JMS: World War Z?

1 view

Shabaz

Jan 1, 2007, 8:55:42 AM1/1/07
I was browsing around a bit on the IMDB, and on your personal page
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0833089/ I saw that it has you listed as
writing an adaptation of Max Brooks's World War Z for 2008. With IMDB's
reputation for not always being entirely accurate, I suppose the first
question should be, is this true? And if so, is there anything you want
or can tell us about this project?

Oh, and happy new year; may it be a good one. :)

-Shabaz

jms...@aol.com

Jan 1, 2007, 8:46:41 PM1/1/07

Shabaz wrote:
> I was browsing around a bit on the IMDB, and on your personal page
> http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0833089/ I saw that it has you listed as
> writing an adaptation of Max Brooks's World War Z for 2008. With IMDB's
> reputation for not always being entirely accurate, I suppose the first
> question should be, is this true? And if so, is there anything you want
> or can tell us about this project?

There's nothing I can say about it at this time.

jms

Blair Leatherwood

Jan 1, 2007, 9:17:44 PM1/1/07
Sounds like that says it all.

Blair

Joseph DeMartino

Jan 1, 2007, 9:41:21 PM1/1/07
Shabaz wrote:

I believe JMS gave you what Woodward and Bernstein would call a
"non-denial denial" <g>
Of course, thanks to JMS we understand the strictures of Hollywood
protocol and contracts and understand why he sometimes cannot respond
to certain questions or confirm certain information. Therefore I offer
the following merely as interesting facts.

For those not familiar with "World War Z" (I wasn't until a
moment ago), it is a novel in the form of a future history:
Specifically it is an oral history of the Zombie War, when the Human
race was almost wiped out by Zombies. The author assumes the pose of
someone collecting eye-witness accounts of some of the major periods
and events of the war.

According to the IMDB (not always a reliable source) the book was
option before it was even published after a bidding war between
production companies owned by Brad Pitt and Leondardo DiCaprio.

JMS on the moderated newsgroup, Dec 12 2006

> This week the outline for the film I'm writing for Paramount will be
turned in to the studio. I'm still waiting for the PR department to
announce the project so I can't yet identify it. I can say though that
it's for Brad Pitt's Plan B productions. <

JMS responds to a fan's question about which version of "Night of
the Living Dead" is in his video collection, which he recently posted
to this newsgroup.

> > "Night Of The Living Dead"
> 1968 and 1990?

> Every iteration of every zombie film Romero has ever made. Every new
release, new recut, or dvd with additional features. I'm a sucker for
zombie movies. -- jms, Jan 1 2007 <

So.

JMS, who is a sucker for zombie movies, is rumored to be adapting a
zombie novel for the big screen.

The same zombie novel is rumored to have been acquired in a bidding war
by Paramount for Brad Pitt's Plan B Productions.

JMS has already mentioned that he is writing a script for Paramount
that will be produced through Brad Pitt's Plan B Productions, but he
can't discuss it because it hasn't been officially announced yet.

I think Mr. Schroedinger over at the Paramount PR department needs to
check his bag. <g>

Regards,

Joe

JanMSchroeder

Jan 1, 2007, 9:50:43 PM1/1/07
On Jan 1, 9:41 pm, "Joseph DeMartino" <jdema...@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Shabaz wrote:I believe JMS gave you what Woodward and Bernstein would call a
> "non-denial denial" <g>
> Of course, thanks to JMS we understand the strictures of Hollywood
> protocol and contracts and understand why he sometimes cannot respond
> to certain questions or confirm certain information.  Therefore I offer
> the following merely as interesting facts.

JMS didn't say anything then and he's not saying anything now. Is that
what you're saying Joe DeM? ;-)

Jan

Joseph DeMartino

Jan 1, 2007, 10:29:57 PM1/1/07
JanMSchroeder wrote:

> JMS didn't say anything then and he's not saying anything now. Is that
> what you're saying Joe DeM? ;-)

I can neither confirm nor deny anything JMS may have said, or not said,
at that time or any other. I trust I make myself obscure?

