quick update from jms

jms...@aol.com

Feb 15, 2009, 2:13:24 AM2/15/09
Back from London, and gradually working my way out of jet-lag to catch
up with writing. As I'd anticipated, the BAFTA went to "In Bruges,"
and deservedly so. Overall, it was a great experience, and I'm
perfectly content with the resolution. One can't expect a home run in
one's first kick at the cat, as they say in places where apparently
cats are not terribly popular.

(And to a query upstream, yes, I have a theramin. No, I don't use it
to make strange noises in the middle of the night. I have a cat for
that.)

In other mews...I mean, news....

I'm on draft two of Forbidden Planet, and the process is going well,
very exciting stuff, and I hope I can talk about some of that in more
detail soonish.

About to make the final touches to World War Z, then with any luck we
can get this thing into pre-productoin also soonish.

Draft One of Lensman is in, now working on draft two.

There have been a couple of previews for Ninja Assassin, and the
audience scores have been just terrific. I have a suspicion that this
is going to do very well.

The pilot script for Last Words has gone in to Dreamworks, and they're
very very pleased with the script. So we'll see where this goes.

Interestingly, due to all the writing work, I've lately begun to be
offered directing gigs, most of it in the SF genre (natch). Nothing
has grabbed me enough yet to want to tackle it, but we'll see what the
future holds. A couple of studios have extended the offer for me to
write and direct my own stuff, which is pretty cool.

My agent has forbidden me to take on any other screenplay assignments
until March/April, but some projects have begun to circle Casa
Straczynski of late, looking for an open place to land when an opening
comes. Some very cool stuff on the horizon.

The interesting times continue.

jms

Ranger Elenopa

Feb 15, 2009, 9:39:00 AM2/15/09
I'm glad you had fun.

As I said elsewhere, sorry you didn't get it, but I did spot you about
four rows behind Goldie Hawn.

Ranger Elenopa

Jan

Feb 15, 2009, 10:28:26 AM2/15/09
In article <61c28d19-129c-4d9b...@h16g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
Ranger Elenopa says...

Alas, the shots I saw on the BBC America broadcast were barely long enough for
me to recognize Goldie Hawn, much less peer behind her to see JMS and there was
little in the way of red carpet coverage. Pity, too. I love seeing men in
tuxes.

Jan

--
Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognize
this singular truth: that we are one; and this singular rule: that

Vince M Hudd

Feb 15, 2009, 1:29:02 PM2/15/09
"jms...@aol.com" <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

[...]

> About to make the final touches to World War Z, then with any luck we can
> get this thing into pre-productoin also soonish.

I finally bought and read World War Z only a short while ago. Of all the
projects you've mentioned, *this* is the one I'm really looking forward to!

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Wes Struebing

Feb 15, 2009, 2:44:35 PM2/15/09
On Sat, 14 Feb 2009 23:13:24 -0800 (PST), "jms...@aol.com"
<jms...@aol.com> wrote:

<neat shtuff snipped>

>The interesting times continue.

One hopes that they continue to do so!

(having a hard time thinking of someone who deserves his "overnight
success" more.)

Joe Chicago

Feb 15, 2009, 4:12:55 PM2/15/09

> (And to a query upstream, yes, I have a theramin.  No, I don't use it
> to make strange noises in the middle of the night.  I have a cat for
> that.)

That's "theremin." Unless it isn't . . .

Joe chicago

Stefan

Feb 15, 2009, 5:06:06 PM2/15/09

Forbidden Planet, WWZ, Lensmen, Ninja Assassin,
Last Words ...
All that stuff.
Just overwhelming!

As we know, Your close time scripts went always best.

<dream on>
Maybe in 2009 2nd quarter Your agent is allowing
You a tiny free slot for an Asimov-adaptation.
</dream off>

<gdr>
Stefan

--
Sinclair: "Stay close to the Vorlon. And watch out for shadows.
They move when you're not looking at them."

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 15, 2009, 5:21:19 PM2/15/09
On Feb 15, 4:12 pm, Joe Chicago <levdtrot...@mac.com> wrote:
> That's "theremin." Unless it isn't . . .

That's correct - at least according to www.theremin-world.com, and
you'd think they'd know if anyone would.

Which is good, because every time I see "theramin" in print, I think
of a cold remedy. <g>

Regards,

Joe

Amy Guskin

Feb 15, 2009, 6:14:20 PM2/15/09
>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 17:21:19 -0500, thus spake Joseph DeMartino (in article
<705460c8-46c2-4e3f...@a12g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>):

Are you tired, run-down, listless? Do you poop out at parties? Are you
unpopular? The answer to all your problems is in this little instrument.
Vitameatatheramin. Yes, Vitameatatheramin contains vitamins, meat,
vegetables, and strange tones. Yes, with Vitameatatheramin, you can tune your
way to health!

Amy ("Hey LOOOOsie!")
--
Ten Thousand Questions Blog:
A Question a Day for Journaling, Self-Discovery, and Transformation

Dan Dassow

Feb 15, 2009, 6:15:05 PM2/15/09
On Feb 15, 4:21 pm, Joseph DeMartino <jdema...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 4:12 pm, Joe Chicago <levdtrot...@mac.com> wrote:
>
> > That's "theremin." Unless it isn't . . .
>
> That's correct - at least according towww.theremin-world.com, and

> you'd think they'd know if anyone would.
>
> Which is good, because every time I see "theramin" in print, I think
> of a cold remedy.  <g>

Whenever I see theremin or thereamin in print, I think of thiamine
(vitamin B1 and aneurine hydrochloride).

Dan Dassow

Dan Dassow

Feb 15, 2009, 6:34:35 PM2/15/09
On Feb 15, 1:13 am, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:
> Back from London, and gradually working my way out of jet-lag to catch
> up with writing.  As I'd anticipated, the BAFTA went to "In Bruges,"
> and deservedly so.  Overall, it was a great experience, and I'm
> perfectly content with the resolution.  One can't expect a home run in
> one's first kick at the cat, as they say in places where apparently
> cats are not terribly popular.

Joe, I am happy to see that your survived your trip to London. I was
disappointed not to seen any picture of you from the BAFTA awards.
Were you invited to the Academy Awards ceremony next Sunday February
22, 2009 or will you be watching the ceremony like most of us from
home?

<-- Great news deleted for brevity -->

> My agent has forbidden me to take on any other screenplay assignments
> until March/April, but some projects have begun to circle Casa
> Straczynski of late, looking for an open place to land when an opening
> comes.  Some very cool stuff on the horizon.

You agent is a wise person. Much as I would like you to do the
adaptation of Asimov’s Foundation series, a screenplay for Superman,
and many other projects, I would much rather have you remain in good
health.

> The interesting times continue.

May the interesting times continue in perpetuity.

> jms

Patty Winter

Feb 15, 2009, 6:59:20 PM2/15/09

In article <3c2f281d-6045-45a6...@p23g2000prp.googlegroups.com>,

jms...@aol.com <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

>(And to a query upstream, yes, I have a theramin. No, I don't use it
>to make strange noises in the middle of the night. I have a cat for
>that.)

