Casting Call

1 view

Andrew Swallow

Dec 16, 2004, 4:03:37 PM12/16/04
Copy of the casting call dated 13 December 2004 from
http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html

(UK) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only Available By
Subscription.

Title: BABYLON 5: THE MEMORY OF SHADOWS.
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, Adam W. Rosen, Doug Netter;
PRODUCER, Alain Gottesman, J. Michael Straczynski;
DIRECTOR, Steven Beck;
SCREENWRITER, J. Michael Straczynski;
EXTRAS CASTING DIRECTOR, Donald Paul Pemrick, Dean Fronk.
Shoot Dates: Early April, 2005 (in UK).

Breakdown—
Diane Baker: Late 20s or early 30s. A bright and attractive woman. She's
an Earthforce Intelligence Officer in civilian clothes who is reputed to
be one of the best agents in the service. When her beloved brother is
killed in a mysterious explosion on his spacecraft, Diane sets out to
learn what caused the tragedy. She suspects a top-level cover-up - but
before she can get to the root of the problem, she is herself accused of
conspiracy and murder. Despite the efforts of her friend, Elizabeth
Lochley, to shield her, Diane finds herself behind bars, prey to a
corrupt official who will stop at nothing to protect his greedy
self-interest. But to Diane's amazement, the remarkable Galen, a
techno-mage of near-supernatural skill and daring, enlists her help in
unraveling the real mystery behind the recent deaths. Their
investigation reveals that an ancient technology perfected by the mystic
extinct Shadow race is being unleashed upon mankind by some as yet
unknown conspirator. Once unleashed, the huge and all powerful shadow
vessels could enslave the entire galaxy - unless quick steps are taken
to avert calamity. Star Name Only. Lead;
Galen: 30-45. A cloaked, mysterious figure. He appears to be human - but
there's an intensity about him that bespeaks something supernaturally
powerful and enigmatic. Yet there's also something wry and urbane about
Galen, a suggestion that he has humor and wicked wit lurking under his
inscrutable exterior. A techno-mage - one of an ancient sect that used
science to perform apparently miraculous feats - Galen is the guardian
left behind by his kind to ensure that the ancient Shadow technology did
not fall into the wrong hands. Aghast when he realizes that his long
vigilance has been violated, Galen sets out to learn who is behind the
Shadow technology that now threatens the galaxy. He teams with the
feisty Diane in his investigation and he comes to feel real tenderness
for his human ally. A hero and a deeply moral force, Galen stands strong
against the forces of corruption that have been unleashed by his own
people. Star Name Only. Lead;
Colonel Joss Morgan: Late 20s or early 30s. A dashing and handsome
officer with the Earthforce Marines, he is the head of a security
detachment sent to Babylon 5 to protect a contingent of inter-galactic
diplomats who are meeting there. Humorous and daring, Morgan tries to
befriend Elizabeth Lochley, the current commander of Babylon 5, but
she's a bit prickly about having her jurisdiction violated by his
forces. Later, Morgan and his forces prepare to battle the Hunter
Killers unleashed by the evil Tyrell - a virtual suicide mission that
they face with gallantry, bravery and resolve. Star Name Only. Lead;
Tyrell: 35-45. Dark, enigmatic, striking and chilling, he is another
techno-mage, Galen's old childhood rival, who supposedly departed for a
distant sector of the galaxy years ago. Yet Tyrell has been secretly
infiltrating the area, developing the ancient shadow technology and
putting it on sale to the highest bidder. A deadly adversary of
supernatural skill and power, he is not a rogue, as initially suspected.
In fact, he is actually carrying out a mandate of his own kind. When
Galen resists the corruption and madness, Tyrell prepares to battle him
to the death. Star Name Only. Lead.

Aubrey W. Adkins

Dec 16, 2004, 7:57:31 PM12/16/04
Short and sweet. Another 'Hollywood' production to be avoided. It'll be
a waste of money, JMS' involvement not withstanding. Just another piece
of Hollywood action trash.
Aubrey

Moyra J. Bligh

Dec 16, 2004, 11:09:09 PM12/16/04
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 19:57:31 -0500, "Aubrey W. Adkins"
<xazq...@cox.net> wrote:

>Short and sweet. Another 'Hollywood' production to be avoided. It'll be
>a waste of money, JMS' involvement not withstanding. Just another piece
>of Hollywood action trash.

yup - not something I'll be wasting my money on in the theatre.

And it confirms my theory that the original cast/characters were never
going to be included in the first place.

Maybe if the DVD is cheap enough I *might* buy it.

--
Moyra J. Bligh - mo...@zlatna.com
FAQ maintainer - alt.fan.mira-furlan http://www.zlatna.com/MFfaq.html

Jeffrey Kaplan

Dec 17, 2004, 5:51:19 PM12/17/04
Begin Andrew Swallow quote:

;
; (UK) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only Available By
; Subscription.
;
; Title: BABYLON 5: THE MEMORY OF SHADOWS.
; EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, Adam W. Rosen, Doug Netter;
; PRODUCER, Alain Gottesman, J. Michael Straczynski;
; DIRECTOR, Steven Beck;
; SCREENWRITER, J. Michael Straczynski;
; EXTRAS CASTING DIRECTOR, Donald Paul Pemrick, Dean Fronk.
; Shoot Dates: Early April, 2005 (in UK).
;
; Breakdown—

In general, it sounds like what Legend Of The Rangers was possibly
aiming towards.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Zathras, this is very important. When you meet me again it will be me
but it won't be me now. So you're not to say anything to me that might
change the past. Do you understand?" (Amb. Sinclair, B5 "War Without
End, Pt. 1")

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 7:12:50 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Jeffrey Kaplan said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>Begin Andrew Swallow quote:
>
>; Copy of the casting call dated 13 December 2004 from
>; http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html
>;
>; (UK) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only Available By
>; Subscription.
>;
>; Title: BABYLON 5: THE MEMORY OF SHADOWS.
>; EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, Adam W. Rosen, Doug Netter;
>; PRODUCER, Alain Gottesman, J. Michael Straczynski;
>; DIRECTOR, Steven Beck;
>; SCREENWRITER, J. Michael Straczynski;
>; EXTRAS CASTING DIRECTOR, Donald Paul Pemrick, Dean Fronk.
>; Shoot Dates: Early April, 2005 (in UK).
>;
>; Breakdown—
>
>In general, it sounds like what Legend Of The Rangers was possibly
>aiming towards.

In general, it sounds like crap.

**
Captain Infinity

NOS...@nospam.invalid.com

Dec 17, 2004, 7:19:18 PM12/17/04
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 17:51:19 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:

> In general, it sounds like what Legend Of The Rangers was possibly
> aiming towards.

I'd watch it - the list and descriptions of the characters sounds very
interesting.

But I don't want Lochley OR Galen recast - I want to see the familiar
faces. Those characters recast and I'll then probably not want to see the
film, because it'll not be consistant with what I've already seen of those
characters.

