JMS project sighting

Kurt Ullman

Sep 22, 2007, 9:32:29 AM9/22/07
>From a general article on Clint Eastwood came the following:

TOUR DE FORCE

Next month, Eastwood starts filming "The Changeling" starring Angelina
Jolie, about a woman whose child is kidnapped. When the child is
returned, she suspects a swap has taken place.

"It's a great tour de force for a woman ... with John Malkovich and a
lot of very good actors," Eastwood said.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070922/en_nm/eastwood_dc_1;_ylt=AlwJZnEMAdAV
eyb1LR4KAyoF1vAI

http://tinyurl.com/32wdby

David E. Powell

Sep 23, 2007, 12:47:30 AM9/23/07
On Sep 22, 9:32 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >From a general article on Clint Eastwood came the following:
>
> TOUR DE FORCE
>
> Next month, Eastwood starts filming "The Changeling" starring Angelina
> Jolie, about a woman whose child is kidnapped. When the child is
> returned, she suspects a swap has taken place.
>
> "It's a great tour de force for a woman ... with John Malkovich and a
> lot of very good actors," Eastwood said.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070922/en_nm/eastwood_dc_1;_ylt=AlwJZnEM...
> eyb1LR4KAyoF1vAI
>
> http://tinyurl.com/32wdby

(Low whistle.)

Dan Dassow

Sep 23, 2007, 3:53:04 AM9/23/07
On Sep 22, 11:47 pm, "David E. Powell" <David_Powell3...@msn.com>
wrote:

http://preview.tinyurl.com/3b9t28
Original URL
http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=191711&command=displayContent&sourceNode=191710&contentPK=18321293&folderPk=112383&pNodeId=191800

<quote>

"Angelina Jolie is gonna play her," he [Clint Eastwood] added. "She's
actually been interested in the project for a long time, and then she
came aboard. The rest of the casting is in process. I'm starting on it
now and probably gonna cast it in the next week or two."

And it seems it's going to be another dramatic role for Angelina.

"I always like those things where somebody screws with somebody's
brain," Clint admitted. "And that's kind of what they do here. It's
about how she works her way out of it. It's a very good script, and
it's a terrific role for a woman."
</quote>

So it looks like Angelina's character will be Straczynskied.

Dan Dassow

jms...@aol.com

Sep 23, 2007, 5:36:33 AM9/23/07
On Sep 22, 5:32 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >From a general article on Clint Eastwood came the following:
>
> TOUR DE FORCE
>
> Next month, Eastwood starts filming "The Changeling" starring Angelina
> Jolie, about a woman whose child is kidnapped. When the child is
> returned, she suspects a swap has taken place.
>
> "It's a great tour de force for a woman ... with John Malkovich and a
> lot of very good actors," Eastwood said.
>
> http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070922/en_nm/eastwood_dc_1;_ylt=AlwJZnEM...
> eyb1LR4KAyoF1vAI
>
> http://tinyurl.com/32wdby

Here's the other part of it.

For the last year, very much under the radar, I've been working with
two film makers who have created some of the biggest SF movies in the
last twenty years on a television project. (I can't reveal their
identities, but pick any three of their movies and you have box office
of over two billion dollars.) We've been quietly writing and creating
the first three scripts for a new SF series that would pretty much
revolutionize the form, and which have gone out to the networks for
auction. Offers are coming in. Whether or not the offers are enough
to make the project work -- it's huge -- remains to be seen. Where
this goes will be determined in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

jms

Dennis (Icarus)

Sep 23, 2007, 7:48:11 AM9/23/07
<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

Coool! Looking forward to it!

Dennis

.

Jan

Sep 23, 2007, 11:05:06 AM9/23/07
In article <1190540193.8...@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

As much as I'm looking forward to 'Changeling' and the rest of JMS's upcoming
feature films, I'm *really* looking forward to more JMS TV.

Jan

--
We see what we look for and we look for what we think we will see.
--jms

Stile4aly

Sep 23, 2007, 11:44:59 AM9/23/07

So, the question is "Who are the film makers?" Just one the sheer
volume of dollars, I would have to guess that one is James Cameron.

Shabaz

Sep 23, 2007, 8:51:30 AM9/23/07

That sounds really, really intriguing. And most of the names that are
coming to mind with that two billion figure for any three movies of
the two collaborators are pretty exiting.