You know, I keep seeing these news stories about research that
concludes that having a cat can relieve stress. I have to believe
that the research consisted of plopping a purring cat in someone's
lap for 20 minutes. Because I have lots of empirical evidence that
having one around 24 hours a day is NOT a stress reducer. :-)

Well, okay, the "purring in the lap" part of the 24 hours is
pretty relaxing...But the "jumping on top of the human at 4:00
in the morning" part, not so much. :-)

Patty

Jon Schild

Feb 15, 2009, 8:30:33 PM2/15/09

It is. The inventor's name was Russian (??????) pronounced like
TER-meen. When he went to France, he spelled it according to French
rules to get the same sound. The French spelling carried over into
English, only pronounced by English rules. So, what we use for his name
now is neither spelled nor pronounced the same as originally.

There is a great documentary about his life and the instrument available
on DVD (Netflix has it). It's called _Theremin: An Electronic Odyssey_.

--
Wanted dead and/or alive: Shroedinger's cat.

Message has been deleted

John W. Kennedy

Feb 15, 2009, 8:39:40 PM2/15/09
On Feb 15, 8:30 pm, Jon Schild <j...@xmission.com> wrote:
> Joe Chicago wrote:
> >>(And to a query upstream, yes, I have a theramin.  No, I don't use it
> >>to make strange noises in the middle of the night.  I have a cat for
> >>that.)
>
> > That's "theremin." Unless it isn't . . .
>
> > Joe chicago
>
> It is. The inventor's name was Russian (??????) pronounced like
> TER-meen. When he went to France, he spelled it according to French
> rules to get the same sound. The French spelling carried over into
> English, only pronounced by English rules. So, what we use for his name
> now isneither spelled nor pronounced the same as originally.

Puts him in the same company with Jesus....

Amy Guskin

Feb 15, 2009, 9:10:23 PM2/15/09
>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:59:20 -0500, thus spake Patty Winter (in article
<4998ac58$0$1590$742e...@news.sonic.net>):

That's why they make doors. And before you say, "My cat would never stand
for being locked out of the bedroom at night," I think it's instructive to
understand it from the cat's perspective: our guys are _certain_ that they
are locking _us_ out of the _rest_ of the house each night. :-)

Amy

Amy Guskin

Feb 15, 2009, 9:14:43 PM2/15/09
>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 20:30:33 -0500, thus spake Jon Schild (in article
<gnac1r$ek1$1...@news.xmission.com>):

Blink.

Checking shelf....

Yep, I have it. Bought it used for about $3.99, never watched it. So it's
good? That's kind of neat -- I love shopping in my own house and finding
something new.

Blair Leatherwood

Feb 15, 2009, 11:50:37 PM2/15/09
Amy Guskin wrote:
>>>On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:59:20 -0500, thus spake Patty Winter (in article
>
> <4998ac58$0$1590$742e...@news.sonic.net>):
>

>>In article
>><3c2f281d-6045-45a6...@p23g2000prp.googlegroups.com>,
>>jms...@aol.com <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>>(And to a query upstream, yes, I have a theramin. No, I don't use it
>>>to make strange noises in the middle of the night. I have a cat for
>>>that.)
>>
>>You know, I keep seeing these news stories about research that
>>concludes that having a cat can relieve stress. I have to believe
>>that the research consisted of plopping a purring cat in someone's
>>lap for 20 minutes. Because I have lots of empirical evidence that
>>having one around 24 hours a day is NOT a stress reducer. :-)
>>
>>Well, okay, the "purring in the lap" part of the 24 hours is
>>pretty relaxing...But the "jumping on top of the human at 4:00
>>in the morning" part, not so much. :-) <<
>

> That's why they make doors. And before you say, "My cat would never stand
> for being locked out of the bedroom at night," I think it's instructive to
> understand it from the cat's perspective: our guys are _certain_ that they
> are locking _us_ out of the _rest_ of the house each night. :-)
>
> Amy
Well, you could do that, but you'd be trading "jumping on top of the
human" for "pounding on the door"--at 4am. At least you can toss the
cat off the bed; if they pound on the door, then you're up and they win.

Blair

Blair

Matt Ion

Feb 16, 2009, 1:49:09 AM2/16/09
Amy Guskin wrote:
>>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 18:59:20 -0500, thus spake Patty Winter (in article
> <4998ac58$0$1590$742e...@news.sonic.net>):
>
>> In article
>> <3c2f281d-6045-45a6...@p23g2000prp.googlegroups.com>,
>> jms...@aol.com <jms...@aol.com> wrote:
>>> (And to a query upstream, yes, I have a theramin. No, I don't use it
>>> to make strange noises in the middle of the night. I have a cat for
>>> that.)

Certainly, if you're always kicking at it...

What does Buddy's agent have to say about all this cat-kicking anyway?

>> You know, I keep seeing these news stories about research that
>> concludes that having a cat can relieve stress. I have to believe
>> that the research consisted of plopping a purring cat in someone's
>> lap for 20 minutes. Because I have lots of empirical evidence that
>> having one around 24 hours a day is NOT a stress reducer. :-)

Unless you're kicking it!

>> Well, okay, the "purring in the lap" part of the 24 hours is
>> pretty relaxing...But the "jumping on top of the human at 4:00
>> in the morning" part, not so much. :-) <<

If you haven't seen it, this is a must-watch:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0ffwDYo00Q

> That's why they make doors. And before you say, "My cat would never stand
> for being locked out of the bedroom at night," I think it's instructive to
> understand it from the cat's perspective: our guys are _certain_ that they
> are locking _us_ out of the _rest_ of the house each night. :-)

As they say... dogs have masters; cats have staff.

Hank Arnold (MVP)

Feb 16, 2009, 4:39:33 AM2/16/09

My thoughts, exactly. This was the first (and the best) zombie novel
I've read. Can't wait for it...... :-)

--

Regards,
Hank Arnold

Amy Guskin

Feb 16, 2009, 9:04:06 AM2/16/09
>> On Sun, 15 Feb 2009 23:50:37 -0500, thus spake Blair Leatherwood (in article
<gnarcd$t76$1...@news.motzarella.org>):

We trained ours (mostly) out of that when they were young. They still do it
_very_ occasionally, but a few weeks of lasagna pans filled with water,
placed on aluminum foil, lined up in front of the outside of the bedroom door
at night did the trick.

Jon Schild

Feb 16, 2009, 1:21:17 PM2/16/09

I accidentally cured my cat of that behavior. One night years ago, I was
sleeping on my back and was in the middle of some dream, when a weight
landed on my chest and something made a loud noise. Half awake, I
grabbed the thing and tossed it across the room. Then I woke up a bit
farther to see my Vashti running out of my bedroom. She has never jumped
on me in bed again.

apar...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2009, 12:39:37 PM2/16/09
Glad to see you're keeping busy. I sent you something in email --
Babylon 5, 'Ashes', I wanted you to look at, really just wanted your
'thoughts' more than anything. And any advice you can spare for
someone that wants to become a screenplay writer, specifically sci-fi
TV series.

From Texas,
- Ron

apar...@gmail.com

Feb 16, 2009, 12:55:22 PM2/16/09
I wonder if there is anyway Leslie Nielsen could be in Forbidden
Planet ...

>From Texas,
- Ron

Josh Hill

Feb 16, 2009, 1:26:09 PM2/16/09
On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 02:14:43 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>Blink.
>
>Checking shelf....
>
>Yep, I have it. Bought it used for about $3.99, never watched it. So it's
>good? That's kind of neat -- I love shopping in my own house and finding
>something new.

Yeah, it's good. Theremin's story is fairly amazing. And Clara
Rockmore is always worth watching.

