The power of B5 fans - from jms

Jms at B5

Dec 4, 2001, 7:24:58 PM12/4/01
One thing I've always tried to do was to avoid obvious promotion; I like
talking about the writing of a show, the making of a show, what I liked (or
didn't) like about the end result...going out there and blatantly saying "Hey,
watch our show!" is something I've never been comfortable with, only because I
think people are smart enough to make up their own minds. If it's something
you want to see, you'll see it; if it ain't, you won't. ("If you like that
sort of thing, it's the sort of thing you'll like." Abraham Lincoln.)

One thing, however, is self-evident about the coming broadcast of The Legend of
the Rangers: if enough people tune it, there will be a series. If enough
don't, there won't.

At conventions, I'm asked constantly when more B5 stuff will be coming down the
pike. I've always said it's in the hands of the networks and the studios.
This time, it's the fans who have the power to make that decision. If every B5
fan tunes in, it happens. It's really that simple and straightforward.

The rest I leave happily to your own disrection.

jms

(jms...@aol.com)
and don't send me story ideas)

Roseann

Dec 5, 2001, 6:14:11 AM12/5/01
WhooHoo!!!! I'm there. Joe, if this does take off as a new series, is it
possible the fan club could make a comeback, or is too soon to say?

Thanks for taking the time to keep us in the loop.

Roseann

PÃ¥l Are Nordal

Dec 5, 2001, 10:34:12 AM12/5/01
Jms at B5 wrote:

> At conventions, I'm asked constantly when more B5 stuff will be coming down the
> pike. I've always said it's in the hands of the networks and the studios.
> This time, it's the fans who have the power to make that decision. If every B5
> fan tunes in, it happens. It's really that simple and straightforward.

Yes... And this time we certainly can't claim that the suits aren't
doing their part.

Tammy Smith

Dec 5, 2001, 11:46:22 AM12/5/01
If SFC would hurry up & send me my Rangers t-shirt, I will be wearing it
to help advertise the movie. I want Rangers to be a success, so I will
do whatever I can to promote it.

Tammy

Hank Arnold

Dec 5, 2001, 6:18:09 AM12/5/01
Nolo problemo........ My wife is already been warned that this is "Super
Bowl" style time. Leave the snacks and leave me alone..... They'll have to
tear my cold dead fingers off the remote to stop me......

--
Regards,
Hank Arnold
"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

Birgit Schindlbeck

Dec 5, 2001, 7:15:09 AM12/5/01
Well, all I can say about Legend of the Rangers is:
I'm sure as hell gonna watch it if it ever makes it over here, to Germany! :-)

See you!
Birgit

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 5, 2001, 2:45:33 PM12/5/01
SciFi is doing well to involve the fans -- we all have a keen interest
in seeing this pilot turn into a series! -- but like Tammy, I too am
concerned and anxious about getting the promotional materials from them
(the t-shirts, the car-wrap, the postcards) already! I'm waiting to do
my Christmas shopping until my car is wrapped so that I can drive my
sweet little 6-cylinder promotional tool into heavily-trafficked
shopping areas, and talk about the show to anyone who asks why my car
looks like that.

I think you can rest assured that if there is _anything_ any of us can
do to ensure that this series is picked up, it will be done. As for
watching the show -- well, that's a no-brainer.

Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
please! please!) :-D

Aisling Grey

Mac Breck

Dec 5, 2001, 4:35:22 PM12/5/01

You and me both!

http://members.tripod.co.uk/macbreck/photoalbum/images/B5_Crusade_LOTR3Scr.j
pg

...and...

http://members.tripod.co.uk/macbreck/photoalbum/images/Rangers.jpg

...have been in the back window of my car since October (no signs of fading
yet either). I guess that Alps MD-5000 really *is* pretty fade resistant
<g>.

I also have the following message on the rear side windows of my car:

http://members.tripod.co.uk/macbreck/photoalbum/images/B5_Crusade_LOTR3Scr.j
pg
72 pixel per inch version for quicker viewing

http://members.tripod.co.uk/macbreck/photoalbum/images/B5_Crusade_LOTR3Prt.j
pg
printer version (higher res)

Mac Breck
------------------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/ http://www.b5lr.com/

Jms at B5

Dec 5, 2001, 4:40:53 PM12/5/01
>Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
>please! please!) :-D

That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring character,
and see other known B5 characters along the way.

Cheryl Martin

Dec 5, 2001, 5:40:35 PM12/5/01
In article <20011205164053...@mb-fc.aol.com>,

Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>>Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
>>please! please!) :-D
>

>That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring
>character, and see other known B5 characters along the way.

Yay!

Um....I'd love to see most of the B5 and Crusade
characters..but...er..how about not having Lochley?

Cheryl
--
% This post brought to you by the letter "Z" and the number 42 %
% Cheryl L Martin %

Jay Denebeim

Dec 5, 2001, 5:45:07 PM12/5/01
Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

>That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring
>character, and see other known B5 characters along the way.

Hey Joe, how about no Tracy Scoggins, or if you feel you must could it
be in an episode entitled "Lochley's horribly pathetic and painful,
flaming death"?

Jay
--
I'm looking for a job, for my resume please see:
http://www.deepthot.org:2001/denebeim.html

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 5, 2001, 5:47:31 PM12/5/01
>>Jms at B5 wrote:

>>Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
>>please! please!) :-D
>>

> That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring character,
> and see other known B5 characters along the way.<<

YIPPEEEE!!!!

The Great Maker is good; the Great Maker is wise. May the Great Maker
receive many brownies, festive trinkets and a high audience share for
granting us such a blessing!

(And if I didn't make myself clear, HOOOOORAAAAAAYYYY!!!!!!)

Aisling Grey

Jan

Dec 5, 2001, 6:21:10 PM12/5/01
Aisling Grey wrote:

<<
I think you can rest assured that if there is _anything_ any of us can
do to ensure that this series is picked up, it will be done. As for
watching the show -- well, that's a no-brainer.>>

Amen! Wish I was getting my car wrapped. I might not let them take it off.

Jan

Jan

Dec 5, 2001, 6:25:06 PM12/5/01
Cheryl wrote:

<<..how about not having Lochley?>>

I like Lochley! She seems a lot more human than Sheridan any day!

Jan

Lisa Coulter

Dec 5, 2001, 2:48:33 PM12/5/01
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote in message news:<20011204192458...@mb-mq.aol.com>...

> At conventions, I'm asked constantly when more B5 stuff will be coming down the
> pike. I've always said it's in the hands of the networks and the studios.
> This time, it's the fans who have the power to make that decision. If every B5
> fan tunes in, it happens. It's really that simple and straightforward.
>
> The rest I leave happily to your own disrection.
>
> jms
>
> (jms...@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Well, here's one person who will tune in and do her utmost to get others to
as well! You've never written anything I've seen short of first-class.

Thanks.

Lisa Coulter

Michael P. Casey

Dec 5, 2001, 6:02:05 PM12/5/01

"Jay Denebeim" <dene...@deepthot.org> wrote in message

> Hey Joe, how about no Tracy Scoggins, or if you feel you must could it
> be in an episode entitled "Lochley's horribly pathetic and painful,
> flaming death"?

What's so bad about Lochley? Granted, I've never seen any episodes of
Crusade, but on B5 at least she wasn't THAT bad. Or, at least, not as bad
as some of the other actors and actresses to show up. (The Centauri woman
on "Sic Transit Vir" a few nights ago kept me constantly cringing, and Lyta
often has the same effect...)

MPC

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 5, 2001, 6:54:04 PM12/5/01
>>Jan wrote:

Well, I did find out that G'Kar will be among the characters in the
design, so I'm already scheming to have the designers cut around him
when they remove the wrap. :-)

Aisling Grey

Michael J Wise

Dec 5, 2001, 7:24:20 PM12/5/01
Jms at B5 wrote:

> The rest I leave happily to your own disrection.

*WHAT* discression?

