B5:LotR TLaDiS - Some Observations, Questions, etc. (SPOILERS for B5:LotR TLaDiS)

Mac Breck

Jan 20, 2002, 11:36:36 PM1/20/02
[ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set. ]

SPOILER SPACE for B5:LotR TLaDiS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
0

The Enfali is in a firefight with some raider fighters. Since when have
raiders ever been able to do serious damage to a Minbari vessel, and why are
no Nials around? Since when do raider fighters have aft guns? Well, we
really don't know a lot about the context of the firefight that might
explain why no other ships were with the Enfali, or why we saw no Sharlins
in the entire movie, or why we only saw Nials and Whitestars at Minbar, and
possibly at B5. This has me wondering what type of ship the Enfali is, and
when it was built.

Tannier? The same Tannier from Learning Curve? I'd have double checked the
actors name but every airing of TLaDiS had scrunched credits (ARGH!).

I think hyperspace looked better in Lightwave. Also, the new jumppoints
seem to persist much longer than usual, before collapsing.

What happened to the bodies of the immediately previous crew of the Liandra?
Who attacked them, when were they attacked, and who betrayed them?

In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of his
face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet. Kafka was on the Valen
at the time. It appears Dulann is a prophet, in addition to being a teep.
This couldn't be a vision the ghosts were sending him, unless another of
Kafka's race had been similarly beaten up. However, the ghost said he
didn't see the face of his betrayer.

Liandra is 20 years old in 2264, so it was built in 2244, before the
Earth-Minbari war. It's a small vessel and yet it *has* jump engines.
Seems odd, since Sheridan thought it was a big deal when he found out that
the Whitestar, another small vessel, had jump engines (2260).

What's the deal with engine glow? The Valen's engines glow, and the
Liandra's do not. Sharlins and Nials engines don't glow, but Whitestars and
those of the Victory class do. Is there any plan to this? You'd think that
all Minbari gravitic propulsion systems would not glow, just like a
Sharlin's don't glow.

The Valen has weapons, so why were they never fired? Maybe they were fired
but we never saw them fired.

Why enter the tail of the comet? Why not just put the comet between you and
the enemy ship. You don't have to be *in* the tail.

How is it possible to lose people for any amount of time at all on that
small of a ship?

The Valen was hit 13 times with the green energy bolts from the enemy ships.
At that point, status was "Engines hit, rear decks on fire." Then it was
hit 4 more times with the green energy bolts. Status was then "Weapons
gone. Engines, full burn." Then it was hit 13 more times with the green
energy bolts. Then, the Ram occurred (Thank the Great Maker, "Ramming Speed"
was not uttered.). Evidently the Valen was really good at taking damage,
and not so good at dishing it out.

The Liandra intercepted one green energy bolt meant for the Valen. Why
didn't it *try* to intercept the large, white energy bolt that the enemy
fired at the planet?

The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times with her
fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?) blowing pieces
off the enemy ships. These were ships of the great enemy (admittedly toys,
given by "The Hand" to races who cooperated with them), a race that would
make the Shadows appear like insects. I can't see the Liandra making any
headway against a Shadow Battlecrab. "Seems" inconsistent.

The Liandra is hit by one green energy bolt, and suffers significant damage
(Dulann is very seriously injured.). Then, it's hit by one pinkish-white
energy bolt (definitely never was green), two mines, and 2 or 3 more
pinkish-white energy bolts. I've got to wonder what's the difference
between the green and the pinkish-white energy bolts.

Minister Kafka's race appears to be to The Hand, what the Drakh were to the
Shadows.

All in all, I *liked* the movie. It just felt a bit like it was not the B5
universe, a bit foreign, because of the lack of familiar Minbari ships
(except in extreme distant shots, in background only), lack of traditional
Minbari ship weaponry (green slicer beam, which even Nials had as far back
as 2248), the weird look of hyperspace (mostly hyperspace itself, but also
the jumppoints), and the weird space backdrop at B5. What's happened
between 2262 and 2264, that got back to normal for 2267? Yes, I know.
"Maya." *Please go back to Lightwave.* B5 and Crusade looked better.

While I thought all of the actors did a great job, it looks like Alex Zahara
has been playing Dulann all his life. Man, this guy is just incredible!
The chemistry between David and Dulann is right there, from the very
beginning. I'm reminded of G'Kar and Londo, and Londo and Garibaldi. There
was only one time a line made me wince, and that was when Sarah said "And
another wise man said, It ain't over 'till it's over." It wasn't the line,
but rather the delivery. Then there was Sarah's expressions and long
utterance when she was going nuts destroying the mines. That was a bit
much. Seemed over the top. Not her motions when destroying the mines, but
rather the expressions and the utterance. It was a strange thing. I was
smiling broadly at what she accomplished, but at the same time thinking
"That was over the top." Ahh, maybe it's just me. When things start to get
that hot & heavy, I tend to go the other way and get icy and silent.

JMS, regarding G'Kar's mention of Lyta (not by name), G'Kar's "conversation"
with Sheridan (not shown), and G'Kar asking David if he was going to visit
the station, YOU ARE SUCH A TEASE!

Mac Breck
------------------------

http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/ http://www.b5lr.com/

Matt Ion

Jan 21, 2002, 1:26:41 AM1/21/02
[posted and mailed]

"Mac Breck" <macb...@access995.com> wrote in

Context is everything. There are plenty of reasons the Enfali could be in
that situation. It doesn't "look" like any standard fighter/attack vessel;
it could have been on any number of other missions and simply stumbled across
the Raiders, or across the Raiders in the process of attacking someone else,
or...

> Tannier? The same Tannier from Learning Curve? I'd have double
> checked the actors name but every airing of TLaDiS had scrunched
> credits (ARGH!).

IMDB lists Todd Sandomirsky as playing Tannier in Rangers
(http://us.imdb.com/Name?Sandomirsky,+Todd). Lists a couple other movie and
TV credits but none of them B5. Lurker's Guide lists Brendan Ford as
Tannier.

Doesn't mean it's not the same character, of course... I totally missed them
being the same name. Thinking back on it, though, the character sort of
fits.

> I think hyperspace looked better in Lightwave. Also, the new
> jumppoints seem to persist much longer than usual, before collapsing.

I noticed that...

> What happened to the bodies of the immediately previous crew of the
> Liandra? Who attacked them, when were they attacked, and who betrayed
> them?

We're specifically NOT told, judging by the fact that a big deal is made of
that mystery several times. I fully expect Joe's got that planned to be
revealed gradually in the series.

> In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
> systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of
> his face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet. Kafka was on
> the Valen at the time. It appears Dulann is a prophet, in addition to
> being a teep. This couldn't be a vision the ghosts were sending him,
> unless another of Kafka's race had been similarly beaten up. However,
> the ghost said he didn't see the face of his betrayer.

But, it's possible that the original traitor on the Liandra WAS of the same
race, and DIDN'T escape or survive the rest of the crew. The crewman who
left the encoded message ASSUMED that the traitor would have escaped, but
it's possible he died along with the rest of the crew.

It's also possible another of Kafka's race was a part of the previous crew
and was NOT a traitor, although that doesn't create the any real
foreshadowing and wouldn't serve much purpose to show it.

> Liandra is 20 years old in 2264, so it was built in 2244, before the
> Earth-Minbari war. It's a small vessel and yet it *has* jump engines.
> Seems odd, since Sheridan thought it was a big deal when he found out
> that the Whitestar, another small vessel, had jump engines (2260).

Coulda been retro-fitted...

> Why enter the tail of the comet? Why not just put the comet between
> you and the enemy ship. You don't have to be *in* the tail.

Yeah, I thought of that too. Not as dramatic :)

> How is it possible to lose people for any amount of time at all on that
> small of a ship?

Lots of little nooks and crannies. Or long hallways and closets :)

> The Liandra intercepted one green energy bolt meant for the Valen. Why
> didn't it *try* to intercept the large, white energy bolt that the
> enemy fired at the planet?

Looked to me like by the time they saw it, it was already too late. Likely
the ship that fired it was already between the Liandra and the planet.