--
Josh

"What is it exactly that the V.P. does every day?" - Sarah Palin

Amy Guskin

Feb 16, 2009, 1:47:31 PM2/16/09
article <e35ef5a2-7e66-404d...@j35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>):

> Glad to see you're keeping busy. I sent you something in email --
> Babylon 5, 'Ashes', I wanted you to look at, really just wanted your
> 'thoughts' more than anything. And any advice you can spare for
> someone that wants to become a screenplay writer, specifically sci-fi
> TV series. <<

Ron, you might want to familiarize yourself with the JMS Email FAQ:

http://fjordstone.com/rastb5mod/emailfaq.html

He has asked quite emphatically that people NOT send him story ideas via
email, and has also said that "requests to read your scripts or stories will
be met by stony silence."

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 16, 2009, 5:41:28 PM2/16/09
On Feb 16, 12:39 pm, apart...@gmail.com wrote:
> Glad to see you're keeping busy.  I sent you something in email -- Babylon 5, 'Ashes', I wanted you to look at, really just wanted your 'thoughts' more than anything... <

Ron:

Amy has already pointed you to the JMS e-mail FAQ. You might also
want to review the rules for this newsgroup, which spell out in more
detail why JMS needs to avoid story ideas in public forums, including
this one, as well as in prviate e-mail. I know of at least two
instances where he was forced to stop even lurking on message boards
because fans did not respect this simple request. Understand that
anything you write the parallels something JMS is already working on
because even the chance of a lawsuit can scare off a studio or a
publisher.

> And any advice you can spare for someone that wants to become a screenplay writer, specifically sci-fi TV series. <

JMS has written an entire book just brimming with such advice. It has
become a standard text in many writing programs. "The Complete Book
of Scriptwriting" covers theatrical films, radio plays, animation,
stage plays and, yes, television.is available from Amazon.com among
other places. (I'm hoping that he'll find time to revise it again,
now that his industry profile is higher.)

You can find the paperback here:

http://tinyurl.com/bbro7s

And, of course, his entire 20+ year interaction with fans on the
internet has been one big graduate course in the business of writing -
for the big screen, the small screen, animated series and comic
books. Check out the archives at JMSNews.com for the bulk of what
he's written on-line in that span.

Regards,

Joe

Professor

Feb 16, 2009, 5:56:35 PM2/16/09
On Feb 15, 1:13 am, "jmsa...@aol.com" <jmsa...@aol.com> wrote:

> A couple of studios have extended the offer for me to
> write and direct my own stuff, which is pretty cool.

> jms

This is a good sign, especially for the B5 fans. If JMS is being
sought out to write and direct his own work, this means that his
street value is high. With a high street value, WB, owner of B5, will
need to look again at JMS for B5 projects. Note that Time Warner stock
(TWX) is trading today at 8.67 cents (US). This is down from a 52 week
high of 16.90 (~50%). I suspect that shareholders are looking for big
winning projects from TWX and given JMS' track record of producing
robust profits for the company, I would wager that they will seek him
out again for a B5 project or two in the near future. However, the
sticking point is that he has drawn a line in the sand and said no
more small budgets for B5 project. So the question is WB television,
and TWX, willing to float JMS a real budget for B5 with the
expectation that he can deliver a project that will pay handsom
dividends for the company.

David

jms...@aol.com

Feb 16, 2009, 7:19:21 PM2/16/09
> > jms- Hide quoted text -

Yes, I got it, and I deleted it instantly as soon as I realized what
it was without reading it. I've made it very clear in the past: DO
NOT send me story ideas for Babylon 5, let alone a whole freaking
series breakdown.

Don't. Do. It. Again.

jms

John W. Kennedy

Feb 16, 2009, 11:42:05 PM2/16/09
On Feb 16, 12:39 pm, apart...@gmail.com wrote:
> Glad to see you're keeping busy.  I sent you something in email --
> Babylon 5, 'Ashes', I wanted you to look at, really just wanted your
> 'thoughts' more than anything.  And any advice you can spare for
> someone that wants to become a screenplay writer, specifically sci-fi
> TV series.

A) Don't /ever/ send a story idea to JMS (or any other professional
writer). Do it once, and you're an ignorant newbie. Do it twice, and
you're a stalker.

B) Don't try to sell a TV series to anybody. Period. The only people
who get to do that are people who are already successful working TV
writer/producers. Otherwise, it just makes you look stupid when you
try.

B1) Possible exception: if you have lots of money, and can shoot your
own pilot, you're welcome to try. Be aware, however, that a one-hour
science-fiction production will cost you at least one million dollars
unless you're willing to cut corners. Even if you're willing to cut
every corner possible, plan on at least $50,000.

C) Don't try to sell /anything/ that belongs to someone else. "Babylon
5" belongs to Warner Brothers (our Joe has some minor rights here and
there, but it's basically WB's property), and they have lawyers who
eat people like you for mid-morning snacks.

D) If you want to be a TV writer, write. Are there amateur theatres
near you that run writing contests? Maybe even a professional one?
Perhaps a Renaissance Faire or two? Start writing. (And, by the way,
if you've never done any of these things, start doing them, so you
know how they're done. Act if you can, or be a stagehand or builder.
Get to know people, too; friends in strategic places are important.)
And write and write and write. Start with one-acts and move up. Don't
forget children's theatre, by the way. And what you write, submit.

E) Read Joe's book, which has already been recommended. I personally
also recommend "How Not to Write a Play" by Walter Kerr and, unless
you are repelled by Christianity, Dorothy L. Sayers' brilliant "The
Mind of the Maker".

F) And read other things. And if, by the way, you read nothing but
science fiction, stop that. People who read nothing but science
fiction grow up to be, if they become writers at all, third-rate
comicbook writers. Read Jane Austen and James Fenimore Cooper and
Alexandre Dumas, Sr., and Charles Dickens and Mark Twain and ... well,
the list is a long one.

No, I'm not a writer. But my wife had five scripts produced last year
in amateur venues, and she's having one produced in a professional
theater in New York this May. She's already written one play this year
(it's her first in blank verse), and started writing another this
afternoon.

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 2:06:56 AM2/17/09

Well, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. It was a breach of
protocol-- no I did not look at the FAQ. I put a lot of thought in to
that series breakdown, I simply wanted your thoughts. And I now I
have them. It was not meant as an Infringement on your creation. I'm
not interested in credits or money, I'm just a fan.

Again, my apologies. No offense was meant.

- Ron

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 2:10:43 AM2/17/09
On Feb 16, 10:42 pm, "John W. Kennedy" <John.W.Kenn...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 16, 12:39 pm, apart...@gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Glad to see you're keeping busy.  I sent you something in email --
> > Babylon 5, 'Ashes', I wanted you to look at, really just wanted your
> > 'thoughts' more than anything.  And any advice you can spare for
> > someone that wants to become a screenplay writer, specifically sci-fi
> > TV series.

No, I'm not repelled by Christianity. I am a Christian man, the Lord
saved me these last ten years ago.

- Ron

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 2:30:24 AM2/17/09
LOL. Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
pas.

- Ron

On Feb 16, 10:42 pm, "John W. Kennedy" <John.W.Kenn...@gmail.com>

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 2:57:57 AM2/17/09
Well, I invested over a $100 in the Babylon 5 DVDs and became an
instant fan because I thought the storyline was good workmanship,
particularly when I became aware that JMS did the vast majority of the
writing. And I had intentions of buying the movies as well. At the
most I expected JMS to reply 'Interesting' ... at the worst I expected
him to say 'please don't email me scripts or stories'.

