Ian McShane on Jay Leno w/ B5 reference

The Nuclear Marine

Feb 23, 2005, 11:38:52 AM2/23/05
He was there mainly to talk about himself (how he got into acting) and
Deadwood (outstanding series that he truly plays an outstanding character).

Anyway, near the end of the interview, Jay Leno out of the blue asks Ian
about Babylon 5. Ian looks lost then realizes what he's being asked. He
then seems to put B5 by spouting techno-babble (how the dialogue was
confusing him). Course he mentions Martin Sheen and his make-up.

Granted, River of Souls was not that great (I personally did not like it),
but I don't recall the techno-babble.

Anyway, anyone know if McShane had a pleasant experience doing B5? I
remember McShane was originally slated to play the Soul Hunter and Sheen
the doctor.

I also wonder why Leno brought up B5? He a fan?

Nuke

Amy Guskin

Feb 23, 2005, 1:16:43 PM2/23/05
>>On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 11:38:52 -0500, The Nuclear Marine wrote
(in article <Xns9605C294D7...@68.6.19.6>):

Interesting. And, this has _gotta_ win Oddest Reference of the Day award.

Amy

--
http://www.zongoftheweek.com
Free and legal downloads of fun, original songs

abch...@valornet.com

Feb 23, 2005, 2:24:34 PM2/23/05

McShane, looking at his IMDb file, isn't exactly a veteran of the
genre, so it's understandable he'd be something of a fish out of water.
As for Leno's reference, my first thought is that it's a good sign
that B5 is being talked about behind the scenes among Hollywood types,
meaning that TMoS and the DVD sales really *have* caused a minor buzz
that's building.

Jeff Smith

Feb 23, 2005, 6:25:57 PM2/23/05
We can't forget Ian in the Space: 1999 episode called Force of Life.

<abch...@valornet.com> wrote in message

Mac Breck

Feb 23, 2005, 6:40:11 PM2/23/05
"The Nuclear Marine" <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote in message

> He was there mainly to talk about himself (how he got into acting) and
> Deadwood (outstanding series that he truly plays an outstanding
character).

> Anyway, near the end of the interview, Jay Leno out of the blue asks
Ian
> about Babylon 5.

How did Leno mention it, in a joking way (making fun of B5) or in a
serious way (like he might be a fan of B5)? Hopefully, it was the
latter.

> Ian looks lost then realizes what he's being asked.

Well, it was 6 years ago, and he probably never watched the finished
product (much like many of the B5 actors; remember BB's commentary?).
Acting against a green screen, and not seeing any of the CGI that got
added later, I could see why McShane looked lost when asked about it 6
years later.

> He
> then seems to put B5 by spouting techno-babble (how the dialogue was
> confusing him).

Most of his technical lines were archeological or talking to the soul
orb, right? Not "space sci-fi" technobabble.

> Course he mentions Martin Sheen and his make-up.

What, all about how Martin was a trooper for putting up with all the
latex?

> Granted, River of Souls was not that great (I personally did not like
it),

I didn't like it all that much **when I first saw it**, but since "To
Live and Die in Starlight (2002), I've gained a real appreciation for
Babylon 5: The River of Souls (1998). McShane, not Sheen, was the
highlight of the movie, for me.

> but I don't recall the techno-babble.

He didn't have much. I think that was probably a knee-jerk,
stereotypical answer, based upon his being in a "sci-fi" movie, not from
actual memories of his lines.

> Anyway, anyone know if McShane had a pleasant experience doing B5? I
> remember McShane was originally slated to play the Soul Hunter and
Sheen
> the doctor.
>
> I also wonder why Leno brought up B5? He a fan?

Hopefully. That was the point of my first question above.

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - from the desktop PC
-------------------------------

"Brimstone" (1998)
The Devil: Nobody beats the Devil. Are you listening? Did you hear what
I said, Mr. Stone? Nobody beats the Devil.
Ezekiel Stone: So you keep telling me. <enjoying his Reggie Bar> Go to
Hell...<smiles and pushes the Down button on the elevator> ...please.

Thomas A. Horsley

Feb 23, 2005, 8:41:08 PM2/23/05
>Granted, River of Souls was not that great (I personally did not like it),
>but I don't recall the techno-babble.

Always remember: To an actor, any dialogue that isn't about acting
is techno-babble :-).
--
>>==>> The *Best* political site <URL:http://www.vote-smart.org/> >>==+
email: Tom.H...@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+

David Williams

Feb 24, 2005, 1:59:33 AM2/24/05

"Thomas A. Horsley" <tom.h...@att.net> wrote in message

> Always remember: To an actor, any dialogue that isn't about acting
> is techno-babble :-).

Yeah, well, they'll never admit it, but many actors are themselves guilty of
techno-babble, even when it IS about acting. Sometimes ESPECIALLY when it's
about acting... or their "Craft" (with a capital "C").
Ever watch Inside the Actor's Studio? Some do very well. But for me the
most fun comes from watching a movie star stumble through some BS answer to
some of the questions the students throw at them. (Admittedly many of the
questions themselves are pretentious BS as well... But I'll allow some
leaway considering they are students, not seasoned thespians...)

Regards,
David W.

Ian Salsbury

Feb 24, 2005, 3:59:29 PM2/24/05

"The Nuclear Marine" <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote in message

I read an interview with Ian McShane in The Independant newspaper in the UK
last year. He said that his role in B5 was the worst thing he`d ever done
and something he deeply regrets. He hated the movie.

Mac Breck

Feb 24, 2005, 5:00:41 PM2/24/05
"Ian Salsbury" <I...@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Well, that's too bad. I thought he was very good in it. Sounds like he
was trying to distance/disassociate himself from it.

> He hated the movie.

So he watched the movie, or was he just speaking from the POV of what he
saw while making the movie?

Ian Salsbury

Feb 24, 2005, 11:10:13 PM2/24/05

"Ian Salsbury" <I...@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

Just as a follow up, here are a couple of quotes from the interview...I had
posted them to the UK newsgroup before.

To the question "Which was the most embarrasing experience you`ve had while
acting?"

I did a science fiction special called Babylon 5, and I had to look at
Martin Sheen, who had one eye in the middle of his head. I didn`t know what
to look at. Sheen was hunting for souls in space, and I was trying to stop
him. A bit embarrasing now.

To the question "of all parts you`ve played, in retrospect, which do you
wish you`d turned down?"

That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue. I had to
say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine and head for
Ripidee". After a while I decided to make my own lines up and they weren`t
too happy about that.

David Williams

Feb 25, 2005, 12:36:41 AM2/25/05

"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> I read an interview with Ian McShane in The Independant newspaper in
> the UK
>> last year. He said that his role in B5 was the worst thing he`d ever
> done
>> and something he deeply regrets.
>
> Well, that's too bad. I thought he was very good in it. Sounds like he
> was trying to distance/disassociate himself from it.

My $.02:
I've always enjoyed Ian McShane, but thought he seemed out of place in River
of Souls. He just... didn't work for me in the role. In retrospect, after
reading these comments, he did kinda' seem as though he was phoning in the
part...

