Babylon Squared and Squared and Squared.... (jms, question?)

gh...@wam.umd.edu

Aug 11, 1994, 9:01:54 AM8/11/94
I was blown away by this show!!!! Very moody, very eerie. I am afraid
of and for the future of the crew. Knowing what I read in the Cinefantastique
article and seeing that flash forward, I miss Mr. Garibadli already. 8(
Very deep stuff. While I will also say that Garibaldi's Stand triggers
a memory of _ALiens_ , I think it was *NOT* intended to; in my view, it is more
in tune with Garibaldi's character. The Grey Council are creepier than
Soul HUnters in my book -actually I prefer the SOul Hunters to these guys
meself.

That bit at the beginning was drop-dead funny!!!! The main thing why it worked
was that it was not THROWN in your face by 'comedic' music in humor scenes
that we have seen before. Very Very funny , I was rollin'..even funnier than
when Londooooooo! tried to cheer up Garibaldi..Don't get me wrong here, I like
CHris Frankes music for the series bvu I think the musical cue could be skipped
and just let the characters play it out. I didn't even know that it was a setup
until SInclair started '..breathing in, breathing out...' 8-) 8-)
Wonderful, one of the *BEST* scenes yet....
Oh, I shouldn't forget the shuttle ride. HAHAHAHAHAHAAH!!!! "Do you always
think of these things ?" 8) 8)

The more i see Sinclair, I like him more and more as a character..very noble
person. I like the way he is portrayed by O'Hare, I do NOT think he is
wooden at all.....somehow I feel a little sorry for him and Garibaldi

That chambers of the GRey COuncil is just plain spooks, man...I noticed
that only 2 of hte Nine showed their faces (I think)..

I am so overwhelmed but I don't know what to say tho' I had a lot more stuff to ytak on about...

Questions for jms
-----------------
1) So there *IS* time travel in B5 ?

2) was a hint dropped concerning the hole in SInclair's mind ?
I have a wierd not so subtle idea what it could be about..

3) Is Delenn outcast from the Nine ?

4) WIll we ever know of Minbari history ?
Who is Valen (?) and who were the original Nine and what is *their* legend
about ?

5) Was that ALL of the Prophecy as shown in POD ?

6) Are the Vorlon time-travelers ?

7) WHY IS IVANOVA ALWAYS TIRED OF LATE ?????

8) Why are you doing this to us? (sorry I couldn't resist)
>8) >8)

9) I am truly sorry for reiterating but, once and for all
(I'd liek ta hear it from you) :

WHICH IS THE OLDEST RACE aboard Babylon5 ?

Thank you for a wonderful albeit DISTURBING Week!! Kudos to the director,
jms, and the set/light/stage guys/gals!!

PS. jms, could you show more incidents of the characters talking about previous
events? I mean, Epislon3 is a hot topic now that there is/WAS life there..
B4 IS *BIG* news in Earth circles,..I'd love to see the reaction of
regular crew/people or something AS WELL as Universe today 8-)
just a minor request...8)

"Cee Toh Ree Cho Mol Voh Rae...Cee Toh Ree Cho Mon Toh Rae"

ghost in the shadow

jason eric sexton

Aug 11, 1994, 6:50:26 PM8/11/94
spaces and a ^L for the dumbass that didn't put them in last time.....

^L

YOU GODAMN MOTHER FUCKERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In article <1994Aug11...@fnalv.fnal.gov> dam...@warner.fnal.gov writes:

>In article <32d7g2$2...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, gh...@wam.umd.edu () writes:
>> I was blown away by this show!!!! Very moody, very eerie. I am afraid
>> of and for the future of the crew. Knowing what I read in the Cinefantastique
>> article and seeing that flash forward, I miss Mr. Garibadli already. 8(
>

>NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o o o o

WHO THE GOD DAMNED MOTHER FUCKING HELL LET THIS SLIP BY WITHOUT A
CONTROL-L?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!