- Ron

On Feb 16, 12:47 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:39:37 -0500, thus spake apart...@gmail.com (in
>
> article <e35ef5a2-7e66-404d-a24d-750d129f7...@j35g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>):

Amy Guskin

Feb 17, 2009, 7:39:11 AM2/17/09
<c6427ea6-17b8-4898...@x38g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>):

> Well, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. It was a breach of
> protocol-- no I did not look at the FAQ. I put a lot of thought in to
> that series breakdown, I simply wanted your thoughts. And I now I
> have them. It was not meant as an Infringement on your creation. I'm
> not interested in credits or money, I'm just a fan. <<

Ron, you have to understand: this isn't simply a matter of whether or not you
say you want money. If you send a story to Joe and he has the bad luck to
read it (fortunately he didn't in this case), and it contains an idea he is
working on already, he will have to shelve that idea. Or if it contains an
idea he was _thinking_ of working on, he will have to shelve that idea.
Anything you send him that you think is a good idea -- if he had seen it --
would never, ever, ever, ever see the light of day in an actual B5 production
(whether tv or film). Why? Because WB cannot risk a lawsuit. And if your
idea that JMS could have seen (which he didn't) got into their production,
you or your lawyers might just decide to sue them, whether you say you will
or not in a posting here -- and what you say here isn't very binding, so he
can't take that as a legal contract.

Incidentally, if you read the thing you agreed to before you started posting
to this newsgroup, you'll know that you've agreed not to post story ideas
here, either.

Amy Guskin

Feb 17, 2009, 7:40:59 AM2/17/09
<153d9808-9d1d-4527...@o36g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>):

> LOL. Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
> pas.<<

Wow, nice attitude. Several people here have tried to help you by offering
good advice, and explaining _why_ it was such a faux pas, and making sure
that you don't unknowingly skewer any B5 projects down the line, and that's
your reply? Sheesh..

Amy Guskin

Feb 17, 2009, 7:43:21 AM2/17/09
<023d0f2e-c7cb-4c25...@x10g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>):

> Well, I invested over a $100 in the Babylon 5 DVDs and became an
> instant fan because I thought the storyline was good workmanship,
> particularly when I became aware that JMS did the vast majority of the
> writing. And I had intentions of buying the movies as well. At the
> most I expected JMS to reply 'Interesting' ... at the worst I expected
> him to say 'please don't email me scripts or stories'. <<

You know, several _million_ people invested that much -- or more, speaking as
someone who bought each of the sets the day they were released, at
considerably more than $20 a pop -- but that doesn't give you any proprietary
interest in the property. We're all just fans. We love it, but we don't own
it. And I do hear a bit of that entitlement in your reply.

And, this is an example of why it's good to manage one's expectations.

Jan

Feb 17, 2009, 8:24:08 AM2/17/09
In article <153d9808-9d1d-4527...@o36g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,
Ron says...

>LOL. Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
>pas.
>
>- Ron

You've gotten some good advice in these posts. While it's natural to be
embarrassed about your mistake, you might want to read them in the spirit
they're given and that's to give you info on much of what JMS has imparted about
writing over the years both in his book and his posts.

Jan

--
Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognize
this singular truth: that we are one; and this singular rule: that
we must be kind to one another.

Dennis (Icarus)

Feb 17, 2009, 8:58:11 AM2/17/09
"Ron" <apar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>LOL. Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
>pas.

You wanted advice and JMS's attention. You got it.
Point A was a reply to your ignorant mistake. Using the wrong fork would be
a faux pas.
B-F is very good advice about how to go about achieving your dream. At least
from what I can tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_Through_Gethsemane
This episode was originally developed for the show's second season but had
to be "scuttled" because a fan posted a story idea on GEnie that was very
similar to the plot of the episode. Legal steps had to be taken to clear the
situation up before the story could be put back into the production
pipeline.

Dennis

.

Matt Ion

Feb 17, 2009, 10:05:20 AM2/17/09
Ron wrote:
> LOL. Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
> pas.

Well, we DO have plenty of speculating to do on the nature of JMS's
other various projects... and the nature of Zathras and Ivanova's TRUE
relationship... and why Starfuries look like big ugly water skeeters...

But you've provided an interesting distraction from the usual banter, so
expect people to jump on it :)

Patty Winter

Feb 17, 2009, 11:42:34 AM2/17/09

In article <88ba9$499ac286$4c499b29$20...@KNOLOGY.NET>,

Dennis \(Icarus\) <ala_di...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passing_Through_Gethsemane
>This episode was originally developed for the show's second season but had
>to be "scuttled" because a fan posted a story idea on GEnie that was very
>similar to the plot of the episode. Legal steps had to be taken to clear the
>situation up before the story could be put back into the production
>pipeline.

Wow, I never knew that. I'm REALLY glad that situation got cleared
up, because PtG is one of my very favorite B5 episodes. How scary
to think that it might never have aired. I'm sure glad that Joe went
to the trouble of clearing up the rights so he could make the episode.

Patty

Jan

Feb 17, 2009, 12:10:20 PM2/17/09
In article <499ae8fa$0$1633$742e...@news.sonic.net>, Patty Winter says...

There were no rights for JMS to get since, as I understand it, ideas aren't
copyrightable. Even so, the fan could have tried to haul JMS/WB into court so
he set the story aside until positions could be clarified with the fan who
inadvertently posted the idea.

JMS wrote a very informative post about story ideas here:
http://jmsnews.com/msg.aspx?id=1-5509

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 12:26:00 PM2/17/09
Ya. Apparently I stirred up a hornet's nest. In anycase, that was
never the intention (laying stones). I wasn't aware that Zathras and
Ivanova had a relationship.

But speaking of that-- whatever happened to Draal?

- Ron

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 12:31:27 PM2/17/09
Probably an issue with intellectual rights. It's an interesting
position-- a series creator makes something, but then the legal system
comes along an can apparently decide his idea is the result of someone
else's work. When it's clearly not the case.

Madness.

- Ron

On Feb 17, 11:10 am, Jan <janmschroe...@aol.com> wrote:
> In article <499ae8fa$0$1633$742ec...@news.sonic.net>, Patty Winter says..

David Williams

Feb 17, 2009, 5:45:51 PM2/17/09

"Ron" <apar...@gmail.com> wrote in message

- Ron

Not to pile on, but as long as you're getting raked over the coals...
Top-posting generally frowned upon here as well.

Regards,
David W.

lizardgirl

Feb 17, 2009, 6:31:55 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 12:30 am, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> LOL.  Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
> pas.

sure. do you floss?

lg

Support Autism Research!
Visit www.spicersevents.com for more information
& link to EvoCouture Event Registration.

Dan Dassow

Feb 17, 2009, 7:20:24 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 5:31 pm, lizardgirl <gab...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 12:30 am, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > LOL.  Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
> > pas.
>
> sure.  do you floss?
>
> lg

We could mention that the Changeling DVD was released today!

Dan Dassow

Amy Guskin

Feb 17, 2009, 8:07:31 PM2/17/09
<c0403b81-cb42-48f2...@l16g2000yqo.googlegroups.com>):

> Probably an issue with intellectual rights. It's an interesting
> position-- a series creator makes something, but then the legal system
> comes along an can apparently decide his idea is the result of someone
> else's work. When it's clearly not the case. <<

The legal system can't just come along and "apparently decide" that about
someone's intellectual property. JMS didn't just have WB steal away his
rights. He entered into a contract with them to produce and write a tv show,
and they paid a lot of money to make it happen.