And with apologies all around, IMO RoS was NOT the greatest B5 vehicle. In
the Beginning, OTOH...

David W.

The Nuclear Marine

Feb 25, 2005, 4:03:17 AM2/25/05
"Ian Salsbury" <I...@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in

Well, from what I read, actors do not change diaglogue on Babylon 5
without approval of the script writer. Since the writer happens to be the
executive producer, that might have something to do with that.

He didn't seem have to many technical lines. I've not seen the movie in
awhile, so might as well rewatch.

Shame McShane and Paul Winfield had such bad experiences on the shows,
but in both cases their complaints don't seem to match with reality
(techno-babble or unprofessional atmosphere). Any other actors claim to
have had bad experiences (certain telepath actresses excepted) on Babylon
5 set?

Nuke

Mac Breck

Feb 25, 2005, 8:17:12 AM2/25/05
"Ian Salsbury" <I...@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

What should be embarrasing is what he said in the interview.

> To the question "of all parts you`ve played, in retrospect, which do
you
> wish you`d turned down?"
>
> That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue.

He didn't have any technical dialogue. I'll have to go back and listen
for this technical dialogue that the poor baby was laboring under.

> I had to
> say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine and head for
> Ripidee".

**What?!?**

> After a while I decided to make my own lines up and they weren`t
> too happy about that.

Sounds like an a**, a definite candidate for actor most deserved to be
whacked with a baseball bat, to knock some sense into that pompous
<expletive deleted>. At least none of that "attitude" came through on
the screen.

Methuselah Jones

Feb 25, 2005, 9:27:21 AM2/25/05
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Ian
Salsbury of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> "Ian Salsbury" <I...@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
>>
>> "The Nuclear Marine" <Nuke-...@cox.net> wrote in message
>>> He was there mainly to talk about himself (how he got into acting)
>>> and Deadwood (outstanding series that he truly plays an outstanding
>>> character).
>>>
>>> Anyway, near the end of the interview, Jay Leno out of the blue asks
>>> Ian about Babylon 5. Ian looks lost then realizes what he's being
>>> asked. He then seems to put B5 by spouting techno-babble (how the
>>> dialogue was confusing him). Course he mentions Martin Sheen and
>>> his make-up.
>>>
>>> Granted, River of Souls was not that great (I personally did not
>>> like it), but I don't recall the techno-babble.
>>>
>>> Anyway, anyone know if McShane had a pleasant experience doing B5? I
>>> remember McShane was originally slated to play the Soul Hunter and
>>> Sheen the doctor.
>>
>> I read an interview with Ian McShane in The Independant newspaper in
>> the UK last year. He said that his role in B5 was the worst thing
>> he`d ever done and something he deeply regrets. He hated the movie.
>
> Just as a follow up, here are a couple of quotes from the
> interview...I had posted them to the UK newsgroup before.

[snip]

It doesn't say much for him as a professional, really. I could understand
him complaining if production conditions were horrible, JMS were a major
tyrant, etc. But to complain about the role itself? If he didn't want it,
he shouldn't have taken it. It sounds to me like he either didn't like it
from the beginning and just took it for money or whatever, or got on the
set and decided he didn't like it, and just shut down. Why would he call
the thing in Sheen's forehead an eye? And technobabble? Sounds like he
just wanted to get the hell out of there and wasn't paying attention, or
else is deliberately mis-remembering things to sound worse. Either way,
what an ass.

I'll certainly never hire him.

--
Methuselah
"A ship in port is safe, but that is not what ships are for. Sail out to

Amy Guskin

Feb 25, 2005, 9:53:29 AM2/25/05
(in article <Xns9608A80C7...@68.6.19.6>):

> Shame McShane and Paul Winfield had such bad experiences on the shows,
> but in both cases their complaints don't seem to match with reality
> (techno-babble or unprofessional atmosphere). <<

What'd Paul Winfield say about his experience?

Amy Guskin

Feb 25, 2005, 10:19:08 AM2/25/05
>>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 08:17:12 -0500, Mac Breck wrote
(in article <388mqiF...@individual.net>):

This makes me sad, and it's definitely going to affect my enjoyment of his
performance henceforth. I don't mind actors having an opinion about the
material on which they've worked; it's just that I hate this kind of
knee-jerk reaction that's likely based on his embarrassment at having done
something so "childish" as sci-fi, and not based at all on the quality of the
material. Bleh.

Andrew Swallow

Feb 25, 2005, 11:06:17 AM2/25/05
Amy Guskin wrote:
[snip]

> This makes me sad, and it's definitely going to affect my enjoyment of his
> performance henceforth. I don't mind actors having an opinion about the
> material on which they've worked; it's just that I hate this kind of
> knee-jerk reaction that's likely based on his embarrassment at having done
> something so "childish" as sci-fi, and not based at all on the quality of the
> material. Bleh.

No, some actors are just covering up that they do not know the meaning
of the words they are saying and cannot be bothered to look them up in a
dictionary. They incorrectly assume that the viewers do not understand
the words.

Andrew Swallow

John Duncan Yoyo

Feb 25, 2005, 11:11:29 AM2/25/05
On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 13:17:12 +0000 (UTC), "Mac Breck"
<macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Ian Salsbury" <I...@salsbury42.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

>> That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue.

>He didn't have any technical dialogue. I'll have to go back and listen
>for this technical dialogue that the poor baby was laboring under.
>
>> I had to
>> say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine and head for
>> Ripidee".
>
>**What?!?**
>
>> After a while I decided to make my own lines up and they weren`t
>> too happy about that.
>
>Sounds like an a**, a definite candidate for actor most deserved to be
>whacked with a baseball bat, to knock some sense into that pompous
><expletive deleted>. At least none of that "attitude" came through on
>the screen.

If he made things up and wouldn't get the technobabble right the lines
may have been dropped in editing or given to someone else more
professional to patch into the story. This isn't the sort of
information we get out of JMS unless the actor says something and then
Joe doesn't often say much.

--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)

David Williams

Feb 25, 2005, 3:48:55 PM2/25/05

> He didn't have any technical dialogue. I'll have to go back and listen
> for this technical dialogue that the poor baby was laboring under.

Well, compared to his current character's dialogue, the instructions to a
household toaster would seem like "techno-babble."

David W.

Mac Breck

Feb 25, 2005, 7:00:39 PM2/25/05
"Amy Guskin" <ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote in message

It propogates the stereotype. It's as if he doesn't want to be caught
siding with sci-fi, like it'll hurt his reputation with the mainstream
audience.

The Nuclear Marine

Feb 25, 2005, 7:15:24 PM2/25/05

>>>On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 04:03:17 -0500, The Nuclear Marine wrote
> (in article <Xns9608A80C7...@68.6.19.6>):
>>
>> Shame McShane and Paul Winfield had such bad experiences on the shows,
>> but in both cases their complaints don't seem to match with reality
>> (techno-babble or unprofessional atmosphere). <<
>
> What'd Paul Winfield say about his experience?

It's was more of a comment that the production seemed unprofessional. I
believe Claudia Christian commented on his comment that can be summed up
"He can shove it up his *explicative deleted*".

