JMS Murder She Wrote Scripts?

dac...@worldnet.att.net

Jul 18, 2006, 4:31:20 AM7/18/06
Happy Birthday Joe!
Looking forward to attending you panels at SDCC this week. I never miss

them.
By the way, any plans to publish your Murder She Wrote scripts in the
future?
Take care
Dave

jms...@aol.com

Jul 19, 2006, 5:37:41 AM7/19/06

If there's sufficient interest, yeah.

jms

www.declarationofprinciples.com

Craig

Jul 19, 2006, 3:12:46 PM7/19/06
On 18 Jul 2006 01:31:20 -0700, dac...@worldnet.att.net wrote:

>Happy Birthday Joe!
>Looking forward to attending you panels at SDCC this week. I never miss

Please, please please post a transcript...a summary....at least what
THE ANNOUNCEMENT is. Please.

Craig

Amy Guskin

Jul 19, 2006, 4:24:33 PM7/19/06
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:12:46 -0400, Craig wrote
(in article <hv0tb29866vtj7js9...@4ax.com>):

You must not hang around here much. Of _course_ someone's going to post what
the announcement is, probably really soon after it's announced, even.

Amy

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 19, 2006, 4:43:12 PM7/19/06
Amy Guskin wrote:

> You must not hang around here much. Of _course_ someone's going to post what
> the announcement is, probably really soon after it's announced, even.

Please, somebody will probably be live blogging the talk in realtime
from their Crackberry. <g>

Regards,

Joe

Amy Guskin

Jul 19, 2006, 5:25:42 PM7/19/06
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 16:43:12 -0400, Joseph DeMartino wrote
(in article <1153341792....@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>):

Yeah, I thought as much myself, but didn't want to suggest it. I figured I'd
say it was going to happen, and then the person with said Crackberry would go
and have technical problems or something and make a liar out of me...

Amy

Jan

Jul 19, 2006, 6:33:13 PM7/19/06
In article <hv0tb29866vtj7js9...@4ax.com>, Craig says...

Looks like there's more than one of us here so I'm sure the news will be posted
soonest. JMS's spotlight panel is on Saturday afternoon (5-6 PM Pacific) and
I'd expect that that's where/when the announcement will be made. But just in
case, I'll make the sacrifice of attending all of his panels. <g>

Jan

--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.

Wesley Struebing

Jul 19, 2006, 7:15:11 PM7/19/06
On 19 Jul 2006 13:43:12 -0700, "Joseph DeMartino"
<jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Would that be you, Joe? <grin>

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 19, 2006, 8:37:05 PM7/19/06
Wesley Struebing wrote:

> Would that be you, Joe? <grin>

Sadly, no. I have neither the time nor the money for a trip to Sand
Diego - or a Crackberry, for that matter. <g> So I'll be depending
on Jan and others for the news.

Regards,

Joe

Iva

Jul 19, 2006, 10:08:11 PM7/19/06

"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message

> In article <hv0tb29866vtj7js9...@4ax.com>, Craig says...
>>
>>On 18 Jul 2006 01:31:20 -0700, dac...@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>>
>>>Happy Birthday Joe!
>>>Looking forward to attending you panels at SDCC this week. I never miss
>>>
>>Please, please please post a transcript...a summary....at least what
>>THE ANNOUNCEMENT is. Please.
>>
>>Craig
>

> Looks like there's more than one of us here so I'm sure the news will be
> posted
> soonest. JMS's spotlight panel is on Saturday afternoon (5-6 PM Pacific)
> and
> I'd expect that that's where/when the announcement will be made. But just
> in
> case, I'll make the sacrifice of attending all of his panels. <g>

It's a tough job, but someone's got to do it! <g>

-----
Iva

The Nuclear Marine

Jul 20, 2006, 12:17:37 AM7/20/06
jms...@aol.com wrote in news:1153301861.254883.193070
@b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

> jms
>
> www.declarationofprinciples.com

Well, it piqued my wife's interest. I'm not much of the collectable
collector.

I'm waiting for G'kar's revised draft to be released. Or is that one of
those artistic "left to the imagination" type thing?

Nuke (proud owner of a SDCC G'Kar hand fan, which considering this heatwave
may see a little use this week-end)

--
There comes a time in every man's life when he must die - Charles Applin

I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not about
to let no woman control nothing, especially her own body. On the other
hand, I really hate babies.

Amy Guskin

Jul 20, 2006, 8:22:18 AM7/20/06
(in article <Xns9805D89CB6...@70.169.32.36>):

> jms...@aol.com wrote in news:1153301861.254883.193070
> @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
>

>> jms
>>
>> www.declarationofprinciples.com
>>

> Well, it piqued my wife's interest. I'm not much of the collectable
> collector.
>
> I'm waiting for G'kar's revised draft to be released. Or is that one of
> those artistic "left to the imagination" type thing?
>
> Nuke (proud owner of a SDCC G'Kar hand fan, which considering this heatwave
> may see a little use this week-end) <<

Nuke, did they give those out this year? Was it a memorial tribute of some
kind?

What does it say?

Amy

Jay Denebeim

Jul 20, 2006, 9:44:03 AM7/20/06
In article <0001HW.C0E40E0D...@news.verizon.net>,
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:

>You must not hang around here much. Of _course_ someone's going to post what
>the announcement is, probably really soon after it's announced, even.

Might be several laptops in the audience actually.

Jay

--
* Jay Denebeim Moderator rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated *
* newsgroup submission address: b5...@deepthot.org *

Thunder 06

Jul 20, 2006, 12:31:51 PM7/20/06
Uh oh... you mentioned a G'kar item in a place where Amy could read it. ;)

t.k.

Wesley Struebing

Jul 20, 2006, 7:09:16 PM7/20/06
On 19 Jul 2006 17:37:05 -0700, "Joseph DeMartino"
<jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Here, come sit down. I'm reserving seats in the front row for Jan's
return...

Roseann

Jul 20, 2006, 9:17:46 PM7/20/06
Oh my! One of my clients referred to his as that and I feel out laughing.
He freely admits that he was doing business fine without one, but since he's
gotten one, doesn't know how he did without it. I love that term for them.

--
Roseann
In brightest day, in blackest night
"Joseph DeMartino" <jdem...@bellsouth.net> wrote in message

Roseann

Jul 20, 2006, 9:33:02 PM7/20/06
[waves hand over head]

Interest right here! Particularly if you do them in the same fashion as you
did the B5 ones.

Ohhh, I would love to have, mmmmm, let me think, "Incident in Lot 7"?
That's the one in the Psycho House, yes? I love that one.

--
Roseann
In brightest day, in blackest night
No evil shall escape my site.
For those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power - Green Lantern's Light!

<jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

dac...@worldnet.att.net

Jul 20, 2006, 11:40:03 PM7/20/06

Roseann wrote:
> [waves hand over head]
>
> Interest right here! Particularly if you do them in the same fashion as you
> did the B5 ones.
>
> Ohhh, I would love to have, mmmmm, let me think, "Incident in Lot 7"?
> That's the one in the Psycho House, yes? I love that one.
>

> --
> Roseann

Definite interest here as well. I would love to have them all collected
in the same fashion as well. Anybody else?
Pleeeaase!
; )
Dave

Jan

Jul 21, 2006, 12:41:32 AM7/21/06
In article <v730c2lale6ajnl31...@4ax.com>, Wesley Struebing
says...

No pressure, huh? <g>

I went to the Marvel 'Civil War' panel today. JMS was there but so were *lots*
of other panelists. He did respond to questions but nothing was said that was
non-comic related.

Jan

Jul 21, 2006, 12:46:25 AM7/21/06
In article <1153453203.0...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
dac...@worldnet.att.net says...

Oh, okay...I mean everybody here *knows* I haven't the slightest interest in
scripts but...for the good of the group, sure bring 'em on.

(Yes, please! Pretty please? With sugar?)

