What RJ said to us at Balticon

John Novak

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
In <DpIv5...@midway.uchicago.edu> ko...@kimbark.uchicago.edu (P.T. Korda) writes:

>Here is a summary of What RJ said at the Baltimore Con this weekend.

...Still pissed I wasn't able to make it.
But more because a bunch of my friends were in one place, rather than
any need to talk to Jordan himself.

>Tor (or whoever) _has_ agreed to do them. The two mentioned above will
>be the first released, and the intermediary books will come out on
>tape in due course. The idea is to get a woman to read the parts which
>are in a woman's POV and a man to read the parts in a man's
>POV. Marina Sirtis of Star Trek fame, and Ben Kingly were mentioned as
>possible readers.

Heh. I still have visions of the actual rasfwrj regulars doing
readings for the tapes and immortalizing ourselves forever. Still
think I'd make a great Taim.

"Kneel, or you will be knelt."

Either that, or Ishamael.

>Also, Mat makes the Aes Sedai nervous.

No doubt!
The only question is, whether he's slept with any Aes Sedai old enough
to be his grandmother...

>Some dude asked if perrin's Hawk had appeared yet. The answer: "I
>thought that was fairly obvious. What is the symbol of Mayene? What is
>the CROWN of Mayene?"

Halle-freaking-lujah.
We can _finally_ put that nonsense to bed.

>In Ebou Dar, if a woman kills a man, it is justified unless proven
>otherwise.

Remind me not to go to Ebou Dar.

>Mat's Foxy Medallion: As we surmised, it works by blocking direct
>channelling of both Saidin and Saidar, and its weakness is that it
>doesn't protect against indirect effects, like _lightening_.

And another hosanna, hosanna.
I (and many others) sit vindicated.

Did anyone think to ask if it was a ter'angreal or some other class of
object?

>When did Mat Die and Live again? He said something that implied that
>the Die and Live again prophecy-fulfillment was the lightening
>incident in TFOH, and not the hanging incident in TSR. I was always
>sure it was the other way around. To paraphrase the Humblest Man on the
>Net: Who's this guy to tell me such things? He just wrote the books.

Indeed.
He must have been momentarily confused.

That says a _lot_ about the temporal awareness of the 'Finn-- they can
not only predict the future and grant wishes, they can predict kinks
like Balefire and the outcome and necessity?

>The oaths: They are quite subjective, if an AS believes she is not
>lying, then the Oath doesn't stop her. So, that is what was going on
>in the torturing part of LOC. It depends on the psychology of the
>individual. It's like spanking a naughty child. Some people regard
>that as child abuse; some people regard it as reasonable punishment.

I predict a whole bunch of Verin arguments.

>Erith the Ogier was described as Loial's "fiancee." I guess Erith and
>Loial's mom came to an agreement...

Heh.
I dunno whether to say "Poor Loial" or not.

>Asmodean: Rand thinks Asm has run away back to the DO, and will try to
>sneak back in through the Asha'man.

The first part of that, at least was clear.
Rand thinks about him once in LoC.

>How learning to use the OP works: The older you are, the faster you
>reach your full potential.

Now _dat's_ interesting.

>Verin: Considerably older than anyone expects. (I presume he was
>talking about the characters, not the fans, considering that our
>guesses range up to 3000 years old.)

Please, let him not be thinking about our crazy estimates.

> He also said that AOL lifespans
>are not known in modern Randland. (Thus, I presume that Verin is NOT
>300 years old.)

I hereby place my guess at about two hundred.
--
John S. Novak, III j...@cegt201.bradley.edu
http://cegt201.bradley.edu/~jsn/index.html

Andrea Lynn Leistra

Apr 7, 1996, 4:00:00 AM4/7/96
In article <DpIv5...@midway.uchicago.edu>,
P.T. Korda <ko...@midway.uchicago.edu> wrote:

>Q&A:

>Some dude asked if perrin's Hawk had appeared yet. The answer: "I
>thought that was fairly obvious. What is the symbol of Mayene? What is

>the CROWN of Mayene?" i.e. Berelain, for all of you who actually
>doubted that. RJ also said Berelain is attracted to Perrin partly bc
>he's the first man she wanted and couldn't get which is interesting,
>partly because he's buff, and partly bc she thinks it'd be kinky to
>make it with a blacksmith. (On the anvil???)

Good. Now we have conclusive proof for the idjits who thought otherwise.

>In Ebou Dar, if a woman kills a man, it is justified unless proven
>otherwise.

Er, wasn't this directly stated in LoC?

>Mat's Foxy Medallion: As we surmised, it works by blocking direct
>channelling of both Saidin and Saidar, and its weakness is that it
>doesn't protect against indirect effects, like _lightening_.

Good. More idjit repellent.

>When did Mat Die and Live again? He said something that implied that
>the Die and Live again prophecy-fulfillment was the lightening
>incident in TFOH, and not the hanging incident in TSR. I was always
>sure it was the other way around. To paraphrase the Humblest Man on the
>Net: Who's this guy to tell me such things? He just wrote the books.

I agree with you on this one, but oh well.

--
Andrea Leistra http://www-leland.stanford.edu/~aleistra
-----

P.T. Korda

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
Here is a summary of What RJ said at the Baltimore Con this weekend. I
haven't got time to write a long summary of everything that went on; I
will leave the discussion of the social aspects (and anything that
happened Friday) to Bill and Robyn...

I'll leave the discussion on vegetarianism to Bill and Robyn, too.

We went to RJ's GOH speech on Saturday, he talked about the importance
of literacy, nothing about the Wheel of Time. Bill, Hawk and I
assaulted him afterwards and asked a few questions, or, rather,
listened to him talk to other folks. He says that unabridged
books-on-tape production of TEOTW and ACOS are forthcoming. When, I
dunno; I got the impression it was still a rather nebulous plan, but

Tor (or whoever) _has_ agreed to do them. The two mentioned above will
be the first released, and the intermediary books will come out on
tape in due course. The idea is to get a woman to read the parts which
are in a woman's POV and a man to read the parts in a man's
POV. Marina Sirtis of Star Trek fame, and Ben Kingly were mentioned as
possible readers.