I don't know if someone else more familiar with television production
scheduling than me can elaborate on this. But if it is being shopped
around right now, would that mean that if the offers are good it could
make the pilot season this winter, and possibly be on air next year if
the pilot works? A quick google search suggest pilots get usually shot
around January. Or am I missing something about how this usually
works?

-Shabaz

Kurt Ullman

Sep 23, 2007, 1:32:58 PM9/23/07
In article <1190562299.3...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Stile4aly <stil...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> So, the question is "Who are the film makers?" Just one the sheer
> volume of dollars, I would have to guess that one is James Cameron.

Cameron really doesn't do that much Sci FI. I would think at least one
would almost have to be Lucas or Spielberg, or not.

Although if it is Spielberg, that does bring up all sorta lines about
Animaniacs in Space (g).

Stile4aly

Sep 23, 2007, 2:07:51 PM9/23/07
On Sep 23, 10:32 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In article <1190562299.326438.302...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,

> Stile4aly <stile4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > So, the question is "Who are the film makers?" Just one the sheer
> > volume of dollars, I would have to guess that one is James Cameron.
>
> Cameron really doesn't do that much Sci FI. I would think at least one
> would almost have to be Lucas or Spielberg, or not.

Aliens, T1 & T2, Abyss, Avatar, and Battle Angel? I'd say he does
enough Sci Fi, though I agree that Lucas or Spielberg are good
candidates as well.

> Although if it is Spielberg, that does bring up all sorta lines about
> Animaniacs in Space (g).

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

I think so, Brain, but I'm not sure the Vorlons play croquet.

Matt Ion

Sep 23, 2007, 2:17:08 PM9/23/07
Stile4aly wrote:
> On Sep 23, 10:32 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> In article <1190562299.326438.302...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> Stile4aly <stile4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>>> So, the question is "Who are the film makers?" Just one the sheer
>>> volume of dollars, I would have to guess that one is James Cameron.
>> Cameron really doesn't do that much Sci FI. I would think at least one
>> would almost have to be Lucas or Spielberg, or not.
>
> Aliens, T1 & T2, Abyss, Avatar, and Battle Angel?

You mean Dark Angel? Mmmmmm, Jessica....

> I'd say he does
> enough Sci Fi, though I agree that Lucas or Spielberg are good
> candidates as well.

Yeah, but how many different versions of the project will we see if
Lucas is involved?

>> Although if it is Spielberg, that does bring up all sorta lines about
>> Animaniacs in Space (g).
>
> Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
>
> I think so, Brain, but I'm not sure the Vorlons play croquet.

...with the Mollari brothers! (And the Mollari sister!)

Grandpa Garibaldi

Sep 23, 2007, 2:35:13 PM9/23/07
On Sep 23, 5:36 am, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:

> For the last year, very much under the radar, I've been working with
> two film makers who have created some of the biggest SF movies in the
> last twenty years on a television project. (I can't reveal their
> identities, but pick any three of their movies and you have box office
> of over two billion dollars.) We've been quietly writing and creating
> the first three scripts for a new SF series that would pretty much
> revolutionize the form, and which have gone out to the networks for
> auction. Offers are coming in. Whether or not the offers are enough
> to make the project work -- it's huge -- remains to be seen. Where
> this goes will be determined in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.
>
> jms

Could he be talking about this?

http://www.cinematical.com/2007/09/23/george-lucas-talks-more-star-wars-tv/

Woooooooooo!

Grandpa

Kurt Ullman

Sep 23, 2007, 3:00:19 PM9/23/07
In article <1190570871.3...@w3g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
Stile4aly <stil...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Aliens, T1 & T2, Abyss, Avatar, and Battle Angel? I'd say he does
> enough Sci Fi, though I agree that Lucas or Spielberg are good
> candidates as well.

Good point. I sorta got focussed on Titanic and later.

> > Although if it is Spielberg, that does bring up all sorta lines about
> > Animaniacs in Space (g).
>
> Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
>
> I think so, Brain, but I'm not sure the Vorlons play croquet.

You do realize that you now owe me new keyboard after that, right??

Andrew Swallow

Sep 23, 2007, 5:39:09 PM9/23/07
It would have to be the live action series to fit with what JMS
said.

Andrew Swallow

Kurt Ullman

Sep 23, 2007, 6:39:54 PM9/23/07
In article <5p-dnRn-domdQGvb...@bt.com>,
Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btinternet.com> wrote:

The other part of that is I don't see how you term YAFSWK (Yet Another
Freaking Star Wars Knockoff) as anything that could revolutionize the
form.