Jan
>Pleeeaase!
>; )
>Dave

The Nuclear Marine

Jul 21, 2006, 12:57:21 AM7/21/06
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in

>>> On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 00:17:37 -0400, The Nuclear Marine wrote
> (in article <Xns9805D89CB6...@70.169.32.36>):
>

>> Nuke (proud owner of a SDCC G'Kar hand fan, which considering this
>> heatwave may see a little use this week-end) <<
>
> Nuke, did they give those out this year? Was it a memorial tribute of
> some kind?
>
> What does it say?

It's an advertisement for the internet broadcasting of various shows by
Warner Brothers on in2tv.com, which also works as a nice handfan. There's a
similar one for Wonder Woman's Linda Carter.

Looks like a G'Kar from the second season. Don't ask me why I say that, it
just feels like it.

Nuke

Jan

Jul 21, 2006, 1:13:03 AM7/21/06
In article <Xns9806DF598...@70.169.32.36>, The Nuclear Marine says...

>Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in

>> (in article <Xns9805D89CB6...@70.169.32.36>):
>>
>>> Nuke (proud owner of a SDCC G'Kar hand fan, which considering this
>>> heatwave may see a little use this week-end) <<
>>
>> Nuke, did they give those out this year? Was it a memorial tribute of
>> some kind?
>>
>> What does it say?
>>

>It's an advertisement for the internet broadcasting of various shows by
>Warner Brothers on in2tv.com, which also works as a nice handfan. There's a
>similar one for Wonder Woman's Linda Carter.
>
>Looks like a G'Kar from the second season. Don't ask me why I say that, it
>just feels like it.
>
>Nuke

Where'd you get it, Nuke? I didn't see them on the freebie tables.

Jan

Amy Guskin

Jul 21, 2006, 9:11:13 AM7/21/06
>> On Fri, 21 Jul 2006 00:57:21 -0400, The Nuclear Marine wrote
(in article <Xns9806DF598...@70.169.32.36>):

> Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in

>> (in article <Xns9805D89CB6...@70.169.32.36>):
>>
>>> Nuke (proud owner of a SDCC G'Kar hand fan, which considering this
>>> heatwave may see a little use this week-end) <<
>>
>> Nuke, did they give those out this year? Was it a memorial tribute of
>> some kind?
>>
>> What does it say?
>>

> It's an advertisement for the internet broadcasting of various shows by
> Warner Brothers on in2tv.com, which also works as a nice handfan. There's a
> similar one for Wonder Woman's Linda Carter.
>
> Looks like a G'Kar from the second season. Don't ask me why I say that, it
> just feels like it. <<

Thanks. And, where can Jan pick one of those up for me...? She hasn't seen
them yet.

Amy

Craig Riekena

Jul 20, 2006, 12:58:19 PM7/20/06
On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 20:24:33 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>You must not hang around here much.

Only since about '95.

>Of _course_ someone's going to post what
>the announcement is, probably really soon after it's announced, even.

I do QA..it's not in my nature to assume ;-).

Jan has posted the appromimate time below ...guess I'm an American so
it's not in my nature to be real patient!

Jay has implied that dictation/notation will take place so I'm feeling
good...I can't make the trip but always love the detailed, and the
more detaied the better, accounts.

Pictures are a bonus too.

Craig

Amy Guskin

Jul 21, 2006, 9:11:51 AM7/21/06
(in article <e9pno...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> In article <Xns9806DF598...@70.169.32.36>, The Nuclear Marine
> says...
>>
>> Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in

>>> (in article <Xns9805D89CB6...@70.169.32.36>):

>>> Nuke, did they give those out this year? Was it a memorial tribute of
>>> some kind?
>>>
>>> What does it say?
>>>

>> It's an advertisement for the internet broadcasting of various shows by
>> Warner Brothers on in2tv.com, which also works as a nice handfan. There's a
>> similar one for Wonder Woman's Linda Carter.
>>
>> Looks like a G'Kar from the second season. Don't ask me why I say that, it
>> just feels like it.
>>
>> Nuke
>

> Where'd you get it, Nuke? I didn't see them on the freebie tables. <<

Way ahead of me, as always. :-)

Amy

Roseann

Jul 21, 2006, 6:30:20 PM7/21/06
Thanks for the extra help. :-)

And since you said pretty please with sugar....

[hands jan a bowl with large variety of chocolate items]

Care for some chocolate?

--
Roseann
In brightest day, in blackest night
No evil shall escape my site.
For those who worship evil's might,
Beware my power - Green Lantern's Light!

"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Jan

Jul 21, 2006, 9:31:06 PM7/21/06
In article <0Acwg.1338$qZ2.444@trndny01>, Roseann says...

>Thanks for the extra help. :-)
>
>And since you said pretty please with sugar....
>
>[hands jan a bowl with large variety of chocolate items]
>
>Care for some chocolate?

Oooh, dark chocolate, thanks! You sure know my price (one of them, at least).

Mmmm...

Jan

The Nuclear Marine

Jul 22, 2006, 1:10:07 AM7/22/06
Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in

They were at the freebie table the first day. I got two (one for my wife
and me), and feel silly for not grabbing a bit more.

Not much from Comic-Con, just a word or two with jms (literally), sponge-
bob (Tom Kenny), Yakko Warner (Rob Paulson), fellow that did a CGI
Optimus Prime and Gene Roddenberry's son. Well, that and some nice panels
(Heroes, Battlestar Galactica, Boonedocks, and Dark Crystal).

I still enjoy walking the floor and viewing every booth. One booth had a
gentlemen that helped on the special effects of B5's first season, and
another had a lady with an insidious sales tactics. She showed naked
photos of herself and asked you to buy her calender. I kept my sixty
dollars thank you very much.

Wendy of NJ

Jul 22, 2006, 1:44:11 PM7/22/06

Was it Angelique Pettijohn? ("I am your drill thrall") - she was doing
something like that at LAConII in 1984, and also asking everyone to
sign a petition for Paramount to make "Star Trek: Revenge of Shana".

-Wendy

Dan Dassow

Jul 22, 2006, 2:45:37 PM7/22/06

Wendy,

Unfortunately, according to the IMDB
(http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0678821/)Angelique Pettijohn died February
14, 1992. It had to be someone else.

Dan Dassow

Matt Ion

Jul 22, 2006, 2:55:27 PM7/22/06
Amy Guskin wrote:
>>>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:12:46 -0400, Craig wrote
>
> (in article <hv0tb29866vtj7js9...@4ax.com>):

>>On 18 Jul 2006 01:31:20 -0700, dac...@worldnet.att.net wrote:
>>

>>>Happy Birthday Joe!
>>>Looking forward to attending you panels at SDCC this week. I never miss
>>>

>>Please, please please post a transcript...a summary....at least what
>>THE ANNOUNCEMENT is. Please. <<
>

> You must not hang around here much. Of _course_ someone's going to post what
> the announcement is, probably really soon after it's announced, even.

I'd be shocked if someone isn't sitting there with a laptop posting it
as it happens... gotta love modern technology.

Jan

Jul 22, 2006, 10:39:01 PM7/22/06
Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't up yet.

Here’s the news in the order JMS gave it at the panel. I’m posting it pretty
much simultaneously to the moderated newsgroup and to JMSNews.

--JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. It’s a thriller/mystery movie set in the ‘20s
in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible and JMS
is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go over
the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be. It’s going to be a
big budget film. Ron Howard is a nice guy. The first time JMS had a phone
conference with him about the script, JMS called him Mr. Howard and the reply
was “You hired my dad on Babylon 5, you can call me whatever you want.”
Possibly it could be in production by the first part of next year.

--JMS was up in Toronto recently and they did a 12 episode radio drama series
for the CBC called the Adventures of Apocalypse Al. It’s kind of a film noir
style comedy drama science fiction supernatural series a la Men In Black or
Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It’s in little 5 minute chunks and it’s
fall-down funny.

--A pilot for Touchstone has started for a dramatic prime time network series
called Borrowed Lives. It was actually sold last year but it was too late to go
into development but now they’re actually in the script stage.