Divine

--
Part of Every Woman:
is a MOTHER,

Mac Breck

Dec 17, 2004, 7:45:13 PM12/17/04
"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@world.std.com> wrote in message

> The Time Has Come, Jeffrey Kaplan said
> To Talk Of Many Things...
>
> >Begin Andrew Swallow quote:
> >
> >; Copy of the casting call dated 13 December 2004 from
> >;
http://www.myentertainmentworld.com/mew/audition_newlisting.html
> >;
> >; (UK) - Send pictures & resume ASAP to: Details Are only
Available By
> >; Subscription.
> >;
> >; Title: BABYLON 5: THE MEMORY OF SHADOWS.
> >; EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, Adam W. Rosen, Doug Netter;
> >; PRODUCER, Alain Gottesman, J. Michael Straczynski;
> >; DIRECTOR, Steven Beck;
> >; SCREENWRITER, J. Michael Straczynski;
> >; EXTRAS CASTING DIRECTOR, Donald Paul Pemrick, Dean
Fronk.
> >; Shoot Dates: Early April, 2005 (in UK).
> >;
> >; Breakdown-

> >In general, it sounds like what Legend Of The Rangers was
possibly
> >aiming towards.
>
> In general, it sounds like crap.

In general, it sounds like a great idea that's going to be
turned into crap via needless recasting.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------

"Brimstone" (1998)
The Devil: Nobody beats the Devil. Are you listening? Did
you hear what I said, Mr. Stone? Nobody beats the Devil.
Ezekiel Stone: So you keep telling me. <enjoying his Reggie
Bar> Go to Hell...<smiles and pushes the Down button on the
elevator> ...please.

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 7:57:22 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said

To Talk Of Many Things...

>In general, it sounds like a great idea that's going to be

>turned into crap via needless recasting.

"Needless" is a point of view. I, for one, would love to see someone
other than Tracy "Skeletor" Scoggins as Lochley. She repulses me.

**
Captain Infinity

Mac Breck

Dec 17, 2004, 8:32:29 PM12/17/04
"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@world.std.com> wrote in message

Skeletor? Don't get the ref. Meaning she's like a robot,
"wooden," can't act???

Well, she's embedded in B5, now. She's in all of Season 5,
some of Crusade, and The River of Souls. Initially, I
didn't like her at all (especially in the peanut hairstyle,
which was pulled waaaay too tight; Think Men in Black, when
the farmer's wife tells him his skin looks like it's hanging
off him, and he pulls it tight.<g>), and found her look to
be distracting (unnaturally harsh features) but after seeing
her in a couple of Crusade eps and The River of Souls, I
kinda got used to her.

...but recasting Galen? Argh!!! Peter Woodward *is*
Galen.

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 8:46:17 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>>I, for one, would love to see someone other than

>>Tracy "Skeletor" Scoggins as Lochley. She repulses me.
>
>Skeletor? Don't get the ref. Meaning she's like a robot,
>"wooden," can't act???

Meaning her flesh is pulled tightly over her bones. But yeah, those
others apply, too.

>Well, she's embedded in B5, now. She's in all of Season 5,
>some of Crusade, and The River of Souls.

All of which I dislike. Well, parts of "River Of Souls" are OK.

>Initially, I
>didn't like her at all (especially in the peanut hairstyle,
>which was pulled waaaay too tight; Think Men in Black, when
>the farmer's wife tells him his skin looks like it's hanging
>off him, and he pulls it tight.<g>), and found her look to
>be distracting (unnaturally harsh features)

There ya go; the Skeletor look.

> but after seeing
>her in a couple of Crusade eps and The River of Souls, I
>kinda got used to her.

<<shudder>>

>...but recasting Galen? Argh!!! Peter Woodward *is*
>Galen.

I have mercifully forgotten most of Crusade, so the casting of Galen
gets a big "eh" from me. I don't even know who Peter Woodward is.

**
Captain Infinity

Paul Harper

Dec 17, 2004, 8:51:21 PM12/17/04
On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Swallow
<am.sw...@btopenworld.com> wrote:

>Copy of the casting call dated 13 December 2004 from...

A prime case in point would be the current West Wing series. (Series 6
- Just how many cast changes are we supposed to carry forward?) Here
is a prima facia (sp?) case of major-league cast changes without the
hassle of losing the plot line.

The "old" cast are NOT key to the "way forward". Okay, in the case of
B5 the scriptwriter(s) have dug themselves into a 20-year burrow, but
there are still 20 years to explore.

Sorry, but I am a fan of the writing. A major-league fan.

I don't actually give a sh*t who plays the characters. Honest!

What I want is for the characters AS WRITTEN to be believable, to be
in situations which I can relate to and to behave in a way that I can
understand.

I really don't give a s**t whether it's Bruce or anyone else playing
it.

Honestly - I don't care.

If the *writing* is up to it, it genuinely doesn't matter.

And this is where 100.00000% of my disappointment comes in with the
reactions here. I thought you were fans of B5 and Joe's writing.

I am.

What I *didn't* think was that you were fans of Bruce or Mira or
whatever...

I didn't think you were that trivial.

<sigh> I Guess it's a distance thing...

(and if Joe's fucking with our heads, he's seriously underestimated
the depth of feeling here...)

((p.p.s. I don't think he is.))

Paul.
--
. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.

Mac Breck

Dec 17, 2004, 9:05:08 PM12/17/04

> The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
> To Talk Of Many Things...
>
> >>I, for one, would love to see someone other than
> >>Tracy "Skeletor" Scoggins as Lochley. She repulses me.
> >
> >Skeletor? Don't get the ref. Meaning she's like a
robot,
> >"wooden," can't act???
>
> Meaning her flesh is pulled tightly over her bones. But
yeah, those
> others apply, too.
>
> >Well, she's embedded in B5, now. She's in all of Season
5,
> >some of Crusade, and The River of Souls.
>
> All of which I dislike. Well, parts of "River Of Souls"
are OK.

The Centauri arc of B5 S5 was a helluva lot better than OK.
So was a good portion of Crusade, IMHO.

> >Initially, I
> >didn't like her at all (especially in the peanut
hairstyle,
> >which was pulled waaaay too tight; Think Men in Black,
when
> >the farmer's wife tells him his skin looks like it's
hanging
> >off him, and he pulls it tight.<g>), and found her look
> >be distracting (unnaturally harsh features)
>
> There ya go; the Skeletor look.

There seemed to be almost no way to make her up and light
her to make her look softer, more like a human woman instead
of an artificial construct. Notice how her eyebrows and her
eyebrow bones don't line up (vertically)? How could JMS
cast Pat Tallman ( :D ) on one end of the spectrum and Tracy
Scogins on the other, I don't know.

> >...but recasting Galen? Argh!!! Peter Woodward *is*
> >Galen.
>
> I have mercifully forgotten most of Crusade,

Well, then you wouldn't be interested in B5:TMoS at all.

> so the casting of Galen gets a big "eh" from me.
> I don't even know who Peter Woodward is.

Go watch the pilot episode of Brimstone. He's the villain.

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 9:12:49 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>> >Well, she's embedded in B5, now. She's in all of Season

>> >5, some of Crusade, and The River of Souls.
>>
>> All of which I dislike. Well, parts of "River Of Souls"
>>are OK.
>
>The Centauri arc of B5 S5 was a helluva lot better than OK.

I liked Day Of The Dead and Sleeping In Light. The rest of season 5 was
a waste of time.

>So was a good portion of Crusade, IMHO.

I disagree. Crusade sucked rocks, and I was proud to be part of the
letter campaign to get it canceled.

**
Captain Infinity

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 9:14:08 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Paul Harper said

To Talk Of Many Things...

>On Thu, 16 Dec 2004 21:03:37 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Swallow

Hey Paul...this crap belongs on the moderated group. We don't kiss ass
here.

**
Captain Infinity

Paul Harper

Dec 17, 2004, 9:18:49 PM12/17/04
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:14:08 -0500, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@world.std.com> wrote:

>Hey Paul...this crap belongs on the moderated group. We don't kiss ass
>here.

