B5:TLT update from jms

jms...@aol.com

Oct 3, 2006, 3:17:35 AM10/3/06
I'm kind of up against it right now on an assortment of deadlines, so
this'll be quick, but I did want to address some of the questions that
have been asked.

Yes, we're shooting this HD, so this is going to be quite a learning
curve for me as a director, since I've never shot HD before. There's
also a HUGE amount of green-screen involved, so again, lots of learning
to be done.

For those who are getting the B5 scripts books -- and eventually the
B5:TLT scripts will be released -- you'll notice a substantial
difference between them and these scripts in that I decided to kind of
direct them on the page more than usual: calling out specific angles
and camera directions, locations and setups more than in any prior B5
script. It probably resembles an animation script more than a standard
TV script, because it incorporates my directorial notes, shot for shot,
as we go.

The first three-segment DVD is called "Voices in the Dark." We've
narrowed down the cast, and hope to have their deals closed this week.
There are already ten crew members working on this thing up in
Vancouver, pulling together stages, offices and other prep work. The
first day of shooting will likely be either November 13th or 14th (due
to a Canadian holiday). The last twiddlings to the script should be
done by this coming Monday. Storyboarding starts the end of this week.

It's balls-to-the-wall right now, but it should be fun in the end.

jms

message content (c) 2006
synthetic worlds, ltd.
permission to reprint
specifically denied to
SFX Magazine

Amy Guskin

Oct 3, 2006, 8:00:30 AM10/3/06
Thanks for the update. Break a leg, etc.

Amy

Jan

Oct 3, 2006, 8:30:50 AM10/3/06
In article <1159859855.8...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

>I'm kind of up against it right now on an assortment of deadlines, so
>this'll be quick, but I did want to address some of the questions that
>have been asked.
>
>Yes, we're shooting this HD, so this is going to be quite a learning
>curve for me as a director, since I've never shot HD before. There's
>also a HUGE amount of green-screen involved, so again, lots of learning
>to be done.

Thanks for the update. I've wondered how you manage to keep up with the
advances in technology.

>For those who are getting the B5 scripts books -- and eventually the
>B5:TLT scripts will be released -- you'll notice a substantial
>difference between them and these scripts in that I decided to kind of
>direct them on the page more than usual: calling out specific angles
>and camera directions, locations and setups more than in any prior B5
>script. It probably resembles an animation script more than a standard
>TV script, because it incorporates my directorial notes, shot for shot,
>as we go.

That's probably particularly important for such short stories, right? I'll be
*very* interested in seeing those script books.

>The first three-segment DVD is called "Voices in the Dark." We've
>narrowed down the cast, and hope to have their deals closed this week.
>There are already ten crew members working on this thing up in
>Vancouver, pulling together stages, offices and other prep work. The
>first day of shooting will likely be either November 13th or 14th (due
>to a Canadian holiday). The last twiddlings to the script should be
>done by this coming Monday. Storyboarding starts the end of this week.
>
>It's balls-to-the-wall right now, but it should be fun in the end.
>
>jms
>

>message content (c) 2006
>synthetic worlds, ltd.
>permission to reprint
>specifically denied to
>SFX Magazine

Sigh...Vancouver. On a strictly personal, very selfish note...Crud! I've never
managed to snag any set-used script from up there. I know, I'll have the script
books, but I love seeing the notes that crew/cast members write. It really
shows the attention to detail.

Have fun, JMS!

Jan

--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.

Shabaz

Oct 3, 2006, 9:41:07 AM10/3/06

Awesome. I can't wait to see them. So strange to hear that people at
this moment are working on stories about these characters again, after
all these years. 'Voices in the Dark' certainly sounds evocative.

And thank you for answering my HD question about TLT. The AV nerd in me
is happy. ;) I wonder if this means if it will be shot on film and then
telecined to HD resolutions (usually to 1080p24), or shot with digital
HD cameras (1080i60 or otherwise)? Just curious.

-Shabaz

Jon

Oct 3, 2006, 2:41:07 PM10/3/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> The first three-segment DVD is called "Voices in the Dark." We've
> narrowed down the cast, and hope to have their deals closed this week.
> There are already ten crew members working on this thing up in
> Vancouver, pulling together stages, offices and other prep work. The
> first day of shooting will likely be either November 13th or 14th (due
> to a Canadian holiday). The last twiddlings to the script should be
> done by this coming Monday. Storyboarding starts the end of this week.

Wow..JMS always has the best titles. I wish I was as good at thinking
up titles as he is. And they always cause me to speculate. Glad that
stages are going up too!

Jon D.

Jon

Oct 3, 2006, 3:04:31 PM10/3/06
Oh! Before I forget...being a big music nerd, and thinking that the B5
music is a big part of what made the show special. Can you announce
anything about who will be working on that aspect of the show?

Jon D.

Jo'Asia

Oct 3, 2006, 4:24:36 PM10/3/06
Jon wrote:

> Wow..JMS always has the best titles. I wish I was as good at thinking
> up titles as he is. And they always cause me to speculate.

And they bring out the creativity in German translators! ;>

OK, probably Polish titles had been not-so-good - luckily I do not
remember them. But judging from "Crusade" it's nothing like morphing "And
the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place" into "Death of the Schemer" or
something like that...

Jo'Asia

--
__.-=-. -< Joanna Slupek >----------------------< http://esensja.pl/ >-
--<()> -< joasia @ hell . pl >------< http://bujold.fantastyka.net/ >-

Methuselah Jones

Oct 3, 2006, 5:19:24 PM10/3/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Jon
of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> jms...@aol.com wrote:
>> The first three-segment DVD is called "Voices in the Dark." We've
>> narrowed down the cast, and hope to have their deals closed this
>> week. There are already ten crew members working on this thing up in
>> Vancouver, pulling together stages, offices and other prep work. The
>> first day of shooting will likely be either November 13th or 14th
>> (due to a Canadian holiday). The last twiddlings to the script
>> should be done by this coming Monday. Storyboarding starts the end
>> of this week.
>

> Wow..JMS always has the best titles.

I've always thought Harlan had cool titles; I wonder if he's made title
suggestions to Joe over the years.

> Glad that stages are going up too!