--Rising Stars is in development with Sam Raimi’s production company for a
series.

--Midnight Nation is being bid on by two different studios for a movie.

--He pitched Dream Police to a major studio, they want to do a motion picture
and they’re negotiating now for JMS to write it.

--And there’s something else…WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to
do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS
declined mainly because he can’t yet picture structuring a B5 movie “…as long as
Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.” Maybe in a year or two he’ll be able
to but right now he can’t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of
short films—little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe.
They said, “Okay.” There’s a network already interested in carrying them but
they’re also planned for direct to DVD. This will be “Babylon 5 – The Lost
Tales’, a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that he’s
rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative
support – in writing. They said, “Okay.” And JMS wants to direct them. They
said, “Okay.” The first will be three individual stories about three of the
main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September,
post-production Oct.-Dec. and they’ll probably come out the second quarter of
2007.

I’ll attempt more of a transcript later on but that’s the highlights.

Jan
Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 22, 2006, 10:47:05 PM7/22/06
Jan wrote:
> Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't up yet.

Cool news. Thanks Jan.

Joe

Amy Guskin

Jul 22, 2006, 11:34:24 PM7/22/06
I can't tell you how delighted I am! Both for JMS as an all-around good guy
(and it's always nice when someone you like gets good news or has some
significant success), but also because I'm extremely delighted, always, to
see talented rewarded. And very pleased to know that Hollywood still
sometimes appreciates good writing.

Thanks for the news, Jan!

Amy

Robert Bernardo

Jul 23, 2006, 12:20:15 AM7/23/06
All of this is really great news!

Truly,
Robert Bernardo

Matt Ion

Jul 23, 2006, 12:28:14 AM7/23/06
Jan wrote:
> Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't up yet.

Weeeelllll.... okay, I guess we'll allow it... THIS time...

> --JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. It’s a thriller/mystery movie set in the ‘20s
> in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible and JMS
> is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go over
> the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be. It’s going to be a
> big budget film. Ron Howard is a nice guy. The first time JMS had a phone
> conference with him about the script, JMS called him Mr. Howard and the reply
> was “You hired my dad on Babylon 5, you can call me whatever you want.”
> Possibly it could be in production by the first part of next year.

Opie is DA MAN :)

> --And there’s something else…WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to
> do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS
> declined mainly because he can’t yet picture structuring a B5 movie “…as long as
> Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.” Maybe in a year or two he’ll be able
> to but right now he can’t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of
> short films—little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe.
> They said, “Okay.” There’s a network already interested in carrying them but
> they’re also planned for direct to DVD. This will be “Babylon 5 – The Lost
> Tales’, a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that he’s
> rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative
> support – in writing. They said, “Okay.” And JMS wants to direct them. They
> said, “Okay.” The first will be three individual stories about three of the
> main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September,
> post-production Oct.-Dec. and they’ll probably come out the second quarter of
> 2007.

That shudder you all just felt wasn't an earthquake... that was my jaw impacting
the floor...

shawn

Jul 23, 2006, 2:22:09 AM7/23/06
On 22 Jul 2006 19:39:01 -0700, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't up yet.
>
>Here’s the news in the order JMS gave it at the panel. I’m posting it pretty
>much simultaneously to the moderated newsgroup and to JMSNews.
>
>--JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. It’s a thriller/mystery movie set in the ‘20s
>in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible and JMS
>is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go over
>the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be.

Very cool. I wondered about Ron Howard doing the work but it sounds
like that is a done deal. This is great news for JMS.

>--JMS was up in Toronto recently and they did a 12 episode radio drama series
>for the CBC called the Adventures of Apocalypse Al. It’s kind of a film noir
>style comedy drama science fiction supernatural series a la Men In Black or
>Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy. It’s in little 5 minute chunks and it’s
>fall-down funny.

Too bad we probably won't get to hear it in the states. :(

>--A pilot for Touchstone has started for a dramatic prime time network series
>called Borrowed Lives. It was actually sold last year but it was too late to go
>into development but now they’re actually in the script stage.

Interesting. Would like to know more about the concept, but JMS tends
to do good work so it should turn out well.

>--Rising Stars is in development with Sam Raimi’s production company for a
>series.

Even more interesting. So it looks like we could have a new JMS series
and a feature film in 2008. That would be an overload. :)

>--Midnight Nation is being bid on by two different studios for a movie.

Wow.. They must be very interested for two studios to put up bids.

>--He pitched Dream Police to a major studio, they want to do a motion picture
>and they’re negotiating now for JMS to write it.

Wow.. How is it that all of this seems to be hitting at once? It's not
JMS suddenly gained some amazing talent but it seems like they all
just noticed he does some great work at once. Maybe it's that
Hollywood studio logic of "JMS has a movie picked up and may (now
will) be working with Ron Howard on it so we need him to do something
for us,NOW!"

>--And there’s something else…WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to
>do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS
>declined mainly because he can’t yet picture structuring a B5 movie “…as long as
>Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.” Maybe in a year or two he’ll be able
>to but right now he can’t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of
>short films—little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe.
>They said, “Okay.” There’s a network already interested in carrying them but
>they’re also planned for direct to DVD. This will be “Babylon 5 – The Lost
>Tales’, a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that he’s
>rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative
>support – in writing. They said, “Okay.” And JMS wants to direct them. They
>said, “Okay.” The first will be three individual stories about three of the
>main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September,
>post-production Oct.-Dec. and they’ll probably come out the second quarter of
>2007.

Even Better news! Excellent. I can see why JMS isn't ready to tackle
major Babylon 5 work, and while I'm sad that we won't see it any time
soon, I am VERY HAPPY we will be getting some new B5 work. Any work is
better than none.

>I’ll attempt more of a transcript later on but that’s the highlights.

thanks for the update and "Woo Hoo!!!!" indeed!

shawn

Jul 23, 2006, 2:23:24 AM7/23/06
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 03:34:24 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>I can't tell you how delighted I am! Both for JMS as an all-around good guy

I find it amazing how much Hollywood seems to actively dislike good
writing. It is amazing when you find the good stuff and I'm very
pleased they will be using more of JMS's work.

Greg Bryant

Jul 23, 2006, 12:02:22 AM7/23/06
All of these are GREAT news!

On 7/22/06 10:39 PM, "Jan" wrote:

> Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't up
> yet.
>
> Here¹s the news in the order JMS gave it at the panel. I¹m posting it pretty
> much simultaneously to the moderated newsgroup and to JMSNews.
>
> --JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. It¹s a thriller/mystery movie set in the

> ~L20s

> in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible and
> JMS
> is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go
> over
> the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be. It¹s going to be
> big budget film. Ron Howard is a nice guy. The first time JMS had a phone
> conference with him about the script, JMS called him Mr. Howard and the reply
> was ³You hired my dad on Babylon 5, you can call me whatever you want.²
> Possibly it could be in production by the first part of next year.
>
> --JMS was up in Toronto recently and they did a 12 episode radio drama series
> for the CBC called the Adventures of Apocalypse Al. It¹s kind of a film noir
> style comedy drama science fiction supernatural series a la Men In Black or
> Hitchhiker¹s Guide to the Galaxy. It¹s in little 5 minute chunks and it¹s
> fall-down funny.
>
> --A pilot for Touchstone has started for a dramatic prime time network series
> called Borrowed Lives. It was actually sold last year but it was too late to
> go
> into development but now they¹re actually in the script stage.
>
> --Rising Stars is in development with Sam Raimi¹s production company for a
> series.
>
> --Midnight Nation is being bid on by two different studios for a movie.
>
> --He pitched Dream Police to a major studio, they want to do a motion picture
> and they¹re negotiating now for JMS to write it.
>

> --And there¹s something else~JWB came to him as they do periodically wanting to

> do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS

> declined mainly because he can¹t yet picture structuring a B5 movie ³~Jas long

> as
> Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.² Maybe in a year or two he¹ll be
> able
> to but right now he can¹t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of

> short films~Klittle mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5

Ranger Elenopa

Jul 23, 2006, 7:06:38 AM7/23/06
Gosh!