Aloha mai Nai`a, making plans for a party on 2002.01.19!
Hmmm... 119 is what you dial if you're in Japan....
--
"Please have your Internet License http://kapu.net/~mjwise/
and Usenet Registration handy..."

To...@fred.net

Dec 5, 2001, 7:53:38 PM12/5/01
This post on 05 Dec 2001 00:24:58 GMT would probably sound more commanding if Jms at B5 wasn't wearing the Yummy Sushi Pajamas:

: One thing, however, is self-evident about the coming broadcast of The Legend of

: the Rangers: if enough people tune it, there will be a series. If enough
: don't, there won't.

We've been here before, haven't we? Before Algore invented the Internet and
we relied on GEnie to pass word along about TWCNBN.

Time to saddle up again.

Thanks, Joe.

--
To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr

* Faith Manages...... But Willow is in Tech Support
* "Hello, girls.... I'm the Easter Bunny!" - Janet Reno, "South Park"
* Look out! If Bender says "ass", Katherine Harris will appear!
* This .sig brought to you by the "Boxleitner/Doyle-2004" Election
Committee.

"Tonight's grudge match: Sabrina v. Willow v. Harry Potter. Discuss."
- Darth Kirby

Mary Kay Bergman 1961-1999 -
http://tvcomedy.about.com/tvradio/tvcomedy/library/weekly/aa111899.htm

Wesley Struebing

Dec 5, 2001, 8:12:46 PM12/5/01
On 5 Dec 2001 22:40:35 GMT, zof...@deepthot.org (Cheryl Martin) wrote:

>In article <20011205164053...@mb-fc.aol.com>,
>Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>>>Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
>>>please! please!) :-D
>>

>>That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring
>>character, and see other known B5 characters along the way.
>
>Yay!
>
>Um....I'd love to see most of the B5 and Crusade
>characters..but...er..how about not having Lochley?

Oh, pooh! Spoilsport! Just no more holobrothel seens...<G>

--
Some work of noble note, may yet be done - Tennyson's "Ulysses"

Wes Struebing
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
str...@americanisp.com
ph: 303-343-9006
home page: http://silicon.americanisp.net/~struebing/

Andrew

Dec 5, 2001, 9:21:48 PM12/5/01

> >Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
> >please! please!) :-D
>
> That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring
character,
> and see other known B5 characters along the way.

"Recurring", with a frequency like Morden or Bester, occasionally during
arc-heavy episodes, or "recurring" with a frequency like Vir, every
two-three episodes or more?

--
Andrew
===============

Chris Schumacher

Dec 5, 2001, 10:30:49 PM12/5/01
On 05 Dec 2001 21:40:53 GMT, jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:

>>Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
>>please! please!) :-D
>
>That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring character,
>and see other known B5 characters along the way.
>
> jms

How important is this pan to the story? Is it kind of like the
Apocalypse Box in Crusade? Thus is the cook on the ship terribly
important?
Does the pan have its own trading card?
Is there a possibility of the pan being in a relationship with a
member of the cast?
Don't you really wish you had a pan right now, and me within striking
distance?

-==Kensu==-
Oh, that was a typo from the Japanese B5 group; really, the main
character is a piece of bread.

Chris Schumacher

Dec 5, 2001, 10:34:37 PM12/5/01
Or, or, you could say I was being a real pan in the ass!

Or even you could say we ate Utter, and he's in our stomachs!
Ha ha ...Forget that last one.

-==Kensu==-

Lurker

Dec 5, 2001, 10:49:48 PM12/5/01

"Cheryl Martin" <zof...@deepthot.org> wrote in message

> In article <20011205164053...@mb-fc.aol.com>,
> Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
> >>Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
> >>please! please!) :-D
> >

> >That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring
> >character, and see other known B5 characters along the way.
>
> Yay!
>
> Um....I'd love to see most of the B5 and Crusade
> characters..but...er..how about not having Lochley?

I liked Lochley in Crusade. There, but not always. :-)

E. John Roth III

Dec 5, 2001, 11:19:32 PM12/5/01
Jan wrote:

My GF wants her in that cute thing she wore in The Well of Souls... I
guess she IS popular with women.

E. John Roth III

E. John Roth III

Dec 5, 2001, 11:20:28 PM12/5/01
Jay Denebeim wrote:

Moderator bias :P

E, John Roth III

E. John Roth III

Dec 5, 2001, 11:21:25 PM12/5/01
"Michael P. Casey" wrote:

If you rag on Lyta thats a troll Mods Mods!!!

E. John Roth III

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 5, 2001, 11:48:21 PM12/5/01
>>Chris Schumacher wrote:

Yes...yes. There is a little bit of Uter in all of us.

Aisling Grey

Jay Denebeim

Dec 6, 2001, 3:36:57 AM12/6/01
In article <PFxP7.9$H72...@typhoon.nyu.edu>,

Michael P. Casey <mpc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>What's so bad about Lochley?

Scoggins actually. She looks like a frog IMO. I also find her really
annoying. Note this is *Scoggins* not the character.

>(The Centauri woman on "Sic Transit Vir" a few nights ago kept me
>constantly cringing, and Lyta often has the same effect...)

Different strokes. I thought she played the part wonderfully.

Andrew Spray

Dec 6, 2001, 6:50:39 AM12/6/01
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Andrew wrote:

> > That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring
> > character, and see other known B5 characters along the way.
>
> "Recurring", with a frequency like Morden or Bester, occasionally during
> arc-heavy episodes, or "recurring" with a frequency like Vir, every
> two-three episodes or more?

If I may throw an opinion onto the fire, then I'd prefer the former. That
way, G'Kar could be important without overshadowing/dominating the
show. Also, to further risk annoying people:), I'd like to add my name to
the 'Lochley wasn't that bad really' group. Besides, given the timescale
no Lochley would mean no Babylon 5 (the location). This may not be a bad
thing - you probably wouldn't want them going there every few weeks, for
example - but nor would you want the station to be totally ignored. After
all, sooner or later, everyone comes to *WHAM*WHAM*WHAM*WHAM*WHAM*

--
Andrew Spray "It is said that the future is always born in pain. The
history of war is the history of pain. If we are wise, what is born of

Jan

Dec 6, 2001, 6:58:59 AM12/6/01
E. John Roth III wrote:

<<My GF wants her in that cute thing she wore in The Well of Souls... I
guess she IS popular with women.>>

I don't care what she wears, I liked her best sparring with Garibaldi and
matching wits with Gideon.

Jan

E. John Roth III

Dec 6, 2001, 8:46:15 AM12/6/01
Jan wrote:

I have used the "I haven't seen intelligence overt or covert" In fact I have
been un-impressed with our intelligence pre-Step. 11. I will with hold
judgment about since then. I really didn't care for the Gideon romance it
seemed forced. Then again the Sheriden/Delenn romace left me cold. Cath was
less kind about that - she said that Delenn would have done better with Zack.

E. John Roth III

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 6, 2001, 10:28:50 AM12/6/01
>>Jan wrote:

Hear, hear.

I don't have the problem with Lochley that so many others seem to have,
and I generally feel vaguely uncomfortable in groups of people
discussing her -- like, there must be something wrong with me for _not_
despising her! So, I'm glad to see some showing for the converse
opinion here.

But I wonder if anyone can give me a quick thumbnail sketch of what's
supposed to be so objectionable about her? TS's acting is fine; she's
got a decent military bearing (more military than that
24-hour-a-day-tea-drinking Picard on TNG, in any case!). What's so bad
about her?

Aisling Grey

James Bell

Dec 6, 2001, 10:39:22 AM12/6/01
"Aisling Willow Grey" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message

She's not Claudia Christian.

Other than that, she's ok. I liked her better in Crusade than in Season 5
of B5. It is probably a familiarity factor. I didn't particularly like
Ivanova at first, either.

