WXON, Channel 20 (Detroit)

Wilkinson K F (Kimberly)

Aug 14, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/14/96

Anyone know what's up with WXON? I turned on
Channel 20 last night at 8:00 to watch B5...

And _Babewatch_ was on. How nauseating.

I'm hoping it was a one-time occurrence,
prompted by the Political Conventions.
If not, I think I'm gonna have to write a
very polite but firm letter about this policy
of replacing the ONLY thing worth watching
on TV with <gag> "Boobs-R-Us".

Anyone have the address or know where I can get it?
Who to write to? That kind of thing.

TIA...
--
Kim Wilkinson <*> (kwil...@mailhost.pd4.ford.com)

"A dog is not 'almost human,' and I know of no greater
insult to the canine race than to describe it as such."
-John Holmes
My opinions do not come from my employer. Heck,
I don't know *where* they come from. Vorlons,
maybe...

David S. Lee

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <1996081416...@internet-mail2.ford.com>, "Wilkinson K F
(Kimberly)" <kwil...@ford.com> wrote:

> Anyone know what's up with WXON? I turned on
> Channel 20 last night at 8:00 to watch B5...
>
> And _Babewatch_ was on. How nauseating.

Yeah, I noticed. Or rather, I saw the listing in TV Guide and made sure
to have the TV turned off (actually, I had it on, but I was copying some
old B5 eps for a friend).

I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm tempted to call and find out
what's going on, not only for the next few weeks, but also to see if
they've OFFICIALLY renewed B5 for their roster--I haven't heard any news
about it yet.

David S. Lee (internet: davi...@umich.edu)
Department of Otolaryngology
University of Michigan
Ann Arbor, MI 48109 http://www-personal.umich.edu/~davidlee/

Douglas L Friday

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

Excerpts from netnews.rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated: 14-Aug-96 WXON,
Channel 20 (Detroit) by "Wilkinson K F @ford.com

> Anyone know what's up with WXON? I turned on
> Channel 20 last night at 8:00 to watch B5...
>
> And _Babewatch_ was on. How nauseating.
>
> I'm hoping it was a one-time occurrence,
> prompted by the Political Conventions.
> If not, I think I'm gonna have to write a
> very polite but firm letter about this policy
> of replacing the ONLY thing worth watching
> on TV with <gag> "Boobs-R-Us".
>
> Anyone have the address or know where I can get it?
> Who to write to? That kind of thing.

My sympathies, but no. However, you can most likely get it from
www.babylon5.com, probably in /cmp/support/

Doug

-=[ Doug ]=-=[ vo...@cmu.edu ]=-=[ http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/vogon/ ]=-
"Let's make sure that we can keep people _already_born_ out of harm before
we even begin to worry about the UNborn."
Exercise your vote for Pro-Choice candidates in the upcoming elections.

Scott Johnson

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

:
: > Anyone know what's up with WXON? I turned on

: > Channel 20 last night at 8:00 to watch B5...
: >
: > And _Babewatch_ was on. How nauseating.
:
: I'm not sure what's going on there. I'm tempted to call and find out

: what's going on, not only for the next few weeks, but also to see if
: they've OFFICIALLY renewed B5 for their roster--I haven't heard any news
: about it yet.

They are still showing the repeats on Saturday nights at either 12 or 1am (I
forget which). I suspect (hope!) that maybe it was just a preempt since
they are in reruns. Might be worth a call to the station to find out...

--
Scott Johnson Email: sco...@eecs.umich.edu
http://www.eecs.umich.edu/~scottdj

Mr. Chuck Thompson

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

The TV GUIDE still shows the 2:00 am showing on Saturday/Sunday.

Craig Elder

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <1996081416...@internet-mail2.ford.com>,
"Wilkinson K F (Kimberly)" <kwil...@ford.com> wrote:
>Anyone know what's up with WXON? I turned on
>Channel 20 last night at 8:00 to watch B5...
>
>And _Babewatch_ was on. How nauseating.
>
>I'm hoping it was a one-time occurrence,
>prompted by the Political Conventions.
>If not, I think I'm gonna have to write a
>very polite but firm letter about this policy
>of replacing the ONLY thing worth watching
>on TV with <gag> "Boobs-R-Us".
>
>Anyone have the address or know where I can get it?
>Who to write to? That kind of thing.
>
>TIA...