> The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times
> with her fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?)
> blowing pieces off the enemy ships. These were ships of the great
> enemy (admittedly toys, given by "The Hand" to races who cooperated
> with them), a race that would make the Shadows appear like insects. I
> can't see the Liandra making any headway against a Shadow Battlecrab.
> "Seems" inconsistent.

Or Kafka was bullsh*tting...

> Minister Kafka's race appears to be to The Hand, what the Drakh were to
> the Shadows.

Maybe not the Drakh, since the Drakh were long-time servants of the Shadows.
Several other younger races also joined up with the Shadows, though, when
they began returning to power. Sounds like Kafka's people were more along
these lines.

> All in all, I *liked* the movie. It just felt a bit like it was not
> the B5 universe, a bit foreign, because of the lack of familiar Minbari
> ships (except in extreme distant shots, in background only), lack of
> traditional Minbari ship weaponry (green slicer beam, which even Nials
> had as far back as 2248), the weird look of hyperspace (mostly
> hyperspace itself, but also the jumppoints), and the weird space
> backdrop at B5. What's happened between 2262 and 2264, that got back
> to normal for 2267? Yes, I know. "Maya." *Please go back to
> Lightwave.* B5 and Crusade looked better.

I did note a distinct lack of beam weapons AT ALL. No particle/projectile
weapons familiar from the B5 universe, either. Everyone had the same kinda
plasma-ball weapons.

As for the software issue... I expect it's more an issue of different
designers and operator than the software itself.

> While I thought all of the actors did a great job, it looks like Alex
> Zahara has been playing Dulann all his life. Man, this guy is just
> incredible!

You should see him without the makeup; he's halfway to looking Minbari
already (Sorry, Alex ;)

> There was only one time a line made me wince, and that was
> when Sarah said "And another wise man said, It ain't over 'till it's
> over." It wasn't the line, but rather the delivery.

Agreed there...

> Then there was
> Sarah's expressions and long utterance when she was going nuts
> destroying the mines. That was a bit much. Seemed over the top. Not
> her motions when destroying the mines, but rather the expressions and
> the utterance. It was a strange thing. I was smiling broadly at what
> she accomplished, but at the same time thinking "That was over the
> top." Ahh, maybe it's just me. When things start to get that hot &
> heavy, I tend to go the other way and get icy and silent.

Nope, I found all the screaming and stuff a little much. Which is fine, it
may just be her personality. And keep in mind that the majority of Myriam
Sirois's previous work was strictly voice work, so she has less experience
with "facial acting".

I caught a few other interesting little things.

Your friend and mine,
Matt
<All standard disclaimers apply>
"Reality is in alpha test on protoype hardware."

Dylan Hankel

Jan 21, 2002, 4:57:23 AM1/21/02

"Mac Breck" <macb...@access995.com> wrote in message
> [...]

You're definitely heavy into tech spec discussion which I'm not too skilled
at so I'll pick and choose what I reply to here. :D

> The Enfali is in a firefight with some raider fighters. Since when have
> raiders ever been able to do serious damage to a Minbari vessel, and why
are
> no Nials around?

The Raiders have always been really resourceful. I figure an upgrade maybe?

> Tannier? The same Tannier from Learning Curve? I'd have double checked
the
> actors name but every airing of TLaDiS had scrunched credits (ARGH!).

Now that you mention it, he does look kind of familiar. That'd be really
cool if it's true.

> I think hyperspace looked better in Lightwave. Also, the new jumppoints
> seem to persist much longer than usual, before collapsing.

I don't like the new jumpoints much. I thought the improved jumpoints in
ACtA were better. I always liked the way the old jumppoints would do a
really tight, steady yet fast 'zoom.' The new jumppoints just kinda leap
forward. (artfully avoiding a pun involving 'jump.')

@What happened to the bodies of the immediately previous crew of the

Liandra?
Who attacked them, when were they attacked, and who betrayed them?

That's exactly what I thought and it's an interesting little puzzle which
made me wonder if that backstory will have a lot to do with the future arc?

>It appears Dulann is a prophet, in addition to being a teep.

As I mentioned in my thread below, if the series is a go, it will be
interesting to see how Dulann's abilities figure into the rest of the arc
and if they become evolved, ect.

>The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times with
her
> fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?) blowing pieces
> off the enemy ships. These were ships of the great enemy (admittedly
toys,
> given by "The Hand" to races who cooperated with them), a race that would
> make the Shadows appear like insects. I can't see the Liandra making any
> headway against a Shadow Battlecrab. "Seems" inconsistent.

I totally agree. This is one thing that doesn't click. For now. One thing's
for sure, if they're going to defeat the Hand they're going to need a lot
more than the Liandra. Given how Kafka described the Hand, the Liandra going
up against them would seem the equivalent of a Starfury trying to attack a
Vorlon planet killer. Obviously something will happen in the future which
will help them. The only thing I can think of is they either find a super
weapon left over by the race/s that drove the Hand into the other dimension
or they somehow find and ally themselves with that race/s.

> Minister Kafka's race appears to be to The Hand, what the Drakh were to
the
> Shadows.

I thought the face mask design for Kafka was really imaginative and exotic.
Wouldn't see an alien that cool on Trek too often where all it takes is a
small defect on the nose, forhead or ear to be an "alien." That's what I've
always loved about B5. The aliens just blow away Trek's. Especially the
Shadows and Vorlons which IMHO are the penultimate aliens for any series in
terms of appearance and behavior.

> All in all, I *liked* the movie. It just felt a bit like it was not the
B5
> universe, a bit foreign,

I say, give it some time. If it goes to series I'm sure it'll widen out to
more familiar terms. I just think jms is going for a really different feel
to the story this time. The thought the fact that there's a race that could
crush the Shadows at will is very sobering IMHO and makes the fight our crew
has ahead of them seem really overwhelming and foreboding.

> While I thought all of the actors did a great job, it looks like Alex
Zahara
> has been playing Dulann all his life. Man, this guy is just incredible!
> The chemistry between David and Dulann is right there, from the very
> beginning.

I couldn't agree more. He brings him to life every bit as beleivable as
Katsulas does for G'Kar. The timing between him and Martel is excellent.
"Tannier has been handed control of the Valen." *BUMP* 'OW!' "Was that your
head?" :)

>There was only one time a line made me wince, and that was when Sarah said
"And
> another wise man said, It ain't over 'till it's over." It wasn't the
line,
> but rather the delivery.

I had no problem with this line. It seemed Sarah's way of cutting through
all the constant Valen quoting everyone else keeps doing. :) I really like
Sarah a lot so far. There's somehting about her that's so natural and
relaxed I can't quite pin it. And the fact that I find her even better
looking than Lyta helps too. :D

>Then there was Sarah's expressions and long utterance when she was going
nuts destroying the mines. That was a bit much.

I may be the only one that really LOVED how Sarah became one with the weapon
system (although as you pointed out before the Liandra is so old, to which I
add the advanced weapon system Sarah uses seems out of place, but oh well,
still dig it). I thought it was a really nice change of pace from all the
outer ship views of weapons fire we're so used to seeing while all we get to
go with it are a couple of nameless Minbari ensigns tapping on a couple of
control panels. :) The only part I didn't like was when she was going crazy
with her mouth open screaming as she blew up the enemy targets as you said.
It would've been better if she just looked really nervous/determined and
then did a close up on her face and eyes just as she blew them up.

>JMS, regarding G'Kar's mention of Lyta (not by name),

Hearing this reminded me of how great it would've been if she could have
been in the Path of Sorrows as an end for her character.

>G'Kar's "conversation" with Sheridan (not shown), and G'Kar asking David if
he was going to visit
the station, YOU ARE SUCH A TEASE!

I'll never forget the sober and quiet expression on G'Kar's face when he
comments on Babylon 5 just as he is saying "It is quite a place."

LoTR? Loved it. 4/5 stars all the way. I just hope we get to see Whitestars
fighting alonside the Liandra someday if it goes to series.

Dylan H.

Joseph DeMartino

Jan 21, 2002, 1:44:29 AM1/21/02

"Mac Breck" <macb...@access995.com> wrote in message
> Since when have raiders ever been able to do serious damage to a
Minbari vessel? <

It is 2265, a couple of years since we've seen raiders. Why couldn't
they have upgraded their ships and equipment. Must have been a lot of
surplus hardware for sale in the wake of the Shadow War and related
troubles.