I don't think either McShane or Winfeld had really bad experiences on B5,
just that it was different than they were expecting. Winfeld thought it'd
be like his work on Trek (loooooong production hours, people not having
fun), and McShane may have had to do a bit of technical jargon (not techno-
babble) relating to eternal life and the soul. Certainly McShane in his
roles as Satan (London play of Witches of Eastwick), and in Sexy Beast,
Deadwood shows he can being saying things that make no sense. Again, I
doubt I'd make any judgement on their characters based on a couple of
interviews. That you only have two actors out of hundreds that commented
bad experiences, that says alot. Maybe those two did have a bad
experience, but it was an exception and not the rule.

Definately no need for negative comments that are beginning to appear on
the thread.

Nuke

Khendon

Feb 25, 2005, 8:53:01 PM2/25/05
"Mac Breck" <macthe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Saw a similar thing with Gary Cole - when he was added to the cast of "West
Wing", the local newspaper's Sunday Magazine had one of those one-page
interviews with him, and also listed his acting credits.

"Crusade" was rather conspicuously absent from his listing of television
series...

David Williams

Feb 26, 2005, 8:19:35 AM2/26/05

"Khendon" <Khe...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> Saw a similar thing with Gary Cole - when he was added to the cast of
> "West
> Wing", the local newspaper's Sunday Magazine had one of those one-page
> interviews with him, and also listed his acting credits.
>
> "Crusade" was rather conspicuously absent from his listing of television
> series...

"conspicously"? Only to us.
It was a show with modest ratings, not on a major network, that got
cancelled before completing a full season. Generally NOT something an actor
(or his agent) likes to include on his brag sheet. A simple omission like
that is not the same as lighting bridges on fire on national tv with
negative remarks.

Besides, I think many more people will recognize him as Lumberg...

David W.

Mike

Feb 28, 2005, 3:43:46 PM2/28/05
"David Williams" <kos...@comcast.net> wrote in

> It was a show with modest ratings, not on a major network, that got
> cancelled before completing a full season. Generally NOT something an
> actor (or his agent) likes to include on his brag sheet. A simple
> omission like that is not the same as lighting bridges on fire on
> national tv with negative remarks.

Cancelled before it aired, actually. They had announced that they'd be
showing Crusade in the summer, and oh, by the way, we've already cancelled
it, *maybe* if the ratings are good we'll consider changing our minds.
That's how I recall it.

To...@fred.net

Mar 3, 2005, 8:32:33 AM3/3/05
If my memory serves me correctly, on Fri, 25 Feb 2005 04:10:13 +0000 (UTC), Ian Salsbury issued the following challenge to face my invincible Iron Chefs:

:
: To the question "Which was the most embarrasing experience you`ve had while
: acting?"
:
: I did a science fiction special called Babylon 5, and I had to look at
: Martin Sheen, who had one eye in the middle of his head. I didn`t know what
: to look at. Sheen was hunting for souls in space, and I was trying to stop
: him. A bit embarrasing now.
:
: To the question "of all parts you`ve played, in retrospect, which do you
: wish you`d turned down?"
:
: That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue. I had to
: say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine and head for
: Ripidee". After a while I decided to make my own lines up and they weren`t
: too happy about that.

Odd and ironic, especially since Milch is the JMS of Deadwood, down to the
foreshadowing, and moreso. According to the interviews on the DVD Box Set,
the actors received scripts *after* they shot the scenes, and one scene was
performed as Milch as there writing them in real time.

From reaction to Ian both inside and outside the Deadwood set, along with
his hilarious commentary on Episode 12, I wouldn't put the 'asshat' label
on him.

However, he did Change the Words of Joe, so I expect the Narn Bat Squad to
make an appearence at the Gem Saloon.

--
To...@Fred.Net http://www.fred.net/tomr

* "Hello, girls.... I'm the Easter Bunny!" - Janet Reno, "South Park"
* Look out! If Bender says "ass", Katherine Harris will appear!
* Remember The Pentagon: The Jan Brady of 9/11

"'Welcome to F*ckin' Deadwood!' 'Rob and Amber, you are the last team to
arrive....'" - David Milch's 'The Amazing Race'

Mary Kay Bergman 1961-1999 - http://www.mkbmemorial.com/
"It's been a lot of fun." - Alison Brooks

David E. Powell

Mar 3, 2005, 2:38:58 PM3/3/05

Or, as was said in another movie, "I do not think it means what you
think it means."

JMS has a comment in his Scriptwriters' book about trying to get some
other guy on the staff of a TV show to let him use a "Moby Dick"
reference, with the guy convinced that no one would know what the
reference meant. So JMS agreed, but after the show was done he sent the
guy the story to show how common it was in the public mind (a comic
book version, I think.)

The Nuclear Marine

Mar 3, 2005, 9:32:09 PM3/3/05
"David E. Powell" <David_Po...@msn.com> wrote in

No, the meat of that little tale was this
"Joe, you have a character here that's not referenced earlier in the
script"
"Who is it?"
"This Ahab character mentioned by the guest star 'You've been chasing
after me all this time? My own personal Ahab.'"
"You're kidding, right?"
"What do you mean?"
"Ahab? Moby Dick? The White Whale? You've never heard of that?"
"Well, I have an MBA, so if I haven't heard of it, I'm sure most people
haven't. Change the script."

It was some time after that he sent the book. I made up the dialogue, but
it goes kinda what I read. We could just google jmsnews for Moby Dick.
But that takes research and tons of porn sites keep popping up.

Nuke

Matt Ion

Mar 3, 2005, 9:46:22 PM3/3/05

Anyone else get that Fedex(?) commercial with the MBA a year or so ago?
'Nuff said about that...

Hey, anyone who's seen ST:First Contact should get the Moby Dick
reference...

Jan

Mar 3, 2005, 10:04:15 PM3/3/05
In article <Xns960EBC686A...@68.6.19.6>, The Nuclear Marine says...

> We could just google jmsnews for Moby Dick.
>But that takes research and tons of porn sites keep popping up.

Not if you do the search from JMSNews.net in the first place! Here's one
version from the Hawthorne con:

<<I was working on Murder She Wrote and I had a meeting with the network about
the script I'd just written and my EP [Executive Producer] and I went into the
meeting and he knows how I am with notes. And he says "Whatever he says, don't
make a big deal out of it, it's just notes." So I go in and there's very
minimal, very small notes. The show is about a cop who's been chasing a bad guy
for the last ten years and finally finds him. At one point the cop and the bad
guy have a conversation. The bad guy says "I should be flattered. Not every man
has his own personal Ahab." Not a bad line. So we're in the meeting and go
through the script and the guy from CBS says "There's a typo by the way."
"There's a character who's referenced in the script who's never seen again."
(disbelief, laughter) JMS: "Oh, where?" CBS guy: "Ah-HAB" JMS: "A-hab?" CBS guy:
"Yeah, he's over here." JMS: "No, Ahab. As in Captain Ahab. As in Moby Dick. Guy
chases a big fish?" Quote: "Well I have an MBA [aside: which tells you the
problem right there.] and if I don't know who it is, nobody else will, so cut it
out." I started to go for him! It would have been a mercy killing. My EP says to
me, "Now, make a big deal out of this, I know how you are, just let it go." JMS:
"I won't make a big deal out of it, I promise." I found a copy of Classics
Illustrated Moby Dick and sent it to him. There were phone calls. I think
ignorance should be helped along. The guys I work with, their job is to take
phone calls that begin with the words, "Do you know what he's done now?"
(laughter)>>

Jan

--
Richard Biggs Memorial Show - A day with his friends - Saturday, March 19, 2005.
For more info: http://www.richardbiggs.com/

PhantomSteve

Mar 3, 2005, 11:42:51 PM3/3/05
The Nuclear Marine entertained (or was it annoyed?) us in message:

> I also wonder why Leno brought up B5? He a fan?