Check it out. 'tis already there...

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 9:20:01 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Paul Harper said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:14:08 -0500, Captain Infinity

><Infi...@world.std.com> wrote:
>
>>Hey Paul...this crap belongs on the moderated group. We don't kiss ass
>>here.
>
>Check it out. 'tis already there...
>
>Paul.

Oh. Well, good luck with that, then.

**
Captain Infinity

Paul Harper

Dec 17, 2004, 9:23:16 PM12/17/04
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:20:01 -0500, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@world.std.com> wrote:

>The Time Has Come, Paul Harper said
>To Talk Of Many Things...
>
>>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:14:08 -0500, Captain Infinity
>><Infi...@world.std.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hey Paul...this crap belongs on the moderated group. We don't kiss ass
>>>here.
>>
>>Check it out. 'tis already there...
>>
>>Paul.
>
>Oh. Well, good luck with that, then.

You *are* joking.... Never in the field of human conflict have so many
sad fanboys got into such a tissie about so little so quickly...

Of course, they won't come *here* and defend it.

Ho hum...

NOS...@nospam.invalid.com

Dec 17, 2004, 9:30:40 PM12/17/04
On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 01:51:21 +0000, Paul Harper wrote:

> I really don't give a s**t whether it's Bruce or anyone else playing it.
>
> Honestly - I don't care.
>
> If the *writing* is up to it, it genuinely doesn't matter.

A story that hinges around characters relies on the work of actors and
actresses to bring those characters to life. Actors and Actresses draw
from their own personal experience in order to bring those characters to
life.

If you want believable characters then you need Actors and Actresses as
well as the script that the actors and actresses need in order to tell the
story.

The script is but one component, albeit an important component, of the
whole. Every other component, including directors and actors/actresses, is
just as important to the telling of a story in a true and believable
manner.

Change the actor/actress and you change the character - actors and
actresses are *that* important to the truth of a character.

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 9:34:21 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Paul Harper said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>You *are* joking.... Never in the field of human conflict have so many

>sad fanboys got into such a tissie about so little so quickly...
>
>Of course, they won't come *here* and defend it.
>
>Ho hum...

I find it all very entertaining. Anything that gets B5 fans' panties in
a twist, I'm right there to tug on the elastic waistband.

This promises to be an interesting sci-fi adventure. It'll be a shame
when the movie comes out, if it ever does, because then it will all come
to an end.

**
Captain Infinity
...unless they cast Tom Hanks as Sheridan. That would be COOL!

NOS...@nospam.invalid.com

Dec 17, 2004, 9:34:45 PM12/17/04
On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:12:49 -0500, Captain Infinity wrote:

> and I was proud to be part of the
> letter campaign to get it canceled.

<sudden indrawing of breath>

Trator!!

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 9:36:51 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, NOS...@NOSPAM.invalid.com said

To Talk Of Many Things...

>On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 21:12:49 -0500, Captain Infinity wrote:

>> and I was proud to be part of the
>> letter campaign to get it canceled.
>
><sudden indrawing of breath>
>
>Trator!!

Illiterate!

**
Captain Infinity

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 9:35:57 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, NOS...@NOSPAM.invalid.com said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>Part of Every Woman:

>is a MOTHER,
>Part of Every Woman:
>is an ACTRESS,
>Part of Every Woman:
>is a SAINT,
>Part of Every Woman:
>is a SINNER,
>And Part of Every Man:
>is a WOMAN.

What a load of crap.

**
Captain Infinity

Mac Breck

Dec 17, 2004, 10:16:35 PM12/17/04

> The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
> To Talk Of Many Things...

Season

> >> All of which I dislike. Well, parts of "River Of
Souls"
> >>are OK.
> >
> >The Centauri arc of B5 S5 was a helluva lot better than
OK.

> I liked Day Of The Dead and Sleeping In Light. The rest
of season 5 was
> a waste of time.

The only part of Season 5 that was a waste of time was when
Byron was on camera.

> >So was a good portion of Crusade, IMHO.
>
> I disagree. Crusade sucked rocks,

Well, we massively disagree. Did you even *see* all of
Crusade? For an example of a Peter Woodward/Galen ep, I
would have suggested The Path of Sorrows, or The Well of
Forever.

> and I was proud to be part of the
> letter campaign to get it canceled.

And little did you know that your letters were never needed.
It was cancelled months before you wrote anything, cancelled
because sci-fi and the TNT audience go together like oil &
water.

I've never taken part in a letter writing campaign to get
something cancelled. There are soooo many things that I'd
love to see cancelled:

all of Reality TV.
all WWE/WWF.
at least 80% of the sitcoms.
everything on TNT.
90% of the programs on FOX and The Sci-Fi Channel.

Did you see this?
"fox moves up 'point pleasant' premiere"
supernatural drama to open jan. 19 following 'american idol'
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/gofuton.cgi?action=pr&id=20041217fox01

Why bother starting to watch it? They'll just cancel it in
3 or 4 episodes, if it's good, and renew it if it's crap.

Captain Infinity

Dec 17, 2004, 10:30:14 PM12/17/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>>Crusade sucked rocks,

>Well, we massively disagree. Did you even *see* all of
>Crusade?

Hell no. That garbage lost me as a viewer after 3 episodes. I barely
managed to stop puking long enough to change the channel.

**
Captain Infinity

Alpe97

Dec 17, 2004, 10:54:20 PM12/17/04
In article <qh57s0lee9q7vppv3...@4ax.com>, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@world.std.com> writes:

>I find it all very entertaining. Anything that gets B5 fans' panties in
>a twist, I'm right there to tug on the elastic waistband.
>
>This promises to be an interesting sci-fi adventure. It'll be a shame
>when the movie comes out, if it ever does, because then it will all come
>to an end.

So you admit you're just an asshole and troll. Let's see how well killfile
works on you!

Captain Infinity

Dec 18, 2004, 8:37:19 AM12/18/04
The Time Has Come, Alpe97 said

To Talk Of Many Things...

>In article <qh57s0lee9q7vppv3...@4ax.com>, Captain Infinity

Ho! Haha! Guard! Turn! Parry! Dodge! Spin! Ha! Thrust!

**
Captain Infinity
...Hey Alpo, who let you out of the moderated playpen?
They need to fix their locks over there.

Mac Breck

Dec 18, 2004, 1:34:05 PM12/18/04
"Captain Infinity" <Infi...@world.std.com> wrote in message

Wish you could be forced to watch it, 24/7/365, all 13
episodes, on a continuous loop, for a year.

Captain Infinity

Dec 18, 2004, 7:29:07 PM12/18/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>Wish you could be forced to watch it, 24/7/365, all 13

>episodes, on a continuous loop, for a year.

Bitter much?

**
Captain Infinity

Mac Breck

Dec 18, 2004, 11:32:47 PM12/18/04

> The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
> To Talk Of Many Things...
>
> >Wish you could be forced to watch it, 24/7/365, all 13
> >episodes, on a continuous loop, for a year.
>
> Bitter much?

What over BS troll posts? When I see yet another f-ing
troll on the usenet, or when a network cancels yet another
good show, usually after a couple of episodes, combined with
moving the thing around, and/or when I see reality shit
thrive, ...well, those are some of the paths to my short
fuse. Other than that, I'm pretty easy goin'.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------
"Babylon 5: Crusade" (1999)
Gideon: I thought you said you don't hold a grudge.
Galen: I don't. I have no surviving enemies... at all.