> Well, we really don't know a lot about the context of the firefight...
<

Which makes getting worked up about it pretty pointless.

> ... why we saw no Sharlins in the entire movie, or why we only saw

Nials and Whitestars at Minbar, and possibly at B5. This has me
wondering what type of ship the Enfali is, and when it was built. <

There happened not to be any around? They were off doing other things?
Sharlins are Warrior Caste ships, not Rangers vessels. Maybe homeworld
security has been turned over to the Rangers since the IA moved in, and
the Sharlins are protecting the Minbari colonies. Who *cares*? The
story was not, "The Search for the Missing Sharlins"

> Tannier? The same Tannier from Learning Curve? I'd have double
checked the
> actors name but every airing of TLaDiS had scrunched credits (ARGH!).
<

Probably not. Who said that Minbari names are unique? Maybe Tannier is
the Minbari version of "John" or something. Every tenth Minbari male
could be called Tannier.

> I think hyperspace looked better in Lightwave. Also, the new
jumppoints
> seem to persist much longer than usual, before collapsing.

> What happened to the bodies of the immediately previous crew of the
Liandra?
> Who attacked them, when were they attacked, and who betrayed them?

1. They were missing when the ship was found. 2. We don't know, we
don't know, and we don't know. Except that it was probably connected
with this Hand business. Presumably these are mysteries that will be
address in the series, rather like the hole in Sinclair's mind, and the
reason for the Minbari surrender.

> This couldn't be a vision the ghosts were sending him, unless another
of
> Kafka's race had been similarly beaten up. However, the ghost said he
> didn't see the face of his betrayer.

Maybe one of the other ghosts *did* see his face and sent the image.
Maybe the traitor himself was somehow killed and also haunts the
Liandra.

> Liandra is 20 years old in 2264, so it was built in 2244, before the
> Earth-Minbari war. It's a small vessel and yet it *has* jump engines.
> Seems odd, since Sheridan thought it was a big deal when he found out
that
> the Whitestar, another small vessel, had jump engines (2260).

Hard to say *how* small though. It was difficult to judge scale in the
spaceport. Maybe Liandra is bigger than a White Star, or maybe the
Minbari developed a few of the Liandra-class secretly during the war
with Earth, and nobody *knows* that a ship that small with a jump engine
was ever built. The White Star was the first vessel the Minbari ever
*admitted* to owning that could do that and Sheridan, not knowing any
better, thought it was the first and the smallest.

> What's the deal with engine glow? The Valen's engines glow, and the
> Liandra's do not. Sharlins and Nials engines don't glow, but
Whitestars and
> those of the Victory class do. Is there any plan to this? You'd
think that
> all Minbari gravitic propulsion systems would not glow, just like a
> Sharlin's don't glow.

The glowing engines are *not* the Minbari gravitic propulsion system.
They are clearly reaction engines of some sort (hence the glow and
commands like "full burn" which would not apply to a gravity drive.)
Maybe an auxilliary propulsion system for use in tight spaces, at great
distances from planetary or solar masses (which the grav-drive
presumably needs to function well) or when the gravity drive is damaged
or off-line. (Like the case in "Rangers")

> The Valen has weapons, so why were they never fired? Maybe they were
fired
> but we never saw them fired.

I think they were hit from behind before they could bring any guns to
bear. After that they were mostly dealing with evacuating the
civilians, fighting internal fires, and sealing off areas that were
venting to space.

> Why enter the tail of the comet? Why not just put the comet between
you and
> the enemy ship. You don't have to be *in* the tail.

Got me. Probably because it looke cooler. <g>

> How is it possible to lose people for any amount of time at all on
that
> small of a ship?

Like I said, maybe its bigger than you think. We never saw it against
anything that really gave it scale. (Given that we don't know how big
the Valen is, that isn't much of a help.)

> The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times
with her
> fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?) blowing
pieces
> off the enemy ships. These were ships of the great enemy (admittedly
toys,
> given by "The Hand" to races who cooperated with them), a race that
would
> make the Shadows appear like insects. I can't see the Liandra making
any
> headway against a Shadow Battlecrab. "Seems" inconsistent.

Not at all, since you answer your own question (and contradict it) in
your own parenthetical comment. "These were ships of the great enemy, a
race that would make the Shadows appear like insects" Stated that way,
your objection make sense. But you also say "admittedly toys, given by
the Hand to races who cooperated with them." In other words, NOT ships
of the great enemy. *Toys* of the great enemy that they trusted the
younger races with. *Inferior* ships. No surprise the Liandra could
fight them. (20 year old ship? But built by a culture that has been in
space for over 1,000 years. Somehow I don't think Minbari technology
has evolved a great deal since the E-M war. I don't think the pressures
to force technological change exist on Minbar to the degree they do on
Earth.)

> The Liandra is hit by one green energy bolt, and suffers significant
damage
> (Dulann is very seriously injured.). Then, it's hit by one
pinkish-white
> energy bolt (definitely never was green), two mines, and 2 or 3 more
> pinkish-white energy bolts. I've got to wonder what's the difference
> between the green and the pinkish-white energy bolts.

I don't. <g> I've never been that interested in the technical nuts and
bolts of this stuff.

> Minister Kafka's race appears to be to The Hand, what the Drakh were
to the
> Shadows.

I don't trust such analogies. They're too neat, and too obvious. JMS
is sneakier than that.

> All in all, I *liked* the movie. It just felt a bit like it was not
the B5
> universe, a bit foreign, because of the lack of familiar Minbari ships

Not being a "ship person" I didn't even *notice* any of these things,
much less fret about them. I saw Minbar, I saw G'Kar, I knew which
universe I was in.

Agreed that the actors were very good. I think Myriam is taking a lot
of heat for playing a scene the way it was probably written or for
giving director Mike Vejar exactly what he wanted. Actors are often
gigged (unfairly) for "performances" that are either mandated by the
director or created (from several takes) in the editing rom.

> JMS, regarding G'Kar's mention of Lyta (not by name), G'Kar's
"conversation"
> with Sheridan (not shown), and G'Kar asking David if he was going to
visit
> the station, YOU ARE SUCH A TEASE!

He's evil, I tell you, evil. <g>

Jms at B5

Jan 21, 2002, 2:14:23 AM1/21/02

>The Enfali is in a firefight with some raider fighters. Since when have
>raiders ever been able to do serious damage to a Minbari vessel, and why are
>no Nials around?

Even a lion can be brought down by a pack of smaller predators. The Enfalli
was alone and the pursuit was a long one, and they just kept taking hit after
hit.

> Since when do raider fighters have aft guns?

Raider fighter craft come in as many variations as human fighter craft. The
error is in thinking monolithically.

>or why we only saw Nials and Whitestars at Minbar, and
>possibly at B5.

Bear in mind that there were only ever about a hundred, maybe a hundred and
fifty whitestars built during the Shadow War. A LOT of those got wiped out
during said war, so now you've got maybe 80 or so. You conserve your best
ships for big jobs, you don't have them doing this kind of grunt work.

>Tannier? The same Tannier from Learning Curve? I'd have double checked the
>actors name but every airing of TLaDiS had scrunched credits

Meant to be the same character, but it's not the same actor.

>I think hyperspace looked better in Lightwave. Also, the new jumppoints
>seem to persist much longer than usual, before collapsing.

Hyperspace is now *much* more complex than it was using lightwave, with more
levels. It was always meant to look pretty hellish, but we could never quite
pull it off with lightwave, it always looked 2d. This is more what I
originally had in mind.

>In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
>systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of his
>face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet.

Recheck your tape...that shot ain't there.

>Liandra is 20 years old in 2264, so it was built in 2244, before the
>Earth-Minbari war. It's a small vessel and yet it *has* jump engines.
>Seems odd, since Sheridan thought it was a big deal when he found out that
>the Whitestar, another small vessel, had jump engines (2260).

He also didn't know everything about Minbari ships and classes.

>The Valen has weapons, so why were they never fired? Maybe they were fired
>but we never saw them fired.