Wes Struebing

Sep 23, 2007, 6:57:58 PM9/23/07
On Sun, 23 Sep 2007 02:36:33 -0700, "jms...@aol.com"
<jms...@aol.com> wrote:

<"not" news sniped>. Where

>this goes will be determined in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

Oh, we will, Joe; we will!
--

Wes Struebing

Jan. 20, 2009 - the end of an error

John W. Kennedy

Sep 23, 2007, 7:50:16 PM9/23/07

"...two film makers..."

"...last twenty years..."

No.

Not to mention that, although "Star Wars" has its glories, it is
essentially too dumb for our boy Joe.

On the other hand, "Star Wars" is the only thing more or less
science-fiction that made the specified buckaroonies. If "SF" includes
comic-book adaptations and straight fantasy, then there are more
possibilities. But the money is too much to allow the Wachowski brothers
(unless JMS was just guesstimating), whom I would otherwise bet on.

--
John W. Kennedy
"Those in the seat of power oft forget their failings and seek only the

Robert Lee

Sep 23, 2007, 8:03:23 PM9/23/07

snip

> On the other hand, "Star Wars" is the only thing more or less
> science-fiction that made the specified buckaroonies. If "SF" includes
> comic-book adaptations and straight fantasy, then there are more
> possibilities. But the money is too much to allow the Wachowski brothers
> (unless JMS was just guesstimating), whom I would otherwise bet on.

Darn, I wanted to be the first to guess the Wachowski Bros! I know JMS
raved about the Matrix sequels when they came out and there ARE two of
them. :)

pano...@iquest.net

Sep 23, 2007, 1:33:39 PM9/23/07
Stile4aly wrote:
> So, the question is "Who are the film makers?" Just one the sheer
> volume of dollars, I would have to guess that one is James Cameron.

JMS's comment suggests an average box office gross over 2/3 of a
billion dollars. The IMDB has a list of top movies based on "All-Time
Worldwide Box office", and there are 29 films in that range.

James Cameron seems to have only one movie up there. Granted, that's
"Titanic", so the other two don't need to be anywhere near the top,
but I don't think that would lead to JMS's "pick any THREE" comment.

Multiple appearances in that top 29 include:
The Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson)
Pirates of the Caribbean
Harry Potter
Star Wars (George Lucas)
assorted Steven Spielberg films
Spider-Man (Sam Raimi)
Shrek (Andrew Adamson, whose Narnia film is also up there)

I know of two on that list who have collaborated in the past. The
problem with those two is JMS's "last twenty years" restriction: Star
Wars was thirty years ago, and ET was twenty-five, so I don't think he
would have bothered to say that.

Matt Ion

Sep 23, 2007, 10:43:29 PM9/23/07
Joe is sitting back reading this and chuckling quietly to himself at the
mad scrambling he hath wrought...

David E. Powell

Sep 24, 2007, 12:55:59 AM9/24/07
On Sep 23, 1:33 pm, panop...@iquest.net wrote:
> Stile4aly wrote:
> > So, the question is "Who are the film makers?" Just one the sheer
> > volume of dollars, I would have to guess that one is James Cameron.
>
> JMS's comment suggests an average box office gross over 2/3 of a
> billion dollars. The IMDB has a list of top movies based on "All-Time
> Worldwide Box office", and there are 29 films in that range.
>
> James Cameron seems to have only one movie up there. Granted, that's
> "Titanic", so the other two don't need to be anywhere near the top,
> but I don't think that would lead to JMS's "pick any THREE" comment.
>
> Multiple appearances in that top 29 include:
> The Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson)
> Pirates of the Caribbean
> Harry Potter
> Star Wars (George Lucas)
> assorted Steven Spielberg films
> Spider-Man (Sam Raimi)
> Shrek (Andrew Adamson, whose Narnia film is also up there)

How about Tony and Ridley Scott? Certainly there are a lot of
possibilities, whatever is going on I wish him luck. :)

Chris

Sep 24, 2007, 2:26:43 AM9/24/07
In article <1190568819....@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com>,
pano...@iquest.net wrote:

> Multiple appearances in that top 29 include:
> The Lord of the Rings (Peter Jackson)
> Pirates of the Caribbean
> Harry Potter
> Star Wars (George Lucas)
> assorted Steven Spielberg films
> Spider-Man (Sam Raimi)
> Shrek (Andrew Adamson, whose Narnia film is also up there)
>
> I know of two on that list who have collaborated in the past. The
> problem with those two is JMS's "last twenty years" restriction: Star
> Wars was thirty years ago, and ET was twenty-five, so I don't think he
> would have bothered to say that.