Kimberly,

I was wondering why they played Baywatch instead of B5 also. However, I
couldn't get threw to the station when I called. Prob. because I tried
calling at 9:00p <g>. Maybe you will have better luck.

Michigan
Detroit WXON 20 Tue 8PM Sat 1AM
Phone: 810-355-2020 Fax: 810-355-0368
27777 Franklin Road, #1220
Southfield, MI 48034
Mr. Mike Berman, Station Manager
Ms. Tracey Menczer, Promotion Director

BTW I copied this from
http://www.babylon5.com/cmp/support/states/mich.htm

Craig

email - ca...@roogna.eng.wayne.edu
www - http://www.students.eng.wayne.edu/~cae1

David S. Lee

Aug 15, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/15/96

In article <1996081416...@internet-mail2.ford.com>, "Wilkinson K F
(Kimberly)" <kwil...@ford.com> wrote:

> Anyone know what's up with WXON?

Today, I sent a fax to WXON addressed to Tracey Menczer, their Promotion
Manager. I asked two questions:

1. Is the time slot for B5 changing?
2. Is WXON showing the 4th season?

Someone (maybe Ms. Menczer, maybe not), wrote some answers on my faxed
letter and faxed the whole thing back to me. Here's the answers:

1. Yes. The last Tuesday broadcast of B5 is going to be on 8/20/96. Then, B5
will be moving to 1AM Saturday until 9/7/96, and will move *again* to
midnight, one hour earlier.
There was no mention of what, if anything, will happen to the current 1AM
Sunday re-broadcast.
2. Yes.

Folks, these are not very good time slots. I wonder if some
letter-writing is in order?

David S. Lee

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

In article <davidlee-150...@news.itd.umich.edu>,

davi...@umich.edu (David S. Lee) wrote:

> In article <1996081416...@internet-mail2.ford.com>, "Wilkinson K F
> (Kimberly)" <kwil...@ford.com> wrote:
>
> > Anyone know what's up with WXON?
>
> Today, I sent a fax to WXON addressed to Tracey Menczer, their Promotion
> Manager. I asked two questions:
>
> 1. Is the time slot for B5 changing?
> 2. Is WXON showing the 4th season?

At 9AM this morning, I received a phone call from a Ms. (Hal?) Michaelson
of WXON with some clarifications to the information I received yesterday
(I asked them to contact me because the return fax they sent yesterday
wasn't worded clearly):

1. B5 *is* being renewed for Season 4

2. Here is the WXON broadcast schedule:
a. Tuesday evening broadcast - their last broadcast is 8/20/96. After
that, there will be NO MORE Tuesday broadcasts for the forseeable
future. When I asked if this was because of WXON's WB network
commitments, she said that B5 "just wasn't doing well" in its Tuesday
time slot, and that there were "many factors" in its decision to
eliminate the Tuesday broadcast.
b. Early Sunday morning broadcast - B5 will continue in this time slot (1AM
early Sunday morning) through 9/7/96. Starting 9/14/96, it will move 1
hour earlier, to midnight.

Sorry about the repeat of information and the potential for confusion this
will cause. Initially, I just wanted to get the info out as quickly as
possible. As I read the original fax more carefully, I realized that
there were multiple interpretations of the reply the WXON person had
written, but by that time, I had already hit the "send" button.

However, even with the revisions, this is bad news for people who have day
jobs and don't have a VCR. I really think some letter writing is in order
now!

Kyle B. Ferrio

Aug 16, 1996, 3:00:00 AM8/16/96

Apparently, WXON is getting a lot of calls about this.
If you don't ask for a specific person, they ask you
to leave a recorded message. The outgoing message
makes special note about the changes in the Babylon 5
schedule, albeit vaguely, and states that season 4 will
begin as scheduled in November. My guess is, WXON hasn't
decided when (or if?) to air B5. Hopefully, they don't
decide to leave it in the can. Get those letters mailed!

WXON TV-20
27777 Franklin Rd. Suite 1220
Southfield, MI 48034
Attn: Tracey Menczer, Promotions Manager

810-355-2020, fax: 810-355-0368
^^^^^^^^^
\------ ask for a person, e.g. Menczer, or you get a recording.

- Kyle