The Valen never had time to fire; they were hit within a second of the hand
ships coming out of hyperspace (actually *as* they were coming out)...the hits
disabled most of the systems on the new ship (you can see eruptions all over
the bridge). The weapons systems were intact elsewhere, but the control
mechanisms were down. That's why they kept hammering the Valen, to make sure
it wouldn't be able to fire.

>Why enter the tail of the comet? Why not just put the comet between you and
>the enemy ship. You don't have to be *in* the tail.

Two-dimensional thinking. Only works if the comet is directly between you and
the enemy. If it moves at any other angle, you're revealed.

>How is it possible to lose people for any amount of time at all on that
>small of a ship?

Given the small ins and outs and access hatches and panels and sub-halls and
the like...real possible.

>The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times with her
>fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?)

Not a big enough ship with a big enough power source.

>I can't see the Liandra making any
>headway against a Shadow Battlecrab. "Seems" inconsistent.

It wasn't a shadow battlecrab. It was tough, but it wasn't one of those. The
hand wouldn't give out that kind of power to flunkies.

jms

(jms...@aol.com)
and don't send me story ideas)

Aisling Willow Grey

Jan 21, 2002, 3:37:26 PM1/21/02
[ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set. ]

>>Mac Breck wrote:

<snip>

> In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
> systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of his
> face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet. Kafka was on the Valen
> at the time. It appears Dulann is a prophet, in addition to being a teep.
> This couldn't be a vision the ghosts were sending him, unless another of
> Kafka's race had been similarly beaten up. However, the ghost said he
> didn't see the face of his betrayer.<<

Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
According to SciFi's credits page (which is necessary, as they SQUASHED
the credits even on the _first_ run of the film, arggghhhh!!!), the
correct spelling of the various alien names new to us are as follows:

Dulann
Na'Feel
Minister Kafta
Tafeek
Firell
Tirk
Sindell

Aisling Grey (while we're on names, since many often ask, it's ASH-ling)
* * *
Proud driver of a Rangers-wrapped car:
http://www.fjordstone.com/gcar.html
And now new and improved wrapped car pictures at
http://www.fjordstone.com/gcar2.html

Mac Breck

Jan 21, 2002, 3:39:41 PM1/21/02
[ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set. ]

> > Tannier? The same Tannier from Learning Curve? I'd have double
> > checked the actors name but every airing of TLaDiS had scrunched
> > credits (ARGH!).
>
> IMDB lists Todd Sandomirsky as playing Tannier in Rangers
> (http://us.imdb.com/Name?Sandomirsky,+Todd). Lists a couple other movie
and
> TV credits but none of them B5. Lurker's Guide lists Brendan Ford as
> Tannier.
>
> Doesn't mean it's not the same character, of course... I totally missed
them
> being the same name. Thinking back on it, though, the character sort of
> fits.

JMS said same character, different actor.

> > The Liandra intercepted one green energy bolt meant for the Valen. Why
> > didn't it *try* to intercept the large, white energy bolt that the
> > enemy fired at the planet?
>
> Looked to me like by the time they saw it, it was already too late.
Likely
> the ship that fired it was already between the Liandra and the planet.
>
> > The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times
> > with her fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?)
> > blowing pieces off the enemy ships. These were ships of the great
> > enemy (admittedly toys, given by "The Hand" to races who cooperated
> > with them), a race that would make the Shadows appear like insects. I
> > can't see the Liandra making any headway against a Shadow Battlecrab.
> > "Seems" inconsistent.
>
> Or Kafka was bullsh*tting...

JMS has indicated that The Hand gave these ships to their cronies, and the
ships are not the level of tech of The Hand, but rather are what The Hand
would consider to be "toys."

> > Minister Kafka's race appears to be to The Hand, what the Drakh were to
> > the Shadows.
>
> Maybe not the Drakh, since the Drakh were long-time servants of the
Shadows.
> Several other younger races also joined up with the Shadows, though, when
> they began returning to power. Sounds like Kafka's people were more along
> these lines.
>
> > All in all, I *liked* the movie. It just felt a bit like it was not
> > the B5 universe, a bit foreign, because of the lack of familiar Minbari
> > ships (except in extreme distant shots, in background only), lack of
> > traditional Minbari ship weaponry (green slicer beam, which even Nials
> > had as far back as 2248), the weird look of hyperspace (mostly
> > hyperspace itself, but also the jumppoints), and the weird space
> > backdrop at B5. What's happened between 2262 and 2264, that got back
> > to normal for 2267? Yes, I know. "Maya." *Please go back to
> > Lightwave.* B5 and Crusade looked better.
>
> I did note a distinct lack of beam weapons AT ALL. No particle/projectile
> weapons familiar from the B5 universe, either. Everyone had the same
kinda
> plasma-ball weapons.

Well. the Enfali did use the traditional Minbari green slicer beam once,
that we saw.

Strikes me as a GVFX limitation. Maybe they didn't have enough time or
money. It was probably caused by the switch from Lightwave to Maya, and
they couldn't get all of the previous B5 stuff translated-over/re-created
(ships, weapons, etc.). We probably only saw the Whitestars and Nials in
the distance because the models and skins were probably not finished enough
to be seen, up close. Why go to different software if you can't at least
achieve the level of what's been done before?

> As for the software issue... I expect it's more an issue of different
> designers and operator than the software itself.

The wheel had already been invented and perfected in Lightwave. *Use* the
wheel. If necessary, tweak it some more, but *don't* go to different
software. To change to Maya is to incur additional work and expense, and
leave yourself open to the possibility of errors and inconsistancies. This
kind of thing really pisses me off. The change makes no sense. There are
times to be conservative, and this was one of them.

> > While I thought all of the actors did a great job, it looks like Alex
> > Zahara has been playing Dulann all his life. Man, this guy is just
> > incredible!
>
> You should see him without the makeup; he's halfway to looking Minbari
> already (Sorry, Alex ;)
>
> > There was only one time a line made me wince, and that was
> > when Sarah said "And another wise man said, It ain't over 'till it's
> > over." It wasn't the line, but rather the delivery.
>
> Agreed there...
>
> > Then there was
> > Sarah's expressions and long utterance when she was going nuts
> > destroying the mines. That was a bit much. Seemed over the top. Not
> > her motions when destroying the mines, but rather the expressions and
> > the utterance. It was a strange thing. I was smiling broadly at what
> > she accomplished, but at the same time thinking "That was over the
> > top." Ahh, maybe it's just me. When things start to get that hot &
> > heavy, I tend to go the other way and get icy and silent.
>
> Nope, I found all the screaming and stuff a little much. Which is fine,
it
> may just be her personality. And keep in mind that the majority of Myriam
> Sirois's previous work was strictly voice work, so she has less experience
> with "facial acting".

Ah, a point I had not considered. :-) You'll have to forgive me. I've
watched the movie 4 times so far.

Mac Breck

Jan 21, 2002, 5:04:54 PM1/21/02
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

Jan 21, 2002, 5:25:15 PM1/21/02
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

Well, since this isn't showing up, and I did go to the trouble to
immediately recheck the tape, I'm re-sending it.

"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >The Enfali is in a firefight with some raider fighters. Since when have
> >raiders ever been able to do serious damage to a Minbari vessel, and why
are
> >no Nials around?
>
> Even a lion can be brought down by a pack of smaller predators.

Definitely.

> The Enfalli
> was alone and the pursuit was a long one, and they just kept taking hit
after
> hit.

Ah, there's the context. :-)

> > Since when do raider fighters have aft guns?
>
> Raider fighter craft come in as many variations as human fighter craft.
The
> error is in thinking monolithically.

No, it's just that in all of B5, I don't think we've *ever* seen a raider
delta wing ship firing rear guns. This doesn't mean that they didn't have
them or that they couldn't be added, or that new model variations wouldn't
have them.

> >I think hyperspace looked better in Lightwave. Also, the new jumppoints
> >seem to persist much longer than usual, before collapsing.
>
> Hyperspace is now *much* more complex than it was using lightwave, with
more
> levels. It was always meant to look pretty hellish, but we could never
quite
> pull it off with lightwave, it always looked 2d. This is more what I
> originally had in mind.

I always thought it looked absolutely *great* in Lightwave, **especially**
in
later seasons of B5 and in Crusade. The version of it in TLaDiS looks lower
res., lacking detail. B5S5 or Crusade would be like an SVHS tape and TLaDiS
would be like a 2nd or 3rd generation copy on VHS. The latter would be
softer, smeary.