Hawk found a way to get RJ's attention. Brandish a whip. You see, RJ
IS a dirty old man.

That was it for Saturday. On Sunday was the reading. He read a piece
from COS. (I'll put it in a separate post, to avoid spoiling anybody
even a bit. It wasn't a very plot-intensive bit, though. Fewer
spoilers than the Prologue has!) It was a Mat bit. AFter the reading,
he talked about Mat as a character a bit.

Anyway, Mat has indeed had far and away more MPS experience than our
other young heroes, and intends to get much much more. I believe the
quote was something like "The world is full of beautiful women, and
Mat wants to romp barefoot though them all. (or was that with them
all. same thing.) He's slept with lots of women; he's slept with
women old enough to be his mother..."

Also, Mat makes the Aes Sedai nervous.

Sigh, and if RJ had shown all of this "on-screen," y'all wouldn't be
complaining about the lack of explicit sex in TWOT!!! (And the books
would read like _The Fallon Blood_.)

Q&A:

Some dude asked if perrin's Hawk had appeared yet. The answer: "I
thought that was fairly obvious. What is the symbol of Mayene? What is
the CROWN of Mayene?" i.e. Berelain, for all of you who actually
doubted that. RJ also said Berelain is attracted to Perrin partly bc
he's the first man she wanted and couldn't get which is interesting,
partly because he's buff, and partly bc she thinks it'd be kinky to
make it with a blacksmith. (On the anvil???)

In Ebou Dar, if a woman kills a man, it is justified unless proven
otherwise.

Red Ajah: Not all of them are rabid man-haters. There are some
moderates. However, as a Red, whose primary mission is to stop
channelling by males, one must view all men as potential enemies. This
makes it hard to have any kind of normal relationship with men,
"especially after 20, 30, 50, 100 years of such a mentality." (note
the "100 years")

Mat's Foxy Medallion: As we surmised, it works by blocking direct
channelling of both Saidin and Saidar, and its weakness is that it
doesn't protect against indirect effects, like _lightening_.

When did Mat Die and Live again? He said something that implied that

the Die and Live again prophecy-fulfillment was the lightening
incident in TFOH, and not the hanging incident in TSR. I was always
sure it was the other way around. To paraphrase the Humblest Man on the
Net: Who's this guy to tell me such things? He just wrote the books.

Elaida and her Foretelling: Most Foretellers' Foretellings are very
vague and poetic-sounding, making it difficult to tell what, actually,
WAS foretold before it actually happens. Elaida, OTOH, has very clear,
definite foretellings. She says stuff like "John will die"--not much
vagueness about that. (Of course, Elaida often misinterprets it.)

The oaths: They are quite subjective, if an AS believes she is not
lying, then the Oath doesn't stop her. So, that is what was going on
in the torturing part of LOC. It depends on the psychology of the
individual. It's like spanking a naughty child. Some people regard
that as child abuse; some people regard it as reasonable punishment.

Background: I asked him how much of the setting, etc was worked out
before hand, and how much he does as he goes along. He said that he
has a 10pp or so history of all the countries/regions, and
societies. When the plot goes into a region, he fleshed out the
outline.

_The Guide to the Wheel of Time_: Out sometime this year, I think. Art
by Todd Hamilton--anybody know if this guy has done anything we'd
recognise? At least it isn't DKS! Stuff that will be in there: History
of Artur Hawkwing, History of the Post-Breaking Aes Sedai, the
Seanchen, the Aiel War and the final battle outside Tar Valon.

The length of the series: He's given up guessing how long it will
be. He knows the final scene, and he knows how all the plot elements
will work out: who will be married, who will be dead, what plot
elements will be left unresolved. (Subtext: somebody will get married,
somebody will get killed.)

Tam: He has basicly put together all the stuff he's heard, and knows
that Rand is the Dragon Reborn, although he hasn't admitted it to
himself yet.

Erith the Ogier was described as Loial's "fiancee." I guess Erith and
Loial's mom came to an agreement...

The Fallon Blood: It was originally longer, but it was cut in
editing. Apparently, they cut out all the plot, and left in the
raunchy bits.

Asmodean: Rand thinks Asm has run away back to the DO, and will try to
sneak back in through the Asha'man.

How learning to use the OP works: The older you are, the faster you
reach your full potential. Men reach their full strenght faster than
women. Forced training makes you learn faster, but it is very
dangerous--it can kill you, or burn you out. The Asha'man are being
trained that way, and the casualties of the training show this. (X
number dead, Y number burned out...) Egwene, and El and Ny have also
experienced forced training.

Fel was killed because somebody thought he might reveal too much.

Verin: Considerably older than anyone expects. (I presume he was
talking about the characters, not the fans, considering that our

guesses range up to 3000 years old.) He also said that AOL lifespans

are not known in modern Randland. (Thus, I presume that Verin is NOT

300 years old.) He said something about "the effects of the Oath Rod,"
I don't know whether this was wrt aging, or effects on something
totally unrelated.

Well, that's that.

--pam

Dylan Flynn Alexander

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article <4ka2rf$9...@cegt201.bradley.edu>, j...@cegt201.bradley.edu (John
Novak) wrote:

}Heh. I still have visions of the actual rasfwrj regulars doing
}readings for the tapes and immortalizing ourselves forever. Still
}think I'd make a great Taim.

So who would I be?

--
Dylan Flynn Alexander
dy...@tamu.edu

John Novak

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In <dylan-08049...@ppp13-11.rns.tamu.edu> dy...@tamu.edu (Dylan Flynn Alexander) writes:

>}Heh. I still have visions of the actual rasfwrj regulars doing
>}readings for the tapes and immortalizing ourselves forever. Still
>}think I'd make a great Taim.