Definitely! It would suck to get the scripts done and the actors and crew
together to shoot, and no stages! :)

--
Methuselah
"A merchant who approaches business with the idea of serving the public

Angelika Tobisch

Oct 3, 2006, 5:59:29 PM10/3/06
Jo'Asia schrieb:

>> Wow..JMS always has the best titles. I wish I was as good at thinking
>> up titles as he is. And they always cause me to speculate.
>
> And they bring out the creativity in German translators! ;>
>
> OK, probably Polish titles had been not-so-good - luckily I do not
> remember them. But judging from "Crusade" it's nothing like morphing "And
> the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place" into "Death of the Schemer" or
> something like that...

Now don't forget "The End of the Markab" and "Captured within the Cybernet".

Angelika,
glad to hear the great news.

Jon

Oct 3, 2006, 6:22:20 PM10/3/06

Methuselah Jones wrote:
> I've always thought Harlan had cool titles; I wonder if he's made title
> suggestions to Joe over the years.

You know, Harlan does always have cool titles. I could definitely see
that being an influence. Maybe there's a secret formula.

Jon D.

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 3, 2006, 7:02:05 PM10/3/06
Methuselah Jones wrote:

> I've always thought Harlan had cool titles; I wonder if he's made title
> suggestions to Joe over the years.

Yes, it is hard to top, "For I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream." To
say nothing of the classic, "Repent, Harlequin! Said the Ticktockman"
<g>

Regards,

Joe

Amy Guskin

Oct 3, 2006, 8:46:19 PM10/3/06
>> On Tue, 3 Oct 2006 18:22:20 -0400, Jon wrote
(in article <1159914140....@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

I dunno. Yes, they both are good titlers, but IMHO, they have very different
styles of titling.

Amy

Wendy of NJ

Oct 3, 2006, 8:59:07 PM10/3/06
On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:46:19 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

"Angry Candy" :-D

-Wendy

jms...@aol.com

Oct 4, 2006, 12:12:00 AM10/4/06

Shabaz wrote:

> And thank you for answering my HD question about TLT. The AV nerd in me
> is happy. ;) I wonder if this means if it will be shot on film and then
> telecined to HD resolutions (usually to 1080p24), or shot with digital
> HD cameras (1080i60 or otherwise)? Just curious.

The latter. I figure if I'm gonna learn this stuff, I may as well dive
in at the deep end.

In for a penny, in for a pounding, I say....

jms

Hank Arnold

Oct 4, 2006, 4:51:16 AM10/4/06
All right............ :-) :-) :-)

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Shabaz

Oct 4, 2006, 7:12:33 AM10/4/06

This should be interesting; digital still has a pretty distinct look.
Especially with regards to the light sensitivity of CCDs versus film.
Better get a good DP. <g>

Might make the special effects pipe line a bit easier though. It is my
understanding that various special effects heavy shows, and some movies
like the last two Star Wars ones, switched over to digital because it,
among other things, made things a bit easier in that department.

And I'm guessing this in part would explain the million dollars plus
effects budget that was quoted by Dreamwatch. Putting enough extra
detail in CGI models so that they hold up at HD resolutions, and other
issues like the extra rendering time needed, can add a good deal of
cost, from what I understand.

-Shabaz

alex_t

Oct 4, 2006, 7:19:43 AM10/4/06
Thank you for the update!

Question :-)
Are you using "archived" ideas from the original series for the first
batch?

Jon

Oct 3, 2006, 9:06:34 PM10/3/06

Angelika Tobisch wrote:

> Now don't forget "The End of the Markab" and "Captured within the Cybernet".
>
> Angelika,
> glad to hear the great news.

Captured within the Cybernet? Which episode is that?

Jon Frain

Christoph Erichsen

Oct 4, 2006, 3:26:51 AM10/4/06
will the Audio edit be made in DD5.1 Sourround? I was a bit dissapointed
when B5:LR was only DD2.0 Stereo.

Greetings from Germany
Christoph

Angelika Tobisch

Oct 4, 2006, 11:57:43 AM10/4/06
Jon schrieb:

>> Now don't forget "The End of the Markab" and "Captured within the Cybernet".
>

> Captured within the Cybernet? Which episode is that?

"And The Sky Full Of Stars"

Yeah, I know, it hurts.

Angelika

Greg Bryant

Oct 4, 2006, 12:06:27 PM10/4/06
On 10/3/06 5:59 PM, "Angelika Tobisch" wrote:

> Jo'Asia schrieb:
>
>>> Wow..JMS always has the best titles. I wish I was as good at thinking
>>> up titles as he is. And they always cause me to speculate.
>>
>> And they bring out the creativity in German translators! ;>
>>
>> OK, probably Polish titles had been not-so-good - luckily I do not
>> remember them. But judging from "Crusade" it's nothing like morphing "And
>> the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place" into "Death of the Schemer" or
>> something like that...

That new title certainly gave away the ending of the episode.

.

Jo'Asia

Oct 4, 2006, 1:38:34 PM10/4/06
Angelika Tobisch wrote:

> Jo'Asia schrieb:

Hey, may be we could make a new guessing game out of this!

"Guess the German title!"

Not knowing what the content would be makes it a little hard, but would we
let such trivial thing to stop us? ;)

Jo'Asia

--
__.-=-. -< Joanna Slupek >----------------------< http://esensja.pl/ >-
--<()> -< joasia @ hell . pl >------< http://bujold.fantastyka.net/ >-

.__.'| -< Nice shark, ... pretty shark. {Babylon 5, Londo Mollari} >-

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 4, 2006, 2:18:47 PM10/4/06
Christoph Erichsen wrote:
> will the Audio edit be made in DD5.1 Sourround? I was a bit dissapointed
> when B5:LR was only DD2.0 Stereo.

IANJMS, but I'll take a stab at this one:

B5:LR was mixed in matrixed stereo because that is all that analog TV
channels like Sci-Fi in the US can transmit. Only digital channels,
typically those transmitting in HD, use Dolby Digital. Given that
B5:LR was the least successful of the TV movies Warner Home Video
probably didn't think it worth the expense to remix it for the DVD
release.

