So what is it 3*20 min? or is there more.

Tobias Ussing

Jul 25, 2006, 5:28:00 PM7/25/06
As far as i can see it only says "the first" will be three episodes, about
three different characters. Each episode will be 20 minutes.

Which might read to a pessimist that it will be a dvd with one hour of
material. Which i will of course buy. But, is there more on the
pipeline(besides for the "the first", which i must admit doesn't really
make me feel secure that there will be more).

Is there any more information out there on how much will be produced?

Sincerely
Tobias

Thunder 06

Jul 26, 2006, 1:42:43 AM7/26/06
Tobias Ussing wrote:
> Is there any more information out there on how much will be produced?

Not so far... but I'm sure JMS will tell us when he can.

t.k.

jms...@aol.com

Jul 26, 2006, 5:51:53 AM7/26/06

No, it's closer to one-half-hour per story, so figure about 75-90
minutes per DVD, plus additional material adding up to a two-hour DVD.

jms

Message has been deleted

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 26, 2006, 12:38:46 PM7/26/06
alex_t wrote:

> So it won't be usual TV-ish 22 minutes or 42 minutes?

Er... in answer to the question, "Is this going to be a 20-some minute
made-for-TV half hour", an answer you QUOTED IN YOUR OWN MESSAGE, JMS
said:

> > No, it's closer to ONE HALF-HOUR per story, so figure about 75-90

> > minutes per DVD, plus additional material adding up to a two-hour DVD.

As G'Kar might say, "Which part of this progression escapes you?"

Regards,

Joe

Thunder 06

Jul 26, 2006, 1:51:04 PM7/26/06
Joseph DeMartino wrote:
> Er... in answer to the question, "Is this going to be a 20-some minute
> made-for-TV half hour", an answer you QUOTED IN YOUR OWN MESSAGE, JMS
> said:

Er, did he say that in the same thread? I don't see it...

t.k.

Amy Guskin

Jul 26, 2006, 2:07:44 PM7/26/06
>> On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 13:51:04 -0400, Thunder 06 wrote
(in article <cYNxg.240619$iF6.182625@pd7tw2no>):

You're kidding, right?

Thunder 06

Jul 26, 2006, 3:39:08 PM7/26/06
Amy Guskin wrote:
> You're kidding, right?

Heres what I see...

---
JMS said...

>No, it's closer to one-half-hour per story, so figure about 75-90

>>minutes per DVD, plus additional material adding up to a two-hour DVD.

alex_t replied:

Joe D. said:

> Er... in answer to the question, "Is this going to be a 20-some minute
> made-for-TV half hour", an answer you QUOTED IN YOUR OWN MESSAGE, JMS
> said:

<snip. Repeats JMS quote>

> As G'Kar might say, "Which part of this progression escapes you?"
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe

So, I'm missing a post or something... I dunno.

t.k.

Jan

Jul 26, 2006, 4:00:46 PM7/26/06
In article <wxPxg.242805$Mn5.142297@pd7tw3no>, Thunder 06 says...

No, there's no missing post. JMS said how long each story would be so no, they
*won't* be the usual lengths, they'll be about half an hour per story, as he
said.

BTW, it's not just you asking. People all over are seeming to insist on
subtracting commercial time for a direct to DVD product that won't have the
usual commercials.

Jan

--
We are the voice of the universe, the soul of creation,
The fire that will light the way to a better future.

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 26, 2006, 4:03:59 PM7/26/06
Thunder 06 wrote:
> Er, did he say that in the same thread? I don't see it...
>
> t.k.

JMS said it in THIS thread, in his one and only post here. In quoting
his reply I just capitalized some words for emphasis.

Joe

Message has been deleted

Jan

Jul 26, 2006, 4:53:16 PM7/26/06
In article <1153946386.2...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>, alex_t
says...

>TV half-hour is 22 minutes + advertising
>TV hour is 42 minutes + advertising
>
>I was wondering which half-hour was mentioned: normal (30 minutes) or
>TV (22 minutes) ... (as JMS is a TV person, he *could* have meant TV
>one).
>After all, if there is any hope of TV broadcast for the new series, it
>should be in some of TV format... though 30 + 30 + 30 give us 2 hours -
>in TV time ;-)

Except that this is a direct to DVD project with only the possibility of
broadcast for now.