>So who would I be?

Bodewhin Cauthon.

The Humblest Man on the Net

Michael D. Steeves

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
= Novak) wrote:
=
= }Heh. I still have visions of the actual rasfwrj regulars doing
= }readings for the tapes and immortalizing ourselves forever. Still
= }think I'd make a great Taim.
=
= So who would I be?

The aptly named 'Sir Not-Appearing-In-These-Tapes.'

HTH!

-darkelf

--
Death before dishonor / Drugs before lunch
-Aspen Gun and Drug Club

Lyman C. Green, Jr.

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96

Ahhh.. that was you. :)
Small crowd, no?
I was surprised there as few as there were. I attended the signing Friday
night, (no discussion in GREAT detail of ACOS) and also the saturday
midday signing (once again, no major discussions) and also the
reading/signing on Sunday. In addition, Harriet McDougal told me on the
elevator (I carried their luggage out to the car that was taking them away
on Sunday) that he (R.J.) had purchased many books on the dyeing
(spelling?) of clothes. Apparently, he's researching it for background on
Nynaeve! Just a tidbit, not of PLOT interest, but I thought it was neat.

He _implied_ that there was something for us to be able to figure out
about Verin (you gave it a bit of mention, sorry I already munched it) by
thinking about the effects of USING the power and also the oath rod. What
do you think he meant?
Just reference to her age?
Or perhaps something more directly related to her use or non-use of the power?
?? I was intrigued.

On a more personal note, he apparently enjoyed the con VERY much. He said
he was more relaxed leaving the con than before he came. In addition, on
Friday night he said he hoped to have the book at the editor by middle of
this week, and that the June date would be held as long as the folks there
worked LONG hours.

We'll see.

--
Narf!

Michael D. Steeves

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
In article <daerid-0804...@rtp-81.interpath.net>,
Lyman C. Green, Jr. <dae...@io.com> wrote:
= He _implied_ that there was something for us to be able to figure out
= about Verin (you gave it a bit of mention, sorry I already munched it) by
= thinking about the effects of USING the power and also the oath rod. What
= do you think he meant? Just reference to her age? Or perhaps something
= more directly related to her use or non-use of the power?

My guess would be that with his mention about the Oath Rod and
belief that perhaps she believed that Moiraine wanted an AS with
them, and since she knew what Rand was, and was with the three of
them, that Moiraine would want her there?

Clutching at straws,
-darkelf
"If you want my address,
It's number one at the end of the bar
Where I sit with the broken angels,
Clutching at straws
and nursing our scars...."
-Marillion, _Clutching at Straws_

Dylan Flynn Alexander

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96

Flynn Alexander) writes:
}

}>}Heh. I still have visions of the actual rasfwrj regulars doing

}>}readings for the tapes and immortalizing ourselves forever. Still

}>}think I'd make a great Taim.

}>So who would I be?
}

}Bodewhin Cauthon.

Ah. You've heard me sing "Bohemian Rhapsody," then. I assure you, my speaking
voice is somewhat deeper.

Besides, I was hoping for a shorter part. Can't I just be a barmaid who says
something informative like "yes" or "upstairs"?

Robyn Goldstein

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96

>Here is a summary of What RJ said at the Baltimore Con this weekend. I
>haven't got time to write a long summary of everything that went on; I
>will leave the discussion of the social aspects (and anything that
>happened Friday) to Bill and Robyn...

Gee.. thanks. I feel so honored.

>I'll leave the discussion on vegetarianism to Bill and Robyn, too.

<sniff> You're just scared that he'd want to eat you. You're too scrawny.

I leave the rest of this discussion to Bill, since he has the quote.

>We went to RJ's GOH speech on Saturday, he talked about the importance
>of literacy, nothing about the Wheel of Time. Bill, Hawk and I
>assaulted him afterwards and asked a few questions, or, rather,
>listened to him talk to other folks. He says that unabridged
>books-on-tape production of TEOTW and ACOS are forthcoming. When, I
>dunno; I got the impression it was still a rather nebulous plan, but
>Tor (or whoever) _has_ agreed to do them. The two mentioned above will
>be the first released, and the intermediary books will come out on
>tape in due course. The idea is to get a woman to read the parts which
>are in a woman's POV and a man to read the parts in a man's
>POV. Marina Sirtis of Star Trek fame, and Ben Kingly were mentioned as
>possible readers.

I suggested RuPaul for Halima, but he didn't bite.

Remeber, according to the Creator himself, "Halima is just weird".

>Hawk found a way to get RJ's attention. Brandish a whip. You see, RJ
>IS a dirty old man.

He's not that old, nor dirty. When I asked him about the Hake House of
Prostituion on Friday (just to end the whole damn debate) he didn't seem
to remember that he liked the dirty questions.

Anyway, there is NO organized prostitution in Randland. Women have
enough power that they don't need pimps - they set up shop on their own
if they so desire.

>Some dude asked if perrin's Hawk had appeared yet. The answer: "I
>thought that was fairly obvious. What is the symbol of Mayene? What is
>the CROWN of Mayene?" i.e. Berelain, for all of you who actually
>doubted that. RJ also said Berelain is attracted to Perrin partly bc
>he's the first man she wanted and couldn't get which is interesting,
>partly because he's buff, and partly bc she thinks it'd be kinky to
>make it with a blacksmith. (On the anvil???)

You forgot the other obviously wrong question that was asked - "Many of
your fans (including the speaker of the question) are sure that Demandred
killed Asmodean..." <snicker><snort><ROTFL>

>Elaida and her Foretelling: Most Foretellers' Foretellings are very
>vague and poetic-sounding, making it difficult to tell what, actually,
>WAS foretold before it actually happens. Elaida, OTOH, has very clear,
>definite foretellings. She says stuff like "John will die"--not much
>vagueness about that. (Of course, Elaida often misinterprets it.)