Since "B5:LR" is shooting in HD video for direct-to-DVD release and
obviously with an eye towards eventual HD broadcasts and/or syndication
I would be stunned if this weren't mixed in DD 5.1 and then downmixed
(if need be) for analog SD-TV.

Regards,

Joe

Amy Guskin

Oct 4, 2006, 4:56:45 PM10/4/06
(in article <1159985927.1...@m7g2000cwm.googlegroups.com>):

> Christoph Erichsen wrote:
>> will the Audio edit be made in DD5.1 Sourround? I was a bit dissapointed
>> when B5:LR was only DD2.0 Stereo.
>
> IANJMS, but I'll take a stab at this one:
>
> B5:LR was mixed in matrixed stereo because that is all that analog TV
> channels like Sci-Fi in the US can transmit. Only digital channels,
> typically those transmitting in HD, use Dolby Digital. Given that
> B5:LR was the least successful of the TV movies Warner Home Video
> probably didn't think it worth the expense to remix it for the DVD
> release.
>
> Since "B5:LR" is shooting in HD video for direct-to-DVD release <<

You mean "B5:TLT".

Amy

jms...@aol.com

Oct 4, 2006, 5:50:52 PM10/4/06

Joseph DeMartino wrote:
> Christoph Erichsen wrote:
> > will the Audio edit be made in DD5.1 Sourround? I was a bit dissapointed
> > when B5:LR was only DD2.0 Stereo.
>
> IANJMS, but I'll take a stab at this one:
>
> B5:LR was mixed in matrixed stereo because that is all that analog TV
> channels like Sci-Fi in the US can transmit. Only digital channels,
> typically those transmitting in HD, use Dolby Digital. Given that
> B5:LR was the least successful of the TV movies Warner Home Video
> probably didn't think it worth the expense to remix it for the DVD
> release.

Negative; we delivered a 5.1 mix on Rangers to WB. What they did with
it is anybody's guess.

jms

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 4, 2006, 5:52:52 PM10/4/06
Jo'Asia wrote:

> > Now don't forget "The End of the Markab" and "Captured within the Cybernet".

> Hey, may be we could make a new guessing game out of this!

> "Guess the German title!"

Based on the examples given so far we won't be able to guess the German
title even if we're given the U.S. title. We'd need the full script so
we could find the plot point it would be least appropriate to give away
in the title. <g> I'm guessing that in Germany "The Empire Strikes
Back" was called "Vader is Luke's Father", "Bladerunner" was "A
Replicant Called Deckard" and "Citizen Kane" opened in theaters under
the title, "It's His Damned Sled, All right? Are You Satisfied?" <g>

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 4, 2006, 5:56:17 PM10/4/06
jmsa...@aol.com wrote:

> Negative; we delivered a 5.1 mix on Rangers to WB. What they did with
> it is anybody's guess.

That was my *other* guess. <g> Given WB's preivous history as
custodians of important audio/visual source material, I'm going to
guess "accidentally threw it in the box with the old shirts going to
Goodwill" <g>

Well, based on that I'd assume that "B5;TLT" (thank you, Amy) is going
to be 5.1 as well.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 4, 2006, 5:58:59 PM10/4/06
Amy Guskin wrote:

> You mean "B5:TLT".

OK, now you're pushing it, Guskin. <g>

(BTW, am I the only one who thinks of a sandwich when he sees that
abbreviation?)

Regards,

Joe

Amy Guskin

Oct 4, 2006, 6:03:50 PM10/4/06
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 17:58:59 -0400, Joseph DeMartino wrote
(in article <1159999139.8...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

That would be five slices of bacon, tomato, lettuce, and...tuna? My only
question is, where's the spoo? <g>

Amy

Vorlonagent

Oct 4, 2006, 6:13:58 PM10/4/06

"Amy Guskin" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message

You and Clara Peller. :)

--
John Trauger,
Vorlonagent

"Methane martini.
Shaken, not stirred."

"Spirituality without science has no mind.

Science without spirituality has no heart."

-Methuselah Jones

Shabaz

Oct 4, 2006, 6:15:20 PM10/4/06

Well, that's odd. Maybe if they ever reissue the movie boxset with
Rangers included, someone at WBHV could dig it up, seeing how a good
deal of stuff got added when the Gathering and In the Beginning were
reissued as part of the boxset. Do you think they've actually lost it,
or that because of some communication error or something, they used the
2.0 downmixed version made for TV broadcast on the DVD?

With all the horror stories I've read about rats, and water damage, and
lost computer files, I'm almost surprised they still had the master
reels of B5 in good condition when it came time to make the widescreen
versions for Sci-Fi.

-Shabaz

Jan

Oct 4, 2006, 6:24:10 PM10/4/06
In article <0001HW.C149A844...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
says...

What?! At 20 credits an ounce! ;-)

Jan

--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.
We are One.
IA Declaration of Principles
(J. Michael Straczynski)

Angelika Tobisch

Oct 4, 2006, 6:33:05 PM10/4/06
Joseph DeMartino schrieb:

You just made my day. Good thing I was only about to drink something.
How about "Horta saves her children"? Yes, it's real. For me, this is
the best thing about DVDs: original versions.

Angelika

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 4, 2006, 6:36:00 PM10/4/06
Amy Guskin wrote:

> That would be five slices of bacon, tomato, lettuce, and...tuna? <

Not "tuna", "on toast*. Tuna and bacon don't mix.

> My only question is, where's the spoo? <g> <

Spoo? At 50 credits an ounce? Are you crazy?

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 4, 2006, 6:38:45 PM10/4/06
Angelika Tobisch wrote:

> How about "Horta saves her children"? Yes, it's real. <

Proving once again that truth is not only stranger, but also stupider,
than fiction. <g>

Joe

Wesley Struebing

Oct 4, 2006, 7:39:55 PM10/4/06
On 4 Oct 2006 14:58:59 -0700, "Joseph DeMartino"
<jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

It'd be worse, if we formed a fan club for it...

<g, d, & r>

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Wesley Struebing

Oct 4, 2006, 7:40:47 PM10/4/06
On 4 Oct 2006 15:24:10 -0700, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>In article <0001HW.C149A844...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
>says...