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 26, 2006, 5:34:56 PM7/26/06
alex_t said:

> > As G'Kar might say, "Which part of this progression escapes you?"

Let's try this again:

An earlier post in this thread suggests that the individual segments
might only be about 20 minutes. ("TV time" as you put it.)

JMS said:

"No, it's closer to one-half-hour per story, so figure about 75-90

minutes per DVD, plus additional material adding up to a two-hour DVD.
"

Since these are being packaged as blocks of 3 stories that obviously
also means that they'd total about about 75 to 90 minutes per "unit"
*without* the DVD bonus material - which would allow them to fit into
90 minute or 2 hour "TV time" slots an intermittent TV movies.

ALL of this information was already in this thread before you posted
any comments.

Clearer?

Regards,

Joe

alex_t

Jul 26, 2006, 7:34:57 PM7/26/06

> Clearer?

Yes, I already regret that I started posting in this newsgroup. I
always mess up.

My last attempt to save face:
1. In my original message I just asked for confirmation.
2. 75 / 3 = 25 (and 25 is almost 22).

Jan

Jul 26, 2006, 8:24:48 PM7/26/06
In article <1153956897.7...@p79g2000cwp.googlegroups.com>, alex_t
says...

>> Clearer?
>
>Yes, I already regret that I started posting in this newsgroup. I
>always mess up.

Please, *don't* regret it and don't leave on account of people being brusque.
I'm afraid you just got the brunt of the fact that all sorts of people have been
asking the same thing on various sites, automatically deducting commercial time
when none is needed. I know that Joe DeM has answered much the same question in
other places.

I would think that, since there aren't any constraints to the direct-to-DVD
length, that JMS will probably shoot for the 30 minute mark but take as long as
necessary for that segment. That's going to be a major benefit to this
distribution form.

Heather Fleming

Jul 26, 2006, 10:18:13 PM7/26/06

Don't regret posting. This is a great time for Babylon 5 fans. Come and
join the party.

I understand the confusion. There is a possibility that this show will get
a network airing before a direct to DVD release. Consequently you may
expect that even though JMS states that it will be about 30 minutes a
network might insist that it be 22 minutes to fit into a half hour block. I
don't think you need to worry though because if a network does air this show
it will most likely air all 3 episodes (about 90 mintes) in a two hour block
(about 30 minutes for advertising). Anyway JMS implies that there will be
more than just these three shows.

Don't regret posting

-Tim

"alex_t" <ateres...@googlemail.com> wrote in message

Thunder 06

Jul 27, 2006, 2:28:53 AM7/27/06
Jan wrote:
> No, there's no missing post. JMS said how long each story would be so no, they
> *won't* be the usual lengths, they'll be about half an hour per story, as he

Okay. I got confused when Joe D. went and "quoted" the guy but
completely changed what he said. It all seemed a reasonable progression
to me.

Anyhoo...

t.k.

Amy Guskin

Jul 27, 2006, 9:41:33 AM7/27/06
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 02:28:53 -0400, Thunder 06 wrote
(in article <F2Zxg.245437$Mn5.134975@pd7tw3no>):

The only thing JoeDM changed in JMS's quote is that he made a few words all
capitals; the words themselves are the same.

Amy

Thunder 06

Jul 27, 2006, 1:14:14 PM7/27/06
Amy Guskin wrote:
> The only thing JoeDM changed in JMS's quote is that he made a few words all
> capitals; the words themselves are the same.

No, it's completely different as I already pointed out in a earlier post
(the quote that alex_t had, not what JMS said).

But, whatever...

t.k.

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 27, 2006, 2:10:42 PM7/27/06
Amy Guskin wrote:

> The only thing JoeDM changed in JMS's quote is that he made a few words all
> capitals; the words themselves are the same.