I got the impression that he was saying that she wasn't repeating the
Foretelling, but that she thought she'd figured it out and would only
tell what was "supposed" to answer.

And you forgot to mention Alviarin and how she's not quite sure that she
believes Elaida's Foretellings (I think that that was it).

Hawk

The _exalted_ guardian of the fledgling few forging the fires of fan fiction.

Julie Kangas

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96

Novak) wrote:

>Heh. I still have visions of the actual rasfwrj regulars doing
>readings for the tapes and immortalizing ourselves forever. Still
>think I'd make a great Taim.

I should be Siuan Sanche. I do a great "Fish guts!"

Julie
Barracuda Sister, Most Arrogant Fish on the Net
DISCLAIMER: Roly poly fish <>< <>< /--------\ /
heads told me what to write. <>< <>< /o)))))))))\-/
<>< <>< <>< <>< <>< >--)))))))))/-\
<>< <>< <>< <>< \---------/ \

Robyn Goldstein

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96
John Novak <j...@cegt201.bradley.edu> wrote:
>Pam Korda wrote:

[Mat's medallion]

>Did anyone think to ask if it was a ter'angreal or some other class of
>object?

Soprry, none of us thought of that. Just be glad we finally put other
things to rest - ya'll still need things to argue over til June.

>>Erith the Ogier was described as Loial's "fiancee." I guess Erith and
>>Loial's mom came to an agreement...

>Heh.

>I dunno whether to say "Poor Loial" or not.

I do. Poor Loial.

Flavio J. Carrillo

Apr 8, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/8/96

>Fel was killed because somebody thought he might reveal too much.

As I always suspected. Occam's razor wins again.

Flavio Carrillo

Aaron Bergman

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <daerid-0804...@rtp-81.interpath.net>, dae...@io.com
(Lyman C. Green, Jr.) wrote:

:He _implied_ that there was something for us to be able to figure out
:about Verin (you gave it a bit of mention, sorry I already munched it) by
:thinking about the effects of USING the power and also the oath rod. What
:do you think he meant?

:Just reference to her age?

:Or perhaps something more directly related to her use or non-use of the power?
:?? I was intrigued.

Ahem:

-----
Well, I forgot the other thing that occurred to me during the reread
and it came back to me responding to a post where someone brought up the
"and with that binding, see the end of life approach" quote again. Thus,
here is my more fully developed theory.

The One Power, in it's purest form, makes one younger as one channels
it. Thus, in the Age of Legends, when the channeling was unimpeded by the
Oath Rod, people lived a lot longer. Because they didn't channel
constantly at high volumes (the higher the volume, the faster you get
younger), they didn't
live forever. However, they could certainly live a long time. An
interesting corollary to this is that the stronger a channeler one is,
the longer one will live.

The main evidence for this is Aginor at the end of The Eye of the
World. He says that he'll get a new body from the Dark One, presumably to
counterract his aging. However, that doesn't happen until later. What
happens is that, while trying to channel the saidin in the Eye of the
World, Aginor becomes younger the more he channels. The reason he dies is
that, in his effort to become as young as possible, he channels too much
of the power and burns up. Of course, Rand stealing some of the power to
make Aginor pull harder certainly didn't help either.

How does the Oath Rod come into this, then? Well, my guess is that the
Oath Rod somehow blocks the anti-aging effects of the One Power and stores
atleast a portion of what is blocked. Why? I'm still working on that.
Maybe the mechanism of the binding uses the anti-aging quality of the One
power. Thus, when Siuan and Leane were stilled, they were no longer bound.
So what happens to all the anti-aging "stuff" that went into the binding?
Siuan and Leane became younger.

I can see a few flaws in the theory, but I still like it a lot. It can
be use to explain a lot of thing in a reasonable way.

What d'y'all think?

Aaron

--
Aaron Bergman

<http://www.cis.yale.edu/~abergman/abergman.html>
------------
--
Aaron Bergman -- aber...@minerva.cis.yale.edu
<http://minerva.cis.yale.edu/~abergman/abergman.html>

Bill Garrett

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
dae...@io.com (Lyman C. Green, Jr.) writes:
}
} In addition, Harriet McDougal told me on the
} elevator (I carried their luggage out to the car that was taking them away
} on Sunday)

So, Lyman, how did the Creator's butt taste? :)

} On a more personal note, he apparently enjoyed the con VERY much. He said
} he was more relaxed leaving the con than before he came.

Relaxed? Yeah, that's probably because: (a) the con was kinda lame for
being billed as a major con, and (b) Jordan only prepared a 5 minute
speech. Other than that, he only did a 15 minute reading, sat on two hour-
long panels making wisecracks the whole time, and answered random questions
for about 2 hours. Pretty easy work for a 3-day trip, if you ask me.

--
Bill Garrett Misanthropology: the study of why so
gar...@cs.unc.edu many people are so damn stupid.

Jay Morrison

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
Subj: BALTICON
Date: 96-04-08 18:01:18 EDT
From: cora...@aol.com (Tom)

BALTICON ***** BALTICON ****** BALTICON ***** BALTICON

Here is an exchange between myself and Jordan.....you can read into
whatever you want... ( I got the idea from a post on the Jordan boards)

Me: When we first met Aran'gar and Osen'gar in LoC and they couldn't
channel...
RJ: Yes
Me: Were they in one of the stedding that fell to the Blight.
RJ: No. [thought for a second] No. Have you taken a good look at the
large Fade?
Me: Yes, Shaidar Haran.
RJ: Yes. He is very different from anything we have seen so far.
Me: There is a theory going around that he is Ishmael reborn. (I
pronounced it Ish-mail)
RJ: [somewhat confused] Oh. Isham - I - elle.
Me: Yes
RJ: ::smiled non-committedly:: then he turned to the next person in
line and began signing their books.