<g>

Matt Ion

Jan 1, 2007, 10:52:32 PM1/1/07

He's probably not even telling himself about it, either.

Matt Ion

Jan 1, 2007, 10:52:51 PM1/1/07

Like glass.

Joseph DeMartino

Jan 1, 2007, 11:03:50 PM1/1/07
Matt Ion wrote:

> He's probably not even telling himself about it, either.

He's probably not authorized to know. How could the studio ever trust
him again if he went around telling himself things he hasn't been
cleared for?

Joe

Jeffrey MacHott

Jan 2, 2007, 4:22:37 AM1/2/07

I think Joe is saying even less than JMS is.

--
--Jeffrey MacHott

"Sola bona lingua est mortua lingua"

Will Frank

Jan 1, 2007, 10:40:20 PM1/1/07
Also Sprach Joseph DeMartino:

> I can neither confirm nor deny anything JMS may have said, or not said,
> at that time or any other. I trust I make myself obscure?

Keep doing that, the Clark administration will draft you for the Press
Secretary's staff...

--
Will "scifantasy" Frank - wmf...@stwing.org
"Brazil has decided you're cute." --"A Miracle Of Science"

Elijha Smike Gianvario

Jan 1, 2007, 11:50:44 PM1/1/07
"...There are so many things in the universe that are and so many things that aren't. If I were to take the time to *deny* all the things that aren't, well, we'd be here for centuries, wouldn't we?"

I just hope we don't get any Bargains or Lies.

Tom

Jan 17, 2007, 1:35:13 PM1/17/07

Can you at least confirm or deny something he will say at some point?

JanMSchroeder

Jan 17, 2007, 3:56:40 PM1/17/07

I can confirm that he has said "something" in the past and I think it's
likely (but not definite) that he will probably say "something" in the
future and for all I know (but can't confirm) he may be saying
"something" right now.

Perhaps this post of his from back in the day will illuminate the
situation:

<< From: STRACZYNSKI [Joe]
Subject: The pages that I've seen are quite...
To: GENIE
Date: 8/29/1994 5:33:00 PM

<snip of other stuff>

Here's a spoiler for "Chrysalis," just for fun.

Something mysterious happens; then something ominous happens; then
something wonderful happens; then something astonishing happens; then
something even more mysterious happens; then something *terrible*
happens;
then *another* terrible thing happens; then three more mysterious and
ominous
things happen.

jms >>

See? You just can't pin him down on some things.

Jan

kurtu...@yahoo.com

Jan 17, 2007, 4:13:56 PM1/17/07

Guess we can put that down as a definite maybe (g)

Kurt

Joseph DeMartino

Jan 17, 2007, 4:59:25 PM1/17/07
Tom wrote:

> Can you at least confirm or deny something he will say at some point?

Perhaps. I'll consider this request at the appropriate time.

Regards,

Joe

Wesley Struebing

Jan 17, 2007, 7:52:44 PM1/17/07

Can't say...

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Jan

Jan 17, 2007, 10:12:41 PM1/17/07
In article <j6htq2p1nqj1dm4uj...@4ax.com>, Wesley Struebing
says...

>On 17 Jan 2007 10:35:13 -0800, "Tom" <nps...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>>Joseph DeMartino wrote:

>>> I can neither confirm nor deny anything JMS may have said, or not said,
>>> at that time or any other. I trust I make myself obscure?
>>>
>>> <g>
>>
>>Can you at least confirm or deny something he will say at some point?
>>
>Can't say...

..saying, would know. Do not know, so cannot say. </Zathras>

Jan

--
If we are to be who we are, and what we are; if we are to accomplish great
things, then we must learn the heart's most essential rule:

Wesley Struebing

Jan 18, 2007, 8:53:25 PM1/18/07
On 17 Jan 2007 19:12:41 -0800, Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote:

>In article <j6htq2p1nqj1dm4uj...@4ax.com>, Wesley Struebing
>says...

>>>Can you at least confirm or deny something he will say at some point?
>>>
>>Can't say...
>>

>..saying, would know. Do not know, so cannot say. </Zathras>

This is ... wrong tool.