In fairness, I *did* paraphrase a question from earlier in this thread
about the 30 minutes vs. 20 minutes thing because I was trying to
clarify the question and also had in mind essentially *the same*
question that had been asked (and answered) in another thread as well.
But I also directly quoted Alex_t's version of the question (which
was not substantially different in *meaning* even if the words were
different) in a later post. And that didn't seem to help anybody
understand what I was driving at, either. <g>

Regards,

Joe

alex_t

Jul 27, 2006, 7:19:44 PM7/27/06
Well, it's not like I'm posting a lot anyway - a lurker should stay
lurker.

alex_t

Jul 27, 2006, 7:28:29 PM7/27/06
O.K., my original question was redundant and useless and pointless.
Happy now? <vbg>

I just wanted to confirm EXACTLY (for sure, 100%) if it won't be 22
minutes long, because if there is a possibility of TV release - then it
could have being 22 minutes (because 22 minutes are "closer to
one-half-hour" then 20 minutes in original message from Tobias Ussing.
And some shows strech 22 minutes to 23 or even 24 :-P

alex_t

Jul 27, 2006, 7:29:07 PM7/27/06

> In fairness, I *did* paraphrase a question from earlier in this thread
> about the 30 minutes vs. 20 minutes thing because I was trying to
> clarify the question and also had in mind essentially *the same*
> question that had been asked (and answered) in another thread as well.
> But I also directly quoted Alex_t's version of the question (which
> was not substantially different in *meaning* even if the words were
> different) in a later post. And that didn't seem to help anybody
> understand what I was driving at, either. <g>

Either way, it is bad for Zathras... <g>

Jan

Jul 27, 2006, 7:56:28 PM7/27/06
In article <1154042384.3...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>, alex_t
says...

>Well, it's not like I'm posting a lot anyway - a lurker should stay
>lurker.

Nononono, you've got it all wrong! Lurkers should become posters! Almost every
convention I go to I talk to people in line and find out they're lurkers and I
keep trying to convince them to post. So far everybody I've met has been fun to
talk to and they would be great posters. So stick around!

Methuselah Jones

Jul 27, 2006, 10:12:48 PM7/27/06
Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of
alex_t of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

For Zathras, or for Zathras?

--
Methuselah
"My symbiotic relationship with squirrels is rather complex and multi-

Hendrik Boom

Jul 27, 2006, 1:23:55 PM7/27/06

If so, I too am missing a post -- the one everyone is talking about where
JMS says all this. Is it possible something has gone wrong with usenet,
and it hasn't propagated although all the followups have?
If more people have this problem, maybe a rare repost would be in order.

-- hendrik

TheChaz

Jul 27, 2006, 7:39:35 PM7/27/06
Any hints at which characters we might be seeing?

Amy Guskin

Jul 28, 2006, 12:23:44 AM7/28/06
>> On Thu, 27 Jul 2006 13:23:55 -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote
(in article <pan.2006.07.27....@topoi.pooq.com>):

No, there's no missing post. It's just a failure to communicate (which I am
_certain_ will clear up tomorrow evening when the mischievous retrograde
Mercury goes direct, for those who follow such things <g>).

Amy

The Nuclear Marine

Jul 28, 2006, 1:50:14 AM7/28/06
Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in news:eabjr...@drn.newsguy.com:

> In article <1154042384.3...@75g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> alex_t says...
>>
>>Well, it's not like I'm posting a lot anyway - a lurker should stay
>>lurker.
>>

> Nononono, you've got it all wrong! Lurkers should become posters!
> Almost every convention I go to I talk to people in line and find out
> they're lurkers and I keep trying to convince them to post. So far
> everybody I've met has been fun to talk to and they would be great
> posters. So stick around!
>
> Jan

You wait in line at conventions? Fascinating, never got into that myself.
Maybe that's why we never talked.

Nuke

--
There comes a time in every man's life when he must die - Charles Applin

I'm kinda divided on this whole abortion issue. On one hand, I'm not about
to let no woman control nothing, especially her own body. On the other
hand, I really hate babies.

alex_t

Jul 28, 2006, 3:20:44 AM7/28/06

> For Zathras, or for Zathras?

No, for Zathras!

Jan

Jul 28, 2006, 7:28:36 AM7/28/06
In article <Xns980DE850A1...@70.169.32.36>, The Nuclear Marine says...

>You wait in line at conventions? Fascinating, never got into that myself.
>Maybe that's why we never talked.
>
>Nuke

Wow, if you managed to get into JMS's spotlight *without* standing in line last
Saturday, I'd love to know how you did it! But yeah, I stand in line for
getting into panels that I really want to attend and I stand in line for the
occassional autograph. There are always people to talk to so I don't mind it
most of the time.