I'm still trying to get my head around everything that was announced.
If it all happens, I am going to be busy trying to follow everything.

The B5 thing looks interesting. 'Lost Tales'; oh the possibilities.

Congrats Joe!

Ranger Elenopa

Mark Alexander Bertenshaw

Jul 23, 2006, 7:58:22 AM7/23/06

> Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't
up yet.

> --And there’s something else…WB came to him as they do periodically

Excellent news! I've been waiting for something along those lines for ages.
The really big gaps that need to be plugged are: What happened to Vir, what
happened to Lyta, and what happened to Lennier. I know that the former was
covered by the CP trilogy, but it would be great if we could go straight to
the end of that story, with the audience being given the backstory in
pieces. We would start with David's birthday and end just after the War
Without End flashback, with Vir saving the day. This was is important to me
because we never got the feeling in Sleeping in Light that Vir was anything
more than a buffoon, when in fact the CP trilogy told us that he was now an
ultra-competent leader.

The only problem, of course, is with Andreas Katsulas no longer with us, we
wouldn't be able to add extra footage showing him coming to Centauri Prime.
Then again, if the story is told in the same way that War Without End added
to Babylon Squared, telling the other side of the story, we could leave
G'Kar and Londo's story as a bubble around which the other story surrounds.

--
Mark Bertenshaw
Kingston upon Thames

Dennis (Icarus)

Jul 23, 2006, 8:43:15 AM7/23/06
"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message
<snippage of all sorts of good news>
> Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

tera-dittos! Woo-hoo indeed!
Cograts to JMS!
Thanks for posting this, Jan.

Dennis

.

Amy Guskin

Jul 23, 2006, 9:40:57 AM7/23/06
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:58:22 -0400, Mark Alexander Bertenshaw wrote
(in article <44c36439$0$3516$ed26...@ptn-nntp-reader01.plus.net>):

I think it's a little soon for JMS to be writing something that requires him
to work around Andreas's death - or Rick's, which I think was the point of
that comment Jan referenced.

I'm as happy as anyone else that we're going to get more B5, but I'm also
more than a little sad that it took WB this long to realize the value of
original cast B5 -- the audience it draws, the money it brings in. Just long
enough for Andreas not to be able to participate in it.

I'm sure I'll love the new stories, but it'll be hard not to notice the
glaring absences...

Amy

Christina Wilson

Jul 23, 2006, 9:43:54 AM7/23/06
Dennis (Icarus) wrote:
> "Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message
> <snippage of all sorts of good news>
>> Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When it rains it pours! Wow.

And the B5 news...:) What good news to wake up to.

Does that include Crusade stories?

Christina

(I'm starting another fund to buy those DVDs).

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 23, 2006, 9:52:25 AM7/23/06
Christina Wilson wrote:

> Does that include Crusade stories?

It may be a bit early to consider those, but depending on how the
initial batch does on air and on DVD, I would imagine anything is
possible.

Regards,

Joe

krueg...@hotmail.com

Jul 23, 2006, 10:00:54 AM7/23/06

Amy Guskin wrote:
> I'm as happy as anyone else that we're going to get more B5, but I'm also
> more than a little sad that it took WB this long to realize the value of
> original cast B5 -- the audience it draws, the money it brings in. Just long
> enough for Andreas not to be able to participate in it.
>
> I'm sure I'll love the new stories, but it'll be hard not to notice the
> glaring absences...

It is frustrating to think about what might have been. I wonder what
makes them interested in a new B5 project right now?

Jan

Jul 23, 2006, 10:24:02 AM7/23/06
In article <1153663254.6...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
krueg...@hotmail.com says...

Half a billion dollars in DVD sales, I gather.

Jan

krueg...@hotmail.com

Jul 23, 2006, 10:34:18 AM7/23/06

Jan wrote:
> >It is frustrating to think about what might have been. I wonder what
> >makes them interested in a new B5 project right now?
> >

> Half a billion dollars in DVD sales, I gather.

LOL. Yes, I can see how that might turn some heads. :)

But didn't they know years ago that the B5 DVDs were selling amazingly
well?

It's not like they just woke up this year and said "let's go see how
much those B5 DVD sales are earning us", right?

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 23, 2006, 10:36:43 AM7/23/06
Jan wrote:

> Half a billion dollars in DVD sales, I gather.

I think that and - I'm speculating here - the soon-to-be-launched CW
network, bastard child of The WB and UPN> (Excuse me, my irony meter
just exploded. <g>) I have a feeling someone over there might have
been smart enough to see the potential in "B5" - and in the only
writer-producer in the history of the medium who was consistently able
to bring a space-based SF show in on time and on budget for 1/2 to 1/3
of what competing shows cost. But that's just a guess.

Regards,

Joe

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 23, 2006, 10:50:23 AM7/23/06
krueger...@hotmail.com wrote:

> But didn't they know years ago that the B5 DVDs were selling amazingly
> well?

They knew the raw sales were good fairly early, but with returns,
defectives, etc. it can actually take months to tabulate hard sales
numbers. So there's always a lag and some uncertainty.

> It's not like they just woke up this year and said "let's go see how
> much those B5 DVD sales are earning us", right?

Another thing worth looking at in a case like this is *ongoing* sales.
Most DVDs sell something like 70% or 80% of the total number they're
ever going to sell in the first couple of weeks of release. That's one
reason the studios double-and-triple dip even with classic films - if a
title isn't on the new release shelf, it gets ignored. So they do a
"special edition" a "really special edition" and a "director's top
secret renegade version" adding extras each time (but not always the
same extras) to revive flagging catalog titles. Some discs do manage
to keep up a steady trickle of sales year in and year out, but you have
to *wait* years before this becomes apparent. I suspect the "B5" sets
are still managing to sell (even though some retailers have returned
them to the original MSRP of around $90) and this indicates that new
fans are still finding the show even though it currently isn't on the
air.

If they're smart WB will do an across the board price cut on the "B5"
sets the way they did last year with the early seasons "Samllville",
"Gilmore Girls" and other series and use those as loss leaders to hook
additional fans in the run-up to the new material. (I'm sure they're
also lobbying to sell the reruns to whoever is buying the new movies -
the cable network itself, if that's who it is, or the network-owned and
affiliated stations for off-network airings if it is a broadcast
network.) Arc shows are a tough sell in syndication because they burn
out quickly, but they can do well initially. We'll have to see.

Regards,

Joe

shawn

Jul 23, 2006, 10:52:57 AM7/23/06

My guess is that there has been a change in the people in charge. So
with new people there is a willingness to look at anything that brings
in money. Plus it can't hurt that the news about JMS's script being
picked up made the trade press and they may have known about some of
the other projects so they figure they should get in good with JMS
while they have the chance.

Amy Guskin

Jul 23, 2006, 10:55:07 AM7/23/06
>>On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:36:43 -0400, Joseph DeMartino wrote
(in article <1153665403.4...@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>):

I figured it was all of this, plus whatever record-breaking figures they're
getting in AOL downloads. It certainly can't just be the sales figures for
the DVDs, because as Barbara pointed out, they've had that information for
some years now.

Amy

Rob Perkins

Jul 23, 2006, 11:14:54 AM7/23/06
krueg...@hotmail.com wrote:

> It's not like they just woke up this year and said "let's go see how
> much those B5 DVD sales are earning us", right?

That's probably more or less what happened.

Rob

Kurt Ullman

Jul 23, 2006, 11:23:39 AM7/23/06
In article <g637c2hh58h9ad6md...@4ax.com>,
shawn <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote:

Even though correlation does not mean causation, it doesn't seem to
be that much of stretch to suggest that perhaps Ron Howard deciding JMS
s stuff was good enough to be interesting might have awaken someone at
WB.

