vanishing thing that Lanfear does at the end of book 2 is in fact
her just walking out the door. Nothing more.
I asked about Ishy's bit in the book 8 prologue, but got to RAFOs so we
won't know whether it is set before hand, or (the first question I
asked) if all the 9 mentioned were all Forsaken.
We found out his favourite authors. Yes, there is a cardgame on the
way, similar to Magic: the Gathering. At least three more books...He's
dissapointed about our failure to find who killed asmo...A couple of
other stories...There was a drunk guy there who kept interrupting and
shouting (almost abusing) RJ (Aggghhh!!!)
I forgot to ask about Rahvin,Rand and the fish, but I'm seeing him again
tomorrow :) so I'll ask him then.
We stayed right till the end, and left with him, going down in the lift
together and everything. I found him a really nice guy, and very
friendly.
Oh, and I re-asked the question about the shadow controlling one of the
horn or the banner, and he said that the heros would have to follow the
horn (I think. I don't have this on tape, so...But he didn't say
anything about a rift, which was what I'd heard someone say he said
before?)
Well, that's it for now. I'm off to bed, ready to see him tomorrow.
I'm going to try and get him to pronounce the names of the Forsaken (I
got corrected on my Ishy pronounciation!) and record them on the tape.
Maybe a few other character names or things as well.
All right, good night all. I'll have a full transcript up as soon as I
can.
Cheers,
Joel.

JLBrown23

Sep 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/21/99
You didn't mention the one question I was sure would be asked - any word from
RJ on the new book? We are getting close to a year since PoD, so enough of the
book is probably done to make a reasonable guess...

Jeff

Joel Gilmore

Sep 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/22/99

Jeff Haas wrote:

> In article <37E63EEE...@mail.flashmail.com>, Joel Gilmore
> <drago...@mail.flashmail.com> wrote:
>
> <signing report>
>
> Is this going to be posted on the Web somewhere (hopefully in a somewhat
> more polished form :) )?
>

> > We found out his favourite authors.
>

> Now I'm curious. Who are they? Eddings? Goodkind? Terry Brooks? Dr. Suess?

It'll all be up within a week (Authors included. But I think Twain was one of
them. There's 7 in total though)
Joel.
PS - more info further down

Dimitris Tsallas

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
On the seventh day (others believe it was Mon, 20 Sep 1999 17:42:28 -0600),
Pointer <sle...@Ishydunnitix.netcom.com> found the creation in order, took

I double that request!! Definitely want to hear these pronunciations.

Dimitris Tsallas
(Replace .wrong with .gr to reply)
http://www.scifi.gr

J1

Sep 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/23/99
Joel Gilmore <drago...@mail.flashmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, first and foremost we have an answer to the
> balefire-balefire paradox. If A bfs B, then C bfs A, B WILL
> come back alive again. I explored this quite thoroughly with
> him, getting him to repeat himself more than once. It is
> definite. It is over.

Uhm, excuse me for asking, but as you wrote it down here it
doesn't seem like a paradox to me. It gets a paradox when B bfs C
after being brought back:

A bfs B, C bfs A, B returns, B bfs C, A returns. Is B still
alive?

IMO there has to be some sort of "loop" in it to make a genuine
Paradox[tm]. So, what exactly did you ask RJ again? :)

J1
--

"Reason. This demigod unto which you cluster. Sacriledge.
You sacrifice the purity of the air beneath your wings."

Willum

Sep 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/27/99

Sorry about the lateness of this. My ISP is round the bend again.

> Ok, it's almost midnight, and I've got to get up in about 6 hours, so
> I'll keep this really short. Skip the next two paragraphs if you just
> want the questions.
> Only one other person from the newsgroup was there, namely Willum,
which
> I managed to recognise, and we got together with one of my other
friends
> for a small dfs afterwards. Anyway...
> I did take a tape recorder, and taped the talk, though I didn't ask
> permission. And contrary to what I thought listening to it after we
> left (what you heard Willum) the tape is pretty good quality.

Glad to hear that it turned out alright.

He read
> the first bit of Book 8 (about the Ages come to pass and the wind etc)
> and that came out very well.

The pronounciations were very helpful, even if WOT did sound strange
read with a southern drawl.

> Ok, now the really important bit: the questions!!!

> Ok, first and foremost we have an answer to the balefire-balefire
> paradox. If A bfs B, then C bfs A, B WILL come back alive again. I
> explored this quite thoroughly with him, getting him to repeat himself
> more than once. It is definite. It is over.

Don't forget that it still depends on the timing, ie, B will only come
back if C's balefire is strong enough to erase A's balefire in time.

> The shimmering thing with Ishy in the EotW prologue was because of a
> True Power gateway!
> The vanishing thing that Lanfear does at the end of book 2 is in fact
> her just walking out the door. Nothing more.

I told ya so!

> I asked about Ishy's bit in the book 8 prologue, but got to RAFOs so
we
> won't know whether it is set before hand, or (the first question I
> asked) if all the 9 mentioned were all Forsaken.
> We found out his favourite authors. Yes, there is a cardgame on the
> way, similar to Magic: the Gathering.

He also mentioned that he has no objections to WoT marketing ideas,
such as swords, games, jewellry and so on, so long as it's all licensed
properly. He explained that he actually enjoys playing around with alot
of the stuff himself.

At least three more books...He's
> dissapointed about our failure to find who killed asmo...

He insinuated that it was really quite simple (in a nice way), and that
there were also clues, though indirect, in the later books as well as
some in the earlier books.

A couple of
> other stories...There was a drunk guy there who kept interrupting and
> shouting (almost abusing) RJ (Aggghhh!!!)

Thank goodness RJ took it in realtive good humor.

> I forgot to ask about Rahvin,Rand and the fish, but I'm seeing him
again
> tomorrow :) so I'll ask him then.
> We stayed right till the end, and left with him, going down in the
lift
> together and everything. I found him a really nice guy, and very
> friendly.

Harriet is also a wondeful person, very polite and forthcoming. I
simply cannot believe she is the model for the likes of Nyn. Then
again, those Irish lasses are known for their tempers, and we did see a
little of the interplay between RJ and Harriet in the elavator. Harriet
has him firmly in hand I think. *sniff*

> Oh, and I re-asked the question about the shadow controlling one of
the
> horn or the banner, and he said that the heros would have to follow
the
> horn (I think. I don't have this on tape, so...But he didn't say
> anything about a rift, which was what I'd heard someone say he said
> before?)
> Well, that's it for now. I'm off to bed, ready to see him tomorrow.
> I'm going to try and get him to pronounce the names of the Forsaken (I
> got corrected on my Ishy pronounciation!) and record them on the tape.
> Maybe a few other character names or things as well.
> All right, good night all. I'll have a full transcript up as soon as
> can.

Joel, if you send me a copy I will (ISP permitting) put up a copy on
one of my webpages.

--
Willum,
wjc...@corplink.com.au