>>(in article <1159999139.8...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

>>> OK, now you're pushing it, Guskin. <g>
>>>
>>> (BTW, am I the only one who thinks of a sandwich when he sees that
>>> abbreviation?) <<
>>
>>That would be five slices of bacon, tomato, lettuce, and...tuna? My only
>>question is, where's the spoo? <g>
>>

>What?! At 20 credits an ounce! ;-)

Cheap at the price! (we never give spoo enough credit...)

Methuselah Jones

Oct 4, 2006, 8:25:52 PM10/4/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Jan
of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> In article <0001HW.C149A844...@news.verizon.net>, Amy
> Guskin says...

>>(in article <1159999139.8...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

>>> OK, now you're pushing it, Guskin. <g>
>>>
>>> (BTW, am I the only one who thinks of a sandwich when he sees that
>>> abbreviation?) <<
>>
>>That would be five slices of bacon, tomato, lettuce, and...tuna? My
>>only question is, where's the spoo? <g>
>
> What?! At 20 credits an ounce! ;-)

And besides, it just tastes like chicken.

--
Methuselah
"If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies in yourself."

Methuselah Jones

Oct 4, 2006, 8:27:52 PM10/4/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Joseph DeMartino of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

IANAG, but shouldn't that be "B5:TLT"? <G>
^
--
Methuselah
"I'm very good at integral and differential calculus,

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 4, 2006, 8:29:37 PM10/4/06
Wesley Struebing wrote:

> >(BTW, am I the only one who thinks of a sandwich when he sees that
> >abbreviation?)
> >
> It'd be worse, if we formed a fan club for it...

Wouldn't that make it a club sandwich? <g>

OOooh. I think we're about to meet another kind of club. What kind of
sandwich goes with the initials N.B.S.? <g>

Joe

Methuselah Jones

Oct 4, 2006, 8:33:56 PM10/4/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Angelika Tobisch of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

Hey, that's good old German no-nonsense pragmatism for you! Imagination?
Pah. :)

--
Methuselah
"America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,

Methuselah Jones

Oct 4, 2006, 8:35:42 PM10/4/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Joseph DeMartino of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> Jo'Asia wrote:

Nah, that's not bland enough. It would be "Dying Newspaper Man Reminisces
About His Boyhood Sled."

--
Methuselah
Entropy isn't what it used to be.

John W. Kennedy

Oct 4, 2006, 9:11:19 PM10/4/06
Shabaz wrote:
> jms...@aol.com wrote:
>> Shabaz wrote:
>>> And thank you for answering my HD question about TLT. The AV nerd in me
>>> is happy. ;) I wonder if this means if it will be shot on film and then
>>> telecined to HD resolutions (usually to 1080p24), or shot with digital
>>> HD cameras (1080i60 or otherwise)? Just curious.
>>>
>> The latter. I figure if I'm gonna learn this stuff, I may as well dive
>> in at the deep end.
>>
>> In for a penny, in for a pounding, I say....
>>
>> jms
>
> This should be interesting; digital still has a pretty distinct look.
> Especially with regards to the light sensitivity of CCDs versus film.
> Better get a good DP. <g>

It doesn't have to be. The Filmlook process has been around for at
least a decade.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

Christina Wilson

Oct 4, 2006, 10:11:09 PM10/4/06

;p You have to specify location: on Centauri Prime, its a Narn Bacon
Sandwich, of course.

Christina

Amy Guskin

Oct 4, 2006, 10:17:03 PM10/4/06
(in article <R6ydnfPWDsJlrLnY...@comcast.com>):

> "Amy Guskin" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message
>> (in article <1159999139.8...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

>>> OK, now you're pushing it, Guskin. <g>
>>>
>>> (BTW, am I the only one who thinks of a sandwich when he sees that
>>> abbreviation?) <<
>>
>> That would be five slices of bacon, tomato, lettuce, and...tuna? My only
>> question is, where's the spoo? <g>
>
> You and Clara Peller. :) <<

HA! I looked for a good picture of her to Photoshop, but there were
surprisingly few, all very small.

Amy

Jeffrey Kaplan

Oct 4, 2006, 10:28:51 PM10/4/06
It is alleged that Joseph DeMartino claimed:

No. And I don't even like tomatos.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

Peter's Top 100 Things I'd Do If I Ever Became An Evil Overlord, #206.
When my Legions of Terror park their vehicle to do reconnaissance on
foot, they will be instructed to employ The Club.

Richard Fallstrom

Oct 4, 2006, 10:47:45 PM10/4/06
<jms...@aol.com> wrote:

> I'm kind of up against it right now on an assortment of deadlines, so
> this'll be quick, but I did want to address some of the questions that
> have been asked.
>
> Yes, we're shooting this HD, so this is going to be quite a learning
> curve for me as a director, since I've never shot HD before. There's
> also a HUGE amount of green-screen involved, so again, lots of learning
> to be done.
>
> For those who are getting the B5 scripts books -- and eventually the
> B5:TLT scripts will be released -- you'll notice a substantial
> difference between them and these scripts in that I decided to kind of
> direct them on the page more than usual: calling out specific angles
> and camera directions, locations and setups more than in any prior B5
> script. It probably resembles an animation script more than a standard
> TV script, because it incorporates my directorial notes, shot for shot,
> as we go.
>
> The first three-segment DVD is called "Voices in the Dark." We've
> narrowed down the cast, and hope to have their deals closed this week.
> There are already ten crew members working on this thing up in
> Vancouver, pulling together stages, offices and other prep work. The
> first day of shooting will likely be either November 13th or 14th (due
> to a Canadian holiday). The last twiddlings to the script should be
> done by this coming Monday. Storyboarding starts the end of this week.
>
> It's balls-to-the-wall right now, but it should be fun in the end.
>
> jms
>

> message content (c) 2006
> synthetic worlds, ltd.
> permission to reprint
> specifically denied to
> SFX Magazine

Joe:

Need any help? I live just south of Vancouver, BC.

Thanks,

Rick
.

Amy Guskin

Oct 4, 2006, 10:49:28 PM10/4/06
>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:29:37 -0400, Joseph DeMartino wrote
(in article <1160008177.0...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

Natto, bacon and salmonella?