THANKS A FUCKING LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ghost, i hope it wasn't you...but even so DAMBIK YOU SHIT FOR BRAINS!!!!!!!!!

jason

--
jason sexton = cybergrind sex...@cis.ohio-state.edu
"VR will really be nothing more than a glorified

Ed Dambik

Aug 11, 1994, 5:45:19 PM8/11/94
In article <32d7g2$2...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, gh...@wam.umd.edu () writes:
> I was blown away by this show!!!! Very moody, very eerie. I am afraid
> of and for the future of the crew. Knowing what I read in the Cinefantastique
> article and seeing that flash forward, I miss Mr. Garibadli already. 8(

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo o o o o

David A Bergman

Aug 11, 1994, 5:26:08 PM8/11/94
gh...@wam.umd.edu wrote:
: 2) was a hint dropped concerning the hole in SInclair's mind ?

: I have a wierd not so subtle idea what it could be about..

What? If it is dangerous, post it to the mailing list.

: 7) WHY IS IVANOVA ALWAYS TIRED OF LATE ?????

My pet theory. This will mean something in Chrysalis based on one
of the transcribed JMS compuserve posts.

Aaron

Ed Dambik

Aug 13, 1994, 1:00:49 AM8/13/94

:

> WHO THE GOD DAMNED MOTHER FUCKING HELL LET THIS SLIP BY WITHOUT A
> CONTROL-L?!?!?!?!!?!?!?!!?!?!?!?!
>
> THANKS A FUCKING LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
>
> ghost, i hope it wasn't you...but even so DAMBIK YOU SHIT FOR BRAINS!!!!!!!!!

Attention:
Will the parents of Jason Eric Sexton please claim your child in
security? The foul-mouthed little brat was found annoying all the
adults in the vicinity because he thought he saw something that
wasn't really there. Will the parents of Jason Eric Sexton...

You can send your apology anytime, BTW.

...please claim your child in security? Will the parents of Jason
Eric Sexton please claim your child in security?

Attention:
Will the parents of Jason Eric Sexton...

Ken Arromdee

Aug 13, 1994, 12:48:35 AM8/13/94
In article <32e51g$d...@nntp2.Stanford.EDU>,

David A Bergman <dab...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

>: 7) WHY IS IVANOVA ALWAYS TIRED OF LATE ?????
>My pet theory. This will mean something in Chrysalis based on one
>of the transcribed JMS compuserve posts.

Yet another reason to make us suspicious she's becoming a psi. :-) (Hey, it
even fits the guess that that's one of the things 'Chrysalis' refers to.)
--
Ken Arromdee (email: arro...@jyusenkyou.cs.jhu.edu)
ObYouKnowWho Bait: Stuffed Turkey with Gravy and Mashed Potatoes

"You, a Decider?" --Romana "I decided not to." --The Doctor

Agent J

Aug 12, 1994, 10:20:18 PM8/12/94
dab...@leland.Stanford.EDU (David A Bergman) writes:

>gh...@wam.umd.edu wrote:

>What? If it is dangerous, post it to the mailing list.

>: 7) WHY IS IVANOVA ALWAYS TIRED OF LATE ?????

>My pet theory. This will mean something in Chrysalis based on one
>of the transcribed JMS compuserve posts.

The answer is simple: She's always tired for the same reason I'm always
tired - not enough sleep.

B^2 spoilers (yeah, right)

Ivanova was tired because <gasp> they woke her up an hour early. CAN YOU
BELIEVE THAT?!? She got up early and she was... TIRED!? Wow!
"Gamera's really neat! Gamera's full of meat! We all love you Gamera!"
"Joel, do human beings really act like this?" -- Tom Servo

David A Bergman

Aug 14, 1994, 12:47:09 AM8/14/94

: >gh...@wam.umd.edu wrote:

: >What? If it is dangerous, post it to the mailing list.

: >: 7) WHY IS IVANOVA ALWAYS TIRED OF LATE ?????

: >My pet theory. This will mean something in Chrysalis based on one
: >of the transcribed JMS compuserve posts.

: The answer is simple: She's always tired for the same reason I'm always
: tired - not enough sleep.

Yes, but reading a JMS post on compuserve that was posted here earlier,
he said that something the viewers have accepted without...

actually, let me quote JMS...

> : JMS on compuserve said:
> : : I just showed "Chrysalis" to a couple of people today, who
> : : didn't know what was in it. And there's one thing that they had
> : : seen over and over in prior episodes of the series which they never
> : : thought twice about, which they just sorta accepted...only to
> : : suddenly have this understanding totally turned on its head.
> : :
> : : The look on their faces was *priceless*.
> : :
> : : This is probably the longest and most extensive setup/payoff
> : : in SF television history. And afterward, once you discover what
> : : that is, if you go back suddenly there's a LOT of different meaning
> : : in prior episodes.