You don't have to sign a contract with anyone -- or any corporation -- you
don't want to. But you might someday feel that it's worth it to do so. As
JMS did.

Dennis (Icarus)

Feb 17, 2009, 8:42:25 PM2/17/09

"Patty Winter" <pat...@wintertime.com> wrote in message
I only leard that when I started reading here. I agree with PtG. Wonderful
episode.....

Dennis

.

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 17, 2009, 9:21:09 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 8:07 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> The legal system can't just come along and "apparently decide" that about
> someone's intellectual property.  JMS didn't just have WB steal away his
> rights.  He entered into a contract with them to produce and write a tv show,
> and they paid a lot of money to make it happen.

I *think* Ron was referring to the idea of someone suing JMS for a fan-
suggested "B5" story, rather than the ownership of the series. (Hard
to be sure, since he doesn't actually quote the post he was replying
to and his own post is vague.)

Regards,

Joe

Chris Adams

Feb 17, 2009, 9:39:00 PM2/17/09
Once upon a time, Ron <apar...@gmail.com> said:
>LOL. Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
>pas.

Fasten or zip?

Purple or green?

Sorry, no more; I'm off to watch my new DVD "Dead Like Me: Life After
Death".
--
Chris Adams <cma...@hiwaay.net>

John W. Kennedy

Feb 17, 2009, 9:53:22 PM2/17/09

On 2/17/09 12:26 PM, Ron wrote:
> Ya. Apparently I stirred up a hornet's nest. In anycase, that was
> never the intention (laying stones). I wasn't aware that Zathras and
> Ivanova had a relationship.
>
> But speaking of that-- whatever happened to Draal?

In the /story/, nothing. As far as we know, he was still at the heart
of the Great Machine for hundreds of years after B5 was scuttled.

In the /show/, it's more complicated.

The first actor, Louis Turenne, got sick, though he get better later
and came back as Brother Theo.

The second actor, John Schuck, got into a Broadway revival of "Annie".

JMS decided two was enough, and that Zathras was more fun than Draal,
anyway.

John W. Kennedy

Feb 17, 2009, 10:14:53 PM2/17/09
On 2/17/09 12:31 PM, Ron wrote:
> Probably an issue with intellectual rights. It's an interesting
> position-- a series creator makes something, but then the legal system
> comes along an can apparently decide his idea is the result of someone
> else's work. When it's clearly not the case.
>
> Madness.

It's not a question of the legal system deciding that -- the problem
is the legal system sucking up millions of dollars in time and legal
fees and very likely causing the cancellation of the show or movie in
question -- before the legal system has had the time to reach its
decision that the jerk has no case.

Because the legal system /has/ to take time and money. Because
sometimes the jerk is telling the truth, and Hollywood /did/ rip him
off. See Buchwald v. Paramount.

And even if the jerk really is a jerk, and the court properly finds
against him, there's no guarantee that that will be the end of it. For
almost ten years, now, author Patricia Cornwell has been dealing with
an out-and-out maniac. (And so has everyone on the Internet, because
he keeps posting his insane fantasies on-line, according to which, by
this point, Patricia Cornwell is the Secret Head of the Secret Nazi
Government of the USA, which is Out To Get Him because he's Jewish.
No, I'm not making this up.)

There is an electric fence between amateurs and professionals in
Hollywood. Don't whiz on it. Joe Straczynski is pretty much the only
one from the professional side who regularly comes out to play with
us, and his lawyers keep telling him he's taking irresponsible risks
by doing that. Nobody here wants to see someone proving that his
lawyers are right.

Amy Guskin

Feb 17, 2009, 10:21:18 PM2/17/09
<R8udnbM5v9lZ6QbU...@posted.hiwaay2>):

> Once upon a time, Ron <apar...@gmail.com> said:
>> LOL. Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
>> pas.
>
> Fasten or zip?
>
> Purple or green?
>
> Sorry, no more; I'm off to watch my new DVD "Dead Like Me: Life After
> Death". <<

What what what?? Is this _new_ "Dead Like Me"? Is this the only post-series
offering, or do I have more to buy? Holy crap, more "Dead Like Me"...have I
died and gone to heaven?

Laura Appelbaum

Feb 17, 2009, 10:32:37 PM2/17/09

"Well, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. It was a breach of
protocol-- no I did not look at the FAQ."

You aren't even willing to spend the time to read the FAQ on a freaking
*moderated* newsgroup; at least enough time to *skim* the FAQ and see *why*
it's a moderated newsgroup, and then you go and violate the *exact reason
there it IS a moderated newsgroup* and then you go and "apologize" in the
following snarky way ... "I simply wanted your thoughts. And I now I have
them ..." !!????!!!

You are many things but "I am just a fan" is not among the descriptors that
come to my mind.

LMA

Amy Guskin

Feb 17, 2009, 10:39:51 PM2/17/09
<pjLml.123$Ez6...@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>):

> "Ron" <apar...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> "Well, I'm very sorry for the inconvenience. It was a breach of
> protocol-- no I did not look at the FAQ."
>
> You aren't even willing to spend the time to read the FAQ on a freaking
> *moderated* newsgroup;<<

Just a quick comment here. To be fair to Ron, one would have to, at this
time, _ask_ where the FAQ is in order to read it. A few months ago, AOL
Hometown went away, and that's where the newsgroup information page (and thus
the JMS Email FAQ) was. I now have the pages housed on my fjordstone.com
server, but 1) they aren't popping up nearly as visibly in Google yet as they
were when they were on AOL Hometown, and 2) they need some updating.

Anyway, if anyone wants to look at the information, it's here:

http://fjordstone.com/rastb5mod/

One thing that isn't updated is the list of moderators. I should be on it,
now (and will eventually add myself), and don't think we see much of anyone
else on that list besides Jay and Cheryl.

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 8:52:42 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 4:45 pm, "David Williams" <kosh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> "Ron" <apart...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Thanks. Is typing in caps allowed? Or does eveyrone's computer yell
it at them when they read it?.

- Ron.

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 8:54:53 PM2/17/09

I'm going to have to see that one. I thought that was great news, Ron
Howard, Jolie.

- Ron

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 8:55:38 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 5:31 pm, lizardgirl <gab...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 12:30 am, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > LOL.  Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
> > pas.
>
> sure.  do you floss?
>
> lg
>
> Support Autism Research!
> Visitwww.spicersevents.comfor more information

> & link to EvoCouture Event Registration.

Friday's .. before 8pm.

- Ron

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 9:26:05 PM2/17/09

You're exactly right. On all accounts. :)

- Ron

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 17, 2009, 11:02:55 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 10:21 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:

> What what what??  Is this _new_ "Dead Like Me"?  Is this the only post-series
> offering, or do I have more to buy?  Holy crap, more "Dead Like Me"...have I
> died and gone to heaven?

Direct-to-DVD movie with pretty much everybody except Mandy Patinkin
and Laura Harris returning. (Rube has moved on and been replaced as
the Reaper's supervisor, Daisy is still around, but being played by a
new actress.) I knew it was in the works, but had no idea it had been
released already. This is the first and only post-series project, so
you only have one moe disc to buy. <g>

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1079444/

Later,

Joe

Chris Adams

Feb 17, 2009, 11:24:35 PM2/17/09
Once upon a time, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> said:
>What what what?? Is this _new_ "Dead Like Me"? Is this the only post-series
>offering, or do I have more to buy? Holy crap, more "Dead Like Me"...have I
>died and gone to heaven?

