JMS at Mars Society Confernce

harold...@comcast.net

Aug 18, 2008, 6:58:35 PM8/18/08
Hiya B5'ers,

I attended the Mars Society Conference in Boulder [Univ of Colorado],
and met The Great Maker, asked him a question during his Q&A, and even
got to shake his hand afterwards. :-)
I've been a fan since the days of "That Which Cannot Be Named", so I
was pleased to finally be able to meet him.

He had his own presentation on Friday, then participated in a panel
discussion on Saturday on "Religion and Space".

Some quick notes-quotes-observations on his presentation and the
panel:

Rumors about a Mars colony TV show in the works.
"My job is to ask questions, and start barfights".
"No diety in any religion is better than the average person".
"Tyranny of the Known" - ideas based merely on what already exists.
Science Fiction is the literature of hope.
He said more than once about how those in the audience were smarter
than he was.
The conference agenda had jms listed as "Michael J. Straczynski".

The panel included two Lutheran ministers, a Catholic brother, the
president of the Mars Society, and jms as the resident atheist. :-)
It was a lively discussion, jms more than held his own.
BTW, the Catholic brother is head of the Vatican Obervatory, and he is
said to be the basis for the American priest at the Observatory in The
DaVinci Code.

Anyway, that's what I can come up with the day after. :-)

Hal
Denver, Colorado
[who hopes TPTB cave in and give jms the go for a $$$movie]

Ever since happiness heard your name, it has been running through the
streets trying to find you. ~~ Hafiz

Jan

Aug 19, 2008, 10:11:52 PM8/19/08
In article <qqsja4h20md234ebt...@4ax.com>,
harold...@comcast.net says...

>Hiya B5'ers,
>
>I attended the Mars Society Conference in Boulder [Univ of Colorado],
>and met The Great Maker, asked him a question during his Q&A, and even
>got to shake his hand afterwards. :-)
>I've been a fan since the days of "That Which Cannot Be Named", so I
>was pleased to finally be able to meet him.
>
>He had his own presentation on Friday, then participated in a panel
>discussion on Saturday on "Religion and Space".

What was the presentation on Friday about?

>Some quick notes-quotes-observations on his presentation and the
>panel:
>
>Rumors about a Mars colony TV show in the works.
>"My job is to ask questions, and start barfights".
>"No diety in any religion is better than the average person".
>"Tyranny of the Known" - ideas based merely on what already exists.
>Science Fiction is the literature of hope.
>He said more than once about how those in the audience were smarter
>than he was.

Piffle. JMS just keeps his letters *in* his name, not after it. <g>

>The conference agenda had jms listed as "Michael J. Straczynski".
>
>The panel included two Lutheran ministers, a Catholic brother, the
>president of the Mars Society, and jms as the resident atheist. :-)
>It was a lively discussion, jms more than held his own.

I wish they'd allowed for more time for that panel. It seemed like the
discussion was just getting going when they ended it.

>BTW, the Catholic brother is head of the Vatican Obervatory, and he is
>said to be the basis for the American priest at the Observatory in The
>DaVinci Code.

I liked him and his assertion that he became a scientist because it was fun more
than anything else.

--
I try never to get involved in my own life. Too much trouble.