episodes 1, 2 and 3, despite their...quality, were easily some of the
"biggest sf movies in the last 20 years" so was Jurassic park.
speilberg was also involved in transformers(and just about every other
movie made since ET).

as far as Raimi goes, there's the obvious spiderman connection between
the two, but didn't JMS mention something a while back about having a
project with Raimi's team? yeah, here it is.

http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-17625&query=sam%20raimi

that was mentioning a rising stars tv series potentially. and for some
reason, "watch the skies" makes me think of rising stars

others have mentioned James Cameron...there's talk about a terminator tv
series, but I don't think Cameron is involved in that.

personally, the way JMS wrote his statement, it makes me think lucas and
speilberg, but according to the article linked regarding the star wars
tv series, i don't think that's the project, mainly because the animated
series is apparently well beyond "the first three scripts for a new SF
series" but is supposedly going to revolutionize the way we think of
animated series(at least, for americans...the project sounds like it's
in the same style as many japanese animation series) and the live action
show just doesn't feel like it would revolutionize anything. from
everything i've heard it's just more star wars.

and speaking of star wars, the Family Guy star wars episode tonight was
pure brilliance.

...chris

Chris Patterson

Sep 24, 2007, 4:34:16 AM9/24/07

> So, the question is "Who are the film makers?" Just one the sheer
> volume of dollars, I would have to guess that one is James Cameron.

That was my first guess, as well.
Chris Patterson chris dot s dot patterson at gmail dot com
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of
doubts." -- Bertrand Russell

Amy Guskin

Sep 24, 2007, 8:04:40 AM9/24/07
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:26:43 -0400, Chris wrote
(in article
<pelzo63-949CB6...@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>):

> and speaking of star wars, the Family Guy star wars episode tonight was
> pure brilliance. <<

I don't even like The Family Guy, and I'd have to agree. The level of detail
was amazing.

Amy
--
"In my line of work you gotta keep repeating things over and over and over
again for the truth to sink in, to kinda catapult the propaganda." - George
W. Bush, May 24, 2005

Dan Dassow

Sep 24, 2007, 2:13:33 PM9/24/07
On Sep 24, 7:04 am, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 02:26:43 -0400, Chris wrote
>
> (in article
> <pelzo63-949CB6.23264323092...@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>):

> > and speaking of star wars, the Family Guy star wars episode tonight was
> > pure brilliance. <<
>
> I don't even like The Family Guy, and I'd have to agree. The level of detail
> was amazing.

I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the animation and
parody of the Family Guy Star Wars parody. I had reluctantly tuned in,
since I strongly dislike the Family Guy.

Considering this was done on Fox, I wondered how much George Lucas
assisted in the production. I did not see the production credits, but
wondered whether ILM was involved. One can hope that the animation and
writing for the new Star Wars animated series is of the same high
quality.

Dan Dassow

Amy Guskin

Sep 24, 2007, 3:21:53 PM9/24/07
>> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:13:33 -0400, Dan Dassow wrote
(in article <1190657613.3...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>):

Dan, I wondered if ILM was involved, too. Like, maybe they did the
non-character animation entirely, as a sort of test balloon of the new
animated SW series' animation processes.

Christophe Bachmann

Sep 24, 2007, 4:41:29 PM9/24/07
Matt Ion a écrit :

> Stile4aly wrote:
>> On Sep 23, 10:32 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Cameron really doesn't do that much Sci FI. I would think at least one
>>> would almost have to be Lucas or Spielberg, or not.
>>
>> Aliens, T1 & T2, Abyss, Avatar, and Battle Angel?
>
> You mean Dark Angel? Mmmmmm, Jessica....

Nope, "Battle Angel" as in Gunnm aka Battle Angel Alita by Yukito
Kishiro which is a project of James Cameron, see :
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oded_battle-angel-teaser_shortfilms

>> I'd say he does
>> enough Sci Fi, though I agree that Lucas or Spielberg are good
>> candidates as well.
>
> Yeah, but how many different versions of the project will we see if
> Lucas is involved?
>
>>> Although if it is Spielberg, that does bring up all sorta lines about
>>> Animaniacs in Space (g).
>>
>> Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
>>
>> I think so, Brain, but I'm not sure the Vorlons play croquet.
>

> ....with the Mollari brothers! (And the Mollari sister!)