I presume that his researchers found it on IMDB! Of course, it could be
that he *is* a fan....

--
__ _ __
o|\('')/|o |_)|_ _ __ _|_ _ __ _ _|_ _ _ o|\('')/|o

PhantomSteve

Mar 3, 2005, 11:43:11 PM3/3/05
entertained (or was it annoyed?) us in message:

>: To the question "of all parts you`ve played, in retrospect, which do

>: you wish you`d turned down?"
>:
>: That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue. I
>: had to say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine and
>: head for Ripidee". After a while I decided to make my own lines up
>: and they weren`t too happy about that.

Well, I'd agree with him on that one... I think that he should have turned
it down! I wasn't convinced with him in the role (and personally, I
consider River of Souls to be the weakest of the B5 productions...
including the majority of the 5 series!)

Amy Guskin

Mar 3, 2005, 11:44:39 PM3/3/05
>>On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 21:32:09 -0500, The Nuclear Marine wrote
(in article <Xns960EBC686A...@68.6.19.6>):

I think you'll find this story in the transcript of the Hawthorne con, which
is posted at jmsnews.com, and also on the People of B5 Yahoo Group.

Amy Guskin

Mar 3, 2005, 11:45:43 PM3/3/05
(in article <d08j7...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> In article <Xns960EBC686A...@68.6.19.6>, The Nuclear Marine says...
>>
>> We could just google jmsnews for Moby Dick.
>> But that takes research and tons of porn sites keep popping up.
>>

> Not if you do the search from JMSNews.net in the first place! Here's one
> version from the Hawthorne con:<<

Sigh, ya beat me to it once again, Jan! Memo to self: read ahead in the
thread before replying to things like this...

:-p

Thunder, Agent '005

Mar 4, 2005, 1:11:35 AM3/4/05
PhantomSteve wrote:

>>: That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue. I
>>: had to say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine and
>>: head for Ripidee". After a while I decided to make my own lines up
>>: and they weren`t too happy about that.
>

> Well, I'd agree with him on that one... I think that he should have turned
> it down! I wasn't convinced with him in the role (and personally, I
> consider River of Souls to be the weakest of the B5 productions...
> including the majority of the 5 series!)

To be fair though, that line always bugged me about
River of Souls too--I mean, they don't even *have* warp speed in Babylon
5! Why would they have him say to put that rotor blades to that speed? I
think jms must've missed that one! ;)

t.k.

Mac Breck

Mar 4, 2005, 10:26:28 AM3/4/05
"Jan" <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in message

Big fish? Tried to dumb it down for him?

> Quote: "Well I have an MBA [aside: which tells you the
> problem right there.] and if I don't know who it is, nobody else will,
so cut it
> out." I started to go for him! It would have been a mercy killing.

ROFLMAO.

> My EP says to
> me, "Now, make a big deal out of this, I know how you are, just let it
go." JMS:
> "I won't make a big deal out of it, I promise." I found a copy of
Classics
> Illustrated Moby Dick and sent it to him. There were phone calls. I
think
> ignorance should be helped along. The guys I work with, their job is
to take
> phone calls that begin with the words, "Do you know what he's done
now?"
> (laughter)>>

Wonder if the MBA "got it."

--
Mac Breck (KoshN)

-------------------------------
"Babylon 5: Crusade" (1999)

Galen: "There is always hope, only because it's the one thing that no
one has figured out how to kill yet."
(Galen's obviously never met Warner Brothers, TNT-Atlanta or Sci-Fi.)

Mac Breck

Mar 4, 2005, 10:26:27 AM3/4/05
"PhantomSteve" <phanto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> entertained (or was it annoyed?) us in message:
>
> >: To the question "of all parts you`ve played, in retrospect, which
do
> >: you wish you`d turned down?"
> >:
> >: That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue. I
> >: had to say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine and
> >: head for Ripidee". After a while I decided to make my own lines up
> >: and they weren`t too happy about that.
>
> Well, I'd agree with him on that one... I think that he should have
turned
> it down! I wasn't convinced with him in the role (and personally, I
> consider River of Souls to be the weakest of the B5 productions...
> including the majority of the 5 series!)

No, IMHO, that honor goes to the Rangers pilot, "To Live and Die in
Starlight." "The River of Souls" was *much* better than that. At no
point during "The River of Souls" did I do a "Gah!<shudder>" and have to
leave the room. McShane really came across well in "The River of
Souls," Tracy Scoggins had one of her best performances to date, and
Jerry Doyle, Joshua Cox Jeff Conaway, and Richard Biggs all turned in
fine performances. Martin Sheen, well, he reminded me of "The Keeper"
from "The Cage"
http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/series/TOS/episode/68662.html

http://www.startrek.com/imageuploads/200306/tos-001-one-of-the-keepers-of/320x240.jpg

Must be a combination of the short stature and the voice. <shrug> I'll
try to forget McShane's interview comments.

Thunder, Agent '005

Mar 4, 2005, 1:57:37 PM3/4/05
Mac Breck wrote:

> No, IMHO, that honor goes to the Rangers pilot, "To Live and Die in
> Starlight." "The River of Souls" was *much* better than that.

It's all a matter of opinion, of course, but I agree with him about ROS.
TLADIS was okay... it may have lead to something better or not but ROS
just wasn't a good show imo.

t.k.

PhantomSteve

Mar 5, 2005, 4:31:07 PM3/5/05
Mac Breck entertained (or was it annoyed?) us in message:

> "PhantomSteve" wrote

>> >: To the question "of all parts you`ve played, in retrospect, which
> do
>> >: you wish you`d turned down?"
>> >:
>> >: That part in Babylon 5. It was full of really technical dialogue.
>> >: I had to say things like "Put the rotor blades to warp speed nine
>> >: and head for Ripidee". After a while I decided to make my own
>> >: lines up and they weren`t too happy about that.
>>
>> Well, I'd agree with him on that one... I think that he should have
> turned it down! I wasn't convinced with him in the role (and
> personally, I consider River of Souls to be the weakest of the B5
> productions... including the majority of the 5 series!)
>
> No, IMHO, that honor goes to the Rangers pilot, "To Live and Die in
> Starlight." "The River of Souls" was *much* better than that.

I cannot comment... I've not seen that, and won't unless it is shown on
terrestrial TV in the UK or on DVD!