> >In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
> >systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of
his
> >face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet.
>
> Recheck your tape...that shot ain't there.

I did. It's there. Here are the exact timing details:

Starting with the "NOW" frame of the trailer.
Then, Sci-Fi's "Saturn" disappears.

Hr:Min:Sec
----------------
00:00:00 1st frame of Sci-Fi Pictures
Teaser
00:03:28 Last frame of Main Titles

...I may have cut a commercial or two...

00:06:29 First frame of Minbari space (ships above Minbar)
Act 1
00:22:46

commercials (I may have cut one or two.)

00:25:02 Small ships flying past the Valen, and over the Liandra (left to
right). Cut to David and Dulann. David slamming cover shut.

00:27:12
Dulann's flash*
00:27:29

*Details of Dulann's flash - frame by frame, counting from the point where
the frames
really start to go by quickly, right before somebody says "There's no way
out:

Frame
---------
01 floor grating
02 floor grating
03 floor grating
04 floor grating
05 bunk
06 bunk
07 bunk
08 bunk
09 overturned chair
10 overturned chair
11 overturned chair
12 overturned chair
13 overturned chair, close
14 overturned chair, close
15 overturned chair, close
16 the bridge
17 the bridge
18 the bridge
19 Dulann
20 Dulann
21 Dulann
22 hallway
23 hallway
24 hallway
25 hallway, closer to floor
26 hallway, closer to floor
27 hallway, closer to floor
28 some structural members
29 some structural members
30 some structural members
31 hallway
32 hallway
33 hallway
34 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway
35 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway
36 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway
37 doorway
38 doorway
39 doorway
40 bridge panel display
41 Dulann
42 bridge panel display
43 Dulann
44 hallway
45 the bridge
46 the bridge
47 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway, close
48 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway, close
49 Dulann
50 hallway
51 Dulann
52 hallway
53 doorway
54 hallway
55 a couple of lighted panels, white, abstract
56 Minister Kafka, beaten on the right side of his face (his right)
57 Minister Kafka, beaten on the right side of his face (his right)
58 Dulann
59 Minister Kafka, beaten on the right side of his face (his right)
60 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway
61 Dulann
62 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway
63 Dulann
64 mostly orange close-up of something; some dark, metallic writing in
between.
65 panel or bulkhead on the side of a hallway, close
66 hallway
67 hallway, closer to floor
68 hallway
69 Dulann
70 doorway
71 Dulann
72 hallway
73 hallway
74 hallway
75 hallway
76 Dulann
77 Dulann
78 Dulann
79 Dulann
80 Dulann
81 Dulann
82 Dulann turns toward David.

I am referring to the three frames of Minister Kafka. They *are* there. If
you want I could send you the tape (if you promise to send it back, when
you're done with it).

> >Liandra is 20 years old in 2264, so it was built in 2244, before the
> >Earth-Minbari war. It's a small vessel and yet it *has* jump engines.
> >Seems odd, since Sheridan thought it was a big deal when he found out
that
> >the Whitestar, another small vessel, had jump engines (2260).
>
> He also didn't know everything about Minbari ships and classes.

> >The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times with
her
> >fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?)
>
> Not a big enough ship with a big enough power source.

Powerful enough to have jump engines, but not powerful enough to have
traditional Minbari green slicer beams, like even Nials have? Well, I guess
it could be a design trade-off.

> >Why enter the tail of the comet? Why not just put the comet between you
and
> >the enemy ship. You don't have to be *in* the tail.
>
> Two-dimensional thinking. Only works if the comet is directly between you
and
> the enemy. If it moves at any other angle, you're revealed.

Not really. The Nav. Officer would stay close to the comet, but outside
it's tail, and would work to keep the comet between the Liandra and the
enemy ship.

> >I can't see the Liandra making any
> >headway against a Shadow Battlecrab. "Seems" inconsistent.
>
> It wasn't a shadow battlecrab. It was tough, but it wasn't one of those.
The
> hand wouldn't give out that kind of power to flunkies.

Not unless they had a way of controlling them, like the Shadows did.

> jms
>
> (jms...@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

ps. What do you call the frames right after the cut back from commercial,
before the actual content of the movie starts again?

Jms at B5

Jan 21, 2002, 6:39:18 PM1/21/02
>Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
>has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
>humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."

Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.

See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.

It was either that or Minister Khibbe.

Jms at B5

Jan 21, 2002, 6:42:06 PM1/21/02
>The wheel had already been invented and perfected in Lightwave. *Use* the
>wheel. If necessary, tweak it some more, but *don't* go to different
>software. To change to Maya is to incur additional work and expense, and
>leave yourself open to the possibility of errors and inconsistancies. This
>kind of thing really pisses me off. The change makes no sense. There are
>times to be conservative, and this was one of them.

Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images. WB
had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were
able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.

Blair Leatherwood

Jan 21, 2002, 7:37:44 PM1/21/02

Jms at B5 wrote:

> >Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
> >has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
> >humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.
>
> See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
> khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.
>
> It was either that or Minister Khibbe.

...and then if you blow him up, you get "Khibbe in bits"...

a dog of a joke, I know.

Aisling Willow Grey

Jan 21, 2002, 8:06:46 PM1/21/02
>>Jms at B5 wrote:

>>Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
>>has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
>>humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>>

> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.<<

Wow, so you are saying that every culture on Earth has this
meatball-like food, but they each call it something different?

<Homer>

Mmmm....breen.

</Homer>

:-)

Aisling Grey

Kurt Ullman

Jan 21, 2002, 7:59:36 PM1/21/02
In article <20020121183918...@mb-fc.aol.com>, jms...@aol.com (Jms
at B5) wrote:
>>Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
>>has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
>>humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
>Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.
>
>See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
>khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.
>
>It was either that or Minister Khibbe.

And vice Minister Bitts??

Kurt (I'll go to my room now) Ullman

------------------
Remember that anecdote is not the singular of data.

Mac Breck

Jan 21, 2002, 8:03:47 PM1/21/02
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

Jan 21, 2002, 10:51:37 PM1/21/02
>Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images. WB
>had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were
>able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
>given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.
>
> jms

You know, I'm starting to understand now why Kubrich had all the sets
and props destroyed from 2001...

Jms at B5

Jan 21, 2002, 8:29:25 PM1/21/02
>ps. What do you call the frames right after the cut back from commercial,
>before the actual content of the movie starts again?

True Black. Don't know if that's the technical term, but that's what I've
always heard them called.

Mike Ross

Jan 21, 2002, 8:33:53 PM1/21/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 17:25:15 -0500, "Mac Breck"
<macb...@access995.com> wrote:

> [ The following text is in the "Windows-1252" character set. ]
> [ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]
> [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]
>
>Well, since this isn't showing up, and I did go to the trouble to
>immediately recheck the tape, I'm re-sending it.
>

>"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

<vast and timeless snips>

>> >In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
>> >systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of
>his
>> >face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet.
>>
>> Recheck your tape...that shot ain't there.
>
>I did. It's there. Here are the exact timing details:

<snip the timing details>

I think the key word is 'vision' - could it be explained as a
flash-forward? Maybe Dulann has a wee bit of the Second Sight in
additon to his established 'sensitivity'?

>> >Liandra is 20 years old in 2264, so it was built in 2244, before the
>> >Earth-Minbari war. It's a small vessel and yet it *has* jump engines.
>> >Seems odd, since Sheridan thought it was a big deal when he found out
>that
>> >the Whitestar, another small vessel, had jump engines (2260).
>>
>> He also didn't know everything about Minbari ships and classes.
>> >The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times with
>her
>> >fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?)
>>
>> Not a big enough ship with a big enough power source.
>
>Powerful enough to have jump engines, but not powerful enough to have
>traditional Minbari green slicer beams, like even Nials have? Well, I guess
>it could be a design trade-off.

That was my thinking at the time... the Nial has the green beams, but
it's definitively a short-range short-duration close combat device.
Probably running the weapons at some ruinous power utilisation - I'd
kinda imagined 80% weapons, 17% propulsion, 3% life support - that's
all it does.