--
Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Château du Ciel, Drachenwald,

Dan Dassow

Sep 24, 2007, 4:42:51 PM9/24/07
On Sep 24, 2:21 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 24 Sep 2007 14:13:33 -0400, Dan Dassow wrote
>
> (in article <1190657613.330967.305...@g4g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>):

> >> (in article
> >> <pelzo63-949CB6.23264323092...@earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net>):

> >> I don't even like The Family Guy, and I'd have to agree. The level of
> >> detail
> >> was amazing.
>
> > I was pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the animation and
> > parody of the Family Guy Star Wars parody. I had reluctantly tuned in,
> > since I strongly dislike the Family Guy.
>
> > Considering this was done on Fox, I wondered how much George Lucas
> > assisted in the production. I did not see the production credits, but
> > wondered whether ILM was involved. One can hope that the animation and
> > writing for the new Star Wars animated series is of the same high
> > quality.<<
>
> Dan, I wondered if ILM was involved, too. Like, maybe they did the
> non-character animation entirely, as a sort of test balloon of the new
> animated SW series' animation processes.

I could not find a direct connection with ILM. However, I did find
this on Starwars.com.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/2vkjsq
Original URL:
http://www.starwars.com/community/news/media/news20070913.html
"Family Guy: Blue Harvest" Concept Art
September 13, 2007

Here's a first look at concept art from the "Family Guy" special
episode called "Blue Harvest" -- a hilarious homage to the Star Wars
saga as unique as only Seth MacFarlane and his talented team of
writers can make it.

Animator Mick Cassidy did all the concept art shown. One of the
illustrations is dated 11/8/06

http://preview.tinyurl.com/358efh
Original URL:
http://www.starwars.com/community/news/media/news20070917.html
"Family Guy: Blue Harvest" Director Talks Star Wars
September 17, 2007

Speaking of family men, Polcino can't wait to see what the fans will
think of the upcoming Star Wars special "Family Guy: Blue Harvest"
which he and the rest of the "Family Guy" crew showed a sneak peak at
both Celebration IV and Comic-Con. "Celebration IV was a lot of fun,"
Polcino says. "You had fans who liked 'Family Guy' and Star Wars, and
so it was the best audience for this special. We showed 10 minutes of
clips from 'Family Guy: Blue Harvest.' It was really nice to see the
instant positive reaction from fans. I won't say I'm surprised since
that is the ideal audience, so I'm hoping that the rest of America who
aren't hardcore fans will embrace the show as well. There's definitely
something for everybody."

When Polcino had originally been asked to direct the special he was
more than thrilled. "The "Family Guy" team approached Lucasfilm after
the idea came up to give a whole dedicated episode of the show a
shot," Polcino says. "I suppose George Lucas wasn't bothered by our
previous Star Wars jokes so it worked out. I was fortunate to be asked
to direct "Family Guy: Blue Harvest" because I was immediately aware
it would be a historical episode."

Dan Dassow

Matt Ion

Sep 24, 2007, 9:17:53 PM9/24/07
Christophe Bachmann wrote:
> Matt Ion a écrit :
>> Stile4aly wrote:

>>> Aliens, T1 & T2, Abyss, Avatar, and Battle Angel?
>>
>> You mean Dark Angel? Mmmmmm, Jessica....
>>
> Nope, "Battle Angel" as in Gunnm aka Battle Angel Alita by Yukito
> Kishiro which is a project of James Cameron, see :
> http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2oded_battle-angel-teaser_shortfilms

Ahh, never heard of that...

Dark Angel was a James Cameron creation as well...

Tom

Sep 25, 2007, 2:02:56 PM9/25/07
On Sep 23, 5:36 am, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 5:32 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >From a general article on Clint Eastwood came the following:
>
> > TOUR DE FORCE
>
> > Next month, Eastwood starts filming "The Changeling" starring Angelina
> > Jolie, about a woman whose child is kidnapped. When the child is
> > returned, she suspects a swap has taken place.
>
> > "It's a great tour de force for a woman ... with John Malkovich and a
> > lot of very good actors," Eastwood said.
>
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070922/en_nm/eastwood_dc_1;_ylt=AlwJZnEM...
> > eyb1LR4KAyoF1vAI
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/32wdby
>
> Here's the other part of it.
>
> For the last year, very much under the radar, I've been working with
> two film makers who have created some of the biggest SF movies in the
> last twenty years on a television project. (I can't reveal their
> identities, but pick any three of their movies and you have box office
> of over two billion dollars.) We've been quietly writing and creating
> the first three scripts for a new SF series that would pretty much
> revolutionize the form, and which have gone out to the networks for
> auction. Offers are coming in. Whether or not the offers are enough
> to make the project work -- it's huge -- remains to be seen. Where
> this goes will be determined in the next couple of weeks. Stay tuned.
>
> jms