:-O

Amy

Richard Fallstrom

Oct 4, 2006, 10:52:44 PM10/4/06
In article <Xns9852CFD662D2Bme...@216.196.97.131>,
Methuselah Jones <methu...@altgeek.org> wrote:

> Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Jan
> of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:
>
> > In article <0001HW.C149A844...@news.verizon.net>, Amy
> > Guskin says...

> >>(in article <1159999139.8...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> >>That would be five slices of bacon, tomato, lettuce, and...tuna? My
> >>only question is, where's the spoo? <g>
> >
> > What?! At 20 credits an ounce! ;-)
>
> And besides, it just tastes like chicken.

Query:

Did you just finish the first part of Season 5 again?

*grins like a Pak Ma Rah that just ate someone's dead cat*
.

derek...@sbcglobal.net

Oct 4, 2006, 9:24:00 PM10/4/06
Hello JMS.

Where is the Post Production on B5:TLT going to be done?

I happened to speak with Susan Norkin (who handled Post on the previous
series) a few months ago and she hadn't heard about this B5 project.
Are you going to be using any of the original Post Production people?

For the record, I met Susan through David W. Foster, who was an editor
on B5 and is my online editor on Mind of Mencia. I am the Post
Producer on Mencia.

jms...@aol.com

Oct 5, 2006, 12:31:45 AM10/5/06

derek...@sbcglobal.net wrote:
> Hello JMS.
>
> Where is the Post Production on B5:TLT going to be done?

Vancouver.

jms

Methuselah Jones

Oct 5, 2006, 8:23:01 AM10/5/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Richard Fallstrom of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

Actually, I just finished S5 again a couple of days ago. "A View From the
Gallery" is one of my favorite episodes anyway, though.

--
Methuselah
"I have overcome my willpower and have taken up smoking again."

Wendy of NJ

Oct 5, 2006, 8:52:20 AM10/5/06
On 4 Oct 2006 14:58:59 -0700, "Joseph DeMartino"
<jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

No, I posted about that very thing a couple weeks ago :)

-Wendy

Wendy of NJ

Oct 5, 2006, 8:59:18 AM10/5/06
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 00:33:05 +0200, Angelika Tobisch <kam...@arcor.de>
wrote:

OMG! And "The 6th Sense" is "The Psychiatrist is Also a Ghost"? Do
they do this with books as well?

-Wendy

Amy Guskin

Oct 5, 2006, 10:43:59 AM10/5/06
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 08:59:18 -0400, Wendy of NJ wrote
(in article <v70ai21f1o5lf23rq...@4ax.com>):

Ha. This is fun. Sticking with M. Night, how about "The Village That Seems
to be in the Past, but which is Actually in the Present"?

Amy

Rob Perkins

Oct 5, 2006, 10:48:58 AM10/5/06
Wendy of NJ wrote:

>>You just made my day. Good thing I was only about to drink something.
>>How about "Horta saves her children"? Yes, it's real. For me, this is
>>the best thing about DVDs: original versions.
>>
>>Angelika
>>

> OMG! And "The 6th Sense" is "The Psychiatrist is Also a Ghost"? Do
> they do this with books as well?

Near as I can tell, the German title of "The Sixth Sense" is "The Sixth
Sense", with an undertitle of "Nicht Jede Gase Ist Ein Segen" or "Nicht
Jede Gast Ist Ein Segen"; I can't really tell because the script on the
image was too small.

It's probably the first one, which means "Not every spirit is a
blessing"; the second makes no grammatical sense.

Rob

Angelika Tobisch

Oct 5, 2006, 12:58:00 PM10/5/06
Wendy of NJ schrieb:

>> How about "Horta saves her children"? Yes, it's real. For me, this is
>> the best thing about DVDs: original versions.
>>

> OMG! And "The 6th Sense" is "The Psychiatrist is Also a Ghost"? Do
> they do this with books as well?

Strangely enough I can't think of even one example in the world of
movies or books. The title of "The Sixth Sense" for example wasn't
translated at all. But the guys that do the TV episodes? They're on crack.

Angelika

Jon

Oct 5, 2006, 1:40:03 PM10/5/06

Oh man..she was quicker to beat me to that punchline. I fear Amy's
retaliation anyway...

Jon D.

Jon

Oct 5, 2006, 1:38:58 PM10/5/06

A Narn and Bacon Sandwich! :D

Jon D.

Jeffrey Kaplan

Oct 5, 2006, 1:52:24 PM10/5/06
It is alleged that Amy Guskin claimed:

> >> That would be five slices of bacon, tomato, lettuce, and...tuna? My only
> >> question is, where's the spoo? <g>
> >
> > You and Clara Peller. :) <<
>
> HA! I looked for a good picture of her to Photoshop, but there were
> surprisingly few, all very small.

Well, she was a very small lady.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"If I am ever the Hero top 100 list: #70. Being captured by the Evil
Overlord is one way to learn his secret plans, but there are
innumerable other ways that are better, and they will be tried first.

Wendy of NJ

Oct 5, 2006, 4:22:58 PM10/5/06
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 18:58:00 +0200, Angelika Tobisch <kam...@arcor.de>
wrote:

>Wendy of NJ schrieb:

Or they are just really really mean. (or they loathe the shows they're
translating)

-Wendy

Angelika Tobisch

Oct 5, 2006, 5:42:40 PM10/5/06
Wendy of NJ schrieb:

>>> OMG! And "The 6th Sense" is "The Psychiatrist is Also a Ghost"? Do
>>> they do this with books as well?
>>
>> Strangely enough I can't think of even one example in the world of
>> movies or books. The title of "The Sixth Sense" for example wasn't
>> translated at all. But the guys that do the TV episodes? They're on crack.
>
> Or they are just really really mean. (or they loathe the shows they're
> translating)

Both, probably. It's not as if the titles were the only thing they're
butchering.

Angelika

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 5, 2006, 5:46:20 PM10/5/06
Angelika Tobisch wrote:

> Both, probably. It's not as if the titles were the only thing they're
> butchering.