David Williams

Mar 6, 2005, 1:38:06 AM3/6/05

> Mac Breck entertained (or was it annoyed?) us in message:
>
>> "PhantomSteve" wrote

>> do

Jumping back in here for some additional thoughts...

1. My impression is that McShane simply was/is NOT a fan of sci-fi. But it
was a gig, so he took it. If one is not a sci-fi fan going IN to such a
gig, they'll probably be even LESS of a fan coming out.
I.e. Let's be honest folks - many "serious" actors would have a hell of a
time taking a part seriously if they had to look at Martin Sheen in a rubber
mask. Especially if it was a gig they were lukewarm on taking to begin
with. So in retrospect, he considered it a forgettable gig and forgot it.
(Though I'm sorry to hear that he missed the wrap party in Ripidee...)

2. Actors doing promotional tours of all the talk radio and talk tv shows,
etc. end up getting asked many of the same inane questions over and over, ad
nauseum.
Result: inane answers.
I.e. they develop some rehearsed answers to those questions so they don't
have to think too hard on a 5:00 a.m. call-in spot, or look like a fool
blanking on Letterman.

3. What's really surreal is when I catch an actor 2 or 3 times on a given
promotional tour, telling the SAME rehearsed stories/jokes/anecdotes etc.
What's even more surreal (and oddly pathetic) is when you can tell they
COMPLETELY made up the stories to begin with, just to get through
interviews.
E.g. I remember seeing Juliana Margolies (E.R.) in an interview after she
had just returned from a trip to Australia. She made a fool of herself
(IMO) by going on and on about the old myth about toilets flushing the
opposite direction in the southern hemisphere - what a "weird" phenomenon it
was... I saw her tell the same story on another show a couple of days
later.
Now... first of all... as we all know, the Coriolis force has little or no
effect on the micro scale of a bathroom sink. So I was annoyed to see this
old legend of bad science being perpetrated yet again, and on national tv.
Second of all... even if it WERE true... I couldn't understand what made her
think this was a story that really needed sharing. I for one couldn't tell
you. I mean, I don't pay a damn bit of attention to which direction the
water swirls out of a the toilet. At least, not since I was 6 years old and
trying to sink my toy boat in the bathtub whirlpool. I don't care if it
goes clockwise or counter-clockwise, just so long as it goes!
(Don't get me started on this week's adventure with Rescue Rooter...)

So basically, though I think it was unprofessional of him, I regard
McShane's response as a throw-away answer to a throw-away question. 'Cause
he's an actor, and you know damn well that if Deadwood were cancelled
tomorrow and his only other offer was a FT part playing a Klingon... He'd
warp-speed-nine his rotor blades to Ripidee and back! (Well, so would I
actually...)

Regards,
David W.

Methuselah Jones

Mar 6, 2005, 8:43:34 AM3/6/05
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
David Williams of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> "PhantomSteve" <phanto...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> Mac Breck entertained (or was it annoyed?) us in message:
>>
>>> "PhantomSteve" wrote

> Jumping back in here for some additional thoughts...
>
> 1. My impression is that McShane simply was/is NOT a fan of sci-fi.
> But it was a gig, so he took it.

And there's nothing wrong with that. I've taken on programming jobs I
wasn't particularly interested in doing, just to pay the bills. But I
always do my best to deliver a good product, and dissing the client
afterward just because I wasn't that interested in the job, would be
extremely unprofessional.

--
Methuselah
"One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions."

Matt Ion

Mar 6, 2005, 1:29:04 PM3/6/05
Methuselah Jones wrote:

I wouldn't consider it "dissing the client" if some asked you what job
you wish you'd passed on, and you came back listing that particular job
with something like, "they had me coding all kinds of stuff that didn't
make sense to me, so I decided to rewrite stuff my own way, and they

Hal Vaughan

Mar 6, 2005, 9:20:28 PM3/6/05
Matt Ion wrote:

I don't think that's a good analogy. The actor plays one small part in an
overall production, and if he hasn't read the entire script through (I know
many actors don't -- or Lucas (or one of his directors) has said that
Harrison Ford only read the scenes he was in and would ask the director,
"Am I in here at all?" And if the answer was no, he wouldn't bother with
that part of the script.

If McShane didn't read the entire script, many lines would not make sense to
him. On the other hand, if I were an actor (I'm not, but I have writing
experience, so I've written about playing one on TV), I would want to know
what I'm saying and what it means. I'd consider it a point of
professionalism to find out, from someone on the set, what the
"technobabble" I was saying was about. If I didn't know, I would still
figure the writer put it there for a good reason, and if I changed it, it
might not match with something someone else said, or might not make sense
in the larger context.

In this case, McShane was paid to be part of a larger picture, and was
whining because he he didn't understand the whole thing. There were,
however, many steps he could have easily taken to understand the entire
thing. It is clear he didn't. It's also a case where those involved (like
Joe) may not know the fine points of acting, but they know the whole field
they are working in. (I know -- in college I directed some video
productions of my scripts, and often actors would only read their scenes
and bitch about any tech talk they didn't understand, refused to listen to
explanations, often only read the scenes they were in, and most of the time
could not tell you what came before and after the scene they were currently
shooting -- which often made me worry about how much thought they had put
into developing the overall character.)

On the other hand, if you hired as programmer, it's a bit different. You
are, like in acting, being hired as a professional, but usually as a
professional that knows a lot more about what you're doing than the person
who hired you. You are then designing a "black box", which means they tell
you what goes in, and what they want out. You do the stuff inside. Either
the inputs and outputs they ask for make sense, or you clarify them. There
may be stuff that doesn't make sense to you, but it is much more likely
you, as a programmer, know more about the programming than the person who
hired you. Whereas in a TV production, the producer (like Joe) SHOULD know
more about the overall making of the movie than any individual actor, in
programming ,the programmer should know more about the work he's doing than
those who hire him.

Sorry for rambling -- still recovering from the flu (and that's from someone
who just doesn't get sick), so I'm having a bit of trouble making sure I
write and speak directly -- my brain seems to be fried.

Hal

John W. Kennedy

Mar 6, 2005, 9:38:10 PM3/6/05
Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I don't think that's a good analogy. The actor plays one small part in an
> overall production, and if he hasn't read the entire script through (I know
> many actors don't -- or Lucas (or one of his directors) has said that
> Harrison Ford only read the scenes he was in and would ask the director,
> "Am I in here at all?" And if the answer was no, he wouldn't bother with
> that part of the script.

And just in case this is seen as a "Hollywood" thing, one of the most
famous Lady M*cb*ths of the 18th century was famous for not knowing how
the play ended.

It's not how I work, but A) I'm only semi-pro, and B) there is no One
True Way to be a performer. (I know full-time, working, professional,
principal opera singers who can't read music.)

---
John W. Kennedy
"Information is light. Information, in itself, about anything, is light."
-- Tom Stoppard. "Night and Day"

Amy Guskin

Mar 6, 2005, 10:14:23 PM3/6/05
(in article <9ePWd.8541$ex7....@fe12.lga>):

(I know full-time, working, professional,
> principal opera singers who can't read music.)<<

Oh, _ouch_.