That's where my theory came from...

Aaron

B^2 spoilers munched

The_Doge

Aug 14, 1994, 2:30:27 AM8/14/94
In article <32k7kd$8...@nntp2.Stanford.EDU>,

David A Bergman <dab...@leland.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>Agent J (klu...@u.washington.edu) wrote:
>: dab...@leland.Stanford.EDU (David A Bergman) writes:
>

>: >: 7) WHY IS IVANOVA ALWAYS TIRED OF LATE ?????
>
>: >My pet theory. This will mean something in Chrysalis based on one
>: >of the transcribed JMS compuserve posts.
>
>: The answer is simple: She's always tired for the same reason I'm always
>: tired - not enough sleep.

Actually, I thought the reason was indicated in "Legacies"; she
has recurring nightmares about her mother's death. That'll kill anybody's
good night's sleep.
Besides, I'm just glad to see someone in a show who has a tough
time getting it together in the morning. Hell, there were NO Night
People on the Enterprise, far as I could tell.
* The_Doge of South St. Louis | clav...@nyx.cs.du.edu *
* Dobbs-Approved Media Conspirator(tm)|"One Step Beyond"-Sundays 3 pm, 88.1 FM*

Dianne Hackborn

Aug 14, 1994, 4:49:56 AM8/14/94
clav...@nyx.cs.du.edu (The_Doge) wrote thusly:

| Actually, I thought the reason was indicated in "Legacies"; she
| has recurring nightmares about her mother's death. That'll kill anybody's
| good night's sleep.
| Besides, I'm just glad to see someone in a show who has a tough
| time getting it together in the morning. Hell, there were NO Night
| People on the Enterprise, far as I could tell.

Yes!! As if we needed *any* more proof of how cool she is. ;) ;)

Dianne Kyra Hackborn "Pat Buchannan is so
hac...@mail.cs.orst.edu homophobic he blames global
BIX: dhack / IRC: Dianne warming on the AIDS quilt."
Oregon State University -- Dennis Miller

Tal Greywolf

Aug 14, 1994, 12:39:56 PM8/14/94
Dianne Hackborn (hac...@python.CS.ORST.EDU) wrote:
: clav...@nyx.cs.du.edu (The_Doge) wrote thusly:

| Actually, I thought the reason was indicated in "Legacies"; she
| has recurring nightmares about her mother's death. That'll kill anybody's
| good night's sleep.
| Besides, I'm just glad to see someone in a show who has a tough
| time getting it together in the morning. Hell, there were NO Night
| People on the Enterprise, far as I could tell.

: Yes!! As if we needed *any* more proof of how cool she is. ;) ;)

Actually, I think Ivanova would use a pair of lines that I generally use.

"'Not a morning person' doesn't even begin to cover it."

and

"I'm awake and out of bed. What more do you want?"

-Tal Greywolf
"The sad part is, I applied for this job."

Gharlane of Eddore

Aug 14, 1994, 1:42:51 PM8/14/94
In <32lhcs$c...@uuneo.neosoft.com> grey...@new-orleans.neosoft.com
(Tal Greywolf) writes:

> Dianne Hackborn (hac...@python.CS.ORST.EDU) wrote:
>| Besides, I'm just glad to see someone in a show who has a tough
>| time getting it together in the morning. Hell, there were NO Night
>| People on the Enterprise, far as I could tell.
>: Yes!! As if we needed *any* more proof of how cool she is. ;) ;)
>
> Actually, I think Ivanova would use a pair of lines that I generally use.
> "'Not a morning person' doesn't even begin to cover it."
> and
> "I'm awake and out of bed. What more do you want?"

Naw.... it's aftermath of morning sickness.
She's pregnant with G'Kar's child.
Remember the hot-pink undies?