Iva

Jul 23, 2006, 1:05:16 PM7/23/06
Jan wrote:
> Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't
> up yet.
>
> Here's the news in the order JMS gave it at the panel. I'm posting it
> pretty
> much simultaneously to the moderated newsgroup and to JMSNews.
>
> --JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. It's a thriller/mystery movie set in
> the '20s
> in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible
> and JMS
> is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go
> over
> the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be. It's going
> to be a
> big budget film. Ron Howard is a nice guy. The first time JMS had a
> phone
> conference with him about the script, JMS called him Mr. Howard and the
> reply
> was "You hired my dad on Babylon 5, you can call me whatever you want."
> Possibly it could be in production by the first part of next year.

Woo-hoo!

> --JMS was up in Toronto recently and they did a 12 episode radio drama
> series
> for the CBC called the Adventures of Apocalypse Al. It's kind of a film
> noir
> style comedy drama science fiction supernatural series a la Men In Black
> or
> Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. It's in little 5 minute chunks and it's
> fall-down funny.

Any way to hear this on US radio?

> --A pilot for Touchstone has started for a dramatic prime time network
> series
> called Borrowed Lives. It was actually sold last year but it was too late
> to go
> into development but now they're actually in the script stage.

Ooooooo, cool.

> --Rising Stars is in development with Sam Raimi's production company for a
> series.

Yes!

> --Midnight Nation is being bid on by two different studios for a movie.

Wow! Great news there.

> --He pitched Dream Police to a major studio, they want to do a motion
> picture
> and they're negotiating now for JMS to write it.

Now *that's* something I'd go to see since I enjoyed the comic so much.

> --And there's something else.WB came to him as they do periodically

> wanting to
> do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but
> JMS

> declined mainly because he can't yet picture structuring a B5 movie ".as

> long as
> Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead." Maybe in a year or two he'll be
> able
> to but right now he can't do something big. What JMS suggested was a
> bunch of

> short films-little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5

> universe.
> They said, "Okay." There's a network already interested in carrying them
> but

> they're also planned for direct to DVD. This will be "Babylon 5 - The

> Lost
> Tales', a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that
> he's
> rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative

> support - in writing. They said, "Okay." And JMS wants to direct them.

> They
> said, "Okay." The first will be three individual stories about three of
> the
> main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September,
> post-production Oct.-Dec. and they'll probably come out the second quarter
> of
> 2007.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

> I'll attempt more of a transcript later on but that's the highlights.
>
> Jan
> Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow! Great news indeed! Thanks, Jan.
-----
Iva

Matt Ion

Jul 23, 2006, 1:35:42 PM7/23/06
Joseph DeMartino wrote:

> Another thing worth looking at in a case like this is *ongoing* sales.
> Most DVDs sell something like 70% or 80% of the total number they're
> ever going to sell in the first couple of weeks of release. That's one
> reason the studios double-and-triple dip even with classic films - if a
> title isn't on the new release shelf, it gets ignored. So they do a
> "special edition" a "really special edition" and a "director's top
> secret renegade version" adding extras each time (but not always the
> same extras) to revive flagging catalog titles.

Or they go the opposite direction, as with the original Star Wars trilogy...

Wesley Struebing

Jul 23, 2006, 1:50:13 PM7/23/06
On 22 Jul 2006 19:39:01 -0700, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't up yet.
>
>Here’s the news in the order JMS gave it at the panel. I’m posting it pretty
>much simultaneously to the moderated newsgroup and to JMSNews.

<lots news snipped>

>I’ll attempt more of a transcript later on but that’s the highlights.
>
>Jan
>Woo-Hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And what's Joe gonna do in his spare time, then?

<evil grin>

I'll see your Woo-Hoo and raise you a YEWBECHA!

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Wesley Struebing

Jul 23, 2006, 1:55:36 PM7/23/06
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 13:40:57 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

<snip>

>> The only problem, of course, is with Andreas Katsulas no longer with us, we
>> wouldn't be able to add extra footage showing him coming to Centauri Prime.
>> Then again, if the story is told in the same way that War Without End added
>> to Babylon Squared, telling the other side of the story, we could leave
>> G'Kar and Londo's story as a bubble around which the other story surrounds.<<
>
>I think it's a little soon for JMS to be writing something that requires him
>to work around Andreas's death - or Rick's, which I think was the point of
>that comment Jan referenced.
>
>I'm as happy as anyone else that we're going to get more B5, but I'm also
>more than a little sad that it took WB this long to realize the value of
>original cast B5 -- the audience it draws, the money it brings in. Just long
>enough for Andreas not to be able to participate in it.
>
>I'm sure I'll love the new stories, but it'll be hard not to notice the
>glaring absences...

One hears, m'dear. One hears - and understands - and agrees.

Andrew Swallow

Jul 23, 2006, 2:11:03 AM7/23/06
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

Jan wrote:
[snip]

Congratulations.

> --And there?s something else?WB came to him as they do periodically wanting to

> do something with B5. They asked if he wanted to do a feature film but JMS

> declined mainly because he can?t yet picture structuring a B5 movie ??as long as
> Andreas and Rick insist on staying dead.? Maybe in a year or two he?ll be able
> to but right now he can?t do something big. What JMS suggested was a bunch of
> short films?little mini-movies, an anthology show set in the Babylon 5 universe.
> They said, ?Okay.? There?s a network already interested in carrying them but
> they?re also planned for direct to DVD. This will be ?Babylon 5 ? The Lost

Direct to DVD - that is going to need extra hype. Not just to the
general public; the shops do not have a section for Direct to DVD
Science Fiction so will not know where to display them. A repeat
of the problem with Babylon 5 VHS cassettes, books and box sets.

> Tales?, a lot of small stories that never made it into the series that he?s

> rediscovered notes for. And JMS wants no interference, complete creative

> support ? in writing. They said, ?Okay.? And JMS wants to direct them. They
> said, ?Okay.? The first will be three individual stories about three of the

Writing, producing, setting up your own studio-in-a-studio, extra hype
and directing plus comics and feature films - JMS make sure you have a
holiday and sleep.

> main characters (to be determined). The plan is to shoot in September,

> post-production Oct.-Dec. and they?ll probably come out the second quarter of
> 2007.

Time to save up for the new DVDs.

Andrew Swallow

The Nuclear Marine

Jul 23, 2006, 1:58:14 PM7/23/06
Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in news:e9ung...@drn.newsguy.com:

Here's some extra tidbits:

Jms talked to a "top 5 in the country" director who wants to get into
television (makes since, jms did television to get into comics
apparently). They have a unique idea they want to develop. I'm guessing
the director is Shamaylan, but hell, it could Howard.

Jms said there is something "big" coming down the pipe as far as a
computer game. He hinted that if you wanted to live in the B5 universe,
you might get your chance. My guess is either a super-Holobrothel, or a
MMORPG. I'm hoping for the former.

B5: The Lost Tales is filming in Vancouver. Is that place becoming the
Canandian Hollywood?

Luke Perry, the less said the better. That was new. Jms did not insult
any actor. However, I'll paraphrase jms "There are wonderful actors who
help the film and make the experience around them a pleasant one. Then
there are actors that are to that what Auschwitz was to health spas". Jms
is more prone to insult a faceless corporation as the bad seeds inside
save some anonymity. So at no time did I see Luke Perry get insulted. In
fact, I don't think I've ever heard jms insult any actor.

I do wonder, what is jms's take on a good actor. Is it just showing up on
time and knowing the lines and the camera marks? Is there more? Any
number of things can make a bad actor (not knowing lines, showing up
late, moaning, prima donna, bad vices that cause the former, annoying
agent, etc.), but what qualities does one notice in a good actor?

We were all invited to his house. I assume the invitation was limited to
the people at the con, and only during the hours of 5pm to 6:30pm on 22
July 2006 (darn, missed my chance). It would be interesting to see what
some rooms look like "decorated by a 12 year old with a platinum card."

Stupid me forgot all about asking him to tell the story of Ellison and
him in the theater in sitting near a talker. If he told that story
elsewhere, is there a transcript available?