Amy

Wendy of NJ

Mar 7, 2005, 8:50:17 AM3/7/05
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 03:14:23 +0000 (UTC), Amy Guskin
<ais...@fjordstone.com> wrote:

>>>On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 21:38:10 -0500, John W. Kennedy wrote
>(in article <9ePWd.8541$ex7....@fe12.lga>):
>
>(I know full-time, working, professional,
>> principal opera singers who can't read music.)<<
>
>Oh, _ouch_.

I know plenty of musicians that don't read music. And sometimes, I'm
one of them... Case in point, just last weekend, I was in orchestra
rehersal (I'm a cellist in an "all ages orchestra" which means I'm the
only adult playing an instrument), and we were rehearsing the "theme
to 'Dr. No' ". We don't have a bassist, and the conductor asked me
(since I have a bass in the house) if I could play the bass in this
piece. I had to tell her I can't read a bass part, because I don't
have the "feel" for what strings/frets go with which notes on the
staff, like I do with the cello (even though both instruments use bass
clef). I play bass by ear, only.

-Wendy

Tom

Mar 7, 2005, 9:25:58 AM3/7/05

Well I'm no musician but I recommend you try your hands next time.

Must look awkward banging your head against that thing.

Andrew Swallow

Mar 7, 2005, 9:46:36 AM3/7/05
Hal Vaughan wrote:
[snip]

> In this case, McShane was paid to be part of a larger picture, and was
> whining because he he didn't understand the whole thing. There were,
> however, many steps he could have easily taken to understand the entire
> thing. It is clear he didn't. {snip}

The actors on Dr Who sometimes added their own technobabble when they
forgot their lines. They were allowed to do this because the Tardis
does not actually exist and the family audience is not expected to make
a working one. McShane just applied the same rule.

Babylon 5 is hard SF, many of the adult readers of this newsgroup would
be happy to build a genuine 5 mile long space station that generates
(pseudo) gravity by rotating - given sufficient money. We cannot build
his made up bullsh*t.

Andrew Swallow

David Williams

Mar 7, 2005, 10:21:53 AM3/7/05

"Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message

> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> [snip]
>> In this case, McShane was paid to be part of a larger picture, and was
>> whining because he he didn't understand the whole thing. There were,
>> however, many steps he could have easily taken to understand the entire
>> thing. It is clear he didn't. {snip}
>
> The actors on Dr Who sometimes added their own technobabble when they
> forgot their lines. They were allowed to do this because the Tardis does
> not actually exist

Blasphemer!!!

Okay, maybe not. Though I'd suggest it's more likely that any made-up
technobabble was "allowed" to stay in because it was a low-budget show that
couldn't afford lots of takes. If it sounded good enough... cut and print.

Plus, generally the Doctor was the only one who had any volume of technical
dialogue. And one is more likely to forgive him some babble, since he's the
hero.

> and the family audience is not expected to make a working one.

I don't know...
You haven't seen my brother-in-law's workshop...

David W.

Peter B. Juul

Mar 7, 2005, 10:56:40 AM3/7/05
Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> writes:

> Babylon 5 is hard SF, many of the adult readers of this newsgroup
> would be happy to build a genuine 5 mile long space station that
> generates (pseudo) gravity by rotating - given sufficient money. We
> cannot build his made up bullsh*t.

Honestly, given sufficient money I'd probably go for ending world
hunger and buying a cool car.
--
Peter B. Juul, o.-.o "I'm not ignoring any facts.
The RockBear. ((^)) I'm simply ignoring you.

Andrew Swallow

Mar 7, 2005, 11:18:11 AM3/7/05
Peter B. Juul wrote:
> Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>

>>Babylon 5 is hard SF, many of the adult readers of this newsgroup
>>would be happy to build a genuine 5 mile long space station that
>>generates (pseudo) gravity by rotating - given sufficient money. We
>>cannot build his made up bullsh*t.
>

> Honestly, given sufficient money I'd probably go for ending world
> hunger and buying a cool car.

We have sufficient food to feed the hungry. The problems are getting
the food to them and providing a way for them to pay for it.

Andrew Swallow

David Williams

Mar 7, 2005, 11:54:38 AM3/7/05

> We have sufficient food to feed the hungry. The problems are getting the
> food to them and providing a way for them to pay for it.

I think a bigger problem than payment is keeping corrupt governments,
military, and militia from stealing it.

David W.

Andrew Swallow

Mar 7, 2005, 12:57:04 PM3/7/05
David Williams wrote:

Is "it" being stolen the food or the money?
Thinking about it, in practice "it" is both.

Also the money to build the new roads and warehouses.

Andrew Swallow

caryn dunkel

Mar 7, 2005, 1:20:37 PM3/7/05

"David Williams" <kos...@comcast.net> wrote in message

I believe I read somewhere that JMS didn't want his actors improvising.
Other producers and directors allow (and some even encourage) their actors
to improvise That improvisation may be limited to rehearsal or it may
appear in the final product that we see. Ian McShane may have had
difficulty remembering the lines as written or he may have thought they
sounded like gibberish and substituted lines that he was more comfortable
with. Sometimes that's allowed and sometimes it's not. If Doctor Who
allowed it and it worked for them that's terrific. (I don't recall Ian
McShane ever being on Doctor Who so I'm not at all sure why it's relevant)

Caryn

Andrew Swallow

Mar 7, 2005, 1:38:34 PM3/7/05
caryn dunkel wrote:
> {snip} If Doctor Who

> allowed it and it worked for them that's terrific. (I don't recall Ian
> McShane ever being on Doctor Who so I'm not at all sure why it's relevant)

Dr Who actors writing their own technobabble has been mentioned in
sufficient tv and press interviews that McShane will have heard it.

Andrew Swallow

Paul Harper

Mar 7, 2005, 1:43:34 PM3/7/05
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:20:37 +0000 (UTC), "caryn dunkel"
<c.du...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>(I don't recall Ian
>McShane ever being on Doctor Who so I'm not at all sure why it's relevant)

Speaking of which, the new series of Dr Who starts over here in a few
weeks. I don't know if BBC America will carry it for our American
cousins, but here's hoping.

Paul.

--
. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.

Tom

Mar 7, 2005, 2:37:07 PM3/7/05

Paul Harper wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:20:37 +0000 (UTC), "caryn dunkel"
> <c.du...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
> >(I don't recall Ian
> >McShane ever being on Doctor Who so I'm not at all sure why it's
relevant)

> Speaking of which, the new series of Dr Who starts over here in a few
> weeks. I don't know if BBC America will carry it for our American
> cousins, but here's hoping.
>
> Paul.

I hope so. The last channel in my area to carry (the original series)
(wybe in phila.) just dropped it. They are airing red dwarf in its
place now. I know I could dust off my 10+ year old vhs recordings, but
its much more fun to see it on public tv even after all these years.
It would be nice to see the new one succeed as well.

David Williams

Mar 7, 2005, 3:45:59 PM3/7/05

> Dr Who actors writing their own technobabble has been mentioned in
> sufficient tv and press interviews that McShane will have heard it.