"Brimstone" (1998)

Captain Infinity

Dec 19, 2004, 1:59:26 PM12/19/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>> >Wish you could be forced to watch it, 24/7/365, all 13
>> >episodes, on a continuous loop, for a year.
>>
>> Bitter much?
>
>What over BS troll posts? When I see yet another f-ing
>troll on the usenet, or when a network cancels yet another
>good show, usually after a couple of episodes, combined with
>moving the thing around, and/or when I see reality shit
>thrive, ...well, those are some of the paths to my short
>fuse. Other than that, I'm pretty easy goin'.

I find it interesting that as soon as someone disagrees with you over
the quality of a program you immediately label their posts "troll
posts". This sort of thing has taken a definite upswing on Usenet in
the past few months. It's an interesting phenomenon, and I suspect it's
due to the fact that the people who cry "troll" are unable to support
their positions about the quality of the program under discussion.

For the record, I *loved* Babylon 5. It's one of my favorite shows of
all time. It was well written, well acted, and had magnificent
production values in spite of numerous hardships in that area. With the
exception of parts of season 5 it is almost flawless in execution and
style.

Crusade, on the other hand, was a hack job. It was poorly written and
produced, and the acting stunk on ice. I gave up on it very early as it
turned my stomach. It was worse than Voyager, though not quite as bad
as Firefly.

I loved "In The Beginning", "The Gathering" and parts of "River Of
Souls". I disliked "A Call To Arms" and "Legend Of The Rangers". I
have only seen "Thirdspace" over a number of repeated viewings, because
I have been constitutionally unable to watch the entire wretched thing
in one sitting.

If you think that by expressing these opinions I am somehow "trolling"
you I suggest you just killfile me now and clean me off your Usenet. If
you're looking for unadorned adoration of everything that drops out of
JMS' pen you're in the wrong group; moderated is the playpen you're
looking for. RASTB5 has always presented a more realistic tone of
feedback on the qualities of the B5 programs. I doubt that fanboys like
yourself are going to change that reality.

**
Captain Infinity

Moyra J. Bligh

Dec 19, 2004, 3:14:52 PM12/19/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:59:26 -0500, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@world.std.com> wrote:

>Crusade, on the other hand, was a hack job. It was poorly written and
>produced, and the acting stunk on ice. I gave up on it very early as it
>turned my stomach. It was worse than Voyager, though not quite as bad
>as Firefly.

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/574/574145p1.html

<excerpt>
With the aborted 13-episode run of Crusade (Warner Bros., Not Rated,
DVD-$59.95 SRP), J. Michael Straczynski managed to completely decimate
any of the goodwill he had build up over the course of the 5-year run
of his mostly stellar Babylon 5. Where B5 was nuanced, well-written,
and well-cast, Crusade was a bastardized mish-mash of lackluster
writing, poor realization, and unfortunate casting. Hey, but now you
can judge for yourself with the release of the complete run, which
also features a few audio commentaries and a pair of behind-the-scenes
documentaries (sadly, JMS does not admit the true origins of the
concept in any of them).
</excerpt>

pretty much sums up how I feel too.

--
Moyra J. Bligh - mo...@zlatna.com
FAQ maintainer - alt.fan.mira-furlan http://www.zlatna.com/MFfaq.html
Mira Furlan & Goran Gajic - come join The Celebration
http://www.zlatna.com/gold.html

Mac Breck

Dec 19, 2004, 5:12:12 PM12/19/04

> The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
> To Talk Of Many Things...

> >> Bitter much?
> >
> >What over BS troll posts? When I see yet another f-ing
> >troll on the usenet, or when a network cancels yet
another
> >good show, usually after a couple of episodes, combined
with
> >moving the thing around, and/or when I see reality shit
> >thrive, ...well, those are some of the paths to my short
> >fuse. Other than that, I'm pretty easy goin'.
>
> I find it interesting that as soon as someone disagrees
with you over
> the quality of a program you immediately label their posts
"troll
> posts".

Troll: An electronic mail message, Usenet posting or other
(electronic) communication which is intentionally incorrect,
but not overtly controversial (compare flame bait), or the
act of sending such a message. Trolling aims to elicit an
emotional reaction from those with a hair-trigger on the
reply key.

While your post being "intentionally incorrect" may not fit
the definition, and it *was* "overtly controversial," it
definitely was intended to elicit an emotional reaction from
those with a hair-trigger on the reply key.

> This sort of thing has taken a definite upswing on Usenet
in
> the past few months. It's an interesting phenomenon, and
I suspect it's
> due to the fact that the people who cry "troll" are unable
to support
> their positions about the quality of the program under
discussion.

The buffing of your halo still needs more work.

> For the record, I *loved* Babylon 5. It's one of my
favorite shows of
> all time. It was well written, well acted, and had
magnificent
> production values in spite of numerous hardships in that
area. With the
> exception of parts of season 5 it is almost flawless in
execution and
> style.

Your previous comments suggested a far less high regard for
Season 5 than you are displaying here.

> Crusade, on the other hand, was a hack job.

Partly true, and the hacks let into the process were from
TNT-Atlanta.

> It was poorly written

In a couple of places in a couple of episodes, that is true.
Maybe those episodes are the only ones you saw. Overall
though, that's dead wrong.

> and produced,

Poorly produced? Please cite specific examples. What are
you going to do, grouse about the uniform change, the
obvious artificial look of the Galen homunculus, or the
goofy prosthetics of the aliens in "Visitors from Down the
Street" ?

> and the acting stunk on ice.

For one main character, Dr. Susan Chambers (Marjean Holden),
that's mainly true. For a few of the guest cast (e.g. Tim
Thomerson in "War Zone"), that's also true. Overall though,
that's dead wrong.

> I gave up on it very early as it turned my stomach.

I didn't, and I'm glad that I didn't. Initially, in TNT's
order, *I* wasn't thrilled with it. They led off with two
of the worse episodes.

> It was worse than Voyager,

Now *that's* an insult.

> though not quite as bad as Firefly.

I found Firefly to be entertaining, and enjoyed the
characters and the banter between them. I only found two
episodes of Voyager to be even visually entertaining, and
that was from a CGI perspective.

> I loved "In The Beginning", "The Gathering" and parts of
"River Of
> Souls".

"Love" is a little too strong for me, when speaking of even
parts of "The River of Souls." Like, yes, love, no.

> I disliked "A Call To Arms" and "Legend Of The Rangers".

I very much liked all but a few spots in "A Call to Arms"
and hated all but a few spots in "To Live and Die in
Starlight." To me, they're polar opposites.

> have only seen "Thirdspace" over a number of repeated
viewings, because
> I have been constitutionally unable to watch the entire
wretched thing
> in one sitting.

Very good CGI and some nice shots of Lyta, but that's about
it for the good parts. It was supposed to evoke a sense of
horror, and it didn't do that for me. Not at all. That one
was a misfire.

> If you think that by expressing these opinions I am
somehow "trolling"

No, I think your comments in previous posts on this subject,
are trolling and inflamatory, e.g.:

"In general, it sounds like crap." - referring to B5:TMoS.

"Crusade sucked rocks, and I was proud to be part of the

letter campaign to get it canceled."

>Well, we massively disagree. Did you even *see* all of

>Crusade?
"Hell no. That garbage lost me as a viewer after 3
episodes. I barely managed to stop puking long enough to
change the channel."