Congrats again. Do you find that when it rains it pours in your
profession? I know you told us before that you always had work to
keep you busy and pay the bills, but it seems like you went from busy
to "where the heck did the last year go" busy. Advanced busy one
might say.

jms...@aol.com

Sep 25, 2007, 8:02:30 PM9/25/07
On Sep 25, 10:02 am, Tom <nps...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Congrats again. Do you find that when it rains it pours in your
> profession? I know you told us before that you always had work to
> keep you busy and pay the bills, but it seems like you went from busy
> to "where the heck did the last year go" busy. Advanced busy one
> might say.- Hide quoted text -

For anybody working in the arts -- writer, director, actor, or any of
the other visual or musical arts -- it's always feast or famine. When
you're down, nobody wants you, when you're up, and can't take on any
other work, that's when everybody wants a piece of you. I've been
luckier than most because my slow periods are still pretty busy, but
there's still a visible arc.

Certainly the last 18 months have been not just busy, but insanely
busy...this is the most frantic period I've had work wise since the
end of B5 when we were finishing up one series, doing 4 TV movies and
launching Crusade and I was getting into the comics field, all at the
same time.

Changeling is less than three weeks from going into production, offers
to directors are going out on World War Z and as soon as someone says
yes it goes into production, Silver Surfer is two steps away from
being greenlit, I'm about two weeks shy of delivering the first draft
of They Marched into Sunlight to Paul Greengrass and Tom Hanks,
another production entity has stepped in to pick up Apocalypse Al,
there's all the comics work (Thor, Silver Surfer Requiem, Spidey), the
script books, the top-secret TV project I've been working on...and
waiting in the wings are at least two more movie offers that I can
take as soon as I finish what's now on my plate.

To some degree, the rest of the year is being complicated by the
coming WGA strike, but honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to
it...it'll be a chance for the first real vacation I've had since
1986/7.

jms

Dennis (Icarus)

Sep 25, 2007, 8:35:17 PM9/25/07
<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

Be honest, JMS, just between the two of us......how many clones do you have?

Dennis

.

Jan

Sep 25, 2007, 9:48:05 PM9/25/07
In article <1190764950....@50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

>To some degree, the rest of the year is being complicated by the
>coming WGA strike, but honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to
>it...it'll be a chance for the first real vacation I've had since
>1986/7.
>
>jms

Whatever you do, *don't* make reservations anywhere yet or they'll end up with
an agreement by the end of October.

Jan

--
We see what we look for and we look for what we think we will see.
--jms

Matt Ion

Sep 26, 2007, 3:05:30 AM9/26/07
Dennis (Icarus) wrote:

> Be honest, JMS, just between the two of us......how many clones do you have?

Next top-secret movie project: Multiplicity 2: The Buddy Tales.

Chris Patterson

Sep 26, 2007, 11:49:40 AM9/26/07
"jms...@aol.com" <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

> a new SF series that would pretty much revolutionize the form

I got to thinking about this a bit, and I'm worried that network execs
aren't really too keen on "revolutionizing" anything... all they want is
another BSG or "Lost" or "Heroes" right now. I can't think of any other
genre series that might have been considered "revolutionary" in the past
few years that made it past one season. But I'm sure Joe and his
mysterious partner(s) are smart enough not to pitch it that way to the
nets.

Oh, and for God's sake, please -- DON'T GO WITH FOX!!

Charlie Edmondson

Sep 26, 2007, 12:15:48 PM9/26/07
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> To some degree, the rest of the year is being complicated by the
> coming WGA strike, but honestly, I'm kind of looking forward to
> it...it'll be a chance for the first real vacation I've had since
> 1986/7.
>
> jms

Joe,
We all now that you won't take a vacation. We know you can't SELL your
work during the strike, but we know your head will explode if you were
to actually stop WRITING for any period of time... ;-)

Charlie

JanMSchroeder

Sep 26, 2007, 1:59:10 PM9/26/07
On Sep 25, 8:02 pm, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:

> another production entity has stepped in to pick up Apocalypse Al,...