I just think it proves that TV network personnel the world over are
idiots. It is just one of those universal constants that no one can
figure out, like all intelligent races having some version of Swedish
Meatballs. <g>

Regards,

Joe

Angelika Tobisch

Oct 5, 2006, 5:47:34 PM10/5/06
Methuselah Jones schrieb:

>> You just made my day. Good thing I was only about to drink something.
>> How about "Horta saves her children"? Yes, it's real. For me, this is
>> the best thing about DVDs: original versions.
>
> Hey, that's good old German no-nonsense pragmatism for you! Imagination?
> Pah. :)

Actually, they have a pretty wild imagination. Otherwise they couldn't
have come up with "Attack of the Aliens".

?

!

It's "A Voice in the Wilderness".

Angelika

Wesley Struebing

Oct 5, 2006, 9:10:02 PM10/5/06
On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 02:49:28 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

I think I dated one of them once - Salmonella rings a bell...

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 5, 2006, 9:34:18 PM10/5/06
Wesley Struebing wrote:

> I think I dated one of them once - Salmonella rings a bell...

Sam and Ella who?

Andrew Swallow

Oct 5, 2006, 1:29:13 PM10/5/06
Joseph DeMartino wrote:
> Wesley Struebing wrote:
>
>>> (BTW, am I the only one who thinks of a sandwich when he sees that
>>> abbreviation?)
>>>
>> It'd be worse, if we formed a fan club for it...
>
> Wouldn't that make it a club sandwich? <g>
>
> OOooh. I think we're about to meet another kind of club. What kind of
> sandwich goes with the initials N.B.S.? <g>
>
> Joe

N.B.S. = Nation Bureau of Standards

A quality sandwich.

Andrew Swallow

Will Frank

Oct 5, 2006, 9:38:52 PM10/5/06
Also Sprach Joseph DeMartino:

>> I think I dated one of them once - Salmonella rings a bell...
>
> Sam and Ella who?

No, no, it's "Sam and Janet who?" As in, "Knock Knock..." and ending "Sam and
Janet evening!"

--
Will "scifantasy" Frank - wmf...@stwing.org
"Don't panic."

Amy Guskin

Oct 6, 2006, 1:13:24 AM10/6/06
>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:46:20 -0400, Joseph DeMartino wrote
(in article <1160084780.5...@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

And some version of jinnandtonnix. <g>

Amy

Dan Dassow

Oct 6, 2006, 8:04:01 AM10/6/06

A neighbor near us own a lot with a pond and two swans named Sam and
Ella.

On a whim, I Googled "Sam and Ella" and was surprized to find:
http://local.yahoo.com/details?id=18577919&csz=Tahlequah+OK&
Sam & Ella's Chicken Palace
(918) 456-1411
419 N Muskogee Ave
Tahlequah, OK 74464

One has to wonder how the health inspectors reacted when they first
heard the name of this restaurant.

Dan Dassow

Methuselah Jones

Oct 6, 2006, 6:59:24 AM10/6/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Andrew Swallow of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> Joseph DeMartino wrote:

>>> It'd be worse, if we formed a fan club for it...
>>
>> Wouldn't that make it a club sandwich? <g>
>>
>> OOooh. I think we're about to meet another kind of club. What kind
>> of sandwich goes with the initials N.B.S.? <g>
>>

> N.B.S. = Nation Bureau of Standards

Also:

National Bank of Serbia
N-Bromosuccinimide
National Brotherhood of Skiers
National Ballet School
National Bureau of Statistics
National Bank of Slovakia
National Blood Service
NASCAR Busch Series
National Biological Service
Nanyang Business School
National Building Specification
National Button Society
National Broadcasting Society
Narrowband Socket
Network Business Systems
National Bird-Feeding Society
No Big Silence (Estonian band)
Neutral Buoyancy Simulator
National Bibliographic Service
Navy Broadcasting Service
Normal Bowel Sounds
Nationale Bewegung Schweiz
New Building Society

--
Methuselah
Alcohol and calculus don't mix. Never drink and derive.

Dan Dassow

Oct 6, 2006, 7:55:47 AM10/6/06

Will Frank wrote:
> Also Sprach Joseph DeMartino:
>
> >> I think I dated one of them once - Salmonella rings a bell...
> >
> > Sam and Ella who?
>
> No, no, it's "Sam and Janet who?" As in, "Knock Knock..." and ending "Sam and
> Janet evening!"

Sam and Janet evening
You may see a stranger,
you may see a stranger
Across a crowded room
And somehow you know,
You know even then
That somewhere you'll see her
Again and again.

Sam and Janet evening
Someone may be laughin',
You may hear her laughin'
Across a crowded room
And night after night,
As strange as it seems
The sound of her laughter
Will sing in your dreams.

Dan Dassow

Henrik Herranen

Oct 6, 2006, 1:29:20 AM10/6/06
Angelika Tobisch <kam...@arcor.de> writes:
> You just made my day. Good thing I was only about to drink something.
> How about "Horta saves her children"? Yes, it's real. For me, this is
> the best thing about DVDs: original versions.

Sometimes they really hit paydirt in this country, too.
The original Finnish title for The Shawshank Redemption
is "Rita Hayworth: Avain pakoon", or "Rita Hayworth, the
Key to Escape". Perfect and thank you, translator!

Kind regards,
- Henrik

--
Good signatures never die, they just fade away

Amy Guskin

Oct 6, 2006, 9:30:15 AM10/6/06
>> On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 07:55:47 -0400, Dan Dassow wrote
(in article <1160135747.7...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>):

Well, if I knew we were doing karaoke this morning...somebody go and cue up
"I Will Survive" for me, please! :-D

Amy

Amy Guskin

Oct 6, 2006, 9:31:46 AM10/6/06
>>On Fri, 6 Oct 2006 08:04:01 -0400, Dan Dassow wrote
(in article <1160136241.0...@i42g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

Heh. We have a nearby diner which was fairly grotty until a recent
renovation. Now, they're too nice to make fun of, but the name of the place
is Minella's. Obviously, we used to always refer to it as Sal Minella's.
:-)

Amy

alex_t

Oct 6, 2006, 8:29:41 AM10/6/06
I vote for Normal Bowel Sounds!

:-D

Methuselah Jones

Oct 6, 2006, 6:50:37 AM10/6/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Joseph DeMartino of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

I understand that, in the Centauri language, the term for TV executives
also serves as the most vile curse there is.

--
Methuselah
"Never try to teach a pig to sing: it wastes your time and annoys the

Iva

Oct 6, 2006, 6:12:11 PM10/6/06
Woo-hoo! Thanks for the update.