The Liandra however is a full blown (although small and lightly-armed)
starship, with a multi-person crew and a duration of probably
weeks/months.

Mike
http://www.corestore.org
Rangers Catering Corps - 'we boil for the One, we fry for the One'

Aisling Willow Grey

Jan 21, 2002, 8:41:51 PM1/21/02
>>Jms at B5 wrote:

Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."

Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.<<

Mike Ross

Jan 21, 2002, 8:42:11 PM1/21/02
On 21 Jan 2002 23:42:06 GMT, jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote:

>>The wheel had already been invented and perfected in Lightwave. *Use* the
>>wheel. If necessary, tweak it some more, but *don't* go to different
>>software. To change to Maya is to incur additional work and expense, and
>>leave yourself open to the possibility of errors and inconsistancies. This
>>kind of thing really pisses me off. The change makes no sense. There are
>>times to be conservative, and this was one of them.
>>

>Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images. WB
>had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were
>able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
>given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.

No shit? That sucks harder than Jupiter! I guess that pretty much
permanently stuffs the hope (nay, the futile dream) that the CGI might
one day be re-rendered for SuperHDTV or whatever comes along...

On a point of order, is it a big deal/important for us to leave the
synthetic worlds notice intact when following up a JMS post?

> jms
>
>(jms...@aol.com)
>(all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
>permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
>and don't send me story ideas)

Mike

beejmartin

Jan 21, 2002, 8:48:10 PM1/21/02
And then we get soooooooooooo awfully close to "Khibble"...."Minister
Khibble and Bits".... :)

....uh-oh, I think I hear the Narn Bat Squad at my door......

-- Bev Martin

Jan

Jan 21, 2002, 8:44:19 PM1/21/02
JMS wrote:

<<Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.

See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.

It was either that or Minister Khibbe.>>

LOL! Be carefull what you ask for....! As many times as you've been asked
about your character names, this is the one you share!

Still waiting for that humor project,
Jan

Andrew

Jan 21, 2002, 8:56:30 PM1/21/02

> >The wheel had already been invented and perfected in Lightwave. *Use*
the
> >wheel. If necessary, tweak it some more, but *don't* go to different
> >software. To change to Maya is to incur additional work and expense, and
> >leave yourself open to the possibility of errors and inconsistancies.
This
> >kind of thing really pisses me off. The change makes no sense. There
are
> >times to be conservative, and this was one of them.
> >

> Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those
images. WB
> had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season.

<jaw drops>

> All we were
> able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
> given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.

Whoa. Well, then I have to excuse GVFX. They did an *excellent* job
considering what had to be recreated in the short amount of time that they
had. Now, I wish they'd gotten Epsilon III done too, but then, if it ever
goes to series and they go to B5, I'm sure that they'll make it then.

So, if Crusade and Rangers both go to series, will GVFX be handling the
effects for both? Or would Crusade be hired out to another house (Foundation
being my first guess)?

--
Andrew
===============

Daniel Olin Miller

Jan 21, 2002, 11:48:29 PM1/21/02

That's rather cruel, don't you think?

Daniel O. Miller

Here in my car,
The image breaks down,
Will you visit me please,
If I open my door,
In cars...

Thomas Sounness

Jan 21, 2002, 9:26:25 PM1/21/02
Jms at B5 wrote:

> Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images. WB
> had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were
> able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
> given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.

Amazing ... with all the computers, data control, copying options, archive
utilities and everything, you can still find people loosing data like this.
Gremlins - it's gotta be gremlins. (PS - any plans to show the program in Malaysia
at all ... spoilers be damned I need my fix!)

or was it a copyright issue?

Thomas

Thomas Carpenter

Jan 21, 2002, 9:44:58 PM1/21/02

> >Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
> >has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
> >humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.

Swedish, maybe? (Ducking to avoid bat...)

Tom

Mac Breck

Jan 21, 2002, 11:57:48 PM1/21/02
[ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set. ]

Jan 22, 2002, 12:09:18 AM1/22/02
"Andrew" <Arseni...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

I thought I read that Foundation Imaging had gone out of business, but I may
be mistaken.

Jms at B5

Jan 22, 2002, 12:10:07 AM1/22/02
>I am so sorry! What the hell is wrong with
>those people (WB)??? I feel sick to my stomach. All that great work, IS
>LOST?!?!?! Didn't you guys keep copies of the files? the Lightwave models?
>the Lightwave scenes? Backups? Anything?

Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had to be
turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled away at
NDEI was lost when that company went away.

Aisling Willow Grey

Jan 22, 2002, 12:13:39 AM1/22/02
>>Aisling Willow Grey wrote:

> >>Jms at B5 wrote:
>
> Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
> has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
> humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.<<
>

> Wow, so you are saying that every culture on Earth has this
> meatball-like food, but they each call it something different?<<

Errr....ummm...

Okay everybody, just ignore this repost which somehow (pointing wildly
at self) ended up on the WRONG THREAD. Ugh. I had a long day.

Joseph DeMartino

Jan 21, 2002, 9:37:39 PM1/21/02
> See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita,
some
> khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.

I guess we should just be happy the *Valen* wasnt' called the *Hummus*
<g>

Regards,

Joe

Andre Canis

Jan 21, 2002, 9:39:33 PM1/21/02
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) writes:

> >The wheel had already been invented and perfected in Lightwave. *Use* the
> >wheel. If necessary, tweak it some more, but *don't* go to different
> >software. To change to Maya is to incur additional work and expense, and
> >leave yourself open to the possibility of errors and inconsistancies. This
> >kind of thing really pisses me off. The change makes no sense. There are
> >times to be conservative, and this was one of them.
> >

> Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images. WB
> had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were
> able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
> given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.

Wow. I guess this should also put a definite end to those speculations
about re-rendering the FX for widescreen DVDs.

And given Sierras treatment of the B5 game, it's a miracle they didn't
just delete all that stuff long ago just to put another nail in its
coffin.

--
Andre Canis Andre...@web.de

Jeffrey MacHott

Jan 21, 2002, 11:32:58 PM1/21/02

"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
> >has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
> >humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.

What makes this even funnier is the whole Swedish Meatball thing on B5...
:*)

> See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
> khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.
>
> It was either that or Minister Khibbe.

Good thing you weren't eating Tex Mex that night :*) "Minister Guacamole"

--
--Jeffrey MacHott

"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to
pick on rich women than biker gangs."

David Tobias

Jan 22, 2002, 12:31:44 AM1/22/02
"David Tobias" <slig...@optonline.net> wrote in message

my mistake... i think got Foundation confused with Netter's company. but
Foundation is still around

Eliyahu

Jan 22, 2002, 1:23:08 AM1/22/02

"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
> >has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
> >humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.
>
> See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
> khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.
>
> It was either that or Minister Khibbe.

I suppose we should be thankful you hadn't sent out to Taco Bell for dinner
that night... Minister Taco???
--
Eliyahu Rooff
www.geocities.com/Area51/Underworld/8096/HomePage.htm

Matt Ion

Jan 22, 2002, 1:56:12 AM1/22/02
I've often wondered what would happen if someone sent the Narn Bat Squad to
Joe's door...

"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message
> >Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
> >has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
> >humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.
>
> See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
> khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.
>
> It was either that or Minister Khibbe.

Jay Denebeim

Jan 22, 2002, 2:09:05 AM1/22/02
In article <20020121021423...@mb-mo.aol.com>,

Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

>>In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
>>systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of his
>>face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet.
>
>Recheck your tape...that shot ain't there.

Just did. Yes it is there. Two of them in fact, there's a shot of
Kafta for about two frames, an extreme closeup of Dulann for 2 or 3
frames, then another 2 frames of Kafta. It's at about 30 minutes into
the film when Dulann and Martel are first checking out the ship and
Dulann has a vision of some kind. (Yes, I do love my SVHS and HDTV)

Jay
--
I'm looking for a job, for my resume please see:
http://www.deepthot.org:2001/denebeim.html

E. John Roth III

Jan 22, 2002, 3:32:43 AM1/22/02
Jms at B5 wrote:

Jeez that is just Enron fucking stupid - Joe I feel for you man I feel.