*GRIN*

A Adams

Aug 14, 1994, 2:30:04 PM8/14/94
Dianne Hackborn (hac...@python.CS.ORST.EDU) wrote:
: clav...@nyx.cs.du.edu (The_Doge) wrote thusly:

: | Actually, I thought the reason was indicated in "Legacies"; she
: | has recurring nightmares about her mother's death. That'll kill anybody's
: | good night's sleep.
: | Besides, I'm just glad to see someone in a show who has a tough
: | time getting it together in the morning. Hell, there were NO Night
: | People on the Enterprise, far as I could tell.

: Yes!! As if we needed *any* more proof of how cool she is. ;) ;)

Has anyone considered that the 'getting up in the morning thing' is why
she is growing the coffee plant? (From The War Prayer.) and that is
why she allowed herself to be bullied by Garibaldi about the plant
(she can't wake up properly without the coffee) :-).

--
TTFN, A^3 *************************E-mail*a...@scs.leeds.ac.uk********
*******************************Temp*snail*9 Valkyrie Road, Wallasey**

Kymberlee Ricke

Aug 14, 1994, 7:42:04 PM8/14/94
A Adams <csc...@leeds.ac.uk> writes:

>: | Actually, I thought the reason was indicated in "Legacies"; she
>: | has recurring nightmares about her mother's death. That'll kill anybody's
>: | good night's sleep.
>: | Besides, I'm just glad to see someone in a show who has a tough
>: | time getting it together in the morning. Hell, there were NO Night
>: | People on the Enterprise, far as I could tell.

I didn't get the impression that she was constantly plagued by nightmares. That
telepathic guy (Grey?) was poking around and making her think of her mother a
lot which could prompt nightmares for that time.
I think she just doesn't like mornings. How many of us wake up at 4:30 on a
daily basis and like it? I loved the scene where she was complaining/explaining
to Sinclair that she has always had problems getting up when it's dark outside.
Sinclair told her that in space it's always darka nd she said, "I know, I know."

Would you want to get out of bed and face the crap she has to face everyday?

Anyway...IMHO...she's just "not a morning person".

Kymberlee

A Adams

Aug 14, 1994, 8:47:54 PM8/14/94
: (Tal Greywolf) wrote:
: > Actually, I think Ivanova would use a pair of lines that I generally use.

: > "'Not a morning person' doesn't even begin to cover it."
: > and
: > "I'm awake and out of bed. What more do you want?"
: >

Gharlane of Eddore (ghar...@nextnet.csus.edu) followed
up with his usual stupid trick of setting followups
to nowhere valid (silly prat):
: Naw.... it's aftermath of morning sickness.

: She's pregnant with G'Kar's child.
: Remember the hot-pink undies?

Nah, Hot pink may be G'Kar's colour, but it's definitely NOT
Ivanova's - black silk is probably more in her line.

Allen J. Newton

Aug 14, 1994, 3:57:18 AM8/14/94
In article <32d7g2$2...@cville-srv.wam.umd.edu>, writes:

> That chambers of the GRey COuncil is just plain spooks, man...I noticed
> that only 2 of hte Nine showed their faces (I think)..

I agreed that this episode was GREAT!

JMS, why didn't the two Grey Council members have their little silver
triangles (or Delenn for that matter) on their foreheads when the Council was
in session? Was it a makeup oversight, or some storyline reason (or both ;-)?

Allen J. Newton |
ane...@alturia.abq.nm.us |

John Benn

Aug 15, 1994, 3:56:56 AM8/15/94
The fact that Ivanova is not a morning person is significant to
the arc. Why else would JMS put it in "Signs and Portents"?

It could be a number of things. Telepathy could play a role. :)

Steve Sarette

Aug 15, 1994, 1:25:42 PM8/15/94
be...@server.uwindsor.ca (John Benn) writes:

Of course! Ivanova isn't a morning person because she's up all night
practicing mind reading on sleepy gamblers, half snozzled bar flys,
and weary travelers. Wow! Why didn't I think of this?? ;-)

- Steve [who isn't a morning person because
he's up half the night being a
sleepy gambler, a half-snozzled bar fly,
a weary traveler, and just for kicks (when the
adrenaline and alcohol kick in JUST right)
a telepath wannabe.]