Those were all already recorded, right? Does this mean that there's
somebody other than the CBC who'll air it? Or are you planning to
revolutionize radio drama with the 'Direct to CD' or 'CD on Demand'
marketing model?

Only partially tongue in cheek,

Jan

Tom

Sep 26, 2007, 2:13:11 PM9/26/07
On Sep 25, 8:02 pm, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:

Wow. That's a long time to go without a trip to the beach, or
whatever you choose to do.

Do you allow yourself any "me" time? I professionally stare at
computer screens 8 hours a day fixing this that and the other thing
(the other thing is always the one that gets me), but when I go I have
to do something other than get on a computer. For me its a gym, or
watching TV. Are you a 16 hour a day? Is that your slow day? I'm
trying to understand a little of how it works, without you um.. err
writing a book.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Sep 26, 2007, 3:02:02 PM9/26/07
It is alleged that jms...@aol.com claimed:

> For the last year, very much under the radar, I've been working with
> two film makers who have created some of the biggest SF movies in the
> last twenty years on a television project. (I can't reveal their
> identities, but pick any three of their movies and you have box office
> of over two billion dollars.) We've been quietly writing and creating

You may not be able to reveal their IDs, but we can speculate, right?

I'm going to guess Spielberg and Cameron.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #74. If my trusty sidekick always
blurts out the fact that I am carrying the most powerful magic object
in the world, then I will get a sidekick who is less of a blabbermouth.

Matt Ion

Sep 26, 2007, 3:25:50 PM9/26/07
Jeffrey Kaplan wrote:
> It is alleged that jms...@aol.com claimed:
>
>> For the last year, very much under the radar, I've been working with
>> two film makers who have created some of the biggest SF movies in the
>> last twenty years on a television project. (I can't reveal their
>> identities, but pick any three of their movies and you have box office
>> of over two billion dollars.) We've been quietly writing and creating
>
> You may not be able to reveal their IDs, but we can speculate, right?
>
> I'm going to guess Spielberg and Cameron.

Steven Spielberg and James Cameron present: E.T.: the Extra Titanic!
Screenplay by JMS :)

Mac Breck

Sep 26, 2007, 5:16:28 PM9/26/07
"Chris Patterson" <chris_s_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In article <1190540193.8...@y42g2000hsy.googlegroups.com>,
> "jms...@aol.com" <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > a new SF series that would pretty much revolutionize the form
>
> I got to thinking about this a bit, and I'm worried that network execs
> aren't really too keen on "revolutionizing" anything... all they want
is
> another BSG or "Lost" or "Heroes" right now. I can't think of any
other
> genre series that might have been considered "revolutionary" in the
past
> few years that made it past one season. But I'm sure Joe and his
> mysterious partner(s) are smart enough not to pitch it that way to the
> nets.
>
> Oh, and for God's sake, please -- DON'T GO WITH FOX!!

SECONDED!!! ...or TNT!!!

If he does go with FOX, he better write it to wrap in 3 episodes, or 13
at the absolute outside.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------

Kyle J Cardoza

Sep 26, 2007, 5:25:45 PM9/26/07
Chris Patterson caught my attention on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:49:40 -0400 by
saying:

> Oh, and for God's sake, please -- DON'T GO WITH FOX!!

<AOL/>

Fox is made of evil. They've killed more truly awesome series than anyone
wants to remember.

*moment of silence for Firefly and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.*

--
Faith does not, in fact, move mountains; it can't even cure diarrhoea, or
clear up acne. It certainly won't protect anyone from his own stupidity.

Jon Schild

Sep 26, 2007, 7:19:32 PM9/26/07

I see no mention of the Book of Lost Souls there. Does that mean it's
extinct and I should quit hassling my comic dealer about it?

--
Sufficiently advanced spam is indistinguishable from content.

Mac Breck

Sep 26, 2007, 7:30:12 PM9/26/07
"Kyle J Cardoza" <ad...@zetachannel.com> wrote in message

> Chris Patterson caught my attention on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:49:40 -0400
by
> saying:
>
> > Oh, and for God's sake, please -- DON'T GO WITH FOX!!
>
> <AOL/>
>
> Fox is made of evil. They've killed more truly awesome series than
anyone
> wants to remember.
>
> *moment of silence for Firefly and The Adventures of Brisco County,
Jr.*

....and BRIMSTONE, STRANGE LUCK, THE TICK (with Patrick Warburton),
TITUS, John Doe, KEEN EDDIE and WONDERFALLS.