E. John Roth III

Gary007Seven

Jan 22, 2002, 3:39:02 AM1/22/02
>>The wheel had already been invented and perfected in Lightwave. *Use* the
>>wheel. If necessary, tweak it some more, but *don't* go to different
>>software. To change to Maya is to incur additional work and expense, and
>>leave yourself open to the possibility of errors and inconsistancies. This
>>kind of thing really pisses me off. The change makes no sense. There are
>>times to be conservative, and this was one of them.
>>

>Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images.
>WB
>had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we

>were
>able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
>given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.
>
> jms

What?! That's Insane!!!
Not for nothing, Joe, but how is it--or why does it seem--that WB
manages to lose or misplace such vital B5 materials, or have them ruined in
some sort of warehouse erosion accident, as was the case with the footage you
looked to resort back to during the making of ITB? I just don't get it, but at
first I was a a bit taken aback by the change in the FX companies and the
switch from Lightwave--now it appears to make a lot more sense than it had to
me previously.
And by the way, weren't the actual Lightwave PCs that the Netter
Digital team used sold off in an auction some time back? Could it be--is it
possible--that they still had a lot of the lost data still stored on them when
they were auctioned off? I have no idea what the storage capacity of those
machines was, nor who ended up purchasing them, but to lose material such as
this is such a shame and a waste. It should have been archived properly for
cryin' out loud.

What a darn shame.
Incidentally, I'm partial to Lightwave due in large part to the affinity
I developed for it while watching B5, but the Maya FX were pretty sharp in a
lot of places and look good too -- I'm conflicted because on the one hand I
want to see FX comparable to those we saw used in B5 --they went a long way
toward setting a visual tone for this universe, but the Maya FX also look to
have a great deal of potential which should only improve with time just like
anything else in that field.

Werner Spahl

Jan 22, 2002, 3:51:26 AM1/22/02
On 22 Jan 2002, Jms at B5 wrote:

> Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had to be
> turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled away at
> NDEI was lost when that company went away.

This is unbelievable! Didn't some of the CGI designers keep their work as
a memory? At least the FI ships are works of art to me and I really can't
understand that WB lost them...

--
Werner Spahl (sp...@cup.uni-muenchen.de) Freedom for

Sir Thomas

Jan 22, 2002, 6:28:20 AM1/22/02
Jms at B5 <jms...@aol.com> wrote:

> >I am so sorry! What the hell is wrong with
> >those people (WB)??? I feel sick to my stomach. All that great work, IS
> >LOST?!?!?! Didn't you guys keep copies of the files? the Lightwave
models?
> >the Lightwave scenes? Backups? Anything?
>
> Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had
to be
> turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled
away at
> NDEI was lost when that company went away.

Couldn't you do the same with the materials what Garibaldi did with Babylon
4 data?

--
Sir Thomas

Kurt Ullman

Jan 22, 2002, 8:08:25 AM1/22/02
In article <20020122001007...@mb-bj.aol.com>, jms...@aol.com (Jms
at B5) wrote:
>>I am so sorry! What the hell is wrong with
>>those people (WB)??? I feel sick to my stomach. All that great work, IS
>>LOST?!?!?! Didn't you guys keep copies of the files? the Lightwave models?
>>the Lightwave scenes? Backups? Anything?
>
>Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had to be
>turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled away at
>NDEI was lost when that company went away.

This is an old tradition at WB dating back at least to the days when Chuck
Jones and the rest of the animation department in the Old Termite Terrace
celebrated the end of a new cartoon by taking the cels, throwing them on the
floor and using them as a kind of slip-n-slide. Disney, on the other hand, I
think still has Walt's preschool finger paintings in their vault.

------------------
Remember that anecdote is not the singular of data.

Kathryn Huxtable

Jan 22, 2002, 8:50:40 AM1/22/02
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) writes:
> Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those
> images. WB had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them
> every season. All we were able to get, at the very last moment, was
> a copy of the ship files we had given Sierra for the B5 game.
> That's it.

In that case, I'd rather have the 4x3 TV release on DVD rather than a
letterboxed widescreen release a la Sci-Fi, or an anamorphic
widescreen release with lousy graphics a la ITB.

Not that anyone at WHV will listen to me.

-K

Blaine S. Gardner

Jan 22, 2002, 10:10:59 AM1/22/02
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) writes:

>>I am so sorry! What the hell is wrong with
>>those people (WB)??? I feel sick to my stomach. All that great work, IS
>>LOST?!?!?! Didn't you guys keep copies of the files? the Lightwave models?
>>the Lightwave scenes? Backups? Anything?

>Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had to be
>turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled away at
>NDEI was lost when that company went away.

Joe, can I propose that in future stories you stop nuking San Diego, and
target WB instead? (Oops, that's not a story idea, honest!)

--
Blaine Gardner bla...@xmission.com DoD#46 UB#2 FJ1200 XR600R LT250R

"Cannot run out of time. Time is infinite. You are finite. Zathras is
finite. This... is wrong tool."

Mac Breck

Jan 22, 2002, 10:11:50 AM1/22/02
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

Jan 22, 2002, 10:15:02 AM1/22/02
In article <u4q1cco...@corp.supernews.com>, "Eliyahu" <lro...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>I suppose we should be thankful you hadn't sent out to Taco Bell for dinner
>that night... Minister Taco???

Who would have to look a Chiwawa (Okay I know that isn't even close, but I
am in hurry-grin).

Kurt (Perhaps from a system around the Dog Star??) Ullman

Mac Breck

Jan 22, 2002, 10:17:10 AM1/22/02
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

Jan 22, 2002, 10:20:51 AM1/22/02
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

> > Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those
> > images. WB had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them
> > every season. All we were able to get, at the very last moment, was
> > a copy of the ship files we had given Sierra for the B5 game.
> > That's it.
>
> In that case, I'd rather have the 4x3 TV release on DVD rather than a
> letterboxed widescreen release a la Sci-Fi, or an anamorphic
> widescreen release with lousy graphics a la ITB.

Same here.

> Not that anyone at WHV will listen to me.

Not that anyone at WHV will listen to *anybody*, *ever*.

Andrew

Jan 22, 2002, 3:33:57 PM1/22/02

> [ The following text is in the "Windows-1252" character set. ]
> [ Your display is set for the "US-ASCII" character set. ]
> [ Some characters may be displayed incorrectly. ]

I'm guessing that Sci-Fi is adding them. EFC didn't have the thingies when
it originally aired, but it does in the Sci-Fi reruns. I'm *guessing* that
Sci-Fi asks shows to create them that are running new (like Farscape and
Rangers), which is why those are animated w/music, as compared to the still
frame with silence that EFC has.

Dave Thomer

Jan 22, 2002, 11:30:40 PM1/22/02
"Mac Breck" <macb...@access995.com> wrote in message

> No, between the commercial break, and where the movie picks up again,

> there's a few seconds of material that has the title on it, and some
music.
> That's the stuff I mean, not the black frames.

I think they're called bumpers.

--
Dave Thomer
This Is Not News - www.notnews.org

Bill Haverberg

Jan 22, 2002, 9:41:03 PM1/22/02
On Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:48:29 -0500, Daniel Olin Miller
<dmil...@ecn.purdue.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Bill Haverberg wrote:
>
>> >Understand, however, that we did not *have* that software, or those images. WB
>> >had literally lost all the CGI archives we gave them every season. All we were
>> >able to get, at the very last moment, was a copy of the ship files we had
>> >given Sierra for the B5 game. That's it.
>> >

>> > jms
>> >
>> You know, I'm starting to understand now why Kubrich had all the sets
>> and props destroyed from 2001...
>
>That's rather cruel, don't you think?

I was being sardonic.

What was that line again from the Inquisitor, "Better to ... then to
preserve the illusion of false hope"?

Kubrich did it because he knew the schlockmeisters would churn out
wave after wave of lousy SF using his props and sets - look what they
did with "Also Sprach Zarathrusta", selling everything from used cars
to steak houses, not to mention what Elvis did with it.

The moment you turn over the work and inspiration and dedication of
years of work to pinheads you're throwing the dice on disappointment.
If you can live with that, fine, but if you're a perfectionist like
Kubrich was, better to get it over with with a feeling of control and
certainty.