Jim

watkins julia k

Dec 6, 2001, 11:13:58 AM12/6/01
"James Bell" <jam...@naxs.com> writes:

>Jim

I can deal with her not being Claudia Christian; nothing else to be done
at that point. I like her better when I pretend the past with Sheridan
doesn't exist. It clutters up his past unnecessarily -- there's no
thematic use for it. I wish jms had come up with another reason why
Sheridan trusts Lochley. There was a couple of awkward scenes and
a few bad jokes, ehh. All the places that I like her a lot have nothing
to do with The Secret.

Julie

Mike Hennebry

Dec 6, 2001, 11:18:37 AM12/6/01
In article <3C0F76A7...@oklahoma.net>,

E. John Roth III <jr...@oklahoma.net> wrote:
>seemed forced. Then again the Sheriden/Delenn romace left me cold. Cath was
>less kind about that - she said that Delenn would have done better with Zack.

At one time, this one expected Delenn to get Lennier.

--
Mike henn...@web.cs.ndsu.NoDak.edu
Iluvatar is the better part of Valar.

Mike Hennebry

Dec 6, 2001, 11:27:12 AM12/6/01
In article <mkzP7.47$Hj7....@news.abs.net>, <To...@Fred.Net> wrote:
>We've been here before, haven't we? Before Algore invented the Internet and
>we relied on GEnie to pass word along about TWCNBN.

Would you quote Al Gore's claim? I've often heard the claim that AG
claimed to have invented the internet, but never the claim itself. I
have also heard that it's just a lie that has drowned out the truth.

>"Tonight's grudge match: Sabrina v. Willow v. Harry Potter. Discuss."
> - Darth Kirby

Why aren't Gandalf or Saruman in the match?

Rob Scott

Dec 6, 2001, 11:51:21 AM12/6/01
"James Bell" <jam...@naxs.com> wrote ...

> "Aisling Willow Grey" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
> > But I wonder if anyone can give me a quick thumbnail sketch of what's
> > supposed to be so objectionable about her?>
>
> She's not Claudia Christian.

I think that's it for me too -- or more to the point, her character isn't
Ivanova.

Every "Lochley" episode just served to remind me that I didn't really *want*
to find out more about this person -- I wanted to know what would have
happened to Ivanova!! Grrrr.

I think the fifth season would have been *much* better with Ivanova. (And
with a bit less telepath agnst.)

Rob Scott

Mac Breck

Dec 6, 2001, 11:58:48 AM12/6/01

I think Pat Tallman was perfect as Lyta, and that actress who played
Lyndisty was perfect in her role as well. With regard to CC as Ivanova, CC
seemed like a natural in that role (perfect casting).

Mac Breck
------------------------
Vorlon Empire

"To Live and Die in Starlight"
pilot movie for "Babylon 5 - The Legend of the Rangers"
January 19, 2002 at 9PM on The Sci-Fi Channel.

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/ http://www.b5lr.com/

Mac Breck

Dec 6, 2001, 12:02:19 PM12/6/01

I'm not precisely sure of all the things that cause it, but whenever I see
her as the Captain in B5 or Crusade, I don't see the character, but rather I
see an actor acting. I cannot suspend disbelief enough to see her as really
*in that role*.

It's as if you'd NEVER, EVER see someone who looks like that (big eyes,
sharp, angular features), and sounds like that (husky, smoky voice), AND is
made up like that (i.e. with that much eye makeup; she would have looked
better if she'd been more plain, clean and neat with very little makeup), in
that position. I can see her as a saloon girl in a western, the story of an
up and coming female weight lifter or personal trainer, or in the role she
had on Lois & Clark, but not as an EA Captain in 2261. No offense to JMS,
and I'm certainly no professional TV/Film Critic, but to me, it was just bad
casting. She may be good in other roles, but this isn't the one for her.
It was too much of a stretch. She stands out like a sore thumb, and because
of that, I can't stay *in* the story.

It's as if you wouldn't see that face, that voice, that body, and that
intelligence [1] all in the same person. She might be good as say somebody
who's artificially engineered, but you wouldn't see this combination
occurring in nature.

Similarly, it would look weird to see:

1. a knockout cheerleader as a college senior in electrical engineering, or

2. the worst looking person you remember from high school becoming a top
model immediately after high school.

From the neck up, Scoggins' features are so striking that I have a hard time
noticing anything but that. The brightness and contrast of those features
**has to be** toned down so that they don't dominate the scene. They're
just too bright, harsh, and brassy to notice anything else nearby.

In the following examples, I'm drawn right to her eyes and face, and I'm
riveted there. If I saw her in person, one day later, I wouldn't be able to
tell you what she was wearing unless she was dressed in a clown suit from
the neck down (and I have a photographic memory!). It's as if there's an 8x
neutral density filter covering everything but her head and shoulders.

Examples:

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/0838-rea/scoggins.tra

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/1151/wi20010401_TracyScoggins_Granitz_163927
.jpg

http://i.imdb.com/Photos/Events/0285-hum/scoggins.tra

Don't ask me why I *can* see Ivanova in that position (EA Commander or
Captain). CC just seems to "fit" as Ivanova. It just worked. Well,
CC/Ivanova had smoother features, and wasn't made up as harshly. To me,
Ivanova's most attractive look was with her hair pulled back, because it
accentuated her gorgeous.eyes. Still, she just looked smooth and
professional, not overly made up. Yes, Ivanova worked for me, but Lochley
*definitely* didn't.

ps. I'm not trying to insult *anybody* by this. I'm just trying to explain
it, in my own, admittedly ham-handed, layman's way.

[1] I seem to remember reading somewhere that she's a pretty smart cookie.

Mac Breck

Dec 6, 2001, 12:05:18 PM12/6/01
> Also, to further risk annoying people:), I'd like to add my name to
> the 'Lochley wasn't that bad really' group. Besides, given the timescale
> no Lochley would mean no Babylon 5 (the location).

The role of Lochley *could be* recast. No, I don't see it happening, but it
could be done.

WRWhite963

Dec 6, 2001, 12:36:31 PM12/6/01
>Would you quote Al Gore's claim? I've often heard the claim that AG
>claimed to have invented the internet, but never the claim itself. I
>have also heard that it's just a lie that has drowned out the truth.

About five minutes of gandering a google search came up with a lot of info, but
the following link:

http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/

... seems to be a good overview. Gore was talking about his role in
encouraging the Internet as it developed into the 1990's - starting his
interest around 1988. Of course, the internet existed long before then, so
it's really a matter of semantics. Unfortunately for Gore, his phrasing made
it seem like he was taking credit for inventing the concept, rather than
championing the development. Poor choice of words on his point.

The quote (from a transcription part of the document link above) is:

GORE: Well, I will be offering - I'll be offering my vision when my campaign
begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be
compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.

But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to
every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the
United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took
the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven
to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection,
improvements in our educational system.

WRW

Cheryl Martin

Dec 6, 2001, 12:54:12 PM12/6/01
In article <9uo3c9$8l5$1...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,

That's not it for me. And I don't agree that Scoggins acting is fine.
Every time she was on the screen, I had to restrain myself from
switching the channel or fastforwarding. I can't really put my finger
on it...maybe it's her voice or her look or the way she says her
lines. I don't find it believable and I do find it irritating.

I don't particularly care for Sheridan either but I think the Box did
a fine job with the character. I have/had no trouble watching
Sheridan (except for the "romantic" scenes with Delenn).

Cheryl
(maybe I'm a shadow minion)
--
% This post brought to you by the letter "Z" and the number 42 %
% Cheryl L Martin %
% Moderator: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated, soc.personals %
% http://grumpywitch.org %

Dylan Hankel

Dec 6, 2001, 3:27:37 PM12/6/01
The fan campaign is essential of course but Sci Fi needs to really step up
the TV ads for LoTR and hype it a lot more on the Sci Fi airwaves too. They
seem to hype "80s horror movie of the week" more than they do their own
shows. People really need to have the show ingrained into their minds so
it'll truly catch on and take hold. Otherwise everything else they're doing
is great and I was blown away by the fact that a Rangers trailer will be in
front of Lord of the Rings.

Dylan H.