And you're assuming McShane ever listened to or paid any attention to said
interviews. Judging by his attitude and public persona, I'm going to go out
on a limb and say that I doubt it.

Besides, that kind of media buzz only exists In England, perhaps, not here.
In the states, Dr. Who never achieved more than the status of cult tv.
Hell, it was never even shown on commercial television to the best of my
knowledge. Here in Chicago, one of the nation's biggest markets, the best
it ever did for a time-slot was 11:00 at night on Sundays on the PBS
station. (Oddly, it may have had a decent share, as NOTHING else was on at
that time. IIRC, it did draw a big contingent of support during the pledge
drives.)

Though I am curious what kind of buzz the NW Dr. Who is generating over
there. I've still heard NOTHING about it here, except on the internet.

Regards,
David W.

Andrew Swallow

Mar 7, 2005, 4:07:37 PM3/7/05
David Williams wrote:

> "Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>
>>Dr Who actors writing their own technobabble has been mentioned in
>>sufficient tv and press interviews that McShane will have heard it.
>

> And you're assuming McShane ever listened to or paid any attention to said
> interviews. Judging by his attitude and public persona, I'm going to go out
> on a limb and say that I doubt it.

McShane is a British actor. It is a safe assumption that he has heard
other British actors talk about Dr Who in the years since 1963. He may
have even watched the programme with his children. Saturday evening is
peak family viewing time.

Andrew Swallow

Methuselah Jones

Mar 7, 2005, 7:32:10 PM3/7/05
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
Andrew Swallow of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

If one accomplished that I do believe it would be called "ending world
hunger," which is what Peter said.

--
Methuselah
"When I was in high school, I remember boys and girls slept together all

Wendy of NJ

Mar 7, 2005, 8:16:04 PM3/7/05
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 20:45:59 +0000 (UTC), "David Williams"
<kos...@comcast.net> wrote:

>"Andrew Swallow" <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> wrote in message
>> Dr Who actors writing their own technobabble has been mentioned in
>> sufficient tv and press interviews that McShane will have heard it.
>
>And you're assuming McShane ever listened to or paid any attention to said
>interviews. Judging by his attitude and public persona, I'm going to go out
>on a limb and say that I doubt it.
>
>Besides, that kind of media buzz only exists In England, perhaps, not here.
>In the states, Dr. Who never achieved more than the status of cult tv.
>Hell, it was never even shown on commercial television to the best of my
>knowledge. Here in Chicago, one of the nation's biggest markets, the best
>it ever did for a time-slot was 11:00 at night on Sundays on the PBS
>station. (Oddly, it may have had a decent share, as NOTHING else was on at
>that time. IIRC, it did draw a big contingent of support during the pledge
>drives.)

that mostly forgettable Dr Who movie featuring American actors (one of
the Arquettes? Or some other fellow with pouty lips that I can't place
at the moment) was shown on ABC (I think) or another of the "big 3"
networks.

And I think one of the local Philly stations was running Dr Who for
awhile (really late at night)

>Though I am curious what kind of buzz the NW Dr. Who is generating over
>there. I've still heard NOTHING about it here, except on the internet.

Ditto.

-Wendy

Jan

Mar 7, 2005, 10:11:13 PM3/7/05
In article <ZU3Xd.344289$w62....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, caryn
dunkel says...

>I wonder what Ian McShane's philosphy about actors making up their own lines
>was on the TV series was executive producer on (Madson) and in the episodes
>of Lovejoy that he directed. (both of which were before his Babylon 5
>appearance)

Since this thread has gone on a while, I sat down and watched River of Souls
tonight and read the script at the same time. If Ian McShane started making up
his own lines, I'd have to guess that Janet Greet reigned him in and made him do
the takes over until he got it right because I couldn't find *any* instances of
'made up' lines. Very occasionally a phrase was said in a slightly different
order from the printed version but McShane didn't do that any more often than
Jerry Doyle or Tracy Scoggins did.

Perhaps what he made up was what he thought was a 'cute' story.

Jan

--
Richard Biggs Memorial Show - A day with his friends - Saturday, March 19, 2005.
For more info: http://www.richardbiggs.com/

Amy Guskin

Mar 7, 2005, 10:54:59 PM3/7/05
(in article <d0j53...@drn.newsguy.com>):

> In article <ZU3Xd.344289$w62....@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>, caryn
> dunkel says...
>>
>> I wonder what Ian McShane's philosphy about actors making up their own lines
>> was on the TV series was executive producer on (Madson) and in the episodes
>> of Lovejoy that he directed. (both of which were before his Babylon 5
>> appearance)
>>

> Since this thread has gone on a while, I sat down and watched River of Souls
> tonight and read the script at the same time. If Ian McShane started making
> up
> his own lines, I'd have to guess that Janet Greet reigned him in and made him

> do
> the takes over until he got it right because I couldn't find *any* instances
> of
> 'made up' lines. Very occasionally a phrase was said in a slightly different
> order from the printed version but McShane didn't do that any more often than
> Jerry Doyle or Tracy Scoggins did.
>
> Perhaps what he made up was what he thought was a 'cute' story.<<

Hooray for Jan, Arbiter of the Scripts! What would we do without her?

David Williams

Mar 7, 2005, 11:35:36 PM3/7/05

> Perhaps what he made up was what he thought was a 'cute' story.

mm-hmm
Thanks, Jan, for confirming what I expected was the most likely case.

David W.

Dan Dassow

Mar 8, 2005, 12:04:31 AM3/8/05

Amy Guskin wrote:
> >>On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:11:13 -0500, Jan wrote
> (in article <d0j53...@drn.newsguy.com>):
>
> Hooray for Jan, Arbiter of the Scripts! What would we do without
her?

Shouldn't that be:

JMS: TMoS
Jan M Schroeder: The Mistress of Scripts

Dan Dassow

Paul Harper

Mar 8, 2005, 1:03:15 AM3/8/05
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:32:10 +0000 (UTC), Methuselah Jones
<methu...@altgeek.org> wrote:

>Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
>Andrew Swallow of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:
>
>> Peter B. Juul wrote:

>>> Honestly, given sufficient money I'd probably go for ending world
>>> hunger and buying a cool car.
>>
>> We have sufficient food to feed the hungry. The problems are getting
>> the food to them and providing a way for them to pay for it.
>
>If one accomplished that I do believe it would be called "ending world
>hunger," which is what Peter said.

Which is never going to happen until the "getting them to pay for it"
mentality is lost. Which isn't going to happen in my lifetime, I
suspect. :-(

Andrew Swallow

Mar 8, 2005, 10:07:51 AM3/8/05
Paul Harper wrote:

> On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 00:32:10 +0000 (UTC), Methuselah Jones
> <methu...@altgeek.org> wrote:

[snip]

>>If one accomplished that I do believe it would be called "ending world
>>hunger," which is what Peter said.
>

> Which is never going to happen until the "getting them to pay for it"
> mentality is lost. Which isn't going to happen in my lifetime, I
> suspect. :-(

For obvious reasons, systems based on exploitation of the workers do not
work for very long. Like a lot of charities you are suggesting methods
of curing world hunger based on exploiting the farmers who grow the food
and the western industrial workers who have to pay for it.