It is a direct-to-DVD movie, released today. I did not have the series
on DVD, and Target had a set with all the episodes plus the movie, so
that's what I bought (eh, $20 for the movie vs. $50 for two seasons plus
the movie, not a hard choice).

There's no Rube, and Daisy was recast, but the rest of the gang is back.

No spoilers here, but I liked it. It has a little different feel to it,
but I think it worked. They did have an ending that ended but left room
for more (I loved the last line :-) ).

There was no major greenscreen work, and no sock puppets; apparently
_somebody_ "gets" direct-to-DVD follow-on to show-with-cult-following
(did I use enough punctuation in that line?).

David Williams

Feb 18, 2009, 1:36:00 AM2/18/09

> Thanks. Is typing in caps allowed? Or does eveyrone's
> computer yell it at them when they read it?.

Again, generally reserved for EMPHASIS. Personally, I find all caps hard on
the eyes, regardless of the writer's intent.

Regards,
David W.

Amy Guskin

Feb 18, 2009, 2:21:16 AM2/18/09
<0908b05a-27f4-47e1...@t13g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>):

> On Feb 17, 10:21 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>
>> What what what??  Is this _new_ "Dead Like Me"?  Is this the only
>> post-series
>> offering, or do I have more to buy?  Holy crap, more "Dead Like Me"...have I
>> died and gone to heaven?
>
> Direct-to-DVD movie with pretty much everybody except Mandy Patinkin
> and Laura Harris returning. (Rube has moved on and been replaced as
> the Reaper's supervisor, Daisy is still around, but being played by a
> new actress.) I knew it was in the works, but had no idea it had been
> released already. <<

I'm starting to have deja vu. I'm wondering if, in fact, _you_ already told
me about it!

>> This is the first and only post-series project, so
> you only have one moe disc to buy. <g> <<

No, that's only if I'm completing a Three Stooges set... <g,d,r>

Amy Guskin

Feb 18, 2009, 2:23:47 AM2/18/09
<f_WdnY7YcfceEAbU...@posted.hiwaay2>):

> Once upon a time, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> said:
>> What what what?? Is this _new_ "Dead Like Me"? Is this the only
>> post-series
>> offering, or do I have more to buy? Holy crap, more "Dead Like Me"...have
>> died and gone to heaven?
>
> It is a direct-to-DVD movie, released today. I did not have the series
> on DVD, and Target had a set with all the episodes plus the movie, so
> that's what I bought (eh, $20 for the movie vs. $50 for two seasons plus
> the movie, not a hard choice).
>
> There's no Rube, and Daisy was recast, but the rest of the gang is back.<<

Daisy was recast? Why not just switch her out with a new reaper, I wonder --
they've done it before. And I'll miss Mandy Patinkin, but will be much
consoled by the fact that Henry Ian Cusick is in it.

>> No spoilers here, but I liked it. It has a little different feel to it,
> but I think it worked. They did have an ending that ended but left room
> for more (I loved the last line :-) ).
>
> There was no major greenscreen work, and no sock puppets; apparently
> _somebody_ "gets" direct-to-DVD follow-on to show-with-cult-following
> (did I use enough punctuation in that line?). <<

Yes, and yes. :-)

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 18, 2009, 9:26:47 AM2/18/09
On Feb 18, 2:23 am, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:

> Daisy was recast?  Why not just switch her out with a new reaper, I wonder --
> they've done it before.

I would imagine the writers wanted to build on Daisy's relationships
with George and with Mason, and it would have hurt the story if they
had to lose the character. Also, much as I like Laura Harris, she's
a fairly generic elfin blonde, much easier to replace in a role than
Mandy, who is *so* specific. The voice, the mannerisms, the way he
physically inhabits a role make it much harder to "buy" another actor
in a part he's created. Sorta like somebody else we know and miss.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 18, 2009, 9:35:42 AM2/18/09
On Feb 18, 2:21 am, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:02:55 -0500, thus spake Joseph DeMartino
>
> >> This is the first and only post-series project, so
> > you only have one moe disc to buy.  <g> <<
>
> No, that's only if I'm completing a Three Stooges set... <g,d,r>

So you already have the Larry and Curly discs? (I think Shemp is in
the supplements and of course no true Stooge fan would bother with the
Curly Joe disc, the "Godfather III" of the Stooge world. <g>)

Later,

Joe

Amy Guskin

Feb 18, 2009, 9:42:09 AM2/18/09
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 09:35:42 -0500, thus spake Joseph DeMartino (in article
<447890f0-c957-4ac9...@r22g2000vbp.googlegroups.com>):

Just when I thought I was OUT...they pull me back IN, nyuck nyuck nyuck!

lizardgirl

Feb 18, 2009, 11:54:44 AM2/18/09
On Feb 17, 6:55 pm, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 5:31 pm, lizardgirl <gab...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > On Feb 17, 12:30 am, Ron <apart...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > LOL.  Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
> > > pas.
>
> > sure.  do you floss?
>
> > lg
>
> > Support Autism Research!
> > Visitwww.spicersevents.comformore information

> > & link to EvoCouture Event Registration.
>
> Friday's .. before 8pm.

ah, a strategist. ;^)

welcome aboard. everyone here is actually very tolerant of newbies,
not to mention way smart (frighteningly so at times.)

now that you know not to mess with 'the one rule' it's safe to answer
your door again.

lg

lizardgirl

Feb 18, 2009, 11:57:10 AM2/18/09

really? wow, that seems way soon. looks like friday is shaping up to
be quit the movie night.

lg

Amy Guskin

Feb 18, 2009, 1:02:29 PM2/18/09
>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:54:44 -0500, thus spake lizardgirl (in article
<7d680b78-4b65-4856...@p36g2000prp.googlegroups.com>):

There are more rules than just the one about not sending scripts to JMS's
e-mail address. The JMS email FAQ alone is more than a few rules. I don't
have a handy copy of the charter, or that registration document you agree to
when you join the newsgroup (Cheryl, if you send me these I could put them up
with the other newsgroup stuff), but you should definitely be aware that
there are other rules than just that one!

Ron

Feb 17, 2009, 11:33:50 PM2/17/09
On Feb 17, 8:39 pm, cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Ron  <apart...@gmail.com> said:
>
> >LOL.  Do you guys have anything else to talk about other than my faux
> >pas.
>
> Fasten or zip?
>
> Purple or green?
>
> Sorry, no more; I'm off to watch my new DVD "Dead Like Me: Life After
> Death".
> --
> Chris Adams <cmad...@hiwaay.net>

> Systems and Network Administrator - HiWAAY Internet Services
> I don't speak for anybody but myself - that's enough trouble.

> Fasten or zip?

A little of both.

> Purple or green?

Hmm. Gurple.