James Bell

Dec 6, 2001, 1:44:42 PM12/6/01
"WRWhite963" <wrwhi...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Would you quote Al Gore's claim? I've often heard the claim that AG
> >claimed to have invented the internet, but never the claim itself. I
> >have also heard that it's just a lie that has drowned out the truth.
>
> About five minutes of gandering a google search came up with a lot of
info, but
> the following link:
>
> http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/
>
> ... seems to be a good overview. Gore was talking about his role in
> encouraging the Internet as it developed into the 1990's - starting his
> interest around 1988. Of course, the internet existed long before then,
so
> it's really a matter of semantics. Unfortunately for Gore, his phrasing
made
> it seem like he was taking credit for inventing the concept, rather than
> championing the development. Poor choice of words on his point.

It is interesting what an interpretation can do to a statement. While many
interpret the statement as Gore claiming to invent the Internet, others,
knowing he did no such thing of course, claim he didn't mean it that way but
rather, that he "championed the development" to use your phrase.

Why not let the statement stand on its own:

>During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in
creating the Internet.

He meant what he said. He didn't mean he "invented" the Internet and he
didn't mean he "championed the development" of the Internet. He meant he
"took the initiative in creating the Internet," because that is what he
said. He was incredibly and stupidly wrong but I think he probably believed
what he was saying. He was probably on some committee at some point that
probably allocated some funds to something relating to computers and Al
looked back in retrospect and assumed the Internet was a result of his
Congressional work.

He neither invented the Internet nor championed its development. Either of
these two other interpretations would make him a liar. I prefer to give him
the benefit of the doubt and just consider him as stupid.

Jim

James Bell

Dec 6, 2001, 1:47:56 PM12/6/01
"Rob Scott" <spam...@lagrangepoint.com> wrote in message

I think the telepath plot was fine. It was the characterization of Byron
and his followers that made it weak. If the rogues were more like the early
season two rogues rather than walking shampoo commercials it might have been
better.

Jim

Otto Martin

Dec 6, 2001, 3:23:36 AM12/6/01
Chris Schumacher <kensu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>On 05 Dec 2001 21:40:53 GMT, jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:
>>That actually would be part of the pan,
>Don't you really wish you had a pan right now, and me within striking
>distance?

I read that as "streaking distance". No idea why.

Otto Martin
--
"... or, as those who have learned to command the unholy
power of the buzzword say, to ..."

Michael P. Casey

Dec 6, 2001, 12:29:46 AM12/6/01

"E. John Roth III" <jr...@oklahoma.net> wrote in message

Does it come up often? I may be new to the group, but I assure you, I am no
troll.

I still think she should've kept to doing stunts, and ONLY stunts...

MPC

Birgit Schindlbeck

Dec 6, 2001, 7:32:18 AM12/6/01

Jms at B5 schrieb:

> >Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
> >please! please!) :-D
>

> That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring character,
> and see other known B5 characters along the way.
>

> jms

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes!!!! *excitedly jumping up and down and clappig her hands*
;-)

See you!
Birgit

(as always a little late on the topic, as - unfortunately - I can't spend the whole
night at a computer. :-( )

Yawgoog

Dec 5, 2001, 6:29:07 PM12/5/01
> If every B5 fan tunes in, it happens. It's really that simple and
straightforward.

Perhaps someone who knows more about how ratings works can help me with this.
I'm not a nielson family. I don't know of any monitoring devices on my cable
network (time warner) <g>. How does my watching the episode help in this quest
(or not watching hurt it)? Does anyone know if I do watch, or is it just
rallying a small section of the country that has monitoring?

This isn't a 'do I watch it?' reply, but more of an inquiry of how this stuff
works and how a studio knows how popular a show really is. Because I'd really
like to know how survivor could be considered so popular. :-) Grass roots
efforts in TV do work, Sailor Moon (which isn't nearly as good as B5), got back
on the air partly due to a fan campaign.

I suggest bribing friends to watch it as well with pizza. Get them into the
show, it's easier to watch one movie than an episode halfway through a story
arc.

In the mean time, can someone recommend a good coma inducing seditive that'll
last me a few weeks so I don't have to wait as long for January to come around?

David E. Bath

Dec 6, 2001, 12:15:59 PM12/6/01
to david...@bigfoot.com
In article <9umpin$iq2$1...@news.dtcc.edu>,
we...@apache.dtcc.edu (Ken Weaverling) writes:
> In article <20011204192458...@mb-mq.aol.com>,

> Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>
>>This time, it's the fans who have the power to make that decision.

>>If every B5 fan tunes in, it happens. It's really that simple and
>>straightforward.
>
> Isn't it actually a matter of how many people who happen to be in a nielson
> or arbitron family that watch it that really counts?
>
> I mean, has anyone on this newgroup ever been literally counted?

I had a Nielson 1 week viewing logbook during the original run of the
3rd season. I would watch the show live and record it, then view it a
second time a day or so later. They wanted both viewings listed in
the log, and they got it. :)

David Bath mailto:david...@bigfoot.com

Rob Scott

Dec 6, 2001, 2:02:31 PM12/6/01
"James Bell" <jam...@naxs.com> wrote ...
> I think the telepath plot was fine. It was the characterization of Byron
> and his followers that made it weak. If the rogues were more like the
early
> season two rogues rather than walking shampoo commercials it might have
been
> better.

You are probably right. I simply found the telepath thread depressing,
boring and pretty darn predictable. By the time they went up in flames, I
was saying to myself, "It's about time!"

It's the only part of B5 I felt that way about.

Rob Scott

Jay Denebeim

Dec 6, 2001, 2:35:12 PM12/6/01
In article <alDP7.1$ei4...@typhoon.nyu.edu>,

Michael P. Casey <mpc...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>I still think she should've kept to doing stunts, and ONLY stunts...

Well, Pat Tallman is not that great of an actor, I definately agree
with that. She is a real sweetie though, I've met her, she's
vivacious and friendly and alot of fun to be around. I think that
likeability comes through on the screen. I also think she got better
as time went on in the show.

Anyway, I'd rather watch her than Andrea Thompson any day of the
week. (BTW anyone else here find it creepy watching Talia Winters
giving the news? Especially given the news now a days is sounding
like B5 anyway?)

Joseph DeMartino

Dec 6, 2001, 3:12:43 PM12/6/01
> In the following examples, I'm drawn right to her eyes and face, and I'm riveted
there. <

I agree that her face and eyes are stiking, but if you can't focus on anything
beyond them in the photos you linked to, let me be the first to suggest an eye
exam. Or maybe an overall physical. <g>

Joe

Chris Schumacher

Dec 6, 2001, 3:29:32 PM12/6/01
On Thu, 6 Dec 2001 08:23:36 +0000 (UTC), Otto Martin
<oma...@students.cc.tut.fi> wrote:

>Chris Schumacher <kensu...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>On 05 Dec 2001 21:40:53 GMT, jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:
>>>That actually would be part of the pan,
>>Don't you really wish you had a pan right now, and me within striking
>>distance?
>
>I read that as "streaking distance". No idea why.

Having myself, sans clothes, being chased around by a pan-wielding JMS
would be an experience that I'm pretty sure none of the newsgroup
would survive with their eyesigh entact.

-==Kensu==-
Who sees it as if in an Ultima game. Character icon dressed as JMS
chasing around a Naked Avatar character with a frying pan. "Thou wilt
regret thine actions, swine!" "Please forgive me!" "Thy blood shall
soil the land!" "Stop, I beg thee!" "Curse thy offspring!"

Andrew

Dec 6, 2001, 4:47:45 PM12/6/01
"Mac Breck" <macb...@access995.com> wrote in message

> [...]

Is the problem with Lochley stemming from the *actress* or from the
*character*? Personally, in my case it's the latter, in which case recasting
wouldn't do a darn bit of good.

But hey, maybe she can be seriously injured, so that she's sent back to
Earth for a few months & Corwin is left in charge.