Another exchange between me and RJ

Me: How old is Verin?
RJ: ahhh....hmm...I'd have to check my notes. She is much older than
anyone else we've seen. There is something to be said about an Aes
Sedai with white or grey hair.
Me: Does she date back to the Age of Legends?
RJ: No! [somewhat agitated] No! Not that old at all. There are some
things about the oath rod that I thought were obvious. People aren't
making the connections that I thought they would.
Me: You mean that the oath rod shortens lifespan?
RJ: Yes [somewhat relieved]
Me: And Verin has definately not used the oath rod?
RJ: Yes
Me: And working with the One Power extends lifespan?
RJ: Yes

ACoS will be much shorter than LoC. Jordan's reference was
this......LoC was more than 1700 manuscript pages.......ACoS will be
just over 1000 manuscript pages.

***From beginning to end, the book will ONLY cover ten days.***

I'll post more as I get it typed up......to try to keep the confusion
down I'll post it all here in the CoS folder.

Tom

END OF LETTER

Troufazz / Jay Morrison

Jay Morrison

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
*****BALTICON**** ****BALTICON***** ****BALTICON**** part 2

Asked "Will we see Elyas(the original wolfbrother) again? .....he said
.. "Anything is possible" (It sounded more like a no than anything
else, but RJ is sneaky.)

Asked "How does the Black Ajah recruit?" .....he said.... "Mostly by
observation, but other things as well. We will see more of that in
book 8. I have something planned for that."

Asked if he was any closer to knowing how many books it will take to
finish the series.... he said... No, he still doesn't know how many it
will take.

Asked if we would see/learn more about the Tower of Ghenjii and the
A/Eelfinn..... he said..... Read and find out.

Asked ...."Why did Alviarin react like she did in the ACoS
prologue.....she seemed like she overreacted." .......he said....
Alviarin has already been established as a black ajah. She knows about
Elaida's talent for Foretelling, but she has never seen it before.
Also, she doesn't know when the Foretelling began. We, as the reader
know when it began, but Alviarin doesn't. The Foretelling is a thing
that is always very obscure and its meanings are usually riddled. In
this case it seems very clear. Several things are going to happen just
as she has just said them. Alviarin's shock came from her not knowing
everything Elaida knows. Alviarin has to be wondering if Elaida will
just come right out and say she's(Alvi) a black ajah in her next
Foretelling. That is why she reacted shocked.

Asked if Mat's amulet protects him from saidar and saidin ........ he
said....Yes. but, if you pick up a stick and throw it or make
lightning it won't protect him. Only if you channel at him and try to
pick him up or something.

Asked if Perrin has met the Hawk from his prophesies......(we all know
this, but this idiot didn't realize it) he said....Yes, I thought it
was obvious. Berelain. Mayene has the Hawk crown(or whatever), and all
the various other signs of the hawk, etc.

Asked about lying about the future and if it is bound by the oath
rod.....he said... If an Aes Sedai says that wall be blue
tomorrow(pointing to a tan wall), No, that is not bound by the oath
rod.

then...the same guy
asked....what about when Moiraine said she would see Thom again, would
that be considered lying if she knew she was going to die at the
docks..........he said....... [laughed heartily] Read and Find Out.

Asked about the "Illustrated Guide to the Wheel of Time" .......he
said..... There will be lots and lots of pictures. Most or all of them
will be done by Todd Hamilton. Jordan said he submitted a lot of info
such as...History of Artur Hawkwing...Creation of Aes Sedai....Info on
the Seanchan Empire...Aiel War. Jordan doesn't know what they will use
yet, but that is what he submitted. It is being done by the same
people who did the Pern stuff.

Asked.....If the Wheel is broken.......the DO wins, right? ......he
said....Yes, absolutely.

Jay Morrison

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96

****BALTICON**** ****BALTICON***** ****BALTICON**** part 3

Here is another exchange between Jordan and me(thanks to my good
friend, you know who you are)

Me: Can you dispel a rumor for me?
RJ: Well, maybe.
Me: [sheepishly] Is there any way that the Dark One could get inside of
Fain and walk around the world and supervise all his plans?
RJ: [laughs uproariously and looks up to see if I'm out of my mind]
Now, I know some of you have too much time on your hands.
Me: [even more sheepishly] Well, there is someone online who...you
know...thinks...
RJ: No, Fain is not the Dark One and he will never be.
Me: [walks away embarrassed as hell]

*****Possible Spoiler******* *******Possible Spoiler******

Asked about why Perrin is getting so little book time..... he
said....He'll get more time, in fact, in ACoS there are only about 3 or
4 chapters with Rand in them. Most of the book has a lot to do with
the reactions of people to the events at Dumai's Wells.

Courtenay Footman

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <daerid-0804...@rtp-81.interpath.net>,
Lyman C. Green, Jr. <dae...@io.com> wrote:
>On a more personal note, he apparently enjoyed the con VERY much. He said
>he was more relaxed leaving the con than before he came. In addition, on
>Friday night he said he hoped to have the book at the editor by middle of
>this week, and that the June date would be held as long as the folks there
>worked LONG hours.

In a letter to pnh, I thanked him for the information he has been giving
us, and asked if they would have to copyedit COS in five days, as they
did tFoH. His answer was "probably".

How would you like to have that job?

Courtenay Footman I have again gotten back on the net, and
c...@lightlink.com again I will never get anything done.

Tshen

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96

: Novak) wrote:
: }Heh. I still have visions of the actual rasfwrj regulars doing
: }readings for the tapes and immortalizing ourselves forever. Still
: }think I'd make a great Taim.
: So who would I be?

Zarine.