Nuke

--
There comes a time in every man's life when he must die - Charles Applin

I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not
about
to let no woman control nothing, especially her own body. On the other
hand, I really hate babies.

Jeremy Nickurak

Jul 23, 2006, 12:49:40 PM7/23/06

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 02:22:09 -0400, shawn wrote:
>>--JMS was up in Toronto recently and they did a 12 episode radio drama

>>series for the CBC called the Adventures of Apocalypse Al. It~Rs kind of

>>a film noir style comedy drama science fiction supernatural series a la

>>Men In Black or Hitchhiker~Rs Guide to the Galaxy. It~Rs in little 5
>>minute chunks and it~Rs fall-down funny.

> Too bad we probably won't get to hear it in the states.

No idea about scheduling, but CBC broadcasts over the internet too,
http://radio.cbc.ca/

Josh Hill

Jul 23, 2006, 2:24:30 PM7/23/06
On 22 Jul 2006 19:39:01 -0700, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>Hijacking this thread since the SDCC thread I started this morning isn't up yet.

Wow -- great news. That's going to be one busy schedule!

--
Josh

"I love it when I'm around the country club, and I hear people talking about the debilitating
effects of a welfare society. At the same time, they leave their kids a lifetime and beyond
of food stamps. Instead of having a welfare officer, they have a trust officer. And instead
of food stamps, they have stocks and bonds."

- Warren Buffett

Josh Hill

Jul 23, 2006, 2:41:18 PM7/23/06
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:58:14 GMT, The Nuclear Marine
<Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote:

>I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not
>about
>to let no woman control nothing, especially her own body. On the other
>hand, I really hate babies.

Love that quote. Who said it?

The Nuclear Marine

Jul 23, 2006, 3:45:15 PM7/23/06
Josh Hill <usere...@gmail.com> wrote in

> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 17:58:14 GMT, The Nuclear Marine
> <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote:
>
>>I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not
>>about
>>to let no woman control nothing, especially her own body. On the other
>>hand, I really hate babies.
>
> Love that quote. Who said it?

I don't know if the creator of this comic thought of it himself,

http://www.monkeydyne.com/rmcs/dbcomic.phtml?rowid=7634

It's a "make your own comic" site, based on the Red Meat comics of Max
Cannon.

There's a moderated and unmoderated portion of the site. The moderated ones
are much funnier as they're voted on by other members (the voter's vote
itself is controlled in a neat way to prevent skewing). The site creator
did special effects on Matrix 2 and Spiderman 2 among other movies.

Nuke

--
There comes a time in every man's life when he must die - Charles Applin

I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not about

Methuselah Jones

Jul 23, 2006, 5:09:34 PM7/23/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Amy
Guskin of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> I'm as happy as anyone else that we're going to get more B5, but I'm
> also more than a little sad that it took WB this long to realize the
> value of original cast B5 -- the audience it draws, the money it
> brings in. Just long enough for Andreas not to be able to participate
> in it.

I suspect JMS being connected to Ron Howard had a great deal to do with
their "realization". Never was the sheep-herd analogy more apt.

--
Methuselah
"No one is exempt from talking nonsense; the only misfortune is to do it

Methuselah Jones

Jul 23, 2006, 5:14:01 PM7/23/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Jan
of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> In article <1153663254.6...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>,
> krueg...@hotmail.com says...
>>

>>Amy Guskin wrote:
>>> I'm as happy as anyone else that we're going to get more B5, but I'm
>>> also more than a little sad that it took WB this long to realize the
>>> value of original cast B5 -- the audience it draws, the money it
>>> brings in. Just long enough for Andreas not to be able to
>>> participate in it.
>>>
>>> I'm sure I'll love the new stories, but it'll be hard not to notice
>>> the glaring absences...
>>
>>It is frustrating to think about what might have been. I wonder what
>>makes them interested in a new B5 project right now?
>
> Half a billion dollars in DVD sales, I gather.

I suspect it has more to do with the Hollywood logic of "An A-list
director is attached to a JMS project, therefore JMS is now an A-list
writer." Nothing causes panic in Hollywood like someone else's success.

--
Methuselah
"Whenever anyone says, 'theoretically', they really mean, 'not really'."

Greg Bryant

Jul 23, 2006, 2:28:30 PM7/23/06
On 7/22/06 10:39 PM, "Jan" wrote:

> --JMS sold a movie to Ron Howard. It¹s a thriller/mystery movie set in the

> ~L20s

> in Los Angeles. They want to get it into production as fast as possible and
> JMS
> is flying up there on the 3rd to meet with Ron Howard and those guys to go
> over
> the script and make sure everything is where it needs to be. It¹s going to be
> big budget film. Ron Howard is a nice guy. The first time JMS had a phone
> conference with him about the script, JMS called him Mr. Howard and the reply
> was ³You hired my dad on Babylon 5, you can call me whatever you want.²
> Possibly it could be in production by the first part of next year.

Here are the two conversations that I'm worried about occurring on this
movie:

First:

Ron Howard: "Joe, I would like you to meet Akiva Goldsman. He's going to
offer you pointers rewriting your screenplay."

Second:

Ron Howard: "Joe, you have a choice of two composers for this movie, James
Horner or Hans Zimmer. Which would you prefer?"

Joe, in either case, I would suggest that you run screaming from the room!

Gregory Weston

Jul 23, 2006, 8:40:53 PM7/23/06
In article <1153665258.7...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
krueg...@hotmail.com wrote:

> Jan wrote:
> > >It is frustrating to think about what might have been. I wonder what
> > >makes them interested in a new B5 project right now?
> > >

> > Half a billion dollars in DVD sales, I gather.
>
> LOL. Yes, I can see how that might turn some heads. :)
>
> But didn't they know years ago that the B5 DVDs were selling amazingly
> well?

ISTR within the last couple of weeks The Man did say that WB had been
talking to him periodically over the last few years about something
B5-ish. Maybe it was in the last script book. But I definitely read it
from his fingers.

What I write is what I mean. I request that anyone who decides to respond
please refrain from "disagreeing" with something I didn't write in the first
place.

Dennis (Icarus)

Jul 23, 2006, 8:14:56 PM7/23/06

"Kurt Ullman" <kurtu...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> In article <g637c2hh58h9ad6md...@4ax.com>,
> shawn <nanof...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> Even though correlation does not mean causation, it doesn't seem to
> be that much of stretch to suggest that perhaps Ron Howard deciding JMS
> s stuff was good enough to be interesting might have awaken someone at
> WB.

Well, there was that story posted about how "Brazil" was made that was
posted earlier....

Dennis

.

John W. Kennedy

Jul 23, 2006, 9:46:54 PM7/23/06

Don't forget that the membership of the CW will have some considerable
overlap with stations that were members of PTEN (though not in NYC,
where WPIX, the WB station, is getting CW and WWOR, the UPN and PTEN
station, is going with the MY network, such as it is, specializing in
an experiment with US telenovelas.

Angelika Tobisch

Jul 23, 2006, 10:01:21 PM7/23/06
Gregory Weston schrieb:

>> But didn't they know years ago that the B5 DVDs were selling amazingly
>> well?
>
> ISTR within the last couple of weeks The Man did say that WB had been
> talking to him periodically over the last few years about something
> B5-ish. Maybe it was in the last script book.

It was.

And can someone more familiar with recent projects and the way Hollywood
works tell me just how far along "The Lost Tales" is. I mean, are we
talking pre- or post-MotS-stage?

Angelika,
blissfully unaware of movie politics

John W. Kennedy

Jul 23, 2006, 10:07:31 PM7/23/06
The Nuclear Marine wrote:
> In
> fact, I don't think I've ever heard jms insult any actor.

No-one sensible does, unless the actor is a hopeless case. (And few
hopeless cases get into the business, except by the teen-idol
backdoor.) Insulting an actor has a way of making him even worse.

It is JMS's feeling, if I recall aright, that if a professional actor
turns in a bad performance, it's usually just bad chemistry --
regrettable, but no one's to blame.