--
Andrew
===============

E. John Roth III

Dec 6, 2001, 4:56:12 PM12/6/01
Jay Denebeim wrote:

> In article <alDP7.1$ei4...@typhoon.nyu.edu>,
> Michael P. Casey <mpc...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >I still think she should've kept to doing stunts, and ONLY stunts...
>
> Well, Pat Tallman is not that great of an actor, I definately agree
> with that. She is a real sweetie though, I've met her, she's
> vivacious and friendly and alot of fun to be around. I think that
> likeability comes through on the screen. I also think she got better
> as time went on in the show.

Jealous

> Anyway, I'd rather watch her than Andrea Thompson any day of the
> week. (BTW anyone else here find it creepy watching Talia Winters
> giving the news? Especially given the news now a days is sounding
> like B5 anyway?)

I and Cath have often made remarks like - oh great CNN has been bought by
Psycorps or Hey look it's control. The only way it would have worked
better is if she was working for that Clarkian news channel Fox News. Fox
news doesn't even try not to be as right wing as hell. Funny bit was I
asked Cath (who knows Arabic and othe regonal delects) how bad Al Jeezra
really is on bais. Her reply, "As fair and balanced as Fox News." My
reply, "Oh that bad." But yes Andrea Thompson is creepy. Way too creepy.

> Jay
> --
> I'm looking for a job, for my resume please see:
> http://www.deepthot.org:2001/denebeim.html

E. John Roth III

E. John Roth III

Dec 6, 2001, 5:00:22 PM12/6/01
WRWhite963 wrote:

> >Would you quote Al Gore's claim? I've often heard the claim that AG
> >claimed to have invented the internet, but never the claim itself. I
> >have also heard that it's just a lie that has drowned out the truth.
>
> About five minutes of gandering a google search came up with a lot of info, but
> the following link:
>
> http://www.firstmonday.dk/issues/issue5_10/wiggins/

> GORE: Well, I will be offering - I'll be offering my vision when my campaign
> begins. And it will be comprehensive and sweeping. And I hope that it will be
> compelling enough to draw people toward it. I feel that it will be.
>
> But it will emerge from my dialogue with the American people. I've traveled to
> every part of this country during the last six years. During my service in the
> United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet. I took
> the initiative in moving forward a whole range of initiatives that have proven
> to be important to our country's economic growth and environmental protection,
> improvements in our educational system.
>
> WRW

You know it was screw ups like that, the internet thing and the "Love Story" bit,
that made me think he really did not want the job. In retrospect maybe he is glad
this isn't his watch.

E. John Roth III

E. John Roth III

Dec 6, 2001, 5:04:50 PM12/6/01
watkins julia k wrote:

> The Secret.
>
> Julie

So what <is> her involvement with The Terrible Secret of Space? Is she the
pusher robot in a changling net?

E. John Roth III
(Betting two ppl will get this)

E. John Roth III

Dec 6, 2001, 5:07:25 PM12/6/01
James Bell wrote:

Stephen Rea as Byron would have worked much better. The TeleGoths (c) annoyed
the hell out of me - I kept thinking "Hey have you kids every been in a cult
before"?

E. John Roth III

Dec 6, 2001, 5:10:51 PM12/6/01
> .
>
> I don't particularly care for Sheridan either but I think the Box did
> a fine job with the character. I have/had no trouble watching
> Sheridan (except for the "romantic" scenes with Delenn).

His speeches at frist were painful. Cath and a friend of mine Micheal don't
think he would have ever seen Capt. in any real Navy/Spacefleet. Again EA was
runnig low on ppl - kinda like the Taliban is now. Tech levels matter in war -
trust us.

> Cheryl
> (maybe I'm a shadow minion)

It could be worse you could be Bunny.

> --
> % This post brought to you by the letter "Z" and the number 42 %
> % Cheryl L Martin %
> % Moderator: rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated, soc.personals %
> % http://grumpywitch.org %

E. John Roth III

E. John Roth III

Dec 6, 2001, 5:17:43 PM12/6/01
Yawgoog wrote:

> > If every B5 fan tunes in, it happens. It's really that simple and
> straightforward.
>

> This isn't a 'do I watch it?' reply, but more of an inquiry of how this stuff
> works and how a studio knows how popular a show really is. Because I'd really
> like to know how survivor could be considered so popular. :-) Grass roots
> efforts in TV do work, Sailor Moon (which isn't nearly as good as B5), got back
> on the air partly due to a fan campaign.

Who are these sick ppl that brought Sailor Moon to the states? I want names,
addresses, and next of kin. I also need to book a Corut in the Hauge for the crimes
agaist humanity trail these ppl have erned themselves. As for B5:LOTR love to see
it but alas no Sci-Fi channel here.

E. John Roth III

Mac Breck

Dec 6, 2001, 6:40:06 PM12/6/01
Dec 6, 2001, 7:01:03 PM12/6/01
Dec 6, 2001, 7:11:46 PM12/6/01
> >I still think she should've kept to doing stunts, and ONLY stunts...
>
> Well, Pat Tallman is not that great of an actor, I definately agree
> with that.

Name me a bad Pat Tallman scene that didn't include Byron.

To me, Lyta always comes across 1000 times more believable than Lochley.

> She is a real sweetie though, I've met her, she's
> vivacious and friendly and alot of fun to be around. I think that
> likeability comes through on the screen. I also think she got better
> as time went on in the show.

Agreed, but then again, I liked her in The Gathering.

Mac Breck

Dec 6, 2001, 7:14:35 PM12/6/01

Personally, in my case it's the former, in which case recasting
would do a world of good.

Mac Breck

Dec 6, 2001, 7:19:57 PM12/6/01
Dec 6, 2001, 6:38:39 PM12/6/01
Aisling Grew wrote:

<<What's so bad about her?>>

The short answer is: She's not Ivanova. I think a lot of the negativity of CC
leaving ended up splattering the new character. It's a shame.

Jan

Lisa Coulter

Dec 6, 2001, 5:46:04 PM12/6/01
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote in message news:<20011205164053...@mb-fc.aol.com>...

> >Now, about keeping G'Kar on if the show goes to series.... (please!
> >please! please!) :-D
>
> That actually would be part of the pan, to have G'Kar as a recurring character,
> and see other known B5 characters along the way.
>
> jms
>
> (jms...@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Yes! Sounds great. :)

Lisa Coulter

Wesley Struebing

Dec 6, 2001, 8:21:06 PM12/6/01
On Thu, 06 Dec 2001 13:32:18 +0100, Birgit Schindlbeck
<Kh...@megami.de> wrote:

<snip>

>(as always a little late on the topic, as - unfortunately - I can't spend the whole
>night at a computer. :-( )

Now, Birgit, you need to get your priorities straight, here. You
obviously keep letting real life intrude. Oh, shame!

(grinning, ducking and running fro the NBS...)
--
Some work of noble note, may yet be done - Tennyson's "Ulysses"

Wes Struebing
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
str...@americanisp.com
ph: 303-343-9006
home page: http://silicon.americanisp.net/~struebing/

Wesley Struebing

Dec 6, 2001, 8:44:11 PM12/6/01
On 6 Dec 2001 17:54:12 GMT, zof...@deepthot.org (Cheryl Martin) wrote:

>In article <9uo3c9$8l5$1...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
>James Bell <jam...@naxs.com> wrote:

<snip>

>>She's not Claudia Christian.
>>
>>Other than that, she's ok. I liked her better in Crusade than in Season 5
>>of B5. It is probably a familiarity factor. I didn't particularly like
>>Ivanova at first, either.
>
>That's not it for me. And I don't agree that Scoggins acting is fine.
>Every time she was on the screen, I had to restrain myself from
>switching the channel or fastforwarding. I can't really put my finger
>on it...maybe it's her voice or her look or the way she says her
>lines. I don't find it believable and I do find it irritating.
>

>I don't particularly care for Sheridan either but I think the Box did
>a fine job with the character. I have/had no trouble watching
>Sheridan (except for the "romantic" scenes with Delenn).

I tend to agree with you, though I'm not *quite so bad about it. My
problem (or at least part of it) is that I kept flashing to "Lois and
Clark" - and she stunk in that show.