"Anything that gets B5 fans' panties in a twist, I'm right

there to tug on the elastic waistband."

Looks like a trollish behavior to me.

Three episodes? So you saw what?...

War Zone - the episode with the most TNT-mandated crap in
it. (Still, I like its Eilerson bits.)
The Long Road - what JMS describes as the weakest of his
scripts. (Liked Peter and Edward Woodward in it, though.)
The Well of Forever - It's a character piece, and was shown
too early in the run (too early for them to be taking a
break, not actively searching for the cure.)

Perhaps, you didn't see the first three in the TNT run.
Which eps did you see?
Check here for descriptions:
http://epguides.com/Crusade/guide.shtml#ep001

> you I suggest you just killfile me now and clean me off
your Usenet. If
> you're looking for unadorned adoration of everything that
drops out of
> JMS' pen you're in the wrong group; moderated is the
playpen you're
> looking for.

I'm looking for posts more like this one, ones with more
rational, less inflamatory remarks.

> RASTB5 has always presented a more realistic tone of
> feedback on the qualities of the B5 programs. I doubt
that fanboys like
> yourself are going to change that reality.

There you go, mischaracterizing me. If I was a fanboy, JMS
would probably still be speaking to me.

Captain Infinity

Dec 19, 2004, 5:39:34 PM12/19/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>While your post being "intentionally incorrect" may not fit

>the definition, and it *was* "overtly controversial," it
>definitely was intended to elicit an emotional reaction from
>those with a hair-trigger on the reply key.

I cannot be held responsible for the actions of others. If someone is
unable to control their own hair-triggers it's not my problem.

>> For the record, I *loved* Babylon 5. It's one of my
>favorite shows of
>> all time. It was well written, well acted, and had
>magnificent
>> production values in spite of numerous hardships in that
>area. With the
>> exception of parts of season 5 it is almost flawless in
>execution and
>> style.

You need to fix some setting in your newsreader. It keeps mangling line
lengths.

>Your previous comments suggested a far less high regard for
>Season 5 than you are displaying here.

I have mentally blocked out most of season 5. I remember enjoying Day
Of The Dead and Sleeping in Light. I remember hating everything about
Byron except two scene: where he astrally projects some B5 janitor to
the controls of a Star Fury, and where he gets turned to ash. I cannot
remember anything else about season 5.

I own the first four seasons of B5 on DVD but I will not buy season 5,
nor will I ever intentionally watch the broadcast repeats. For me,
Babylon 5 ended with "Get the hell out of our galaxy!"

>> Crusade, on the other hand, was a hack job.
>
>Partly true, and the hacks let into the process were from
>TNT-Atlanta.

What does it matter where the fault lies? The series is too flawed for
me to enjoy. I don't care why.

>> It was poorly written
>
>In a couple of places in a couple of episodes, that is true.
>Maybe those episodes are the only ones you saw. Overall
>though, that's dead wrong.

Obviously we have different tastes in writing.

>> and produced,
>
>Poorly produced? Please cite specific examples. What are
>you going to do, grouse about the uniform change, the
>obvious artificial look of the Galen homunculus, or the
>goofy prosthetics of the aliens in "Visitors from Down the
>Street" ?

You clearly know more about the crappy production values than I do.
I'll let your expertise prove my point.

>> and the acting stunk on ice.
>
>For one main character, Dr. Susan Chambers (Marjean Holden),
>that's mainly true. For a few of the guest cast (e.g. Tim
>Thomerson in "War Zone"), that's also true. Overall though,
>that's dead wrong.

I'm sorry, I just can't get past Mr. Brady as a starship captain or
Skeletor as B5 commander.

>> If you think that by expressing these opinions I am
>somehow "trolling"
>
>No, I think your comments in previous posts on this subject,
>are trolling and inflamatory, e.g.:
>
>"In general, it sounds like crap." - referring to B5:TMoS.

From what I read, it sounds as if TMOS will be turned into very
expensive crap. If that opinion is inflammatory it's only because B5
fanboys are unable to realistically perceive crap when it's shoved in
their faces.

>"Crusade sucked rocks, and I was proud to be part of the
>letter campaign to get it canceled."
>
>>Well, we massively disagree. Did you even *see* all of
>>Crusade?
>"Hell no. That garbage lost me as a viewer after 3
>episodes. I barely managed to stop puking long enough to
>change the channel."
>
>"Anything that gets B5 fans' panties in a twist, I'm right
>there to tug on the elastic waistband."
>
>Looks like a trollish behavior to me.

It's all blunt, honest opinion. You can label it "trollish behavior" if
you want, I don't care. You clearly perceive "trollish behavior" to be
based on the reactions rather than the cause. But as I said earlier, I
am not responsible for anyone hitting the red alert button just because
their own knees are busy jerking.

>Three episodes? So you saw what?...
>
>War Zone - the episode with the most TNT-mandated crap in
>it. (Still, I like its Eilerson bits.)
>The Long Road - what JMS describes as the weakest of his
>scripts. (Liked Peter and Edward Woodward in it, though.)
>The Well of Forever - It's a character piece, and was shown
>too early in the run (too early for them to be taking a
>break, not actively searching for the cure.)

I don't know which three episodes. I don't think it was the first three
consecutive episodes. I know I saw the very first episode, and was
disappointed. Whether I tuned in for the next two in a row I cannot
say. And I certainly don't know the episode titles.

I've flushed most of it out of my memory.

>Perhaps, you didn't see the first three in the TNT run.
>Which eps did you see?
>Check here for descriptions:
>http://epguides.com/Crusade/guide.shtml#ep001

No. I have no interest in revisiting the series. I hated it and am
glad it's gone.

>> you I suggest you just killfile me now and clean me off
>your Usenet. If
>> you're looking for unadorned adoration of everything that
>drops out of
>> JMS' pen you're in the wrong group; moderated is the
>playpen you're
>> looking for.
>
>I'm looking for posts more like this one, ones with more
>rational, less inflamatory remarks.

Bite me. I'll write whatever I feel like writing. It's totally up to
you whether you read it, read it and respond in a kneejerk inflammatory
manner, or just tune it out entirely. *You* are responsible for the way
you respond, not I. If you find my posts inflammatory that's *your*
problem, not mine.

**
Captain Infinity

Mac Breck

Dec 19, 2004, 6:27:17 PM12/19/04
"Moyra J. Bligh" <mo...@zlatna.com> wrote in message

> On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 13:59:26 -0500, Captain Infinity
> <Infi...@world.std.com> wrote:
>
> >Crusade, on the other hand, was a hack job. It was
poorly written and
> >produced, and the acting stunk on ice. I gave up on it
very early as it
> >turned my stomach. It was worse than Voyager, though not
quite as bad
> >as Firefly.
>
> http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/574/574145p1.html
>
> <excerpt>
> With the aborted 13-episode run of Crusade (Warner Bros.,
Not Rated,
> DVD-$59.95 SRP), J. Michael Straczynski managed to
completely decimate
> any of the goodwill he had build up over the course of the
5-year run
> of his mostly stellar Babylon 5. Where B5 was nuanced,
well-written,
> and well-cast, Crusade was a bastardized mish-mash of

I'd LOVE to see *their* specific Crusade examples of the
following:

> lackluster writing,
A couple of lines, here and there, were painfully bad.
Other than those lines, I thought Crusade was fine.

> poor realization,
??? Meaning what, specifically?