I don't have direct knowledge of Hollywood, but theatre's a pretty
small world. If an actor is a jerk, pretty soon, everybody knows it,
and he stops getting work. (Unless he's a comic tenor; /all/ comic
tenors are jerks, so you have to put up with it.)

> I do wonder, what is jms's take on a good actor. Is it just showing up on
> time and knowing the lines and the camera marks? Is there more? Any
> number of things can make a bad actor (not knowing lines, showing up
> late, moaning, prima donna, bad vices that cause the former, annoying
> agent, etc.), but what qualities does one notice in a good actor?

That's easy:
1) The actor sees things that the writer didn't see, and the writer
sees right away that the actor is right.
2) I remember a year or two ago at the Ohio Light Opera's production
of "South Pacific", feeling that I was watching Nellie Forbush starring
in her own life story. Not every role accommodates that, but it's
glorious when it happens.

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 23, 2006, 10:25:26 PM7/23/06
Angelika Tobisch wrote:

> And can someone more familiar with recent projects and the way Hollywood
> works tell me just how far along "The Lost Tales" is. I mean, are we
> talking pre- or post-MotS-stage?

Well, I might be able to help if I were certain what you meant by "pre-
or post-MotS-stage". <g>

Assuming this is a reference to the most recent abortive "B5" project,
the feature film "The Memory of Shadows" - well the comparison may not
be apt.

"TMoS" was a screenplay for which independent producers were never able
to raise the funding. Not every project proceeds along the same path
that "TMoS" was on before it was scrapped, so you can't really gauge
other things againts it.

"Babylon 5: The Lost Tales" is a series of dramatic stories
commissioned by a major U.S. studio for which a production commitment
has been made, studio space is being sought, storylines are being
discussed and contract negotiations for cast and crew are underway.
Presumably JMS has already been given some sort of budget for the
initial batch of episodes or segments or whatever they're going to be
called. If that is what you mean by "post-MotS-stage" then that's
where it is.

Of course, if by "pre- or post-MotS-stage" you meant something
unrelated to "The Memory of Shadows", I've been no help at all. <g>

Regards,

Joe

Jan

Jul 23, 2006, 10:28:36 PM7/23/06
In article <44c429f2$0$24899$9b4e...@newsread4.arcor-online.net>, Angelika
Tobisch says...

I think you mean TMoS (The Memory of Shadows)? Two completely different
situations. TMoS had been optioned and a script commissioned but never had a
studio lined up. That was the big problem.

B5-The Lost Tales has already been greenlit by WB, the studio. They've begun
looking at soundstages and will be contacting actors via their agents in about a
week and a half.

This has all happened in the last several weeks. By contrast, TMoS did
eventually contact actors but only after JMS had extended their option (for
free) which had lasted a year already.

Jan

--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.
We are One.
IA Declaration of Principles
(J. Michael Straczynski)

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 23, 2006, 10:59:56 PM7/23/06
John W. Kennedy wrote:

> Don't forget that the membership of the CW will have some considerable
> overlap with stations that were members of PTEN

I haven't, hence my comment about the exploding irony meter. Consider:
When PTEN was aborning the first group of statoins ended up going to
what became UPN, and UPN used Paramount's clout to try to strangle "B5"
in it crib. PTEN died because Warner Bros. was not willing to give
the member stations an ownership stake in the shows they carried -
which is essentially the deal Warner Bros. *had* to give the stations
the made up the affiliates of The WB when they got that off the ground.
Now the new CW network will be made up of stations were owned by or
affiliated with UPN and The WB, and there is the amusing possiblility
that some version of "B5" might find a home - where it nearly died
repeatedly and "Trek" finally did, and that it might be reviived by
people affiliated with the studio that tried to kill the one and did
kill the other. It is the kind of thing that can make your head
explode if you think about it for too long, like a time paradox. In
fact, for all we know it *is* one. <g>

Regards,

Joe

Angelika Tobisch

Jul 23, 2006, 11:08:09 PM7/23/06
Joseph DeMartino schrieb:

>> And can someone more familiar with recent projects and the way Hollywood
>> works tell me just how far along "The Lost Tales" is. I mean, are we
>> talking pre- or post-MotS-stage?
>
> Well, I might be able to help if I were certain what you meant by "pre-
> or post-MotS-stage". <g>

Ahem, in case you were wondering what happens when you get up around 4
a.m. because it's just too damn hot to sleep and decide to do a little
newsgroup posting... see above.

Thanks for the clarifications to both you and Jan.

Angelika,
off for bed again

Thunder 06

Jul 24, 2006, 1:21:10 AM7/24/06
Hey Jan, did JMS give any idea of what format Lost Tales will be taking?
Are they hour long eps or...? Or did he reveal that?

Thanks!

t.k.

Matt Ion

Jul 24, 2006, 3:13:30 AM7/24/06
Methuselah Jones wrote:
> Nothing causes panic in Hollywood like someone else's success.

*Bing!* Quote Of The Week, folks!

Cameron Mason

Jul 24, 2006, 5:27:57 AM7/24/06

"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message
<snip>
> The plan is to shoot in September, post-production Oct.-Dec. and they'll

probably come
> out the second quarter of 2007.

Excellent news (on top of the other good news).

Hopefully Warner in Australia will release them in R4 format...

Cameron
--
"Looking back on it, it probably would have been better if
we had given the catcus some lines." - Chris Bidmead (1987)

http://members.fortunecity.com/masomika/

http://members.fortunecity.com/jpcovers/

alex_t

Jul 24, 2006, 5:29:28 AM7/24/06

> Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales

Oh My ....!
This is the best news I heard in ages!

jms...@aol.com

Jul 24, 2006, 6:44:13 AM7/24/06

Also, CBC has a standing deal with Sirius Radio to pick up its shows in
the US. There will also be a deal sometime after that with NPR, BBC,
and elsewhere. The series will eventually be released on CD as well.

To the other questions that have arisen: we're looking at 3 half-hour
episodes/stories for the first DVD, with additional features and the
like in the other half hour. Each story will be worked around a given
established character, the specifics of which are still TBD contingent
upon availabilities and other issues.

We have a budget, we're greenlit, we're going.

As for what prompted the interest now at WB...it's only recently that
they've finally run through all 5 seasons, which for many years now has
been a constant source of revenue, and I think they would love to have
something to continue to with. The recent news re: Changeling probably
didn't hurt, but the deal was actually being negotiated long before
there *was* a feature film deal with Imagine. As I recall, we
finalized the deal right around the time that the Imagine news was
announced.

It was a rather extraordinary 24 hours.

I held off saying anything until I was cleared by WB to announce it as
a go project. Ultimately, whether we shoot in Vancouver or elsewhere
will be a function of the deal that gets made locally.

jms

Amy Guskin

Jul 24, 2006, 9:27:22 AM7/24/06
(in article <1153737853.0...@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):

> Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
>> [ The following text is in the "UTF-8" character set. ]
>> [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]
>> [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

>>> Too bad we probably won't get to hear it in the states.
>>
>> No idea about scheduling, but CBC broadcasts over the internet too,
>> http://radio.cbc.ca/
>
> Also, CBC has a standing deal with Sirius Radio to pick up its shows in
> the US. There will also be a deal sometime after that with NPR, BBC,
> and elsewhere. The series will eventually be released on CD as well. <<

Sirius?? Sirius??

But not XM?

Rats.

And XM actually has an entire _channel_ dedicated to radio drama! (It's
called Sonic Theater.)

Still, I'll find a way to hear it, but it would have been nice to have had it
on XM.

Amy

Neil B

Jul 24, 2006, 9:42:23 AM7/24/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:
> Jeremy Nickurak wrote:
>> [ The following text is in the "UTF-8" character set. ]
>> [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]
>> [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

>>> Too bad we probably won't get to hear it in the states.
>> No idea about scheduling, but CBC broadcasts over the internet too,
>> http://radio.cbc.ca/
>
> Also, CBC has a standing deal with Sirius Radio to pick up its shows in
> the US. There will also be a deal sometime after that with NPR, BBC,
> and elsewhere. The series will eventually be released on CD as well.
>
> To the other questions that have arisen: we're looking at 3 half-hour
> episodes/stories for the first DVD, with additional features and the
> like in the other half hour. Each story will be worked around a given
> established character, the specifics of which are still TBD contingent
> upon availabilities and other issues.