Wendy of NJ

Jul 28, 2006, 10:47:23 AM7/28/06
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 04:23:44 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
wrote:

Yeah, it's been one helluva month, hasn't it?

-Wendy

The Nuclear Marine

Jul 28, 2006, 12:01:06 PM7/28/06
Jan <janmsc...@aol.com> wrote in news:eacsd...@drn.newsguy.com:

> In article <Xns980DE850A1...@70.169.32.36>, The Nuclear
> Marine says...
>>
>>You wait in line at conventions? Fascinating, never got into that
>>myself. Maybe that's why we never talked.
>>
>>Nuke
>>

> Wow, if you managed to get into JMS's spotlight *without* standing in
> line last Saturday, I'd love to know how you did it! But yeah, I
> stand in line for getting into panels that I really want to attend and
> I stand in line for the occassional autograph. There are always
> people to talk to so I don't mind it most of the time.
>
> Jan

The secret is to go in during the Avatar: The Last Airbender panel. How I
got into that one is a trade secret (well, more of being an asshole). I
sat through the Bruce Campbell panel which was actually pretty good (he
was the reason there was a long line for the room anyway). Sad part is
that there were plenty of seats for jms's panel, which meant people were
waiting in line for nothing (or got discouraged).

I was the guy in the blue shirt that asked the first question (black
hair, glasses) at the microphone in front of the fellow that gave jms
that cd with Star Wreck on it. By the way, that fellow walking up to the
table and putting that cd there without comment was kinda weird.

So, did you ask a question? Granted I doubt I'd remember. My question
asked about how he's put a bit of his life experience onto his characters
(childhood experience in school on Emil Banks in Supreme Power, mugging
in San Diego on Dr. Franklin in B5, etc.) I asked had he ever fealt a few
times if he was revealing a bit too much. Mental note to avoid asking
yes/no questions cause that's normally the answer you get. Jms did
provide a great answer that you have to be true to yourself.

I then commented about something I realized, jms's works to me seem to be
best when more people are involved bringing it to light. Hard to
quantify, but I bring in Neil Gaiman. When it's just Neil, his work is
outstanding. When Neil's work gets more people involved, it seems to be
less so. But jms I guess writes in a manner that those that have a part
in developing it (artists at Marvel, directors and actors and production
on TV) can give their best to it. I'm not sure, just a random comment.

Next year, for some reason, I think jms panels may be a bit more crowded
if he's able to attend. Sadly, won't be able to be there (unless I fly in
from Japan).

Jan

Jul 28, 2006, 1:30:33 PM7/28/06
In article <Xns980E5BBB31...@70.169.32.36>, The Nuclear Marine says...
>The secret is to go in during the Avatar: The Last Airbender panel. How I
>got into that one is a trade secret (well, more of being an asshole). I
>sat through the Bruce Campbell panel which was actually pretty good (he
>was the reason there was a long line for the room anyway). Sad part is
>that there were plenty of seats for jms's panel, which meant people were
>waiting in line for nothing (or got discouraged).

A lot of people got discouraged. I'd actually gone in during the Nickolodeon
panel but had to leave for a minute. By the time I got back, the line was way
down the hall. I got in for the Bruce Campbell/Briscoe County one (and yes, I
got a horse <g>) and then slid up to the front row for JMS's spotlight because I
was going to record it.

>I was the guy in the blue shirt that asked the first question (black
>hair, glasses) at the microphone in front of the fellow that gave jms
>that cd with Star Wreck on it. By the way, that fellow walking up to the
>table and putting that cd there without comment was kinda weird.

Yeah, I thought so too. I caught a glimpse of the CD and it wasn't even labeled
I don't think. I sure wouldn't put it in my computer if I were JMS.

>So, did you ask a question? Granted I doubt I'd remember. My question
>asked about how he's put a bit of his life experience onto his characters
>(childhood experience in school on Emil Banks in Supreme Power, mugging
>in San Diego on Dr. Franklin in B5, etc.) I asked had he ever fealt a few
>times if he was revealing a bit too much. Mental note to avoid asking
>yes/no questions cause that's normally the answer you get. Jms did
>provide a great answer that you have to be true to yourself.

No, I didn't ask anything. I did love your question, though, because it's true
that the more of his stuff you read/watch, the more you find that he draws on
his own life.