Production values?
- Crappy new prosthetics ("Visitors from Down the Street")?
- CGI that didn't quite rise to the challenge (Not
surprising of their budget!)? CGI-wise, Crusade was a much
more demanding show, and harder on the budget.
- Fake looking fight scenes (1st one in "War Zone," Trace
getting beat up in "Ruling from the Tomb," Chambers beating
up Mueller in "Rules of the Game")?

NOT writing 13 episodes that *could* be shown back-to-back,
i.e. no holes in the run? (like Tim Minear said he did with
"Wonderfalls.")

> and unfortunate casting.

Main Cast?
Well, Marjean Holden would be my pick (Generally
unconvincing as a doctor. Had a stagey fight scene.). Less
so, Tracy Scoggins, but we're stuck with her because of B5
Season 5.

Guest Cast?
Senator McQuate/Tim Thomerson in "War Zone."
Doctor Alain Lebecque/John Novak in "Ruling from the Tomb"
The voice actress for Joan of Arc (Sounds like Yasemin
Baytok the Centauri Woman "Senna" from "In the Beginning" -
wish she'd clear her throat. Man I *hate* that accent.)

> Hey, but now you
> can judge for yourself with the release of the complete
run, which
> also features a few audio commentaries and a pair of
behind-the-scenes
> documentaries (sadly, JMS does not admit the true origins
of the
> concept in any of them).
> </excerpt>
>
> pretty much sums up how I feel too.

Since you agree, what concept is the reviewer talking about?

Simon Summerfield

Dec 19, 2004, 7:16:19 PM12/19/04
Mac Breck wrote:

> ...but recasting Galen? Argh!!! Peter Woodward *is*
> Galen.

I suspect that this may be due to Peter Woodward not
being available or doesn't want the job.

I have no evidence to back this up, but I just feel
that Peter Woodward is a big enough name (by association
with his father if for no other reason) and a good enough
actor to be retained if he wanted it...unless some stupid
Hollywood studio exec wants an American in the role -
because naturally every important, powerful good guy in
the future will have an American accent!
Simon.

Mac Breck

Dec 19, 2004, 7:20:11 PM12/19/04

> The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
> To Talk Of Many Things...
>
> >While your post being "intentionally incorrect" may not
fit
> >the definition, and it *was* "overtly controversial," it
> >definitely was intended to elicit an emotional reaction
from
> >those with a hair-trigger on the reply key.
>
> I cannot be held responsible for the actions of others.
If someone is
> unable to control their own hair-triggers it's not my
problem.

Irrelevent. *You* were trolling, and *you* were objecting
to being labeled a troll. What part of that connection
don't you see?

Not one of my favorite lines.

> >> Crusade, on the other hand, was a hack job.
> >
> >Partly true, and the hacks let into the process were from
> >TNT-Atlanta.
>
> What does it matter where the fault lies? The series is
too flawed for
> me to enjoy. I don't care why.

It's still better than 99% of the sci-fi on today, thousands
of times better than the Legend of the Rangers pilot.

> >> It was poorly written
> >
> >In a couple of places in a couple of episodes, that is
true.
> >Maybe those episodes are the only ones you saw. Overall
> >though, that's dead wrong.
>
> Obviously we have different tastes in writing.

Depends on what you saw, which I guess we'll never know.

> >> and produced,
> >
> >Poorly produced? Please cite specific examples. What
are
> >you going to do, grouse about the uniform change, the
> >obvious artificial look of the Galen homunculus, or the
> >goofy prosthetics of the aliens in "Visitors from Down
the
> >Street" ?
>
> You clearly know more about the crappy production values
than I do.
> I'll let your expertise prove my point.

Well, *somebody* has to bring up some specifics as proof,
and it sure as hell doesn't look like it's going to be you.

For me, a few bad things do not negate all the good things
in the series. Evidently, they do/did for you. Still,
we'll never know because you're unable to cite specifics and
instead just want to make blanket statements about Crusade.

> >> and the acting stunk on ice.
> >
> >For one main character, Dr. Susan Chambers (Marjean
Holden),
> >that's mainly true. For a few of the guest cast (e.g.
Tim
> >Thomerson in "War Zone"), that's also true. Overall
though,
> >that's dead wrong.
>
> I'm sorry, I just can't get past Mr. Brady as a starship
captain or
> Skeletor as B5 commander.

Well then maybe it's a good thing that I never watched the
Brady Bunch, the TV series or the movies. Not my kind of
thing. Mr. Brady gambled, sometimes used shady means to get
to the desired good endpoint, got in barfights? Stuff like
that?

> >> If you think that by expressing these opinions I am
> >somehow "trolling"
> >
> >No, I think your comments in previous posts on this
subject,
> >are trolling and inflamatory, e.g.:
> >
> >"In general, it sounds like crap." - referring to
B5:TMoS.

> From what I read, it sounds as if TMOS will be turned into
very
> expensive crap.

Probably not all that expensive, since I can't see Warner
Brothers putting up much money for a B5-universe feature
film. As to it turning into crap, well that's entirely
possible, IF the recasting rumors are true.

> If that opinion is inflammatory it's only because B5
> fanboys are unable to realistically perceive crap when
it's shoved in
> their faces.

BS. The story doesn't sound like crap. If recasting
happens though, it will very likely turn *into* crap.

> >"Crusade sucked rocks, and I was proud to be part of the
> >letter campaign to get it canceled."
> >

> >>Well, we massively disagree. Did you even *see* all of
> >>Crusade?
> >"Hell no. That garbage lost me as a viewer after 3
> >episodes. I barely managed to stop puking long enough to
> >change the channel."

And you don't see why others see comments like that as
imflammatory? Oh innocent you with the halo.

> >"Anything that gets B5 fans' panties in a twist, I'm
right
> >there to tug on the elastic waistband."
> >
> >Looks like a trollish behavior to me.
>
> It's all blunt, honest opinion.

"Anything that gets B5 fans' panties in a twist, I'm right

there to tug on the elastic waistband." is blunt honest
opinion??? No, that signifies INTENT, and you know it.

> You can label it "trollish behavior"

Any reasonable person would. Anybody not trying to duck it,
would.

> if
> you want, I don't care. You clearly perceive "trollish
behavior" to be
> based on the reactions rather than the cause.

Your words are meant to elicit an emotional response. They
are *intended* to anger, irritate, or as you say "get B5
fans' panties in a twist." I object to people, like
yourself, spreading BS about what they know little or
nothing about.

> But as I said earlier, I
> am not responsible for anyone hitting the red alert button
just because
> their own knees are busy jerking.

You have to take responsibility for your own words, and they
were clearly there to elicit a response. If I went on
a...lets say a Trek newsgroup and said Voyager sucked rocks
and that the acting stunk on ice, that would be trolling.
*I* don't do that.

> >Three episodes? So you saw what?...
> >
> >War Zone - the episode with the most TNT-mandated crap in
> >it. (Still, I like its Eilerson bits.)
> >The Long Road - what JMS describes as the weakest of his
> >scripts. (Liked Peter and Edward Woodward in it, though.)
> >The Well of Forever - It's a character piece, and was
shown
> >too early in the run (too early for them to be taking a
> >break, not actively searching for the cure.)
>
> I don't know which three episodes.

Boy I knew that was coming. Criticism from a basis of a
lack of knowledge. Yeah, that's really valuable.

> I don't think it was the first three
> consecutive episodes. I know I saw the very first
episode,

On TNT, that would be "War Zone."
On Sci-Fi, that would be "Racing the Night."