The only time I really was able to tolerate her was in "Day of the
Dead" - and, occasionally during her, er, repartee with Gideon.

<G> She may be a nice lady and all that, but she just grates on me...

Mac Breck

Dec 6, 2001, 9:09:22 PM12/6/01
"Wesley Struebing" <str...@americanisp.com> wrote in message

> On 6 Dec 2001 17:54:12 GMT, zof...@deepthot.org (Cheryl Martin) wrote:
>
> >In article <9uo3c9$8l5$1...@solaris.cc.vt.edu>,
> >James Bell <jam...@naxs.com> wrote:
> <snip>
> >>
> >>She's not Claudia Christian.
> >>
> >>Other than that, she's ok. I liked her better in Crusade than in Season
5
> >>of B5. It is probably a familiarity factor. I didn't particularly like
> >>Ivanova at first, either.
> >
> >That's not it for me. And I don't agree that Scoggins acting is fine.
> >Every time she was on the screen, I had to restrain myself from
> >switching the channel or fastforwarding. I can't really put my finger
> >on it...maybe it's her voice or her look or the way she says her
> >lines. I don't find it believable and I do find it irritating.
> >
> >I don't particularly care for Sheridan either but I think the Box did
> >a fine job with the character. I have/had no trouble watching
> >Sheridan (except for the "romantic" scenes with Delenn).
> >

> I tend to agree with you, though I'm not *quite so bad about it. My
> problem (or at least part of it) is that I kept flashing to "Lois and
> Clark" - and she stunk in that show.

I thought she was a *better* fit in Lois and Clark.

> The only time I really was able to tolerate her was in "Day of the
> Dead" - and, occasionally during her, er, repartee with Gideon.

Agreed. Those were some of her best moments.

> <G> She may be a nice lady and all that, but she just grates on me...

Again, agreed. From what I've read, here and elsewhere, she seems like a
nice person with a good work ethic.

Joseph DeMartino

Dec 6, 2001, 9:17:26 PM12/6/01
> Personally, Pat Tallman would be the one for me (if that darn Jeff Willerth
hadn't stolen her away <g>) <

Yeah, but even if he was out of the picture, you'd have to get past *me*. <g>

> Next would be CC, Marie Marshall (Dodger),
Andrea Thompson, Mira Furlan, and from Crusade: Carrie Dobro. :-) <

All reasonable choices, but I'd move Andrea to the bottom of the list and move
Mira (something about the way she smiles) and Carrie nearer the top.

(Like I'd have a shot with *any* of them. <g>)

Regards,

Joe

AndrSwllw

Dec 6, 2001, 10:22:56 PM12/6/01
In article <9uobc4$tnm$1...@dent.deepthot.org>, zof...@deepthot.org (Cheryl
Martin) writes:

>That's not it for me. And I don't agree that Scoggins acting is fine.
>Every time she was on the screen, I had to restrain myself from
>switching the channel or fastforwarding. I can't really put my finger
>on it...maybe it's her voice or her look or the way she says her
>lines. I don't find it believable and I do find it irritating.

In Babylon 5 Lockley was meant to be the tough captain.
A traditional man's role. Unfortunately Scoggins is not a
tom boy.

In Crusage Lockley is the sexy girl friend. Tracy just has
to play herself.

Andrew Swallow

Laura Appelbaum

Dec 6, 2001, 10:50:38 PM12/6/01

<To...@Fred.Net> wrote in message news:mkzP7.47$Hj7....@news.abs.net...
> This post on 05 Dec 2001 00:24:58 GMT would probably sound more commanding
if Jms at B5 wasn't wearing the Yummy Sushi Pajamas:

> : One thing, however, is self-evident about the coming broadcast of The
Legend of
> : the Rangers: if enough people tune it, there will be a series. If
enough
> : don't, there won't.
>
> We've been here before, haven't we? Before Algore invented the Internet
and
> we relied on GEnie to pass word along about TWCNBN.
>
> Time to saddle up again.

There's a big difference between Now and Then however, which is that Then,
no one had seen B5 or Crusade (as to the latter, some of us *still* wish
they hadn't). Now, it's a known quanitity. I'm really dubious that people
who either didn't tune into B5 in the first, second, third, or whatever
place over the last eight years, or who did but didn't care for it, are
going to watch a spin-off , especially given that for better or worse, B5 is
jms' lock, stock and barrel -- it's not like the original series was written
and produced by one group of people and Rangers is being written and
produced by another with only the executive producer in common. At *best*,
Rangers may hold on to the existing B5 fan base, give or take a few
thousand -- especially with the added disadvantage of the limited viewership
and availability of the SciFi Channel (as an example, several years ago the
Washington DC cable system dropped SFC to nary a complaint -- and this was
in a city where there were *alot* of fans when the show was in syndication
and on TNT.) . But I really doubt you're going to see people who've managed
to ignore the original series to date giving a damn about Rangers no matter
how many cars SciFi Channel puts billboards on. So really what it comes
down to is whether SFC feels they can make a profit producing a show that
brings in a million and a half regular viewers.

LMA

Laura Appelbaum

Dec 6, 2001, 10:53:15 PM12/6/01

"Ken Weaverling" <we...@apache.dtcc.edu> wrote in message

> In article <20011204192458...@mb-mq.aol.com>,
> Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> >This time, it's the fans who have the power to make that decision.
> >If every B5 fan tunes in, it happens. It's really that simple and
> >straightforward.
>
> Isn't it actually a matter of how many people who happen to be in a
nielson
> or arbitron family that watch it that really counts?
>
> I mean, has anyone on this newgroup ever been literally counted?

We were a Nielson logbook family for a week or two about four years ago, but
my understanding is that even that means very little -- unless you have the
"peoplemeter," you effectively don't exist to advertisers. And advertisers
are what/who really determine the shows we see -- except on PBS and public
access of course.

LMA

WRWhite963

Dec 6, 2001, 11:05:16 PM12/6/01
>You are probably right. I simply found the telepath thread depressing,
>boring and pretty darn predictable. By the time they went up in flames, I
>was saying to myself, "It's about time!"
>
>It's the only part of B5 I felt that way about.
>
>Rob Scott

While I agree the whole telepath thing was one of my least favored bits of B5,
these days I've come to take a longer-term view when dealing with Mr.
Straczynski. It seems to me Joe wanted to set up the seeds of the Telepath War
for later down the road - which would have panned out nicely as a bit of
backstory to deliver, in bits and pieces as Joe is wont to do, in Crusade.
Probably still will happen with Rangers. If he hadn't done it then, he'd have
to flashback on the reasons for the Telepath War a lot more in future stories,
so it's nice to have a chunk of the motivation out of the way.

If I'd have hoped for any change in that arc, it would have been to tighten it
up a bit, so it wasn't such a prominent part of so many episodes, but carried
on in the background a bit more until things really heated up. As it was, I
always felt B5 didn't hit its stride again until the mid-point of Season 5,
with the Narn/Centuari/Drakh arc, which was delicious:-)

WRW

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 6, 2001, 11:23:31 PM12/6/01
>>E. John Roth III wrote:

Wow. What a fabulous bit of casting that would have been. I've always
wondered why he doesn't get more work outside of Neil Jordan projects;
he's just the kind of thoughtful, subtle, seasoned actor who tends to
perform JMS's words so well. I'd love to see him show up as some sort
of rogue something-or-other, a tarnished hero, in the Rangers series.

Aisling Grey

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 6, 2001, 11:37:21 PM12/6/01
>>Joseph DeMartino wrote:

The heck with the actors. Which _characters_ is a much more interesting
question, I think.

(And for the record, G'Kar and Marcus.) :-)

Aisling

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 6, 2001, 11:43:49 PM12/6/01
>>Laura Appelbaum wrote:
> <snip>

But I really doubt you're going to see people who've managed
> to ignore the original series to date giving a damn about Rangers no matter
> how many cars SciFi Channel puts billboards on.<<

Just curious...on what do you base this?