The only question remaining is, is JMS saddened and angry by this, or
relieved that it won't be used for some cheesy, innuendo-laced piece
of crap ten years later. I suspect a little of the former and a lot of
the latter, he seems like the kind of guy that can pick up the pieces
and use them to make something even better then before. He is a man
used to dissapointment and used to suceeding despite of it through
sheer force of will.

Jan

Jan 22, 2002, 7:53:21 PM1/22/02
Matt Ion wondered:

<<I've often wondered what would happen if someone sent the Narn Bat Squad to
Joe's door...>>

He'd invite them in and serve them some Breen and Flarn with a fresh spoo
appetizer.

Jan

David Tobias

Jan 22, 2002, 11:07:43 PM1/22/02
> [...]

> >small of a ship?
>
> Given the small ins and outs and access hatches and panels and sub-halls
and
> the like...real possible.
>
> >The Liandra, a 20 year old ship, hit the enemy ships, several times with
her
> >fireballs (why no traditional Minbari green slicer beams?)
>
> Not a big enough ship with a big enough power source.
>
> >I can't see the Liandra making any
> >headway against a Shadow Battlecrab. "Seems" inconsistent.
>
> It wasn't a shadow battlecrab. It was tough, but it wasn't one of those.
The
> hand wouldn't give out that kind of power to flunkies.

> jms
>
> (jms...@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine

Just a general comment about the new hyperspace...
I like the way it look and it seems more like a "hyperspace" as opposed to a
simple conduit (the name seems to fit better with the new picture) However,
I do sort of prefer the old hyperspace for the simple reason that it was far
easier to have things happen within hyperspace. For example, The Well of
Forever, and in other episodes (not sure when, but I think almost definitely
in Crusade) when people performed EVA in hyperspace... this would seem
unlikely in the "new" hyperspace due to its more turbulent nature. At least
it seemed that the Liandra and perhaps the Valen too(not sure about this)
were bounced around quite a bit in hyperspace. I don't know if I'd want
people moving around freely when the ships are having difficulty.
I still can't believe that WB actually lost all the EFX stuff from B5... I
hope we don't here about the auctioning of "long lost CGI files" 10 years
from now.

Brian Smith

Jan 22, 2002, 8:06:01 PM1/22/02
> Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had to be
> turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled away at
> NDEI was lost when that company went away.

Y'know, I had a pretty low opinion of WB before this, but I never EVER
EVER imagine they could lose anything as important as this. Wow. How
? I mean...HOW COULD YOU LOSE 'EM ! Were they casually thrown in a
drawer marked Beware of the Leopard in a sub-basement with no stairs
or lights ?

How ?

Rob Scott

Jan 23, 2002, 3:11:02 PM1/23/02
"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote ...

> Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had
to be
> turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled
away at
> NDEI was lost when that company went away.
>
> jms
>
> (jms...@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Damn.

Rob Scott

Blair Leatherwood

Jan 23, 2002, 7:38:24 PM1/23/02
spoo appetizer--a new oxymoron!

Aisling Willow Grey

Jan 23, 2002, 7:52:38 PM1/23/02
>>Jan wrote:

What, no Zima?

<grinning, ducking, and running>

Aisling Grey
* * *
Proud driver of a Rangers-wrapped car:
http://www.fjordstone.com/gcar.html
And now new and improved wrapped car pictures at
http://www.fjordstone.com/gcar2.html

kevin kenney

Jan 24, 2002, 12:56:10 AM1/24/02
Sounds like you should contact Pat Tallman, whom I think got at least
some of the NDEI stuff (as well as the fan club stuff) when it
evaporated...

Jms at B5 wrote:

> >I am so sorry! What the hell is wrong with
> >those people (WB)??? I feel sick to my stomach. All that great work, IS
> >LOST?!?!?! Didn't you guys keep copies of the files? the Lightwave models?
> >the Lightwave scenes? Backups? Anything?

Jan

Jan 24, 2002, 7:01:54 AM1/24/02
Aisling Grey wrote:

<< >>Jan wrote:

> Matt Ion wondered:
>
> <<I've often wondered what would happen if someone sent the Narn Bat Squad to
> Joe's door...>>
>
> He'd invite them in and serve them some Breen and Flarn with a fresh spoo
> appetizer.<<

What, no Zima?>>

Oh absolutely! On the rocks, of course.

Jan

Jan

Jan 24, 2002, 7:02:45 AM1/24/02
Blair Leatherwood wrote:

<<spoo appetizer--a new oxymoron!>>

Hmm..you may be right there :-)

Jan

Mac Breck

Jan 24, 2002, 4:11:05 PM1/24/02
[ Your display is set for the "ISO-8859-1" character set. ]

Argh! What the heck was I thinking? The Needs of Earth was the first
episode of Crusade. We saw Whitestars, B5 and it's familiar surroundings in
Crusade, so you *had* the files then. You probably only discovered the
problem since the demise of Netter Digital, when you had to look for the
files elsewhere.

> So, I guess re-rendering the CGI for Widescreen is now completely
> impossible.
>
> Is all of the Crusade stuff lost as well?

Is anybody at WB still looking for this stuff?

Stan Witherspoon

Jan 25, 2002, 1:04:32 PM1/25/02
Jms,

About the lost B5 Lightwave data,
could these guys and their meshes help? They seem to have quite a
collection of Lightwave meshes that they have reverese engineered.

The meshes are under Lightwave meshes at the bottom of the main page.

http://www.tp2b.de/

Thank you for everything. A loyal fan since I ran across TWCNBN back in
89? Good luck with B5-LotR, Jeremiah, Spidey, Delicate Creatures, and
all of the other projects you are working on that I can't keep track of.

Stan

Jms at B5 wrote:
>>I am so sorry! What the hell is wrong with
>>those people (WB)??? I feel sick to my stomach. All that great work, IS
>>LOST?!?!?! Didn't you guys keep copies of the files? the Lightwave models?
>>the Lightwave scenes? Backups? Anything?
>>

> Babylonian Productions was not allowed to keep this material, it all had to be
> turned over to WB each year, and what could have been maybe squirreled away at
> NDEI was lost when that company went away.

Dan Dassow

Jan 24, 2002, 10:48:37 PM1/24/02
jms...@aol.com (Jms at B5) wrote in message news:<20020121183918...@mb-fc.aol.com>...
> >Incidentally, small point here, but I feel I have to make it: everyone
> >has been calling him Minister "Kafka," and while that's certainly
> >humorous (he does look sort of bug-like), it's actually "Kafta."
>
> Which is a middle-eastern term for a kind of meatball.
>
> See, I was writing, it was late, I was having some hummus, some pita, some
> khibbe and some kafta, I needed a name...you get the picture.
>
> It was either that or Minister Khibbe.

> jms
>
> (jms...@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

Joe,
We've all heard the saying, "You are what you eat," but this is the first
time I've heard that a charter is what the writer eats. :-)

Dan Dassow

Joseph DeMartino

Jan 25, 2002, 8:11:25 PM1/25/02
> We've all heard the saying, "You are what you eat," but this is the
first
time I've heard that a charter is what the writer eats. :-)

Maybe we should change it to, "You write what you eat."

Regards,

Joe

Jan

Jan 26, 2002, 8:24:31 AM1/26/02
Joe DeMartino wrote:

Which is vastly preferable to having to eat your (written) words...<g>

Jan
who thinks she hears a lot of people coming up her stairs

Mac Breck

Feb 19, 2002, 3:24:55 PM2/19/02
A re-send, since the first never made it.

"Jms at B5" <jms...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >In Dulann's vision (when he was in the hallway of the Liandra, checking
> >systems before they took off), he saw Minister Kafka, the right side of
his
> >face already beaten up. This hadn't happened yet.
>
> Recheck your tape...that shot ain't there.
>

> jms
>
> (jms...@aol.com)
> (all message content (c) 2001 by synthetic worlds, ltd.,
> permission to reprint specifically denied to SFX Magazine
> and don't send me story ideas)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/macbreck/photoalbum/images/Dulann-Kafta%20Clip.jp

Mac Breck
Crusade (reruns) start 03/26/2002 at 1PM EST on the Sci-Fi Channel
http://www.scifi.com/b5rangers/ http://www.b5lr.com/