I'm looking forward to this with *great* anticipation.

-----
Iva

Wesley Struebing

Oct 6, 2006, 7:27:15 PM10/6/06

That was a nicely-measured response, Andrew...

;-)

Wesley Struebing

Oct 6, 2006, 7:28:41 PM10/6/06
On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 05:13:24 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>>> On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:46:20 -0400, Joseph DeMartino wrote

I'll drink to that!

Wesley Struebing

Oct 6, 2006, 7:30:05 PM10/6/06
On 6 Oct 2006 05:29:41 -0700, "alex_t" <ateres...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>I vote for Normal Bowel Sounds!

I like Not Badly Stoned...

Joseph DeMartino

Oct 6, 2006, 7:30:45 PM10/6/06
Wesley Struebing wrote:

> That was a nicely-measured response, Andrew...

WHAM!

Jeffrey Kaplan

Oct 7, 2006, 2:15:41 AM10/7/06
It is alleged that alex_t claimed:

> I vote for Normal Bowel Sounds!

Sounds like a band name.

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"Capital punishment turns the state into a murderer. But imprisonment
turns the state into a gay dungeon-master." -Rev. Jesse Jackson

jms...@aol.com

Oct 12, 2006, 4:02:13 AM10/12/06
Just a quick follow-up...I'm in Vancouver (coming back in 24 hours)
finishing up a round of final staff interviews for B5:TLT. Thus far,
we've hired two other producers, a script supervisor, a post
supervisor, the editor, a production manager, a conceptual
artist/storyboard guy, an art director/production designer, a first
assistant director, and closed several cast deals, with the rest
probably to be closed next week, at which time I may be able to say who
they are. Pending final negotiations, Chris Franke has agreed to come
on board to do the music. We're interviewing CGI houses up here to
decide which to go with. The three scripts have been completed, and
are now being storyboarded. We've narrowed down the director of
photography options to just a few last guys, and should have that
decided by week's end. We've also locked down the stage and have
started putting together our package (camera, lights, grip and
electrics).

By this time next week, about 80% of our crew will be in hand, the rest
coming aboard during the start of prep.

jms

message content (c) 2006
synthetic worlds, ltd.
permission to reprint
specifically denied to
SFX Magazine

alex_t

Oct 12, 2006, 4:53:33 AM10/12/06
Wonderful news!
Also great to hear about Mr. Franke. Are there any other staff from
earlier "Babylon 5" projects?

Jan

Oct 12, 2006, 6:19:41 AM10/12/06
In article <1160640133.8...@h48g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

Thanks, JMS. And may I say "Yay!" to Christopher Franke doing the music?

Jan

--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.
We are One.
IA Declaration of Principles
(J. Michael Straczynski)

Angelika Tobisch

Oct 12, 2006, 6:59:08 AM10/12/06
Jan schrieb:

> Thanks, JMS. And may I say "Yay!" to Christopher Franke doing the music?

I can't bring myself to say less than "Woohoo!" to that.

Great news, all of it,
Angelika

Shabaz

Oct 12, 2006, 10:02:10 AM10/12/06

Thirded. Christopher Franke being back makes this fan happy too. And I
can't wait for next week, when we get to hear the cast. :)

I think I know how the fans feel, but how is the mood among returning
cast or crew; how do they feel about coming back to the universe and
certain characters after all these years? For that matter, how do you
feel about returning to tell stories about the main B5 characters after
all this time? Maybe an obvious question, but I can't remember anyone
actually asking it before, so, just wondering.

-Shabaz

Shabaz

Oct 12, 2006, 10:02:15 AM10/12/06

Thirded. Christopher Franke being back makes this fan happy too. And I

Shabaz

Oct 12, 2006, 10:07:49 AM10/12/06

Woops. Seems Google Groups posted when it said it didn't, and now I've
double posted. Sorry folks.

-Shabaz

Jeffrey Kaplan

Oct 12, 2006, 10:54:52 AM10/12/06
It is alleged that jms...@aol.com claimed:

> they are. Pending final negotiations, Chris Franke has agreed to come
> on board to do the music. We're interviewing CGI houses up here to

Yay!

> decide which to go with. The three scripts have been completed, and

Too bad Doug Netter's isn't around any more. Do you think Zoic can
handle both TLT and BSG at the same time? Or are you looking more to
update and preserve the look&feel from the original series?

--
Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

"I just don't understand how poor people think" - George W. Bush, Aug
26 2003

Iva

Oct 12, 2006, 11:07:16 AM10/12/06
<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

Woo-hoo! Sounds like this is all coming together quite nicely.

Well done, sir. <g>
-----
Iva

Jon

Oct 12, 2006, 12:57:22 PM10/12/06

Yup yup! The Chris Franke news was the news I wanted most. Honestly,
beyond writer/director/actor I think music is the most important part
of a show :) That's what really builds suspense and keeps you in
it..or takes you out of it in the case of some shows.

Or maybe I'm just a music geek.

Jon

Shabaz

Oct 12, 2006, 1:27:41 PM10/12/06

Oh, I agree. I'm also really sensitive to good music, especially when
it tries to tell a story in conjunction with what is on screen. I like
music with strong thematic motifs and such, and while Franke did also
provide some more generic background music, I think in the end he
provided those strong themes in spades.

To make a bit of a tangential aside, about something I'm pretty sure
I'm one of the few that cares about it; I'm personally kind of curious
what will be done with the colour grading. I'm personally a fan of some
of the more heavy handed grading, that can for instance be done with
digital grading, and hope that they will also experiment a bit with
that, possible since it is now easier to do with TLT being shot
digitally. I think it can really help to bring out mood and atmosphere,
and I love some things that have been done in more recent television.
Really use the grading process to go over the footage and use the
grading as a painter's brush, and make the look pop. Just, intentionaly
oversaturating or undersaturating the image, or certain colours of the
image, being very focused in pulling out certain colours. Original B5
had a very specific dark look, I guess by shooting with really low
f-stops, and I think some strong, good grading can give TLT an equally
distinctive look, while using a tool that is now much more versatile.