Chris Adams

Sep 26, 2007, 10:01:24 PM9/26/07
Once upon a time, Mac Breck <macthe...@yahoo.com> said:
>"Kyle J Cardoza" <ad...@zetachannel.com> wrote in message
>> *moment of silence for Firefly and The Adventures of Brisco County,
>Jr.*
>
>....and BRIMSTONE, STRANGE LUCK, THE TICK (with Patrick Warburton),
>TITUS, John Doe, KEEN EDDIE and WONDERFALLS.

I loved the intro to the first episode of "Family Guy" when it was
revived. Peter names all the shows that FOX started and cancelled
between the cancellation (of production, not when the last episode
aired) and return of "Family Guy":

Dark Angel
Titus
Undeclared
Action
That 80's Show
Wonderfalls
Fastlane
Andy Richter Controls the Universe
Skin
Girl's Club
Cracking Up
The Pitts
Firefly
Get Real
Freaky Links
Wanda at Large
Costello
The Lone Gunmen
A Minute with Stan Hooper
Normal, Ohio
Pasadena
Harsh Realm
Keen Eddie
The Street
American Embassy
Cedric the Entertainer
The Tick
Luis
Greg the Bunny

I never even heard of a bunch of these!
--
Chris Adams <cma...@hiwaay.net>

Amy Guskin

Sep 26, 2007, 10:24:19 PM9/26/07
(in article <t7AKi.54616$%f4.3...@newsfet10.ams>):

> Chris Patterson caught my attention on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:49:40 -0400 by
> saying:
>
>> Oh, and for God's sake, please -- DON'T GO WITH FOX!!
>
> <AOL/>
>
> Fox is made of evil. They've killed more truly awesome series than anyone
> wants to remember.
>
> *moment of silence for Firefly and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.* <<

Ditto for "Wonderfalls."

Message has been deleted

Jeffrey Kaplan

Sep 27, 2007, 11:16:44 AM9/27/07
It is alleged that Kyle J Cardoza claimed:

> Fox is made of evil. They've killed more truly awesome series than anyone
> wants to remember.
>
> *moment of silence for Firefly and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.*

... and Drive, just as the plot was getting interesting.

OTOH, they also have House, and Bones.

All networks do the same thing. NBC killed off "Studio 60" in the
middle of the season, but they also have Heroes.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"There are only two reasons to sit in the back row of an airplane:
Either you have diarrhea, or you're anxious to meet people who do."
-Henry Kissinger (former US Secretary of State)

Kurt Ullman

Sep 30, 2007, 11:00:04 PM9/30/07
In article <0001HW.C3208C71...@news.verizon.net>,
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:

> >> On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:25:45 -0400, Kyle J Cardoza wrote
> (in article <t7AKi.54616$%f4.3...@newsfet10.ams>):
>
> > Chris Patterson caught my attention on Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:49:40 -0400 by
> > saying:
> >
> >> Oh, and for God's sake, please -- DON'T GO WITH FOX!!
> >
> > <AOL/>
> >
> > Fox is made of evil. They've killed more truly awesome series than anyone
> > wants to remember.
> >
> > *moment of silence for Firefly and The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr.* <<
>
> Ditto for "Wonderfalls."
>
> Amy

I liked Standoff last year.

Dan Dassow

Oct 9, 2007, 5:59:54 PM10/9/07
On Sep 23, 4:36 am, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Sep 22, 5:32 am, Kurt Ullman <kurtull...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > >From a general article on Clint Eastwood came the following:
>
> > TOUR DE FORCE
>
> > Next month, Eastwood starts filming "TheChangeling" starring Angelina

> > Jolie, about a woman whose child is kidnapped. When the child is
> > returned, she suspects a swap has taken place.
>
> > "It's a great tour de force for a woman ... with John Malkovich and a
> > lot of very good actors," Eastwood said.
>
> >http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070922/en_nm/eastwood_dc_1;_ylt=AlwJZnEM...
> > eyb1LR4KAyoF1vAI
>
> >http://tinyurl.com/32wdby

Joe,
After finding out about the events surrounding the kidnapping and
reading some of the news stories of the day, I can understand why Ron
Howard and Clint Eastwood are so enthusiastic about the script. Jason
Butler Harner who is slated to play the kidnapper describes the
character as a horrible, horrible, wonderful person (and I might add),
one the most twisted characters you have ever written. I am being
intentionally vague so as not to spoil it for others.
Dan Dassow