>I then commented about something I realized, jms's works to me seem to be
>best when more people are involved bringing it to light. Hard to
>quantify, but I bring in Neil Gaiman. When it's just Neil, his work is
>outstanding. When Neil's work gets more people involved, it seems to be
>less so. But jms I guess writes in a manner that those that have a part
>in developing it (artists at Marvel, directors and actors and production
>on TV) can give their best to it. I'm not sure, just a random comment.

I don't disagree. There seems to be something about his work that brings out
the best from the people who contribute to bringing it to life. On the other
hand, I'm particularly looking forward to the Lost Tales to see more of JMS'
directing. SiL was so perfect, I look forward to seeing more examples of
episodes that are exactly the way he sees it when he's writing it.

>Next year, for some reason, I think jms panels may be a bit more crowded
>if he's able to attend. Sadly, won't be able to be there (unless I fly in
>from Japan).

I'm surprised to hear that there were that many seats available but I'm sure
with the Lost Tales and Changeling and everything else, there'll be more people
who know his name, that's for sure.

Next time we'll have to see about at least meeting long enough to say 'Hi'.

Grandpa Garibaldi

Jul 28, 2006, 4:13:10 PM7/28/06

Joseph DeMartino wrote:

> Since these are being packaged as blocks of 3 stories that obviously
> also means that they'd total about about 75 to 90 minutes per "unit"
> *without* the DVD bonus material - which would allow them to fit into
> 90 minute or 2 hour "TV time" slots an intermittent TV movies.
>
> ALL of this information was already in this thread before you posted
> any comments.
>
> Clearer?
>
> Regards,
>
> Joe

You do not want to count the Elevator Boy???

Grandpa

--------------------------
Follow in your books as we learn three new words in Turkish.
towel... border... bath...
May I see your passport, please?

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 28, 2006, 4:27:43 PM7/28/06
It may just be that my brain has shut down early on a Friday afternoon,
but I literally have no idea what this reply means, even after reading
the whole message a couple of times and searching the rest of the
thread for clues.

"Elevator Boy"?

Anybody wanna help me out here? <g>

Joe

Wesley Struebing

Jul 28, 2006, 7:44:53 PM7/28/06
On 28 Jul 2006 00:20:44 -0700, "alex_t" <ateres...@googlemail.com>
wrote:

>> For Zathras, or for Zathras?
>
>No, for Zathras!

....at least there is symmetry...

--

Wes Struebing

and to the republic which it established, one nation from many peoples,
promising liberty and justice for all.

Wesley Struebing

Jul 28, 2006, 7:46:17 PM7/28/06
On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:47:23 GMT, Wendy of NJ <voxw...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Jul 2006 04:23:44 GMT, Amy Guskin <ais...@fjordstone.com>
>wrote:

<snip>

>>No, there's no missing post. It's just a failure to communicate (which I am
>>_certain_ will clear up tomorrow evening when the mischievous retrograde
>>Mercury goes direct, for those who follow such things <g>).
>>
>>Amy
>
>Yeah, it's been one helluva month, hasn't it?

By God! Einstein was *right*!

Amy Guskin

Jul 28, 2006, 8:36:30 PM7/28/06
(in article <1154118463....@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>):

> It may just be that my brain has shut down early on a Friday afternoon,
> but I literally have no idea what this reply means, even after reading
> the whole message a couple of times and searching the rest of the
> thread for clues.
>
> "Elevator Boy"?
>
> Anybody wanna help me out here? <g> <<

Sorry, I'm as in the dark as you are. And what the heck are you doing top
posting?? :-p

Amy

Joseph DeMartino

Jul 28, 2006, 8:59:23 PM7/28/06
Amy Guskin wrote:
> Sorry, I'm as in the dark as you are. And what the heck are you doing top
> posting?? :-p

In this case it seemed more efficient with my comment/question
preceding the unaltered orginal message. <g>

Joe

ljg701

Jul 31, 2006, 2:17:04 PM7/31/06
jms...@aol.com wrote:

> No, it's closer to one-half-hour per story, so figure about 75-90
> minutes per DVD, plus additional material adding up to a two-hour DVD.
>

> jms

Jms, are you able to say if the current deal is for only one DVD (and I
presume more if it does well) or if a deal has already been made for a
series of DVDs? Your postings hint at a a series of DVDs, but does this
depend on how well the first one does?

kind regards.