--Tshen
Qodaxti Institute, 87th stratum

Karl-Johan Noren

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <4kc8mf$4...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> ha...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Robyn Goldstein) writes:

[ RJ at Balticon ]

> He's not that old, nor dirty. When I asked him about the Hake House of
> Prostituion on Friday (just to end the whole damn debate) he didn't seem
> to remember that he liked the dirty questions.

Erh. I asked him that almost one year ago.
--
Karl-Johan Norén (Noren with acute e) -- k-j-...@dsv.su.se
http://www.dsv.su.se/~k-j-nore/

Lyman C. Green, Jr.

Apr 9, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/9/96
In article <4kcjjf$n...@ashe.cs.unc.edu>, gar...@cs.unc.edu (Bill Garrett)
wrote:

>So, Lyman, how did the Creator's butt taste? :)
>

>} On a more personal note, he apparently enjoyed the con VERY much. He said
>} he was more relaxed leaving the con than before he came.
>

>Relaxed? Yeah, that's probably because: (a) the con was kinda lame for
>being billed as a major con, and (b) Jordan only prepared a 5 minute
>speech. Other than that, he only did a 15 minute reading, sat on two hour-
>long panels making wisecracks the whole time, and answered random questions
>for about 2 hours. Pretty easy work for a 3-day trip, if you ask me.
>
>--
>Bill Garrett Misanthropology: the study of why so
>gar...@cs.unc.edu many people are so damn stupid.
>http://www.cs.unc.edu/~garrett/

Bill... I am glad you put a smile up there... I am almost insulted. Just
because YOU didn't enjoy the con doesn't mean others of us didn't. Your
opinions are your own.

And I was 'assigned' so to speak to carry their luggage because I was the
closest volunteer. It's not like I _ASKED_ to carry their luggage...
that'd be REALLY asking for punishment.

Lyman

--
Narf!

Brad Johnson

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
Courtenay Footman (c...@light.lightlink.com) wrote:
: In a letter to pnh, I thanked him for the information he has been giving

: us, and asked if they would have to copyedit COS in five days, as they
: did tFoH. His answer was "probably".

: How would you like to have that job?

I'd love it.
I mean, getting a week *just* to read the book? Perfection. Now, if
we were back in the days of type-setting, and I had to set COS in that
time, I think I would go quite mad. or maybe just hear voices saying
"Taim must DIEEE!"

--bradj.
------------------------Nullus Oppidenda Est--------------------------
brad johnson (bgjo...@unix.amherst.edu) 'Disc, God, Country, Pork'
http://www.amherst.edu/~bgjohnso/ 'Chickens! No Cynics!'

Erica L. Sadun

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
:In article <DpIv5...@midway.uchicago.edu>, ko...@midway.uchicago.edu wrote:
:He _implied_ that there was something for us to be able to figure out
:about Verin (you gave it a bit of mention, sorry I already munched it) by
:thinking about the effects of USING the power and also the oath rod. What
:do you think he meant?
:Just reference to her age?
:Or perhaps something more directly related to her use or non-use of the power?
:?? I was intrigued.

Well duh.

"Verin is as old as she is because she never held the oath rod".

Therefore, she isn't black, but she lies like a cheap rug.

-- Erica

--
=================================ERICA SADUN==================================
"JavaScript Cookbook" forthcoming from Charles River Media. ISBN 1-886801-35-5

Robyn Goldstein

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article <K-J-NORE.9...@aldor.dsv.su.se>,
Karl-Johan Noren <k-j-...@dsv.su.se> wrote:
>Hawk wrote:

>[ RJ at Balticon ]
>> He's not that old, nor dirty. When I asked him about the Hake House of
>> Prostituion on Friday (just to end the whole damn debate) he didn't seem
>> to remember that he liked the dirty questions.

>Erh. I asked him that almost one year ago.

<shrug> I knew someone had asked, but I didn't remember who. 'Sides,
didn't he tell you that there was NO prostitution at all? His answer to
me was a bit more reasonable.

Phetsy Calderon

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article <4kflm7$b...@tom.amherst.edu>
bgjo...@unix.amherst.edu (Brad Johnson) writes:

> Courtenay Footman (c...@light.lightlink.com) wrote:
> : In a letter to pnh, I thanked him for the information he has been giving
> : us, and asked if they would have to copyedit COS in five days, as they
> : did tFoH. His answer was "probably".
>
> : How would you like to have that job?
>
> I'd love it.
> I mean, getting a week *just* to read the book?

Personally, as a professional editor and Jordan fan, I'd hate it. The
problem with editing something like tFoH that fast (and let me tell
you, folks, the _team_--please God, it had to be a team, nobody should
have to do a job that big by herself--set World Land Speed Records for
editing) is that you DON'T read it for sense or plot. It's just a
progression of phrases, that are or are not punctuated correctly, spelt

correctly, follow house style, and are more or less laid out correctly.
(For those who don't have the pleasure of working in publications,
copyediting means checking for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and
maybe
syntax.It is _not_ an examination of the manuscript's organization.)

It would drive me _crazy_, knowing that I was reading the book and not
being able to absorb one bloody point of the plot.

Phetsy
cald...@popcorn.llnl.gov

Bill Garrett

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
dae...@io.com (Lyman C. Green, Jr.) writes:
} gar...@cs.unc.edu (Bill Garrett) wrote:
}
} >So, Lyman, how did the Creator's butt taste? :)
}
} Bill... I am glad you put a smile up there... I am almost insulted. Just
} because YOU didn't enjoy the con doesn't mean others of us didn't. Your
} opinions are your own.

It wasn't a matter of whether or not I enjoyed the con; it was a
misunderstanding on my part of the circumstances under which you were
carrying Jordan's bags.

} And I was 'assigned' so to speak to carry their luggage because I was the
} closest volunteer. It's not like I _ASKED_ to carry their luggage...
} that'd be REALLY asking for punishment.