-Shabaz

Mac Breck (KoshN)

Oct 12, 2006, 2:48:10 PM10/12/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> ....We're interviewing CGI houses up here to

> decide which to go with.

Hoping this is one of them...
<fingers crossed>
Zoic Studios (Battlestar Galactica 2003+, Serenity, The Day After
Tomorrow, etc.)
</fingers crossed>

BSG 2003
Zoic Studios (visual effects)

BSG 2004+
Atmosphere Visual Effects (additional visual effects)
Enigma Animation Productions Inc. (additional visual effects)
Zoic Studios (visual effects)

Serenity [2005]
K.N.B. Effects Group (special effects makeup)
Pacific Title (opticals)
Zoic Studios (visual effects)
Rhythm & Hues (visual effects) (as Rhythm & Hues Studios)
Illusion Arts (special visual effects)
Perpetual Motion Pictures (visual effects)
Grant McCune Design (miniature sequences)

Zoic Studios [us]
One Day Like Rain (2007) ... Special Effects Company
Special (2006/I) ... Special Effects Company
Beyond (2006) (TV) ... Special Effects Company
Zathura: A Space Adventure (2005) ... Special Effects Company
(additional visual effects)
Soldier of God (2005) ... Special Effects Company (additional visual
effects)
Serenity (2005) ... Special Effects Company (visual effects)
Deuce Bigalow: European Gigolo (2005) ... Special Effects Company
(visual effects)
"Battlestar Galactica" (2004) ... Special Effects Company (visual
effects)
Spider-Man 2 (2004) ... Special Effects Company (additional visual
effects)
The Day After Tomorrow (2004) ... Special Effects Company (visual
effects)
Van Helsing (2004) ... Special Effects Company (visual effects)
NYPD 2069 (2004) (TV) ... Special Effects Company
"Battlestar Galactica" (2003) (mini) ... Special Effects Company
(visual effects)
"Out of Order" (2003) (mini) ... Special Effects Company (visual
effects)
"Miracles" (2003) ... Special Effects Company (visual effects)
"Firefly" (2002) ... Special Effects Company (visual effects) (2002-)
"Angel" (1999) ... Special Effects Company (visual effects) (2002-)
"Buffy the Vampire Slayer" (1997) ... Special Effects Company (visual
effects)

Atmosphere Visual Effects [ca]
"Battlestar Galactica" (2004) ... Special Effects Company (additional
visual effects)
"Stargate: Atlantis" (2004) ... Special Effects Company
"Kingdom Hospital" (2004) (mini) ... Special Effects Company
"Dead Like Me" (2003) ... Special Effects Company
"Andromeda" (2000) ... Special Effects Company
"Stargate SG-1" (1997) ... Special Effects Company

Northwest Imaging & FX [ca]
"The 4400" (2004) ... Special Effects Company (visual effects)
"Special Unit 2" (2001) ... Special Effects Company
"Andromeda" (2000) ... Special Effects Company
"Sleepwalkers" (1997) ... Special Effects Company
"Stargate SG-1" (1997) ... Special Effects Company (digital effects)
Stargate SG-1: Children of the Gods (1997) (TV) ... Special Effects
Company (digital effects)

Mac Breck (KoshN)

Chris Patterson

Oct 12, 2006, 4:12:05 PM10/12/06
In article <452e1ff9$0$30578$9b4e...@newsspool4.arcor-online.net>,
Angelika Tobisch <kam...@arcor.de> wrote:

> > Thanks, JMS. And may I say "Yay!" to Christopher Franke doing the music?
>
> I can't bring myself to say less than "Woohoo!" to that.

My first thought was, "Yeeeeeee-HAAAWWWW!!"

:)
Chris Patterson chrispatterson.at.comcast.dot.net
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are
always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
-- Bertrand Russell

Chris Patterson

Oct 12, 2006, 4:21:01 PM10/12/06
In article <1160674061.3...@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
"Shabaz" <shab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> To make a bit of a tangential aside, about something I'm pretty sure
> I'm one of the few that cares about it; I'm personally kind of curious
> what will be done with the colour grading.

Hey, Shabaz -- Can you explain what you mean by color grading? Is that
the effect that is used a lot on BSG to saturate/modify the colors of
the landscape in the exterior shots, in order to make the same basic
locations look like the different colony planets?

If so, I gotta disagree -- I'm getting kind of tired of that effect. It
hurts my eyes. It makes me think my TV is dying.

Besides, I think if it were used on B5:TLT, it would make it look *less*
distinctive among today's SF television, not *more*.

Kay Shapero

Oct 12, 2006, 5:06:24 PM10/12/06

> Pending final negotiations, Chris Franke has agreed to come

> on board to do the music.

Goodie!

As for the rest of it, insert clip of Daffy Duck going Woohoo all over
the landscape... :)

--
Kay Shapero
http://www.kayshapero.net

Amy Guskin

Oct 12, 2006, 5:59:21 PM10/12/06
(in article <chris_s_patterson-5...@individual.net>):

> In article <1160674061.3...@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
> "Shabaz" <shab...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> To make a bit of a tangential aside, about something I'm pretty sure
>> I'm one of the few that cares about it; I'm personally kind of curious
>> what will be done with the colour grading.
>
> Hey, Shabaz -- Can you explain what you mean by color grading? Is that
> the effect that is used a lot on BSG to saturate/modify the colors of
> the landscape in the exterior shots, in order to make the same basic
> locations look like the different colony planets?
>
> If so, I gotta disagree -- I'm getting kind of tired of that effect. It
> hurts my eyes. It makes me think my TV is dying. <<

I'm with you, Chris. With a good story, and a decent budget for professional
filming, I don't think you need gimmicks like that. And certainly not when
other similar shows are (over)using them!

For a _real_ abuse of that technique, see Battlefield Earth. Now
everything's blue! Now everything's yellow! Blue! Yellow!

>> Besides, I think if it were used on B5:TLT, it would make it look *less*
> distinctive among today's SF television, not *more*. <<

Word.

Amy

Jon

Oct 12, 2006, 6:31:10 PM10/12/06

Ooh..nice research. This company does do great effects and I noticed
that BSG and Firefly had the same sort of feel to them in terms of
digital effects looks, both of which I find to be very good. I'll hope
for them as well.

Jon D.

It is loading more messages.