Ed Falk

Aug 15, 1994, 6:12:10 PM8/15/94
In article <32klrk...@flop.ENGR.ORST.EDU> hac...@python.CS.ORST.EDU (Dianne Hackborn) writes:
>clav...@nyx.cs.du.edu (The_Doge) wrote thusly:
>| Actually, I thought the reason was indicated in "Legacies"; she
>| has recurring nightmares about her mother's death. That'll kill anybody's
>| good night's sleep.
>| Besides, I'm just glad to see someone in a show who has a tough
>| time getting it together in the morning. Hell, there were NO Night
>| People on the Enterprise, far as I could tell.
>
>Yes!! As if we needed *any* more proof of how cool she is. ;) ;)

She talks about this with Sinclair in one episode:

Ivanova: I have a hard time waking up when it's dark out.
Sinclair: But, in space it's always dark out.
Ivanova: I know, I know.

--
-ed falk, sun microsystems
sun!falk, fa...@sun.com

Ken Alexander

Aug 15, 1994, 9:48:29 PM8/15/94
be...@server.uwindsor.ca (John Benn) writes:
> The fact that Ivanova is not a morning person is significant to
>the arc. Why else would JMS put it in "Signs and Portents"?

The departure of Laurel Takashima left such a void in G'kar's nightlife...

Andrew Arensburger

Aug 16, 1994, 12:54:00 AM8/16/94
In <32lhcs$c...@uuneo.neosoft.com> grey...@new-orleans.neosoft.com (Tal Greywolf) writes:
>Actually, I think Ivanova would use a pair of lines that I generally use.
>
>"'Not a morning person' doesn't even begin to cover it."
>
>and
>
>"I'm awake and out of bed. What more do you want?"

Heh. Might as well post the rest of 'em...

From the Mornings and Coffee section of my auto-sig-generator:

--

"Not a morning person" doesn't even begin to cover it.

--
A morning without coffee is like something without something else.
--
Crankiness....for me it's just as natural as morning.
--
Death before dishonor, but neither before breakfast.
--
Even if I'm not asleep, that doesn't mean I'm awake.
--
I am under the influence of sugar, caffeine, and lack of sleep, and
should not be held responsible for my behavior.
--
I'm out of bed and dressed. What more do you want?
--
Life is much too complicated in the morning.
--
Sleep deprivation is fun--you see such pretty colors.
--
Sleep is for wimps. Happy, healthy, well-rested wimps, but wimps nonetheless.
--
The first cup of coffee recapitulates phylogeny.

rtra...@ulkyvx.louisville.edu

Aug 16, 1994, 12:24:44 PM8/16/94
In article <1994Aug12...@fnalv.fnal.gov>, dam...@fnalv.fnal.gov (Ed Dambik) writes:
> Attention:
> Will the parents of Jason Eric Sexton please claim your child in
> security? The foul-mouthed little brat was found annoying all the
> adults in the vicinity because he thought he saw something that
> wasn't really there. Will the parents of Jason Eric Sexton...
>
> You can send your apology anytime, BTW.
>
> ...please claim your child in security? Will the parents of Jason
> Eric Sexton please claim your child in security?
>
> Attention:
> Will the parents of Jason Eric Sexton...

Actually, what I thought was funny was that he put "spoiler protection" in
just to cuss everyboby out.

Rich

Brian McPherson

Aug 17, 1994, 1:02:03 AM8/17/94

In a previous article, csc...@leeds.ac.uk (A Adams) says:

>: In <32lhcs$c...@uuneo.neosoft.com> grey...@new-orleans.neosoft.com
>: (Tal Greywolf) wrote:
>: > Actually, I think Ivanova would use a pair of lines that I generally use.
>: > "'Not a morning person' doesn't even begin to cover it."
>: > and
>: > "I'm awake and out of bed. What more do you want?"
>: >
>
>Gharlane of Eddore (ghar...@nextnet.csus.edu) followed
>up with his usual stupid trick of setting followups
>to nowhere valid (silly prat):
>: Naw.... it's aftermath of morning sickness.
>: She's pregnant with G'Kar's child.
>: Remember the hot-pink undies?
>
>Nah, Hot pink may be G'Kar's colour, but it's definitely NOT
>Ivanova's - black silk is probably more in her line.

I would guess boxers if any "undies" at all (that is NOT meant as
a rude comment on her preferred choice of sexual partners).
--
**Brian Mc Pherson ag...@freenet.carleton.ca**
"Too often, Adam Smith's `invisible hand` became the hand of the pickpocket.