- Ron

lizardgirl

Feb 18, 2009, 3:29:21 PM2/18/09
On Feb 18, 11:02 am, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 11:54:44 -0500, thus spake lizardgirl (in article
>
> <7d680b78-4b65-4856-97ba-dc166e5b6...@p36g2000prp.googlegroups.com>):

> >> Friday's .. before 8pm.
>
> > ah, a strategist. ;^)
>
> > welcome aboard.  everyone here is actually very tolerant of newbies,
> > not to mention way smart (frighteningly so at times.)
>
> > now that you know not to mess with 'the one rule' it's safe to answer
> > your door again. <<
>
> There are more rules than just the one about not sending scripts to JMS's
> e-mail address.  The JMS email FAQ alone is more than a few rules.  I don't
> have a handy copy of the charter, or that registration document you agree to
> when you join the newsgroup (Cheryl, if you send me these I could put them up
> with the other newsgroup stuff), but you should definitely be aware that
> there are other rules than just that one!

not sure your exactly addressing me but.... i didn't mean 'the one
rule' to suggests "the one and only rule." i was using it as "the one
rule on which this group's moderation is predicate (predicated?)"

posting the charter and reg doc is propable a good idea. can't
honestly say i've read them (bet that's no big surprise :^)

lg

Christophe Bachmann

Feb 18, 2009, 4:08:54 PM2/18/09
David Williams a écrit :
And yes, some people, at least those using some screen readers have that
program yelling all-caps at them, if they don't spell them out, worse.
--
Greetings, Salutations,
Guiraud Belissen, Château du Ciel, Drachenwald,

Stefan

Feb 18, 2009, 6:17:00 PM2/18/09
On 18 Feb., 04:39, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 22:32:37 -0500, thus spake Laura Appelbaum (in article
> <pjLml.123$Ez6....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>):

[snip]

> > You aren't even willing to spend the time to read the FAQ on a freaking
> > *moderated* newsgroup;<<
>
> Just a quick comment here.  To be fair to Ron, one would have to, at this
> time, _ask_ where the FAQ is in order to read it.  A few months ago, AOL
> Hometown went away, and that's where the newsgroup information page (and thus
> the JMS Email FAQ) was.  I now have the pages housed on my fjordstone.com
> server, but 1) they aren't popping up nearly as visibly in Google yet as they
> were when they were on AOL Hometown, and 2) they need some updating.

These silly guys at AOL, didn't spread any warnings before the
hometown
shutdown. And so my tiny B5 related site (B5 Amazon DVD charts) all
of
a sudden went over the rim. No time left for a last backup.
Bad. Ugly.

> Anyway, if anyone wants to look at the information, it's here:
> http://fjordstone.com/rastb5mod/

Thanks for the memo.
Bookmarked.

> One thing that isn't updated is the list of moderators. I should be on it,
> now (and will eventually add myself), and don't think we see much of anyone
> else on that list besides Jay and Cheryl.

Any ideas, where the other mods are gone. Any contact left over?

Stefan

--
Lorien: "Only those whose lives are brief
can imagine that love is eternal."

Chris Adams

Feb 18, 2009, 8:04:12 PM2/18/09
Once upon a time, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> said:
>Daisy was recast? Why not just switch her out with a new reaper, I wonder --
>they've done it before.

They were already having to explain one missing reaper. Also, Daisy was
(intentionally) a pretty shallow character, so there wasn't a lot to
replace.

>And I'll miss Mandy Patinkin, but will be much
>consoled by the fact that Henry Ian Cusick is in it.

Yeah, I missed Rube, but he's moved on to other things.

Amy Guskin

Feb 18, 2009, 8:19:08 PM2/18/09
<b54a5656-0ca5-4d40...@i38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>):

>> <pjLml.123$Ez6....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>):
>
> [snip]
>>> You aren't even willing to spend the time to read the FAQ on a freaking
>>> *moderated* newsgroup;<<
>>
>> Just a quick comment here.  To be fair to Ron, one would have to, at this
>> time, _ask_ where the FAQ is in order to read it.  A few months ago, AOL
>> Hometown went away, and that's where the newsgroup information page (and
>> thus
>> the JMS Email FAQ) was.  I now have the pages housed on my fjordstone.com
>> server, but 1) they aren't popping up nearly as visibly in Google yet as
>> they
>> were when they were on AOL Hometown, and 2) they need some updating.
>
> These silly guys at AOL, didn't spread any warnings before the
> hometown
> shutdown. <<

Well, except for the big, loud warnings at the top of every Hometown page for
several months before it shut down... :-)

>> And so my tiny B5 related site (B5 Amazon DVD charts) all
> of
> a sudden went over the rim. No time left for a last backup.
> Bad. Ugly. <<

Seems odd that they wouldn't have sent out a notice to all AOLers,
but...well, I don't want to get into one of those flame wars with our AOL
friends here on the newsgroup, so I'll refrain from commenting. <g>

>> now (and will eventually add myself), and don't think we see much of anyone
>> else on that list besides Jay and Cheryl.
>
> Any ideas, where the other mods are gone. Any contact left over? <<

Hey, what do I know, I just work here.

Jan

Feb 18, 2009, 10:06:11 PM2/18/09
In article <0001HW.C5C21DBD...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
says...

>>> On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 18:17:00 -0500, thus spake Stefan (in article=20

><b54a5656-0ca5-4d40...@i38g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>):

>rticle
>>> <pjLml.123$Ez6....@nwrddc02.gnilink.net>):
>>=20
>> [snip]
>ng
>>>=20
>>> Just a quick comment here. =A0To be fair to Ron, one would have to, at=
> this
>>> time, _ask_ where the FAQ is in order to read it. =A0A few months ago,=
> AOL
>>> Hometown went away, and that's where the newsgroup information page (a=
>nd=20
>>> thus
>>> the JMS Email FAQ) was. =A0I now have the pages housed on my fjordston=
>e.com
>>> server, but 1) they aren't popping up nearly as visibly in Google yet =
>as=20

>>> they
>>> were when they were on AOL Hometown, and 2) they need some updating.
>>=20

>> These silly guys at AOL, didn't spread any warnings before the
>> hometown
>> shutdown. <<
>
>Well, except for the big, loud warnings at the top of every Hometown page=
> for=20

>several months before it shut down... :-)
>
>>> And so my tiny B5 related site (B5 Amazon DVD charts) all
>> of
>> a sudden went over the rim. No time left for a last backup.
>> Bad. Ugly. <<
>
>Seems odd that they wouldn't have sent out a notice to all AOLers,=20
>but...well, I don't want to get into one of those flame wars with our AOL=
>=20

>friends here on the newsgroup, so I'll refrain from commenting. <g>

I got at least one and more like three notices that it was shutting down.

Jan

--
Here, gathered together in common cause, we agree to recognize
this singular truth: that we are one; and this singular rule: that
we must be kind to one another.

Wes Struebing

Feb 18, 2009, 10:12:02 PM2/18/09
On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 07:21:16 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>>> On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 23:02:55 -0500, thus spake Joseph DeMartino (in article
><0908b05a-27f4-47e1...@t13g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>):
>
>> On Feb 17, 10:21 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What what what??  Is this _new_ "Dead Like Me"?  Is this the only
>>> post-series
>>> offering, or do I have more to buy?  Holy crap, more "Dead Like Me"...have I
>>> died and gone to heaven?
>>
>> Direct-to-DVD movie with pretty much everybody except Mandy Patinkin
>> and Laura Harris returning. (Rube has moved on and been replaced as
>> the Reaper's supervisor, Daisy is still around, but being played by a
>> new actress.) I knew it was in the works, but had no idea it had been
>> released already. <<
>
>I'm starting to have deja vu. I'm wondering if, in fact, _you_ already told
>me about it!
>
>>> This is the first and only post-series project, so
>> you only have one moe disc to buy. <g> <<
>
>No, that's only if I'm completing a Three Stooges set... <g,d,r>

Nyuk, Nyuk...!