> and was
> disappointed. Whether I tuned in for the next two in a
row I cannot
> say. And I certainly don't know the episode titles.
>
> I've flushed most of it out of my memory.

Well, if you want to defend your position (That'll be the
day.), you'd better flush it back in.

> >Perhaps, you didn't see the first three in the TNT run.
> >Which eps did you see?
> >Check here for descriptions:
> >http://epguides.com/Crusade/guide.shtml#ep001
>
> No. I have no interest in revisiting the series.

Yet you're clearly interested in trashing every opportunity
you can. Trashing what you can barely remember. Trashing
what you wrote a letter about, in hopes of getting the
series cancelled. Man, I don't do that, even for reality TV
crap.

> I hated it and am glad it's gone.

You didn't see enough of it to say what you're saying.
Fine, I don't care either. You saw 23% of it, and don't
know which eps., and hate it all even though you can't
remember exactly why.

> >> you I suggest you just killfile me now and clean me off
> >your Usenet. If
> >> you're looking for unadorned adoration of everything
that
> >drops out of
> >> JMS' pen you're in the wrong group; moderated is the
> >playpen you're
> >> looking for.
> >
> >I'm looking for posts more like this one, ones with more
> >rational, less inflamatory remarks.
>
> Bite me. I'll write whatever I feel like writing. It's
totally up to
> you whether you read it, read it and respond in a kneejerk
inflammatory
> manner, or just tune it out entirely. *You* are
responsible for the way
> you respond, not I. If you find my posts inflammatory
that's *your*
> problem, not mine.

Ah, the hell with it. Right back at ya with the "Bite me."
You're killfiled as of now. *PLONK*

Captain Infinity

Dec 19, 2004, 7:28:47 PM12/19/04
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>You're killfiled as of now. *PLONK*

Thank god. What a dipshit.

**
Captain Infinity

Simon Summerfield

Dec 19, 2004, 7:41:03 PM12/19/04
Captain Infinity wrote:

> I find it interesting that as soon as someone disagrees with you over
> the quality of a program you immediately label their posts "troll
> posts". This sort of thing has taken a definite upswing on Usenet in
> the past few months. It's an interesting phenomenon, and I suspect it's
> due to the fact that the people who cry "troll" are unable to support
> their positions about the quality of the program under discussion.

I think you crossed the line into Trolls-ville when you mentioned
the letter-writing campaign to get Crusade cancelled. That was
deliberately provocative to promote an extreme reaction, ergo troll.

> For the record, I *loved* Babylon 5. It's one of my favorite shows of
> all time. It was well written, well acted, and had magnificent
> production values in spite of numerous hardships in that area. With the
> exception of parts of season 5 it is almost flawless in execution and
> style.

I think you'll have fairly universal agreement that season 5 of B5
was weaker than the rest, and that Byron really sucked ass severely.
But the Centauri arc produced 4 episodes that could stand up alongside
anything seen in the first 4 seasons...the 4 episodes concluding with
The Fall of Centauri Prime. Plus the standalone episdoes Day of the
Dead and A View from the Gallery made about a quarter of season 5
as good as anything seen earlier.

> Crusade, on the other hand, was a hack job. It was poorly written and
> produced, and the acting stunk on ice. I gave up on it very early as it
> turned my stomach. It was worse than Voyager, though not quite as bad
> as Firefly.

Crusade didn't turn out great, thanks mainly to the studio-enforced
changes, but I think the concept had promise. If only it had been
allowed to progress uncorrupted. But it didn't, so your criticisms
of it are valid.

And I totally agree with you about Firefly. Joss Whedon should stay
away from SF and stick with pop-culture fantasy.
Simon.

Captain Infinity

Dec 19, 2004, 7:49:05 PM12/19/04
The Time Has Come, Simon Summerfield said

To Talk Of Many Things...

>I think you crossed the line into Trolls-ville when you mentioned

>the letter-writing campaign to get Crusade cancelled. That was
>deliberately provocative to promote an extreme reaction, ergo troll.

It was a fact, though. Check Google. The letter writing campaign was a
topic of discussion back in 1999. Should I ignore historical facts when
I write about the series today?

**
Captain Infinity

Mac Breck

Dec 19, 2004, 7:49:37 PM12/19/04
"Simon Summerfield" <sim...@unimelb.edu.au> wrote in
message news:41C619D1...@unimelb.edu.au...

> Mac Breck wrote:
> >
> > ...but recasting Galen? Argh!!! Peter Woodward *is*
> > Galen.
>
> I suspect that this may be due to Peter Woodward not
> being available

Could be.

> or doesn't want the job.

"Doesn't seem likely, now does it?" ...given how he sounded
on the DVD Commentary for "The Well of Forever." <g>

> I have no evidence to back this up, but I just feel
> that Peter Woodward is a big enough name (by association
> with his father if for no other reason)

Why, because Edward Woodward had that "The Equalizer" TV
series from 1985 to 1989? I doubt that Edward is very
widely known here in the USA, these days.

Peter did have a couple of shows on cable:

"Conquest" for the History Channel
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0357358/

"Egypt Beyond the Pyramids"
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289174/
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0289174/usercomments
"...with that modulated voice, can make even a most
uneventful dig seem exciting."

Given that last comment, little wonder he was cast as a
Technomage.<g>

> and a good enough
> actor to be retained if he wanted it.

True, although some in the UK are undoubtedly rejoicing at
his character being recast (Some hated his accent,
enunciation and demeanor.)

> ...unless some stupid
> Hollywood studio exec wants an American in the role -
> because naturally every important, powerful good guy in
> the future will have an American accent!

Studio suit logic is often hard to follow, because it's
usually incredibly flawed, filled with incorrect premises.

Simon Summerfield

Dec 19, 2004, 8:28:40 PM12/19/04
Captain Infinity wrote:

> It was a fact, though. Check Google. The letter writing campaign was a
> topic of discussion back in 1999. Should I ignore historical facts when
> I write about the series today?

No, but you didn't *need* to mention it. It's something
that isn't actually relevant if you are arguing why Crusade
was crap. It was a *result* of Crusade being crap, not a
reason for it being crap.

And you knew how the fanboys would react. Are you trying
to tell us it wasn't meant to be deliberately provocative?
You can't really take offence at being called a troll when
you start to smell like one! :-)
Simon.

Paul Harper

Dec 20, 2004, 1:09:52 AM12/20/04
On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 17:39:34 -0500, Captain Infinity
<Infi...@world.std.com> wrote:

>For me,
>Babylon 5 ended with "Get the hell out of our galaxy!"

To a large extent, I agree. However, re-watching season 5 on DVD
lately, the telepath "war" was actually little more than an extended
local spat with some very bad songwriting thrown in but extended
several episodes beyond its natural life.

Ignore (or fast-forward) through that bit and it's not too bad.

Not up to seasons 1-4, sure, but not too bad. And the back end of the
season was really quite good.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Dec 20, 2004, 2:31:32 AM12/20/04
Begin Paul Harper quote:

; To a large extent, I agree. However, re-watching season 5 on DVD

; lately, the telepath "war" was actually little more than an extended
; local spat with some very bad songwriting thrown in but extended
; several episodes beyond its natural life.

That wasn't the war. That was the "shot heard round the galaxy". It
was a main contributor to the war, but not the war.

; Not up to seasons 1-4, sure, but not too bad. And the back end of the

; season was really quite good.