As an example that seems to refute this, I was a young child when Trek
TOS was on; I watched with my father and older sister, but I didn't
really get it until I was older. I watched TNG only sporadically; never
watched DS9 or VOY; and now watch Enterprise regularly. By your logic,
if I understand you correctly, I shouldn't be at all interested in
Enterprise.

Aisling Grey

Joseph DeMartino

Dec 6, 2001, 11:52:23 PM12/6/01
> The heck with the actors. Which _characters_ is a much more interesting
question, I think. <

Well, then Delenn is at the top, with Susan and Lyta coming up fast on the rail.
<g>

Regards,

Joe

WRWhite963

Dec 6, 2001, 11:18:18 PM12/6/01
>> WRW
>
>You know it was screw ups like that, the internet thing and the "Love Story"
>bit,
>that made me think he really did not want the job. In retrospect maybe he is
>glad
>this isn't his watch.
>
>E. John Roth III

In retrospect, *I'm* glad this isn't his watch....

WRW

WRWhite963

Dec 6, 2001, 11:16:58 PM12/6/01

>>During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in
>creating the Internet.
>
>He meant what he said. He didn't mean he "invented" the Internet and he
>didn't mean he "championed the development" of the Internet. He meant he
>"took the initiative in creating the Internet," because that is what he
>said.

I'm not a Gore apologist by any means - someone simply wanted the quote, so I
delivered it, and then my impression. I don't think when Gore said "The
Internet" he was thinking of the technology - he was thinking of what the
Internet became as a result of the technological advances through the 90's,
which was something he put his Congressional weight behind, such as it was. I
still think it's semantics, and while I agree Gore showed a lack of knowlege in
his statement, I think the lack of knowlege was regarding what the Internet is,
really, on a larger and yet more fundamental level than what it has become.
It's almost as if, for Gore, the Internet didn't really exist in any meaningful
form before they "expanded" it - which is naive, and stupid, all the same.

Your comment that he didn't champion development, however, was made without
regard to the record, which is referenced nicely at the link I provided.

Personally, I don't care in the slightest about the issue - it's old history.
Just providing the info for someone who asked... (I came across another site
before the one I provided, but it was blatantly pro-Gore - the one I settled on
was much more neutral.)

WRW

Chuen Chan

Dec 6, 2001, 11:07:25 PM12/6/01
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

> With regard to CC as Ivanova, CC
> seemed like a natural in that role (perfect casting).

what! you mean she wasn't hired because of her name!

*attempts to duck* *WHAM*

Sorry, couldn't resist. I was aghast by that suggestion myself when I first
read of it.

Chuen Chan c.c...@uq.NOSPAM.net.au
'You can prove anything you want by coldly logical reason - if you pick
the proper postulates... Postulates are based on assumption and adhered
to by faith. Nothing in the Universe can shake them.' I. Asimov

--
This transmission is for the intended addressee only and is confidential information. If you have received this transmission in error, please delete it and notify the sender. The contents of this e-mail are the opinion of the writer only and are not endorsed by the Mincom Group of companies unless expressly stated otherwise.

E. John Roth III

Dec 7, 2001, 1:31:09 AM12/7/01
Aisling Willow Grey wrote:

Another Neil Jordan head eh? Rea was in an HBO movie with Donald Sutherland call
Citzen X. I have no clue if that is on video. When I heard about Byron I hoped that
JMS wouldn't cast a Beefcake and I hate Bryon before he opened his mouth. But JMS
*if* you can get Rea you would make a lot of ppl happy.

E. John Roth III

E. John Roth III

Dec 7, 2001, 1:33:33 AM12/7/01
Aisling Willow Grey wrote:

> The heck with the actors. Which _characters_ is a much more interesting
> question, I think.
>
> (And for the record, G'Kar and Marcus.) :-)
>
> Aisling

Aisling you impressed my in other post with liking Rea and then you go a google over
Marcus: Loser Ranger.

E. John Roth III

Message has been deleted

Jay Denebeim

Dec 7, 2001, 5:19:59 AM12/7/01
In article <025101c17eb3$c46a4870$54d5c997@MACBRECK>,
Mac Breck <macb...@access995.com> wrote:

>> Well, Pat Tallman is not that great of an actor, I definately agree
>> with that.
>
>Name me a bad Pat Tallman scene that didn't include Byron.

Well, pretty much every one. She never seemed real to me.

Hmmm... here's a ponder: *why* did Byron look like Marcus? Sure if
it was *Ivanova* that was necessary. However CC quit the show before
the new season started production didn't she? So he couldn't have
been cast yet.

Jay
--
I'm looking for a job, for my resume please see:
http://www.deepthot.org:2001/denebeim.html

Jay Denebeim

Dec 7, 2001, 5:40:38 AM12/7/01
In article <dvVP7.113289$8n4.7...@e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com>,

Joseph DeMartino <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> Personally, Pat Tallman would be the one for me (if that darn Jeff Willerth
>hadn't stolen her away <g>) <
>
>Yeah, but even if he was out of the picture, you'd have to get past *me*. <g>
>
>> Next would be CC, Marie Marshall (Dodger),
>Andrea Thompson, Mira Furlan, and from Crusade: Carrie Dobro. :-) <
>
>All reasonable choices, but I'd move Andrea to the bottom of the list and move
>Mira (something about the way she smiles) and Carrie nearer the top.

Well, FWIW I'd probably choose Carrie Dobro first she sounds like alot
of fun, then CC, then PT, MF I really don't have a good feel for her
personality so I don't have an opinion.

Rob Scott

Dec 7, 2001, 7:27:56 AM12/7/01
"WRWhite963" <wrwhi...@aol.com> wrote ...

> While I agree the whole telepath thing was one of my least favored bits of
B5,
> these days I've come to take a longer-term view when dealing with Mr.
> Straczynski. It seems to me Joe wanted to set up the seeds of the
Telepath War
> for later down the road - which would have panned out nicely as a bit of
> backstory to deliver, in bits and pieces as Joe is wont to do, in Crusade.
> Probably still will happen with Rangers. If he hadn't done it then, he'd
have
> to flashback on the reasons for the Telepath War a lot more in future
stories,
> so it's nice to have a chunk of the motivation out of the way.
>
> If I'd have hoped for any change in that arc, it would have been to
tighten it
> up a bit, so it wasn't such a prominent part of so many episodes, but
carried
> on in the background a bit more until things really heated up. As it was,
> always felt B5 didn't hit its stride again until the mid-point of Season
5,
> with the Narn/Centuari/Drakh arc, which was delicious:-)

Oh yes, I agree. I am very much looking forward to the movie (or whatever)
about the Telepath War. The rest of season 5 was terrific. The Drakh stuff,
as you said, was equal to anything else in the entire series. I am still
blown away by the portrayal of the Drazi homeworld. The sets were amazing --
you really got the feeling this was a *civilization* and not just a generic
courtyard like most Trek episodes show.

Rob Scott

Rob Scott

Dec 7, 2001, 7:38:19 AM12/7/01
"Jeffrey Gustafson" <Psico...@webtv.net> wrote in ...
> Here's a curveball... I didn't like Lochely, or Ivanova. No fault in
> the characterization but in the execution. Scoggins and Christian are
> both horrible actresses. There's nothing left to be said, though I
> could tolerate Ivanova a great deal more than Lochely. I personally
> would've preferred Tamlyn Tomita's Laurel Takashima. Though we didn't
> see much of her, Tomita's acting ability has been proven elsewhere and
> the sheer interchangeability of all three roles makes it easy to see
> (for me, at least) that if Tomita had stayed, B5 would have been that
> much better.

Really?