You see, I didn't know you were a con volunteer who was assigned to
do it... I had this picture in my mind of you walking along a half step
behind RJ, saying, "Oh, Mister Jordan, I really love your books may I
carry your bags may I shine your shoes oh my there's a spot on your
jacket have I mentioned that I'm going to name my first-born child after
you?"

Karl-Johan Noren

Apr 10, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/10/96
In article <4kge9f$a...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
ha...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Robyn Goldstein) writes:

[ Asking RJ about prostitution in Randland ]

> <shrug> I knew someone had asked, but I didn't remember who. 'Sides,
> didn't he tell you that there was NO prostitution at all? His answer to
> me was a bit more reasonable.

Probably because I made him think about it :-)

Timothy Ni

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
gar...@cs.unc.edu (Bill Garrett) wrote:

>You see, I didn't know you were a con volunteer who was assigned to
>do it... I had this picture in my mind of you walking along a half step
>behind RJ, saying, "Oh, Mister Jordan, I really love your books may I
>carry your bags may I shine your shoes oh my there's a spot on your
>jacket have I mentioned that I'm going to name my first-born child after
>you?"

Hey if RJ came up to where I live, I'd shine his shoes. I'd buy him
dinner, find him hookers, drive him around town, whatever the hell he
wanted..

Then I'd set up this big web page, detailing all of RJ's food
preferences, hooker preferences, et al. I'd have downloadable GIFs,
and big usenet articles "Re: What RJ said to me, after I found him
hookers"; or "Re: RJ puts mayo+relish on his hamburgers; no onions".

Then again if I tried any of this, RJ would probably tell me to go to
hell. I do look like a shady character sometimes.

Timothy Ni, t...@po-box.mcgill.ca
Montreal, Canada
"Courtney Love killed Asmodean"

mhu...@shadow.res.cmu.edu

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
Courtenay Footman (c...@light.lightlink.com) wrote in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan on 9 Apr 1996 12:39:29 -0400:

> In a letter to pnh, I thanked him for the information he has been giving
> us, and asked if they would have to copyedit COS in five days, as they
> did tFoH. His answer was "probably".
> How would you like to have that job?

Take it in a minute. I'd love to be paid to do something I love to
do anyway, and I -already- spend hideous amounts of time with my nose
buried in a book.

I daresay I could do the whole thing in less than 5 days on my
own.. ;)

Rocky Persaud

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
t...@po-box.mcgill.ca (Timothy Ni) wrote:
>Hey if RJ came up to where I live, I'd shine his shoes. I'd buy him
>dinner, find him hookers, drive him around town, whatever the hell he
>wanted..
>
>Then I'd set up this big web page, detailing all of RJ's food
>preferences, hooker preferences, et al. I'd have downloadable GIFs,
>and big usenet articles "Re: What RJ said to me, after I found him
>hookers"; or "Re: RJ puts mayo+relish on his hamburgers; no onions".
>
>Then again if I tried any of this, RJ would probably tell me to go to
>hell. I do look like a shady character sometimes.
>
>Timothy Ni, t...@po-box.mcgill.ca

Sometimes?

Rocky

Mr. F***ing Sensitive

Apr 11, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/11/96
On 10 Apr 1996, Phetsy Calderon wrote:

> In article <4kflm7$b...@tom.amherst.edu>
> bgjo...@unix.amherst.edu (Brad Johnson) writes:
>
> > Courtenay Footman (c...@light.lightlink.com) wrote:

> > : In a letter to pnh, I thanked him for the information he has been giving

> > : us, and asked if they would have to copyedit COS in five days, as they
> > : did tFoH. His answer was "probably".
> >
> > : How would you like to have that job?
> >

> > I'd love it.
> > I mean, getting a week *just* to read the book?
>
> Personally, as a professional editor and Jordan fan, I'd hate it. The
> problem with editing something like tFoH that fast (and let me tell
> you, folks, the _team_--please God, it had to be a team, nobody should
> have to do a job that big by herself--set World Land Speed Records for
> editing) is that you DON'T read it for sense or plot. It's just a
> progression of phrases, that are or are not punctuated correctly, spelt
>
> correctly, follow house style, and are more or less laid out correctly.
> (For those who don't have the pleasure of working in publications,
> copyediting means checking for grammar, punctuation, spelling, and
> maybe
> syntax.It is _not_ an examination of the manuscript's organization.)
>
> It would drive me _crazy_, knowing that I was reading the book and not
> being able to absorb one bloody point of the plot.
>
> Phetsy
> cald...@popcorn.llnl.gov

That is 100% correct, folks. copyreading has very little to do with
actual reading. Plus, generally, copy staff will have two or three people
working on the same section at a time, with the book being divided up
into sections (probably 50-100 pages a section).

When you copyread you don't absorb plot. You look for grammatical errors
and typos. It's a LOUSY JOB. (I know, I've done it.)

***Behold the .sig file of Shawn!***

-Shawn, Lord of Chaos
-Mister F***ing Sensitive
-Features Editor, Rensselaer Polytechnic
-Brother of the Theta Colony of Chi Phi
-All-around good guy

Home Page URL - http://www.rpi.edu/~connos/

"Of course I'm crazy, but that doesn't mean I'm wrong. I'm MAD but not ILL."
--Robert Anton Wilson, "Werewolf Bridge"

Sauer, Alan Lewis

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
mhu...@shadow.res.cmu.edu wrote:
: Courtenay Footman (c...@light.lightlink.com) wrote in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan on 9 Apr 1996 12:39:29 -0400:

: > In a letter to pnh, I thanked him for the information he has been giving
: > us, and asked if they would have to copyedit COS in five days, as they
: > did tFoH. His answer was "probably".
: > How would you like to have that job?

: Take it in a minute. I'd love to be paid to do something I love to

: do anyway, and I -already- spend hideous amounts of time with my nose
: buried in a book.