Yes, the stuff around the Centauri.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Spacing is only invoked under conditions of mutiny or treason."
(Ombuds Wellington, B5 "The Quality of Mercy")

Paul Harper

Dec 20, 2004, 2:21:05 PM12/20/04
On Mon, 20 Dec 2004 02:31:32 -0500, Jeffrey Kaplan <ra...@gordol.org>
wrote:

>Begin Paul Harper quote:
>
>; To a large extent, I agree. However, re-watching season 5 on DVD
>; lately, the telepath "war" was actually little more than an extended
>; local spat with some very bad songwriting thrown in but extended
>; several episodes beyond its natural life.
>
>That wasn't the war. That was the "shot heard round the galaxy". It
>was a main contributor to the war, but not the war.
>
>; Not up to seasons 1-4, sure, but not too bad. And the back end of the
>; season was really quite good.
>
>Yes, the stuff around the Centauri.

Yup. And the extended "final farewells" stuff.

Paul (Watching the DVDs of Crusade and wondering, heresy though it may
be, if the TNT order isn't actually better...)

Jeffrey Kaplan

Dec 20, 2004, 9:10:51 PM12/20/04
Begin Paul Harper quote:

; Paul (Watching the DVDs of Crusade and wondering, heresy though it may

I'm still waiting for mine. They were supposed to be a Hanukah gift,
but the giver hadn't yet received them, and they haven't been forwarded
yet, either. :(

; be, if the TNT order isn't actually better...)

What is the "preferred" order, anyway? The only things I remember
about the sequence of the episodes is that the black uniform episodes
come first with War Zone in the first slot due to the internal
chronology.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"What, does something about this surprise you, Mr. Garibaldi?"
"+Nothing+ the government does surprises me." "That's a very Russian
attitude. I commend you." (Lt. Cmdr. Ivanova and Mr. Garibaldi, B5
"Survivors")

Mac Breck

Dec 21, 2004, 5:40:21 AM12/21/04
"Paul Harper" <pa...@harper.net> wrote in message
snip

> Paul (Watching the DVDs of Crusade and wondering, heresy
though it may
> be, if the TNT order isn't actually better...)

No need to wonder. TNT's airing order had the crew using
the virus shield ("Patterns of the Soul") *before* they
discovered it ("The Memory of War").

TNT Order:
"War Zone" 06/09/1999
"The Long Road" 06/16/1999 (1st game of NBA finals)
"The Well of Forever" 06/23/1999 (4th game of NBA finals)
"The Path of Sorrows" 06/30/1999 (NBA Draft, so Crusade
started at Midnight)
"Patterns of the Soul" 07/07/1999
"Ruling from the Tomb" 07/14/1999 [1]
"The Rules of the Game" 07/21/1999 (JFK Jr. plane crash) [3]
"Appearances and Other Deceits" 07/28/1999
"Racing the Night" 08/04/1999
"The Memory of War" 08/11/1999
"The Needs of Earth" 08/18/1999
"Visitors from Down the Street" 08/25/1999
"Each Night I Dream of Home" 09/01/1999 [2]

Sci-Fi Ch. Order
"Racing the Night" 04/09/2001
"The Needs of Earth" 04/10/2001
"The Memory of War" 04/11/2001
"The Long Road" 04/12/2001
"Visitors from Down the Street" 04/16/2001
"The Well of Forever" 04/17/2001
"Each Night I Dream of Home" 04/18/2001 [2]
"Patterns of the Soul" 04/19/2001
"The Path of Sorrows" 04/23/2001
"Ruling from the Tomb" 04/24/2001 [1]
"The Rules of the Game" 04/25/2001 [3]
"War Zone" 04/26/2001
"Appearances and Other Deceits" 04/30/2001

1-3-2 and 2-1-3, so both screw up the Gideon/Lochley meeting
order. The 2-1-3 Sci-Fi Order would have been correct were
it not for the looping added for TNT, and if "Ruling from
the Tomb" had been shot as originally scripted.

[1] Gideon and Lochley's 1st Meeting. (Made after looping
was added to [2].)
[2] Gideon and Lochley's 2nd Meeting. (Originally, was
supposed to be 1st meeting.)
[3] Gideon and Lochley's 3rd Meeting.

I just use Sci-Fi's order except that I move "War Zone" into
position 1.

Captain Infinity

Jan 2, 2005, 5:21:13 PM1/2/05
In <1104693620....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
Mac Breck (KoshN) wrote:

>What a fucking coward you are!!! You post that right *after* you know
>I'm not going to see it. I came back to this thread on GoogleGroups to
>get the URL to show other people what a definition of a troll you are,
>and I come across that!

Yeah, GoogleGroups kinda sucks like that: no respect for your killfile.
Ah well, you get what you pay for.

>I've got more respect for pond scum than I have for you.

LOL! Cry me a river, fanboy. My mission has been accomplished.

Best,
Captain Infinity

Mac Breck

Jan 2, 2005, 6:30:46 PM1/2/05

> In <1104693620....@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> Mac Breck (KoshN) wrote:
>
> >Captain Infinity wrote:
> >> The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
> >> To Talk Of Many Things...

> >> Thank god. What a dipshit.
> >>

> >> **
> >> Captain Infinity
> >
> >What a fucking coward you are!!! You post that right *after* you
know
> >I'm not going to see it. I came back to this thread on GoogleGroups
> >get the URL to show other people what a definition of a troll you
are,
> >and I come across that!
>
> Yeah, GoogleGroups kinda sucks like that: no respect for your
killfile.
> Ah well, you get what you pay for.

As usual, you miss the point ENTIRELY.

> >I've got more respect for pond scum than I have for you.
>
> LOL! Cry me a river, fanboy. My mission has been accomplished.

Your mission is bullshit.

And BTW folks, my post was sent as a private email, NOT as a newsgroup
post. That WAS private, and I would not have said that ON GROUP. HE
posted it here.

Captain Infinity

Jan 2, 2005, 7:11:42 PM1/2/05
The Time Has Come, Mac Breck said
To Talk Of Many Things...

>> >What a fucking coward you are!!! You post that right *after* you know

>> >I'm not going to see it. I came back to this thread on GoogleGroups to
>> >get the URL to show other people what a definition of a troll you are,
>> >and I come across that!
>>
>> Yeah, GoogleGroups kinda sucks like that: no respect for your killfile.
>> Ah well, you get what you pay for.
>
>As usual, you miss the point ENTIRELY.

Yep. Kinda predictable, isn't it? Sort of like your reactions.

>> >I've got more respect for pond scum than I have for you.
>>
>> LOL! Cry me a river, fanboy. My mission has been accomplished.
>
>Your mission is bullshit.

Perhaps, but I still win.

>And BTW folks, my post was sent as a private email, NOT as a newsgroup
>post. That WAS private, and I would not have said that ON GROUP. HE
>posted it here.

, ; , .-'"""'-. , ; ,
\\|/ .' '. \|//
\-;-/ () () \-;-/
// ; ; \\
//__; :. .; ;__\\
`-----\'.'-.....-'.'/-----'
'.'.-.-,_.'.'
jgs '( (..-'
'-'

**
Captain Infinity
..."Trolls can smell the rainbows, trolls can smell the stars.
Trolls can smell the dreams you dreamed before you were ever born.
Come close to me and I'll eat your life."
--Neil Gaiman, "Troll-Bridge"

Heck

Jan 3, 2005, 11:42:57 AM1/3/05
The levers of mind-change. Captain Infinity <Infi...@world.std.com>
wrote:

Pondscum is a miracle. The circle of life.