JMS: Emerald City Con schedule?

Jan

Apr 21, 2008, 6:43:41 AM4/21/08
JMS,

Can you tell us what your schedule will be at the Emerald City Comic Con in
Seattle? They've posted an early schedule of panels and there's no sign of your
name yet.

Thanks,

Jan

--
We see what we look for and we look for what we think we will see.
--jms

Jan

Apr 25, 2008, 3:55:25 PM4/25/08
They have a spotlight listed for JMS at 5:00 PM on Saturday now. No word on
signings so far. There are DC and Marvel panels on Saturday also.

Jan

May 10, 2008, 7:10:15 PM5/10/08
Back from the con for today. JMS wasn't scheduled for anything for sure but he
did participate in the DC Nation panel. I understand that "what happens at DC
Nation stays at DC Nation" and they asked that there not be any recording.
That's okay, I didn't really recognize/understand most of the characters they
were talking about anyway.

One thing that JMS said in response to a question about what DC is doing for
people just starting to read their books is that his work on "Brave and Bold"
should be perfect for her, that he's going to be using a 'sampler platter' of
characters with small arcs. Then he went through a list of apparently odd
character matchups but t was hard to tell how serious he was about them because
Dan Didio said several times that he couldn't do some of them.

Right after the panel, JMS went to his table to sign autographs. This con is
extremely unusual in that they don't have a posted schedule for celeb autographs
and when I asked them about signings for JMS they just said to keep checking his
table. I went to find it and there was a line that had started at opening and
was at least 30-40 people long. At the signing after the DC panel, he signed for
about an hour and then his helper cut off the line but said he'd be back. I
asked if he had certain times to sign tomorrow and she said she didn't know.

His spotlight panel for Sunday is scheduled for 2:00 PM. The panel rooms are
pretty small. If they hold 300 people each I'd be surprised.

That's it for today. See you all tomorrow!

Amy Guskin

May 10, 2008, 9:04:49 PM5/10/08
(in article <g05a0...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> Back from the con for today. <snip> <<

Glad you arrived safely, and are having a good time, Jan! So, is it raining
in Seattle? (I know, rhetorical qeustion...)

Amy
--
"In my line of work you gotta keep repeating things over and over and over
again for the truth to sink in, to kinda catapult the propaganda." - George
W. Bush, May 24, 2005

Jan

May 10, 2008, 10:49:43 PM5/10/08
In article <0001HW.C44BBE71...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
says...

>>> On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:10:15 -0400, Jan wrote
>(in article <g05a0...@drn.newsguy.com>):
>
>> Back from the con for today. <snip> <<
>
>Glad you arrived safely, and are having a good time, Jan! So, is it raining
>in Seattle? (I know, rhetorical qeustion...)
>
>Amy

Not so far. Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't because it's chillier
here than I was expecting.

Blair Leatherwood

May 11, 2008, 12:58:28 AM5/11/08
Amy Guskin wrote:
>>>On Sat, 10 May 2008 19:10:15 -0400, Jan wrote
>
> (in article <g05a0...@drn.newsguy.com>):
>

>>Back from the con for today. <snip> <<
>

> Glad you arrived safely, and are having a good time, Jan! So, is it raining
> in Seattle? (I know, rhetorical qeustion...)
>
> Amy
Ah, memories of Bill Cosby's routine about Seattle...

Getting a rain tan, for one thing.

Blair

Dan Dassow

May 11, 2008, 1:07:22 AM5/11/08
On May 10, 9:49 pm, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
> In article <0001HW.C44BBE7104AE79A4F0407...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin

> says...

> >(in article <g05a0n0...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> >> Back from the con for today.   <snip>  <<
>
> >Glad you arrived safely, and are having a good time, Jan!  So, is it raining
> >in Seattle?  (I know, rhetorical qeustion...)
>
> >Amy
>
> Not so far.  Keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't because it's chillier
> here than I was expecting.

A day without sunshine is like a day without orange juice and is
typical of Seattle.

Dan Dassow

Jan

May 11, 2008, 11:36:48 PM5/11/08
Okay, I'm just back to the hotel from the con and I'm still reviewing the
recording but here's what I've got:

It's now official: JMS is adapting the Lensman saga for Ron Howard and they're
looking at possibly making it a three film series.

He's also rewritten an entire script for the Wachowski brothers in 60 hours. (He
didn't mention the name but this must be "Ninja Assassin").

He's sold a spec script to Tom Cruise.

He's sold a spec script to Universal called "Flickering Light".

There's another project for Wolfgang Peterson called "The Grays" based on the
books by Whitley Strieber.

One of the announcements he hopes to make in the next few weeks is a for a
feature film that's "near and dear to the heart of every person in the room".

Regarding more Lost Tales, at the moment two divisions of WB seem to be
'discussing' wanting a feature film or more Lost Tales but come to an agreement
and haven't gotten to the point of guaranteeing JMS total creative control in
the case of a feature film. The budget for the first disk was only 2 million
dollars.