Ron

Feb 18, 2009, 10:53:16 PM2/18/09

They've gone beyond the Rim ...

- Ron

Matt Ion

Feb 19, 2009, 9:31:29 AM2/19/09
I TOP-POST SOMETIMES MYSELF, IF I FEEL IT AIDS THE GENERAL FLOW OF
THINGS. AND SOMETIMES I DO IT JUST TO ANNOY AMY :) :) :) :)

Matt Ion

Feb 19, 2009, 9:34:34 AM2/19/09

Think of it as our "Prime Directive" :)

Matt Ion

Feb 19, 2009, 9:34:50 AM2/19/09
Chris Adams wrote:

> Sorry, no more; I'm off to watch my new DVD "Dead Like Me: Life After
> Death".

??!!?!

Vince M Hudd

Feb 19, 2009, 9:38:42 AM2/19/09
Matt Ion <soun...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I TOP-POST SOMETIMES MYSELF, IF I FEEL IT AIDS THE GENERAL FLOW OF THINGS.

*Glares angrily*

> AND SOMETIMES I DO IT JUST TO ANNOY AMY :) :) :) :)

Oh. That's okay then - what better reason could there possibly be? :)

--
Vince M Hudd
Soft Rock Software

Matt Ion

Feb 19, 2009, 9:50:34 AM2/19/09

They're pinin' for the fjords.

Amy Guskin

Feb 19, 2009, 11:06:11 AM2/19/09
<gnjqh0$bjb$1...@news.motzarella.org>):

> I TOP-POST SOMETIMES MYSELF, IF I FEEL IT AIDS THE GENERAL FLOW OF
> THINGS. AND SOMETIMES I DO IT JUST TO ANNOY AMY :) :) :) :) <<

Listen closely, Matt. Do you hear it? ;-)

Amy (has the NBS on speed-dial)

Chris Adams

Feb 19, 2009, 11:31:47 AM2/19/09

Are you boggling at the fact that there is a new direct-to-DVD "Dead
Like Me", or at the fact that I watched it? :-)

Joseph DeMartino

Feb 19, 2009, 12:10:15 PM2/19/09
On Feb 19, 9:34 am, Matt Ion <soundy...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Think of it as our "Prime Directive" :)- Hide quoted text -

A rule that we only mention when we're about to break it? <g>

Joe

Christophe Bachmann

Feb 19, 2009, 12:37:31 PM2/19/09
Stefan a écrit :

> These silly guys at AOL, didn't spread any warnings before the
> hometown
> shutdown. And so my tiny B5 related site (B5 Amazon DVD charts) all
> of
> a sudden went over the rim. No time left for a last backup.
> Bad. Ugly.

Had you not a filter to send that annoying junk AOL sends direct to
dev/null and thus not seen the news ?

Amy Guskin

Feb 19, 2009, 1:32:53 PM2/19/09
<97c2eddb-e14e-4dc2...@k19g2000yqg.googlegroups.com>):

> On Feb 19, 9:34 am, Matt Ion <soundy...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Think of it as our "Prime Directive" :)- Hide quoted text -
>
> A rule that we only mention when we're about to break it? <g> <<

Quick, look down: are you wearing a red shirt today? That could signify an
impending visit...

Amy Guskin

Feb 19, 2009, 1:34:13 PM2/19/09
article <499d98dc$0$17784$ba4a...@news.orange.fr>):

> Stefan a écrit :
>

>> These silly guys at AOL, didn't spread any warnings before the
>> hometown
>> shutdown. And so my tiny B5 related site (B5 Amazon DVD charts) all
>> of
>> a sudden went over the rim. No time left for a last backup.
>> Bad. Ugly.
>>
> Had you not a filter to send that annoying junk AOL sends direct to
> dev/null and thus not seen the news ? <<

Yeah, that was my guess, too.

Jan

Feb 19, 2009, 2:00:24 PM2/19/09
In article <0001HW.C5C31056...@news.verizon.net>, Amy Guskin
says...

>>> On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 12:37:31 -0500, thus spake Christophe Bachmann (in=
>=20
>article <499d98dc$0$17784$ba4a...@news.orange.fr>):
>
>> Stefan a =E9crit :
>>=20
>>>=20

>>> These silly guys at AOL, didn't spread any warnings before the
>>> hometown
>>> shutdown. And so my tiny B5 related site (B5 Amazon DVD charts) all
>>> of
>>> a sudden went over the rim. No time left for a last backup.
>>> Bad. Ugly.
>>>=20
>> Had you not a filter to send that annoying junk AOL sends direct to=20

>> dev/null and thus not seen the news ? <<
>
>Yeah, that was my guess, too.

Possible I suppose. Of course, I don't get any email from AOL except their
official emails that pertain to such things as changes in terms or features. I
opted out of ever other type of mailing with a simple setting.

Wes Struebing

Feb 19, 2009, 8:55:45 PM2/19/09
On Thu, 19 Feb 2009 06:34:34 -0800, Matt Ion <soun...@gmail.com>
wrote:

...and One Rule to Bind Them All"

Ron

Feb 20, 2009, 3:18:20 AM2/20/09
OH GOOD. I THOUGHT I WAS ALONE IN THE SCREAMING WORD GAME.

- Ron

> > - Ron.- Hide quoted text -

wrrlykam

Feb 20, 2009, 4:13:00 AM2/20/09

Stefan, Have you tried The Wayback Machine to see if they have any
copies of your site? Worth a try.

Dave

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php

Matt Ion

Feb 20, 2009, 11:05:32 AM2/20/09
Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Matt Ion <soun...@gmail.com> said:
>> Chris Adams wrote:
>>> Sorry, no more; I'm off to watch my new DVD "Dead Like Me: Life After
>>> Death".
>> ??!!?!
>
> Are you boggling at the fact that there is a new direct-to-DVD "Dead
> Like Me", or at the fact that I watched it? :-)

The fact that there's more DLM material I hadn't heard of... which I've
now been brought up to speed on through this thread. Must purchase this!

Donald Arseneau

Feb 21, 2009, 11:03:06 PM2/21/09
On Feb 17, 8:24 pm, cmad...@hiwaay.net (Chris Adams) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Amy Guskin <aisl...@fjordstone.com> said:
>
> >What what what?? Is this _new_ "Dead Like Me"? Is this the only post-series
> >offering, or do I have more to buy? Holy crap, more "Dead Like Me"...have I
> >died and gone to heaven?
>
> It is a direct-to-DVD movie, released today.

Oh intertesting! I was surprised it got cancelled in the first place,
but I don't follow the major demographics.

Was it filmed in Vancouver?

Donald Arseneau

Chris Adams

Feb 22, 2009, 7:44:31 PM2/22/09

It appears it was done in Montreal. The sets were all different; it is
set several years after the series.

Matt Ion

Feb 22, 2009, 8:58:49 PM2/22/09

It was indeed. They don't try very hard to disguise it, either - most
outdoor scenes, I could probably pinpoint for you on Google Earth :)

Matt Ion

Feb 22, 2009, 9:01:16 PM2/22/09

Oh, sorry... you mean the new release... no, that was shot in Montreal.
The series was all in Vancouver.

It is loading more messages.