Oh, yes. You know, I should look into that as a career . . . anything
that pays me to read, you know.

: I daresay I could do the whole thing in less than 5 days on my
: own.. ;)

Let's see, if I didn't do anything else, slept four hours a night, and
forgot to eat (okay, so if I acted like it had just come out) I could
do such easily, with at least one reread.

Alan Sauer | "In the last, lorn bite 'gainst hunger's long night
Lord Rabbit | The molehills stand guard, and the mice shall be ward
| For the fence is no bar to my tooth."

Brad Johnson

Apr 12, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/12/96
Shawn wrote:
<re copy editing ACOS in five days>
: That is 100% correct, folks. copyreading has very little to do with
: actual reading. Plus, generally, copy staff will have two or three people
: working on the same section at a time, with the book being divided up
: into sections (probably 50-100 pages a section).

: When you copyread you don't absorb plot. You look for grammatical errors
: and typos. It's a LOUSY JOB. (I know, I've done it.)

Probably because I've never had to do it, but I could actually see
myself semi enjoying editing. I actually enjoy looking for typos and
grammar mistakes etc. in stuff. However, it is most likely because I
don't *have* to do it. But i'd be willing to do it for a while. I
mean, I don't really understand what I'm reading anyway.

On a side note, the book that had the worst coy editing had to be the
paperback Second OMNI Book of Games. THe first book, an big
paperback, is one of the greatest collection of word games, trivia
puzzles, and interesting info you'll ever find. A real gem. The other
one, however, which came out many years later, had at least one or two
glaring and sometimes serious errors every five pages. Errors of
every sort. Spelling, misnumbered references, incorrect information,
everything. It was truly remarkable.

Robyn Goldstein

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
In article <daerid-0904...@rtp-92.interpath.net>,

Lyman C. Green, Jr. <dae...@io.com> wrote:
>Bill "Pirhanna-Puppy" Garrett wrote:

Do learn how to edit your posts.

>>Relaxed? Yeah, that's probably because: (a) the con was kinda lame for
>>being billed as a major con, and (b) Jordan only prepared a 5 minute
>>speech. Other than that, he only did a 15 minute reading, sat on two hour-
>>long panels making wisecracks the whole time, and answered random questions
>>for about 2 hours. Pretty easy work for a 3-day trip, if you ask me.

>Bill... I am glad you put a smile up there... I am almost insulted. Just

>because YOU didn't enjoy the con doesn't mean others of us didn't. Your
>opinions are your own.

Noone said that you couldn't enjoy the con. But it WAS rather boring.
Idiotic, IMO, panels and it was on one of the WORST weekends. It would
have made more sense if they had waited til this weekend. They would
have had more people, which might have managed to liven the place up.

I've gone to one day cons that had just as "big" names that were more fun.

Hawk

-Do not meddle in the affairs of hawks, for we are fond of raking with our
talons.

Robyn Goldstein

Apr 13, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/13/96
In article <K-J-NORE.96...@igor.dsv.su.se>,

Karl-Johan Noren <k-j-...@dsv.su.se> wrote:
>Hawk wrote:

>[ Asking RJ about prostitution in Randland ]
>> <shrug> I knew someone had asked, but I didn't remember who. 'Sides,
>> didn't he tell you that there was NO prostitution at all? His answer to
>> me was a bit more reasonable.

>Probably because I made him think about it :-)

<sniff><pout>You just want all the credit.

Karl-Johan Noren

Apr 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/14/96
In article <4kob8k$k...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu>
ha...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Robyn Goldstein) writes:

> Karl-Johan Noren <k-j-...@dsv.su.se> wrote:
> >Hawk wrote:
>
> >[ Asking RJ about prostitution in Randland ]
> >> <shrug> I knew someone had asked, but I didn't remember who. 'Sides,
> >> didn't he tell you that there was NO prostitution at all? His answer to
> >> me was a bit more reasonable.
>
> >Probably because I made him think about it :-)
>
> <sniff><pout>You just want all the credit.

Certainly. But I can graciously admit that you _did_ ask him
a second time, and that you _did_ type up the answer and
send it on the net.

Debra Fran Baker

Apr 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/16/96
In <4kob6v$k...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu> ha...@gwis2.circ.gwu.edu (Robyn Goldstein) writes:

>>Bill... I am glad you put a smile up there... I am almost insulted. Just
>>because YOU didn't enjoy the con doesn't mean others of us didn't. Your
>>opinions are your own.

>Noone said that you couldn't enjoy the con. But it WAS rather boring.
>Idiotic, IMO, panels and it was on one of the WORST weekends. It would
>have made more sense if they had waited til this weekend. They would
>have had more people, which might have managed to liven the place up.

Balticon has this thing about always being on Easter Weekend, no matter
what. I've spoken to people about it (if it hadn't been Easter weekend,
and therefore abutting Passover, so at best I could make it on Sunday,
after driving all Saturday night, I might have gone this year) but they
refuse to change. Next year I believe that Easter is early, so they
should get a better crowd.

Some cons are like that. Darkover Grand Council is always Thanksgiving
Weekend, for example, with Philcon the week before. Disclave is always
Memorial Day. Others are more flexible.

Debra
* For its ways are ways of pleasantness and all its paths are peace. *
Debra Fran Baker dfb...@panix.com

mhu...@shadow.res.cmu.edu

Apr 17, 1996, 3:00:00 AM4/17/96
Sauer, Alan Lewis (ALS...@tiny.computing.csbsju.edu) wrote in rec.arts.sf.written.robert-jordan on 12 Apr 1996 04:14:48 GMT:

> Let's see, if I didn't do anything else, slept four hours a night, and
> forgot to eat (okay, so if I acted like it had just come out) I could
> do such easily, with at least one reread.

I was talking about reading it /and/ proofreading it, but the rest
sounds a lot like me.

Hey PNH, any openings? ;)