I have not seen Tamlyn's acting elsewhere, but I was severely unimpressed
with her performance in _The Gathering_. Exceedingly cringeworthy as far as
I was concerned: poor timing, unconvincing emotions, you name it ... But
then again, maybe it was the director. What do I know?*

Rob Scott

* Hint: not much. :-)

Jan

Dec 7, 2001, 8:19:09 AM12/7/01
Rob Scott wrote:

<<I have not seen Tamlyn's acting elsewhere, but I was severely unimpressed
with her performance in _The Gathering_. Exceedingly cringeworthy as far as
I was concerned: poor timing, unconvincing emotions, you name it ... But
then again, maybe it was the director. What do I know?*>>

She was much better in the re-worked version of 'The Gathering" after JMS
replaced the softened track of her dialog with the way she'd originally
performed it.

Thing is, I really hated Ivanova in the first season. Until she got the poker
out of her butt she was horrible. One of the neat things about B5 is that JMS
managed to loosen her up gradually and believably.

I thought the same thing was happening with Lochley. Five years later
(Crusade) she was much more approachable.

Jan

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 7, 2001, 8:38:34 AM12/7/01

Yes, Citizen X was excellent, due in no small part to fine acting.

Geez, now that the idea is in my head (Rea in a JMS project), it's hard
to shake it!

Aisling Grey

Aisling Willow Grey

Dec 7, 2001, 8:44:26 AM12/7/01
>>E. John Roth III wrote:

Sorry, John. <g> But you'll notice he wasn't my _first_ choice.

And yeah, Marcus is certainly saddled with a variety of baggage, and is
somewhat emotionally retarded...but he's also very nice to look at, he
devoted his life to a noble cause, and he sings Gilbert & Sullivan
(albeit not that well). I'm a sucker for a guy who can sing a patter song.

(But given the choice, I'd prefer a guy who can sing Narn opera.) :-)

Aisling Grey

Aubrey W. Adkins

Dec 7, 2001, 8:47:33 AM12/7/01
Jeffrey Gustafson wrote:

> Here's a curveball... I didn't like Lochely, or Ivanova. No fault in
> the characterization but in the execution. Scoggins and Christian are
> both horrible actresses. There's nothing left to be said, though I
> could tolerate Ivanova a great deal more than Lochely. I personally
> would've preferred Tamlyn Tomita's Laurel Takashima. Though we didn't
> see much of her, Tomita's acting ability has been proven elsewhere and
> the sheer interchangeability of all three roles makes it easy to see
> (for me, at least) that if Tomita had stayed, B5 would have been that
> much better.
>

> -The Jeff
>
> Sheridan:"So how did you find out all of this?"
> Bester:"I'm a telepath. Work it out." <*>

Jeff,
There is a movie titled "Clean and Sober". If you can find a copy,
rent it and watch it. CC is in it as a supporting character. It is about
drug addiction, all the performances including hers are frighteningly
real. She is in one titled 'A Tale of Two Sisters". That one will have
you wondering what the hell you just watched untilthe credits finish
rolling. She is a decent actress.
Aubrey

David E. Powell

Dec 7, 2001, 9:29:33 AM12/7/01
jbon...@aol.com (Jan) wrote in message news:<20011206183839...@mb-fi.aol.com>...
> Aisling Grew wrote:
>
> <<What's so bad about her?>>
>
> The short answer is: She's not Ivanova. I think a lot of the negativity of CC
> leaving ended up splattering the new character. It's a shame.
>
> Jan

Agreed. It is tough coming in "cold" to a show, much less filling
shoes like that. I don't believe she was intended as a direct
replacement, but many viewers took it that way and got mad. I'm a fan
of Ms. Christian, but Ms. Scoggins wasn't the one behind her leaving
B5, whatever version of the story one tends to believe. On the subject
of comparing the two, I won't, because that would rest with my
opinion, and probably would start a furball going. As for Pat Tallman,
as mentioned earlier in the thread, I think she did a decent job.
Actually, make that a very good one. It is hard to think of anyone on
the B5 project that didn't. One of the reasons was the quality of the
writing. Good actors with good writing work. You can get good actors
without good writing, and it can still fall flat, unless you have
someone like Kurt Russell that can totally improvise a scene just with
body posture and facial gestures, that gets past a lack of dialogue.
Though with crappy writing and directing filling all the space in a
movie, he still has some problems. (See: "Tango and Cash.") If Russell
is going to do a movie with either little dialogue, or a lot of badly
done dialogue, he tends to do better in one with less dialogue, thanks
to his skills. Of course, with good dialogue to add to the mix, he is
superb.

Hell, Roddy Piper kicked ass in "They Live." He wasn't a world beating
actor in his other projects, but the writing and directing in that one
were awesome.

DEP

"Um, Ray, what happens when a Werewolf bites somebody?"

"They turn into a werewolf."

"And, what happens when a Vampire bites somebody?"

"They turn into a vampire."

"So, what happens when a werewolf bites a vampire, and a vampire bites
a werewolf?"

"Um.."

The Real Ghostbusters - No One Comes to Lupusville

Rob Scott

Dec 7, 2001, 9:41:31 AM12/7/01
"David E. Powell" <David_Po...@msn.com> ...

> Agreed. It is tough coming in "cold" to a show, much less filling
> shoes like that. I don't believe she was intended as a direct
> replacement, but many viewers took it that way and got mad.

Personally, I just didn't care for the character or Ms. Scoggins that much.
I certainly don't hate her or think she's a bad actress.

What I *did* hate was watching her scenes in "Day of the Dead" and thinking
to myself -- I wish this had been Ivanova and her brother (who we watched
die in "In the Beginning").

Rob Scott

no one of consequence

Dec 7, 2001, 10:52:29 AM12/7/01
E. John Roth III <jr...@oklahoma.net> wrote:
]watkins julia k wrote:
]> The Secret.
]>
]> Julie
]
]So what <is> her involvement with The Terrible Secret of Space? Is she the
]pusher robot in a changling net?

Do not trust the pusher robot. It is malfunctioning.

--
|Patrick Chester wol...@io.com |
|"...could you and your associates arrange that for me, Mr. Morden?" |

John W. Kennedy

Dec 7, 2001, 11:25:03 AM12/7/01
Mike Hennebry wrote:

> In article <mkzP7.47$Hj7....@news.abs.net>, <To...@Fred.Net> wrote:
> >We've been here before, haven't we? Before Algore invented the Internet and
> >we relied on GEnie to pass word along about TWCNBN.
>
> Would you quote Al Gore's claim? I've often heard the claim that AG
> claimed to have invented the internet, but never the claim itself. I
> have also heard that it's just a lie that has drowned out the truth.

Gore claimed, with complete truth, that he was the political point man
for the "Information Superhighway" in the late 80's and early 90's --
Hell, back then it was the main thing I knew about the man! It was
rather expected that the I S-H would be a _new_ internet, rather than
being ARPANet-without-the-military (and in some ways that would have
been a good thing), but the WWW caught everyone by surprise. Comedians
and Republican speechwriters distorted it into the ridiculous and
impossible claim that he "invented the Internet".

--
John W. Kennedy
(Working from my laptop)

John W. Kennedy

Dec 7, 2001, 11:25:03 AM12/7/01
James Bell wrote:
> He meant what he said. He didn't mean he "invented" the Internet and he
> didn't mean he "championed the development" of the Internet. He meant he
> "took the initiative in creating the Internet," because that is what he
> said. He was incredibly and stupidly wrong but I think he probably believed
> what he was saying.

He didn't say "ARPANet", he said "the Internet". The Internet as we
have it today, wide-open, pretty much available to everybody who has the
means to use it, megabit speeds as fast as drops can be built, and
carrying nearly all computer data that leaves the confines of a single
campus; not the private playground of the
military-industrial-educational complex and (only incidentally) bridge
between thousands of proprietary e-mail systems.

Mind, what he was working for (and he _was_ the point man on it) was a
de-novo network, something to replace ARPANet. The chance explosion of
the WWW, and (probably) the security-minded split of ARPANet after the
Great Worm Disaster forestalled that. (Too bad -- it would have made
IPv6 migration a lot easier.)

> He neither invented the Internet nor championed its development.

Yes he did. I remember it. Hell's bells, just check out old issues of
Time Magazine; Al Gore was Washington's "Mr. Information Superhighway".

It is loading more messages.