Attn. JMS: Re. The Del Rey B5 trilogies, Galen in "The Passing of the Techno-mages" and Galen in "Crusade"

Mac Breck

Aug 13, 2009, 9:51:18 PM8/13/09
JMS,

In "The Passing of the Techno-Mages" (especially towards the end of Book
#3) Galen _appears_ _to_ _be_ more accomplished and more powerful than
he is in "Crusade." Did Jeanne Cavelos overstep what you intended as
Galen's and the other Techno-Mages' capabilities?

Did you have oversight of the writing of the three Del Rey B5 trilogies
as they were being written, and did you guide the authors when you
thought they might be going beyond what you wanted, in the interest of
the books remaining canon to the B5 universe?

Did you ever read the finished Del Rey B5 trilogies?

If I had to guess, I'd say that there is no real, significant
inconsistency between Galen in "The Passing of the Techno-Mages" and
Galen in "Crusade" , and that appearances can be deceiving. ;-)

p.s. I really hate the hyphenated spelling (Techno-Mage) and think it
looks much better (less clunky) as Technomage.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)
-------------------------------

Joseph Straczynski

Aug 14, 2009, 3:48:34 AM8/14/09
On Aug 13, 6:51 pm, "Mac Breck" <macthevor...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> JMS,
>
> In "The Passing of the Techno-Mages" (especially towards the end of Book
> #3) Galen _appears_ _to_ _be_ more accomplished and more powerful than
> he is in "Crusade."  Did Jeanne Cavelos overstep what you intended as
> Galen's and the other Techno-Mages' capabilities?
>
> Did you have oversight of the writing of the three Del Rey B5 trilogies
> as they were being written, and did you guide the authors when you
> thought they might be going beyond what you wanted, in the interest of
> the books remaining canon to the B5 universe?
>
> Did you ever read the finished Del Rey B5 trilogies?
>
> If I had to guess, I'd say that there is no real, significant
> inconsistency between Galen in "The Passing of the Techno-Mages" and
> Galen in "Crusade" , and that appearances can be deceiving.  ;-)
>
> p.s.  I really hate the hyphenated spelling (Techno-Mage) and think it
> looks much better (less clunky) as Technomage.

Will get to this when I can.

"No rush."

jms

Mac Breck

Aug 14, 2009, 10:26:12 AM8/14/09

Been reading my JMSNews or B5TV Bboard exchanges with Jan, eh?
"No rush." Argh!!! <rolleyes> A zinger from JMS. [somewhat joking] I'll
be over here in cryonic suspension. [/somewhat joking]

[Yes, I know that JMS is currently under the weather.]