Sounds like a pretty interesting new format, actually...

Neil B

Jan

Jul 24, 2006, 10:14:21 AM7/24/06
In article <1153737853.0...@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
jms...@aol.com says...

>To the other questions that have arisen: we're looking at 3 half-hour
>episodes/stories for the first DVD, with additional features and the
>like in the other half hour. Each story will be worked around a given
>established character, the specifics of which are still TBD contingent
>upon availabilities and other issues.

Ohh....heck. Darn. Drat. You know what I just realized? My complete script
collection just went open-ended again and it's going to be three behind with
every disk. Yikes! Oh, well. It's a lovely problem to have. ;-)

>We have a budget, we're greenlit, we're going.

Yes!

>I held off saying anything until I was cleared by WB to announce it as
>a go project. Ultimately, whether we shoot in Vancouver or elsewhere
>will be a function of the deal that gets made locally.
>
>jms

Is it too early to ask whether Christopher Franke might be coming aboard? I
hope so.

Angelika Tobisch

Jul 24, 2006, 10:18:15 AM7/24/06
Jan schrieb:

> Is it too early to ask whether Christopher Franke might be coming aboard? I
> hope so.

Me too!

Angelika

Matt Ion

Jul 24, 2006, 12:23:20 PM7/24/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> It was a rather extraordinary 24 hours.

To paraphrase Tom Clancy, "The last 24 hours have seen some... extraordinary
navel activity." :)

> I held off saying anything until I was cleared by WB to announce it as
> a go project. Ultimately, whether we shoot in Vancouver or elsewhere
> will be a function of the deal that gets made locally.

Well if it's in YVR, the offer to come by for a BBQ still stands :)

Matt Ion

Jul 24, 2006, 12:23:56 PM7/24/06
Amy Guskin wrote:

> Sirius?? Sirius??

Yes, it is Sirius. And don't call me Shirley.

Methuselah Jones

Jul 24, 2006, 1:56:22 PM7/24/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Amy
Guskin of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

>>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 06:44:13 -0400, jms...@aol.com wrote

> (in article <1153737853.0...@s13g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>):
>

>> Jeremy Nickurak wrote:

>>> No idea about scheduling, but CBC broadcasts over the internet too,
>>> http://radio.cbc.ca/
>>
>> Also, CBC has a standing deal with Sirius Radio to pick up its shows
>> in the US. There will also be a deal sometime after that with NPR,
>> BBC, and elsewhere. The series will eventually be released on CD as
>> well. <<
>
> Sirius?? Sirius??

Surely, you're not.....

--
Methuselah
"Who ever thought up the word 'Mammogram'? Every time I hear it, I think

Wendy of NJ

Jul 24, 2006, 4:12:07 PM7/24/06
On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 14:55:07 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

>>>On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:36:43 -0400, Joseph DeMartino wrote
>(in article <1153665403.4...@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>):

>> Jan wrote:
>>
>>> Half a billion dollars in DVD sales, I gather.
>>
>> I think that and - I'm speculating here - the soon-to-be-launched CW
>> network, bastard child of The WB and UPN> (Excuse me, my irony meter
>> just exploded. <g>) I have a feeling someone over there might have
>> been smart enough to see the potential in "B5" - and in the only
>> writer-producer in the history of the medium who was consistently able
>> to bring a space-based SF show in on time and on budget for 1/2 to 1/3
>> of what competing shows cost. But that's just a guess. <<
>

>I figured it was all of this, plus whatever record-breaking figures they're
>getting in AOL downloads. It certainly can't just be the sales figures for
>the DVDs, because as Barbara pointed out, they've had that information for
>some years now.
>
>Amy

Plus, SciFi shows are "hot" right now - and WB doesn't seem to have a
lot of entries into that market at the moment, and they don't want to
miss the wave, not when they've got a great property like B5 in their
pocket.

BSG is doing gangbusters, (not to mention the various Stargates) and
SciFi channel seems to be doing better - I mean, look at all the new
series on their slate for next year (and now, actually). And I have to
say that if wrestling helps them pay the bills and they keep putting
out decent programming aside from Monday Night Raw or whatever it is,
I can live with that.

-Wendy (noting the cyclical nature of pop culture, yet again)

Message has been deleted

Chris

Jul 24, 2006, 5:46:22 PM7/24/06
In article <65aac2572jjpd47a9...@4ax.com>,

Wendy of NJ <voxw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> BSG is doing gangbusters, (not to mention the various Stargates) and
> SciFi channel seems to be doing better - I mean, look at all the new
> series on their slate for next year (and now, actually). And I have to
> say that if wrestling helps them pay the bills and they keep putting
> out decent programming aside from Monday Night Raw or whatever it is,
> I can live with that.

wouldn't the irony meter just go off the scale if B5:TLT ended up airing
in sci-fi channel just before wrestling?

...Chris, and it's "ecw" "monday night raw" is a different show by the
same company, on sfc's sister station, USA. and no, i'm not happy about
it being on SFC either, it i hopefully a temporary arrangement.

Matt Ion

Jul 24, 2006, 6:12:54 PM7/24/06
Chris wrote:

> ...Chris, and it's "ecw" "monday night raw" is a different show by the
> same company, on sfc's sister station, USA. and no,

I'm worried that you actually know all this...

Wesley Struebing

Jul 24, 2006, 7:51:54 PM7/24/06

This thread is siriusly sick...

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Carl

Jul 24, 2006, 8:00:58 PM7/24/06

"Wesley Struebing" <str...@carpedementem.org> wrote in message

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:23:56 +0000 (GMT), Matt Ion
> <sou...@moltenimage.com> wrote:
>
>>Amy Guskin wrote:
>>
>>> Sirius?? Sirius??
>>
>>Yes, it is Sirius. And don't call me Shirley.
>
> This thread is siriusly sick...

Nothing sirius I hope.

Methuselah Jones

Jul 24, 2006, 9:29:02 PM7/24/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Wesley Struebing of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:23:56 +0000 (GMT), Matt Ion
> <sou...@moltenimage.com> wrote:
>
>>Amy Guskin wrote:
>>
>>> Sirius?? Sirius??
>>
>>Yes, it is Sirius. And don't call me Shirley.
>
> This thread is siriusly sick...

It must have had the fish.

--
Methuselah
My parents just came back from a planet where the dominant lifeform had

Matt Ion

Jul 24, 2006, 9:41:05 PM7/24/06
Methuselah Jones wrote:
> Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
> Wesley Struebing of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:
>

>>On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 16:23:56 +0000 (GMT), Matt Ion
>><sou...@moltenimage.com> wrote:

>>>Yes, it is Sirius. And don't call me Shirley.
>>
>>This thread is siriusly sick...
>

> It must have had the fish.

..but that's not important right now.

Chris

Jul 24, 2006, 10:23:41 PM7/24/06
In article <REexg.231606$IK3.102169@pd7tw1no>,
Matt Ion <sou...@moltenimage.com> wrote:

looks like i picked the wrong day to stop doing amphetamines.

...Chris

Amy Guskin

Jul 24, 2006, 10:35:38 PM7/24/06
>> On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 22:23:41 -0400, Chris wrote
(in article <pelzo63-A8E518...@news.west.earthlink.net>):

...I'm not even supposed to be here today!

Amy

Matt Ion

Jul 24, 2006, 11:28:52 PM7/24/06

Aunty Em, Aunty Em, a twister, a twister!

Matt Ion

Jul 24, 2006, 11:29:30 PM7/24/06

Whoa, that's a pretty abrupt shift, from Airplane to Clerks...

It is loading more messages.