He's currently adapting "Midnight Nation" as a screenplay and expects to have it
ready around August or September.

Another big producer is interested in "Dream Police" and "Rising Stars".

He's got two projects coming from Image. One I missed the title of (JMS-help me
out here?), the other is called "Final Justice". They'll be coming from Image
probably in the fall.

I asked his reaction to "Changeling" being chosen to compete at the Cannes Film
Festival and he brought everybody up to speed on that. He's flying out next
Sunday to be there for the competition and seems stunned and pleased just at the
honor of the film being chosen but doesn't have any idea how it'll do.

Got to pack and get ready to get up in the middle of the night to fly home
tomorrow. It always seems like a good idea when I book them...

Blair Leatherwood

May 12, 2008, 1:36:27 AM5/12/08
Jan wrote:
> Okay, I'm just back to the hotel from the con and I'm still reviewing the
> recording but here's what I've got:

Jan:

Given the nature and volume of the information you just transmitted, I'm
amazed you were able to remain coherent...

Jan

May 12, 2008, 4:23:58 AM5/12/08
In article <166dnZBL95BJS7rV...@comcast.com>, Blair Leatherwood
says...

That's why I've taken to recording these. There's just no way to remember it all
otherwise. And to say that JMS talks fast would be an understatement.

Blair Leatherwood

May 12, 2008, 9:17:22 AM5/12/08
Jan wrote:
> In article <166dnZBL95BJS7rV...@comcast.com>, Blair Leatherwood
> says...
>
>>Jan wrote:
>>
>>>Okay, I'm just back to the hotel from the con and I'm still reviewing the
>>>recording but here's what I've got:
>>
>>Jan:
>>
>>Given the nature and volume of the information you just transmitted, I'm
>>amazed you were able to remain coherent...
>>

> That's why I've taken to recording these. There's just no way to remember it all
> otherwise. And to say that JMS talks fast would be an understatement.
>
> Jan

About as fast as he types, probably...

Josh Hill

May 12, 2008, 9:23:55 AM5/12/08

OK, so that's what he did on Tuesday. What did he do on Wednesday? :-)

--
Josh

"My name is not Strangelove. I don't know about Strangelove. I'm not
interested in Strangelove. What else can I say? . . . Look, say it
three times more, and I throw you out of this office."

--Edward Teller

Charlie E.

May 12, 2008, 3:25:15 PM5/12/08
On 11 May 2008 20:36:48 -0700, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>Okay, I'm just back to the hotel from the con and I'm still reviewing the
>recording but here's what I've got:
>
>It's now official: JMS is adapting the Lensman saga for Ron Howard and they're
>looking at possibly making it a three film series.

<snip>

>Jan

DARN! Two days early!!!!!!

I had it picked for the 12th!

Charlie

Wes Struebing

May 12, 2008, 8:03:25 PM5/12/08
On 11 May 2008 20:36:48 -0700, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>Okay, I'm just back to the hotel from the con and I'm still reviewing the
>recording but here's what I've got:

<snip of a BUNCH of goodstuff>

Wow! Leaves me breathless...
--

Wes Struebing

Jan. 20, 2009 - the end of an error

Iva

May 12, 2008, 9:53:01 PM5/12/08

WOW! Fabulous! Woo-hoo!

<g>
-----
Iva

Dan Dassow

May 13, 2008, 7:43:18 AM5/13/08
On May 12, 3:23 am, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
> In article <166dnZBL95BJS7rVnZ2dnUVZ_ovin...@comcast.com>, Blair Leatherwood

> says...
>

> >Jan wrote:
> >> Okay, I'm just back to the hotel from the con and I'm still reviewing the
> >> recording but here's what I've got:
>
> >Jan:
>
> >Given the nature and volume of the information you just transmitted, I'm
> >amazed you were able to remain coherent...
>
> That's why I've taken to recording these. There's just no way to remember it all
> otherwise. And to say that JMS talks fast would be an understatement.

Another intrepid reporter confirms everything that Jan has posted.
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=16376

I found the following typical of Joe. :-)

He began by discussing the film "Changeling", which is set to premiere
at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival. Clint Eastwood directed JMS'
script, and the film stars Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich. "I'm the
first comics guy to have a film at the Cannes Film Festival," JMS
said, smiling.

Dan Dassow

Jan

May 13, 2008, 8:21:14 AM5/13/08
In article <4eceddc4-8f20-463b...@i76g2000hsf.googlegroups.com>,
Dan Dassow says...

>Another intrepid reporter confirms everything that Jan has posted.
>http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=3Darticle&id=3D16376

"The Grand"! That's the title I couldn't make out.

>I found the following typical of Joe. :-)
>
>He began by discussing the film "Changeling", which is set to premiere
>at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival. Clint Eastwood directed JMS'
>script, and the film stars Angelina Jolie and John Malkovich. "I'm the
>first comics guy to have a film at the Cannes Film Festival," JMS
>said, smiling.

He seems to be getting some pleasure in the thought of a "geek like me" being in
that kind of company.