Andrew Swallow

Paul Harper

Mar 8, 2005, 1:58:27 PM3/8/05

Who live in cultures that have never exploited the third world in
their entire existence, of course.

Ah.... Apart from the last several hundred years, of course. Apart
from that, our consciences are clear.

Well that's okay then.

Rob Perkins

Mar 8, 2005, 2:05:25 PM3/8/05
Paul Harper wrote:

>>>We have sufficient food to feed the hungry. The problems are getting
>>>the food to them and providing a way for them to pay for it.
>>
>>If one accomplished that I do believe it would be called "ending world
>>hunger," which is what Peter said.
>

> Which is never going to happen until the "getting them to pay for it"
> mentality is lost. Which isn't going to happen in my lifetime, I
> suspect. :-(

Andrew didn't say "getting them to pay for it". He said, "providing a

way for them to pay for it."

There's a difference there. I have to pay for everything I have, but
where I live there is a way for me to do it.

I rather think most people, given an opportunity to work for their
means, will walk up to that opportunity and take it, if it in fact
liberates them.

Rob

Paul Harper

Mar 8, 2005, 2:30:02 PM3/8/05

Agreed in principle. I just think that after several hundred years of
oppression and slavery, they've kinda got a bit in the bank already.

Others' mileage may vary on this matter, of course.

Peter B. Juul

Mar 8, 2005, 10:30:44 PM3/8/05
Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> writes:

> We have sufficient food to feed the hungry. The problems are getting
> the food to them and providing a way for them to pay for it.

OK. So yo would build a five mile space station to distribute food?

And you completely forgot about the cool car.

--
Peter B. Juul, o.-.o "Could it possibly get uglier? I used to be a
The RockBear. ((^)) highly respected Watcher and now I'm a wounded

Andrew Swallow

Mar 8, 2005, 11:27:01 PM3/8/05
Peter B. Juul wrote:
> Andrew Swallow <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> writes:
>

>>We have sufficient food to feed the hungry. The problems are getting
>>the food to them and providing a way for them to pay for it.
>

> OK. So yo would build a five mile space station to distribute food?
>
> And you completely forgot about the cool car.

Refrigerated lorries would be more effective for transporting food.

Andrew Swallow

Rob Perkins

Mar 9, 2005, 12:50:32 AM3/9/05
Paul Harper wrote:

> Agreed in principle. I just think that after several hundred years of
> oppression and slavery, they've kinda got a bit in the bank already.

The nasty sides of reparations rear an ugly head. Whatever else is true
today, "*I* didn't personally oppress anyone overseas" is bound to be
uttered by anyone who sees a hand in front of them for the money.

Forgiving foreign debt might be a good idea, if and only if all the
redirected funds can be reclaimed from past dictators and tyrants. Maybe
it's a good idea even without that bit.

Rob

Paul Harper

Mar 9, 2005, 4:08:00 AM3/9/05

Not needed. A raft of desalination setups and seeds to plant and grow
would be best (IMO, of course).

Andrew Swallow

Mar 9, 2005, 10:28:48 AM3/9/05
Paul Harper wrote:

> On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 04:27:01 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Swallow
> <am.sw...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
>

>>Peter B. Juul wrote:

>>>OK. So yo would build a five mile space station to distribute food?
>>>
>>>And you completely forgot about the cool car.
>>>

>>Refrigerated lorries would be more effective for transporting food.
>

> Not needed. A raft of desalination setups and seeds to plant and grow
> would be best (IMO, of course).

Desalination only works by the sea. The people starving to death are
too far inland. We may be able to pipe water to people and cities but
not the vast amount needed by crops.

Andrew Swallow

Paul Harper

Mar 9, 2005, 10:49:58 AM3/9/05

We *could* do both. We won't, of course, but we could...

It didn't take long to take advantage of the "liberation" of
Afghanistan to run that oil pipline through the whole country, did it.

John Duncan Yoyo

Mar 9, 2005, 11:48:05 AM3/9/05
<kos...@comcast.net> wrote:

>Though I am curious what kind of buzz the NW Dr. Who is generating over
>there. I've still heard NOTHING about it here, except on the internet.

If your really curious some of it has leaked out already via bit
torrent. This just came through on Reuters today.

I can't get BT to work for me but I think that is because I like to
keep my network more secure than it will allow.

<http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=597&e=2&u=/nm/20050309/tv_nm/media_bbc_dc>
tiny version <http://tinyurl.com/5fbwc>.
--
John Duncan Yoyo
------------------------------o)
Brought to you by the Binks for Senate campaign comittee.
Coruscant is far, far away from wesa on Naboo.

John Duncan Yoyo

Mar 9, 2005, 11:54:47 AM3/9/05
On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 19:37:07 +0000 (UTC), "Tom" <nps...@yahoo.com>
wrote:

>Paul Harper wrote:
>> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 18:20:37 +0000 (UTC), "caryn dunkel"
>> <c.du...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>
>> >(I don't recall Ian
>> >McShane ever being on Doctor Who so I'm not at all sure why it's
>relevant)
>>
>> Speaking of which, the new series of Dr Who starts over here in a few
>> weeks. I don't know if BBC America will carry it for our American
>> cousins, but here's hoping.

>I hope so. The last channel in my area to carry (the original series)
>(wybe in phila.) just dropped it. They are airing red dwarf in its
>place now. I know I could dust off my 10+ year old vhs recordings, but
>its much more fun to see it on public tv even after all these years.
>It would be nice to see the new one succeed as well.

I just Checked MPT in Maryland and they still have the Doctor listed
for midnights on Saturday at least un till the end of the month. They
are showing Pertwee right now. They have been airing him there for
over a decade. I've heard the BBC is not selling the rights to air
the Doctor right now but MPT may have a very long term contract.

John Duncan Yoyo

Mar 9, 2005, 12:00:28 PM3/9/05
On Tue, 8 Mar 2005 01:16:04 +0000 (UTC), Wendy of NJ
<voxw...@gmail.com> wrote:

>that mostly forgettable Dr Who movie featuring American actors (one of
>the Arquettes? Or some other fellow with pouty lips that I can't place
>at the moment) was shown on ABC (I think) or another of the "big 3"
>networks.

It was those bastards[1] at FOX. Paul McGann is British but I'd
prefer if they wrote the whole thing away as McCoy's nightmare. It
has turned up fairly frequently on SCI FI.

[1] Having started and killed so many SF series without really giving
them a chance earned them the title.

Gropo

Mar 10, 2005, 9:02:22 AM3/10/05
I guess Lovejoy was right. He should have turned downed the script.
Some folks don't like SciFi, and I guess he's one of em.

I'm renting Deadwood from Netflix, and loving it.

I think, however, that if he really wanted to probe his past for
embarrasing moments, he might look at MST taking apart
Codename:Diamondhead.

But of course on the Leno show, telling a story about Martin Sheen with
a third eye stuck to his forehead does make for more laughs and
recognition than Mike and the Bots.